Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

vcs17 thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 1 years ago

I have written all the info, read it again 

Srk and aamir tried and put in the 90 crores or equivalent and didn’t win, so they didn’t try is not true 

So those with money in bw also tried 

Lagaan reached the nomination but paheli didn’t 

They also tried promotion in Cannes, example devdas and recently gangu, they didn’t get the traction 

We are deluding ourselves if we keep cherry picking and keep saying there are better songs then naatu why didn’t they win

You can read what semantic error says, or what clochette,several factors have to work 

And frankly except lagaan it doesn’t for any other Hindi movie 

So no there is not some big list of movies which could have won 

As a whole package there are rarely any movies which work 

In fact I would say a Tamil, Malayalam or even Marathi movie if it had money had better package

I guess I have answered whatever I can

MostlyHarmIess thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: atominis

So films from other nations can also compete in other categories beyond just foreign ones? It is not new then?

Why Indian ones did not try further then?

Like we had to make do with Mother India and Lagaan only in foreign language category.

Otherwise we had lot of Indian content that could have probably been sent to Oscars.

Or had a shot at winning. I mean let's face it, India has seen better songs than Naatu.

I was just curious why it happened only now and never happened earlier and why it is so rare for Indian films to be nominated at Oscars in any category.

Very rarely do Asian films make it into general categories. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was the only film for years to get a best picture nomination and that had Ang Lee behind it. A few Japanese artists and directors have acting nominations and that was largely it for years. This is why Michelle's win is such a watershed moment. 

Parasite and Drive My Car making it into general nominations is all rather new. It is insane that there have been Asians nominated for best director for the last four years in a row. 

RRR is joining a very small list of Asian films. Before this, there wasn't much hope of getting a nomination, even though people have tried as vcs17 has pointed out. For Indian films, with a weaker currency vis a vis China, Korea and Japan, an Oscar campaign is absolutely not economically sensible. 

MostlyHarmIess thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: atominis

Or had a shot at winning. I mean let's face it, India has seen better songs than Naatu.

Again, Oscars is not exactly just about quality. There's a lot that goes in there. 

Naatu Naatu was the academy's way of acknowledging RRR without giving it a major nomination. It was a weak category this year, and the music has always been the highlight of Indian films for foreign viewers. If there were a serious contender in song, I think RRR would have found support in some other category, likely score or screenplay. 

atominis thumbnail

Thank you for detailed answers. I am slowly gathering the info from all posts and making sense. As I had no idea how nominations or wins of international content work at Oscars.