One Question... What is Chand Ashok ??

mustafa786 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 8 years ago
Many are using this word "ChadAshok" but I totally have no idea what it is. Can somebody tell me what is that ??

Thanks in advance

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Abinaya_24 thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
           Buddhist legends state that Ashoka was bad-tempered and of a wicked nature. He built Ashoka's Hell, an elaborate torture chamber described as a "Paradisal Hell" due to the contrast between its beautiful exterior and the acts carried out within by his appointed executioner, Girikaa.[16] This earned him the name of Chanda Ashoka (Caa Aoka) meaning "Ashoka the Fierce" in Sanskrit. Professor Charles Drekmeier cautions that the Buddhist legends tend to dramatise the change that Buddhism brought in him, and therefore, exaggerate Ashoka's past wickedness and his piousness after the conversion
              Although, the Emperor's name was Ashoka Vardhana Maurya or simply Ashoka meaning without sorrow, he assumed the title of Devanampiya Piyadasi which means Beloved of the Gods' and He who looks one with affection'. He was also given the name of Chanda Ashoka meaning merciless Ashoka or heartless Ashoka during a phase where he killed all his brothers including crown prince Sushima Maurya.
            However, such elaboration of Ashoka as Chanda Ashoka (cruel Ashoka) was just an exaggeration by Buddhist writers who wanted to show how the Chanda Ashoka  was modified into Dharma Ashoka.
Lifeis_mistake thumbnail
When the people of Takshashila rebelled once more. This time Bindusara sent Suseema, but he could not quell the rebellion. In the meantime, Bindusara fell sick. Hence, intending to install Suseema on the throne, he recalled him and ordered Ashoka to proceed to Takshashila. The ministers, however, thwarted this plan. They smeared Ashoka with turmeric, boiled some red lac in copper vessels and displayed it, saying that the prince was so ill that he could not move out of bed.
As Bindusara's condition worsened, the minister brought Ashoka before him, clad in all finery, and urged the king, "Consecrate Prince Ashoka for the present and we will install Suseema on the throne later, when he returns." Bindusara's wasted frame shook with fury as he refused. Then Ashoka declared himself the King when Bindusara passed away. Ashoka's first act as king was to appoint Radhagupta prime minister.
Meanwhile, news of the coronation had reached Suseema in Takshashila. Furious at the usurpation, he rushed back to Pataliputra. Ashoka posted his two great warriors at two of the city gates. In front of the eastern gate, Radhagupta set up an artificial elephant so cunningly fashioned as to deceive a casual observer. On top of it, he placed an effigy of Ashoka, digging a ditch all around filled with live coals covered with reeds. The whole pit was camouflaged carefully. As Suseema arrived before the city, Radhagupta shouted tauntingly," If you can slay Ashoka, the throne is yours!" That provoked Suseema to rush to the eastern gate to fight his half-brother. As he charged forward, he fell into the ditch full of live charcoal and died a terrible death.
Chandaashoka (Ashoka The Terrible)
Having installed Ashoka, the ministers began to take him for granted, considering themselves the real power behind the throne and secretly contemptuous of the new king. This attitude was a hangover of Bindusara's dislike of Ashoka because of his peculiarly rough and unpleasant looking skin. Ashoka was no fool. To test the ministers' loyalty and to discipline them, he ordered that all flower and fruit trees be chopped down, but the thorny ones preserved. The obvious analogy with his "thorny" appearance escaped the over-confident ministers. "What is your majesty planning?" they queried, "Should not, rather, the thorny trees be destroyed and the beautiful ones preserved?" Thrice they avoided complying with the orders in this manner. Furious at his authority being flouted, on the fourth occasion Ashoka unsheathed his sword and beheaded the five hundred counselors.
Once, Ashoka went strolling in a garden with his women. It was spring and the trees were laden with blooms and fruits. The king saw an ashoka tree in full bloom, and told his women, "See this is my namesake and how beautiful it is!" He wanted to be caressed by them, but the women disliked his rough skin and secretly mocked his comparing himself with the lovely tree. So, when he fell asleep, they decided to teach him a lesson. They got together, and removed all the flowers and leaves from the ashoka tree, leaving it bare and unlovely. On waking, Ashoka's eyes fell on the ashoka tree, transformed from the ecstatic look of spring into the naked forlornness of winter. When he found out from his servants that his concubines were responsible, he was so furious that he had his five hundred women burned alive.
