Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

babur1527 thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago

Chapter 11:https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/post/130958504

A/N: Dedicated to Niki, Ramsha, Gargi, Mac, Khushi, Shailusri, Vidhya, Sri and Shelly. My dedicated readers and sources of inspiration.

Also Rohini, Medha, Krystal and Kaana. Old loyal CAS viewers who loved Chanakya niti just as much as me. 

And finally my bros BB and Shyam who love Dharma and PS more than me. πŸ˜†

PC: PanchaliKaArjun

Chapter 12: The Tale of Two Heroes

Ashok patted the shoulders of Vasunandan and Subhao as they pulled apart,

"What are you guys doing here?" Ashok asked.

Siyamak, Subhao and Vasunandan looked to one another.

"I was worried about you Bhrata." Siyamak replied wiping away his tears. "I sneaked out of the palace to come and meet you. I met Vasu and Subhao at the stable trying to do the same."

Ashok chuckled. "So Pitaji Maharaj doesn't know?"

"Nope." Vasunandan shook his head. "Oh by the way, I think you are going to need this." Vasunandan took out his pouch and after fumbling for a moment he pulled out the gold coin with Royal symbol of the Mauryans. Ashok's eyes widened with surprise.

"How did you guys find it?" Ashok asked taking the Mudra.

"Pitaji presented it to Samrat Bindusar, apparently stained with your blood." Subhao said darkly. Ashok scowled. And then something struck his mind.

"Where is your Pitaji?" Ashok asked placing the Mudra carefully on the table.

"In prison. Where he belongs." Subhao spat. Ashok was not sure what to say.

"I am sorry Subhao." Ashok said quietly.

"Don't be Ashok." Subhao sighed. "He got exactly what he deserves. Because of him so many of our Sena needlessly died, so many sons and daughters lost their fathers. Just for his own ambitions unhone sabki bali charadi." Subhao said bitterly. Ashok wasn't sure what to say.

"I know for sure it was Mahamatya who instigated him." Vasunandan added.

"It doesn't matter who instigated him." Subhao snapped. "The decision was still his to make."

"Punishing your father won't end this." Ashok replied. "Vasunandan is right. Your father alone is not to blame. I have many enemies in the palace. And this was all a grand scheme to kill me."

Siyamak paled. They still had more enemies in the palace. Siyamak thought about it. Who could possibly want to kill his Bhrata. He then realized something.

"You don't mean Bhrata Sushim is behind this." Siyamak asked. Ashok felt his body tense.

"I am not sure." Ashok replied after a moment. And it was the truth. Given the close connection of the Yunani and Keechak it could have been Rajmata herself. But then again Bhrata Sushim was awfully smug when he volunteered to go to Taxilla.

"What I am sure about is this." Ashok said looking at his three companions. "You guys can stay with me as long as I am in Assandh. But after I leave you need to go back to Patliputra."

"Why?" The three of them asked at once.

"Bhrata I can take care of myself!" Siyamak said angrily.

"Yeah, we can fight." Vasunandan added.

"We went to Ujjain with your father remember?" Subhao said in earnest.

Ashok rubbed his forehead.

"You guys are better fighters than me." Ashok said trying to keep his voice steady. "And that is why I need you to go back to Patliputra and protect everyone there."

Siyamak was about to protest. The guards are there to do it.

"Subhao." Ashok begun. "Whoever is in cahoots with your father, they will try to keep him silent, to the point where they may even kill him."

Subhao clenched his hands. Vasunandan and Siyamak looked to one another. Their expressions were a mixture of fear and confusion.

"Siyamak. Vasunandan." Ashok said turning to Siyamak. "The repeated attacks on Patliputra are not random. They are all plotted by one person."

"Who is it?" Siyamak asked through clenched teeth. "Tell me Bhrata I shall go and kill that person with my own hands!" Ashok sighed.

"Even if I tell you, you cannot do anything Siyamak." Ashok said placing his hand on Siyamak's shoulder. "The person who is probably behind this is too powerful and they could possibly have you killed before you do anything."

Siyamak felt dread creep into his mind. He could only nod as Ashok solemnly looked out to the window.

"All I can tell you guys is this." Ashok said sitting down on his chair with a groan. The pain was increasing. "Except Acharya Radhagupt, do not trust anyone."

"Bhrata are you okay?" Siyamak said concernedly.

"Yeah." Ashok said hoarsely. "Just get me my medicine." Vasunandan walked towards where Ashok was pointing and got him the cup of green liquid.

"Ugh, this is nasty." Subhao said holding his nose. The green liquid looked as revolting as it smelled.

"Yeah," Ashok sighed taking the glass. "A small price to pay for the pain." He held his breath and drunk it one go. Ashok suppressed the shudder that ran through his body. Siyamak, Vasunandan and Subhao looked on apprehension.

"You actually drank that?" Vasunandan croaked.

"Yeah," Ashok sighed. "You should try some of my mother's medicine."

"No thanks." Subhao squeaked.

"Yeah, we are good." Siyamak added. Vasunandan suddenly remembered something.

"Oh before I forget." Vasunandan said. "I also have a letter for you."

"From who?" Ashok asked.

"Rajkumari Ahankara." Subhao cooed. Ashok scowled at Subhao.

"Don't do that."

"Why not?" Vasunandan chuckle. "It is a Prem Patra for our Rajkumar."

"Shut up." Ashok said pulling the letter from Vasunandan's grasp. "She is just worried about me."

"We worry about those we love." Subhao putting his arm around Ashok.

"Always." Vasunandan said joining them on the other side. Siyamak crept behind Ashok's back.

"Kya likha hai?" Siyamak asked curiously.

"I thought this letter was for me." Ashok said irritably. He thanked God that the room was just lit by lamps. Otherwise they could see his face flushing.

"So what?" Subhao asked. "We are your mitra. Haam se kya sharmana."

Ashok pulled the letter close to his chest. "She probably wouldn't want you to read."

"Why not?" Vasunandan grasped the letter and pulled it off Ashok's hands.

"Oi!" Ashok swung at Vasunandan who jumped away.

"Let's see what Rajkumari has written to her beloved." Vasunandan said opening the letter. Ashok tried to get it but Vasunandan shielded it away from him.

"Mere Priya Mitra." Vasunandan begun.

"Woo." Subhao called. "Go on Vasu."

"Vasunandan." Ashok snarled through clenched teeth. He jumped and locked his arm around Vasunandan's neck and swiped at the letter. Subhao quickly took the letter from Vasunandan before Ashok got to it. Ashok let Vasunandan go and chased after Subhao. Siyamak looked at the proceedings trying to contain his laughter. The attendants peeked through the door trying to see what was going on. They could only look on in confusion as their Rajkumar was strangling his two friends who were trying to break free.

"Should we-?" The attendants asked Siyamak. Siyamak smiled and shook his head.

Siyamak looked towards Ashok. It's good that you are safe Bhrata.

The Next Day

In garden of the Assandh palace Ashok sat on the Divan with Siyamak. They were watching Saroj spar with Subhao and Vasunandan.

Saroj was one of the youngest and brightest Senanayaks of Magadh, a few years older than his Bhrata Sushim. He was the nephew of Acharya Grinath. Against the wishes of his parents he chose to pursue a military career. Samrat Bindusar approved despite the protests from the Brahmins. And it was a decision that paid off. His skills with a variety of infantry weaponry had him flying through the ranks. He still wasn't without weaknesses. His age and relative inexperience made him reckless and impulsive. Somewhat like Ashok himself. That's why Ashok felt it was easier to get along with Saroj over other Senanayaks despite Saroj and him clashing over strategies. Saroj always wanting to go on the offense. Ashok keeping his Acharya Radhagupt's words in mind, wanted to take a cautious approach, which suited the elderly Senanayaks.

