FF: Will-O'-the-Wisp - On hold indefinitely

Posted: 12 years ago
Will-O'-the-Wisp

Credit for all siggies in thread goes to --Ratna--

Yes...you read it right. The merged picture of Yami Gautam and Kunal Kapoor that is posted below is what started it all. And just to make it a tad bit more engaging than the usual ;), I have made it into a story game.

A bunch of us began talking about what the pictures were telling us, and thus began, Will-O'-the-Wisp. Out of the discussions so far came the first part posted in the Index.

Its quite simple to play this, if you choose to that is. Read the story and make suggestions for the plot/scene choices. I being the one, who spurred the game into motion, direct the plot progress and also summarize the discussions into story updates.

Even one suggestion, buys you a ticket into the Plot members list. So don't sit back...and let loose with your thoughts and recommendations.

A will-o'-the-wisp is a ghostly light seen by travellers at night, especially over bogs, swamps or marshes. It resembles a flickering lamp and is said to recede if approached, drawing travellers from the safe paths

Folk belief attributes the phenomenon to fairies or elemental spirits.

In European folklore, these lights are held to be either mischievous spirits of the dead, or other supernatural beings or spirits such as fairies, attempting to lead travellers astray.

Index

Part 1: The story so far...
Part 2: Meant to be
Part 3: Teeki Mirchi
Part 4: The Ghosts of his writing past
Part 5: Bursting bubbles
Part 6: A Loud mouth
Part 7: Nancy Drew
Part 8: Caught in the act
Part 9: Spider Man
Part 10: Grey Scale
Part 11: A morning of many firsts

Edited by 6th.Element - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

As promised, this is the Plot members list...

--Ratna--
ajenn
Kaamchorni
Jyoti_l
Ms.Anonymous
Ramhari
Ucompleteme

A big THANK YOU to you girls for indulging me...
Edited by 6th.Element - 12 years ago
Part 1: The Story so far...

Dismissed indefinitely...

He knew what that meant in the line of work he came from. The newspaper wasn't going to require him to report for duty until all the dust around the death of the actress would settle and no one can remember anything of it, unless they were to make a movie of it. But even as others didn't ask of him for answers, he was already aware that every waking day required him to face them just the same. He was in long denial that seeking out his childhood home at this hour, was merely to save on the exorbitant rents of Mumbai, while he waited out for the office memo to arrive. While he was asked to sit and meditate on the shadow of invisible yet indefatigable power his words wielded on the lives of men and women who read them.

Today, the last stretch of bus journey to his Chacha's place in purana Lucknow wasn't any different from the other times he'd traveled these aged roads and there was the same familiar welcome in the pits of the highway that bounced him high and low in his seat. The air in Lucknow, to him, was just as old, filled with stories of a lost beauty of another time and royalty. Of fragrant Urdu and overtly polite addressing and the ever-present fading scent of cardamom and basmati in the air. It was the land were people cussed with intractable respect for the object of their frustration.

Mumbai had changed it all for him, when he left in search of a living after his higher education in Bangalore. Going behind stories that wanted to be told, which held the glorious lifetime of one living day on the thin frail paper it was printed on, satisfied him more than sitting behind a desk and a computer. He worked in the streets, in the run that tired his limbs, in the sweat that flooded his pores from the searching, in the days and nights that sometimes went by without food or water. It was more than an addiction. It was his way of living the story.

Now, not so subtle in its irony, his own story was haunting him, determined to make into every one of his awakening thoughts. Without reason, he assured himself he wasn't going to let that happen to him in Lucknow. He was going to shut himself in the second floor room, he was used to having in his Chacha's home and sleep until he could no longer sleep; until he could claim he was weary of sleep.

But little did he know then that it was wishful thinking only proposed from his end. That the room had been disposed off to tenants new to their town: a school teacher and her six year old daughter.

"I didn't think you would ever come back here, Dhruv...She was new to lucknow...and the child looked like the one you would have had, had you been married by now...I wouldn't have rented it out had it been anyone else" His Chacha told him right after they sat at the chai shop, opposite their greying home.

His eyes lifted to the pink, blue and purple dupattas that billowed in the gentle drift of sun warmed breeze, as he said, "Chacha...I'm here...And can we do without your could-have-beens for this one chai?"

Towards the last sip of hot tea, a sprightly little angel in two pigtails and thick glasses came running down the stairs, almost without stopping until she dashed into his Chacha's arms.

"Daadaji..." She said gasping for air, "I'm going to school now...you take care and don't forget to water the seeds we planted yesterday"

"Ok..beta" Chachaji lifted her up into his lap.

She planted a firm kiss on his Chacha's prickly cheek, wrinkling her nose, "Daadaji...please shave. Else I won't kiss you tomorrow"

"Naina...Come let's go" He heard a woman's voice call out, when he turned in the direction of their home. The sight of her stunned him and a tight fist pummeled his heart at the same moment, making him jump up from the wooden bench he was seated in. The empty glass tumbled down to the floor from his stiffened fingers as he felt a shiver pass thought it, from the knowing haunting her eyes brought to him
and his eyes followed the clicking roll of it on the ground.

No...it wasn't her. But this woman was also her in so many forms.

So much for running into the shadows, he thought then, when there was just as much light in the depths of grey to leave him wakeful, to bring out the anguish of nightmares into the days of his life.

To be continued...
Posting the link where the Original discussions started...

LINK

Picture Album

All Credit goes to --Ratna--

THANK YOU for the awesome Siggies...

Tyro thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
finally u made a separate thread...😊
Ramhari thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Congratulations on the new thread
Me waiting for Leher's revelations
Ramhari thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
This is for Jyo  😃

You better not make me bad  

Edited by Ramhari - 12 years ago
--Ratna-- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Hasini   🤗...thank u for the new thread ...and for giving credit to my small contribution to the story 😳...so Dhruv thinks Leher looks like the actress...so can we make her the sister  and Naina the daughter of. the actress...Leher is on the run to protect the child from someone who may harm her...Dhruv our hero will come to know the truth and help them 😍...waiting eagerly for the next part ...plz continue  😊

Hima ...good pic 😆...even i want Leher to be a positive character 😊

Edited by --Ratna-- - 12 years ago
ajenn thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Congratulation on this new thread.
So eager to see the story progress.
Lot more to think.. Its time to brush up...😉