Seeing these fearsome acts of the king, the people named him Chandaashoka, "Ashoka the Fierce." was Anxious that the people should not turn away from the king in revulsion, Radhagupta the prime minister spoke to Ashoka: "Your majesty, it is unseemly for the monarch to work as an executioner. Why not appoint some royal executioners who will carry out your commands?" Ashoka saw the wisdom of this and asked that suitable persons be sought out.
Not too far away, in a small village in the foothills, lived a weaver who had an evil son named Girikaa. This youth not only used to abuse his parents but would also beat up others for no reason and torture insects and animals. Therefore, he was called Chandagirikaa (Girikaa the fierce) by the villagers. Seeing him engaged in these horrible acts, the king's men enquired whether he was agreeable to become the royal executioner. Girikaa replied with gusto and aplomb. "Certainly! Why, I could execute the whole of Jambudveepa and each would be a delightfully different death!" Asked to proceed to the capital, he told the king's emissaries to tarry until he had told his parents. However, his parents would not let him go to pursue such a heinous profession. So, Girikaa killed them both and rejoined the king's party. When they asked him why he had been delayed, he calmly told them, "I had to spend some time killing my father and mother for they would not let me obey the royal command."
The first thing Girikaa asked of Ashoka, when he was presented to the king, was a building exclusively devoted to the art of execution. And so such a building was built, beautiful to look at from the outside, but housing all instruments of torture. People called it, " the Paradisal Hell." When it was ready, Chandagirikaa submitted to Chandaashoka, "Your majesty, grant me this boon: that whoever enters this place shall not leave it alive." The king granted the request.
Once Chandagirikaa had gone to the Kukkutaaraama vihara where he happened to hear a monk reciting the "Baalapandita Sutra" which describes the five great tortures that beings suffer in hell. Some are stretched out on their backs on red-hot iron floors and balls of molten metal poured down their throats; others are thrown face-down on a mass of flames and branded; some are hacked and chopped with fiery axes into an octagon, a hexagon, a square, an oval and finally a circle; yet others are thrown on their backs on floors of flaming metal, and stakes driven through their hands, feet and heart. Hearing this horrific account, Girikaa was overjoyed. "Such are the five great agonies," he mused, "and I shall follow the Sutra in implementing these in this life itself. Why deprive anyone of these in this life and keep them in suspense till after death?"
Samrat Ashok was not so cruel as presented in buddhist articles.
Ok, how can I say this? Let me tell.
In inscriptions and legends it is mentioned that Samrat Bindusara had recognised Ashoka's kingship qualities since his childhood. Now, what were these qualities? According to the Arthashastra and the Chanakya Neeti, on which the Maurya Empire's foundation is based, "A king is the worshiper of the public.".
Now next criticising is that he built the Ashoka's hell. Now for whom did he build for, did he build it for his public? NO, he built it for the terrorists, killers and rapists. Maybe his policy was that terrorists, killers and rapists deserve such treatment and there's nothing bad in torchoring them, as they have themselves chosen this path.
Taranatha was a tibetan writer, according to him, Ashoka killed his 6 brothers not 99. Such elaboration was just an attempt of buddhist writers to show the transformation of Chandashka to Dhammashoka. Many edicts have been found in which Ashoka talks about his brothers and sisters, and also recent discoveries have proved that Ashoka had crowned his brothers as kings of Mauryan provinces and called them Kumaras and Aryaputras.
Now, let us take a look at the edict issued by Asoka himself around 256 BC,that is 13 years after ascending the throne of Magadha. This is known as the
5th Rock Edict of Asoka. This rock edict goes against the myth of Asoka killing his brothers, as mentioned in the legends about him, which we saw earlier.