Despite Saroj's tactical recklessness his fighting aptitude however was undeniable as Ashok saw him dominating Subhao and Vasunandan with ease.

Saroj was practicing with one of the Yunani weapons that the Magadh Sena captured from their enemies yesterday. Fine weapons of top-notch craftsmanship, which prompted Ashok to ask Siyamak the question he had been pondering over.

"Anuj." Ashok asked, "Does our Great Grandfather Seleucus have any enemies in Yunan?"

"Plenty," Siyamak replied. "At least that is what I remember Kaka Justin telling me." Ashok could sense Siyamak's discomfort.

"I am sorry." Ashok said grasping Siyamak's shoulder. Siyamak smiled.

"You don't have to be Bhrata." Ashok returned his smile. The two brothers went back to watching the sparring session.

If what Siyamak says is true, it means that Rajmata could easily shift the blame to her father's enemies. No matter what I say, it won't prove that Seleucus is backing Keechak.

Ashok watched Saroj spinning around Vasunandan's overhead strike. In a flash Saroj swung the pike aiming for Vasunandan's legs. Vasunandan tried to jump away but his leg was caught by the swinging pike. He tried to keep his balance but only fell over awkwardly with a thud. Without missing a beat Saroj charged at Subhao who was no match for the Senanayak.

Serves you two knuckleheads right. Ashok thought irritably remembering the struggle those idiots put him through last night. After he had finally wrested the letter from their grasp he finally managed to read the letter quietly as Siyamak tried to get a dazed Vasunandan and Subhao to their feet.

"Mere priya mitra,

I hope you are alright. I thought I had lost everything when they said you were dead. I thank God with every breath that it is not true. Please be careful. Your enemies will try their best to kill you. Acharya Rudra is there. Please let him protect you.

Please Ashok. Take care of yourself. I pray everyday that you return safe and sound.

I will be waiting for you.

Yours always,

Ahankara."

"Rajkumar Ashok," The guard whispered waking Ashok out of his thoughts. "Senanayak Aadarsh has returned. He says someone wants to meet you immediately."

Ashok nodded. Siyamak looked to the guard curiously. His interest piqued.

"I will join you guys for breakfast later." Ashok muttered as he heaved himself up. "Something has come up."

"What is it Bhrata?" Siyamak asked.

"Scouting reports." Ashok grunted nonchalantly. Damn it. Why won't this pain go away.

Ashok walked into his room. The man who was waiting for him turned to face him. He dressed in rags and he carried a stick. His face framed by unkempt hair and beard.

"Who are you?" Ashok asked arching his eyebrow. "And why did Aadarsh bring you here?"

"I notice arrogance in your tone Rajkumar." The man said in a deep voice that caught Ashok's attention. He was well cultured. He is no beggar.

"Forgive me if I sounded rude." Ashok said apologetically.

"You should not judge people by their appearances Rajkumar."

"I am sorry." Ashok repeated. "Things have been pretty hectic for me." The man nodded.

"You should try to keep yourself calm Rajkumar. I would like to converse with you alone."

Ashok ordered the attendants to leave them be. The attendants close the door shut. Ashok sat down on the chair.

The man took threw off his rags and pulled off his hair and beard. Ashok's eyes widened in surprise to see a relatively young, well built monk standing before him.

"Who are you?" Ashok asked.

"I am one of the oldest students of Chanakya." He said with a smile. "The name is Devrat."

"I have heard of you." Ashok said as Devrat took the seat before Ashok. "You are Sudhama's advisor."

"I was Sudhama's advisor." Devrat corrected him.

"Of course." Ashok nodded. "How did you escape Taxilla?"

"Keechak was never able to capture me." Devrat said with a wry smile. "We never accepted his authority."

"There are more of you?" Ashok asked.

"Yes. There are still people who are loyal to Sudhama. Who are loyal to Magadh." Devrat said with deep breath. "However most of us are not trained warriors. Survival is victory. That is how it is for us."

Ashok rubbed his forehead thoughtfully.

"Where are they?" Ashok asked.

"Scattered and divided." Devrat replied. "Minor raids are all we can mount against Keechak."

"I plan on taking over all the outposts." Ashok said looking into Devrat's eyes. Devrat smiled, impressed.

"That would be a good way to start." Devrat said stroking his chin. "This way you can provide bases for insurgents against Keechak. Impressive plan."

"I didn't count on there being any resistance against Keechak." Ashok admitted sheepishly.

"Still. Impressive." Devrat suddenly spotted Ashok's sword hanging on the wall.

"Interesting." Devrat said quietly. "So you won the blade of Chandragupt."

"Yes." Ashok replied. "I did."

Devrat gave Ashok a strange smile. "You must be proud. That sword gives you immense respect and authority."

Devrat looked at the sword thoughtfully.

"I don't know what to feel whenver I see this blade. While this was indeed wielded by the greatest man Magadh had ever seen I have also seen this blade slay a lot of my friends."

"What do you mean?" Ashok asked curiously.

"So your Acharya has not told you yet?" Devrat asked. He had a strange glint in his eyes. "I guess he won't. It is a tale that Magadh wants to forget. It is a tale Acharya Chanakya wants Magadh to forget."

"What tale are you talking about?" Ashok asked Devrat frowning.

"After Chandragupt," Devrat said loudly. "That sword was wielded by another person. And that person almost destroyed the Mauryanvanshi and uprooted everything that Chandragupt built."

Ashok was stunned.

Ashok didn't say anything. He could only ask shakily. "Who was it?"

"Keechak." Devrat's voice echoed. Ashok stared at him blankly.

"What are you trying to say?" Ashok said furiously. "How did Keechak get his hands on this sword? How did Acharya Chanakya allow him to?"

"It was Acharya Chanakya who bestowed that sword on Keechak. Keechak was the Maha Yoddha of Magadh."

Ashok could only stare at Devrat. Devrat smirked. "Shocker isn't it?"

"Keechak was known as the brightest student of Chanakya once upon a time. A born Yoddha." Devrat said crossing his arms. "Samrat Chandragupt was nearing the end of his reign. He had decided to pass on his sword. And he believed that sword should be won by a true warrior." Devrat continued looking out to the sky. "During the first Maha Yoddha pratiyogita Keechak had competed with your father and your uncle, Justin Maurya for the sword."

Ashok looked at Devrat. He desperately wanted to know more. "And he won?"

"He won." Devrat said with a nod. "It was a great day. Acharya Chanakya was delighted that his best student had won. And he was anointed in a lavish ceremony. Chanakya had hoped that Keechak would be the sword of the then Uttaradhikari Bindusar, that will take Magadh to greater heights. For a time, it did seem like that. Nobody at the time would think that Keechak would go on to become what he would. Sky was the limit for him. I guess it was his limitless potential that drove his arrogance and greed. His temper was always a problem and it only worsened as he fought more and more battles. He was the stationed as the Prantpal of Tosali to keep the powerful kingdom of Kalinga in check. He was at the time undoubtedly the most able warrior Magadh had. Kalinga had their own ambitions of expansion. Therefore they are rivals of the Mauryans. And there were many battles with them. And Keechak won every one of them. And soon enough Kalinga was no longer a threat."

Devrat looked out to the sky as he continued.

"His victories against Kalinga drove his ambitions. And having the sword of Chandragupt he believed that he was more suitable for the throne of Magadh. But Samrat Chandragupt and Acharya Chanakya had chosen Bindusar. Something that didn't suit Keechak well." Devrat pursed his lips.

"There were many that thought that Keechak should be the one to ascend the throne." Devrat said looking at Ashok. "And soon enough he had consolidated enough power. Fifty Janpad had pledged their allegiance to him. And with such tremendous support he marched for Patliputra itself."

Ashok hung on to every word. He could almost see the massive army marching for Patliputra.

