FF : One Thousand And One Nights (Ch 2 - Pg 1)

Meerkat thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
Posted: 1 years ago

Chapter One 

Winter Nights

In the still of the night as she lays half awake and half asleep staring abstractedly at her television, Katha decides she hates winter - particularly the nights. These nights are unreasonably long with the flow of time being ridiculously slow. And, they are cold too. So cold. Even the thickest of blankets fail to keep her warm. She feels it's the global warming. She doesn't remember the concepts so well but maybe, hotter summers and colder winters? Does it work that way? She sure thinks that each winter has gotten colder over the years. She remembers her winter years with Aditya. They weren't so cold. She never felt the need to use a blower or heater. 

Now even with all the appliances, it doesn't feel warm enough.

Aditya...Katha curls herself in a ball as a draft of air gushes in from somewhere and envelops her. 

Did I leave a window open? She wonders, then remembers that there's a window-pane which is missing half it's glass. She has been meaning to get it fixed since so long now. Tomorrow, maybe. 

Tomorrow, she has to go visit the bank too. And, what else? There's something else too. What a long and never-ending list!

On the television screen is running the repeat of a melodrama. 

'Mr. Singhania, I really need you to clear my father's name. He is not a thief!' The female lead sobs.

'Fine, I will give you that!' The male lead barks out. 

The heroine's facial expressions evidently change to that of unbelievable joy, relief and gratitude.

'But,' the hero continues, 'you'll have to sleep with me!' he finishes, sucking out the joy from the heroine's face.

Damn! Katha switches off the television. She liked the couple. There were sparks between them. Too bad they took this route. Since the male lead has become irredeemable in her eyes, she would never be able to watch the drama again, let alone enjoy it.

Now, that the television has been switched off, the house floats in dreary silence. There's the tick-tick of the clock and the whistle of the security guard who's out on round. Katha checks her social media pages but it fails to hold her attention. Then as per habit, she opens up her messenger app.

Adi, it's very cold here. Freezing cold. 

Then while waiting for an answer, she drifts into a fitful sleep. 

Edited by Meerkat - 1 years ago

DO NOT COPY THIS POST AS THIS IS EXCLUSIVE TO INDIA FORUMS

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Shri_12 thumbnail
Easter Egg Contest Winner (2023) 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 6

Wow, great start 👏

Update soon 

Hakuna_Matata11 thumbnail

Wow amazing start.

Loved it.

Do write more.

Javeria3991 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5

Interesting start. 

Update soon. 

Nabni_blr31 thumbnail
Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 6

Woah... interesting one.

Please continue writing and update the next part soon.

Meerkat thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

Chapter Two

Broken

"Shall I plate your dinner?" Soham asks his employer.

'No. I had it outside. You can go to sleep. Viaan replies without looking up from his phone.

"Bro, your speech made it happen. Especially the last Urdu couplet you recited there." Ehsan, his friend has texted him. Viaan smiles while typing back, "I think it was your optimism they liked more." Ehsan, besides being his closest friend, is also his business partner.

"Any plans for tonight?" Ehsan writes back.

"Going to hit the sack but not before deciding the head architect for the Dubai project."

"I have a name in mind but don't want to influence you. You come up with your own, and then we will sit together and finalize it."

"Sure thing," Viaan types before exiting the messenger application. It was an exhausting but fruitful day. His company has managed to land "the" Dubai deal, something that has stirred the market, and Viaan can feel the adrenaline rush in his veins. Now he wants the best team on board to complete this project, he thinks as he peruses the portfolios of a few architects that his secretary has emailed him.

"Viaan Sahab, the house needs renovation." "It's falling apart at places," his steward says. "Do you have any plans?"

"I have no plans, Soham Ji." Viaan had thought that the man had left.

'Saheb, I had informed you about it the last time you were here. Did you not get time to think about it? It is a very pressing matter, Saheb. This house was co-designed by your parents. Every brick here is reminiscent of their love and their domestic bliss. Of your childhood'

'Love?? Domestic bliss?!!' Viaan scoffs. Sohamji, is age catching up with you? Can't keep it together?'

Visible red dots appear on Soham Chowdhary's loose, hanging, pale skin. 'It was love while it lasted.'

Viaan cannot bear to discuss it, so he dismisses the case with, 'Nothing can be done to salvage it.'

'But, Saheb--'

'Good night. You can leave." Viaan states rudely. He busies himself with work. There's one employee's work portfolio that he's impressed with. Katha Singh. He doesn't remember interacting with her one-on-one, but looking at her resume picture for the second time, a distant memory knocks at the back of his mind but disappears before he can open the door. He has seen her in the office—in fact, in the meetings—a few times before. He wonders if it would be wise to choose a woman to heap such a huge responsibility on. In the long struggle between his prejudice and sense of righteousness, the latter wins.

He is trying to sleep but cannot. Earlier in the day, while they had gone to meet the Dubai clients, he had met Anup Thackerey. Anup was his wingman back in the day. Viaan had been elated to meet Anup after so long but had been shocked to receive the news that Anup was divorced now. His wife had left him for another man. Viaan had been disappointed, to say the least. Anup and Rekha had been college sweethearts; he himself had witnessed their story blossom.

"You were right, Raghuvanshi," Anup had told him before they parted ways earlier in the day, "that I need to be wary. That I shouldn't relax my guard. That she can betray me and break my heart. I stand before you with a broken heart and a broken will."Viaan had been left speechless. In that moment, Viaan realised that even though publicly he had ridiculed Anup and Rekha back in the college days, he had rolled his eyes at their displays of affection, but he had secretly hoped that it would work out.

Why are women like this? He wanted to believe. He wanted to believe in women, marriages, and happy endings. But the moment he would start believing in things, something would happen to crumble his already fragile belief. To the world, he was a 34-year-old intelligent, good-looking, and talented businessman with a world full of opportunities waiting for him. In reality, he was messed up in his head. He was unable to see a woman as a woman. When he saw a woman, he felt the instinctive need to strip her down to her bones and reach her core of beliefs to know if she was loyal or not. It was the same reason he could never approach a woman.

It gave him sleepless nights. What was that dialogue in Inception?  An idea is like a parasite—no, a virus. Resilient and highly contagious. Viaan was scared for himself and for the people around him as well. He was scared that one fateful day, his sense of righteousness would not be able to save him from himself.

He stared at the crack in the ceiling. The house was falling apart, wasn't it? It had come apart so long ago.

What was that poem by Jaun Elia?

Kaun iss ghar ki dekhbhal kare?

Roz Ik chiz tut jati hai.

Perhaps the burden of this house had been too much for his father as well.

Edited by Meerkat - 1 years ago
gina24 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

Beautiful update 

🌺

Devikadish thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6

Amazing start❣️

Loved both the character's pov

vrrm thumbnail
Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

Wonderful start? Waiting for the next chapter eagerly..meeting between kathha and Viaan