Asoka's 5th Rock Edict

Asoka's 5th Rock Edict says that his brothers were alive and living in Patliputra, 13 years after his accession to the throne.
Here is the English translation of the edict.
"Thus speaks the Beloved of the Gods, the king Piyadassi {Asoka}: It is hard to do good and he who does good, does a difficult thing. And I have done much good. And my sons, my grandsons and my descendants after them until the end of the world if they will follow my example, they too will do good. But he who neglects my reforms even in part will do wrong, for sin is easy to commit.
In the past there were no officers of Dhamma. It was I who first appointed them, when I had been consecrated for thirteen years. They are busy in all sects, establishing Dhamma, increasing the interest in Dhamma, and attending to the welfare and happiness of those who are devoted to Dhamma, among the Greeks, the Kambojas, the Gandharas, the Risthikas, the Pitinikas, and the other peoples of the west. Among servants and nobles, brahmans and wealthy householders, among the poor and the aged, they [the officers of Dhamma], are working for the welfare and happiness of those devoted to Dhamma and for the removal of their troubles.
They are busy in promoting the welfare of prisoners should they have behaved irresponsibly, or releasing those that have children, are afflicted, or are aged. They are busy everywhere, here [at Pataliputra] and in all the women's residences, whether my own, those of my brothers and sisters, or those of other relatives. Everywhere throughout my empire the officers of Dhamma are busy in everything relating to Dhamma, in the establishment of Dhamma and in the administration of charities among those devoted to Dhamma. For this purpose has this inscription of Dhamma been engraved. May it endure long and may my descendants conform to it."
Edited by maheshbedant - 8 years ago
ChickenSoup thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
No matter what people say about Ashoka, he will always be remembered as the greatest king of India and also he was the one who established and unified the entire nation and gave it world recognition!! This is exactly why I admire Ashoka!!
pari0706 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
The word chand comes from the word chandaal

The original meaning of this word is a person who deals with corpse and works in a cemetery

It's is traditionally associated with death and is said that a chandaal will not have any feelings and is immune to death and bloodshed

Over period of time this became synonymous to a person who is cruel and kills for no reason.

Who has no morals no values and no friends.

Hence when Ashoka got too immersed in anger and hatred he started killing without having any mercy and became inhuman he was called Chand Ashoka I.e. Cruel Ashoka.

The meaning of this word has slightly changed since then to define the lower caste people who deal with disposal of corpses.
vayuu1 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Jisnuu pay gyi chand oh hai chand ashok. 
mustafa786 thumbnail

Originally posted by: fairyabi

Buddhist legends state that Ashoka was bad-tempered and of a wicked nature. He built Ashoka's Hell, an elaborate torture chamber described as a "Paradisal Hell" due to the contrast between its beautiful exterior and the acts carried out within by his appointed executioner, Girikaa.[16] This earned him the name of Chanda Ashoka (Caa Aoka) meaning "Ashoka the Fierce" in Sanskrit. Professor Charles Drekmeier cautions that the Buddhist legends tend to dramatise the change that Buddhism brought in him, and therefore, exaggerate Ashoka's past wickedness and his piousness after the conversion

Although, the Emperor's name was Ashoka Vardhana Maurya or simply Ashoka meaning without sorrow, he assumed the title of Devanampiya Piyadasi which means Beloved of the Gods' and He who looks one with affection'. He was also given the name of Chanda Ashoka meaning merciless Ashoka or heartless Ashoka during a phase where he killed all his brothers including crown prince Sushima Maurya.
            However, such elaboration of Ashoka as Chanda Ashoka (cruel Ashoka) was just an exaggeration by Buddhist writers who wanted to show how the Chanda Ashoka  was modified into Dharma Ashoka.