"Samrat Bindusar had just returned from an exhausting campaign at Avanti. Keechak had issued a challenge to the Samrat. Of all his faults Keechak's love to showcase his strength is his biggest weakness. He wanted to beat Samrat Bindusar in a decisive battle. Samrat Bindusar rallied whatever he had and set out to meet Keechak against Chanakya's advice. And against Chanakya's wishes one of the bloodiest battles in Magadh begun."

"How did Pitaji defeat someone like him?" Ashok asked.

"Keechak's victories had made him arrogant. And the battles your father fought gave him experience and foresight." Devrat said calmly. "And when the two faced each other again things had changed. Although it wasn't apparent Samrat Bindusar's abilities have caught up to Keechak's. And fueled by the desire to protect his father's legacy, losing was not an option for Samrat Bindusar. You should have seen your father fight that day Ashok." Devrat said wistfully. "He was no less than the Mahan Chandragupt himself. No other Yoddha matched his determination. No other Yoddha surpassed his valor. And Unhone Sidh kiya ke Maha Yoddha is nothing but a mere title. You are only as good as the next battle you can fight."

Devrat looked into Ashok's eyes.

"The clash between Keechak and Bindusar would have been a worthy story to tell if it wasn't so gruesome. Both sides lost a lot of lives. And after an immense struggle Samrat Bindusar defeated and captured Keechak. And with that Keechak's support dwindled to nothing and all the rebelling Janpada surrendered. Until Samrat Bindusar defeated Keechak, his worth as a successor of Chandragupt was not established. And his victory against Keechak finally silenced all the doubters that there were. He earned the respect of all the power players of Magadh."

Ashok's heart couldn't help but soar with pride.

"Soon after the battle Keechak was sentenced for execution on Chanakya's orders." Devrat said grimly. "Samrat Bindusar's weakness was his soft heart. He spared Keechak at the pleading of Sudhama against Chanakya's wishes. And then he was sent to Taxilla, a decision that we are now paying for."

Ashok stared at the floor. His father regretted that decision too. But something didn't add up in the story that Acharya Devrat told him.

"Acharya." Ashok asked. "Where was Rajkumar Justin during the time Keechak attacked?"

"He was at Yunan helping Seleucus curb a rebellion." Devrat replied. "At least that is what we heard."

Ashok sighed. Convenient. Rajmata Helena always finds a way to cover her tracks.

Meanwhile in Taxilla.

Keechak looked towards his sleeping wife, his eyes restless with ardent desire.  He sat on the divan of his magnificent room. Months have passed since they got married and Bhamini still did not let him touch her. Keechak smirked. He could force her and have his way with her, living up to his name. However even though love was something that he wasn't really familiar with, he understood that it couldn't be forced upon someone.

His mother never loved him. All Keechak could remember was the disdain and the cold indifference that his mother had towards him. Throughout his growing years he never knew his father. It was that fateful day when Chanakya rested his hands on his head did he finally experience a touch of affection. In Chanakya's tutelage he found the father he always wanted to have. Despite the taunts and jeers in the royal academy he appreciated the affection that Acharya Chanakya had shown him.

However he still wanted his mother's warmth. And it was inexplicable why she didn't love him. Until that one day he found out about his father. He remembered the fateful conversation he had with Rajmata Helena.

It was the day he found out that he was the son of Dhana Nanda.

Only then his mother's hatred towards him made sense.

We never wanted to invade Magadh. We were here on a diplomatic mission. But Chanakya drove a wedge between us and usurped your father.

Keechak didn't buy that lie. He knew full well about the atrocities of Dhana Nanda. He was the result of one such atrocious act.

Keechak then understood that it was out of spite his mother had given him his name. Keechak hated his father, because his mother hated him. It was a vicious cycle.

However Keechak accepted his name. It didn't matter why his mother gave him that name. It didn't matter if it was out of love or hatred. He accepted his name. His goal in life back then was to have his mother call his name out of love and pride. Not spite and disdain. So he studied hard under Chanakya. He absorbed all his teachings. His zeal was driven by his desire to be accepted by his mother. He endured all the taunts and jeering and overcame all the challenges. And it all culminated when he finally grasped the sword of Chandragupt Maurya.

After he had become the Maha Yoddha of Magadh, he finally thought that he would finally be accepted by his mother.

He wasn't.

So Keechak stopped trying to make his mother happy. But he couldn't stand the pain of rejection. Keechak did everything he could to drive that pain away. When Samrat Chandragupt asked him to go to Tosali, he readily went there. He fought battle after battle until he lost count of how many of them he had fought. All he knew was he won every one of them. He didn't seek glory. He sought to end the pain. And inflicting pain on his enemies seemed to lessen his. And that is exactly what he did. It didn't matter how he did it. As long as he protected Magadh it was fine. The ends justified the means. That is what he said to himself in initially. But, eventually begun to enjoy inflicting pain, to his enemies and to insubordinate soldiers. Anything to numb his own pain. Because after the day he left his mother's home for Tosali he never saw or heard from her again.

It was not long after a glorious victory over Kalinga, Keechak experienced the warmth of a loved one when he was finally united with his sister. And it disgusted him to see his sister bound to a weakling like Sudhama when she should have been granted the honor of being married to a true Kshatriya King. It was then when he realized that with the Mauryans around his family will always be treated like this. They will always be denied of the rights they truly deserve. And when Chanakya made the vastly inferior Bindusar ascend the throne it was the final straw. He had believed that Chanakya gave precedence to merit. And he found out the hard way that his belief was misplaced. He was nothing but a tool to further the power of the Mauryan dynasty.

It was then he accepted the proposal of the Yunani to usurp the Mauyans. He had faith in his abilities. And the support that swelled to his side thanks to the diplomatic ploy by Amatya Udrek at the orders of Rajmata Helena of course had increased his power even more. He set out with all the confidence in the world to conquer Magadh.

The fateful battle still haunted him. Many soldiers had fallen. Bindusar had challenged him to a duel to end the bloodshed once and for all. And Keechak having beaten Bindusar countless times, it was a matter of formality. The only one who could challenge him back then was Justin Maurya. And he was out of the way.

However Bindusar's strength had surprised him. He was always more skilled than the Mauryan, always a step ahead. But that day Bindusar's astounding power and determination was simply overwhelming. It was just one moment of dread, one of moment of uncertainty, that one fateful mistake that had him on his knees before a victorious Bindusar.

The physical wound that Bindusar gave him had healed. The scar on his back was barely visible. But the pain of the humiliation remained fresh. There was no one to save him from being humiliated that day. Rajmata Helena was powerless. Amatya Udrek had commited suicide. The way he was dragged through the streets of Magadh, the way he was at the executioner's mercy, the way he was at Bindusar's mercy, it was humiliating.  Bindusar sparing his life was an even bigger insult. But then again, he wouldn't be here today if Bindusar didn't forgive him. But he had no reason to be grateful to Bindusar. It was his sister that saved his life.

Keechak stood up and with one last glance at his wife he walked out. Keechak could only shake his head with bitter disappointment. If only Bhamini understood his pain. Doing the right thing wasn't that simple. Fear was a useful tool to have. It granted him instant authority and respect. And he relished basking in the deity like authority as the sea of heads bowed down before him.

There was once a time when I did try to do the right thing Bhamini. But it is a long forgotten memory. Now the only thing that is right to me is taking what rightfully belongs to me. And that is the throne of Magadh.

Keechak walked down the stairs into his specially made dungeon where insubordinate soldiers and rebels were given their righteous punishment. The howling sounds that echoed from the stone walls gave Keechak great satisfaction. He reached his destination, the locker where his young Senanayak was being punished for his defeat against a Mauryan Prince, who was not even a man yet.

The steel doors opened for Keechak and he stepped inside. Before his eyes Shunga was tied by chains as he was ceremoniously whipped by the two wardens.

Keechak raised his arm and the wardens stopped moving their whips. Keechak walked up to Shunga who looked up at Keechak. His eyes were glossed over and he was gasping for breath. Keechak saw a rebellious glint in his eyes.

"Expensive mistakes like yours usually results in death penalty my young Senanayak." Keechak said gabbing his chin. "But you are special. And it very hard to find talented people who will fight for your cause. Soldiers are replaceable. But generals are not." Keechak smiled and he placed his hand on his shoulder which was gashed over by the whip. Keechak grabbed a wound and squeezed it. Shunga howled in pain.

"However soldiers are still expensive. And you lost them because of your carelessness. The pain that you are going through right now shall remind you of the mistakes that you make." Keechak let him go and turned to leave. The prison guards continued lashing as the doors closed behind Keechak.

"Just make sure he remains conscious." Keechak ordered as he left.

Yet another Mauryan scion stands in his path to his goal. However this time I am ready. I will not lose. Kadhap Hi Nahi.

Back in Patliputra.

Ahankara was in her chamber as she perused through the pages of the book that Acharya Radhagupt had given her. But random thoughts kept diverting her attention.

Ahankara hoped that Ashok had gotten her letter. Soon after Vasunandan and Subhao left for Assandh, Siyamak went missing along with the Mauryan Mudra. Samrat Bindusar immediately realized where Siyamak could be going. He immediately dispatched a search party to look for them.

Ahankara shook her head and turned back to the book.

The Arthashastra. Acharya Radhagupt wanted her to increase her knowledge. Her brother was in the care of Rani Dharma and Rani Subrasi. Samrat Bindusar had assigned Radhagupt as her personal teacher. And her new residence was being built steadily. Ahankara finally felt a semblance of normalcy in her life.

Ahankara had been dabbling with the Arthashastra for a while now. This is what she could understand from what she read till now.

The essence of leadership lies in its acceptance by the subjects. The Swamy should never to forget the two pillars of the art of governance, Nyay, the justice and Dharma, the ethics.  The Swamy should introspect to identify his atma doshas; deficiencies to improve or develop oneself. The Swamy should study deficiencies of his ruling body and take steps to improve upon them. Amatyas could be incompetent, Senapati could be over ambitious, Purohit may not consider the present day practices or traditions while enacting laws or justice, which might lead to injustice. And the Yuvaraj should receive specific training to prepare for the eventual succession.

Yuvraj. Ahankara understood that Chanakya and now Radhagupt wanted Ashok to become the Yuvraj. He was working day and night to make that wish a reality.

But as of now the de facto Yuvraj was Rajkumar Sushim. Being the Prabhari Raja and Samrat's Jesht Putra everyone assumes that he is the Samrat's choice.  Until Samrat Bindusar specifically chose another son, the Brahmins have accepted Sushim as the heir apparent. Khalnatak had made sure it was so. That is what Acharya Radhagupt told her. There was once a time when this fact would have made her happy.

She did use to dream about becoming the Maharani of Magadh by marrying Rajkumar Sushim.

But now? All she wanted to do was be with Ashok. It didn't matter if it was in a lavish palace or a small mud hut in a distant forest. She no longer cared about the luxuries of royalty. All she wanted was to be with him. But Ashok's responsibilities are growing. And those responsibilities seemed to drive him away from her further and further.

Ahankara's heart yearned for the young Rajkumar. However remembering the conversation she had with Ashok in prison, Ahankara felt deflated. Ashok didn't love her. Being a princess she still could end up marrying Ashok. But even if he married her it will be for political gain. Radhagupt seems to be grooming her for that reason.

"Thinking about Ashok?" Ahankara turned to see it was Rani Dharma. Rani Dharma and Samrat Bindusar frequently checked on her to see how she was doing. And with Rani Dharma, most of the time she talked about the person that was dearest to them both.

Ahankara blushed and nodded.

"He will be fine. Don't worry putri." Dharma said comfortingly.

"It's not that." Ahankara sighed. "It's just-" Dharma remembered the conversation she had with the Rajkumari a few days ago.

"Does Ashok love you?"Dharma asked her bluntly.

"I don't think so." Ahankara said hesitantly. "I assumed that he did. But when he was in prison he said he didn't love me. He only did what he did because he felt responsible for my plight."

"Whatever he said to anyone in prison. I wouldn't take it seriously." Dharma said quietly. "My putra cares about a lot. More than you realize. Now get back to studying. Acharya Radhagupt will be around soon." Dharma stroked her head and then turned to leave.

"Rani Dharma please stay." Ahankara said earnestly.

"I just came here to check on you Putri. And to ask you to join us for dinner after you finish Radhagupt's lesson." Dharma said with a smile. "Your brother is having a lot of fun with Drupad."

Ahankara returned her smile. Dharma nodded and then left.

Ahankara eyes scrolled over the pages but her mind pondered over Rani Dharma's words. Ashok did care about her. Ahankara smiled as she remembered all the affectionate moments she spent with him. Behind his broad shoulders when he shielded her from harm, in the shelter of his strong arms as she cried her heart out to him and before his eyes as they gazed into her. Moments she wished that lasted longer, moments where Ahankara wished that she was a bit bolder. But she was content looking into those eyes.

Those hazel eyes.

The way he looked at her with those eyes, it expressed more than words could ever say.

Maybe he was lying to her in prison. But why?

To make things easier for her. Her inner voice told her. Ahankara scowled.

Ashok. Nothing could possibly make watching you die easy. You silly boy.

Ashok sneezed.

"Are you okay Bhrata?" Siyamak asked concernedly.

"Yeah. I am fine."Ashok wheezed. Ah the pain. He thought clutching his chest. Acharya Devrat was meeting with the Senanayaks. He and Siyamak were walking towards the meeting place.

Ashok saw Nalini walking around the corner. Without a word he grabbed Siyamak and started running.

"Bhrata," Siyamak squeaked. "Should you be running?"

"Yes. Matter of life and death." Ashok rasped as he dashed past Vasunandan and Subhao who begun running after them.

"Kya huya Rajkumar?" Vasunandan asked laughing. "Running from another girl are we?"

"Shut up!" Ashok snapped.

"Alas. If only women chased after men who would appreciate them." Subhao sighed.

"Can't really blame her Subhao. He is our Aprateem Rajkumar after all." Vasunandan said in an eerie imitation of Samrat Bindusar. Siyamak laughed.

"You morons." Ashok muttered as the royal quartet ran along the stone corridors.

Rudra stood on the balcony watching them from afar.

Rajkumar Ashok. Rudra couldn't help but be impressed by what he had seen so far. His Sena respects him. The people adore him. The royal family of Assandh welcomed his presence, to put it mildly. Rajkumari Nalini seemed enamoured with the Prince. Everyone seems drawn to him in one way or another.

It wasn't difficult to understand why his Rani was so desperate to ensure Rajkumar Ashok's safety.

"Sire." A guard called. Rudra turned towards him as he bowed.

"The Senanayaks are calling for you." Rudra nodded and asked the guard to lead him.

If Rani Ahankara wanted Rudra to protect Rajkumar Ashok, Rudra will do just that. He will take every possible measure to ensure that this Rajkumar remained protected. But first he needed to gauge how capable Rajkumar Ashok was of protecting himself.

At the gates of Taxilla.

It was dusk. Black clouds shrouded the skies as shadows spread across the horizon. Rakshas stopped at the gates of Taxilla. The guards walked towards him. Battle hardened bodies adorned with heavy armor; they were menacing sight to any ordinary person.

"Name and purpose of visiting?" The guards asked. Rakshas extended his hand showing him a parchment. The eyes of the guards widened. They bowed and signaled to open the gates.