Thank you so much. 
mustafa786 thumbnail

Originally posted by: maheshbedant

When the people of Takshashila rebelled once more. This time Bindusara sent Suseema, but he could not quell the rebellion. In the meantime, Bindusara fell sick. Hence, intending to install Suseema on the throne, he recalled him and ordered Ashoka to proceed to Takshashila. The ministers, however, thwarted this plan. They smeared Ashoka with turmeric, boiled some red lac in copper vessels and displayed it, saying that the prince was so ill that he could not move out of bed.
As Bindusara's condition worsened, the minister brought Ashoka before him, clad in all finery, and urged the king, "Consecrate Prince Ashoka for the present and we will install Suseema on the throne later, when he returns." Bindusara's wasted frame shook with fury as he refused. Then Ashoka declared himself the King when Bindusara passed away. Ashoka's first act as king was to appoint Radhagupta prime minister.
Meanwhile, news of the coronation had reached Suseema in Takshashila. Furious at the usurpation, he rushed back to Pataliputra. Ashoka posted his two great warriors at two of the city gates. In front of the eastern gate, Radhagupta set up an artificial elephant so cunningly fashioned as to deceive a casual observer. On top of it, he placed an effigy of Ashoka, digging a ditch all around filled with live coals covered with reeds. The whole pit was camouflaged carefully. As Suseema arrived before the city, Radhagupta shouted tauntingly," If you can slay Ashoka, the throne is yours!" That provoked Suseema to rush to the eastern gate to fight his half-brother. As he charged forward, he fell into the ditch full of live charcoal and died a terrible death.
Chandaashoka (Ashoka The Terrible)
Having installed Ashoka, the ministers began to take him for granted, considering themselves the real power behind the throne and secretly contemptuous of the new king. This attitude was a hangover of Bindusara's dislike of Ashoka because of his peculiarly rough and unpleasant looking skin. Ashoka was no fool. To test the ministers' loyalty and to discipline them, he ordered that all flower and fruit trees be chopped down, but the thorny ones preserved. The obvious analogy with his "thorny" appearance escaped the over-confident ministers. "What is your majesty planning?" they queried, "Should not, rather, the thorny trees be destroyed and the beautiful ones preserved?" Thrice they avoided complying with the orders in this manner. Furious at his authority being flouted, on the fourth occasion Ashoka unsheathed his sword and beheaded the five hundred counselors.
Once, Ashoka went strolling in a garden with his women. It was spring and the trees were laden with blooms and fruits. The king saw an ashoka tree in full bloom, and told his women, "See this is my namesake and how beautiful it is!" He wanted to be caressed by them, but the women disliked his rough skin and secretly mocked his comparing himself with the lovely tree. So, when he fell asleep, they decided to teach him a lesson. They got together, and removed all the flowers and leaves from the ashoka tree, leaving it bare and unlovely. On waking, Ashoka's eyes fell on the ashoka tree, transformed from the ecstatic look of spring into the naked forlornness of winter. When he found out from his servants that his concubines were responsible, he was so furious that he had his five hundred women burned alive.
Seeing these fearsome acts of the king, the people named him Chandaashoka, "Ashoka the Fierce." was Anxious that the people should not turn away from the king in revulsion, Radhagupta the prime minister spoke to Ashoka: "Your majesty, it is unseemly for the monarch to work as an executioner. Why not appoint some royal executioners who will carry out your commands?" Ashoka saw the wisdom of this and asked that suitable persons be sought out.
Not too far away, in a small village in the foothills, lived a weaver who had an evil son named Girikaa. This youth not only used to abuse his parents but would also beat up others for no reason and torture insects and animals. Therefore, he was called Chandagirikaa (Girikaa the fierce) by the villagers. Seeing him engaged in these horrible acts, the king's men enquired whether he was agreeable to become the royal executioner. Girikaa replied with gusto and aplomb. "Certainly! Why, I could execute the whole of Jambudveepa and each would be a delightfully different death!" Asked to proceed to the capital, he told the king's emissaries to tarry until he had told his parents. However, his parents would not let him go to pursue such a heinous profession. So, Girikaa killed them both and rejoined the king's party. When they asked him why he had been delayed, he calmly told them, "I had to spend some time killing my father and mother for they would not let me obey the royal command."
The first thing Girikaa asked of Ashoka, when he was presented to the king, was a building exclusively devoted to the art of execution. And so such a building was built, beautiful to look at from the outside, but housing all instruments of torture. People called it, " the Paradisal Hell." When it was ready, Chandagirikaa submitted to Chandaashoka, "Your majesty, grant me this boon: that whoever enters this place shall not leave it alive." The king granted the request.
Once Chandagirikaa had gone to the Kukkutaaraama vihara where he happened to hear a monk reciting the "Baalapandita Sutra" which describes the five great tortures that beings suffer in hell. Some are stretched out on their backs on red-hot iron floors and balls of molten metal poured down their throats; others are thrown face-down on a mass of flames and branded; some are hacked and chopped with fiery axes into an octagon, a hexagon, a square, an oval and finally a circle; yet others are thrown on their backs on floors of flaming metal, and stakes driven through their hands, feet and heart. Hearing this horrific account, Girikaa was overjoyed. "Such are the five great agonies," he mused, "and I shall follow the Sutra in implementing these in this life itself. Why deprive anyone of these in this life and keep them in suspense till after death?"
Samrat Ashok was not so cruel as presented in buddhist articles.
Ok, how can I say this? Let me tell.
In inscriptions and legends it is mentioned that Samrat Bindusara had recognised Ashoka's kingship qualities since his childhood. Now, what were these qualities? According to the Arthashastra and the Chanakya Neeti, on which the Maurya Empire's foundation is based, "A king is the worshiper of the public.".
Now next criticising is that he built the Ashoka's hell. Now for whom did he build for, did he build it for his public? NO, he built it for the terrorists, killers and rapists. Maybe his policy was that terrorists, killers and rapists deserve such treatment and there's nothing bad in torchoring them, as they have themselves chosen this path.
Taranatha was a tibetan writer, according to him, Ashoka killed his 6 brothers not 99. Such elaboration was just an attempt of buddhist writers to show the transformation of Chandashka to Dhammashoka. Many edicts have been found in which Ashoka talks about his brothers and sisters, and also recent discoveries have proved that Ashoka had crowned his brothers as kings of Mauryan provinces and called them Kumaras and Aryaputras.
Now, let us take a look at the edict issued by Asoka himself around 256 BC,that is 13 years after ascending the throne of Magadha. This is known as the
5th Rock Edict of Asoka. This rock edict goes against the myth of Asoka killing his brothers, as mentioned in the legends about him, which we saw earlier.