The large gates of the archway creaked open. Rakshas looked towards the glowing city of Taxilla. He got down from his horse and stepped into the city. With every step Rakshas took, the light gave away and left shadows at his wake. Rakshas bared his teeth as he saw Keechak's men ordering the slaves to get into line.

Come Rajkumar Ashok. Your doom awaits here. If Taxilla was the place where Chanakaya's dream began, then Taxilla will be the place where his worst nightmare begins.

Leave your thoughts below. Hope you enjoyed it. 

Chapter 13:https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/post/131208884

Edited by babur1527 - 7 years ago
shailusri1983 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
How do you manage to do it every time? The way you brought out the contrast between Keechak, the warrior gone wrong and turning into a tyrant and Bindusaar, the king who lives up to the expectations of his people, his guru, and his lineage was fantastic. I loved the way you incorporated the example of these two men before Ashok, the positive and the negative and how the choices they made in life had left them where the were in their respective lives. I applaud the valour of this character of Bindusaar that you have written. A person who competed with himself and never stopped learning from his mistakes; a person who strove for perfection and excellence. I have always loved the finer nuances you introduce in your story and characters. A brilliant update once again. Update soon.
babur1527 thumbnail

Originally posted by: shailusri1983

How do you manage to do it every time? The way you brought out the contrast between Keechak, the warrior gone wrong and turning into a tyrant and Bindusaar, the king who lives up to the expectations of his people, his guru, and his lineage was fantastic. I loved the way you incorporated the example of these two men before Ashok, the positive and the negative and how the choices they made in life had left them where the were in their respective lives. I applaud the valour of this character of Bindusaar that you have written. A person who competed with himself and never stopped learning from his mistakes; a person who strove for perfection and excellence. I have always loved the finer nuances you introduce in your story and characters. A brilliant update once again. Update soon.

Thanks for reading and reviewing Shailusri. Yeah, Bindusar is one of the most wasted characters in the show. So I thought why not give him an awesome backstory and that too with Keechak.

Will try to update by Saturday. Let's see.
vidhu22 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Babur it's such an awesome update wid lot's of twists and turns Keechak being AC's student and dana nand's son tht's such a master stroke i never imagined u'll include wht u said in EDT once in OS also and u introduced brainy AD too tht's also so exciting and cute ashkara letter reading was nice so now rudra wants to test ashok and amatya reached keechak it's getting more interesting and exact opposite of wht's happening in the show good work babur waiting for the next
Khushi_Dillse thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Wow...another nice twist...
Keechak was student of AC...poor ashoka don't know about this...
Aacharya chanakya k to raaz k bhi raaz hai...great...
Pata nahi ab or kitne samne aane baki hai...
Hey, I like bindusar today...He is not only samrat of magadh but he is a good warrior too...He is strong character in your  story... that was so nice...
I also like Ashoka, Siamak and his frds Masti. ...They are teasing him about rajkumari ahankara...πŸ˜† And ashoka was πŸ˜³ I like ahankara's letter also...She is cute...Aacharya devrat is here and add some spice to story with his intelligence...hmmm...keechak I want know more about this man...I think it's another side of this warrior...let's see 
Mind blowing update babur...πŸ‘

Khushi πŸ˜›

ramsha_001 thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
You've crafted a great story. Allowing the characters to naturally grow through trials and triumphs. While also you did a good job in displaying Keechak's backstory, his desire for vengeance and his own aspirations for the throne. I have always hated the illogical viciousness of villains on tv , it undermines them far too much. 

I love how you portray Bindu's character, his struggles and now his youth where he had to grapple with all the doubters. He is a good king, a warrior with a good heart. You have captured both the personalities perfectly and their journey is very realistic. It surprises me a little to know that there aren't any inscriptions on Bindu's rule where as he had seized the entire peninsula and ruled for more than 25 years. 

Sudhanshu and Sameer would have rocked a script like this. It's pitiful to see such good actors being used as a prop.

I loved how you had shown siyamak's concern for his bhrata.  I miss watching their bond. Thanks for giving some life to AD's character πŸ˜†Little things like that only strengthen this story. I can't wait to see what happens next! 
Edited by ramsha_001 - 8 years ago
srividhya68 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
wow...wow
awesome upt
feels like its really happenning
waiting for nxt part
cont soon
babur1527 thumbnail
Thank you for your kind words everyone. I will try to update as soon as I can.
Vidhya: Glad my OS is able to live up to your expectations. Yeah the quality of the script in CAS is declining so badly. It is so unfortunate. I have penned Rudra to be Akramak's replacement as Ashok's teacher for war.

Khushi: As always lovely to hear from you. I am really glad that you liked my portrayal of Bindusar and Keechak. Yeah I will try to display more of Keechak in the upcoming chapters. πŸ˜†

Ramsha: Thanks for taking the time to write such a glowing review. Yeah Sameer and Sudhanshu would have been so amazing. But alas. The CVs have turned them into Disney level props. And Siyamak. Another wasted character.

Sri: Thank you for your kind words. Will try to update as soon as I can. I am glad you are enjoying the story so much.

Next update should be up by Saturday. Or Sunday. Depending on when I can finish it.

Take care till then guys. πŸ˜Š

Edited by babur1527 - 8 years ago
babur1527 thumbnail

Chapter 12:https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/post/131067750

A/N: Dedicated to Niki, Ramsha, Gargi, Mac, Khushi, Shailusri, Vidhya, Sri and Shelly. My dedicated readers and sources of inspiration.

Also Rohini, Medha, Krystal and Kaana. Old loyal CAS viewers who loved Chanakya niti just as much as me. 

And finally my bros BB and Shyam who love Dharma and PS more than me. 

Chapter 13: The Prelude to War

2 weeks later

Another tiring day was coming to an end. The last few weeks were frantic for Rudra as they prepared to depart from Taxilla. Eventful was the word that came to Rudra's mind.

The first task was to appoint a Senapati. And by popular recommendation Bhim Ji was elected. After which several war councils were immediately held to plot out the plan of action.

Scouting parties were regularly sent to Taxilla and its surrounding regions by Devrat to gather as many information as possible, as well as getting the insurgents against Keechak ready to join Rajkumar Ashok's army.

A search party from Magadh had come to take Rajkumar Siyamak back. Rajkumar Ashok managed to convince them to stay and help out with the preparations.

Rani Ahankara did not send him any further instructions. But Radhagupt contacted him a few times. He went over the plans and the possible problems they will face once they venture into Taxilla. And also Chanakya's prodigy was working on securing more reinforcements.

Acharya Radhagupt was doing his part. The rest was up to Rajkumar Ashok. And Rudra.

Rudra was near the edge of the courtyard watching Rajkumar Ashok engaging in a rather ferocious duel with his two friends. In spite their advantage Rajkumar Ashok was dominating them. Initially at least. As the duel went on the fatigue and probably the injury started acting up. Despite that Rajkumar Ashok continued much to Rudra's curiosity. He seemed adamant about sharpening his skills with the blade.

Rudra smiled. The attitude displayed by the young Prince that reminded him of himself in his early years.

The purpose of wielding a sword is pretty straightforward. Take the blade and strike the enemy before he strikes you.

Over time it evolved and the sword became the symbol of everything that a Kingdom stands for. The blade that was flashing before Rudra was one such symbol.

The art of swordfighting itself also evolved to cover the massive responsibilities that come with the sword. Rudra began training at a very early age. Swordsmanship was a second nature to Rudra. He used other weapons when necessary but the versatility of the sword in almost all situations made the sword Rudra's favorite weapon. Just like any other Yoddha of Magadh.

In his younger years he swung the sword recklessly trying to make flashy moves. Much like Rajkumar Ashok except Rudra didn't possess the impressive physical frame. Rudra had re-tooled his style as he learned from his mistakes. As responsibilities fell on his shoulders he changed his style even more. He had practiced enough to know when to defend when the pressure mounted and when the strike when the decisive moment presented itself.

The now fatigued and still recovering Rajkumar Ashok was finding that out the hard way.

Rudra walked past the attendants and stepped into the courtyard. Rajkumar Ashok stood tall before his two sparring partners who were flat on their back. Exhausted. Subhao and Vasunandan were their names if he remembered it correctly.

"Rajkumar Ashok." Rudra said drawing his sword. "Interested in fighting a real Yoddha?"

"Oi!" Subhao wheezed. "He is tired!" Subhao turned his head towards Ashok. "I think we have done enough for today."

But Ashok was interested to continue. Despite the dull pain in his chest.

"Not really." Ashok said with a smirk. He wiped the sweat on his forehead with his palm. He stood straight and got into his fighting stance. He wanted to find out how capable the Ujjaini regent was. "I have faced Ujjaini Yoddhas before. Not very impressive."

"Is that so?" Rudra smiled at the provocation. "Let me correct your perception." Rudra gripped his blade with his two hands.

Interesting. Ashok thought. Acharya Akramak used to charge at him with full strength. Rudra is taking a defensive stance. Like his father. Let's see then.

Without waiting any further Ashok lunged forward swinging at Rudra's neck. Rudra in a smooth motion blocked the blade. He twisted the blades around and in a flash Ashok's blade was knocked away from his hand. Before Ashok could do anything he found Rudra's blade inches away from his chest. Ashok merely stared at the blade. He was beaten so easily.

Subhao and Vasunandan who were back on their feet. Their mouths agape. Rudra stepped back moving his blade away.

"Round two?" Rudra asked. Ashok simply picked up his sword and charged at Rudra again. Rudra raised his sword to block Ashok's strike. Rudra realized it was a feint and moved his blade to parry the slash from the side. Ashok spun around swinging the blade in a diagonal arc. Rudra parried it with a bit of difficulty. Impressive speed.

As Rudra and Ashok crossed their swords Subhao and Vasunandan watched the duel engrossed by the speed and skill on display.

"He is actually good." Subhao remarked on the silky movements of Rudra.

"He has magnificent balance." Vasunandan said quietly. He is as good as Acharya Akramak.

Ashok leaped up for an overhead strike. Rudra raised his sword to meet Ashok's. The blades met with a clang and with a violent shove Rudra pushed Ashok away.

Ashok fell back managing to land on his legs. He dropped down to his knees gasping for breath. His body was shaking.

Rudra sheathed his sword and walked up to Ashok who was finally too tired to continue.

"I think that is enough for today." Rudra said quietly.

Ashok looked up at him and nodded.

"You are an impressive fighter." Rudra said as Subhao and Vasunandan came towards them. "However you should learn to protect your body while you attack. Your swings are wild and reckless. You should adapt a more measured approach. You will learn that it protects your body better. That injury of yours won't heal anytime soon."

Ashok looked into his Rudra's eyes. He is right.

"In a pitched battle you can get away fighting with sheer speed and power. And soldiers are there to protect you. But in isolated duels, any warrior worth his salt can kill you." Rudra said to Ashok clearly making sure the Rajkumar got his words.

Rudra turned to leave.

"You are as good as she says you are." Ashok grunted as Subhao and Vasunandan helped him get to his feet. Rudra hid his smile.

"It doesn't matter how good I am Rajkumar Ashok. You need to sharpen your skills a bit more if you intend on fighting Keechak." Rudra said as he walked away.

Vasunandan rounded on Ashok.

"Are you kidding me?" Vasunandan said furiously. "You are going to face Keechak?!"

"I am just considering my options." Ashok said as he slowly walked to the divan. He sat down and sighed. "I have to be able to face him if it comes down to it."

"A few years too early for that Ashok." Subhao said quietly. "You are good. But not that good."

"Yeah I know." Ashok said thoughtfully. "But no harm in preparing for it."

"I guess so." Vasunandan said sitting next to Ashok. "But there is no need to push yourself. You still have not healed properly."

"Yeah." Ashok sighed as an attendant gave him a glass of water.

"I would like to be alone for a bit." Ashok said quietly. Vasunandan and Subhao glanced at one another. Subhao's eye caught something.

"Yeah alright." Subhao said with a grin. "Come Vasu. The damsels of Assandh are quite pretty."

"Oh is that so?" Vasunandan smirked. He patted Ashok's shoulder and walked away with Subhao.

"Ekaant." Ashok said. The attendants bowed and left.

"Those morons." Ashok grumbled to himself as he saw his friends walking away. As if Ahankara wasn't enough now they were teasing him about Nalini. He regretted telling these idiots that he thought Nalini was beautiful.

Ashok shook his head. He gathered his thoughts back to what he was pondering over.

There was no one around his age that can beat him in a swordfight. They were more skilled and more experienced but God had blessed him with a physique that negated all of his other shortcomings.

Swordsmanship was one of the many things that came naturally to Ashok. Other hand to hand weapons he also adapted with reasonable prowess . Dhanurveda however, was something he just could not get right. He practices whenever he can. However he cannot shoot the arrows with confidence. Especially in situations of combat. And it seems unlikely that he can gain enough proficiency in such a short time.

So it leaves him two options whenever he faces Keechak. Either have one of his Senanayak combat him. Or fight him in a pitched battle with soldiers. So he decided to focus on what he does best. Swordsmanship. Hopefully if it comes to down facing Keechak he will be able to hold his own.

"Lost in thoughts Rajkumar?" A familiar voice spoke.

"Yeah. Sort of." Ashok turned towards Nalini.

"You know I was watching you fight." Nalini said with a smile. "You are quite the Yoddha."

"I guess I am." Ashok smiled.

"I heard you are leaving for your Abhyan tomorrow." Nalini asked. Ashok noted the slight sadness in the princess's voice. Ashok smirked.

"Once the war is over, I will come back to visit with Rajkumari Ahankara."

Nalini's face lighted up with elation.

"I would love to see her again."

Ashok realized over the past few days that Nalini was just worried about Ahankara. Or at least he would like to think that way. He did his best to placate her concerns.

"Bhrata." Ashok turned. It was Siyamak.

"Rajkumari Nalini can you excuse us?" Ashok asked Nalini.

Nalini nodded and left.

"You are leaving tomorrow." Siyamak asked.

"Yes. You will be leaving for Magadh as well. You know what you have to do right?" Ashok asked grasping Siyamak's shoulder.

"You are in charge of protecting our family."

Siyamak smiled. "I won't let you down Bhrata."

Ashok turned towards the palace. He threw his arm over Siyamak's shoulder. Siyamak wrapped his arm around his brother's back. And just like that the two of them begun walking back to the palace. Ashok saw Vasunandan and Subhao waiting for them near the corridor.

If all goes according to plan I will be back to Patliputra soon. I will deal with all our enemies. I promise you Acharya. Your murderers will pay for their treachery.

Miles way in Taxilla

Keechak was sitting in the stone room on a wooden table. Seated across him were Seleucus Nicator and Mir Khurasan. The two men had arrived a few hours ago. Obviously they were not happy with the recent developments. Keechak making them wait didn't sooth their tempers.

Which is exactly what I wanted. Keechak thought mirthfully as he stared at the grumpy and ragged Kings before him.

"How could our grand army be beaten like that Keechak?" Mir Khurasan asked irately. Keechak just laughed. Mir and Seleucus looked at another. Angry and confused. Keechak stopped laughing and then looked towards his two allies.

"What else could we expect from a Sena of Napunsaks." Keechak said quietly.

"Careful Keechak. We can withdraw our support from you whenever we want." Seleucus said furiously. The warning made Keechak laugh even more. Empty threats.