Asoka's 5th Rock Edict

Asoka's 5th Rock Edict says that his brothers were alive and living in Patliputra, 13 years after his accession to the throne.
Here is the English translation of the edict.
"Thus speaks the Beloved of the Gods, the king Piyadassi {Asoka}: It is hard to do good and he who does good, does a difficult thing. And I have done much good. And my sons, my grandsons and my descendants after them until the end of the world if they will follow my example, they too will do good. But he who neglects my reforms even in part will do wrong, for sin is easy to commit.
In the past there were no officers of Dhamma. It was I who first appointed them, when I had been consecrated for thirteen years. They are busy in all sects, establishing Dhamma, increasing the interest in Dhamma, and attending to the welfare and happiness of those who are devoted to Dhamma, among the Greeks, the Kambojas, the Gandharas, the Risthikas, the Pitinikas, and the other peoples of the west. Among servants and nobles, brahmans and wealthy householders, among the poor and the aged, they [the officers of Dhamma], are working for the welfare and happiness of those devoted to Dhamma and for the removal of their troubles.
They are busy in promoting the welfare of prisoners should they have behaved irresponsibly, or releasing those that have children, are afflicted, or are aged. They are busy everywhere, here [at Pataliputra] and in all the women's residences, whether my own, those of my brothers and sisters, or those of other relatives. Everywhere throughout my empire the officers of Dhamma are busy in everything relating to Dhamma, in the establishment of Dhamma and in the administration of charities among those devoted to Dhamma. For this purpose has this inscription of Dhamma been engraved. May it endure long and may my descendants conform to it."

Thank you so much. U seems to have too much knowledge abt Ashoka's History. 👍🏼 
mustafa786 thumbnail
Thanks Shafkat, Pari and vayuu
Lifeis_mistake thumbnail

Originally posted by: mustafa786

Thank you so much. U seems to have too much knowledge abt Ashoka's History. 👍🏼

😆 😆 Yaa right,I love history especially about Ashoka the Great 😃
I like to read all when I get free times 😊