"Do it." Keechak slammed his fist on the table. "I don't care. You need me now more than I need you. I have plenty of allies. You are not getting any younger Seleucus. And you don't have the guts to attack Magadh directly. And Mir Khurasan is a marked man. I have heard of Bindusar's declaration. If Mir Khurasan is seen anywhere near Magadh, the reward of capturing him is quite significant. No other Janpad will lend you their support to fight Bindusar. And your precious Khurasan Kingdom is fragmented. They have broken away from you. And if Bindusar decides to send Siyamak to claim the Khurasani throne you will have nothing."

Mir and Seleucus looked at one another again. This time anxiousness was etched over their faces. Both of them knew Keechak was right.

"So what do you suggest we do?" Seleucus asked.

"We wait." said another voice. Their eyes turned to the new arrival. The burly and scarred Brahmin made Seleucus smile.

"Amatya Rakshas." Seleucus said warmly. "So you escaped Chanakya's prison?"

"Thanks to your daughter." Rakshas said bowing his head. Keechak called the attendant. The attendant came forward and helped Rakshas to his seat.

"Who are you?" Mir Khurasan asked. Amatya Rakshas scowled at him. Seleucus looked at Mir incredulously while Keechak rubbed his head in frustration.

"And this moron was the Senapati of Magadh." Keechak muttered under his breath.

"Amatya Rakshash." Seleucus said quickly. "And this Mir Khurasan."

"Pleasure to make your acquaintance." Rakshash said sarcastically.

"If we are done getting acquainted to each other, can we get on with serious matters? I don't have time to waste with the likes of you." Keechak said loudly.

Mir was about to retort before Seleucus cut in.

"So we wait?"

"Yes." Keechak said thoughtfully looking at the map. "There is no point engaging the Magadh army in battle right now. They are a fresh batch of soldiers who are well trained. Their morale is high. And unlike the Napunsaks you sent." Mir Khurasan and Seleucus scowled. "They have strong leadership."

"So we will wait and let the Magadh Sena take over our hard won territories. Are you mad?" Mir asked. Keechak's glare silenced Mir.

"These are my territories." Keechak said menacingly. "I can do with them whatever I want."

"Speak clearly. What is your plan?" Seleucus asked.

"They cannot take me at my fortress." Keechak said confidently. "If I were Ashok. I would want to fight the battle on a field. So I would attack the outposts first and take over them and force my enemy to come out."

"But they will surround us! We will be cut off from our allies!" Mir protested. Keechak felt his vein pulsing.

"It's all about timing Mir Khurasan." Keechak said calmly. "I am going to let Ashok's army overstretch themselves. And instead of fighting the decisive battle I will take out his Sena one division at a time."

"Divide and conquer." Amatya Rakshas said quietly.

"Divide and conquer?" Mir asked.

"The strength of Ashok's army comes from their unity." Rakshas continued. "Controlling outpost requires stationing them with soldiers. And I doubt Ashok has enough men to cover all outposts."

"And meanwhile I will have secured the support of the fort commanders in Indus Caucus." Keechak said confidently. "So I will no shortage of manpower when the decisive moment comes."

"Sounds like a good plan. But can you convince the fort commanders? They are all loyal to Bindusar." Seleucus said concernedly.

"Oh I have a plan for that as well. All I have to do is convince the strongest of them. And I have something that will help me secure his loyalty for sure." Keechak said with a smile.

"What exactly is that?" Seleucus asked.

"You all of all people should know what that is Seleucus." Keechak smirked. "After all Chandragupt gave you his Sena for that Ipsus Yudh only after you agreed to it."

Seleucus's eyes widened in confusion. Keechak looked at him pointedly. Seleucus smiled as realization dawned on him. Keechak turned to Mir Khurasan.

"And you will reinforce me with proper generals this time. Shunga did well. He saved the bulk of our army. He was forced to retreat because the morons  you sent were foolish enough to get killed by the Magadh Sena."

Mir Khurasan coughed looking around. "Alright." He said quietly. "Alright."

Agnibahu and Vasantsena were behind the thin wall listening to the proceedings with great interest. Vasantsena was fidgeting around barely containing her excitement.

"My brother is amazing is he not?" Vasantsena whispered. Even in her whisper, the arrogance and pride was apparent.

"Depends on who you ask." Agnibahu muttered looking at Vasantsena with disgust.

"Kya matlab?" Vasantsena asked.

"Nothing. Nothing." Agnibahu squeaked. "Mahanayak Keechak is so amazing. Woh to taan se Kaamal maan se Bemisaal Aadmi hai."

Vasantsena smiled. "That's more like it"

Vastansena turned away focusing on what Keechak was saying. Agnibahu stuck out his tongue at her. Is pagaal aurat ko to ekdin dekh lungi mai.

Elsewhere in the palace.

An elderly man stood on the balcony looking out to the setting sun. The beautiful rays illumanting the luxurious room behind him. No. That was not his room. That was his prison.

He is Sudhama. The Prantpal of Magadh. But it was only a titular role now. He had no real power. He and his daughter were at the mercy of Keechak. The only thing Sudhama had to remember the love of his life. His wife who died at childbirth. His beautiful daughter, his precious child for whom he could do nothing. He could do nothing for her as his second wife turned her life into hell. He could do nothing as his allies were removed. He could do nothing when the cruel tyrant killed Nazia's husband, his son-in-law.

Nazia was Sudhama's source of strength. While he steadily lost control over his palace and his governorate Nazia was one of the few supporters he had left. Being the daughter of the Prantpal of Taxilla Nazia was forced to mature quickly as she helped her father shoulder the massive burden. Nazia never disobeyed her father. And Nazia never hesitated to do anything that could help her father.

And for the sake of her father Nazia married an influential chief in the region. With that he had hoped that it would curb Keechak's rise to power. But it wasn't enough. Keechak had defeated and killed her husband in a decisive battle. And with that Sudhama had lost control of Taxilla. And together with his daughter he was imprisoned for treason. Sudhama looked to his daughter who lay in the bed after working in the palace all day. His wife had spared no chances to humiliate his daughter, a comeuppance for all the years of standing up against her transgressions.

Nazia lay in her bed. Her body was aching with fatigue. Her mind lost in thoughts. Magadh. It mystified her as to why her father was so loyal to the Kingdom of Magadh. They had abandoned him to face Keechak all by himself. Nazia tried her best to rally support for her father but bit by bit they lost control. Mysterious assassinations, forced resignations, one by one her father's people were replaced by Keechak's men. Vasantsena her stepmother, made sure it was. The most critical mistake her father made was appointing Dhananjay as the advisor after Acharya Devrat was accused of treason. Though her father was helpless, Nazia felt they should have investigated Dhananjay's background a bit more before he was appointed.

And when Keechak seized the throne of Taxilla she expected that Samrat Bindusar would send officials to deal with this matter.

He didn't.

A part of Nazia wasn't surprised. Bindusar had little regard for people who were loyal to him. She remembered the day when an exiled Acharya Chanakya came to visit Taxilla.

Nazia was behind the wooden divider as her father conversed with his special guests. Nazia couldn't help but be surprised that it was Acharya Chanakya. What surprised her even more is that Acharya Chanakya has been exiled from Magadh.

"And he let you leave? Just like that?" Devrat asked furiously.

"Don't blame the Samrat." Sudhama said morosely. "Rajmata Helena has a vice grip on everything in and out of the Magadh. All evidences were against Acharya Chanakya. And it was his mother. I am not surprised that the Samrat's trust and faith on Acharya Chanakya has been shaken. Bindusar was never perceptive of the intrigue around him. Especially when his mind is clouded with emotion."

"So we just let Samrat Bindusar be around those who are trying to kill him? Who are trying to destroy everything Acharya worked to build?" Devrat asked.

Chanakya could just look out to the horizon. "For now, Bindusar can hold the Kingdom together without my help. I am sure. And with Mir Khurasan protecting him no one can harm him." Nazia heard Chanakya heaving a sigh.

Nazia realized that someone was behind her. She turned around to see a boy looking at her. Wearing the traditional garb of a Bhrahmin he barely looked a day older than her. The boy was obviously a companion of Chanakya. Nazia felt nervous. Her father had explicitly asked her to not eavesdrop on their conversations. She got up and put her hands together.

"Please don't tell my father." Nazia whispered pleadingly. The boy just stared at her. He shook his head and then said.

"Don't worry. I won't. I understand your curiosity."

Nazia smiled. "You came with Acharya Chanakya, didn't you?"

"Yes, your highness." The boy nodded. Nazia found the gentle sparkle in his eyes quite enchanting.

The two stared at one another as the setting rays of the sun shone through the small patterns of the divider.

"What is your name?" She was finally able to ask.

"Radhagupt!" Chanakya called.

"I must go now." Radhagupt whispered at her.

"Can we meet later?" Nazia asked.

"Let's see." Radhagupt said flashing her a grin before leaving.

And they did. Throughout her struggles as the daughter of Sudhama she fondly remembered the few rendezvous she shared with the student of Chanakya. His modesty, his wit, his knowledge and his humility, all of it endeared to her. There were sons of nobles from affluent kingdoms who tried to impress her. They courted her endlessly trying to win her heart. But Radhagupt had done that without even trying.

But before she could say anything he left. Without saying a word he left with his Acharya. Just like that.

She cried herself to sleep for days much to her father's bemusement. Young and foolish as she was, she could not come up with a coherent answer to her father's simple questions.

It took her a while to forget about Radhagupt. When she finally got married in her husband she found the solace of companionship she always desired. And it finally looked like that Keechak's ascendency could be curbed.

But it all ended brutally in that battle. After which Keechak ascended the throne of Taxilla. And now in the confines of the palace she started thinking about that Brahmin again. She wondered where he was now. Was he even alive. Did he even remember her?

Nazia heard her father suddenly bolting into the room. Nazia sat up. Nazia's eyes widened with surprise. It was a while since she saw her father look this happy. He was shaking with excitement. Nazia looked to his hands to see a parchment.

"Father." Nazia asked. "What is it?"

"Samrat Bindusar has sent the Magadh army. They are coming for Keechak." Sudhama said with relief. Nazia stood up and rushed to her father's side

"Keep it down." Nazia said suppressing her smile. "Are you sure?"

"Positive." Sudhama said lowering his voice. "Devrat has written this letter himself. Rajkumar Ashok is leading the Magadh Sena. He has already defeated Keechak's army twice."

Nazia felt her heart skip a beat. God was finally showing His benevolence to them. Nazia was confused about something.

"Rajkumar Ashok?" Nazia asked. "Who is he?"

"Samrat Bindusar's long lost son. Acharya Chanakya's last student." Sudhama said quietly.

"What do you mean?" Nazia asked suddenly feeling anxious. "Does that mean-?"

Sudhama solemnly nodded. "Acharya Chanakya was killed a month ago."

"What else is written there?" Nazia asked. "Not much." Sudhama said looking out to the balcony. "This is the worst and the best news I have had in months. I just hope Rajkumar Ashok gets here on time."

Nazia was desperate to know more. She had hoped vain for years that Radhagupt would return.

"Is Radhagupt with Rajkumar Ashok?" Nazia asked. Sudhama looked at his daughter.

"Radhagupt?" Sudhama asked.

"Acharya Chanakya's student!" Nazia cried.

"I am not sure." Sudhama replied.

"He is not dead is he?" Nazia asked fearfully.

"From what Devrat says here, a lot of people died alongside Chanakya." Sudhama sighed. "Rahdagupt could have been one of them."

Nazia felt throat go dry. With great effort she suppressed her tears. Sudhama didn't notice his daughter's strange reaction. He just looked at the parchment in his hands. His face contorting between hope and anxiousness.

Nazia walked away from her father. It is very much possible that Radhagupt died by his Acharya's side. And that possibility weighed heavily on her heart. A lone tear fell down her face.

I wish I could have seen him. One last time.

Back in Magadh.

Radhagupt was in his room sitting on the side of his bed. 

Things were quite stable in Magadh. The security measures have been ramped up. Envoys were sent to all Janpads to ensure that they didn't join Keechak's rebellion. And former Senapati Sudheshan's trial was ongoing. But until Ashok returned Radhagupt doubted that the matter would be fully resolved.

Radhagupt carved the wooden bird with his dagger as he stared at the map of Magadh.

His messenger from Assandh had returned with positive news. Ashok was in good health. Senapati Rudra had successfully converged his Sena with the Magadh Army. Bhim Ji has been elected as the Senapati. And Acharya Devrat had also joined Ashok's side. Prantpal Sudhama was still alive. And apparently there are groups of armed resistance struggling against Keechak.

War was inevitable. He was only a young boy when Maharaj Bindusar and Keechak fought that battle. But he remembered well enough that the situation back then was beyond any negotiations or peaceful settlement.

And the current situation is the same. Keechak was not the type to accept anything less than unconditional surrender or a crushing defeat.

It won't be long before Ashok leads the Magadh Sena into the Taxilla region. Radhagupt could only hope that everything goes according to plan. And he hoped that Prantpal Sudhama and his family remained unharmed by the end of this war.

Bindusar stood on the balcony looking out to the scenery before him. He received the message from Ashok a few days ago. He was going to reach Taxilla in a week. Siyamak will depart after Ashok leaves Assandh. Bindusar felt relieved. But at the same time he felt nervous. He looked out to his glowing capital. The splendor of Patliputra always made Bindusar's heart swell with pride.

"You summoned me Pitaji?"

Bindusar turned around to see his eldest son, once his brightest prospect. The source of his pride. The past few months had changed a lot of things. Bindusar had a hard time accepting the dark traits of his son. It was unfortunate. He could not ignore his son's transgressions any longer. However the situation of Magadh was getting out of hand.

"I need you to go to Tosali." Bindusar said quietly. Sushim looked at him questioningly.

"Any particular reason Pitaji?" Sushim asked.

"I am asking you to." Bindusar said. "Do you need any more reasons?"

"No sire." Sushim replied. "I just wanted to know what exactly do I have to do there."

"There are rumors that the Prantpal of Tosali might be extending his support to Keechak." Bindusar said turning his back on Sushim. "Keechak might have some of his old allies there. I need you to go there and ensure that no other treachery takes place. Tosali is an important region and very close to Kalinga. We cannot afford to fight two fronts right now."

"Understood Pitaji." Sushim said nervously.

"You will leave tomorrow." Bindusar said looking at Sushim.

"Tomorrow?" Sushim asked.

"Tomorrow!" Bindusar repeated. Sushim bowed.

"Understood Pitaji. I will make my preparations."

"Good." Bindusar nooded. "You may go now. And tell the guards to send Drupad to me. I would like to spend some time with him."

"As you wish Maharaj." Sushim nodded and walked away.

Bindusar sighed. He hoped to see more eagerness from his son. If a Mauryan Prince hesitates to do his duties how will he ascend the throne? Charumitra and Khalnatak has been buzzing around him about how ready Sushim is to be his Uttaradhikari. But he wasn't sure. The last few months had cast a lot of doubts in his mind.

But he didn't really have time to ponder over this. Bindusar thought irately. He wished Charumitra would let him focus on the matter at hand. And that is dealing with what would be the third rebellion in a year. Something was not right. He needed to re-assess his administration.

Acharya. Pitaji. I wish you were here. I could use your guidance.

Leave your thoughts below hope you enjoyed it. πŸ˜Š

Sorry for the late update. Had some work. πŸ˜†

Chapter 14: https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/post/133484545

Edited by babur1527 - 7 years ago
shailusri1983 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
The one thing I like about your FF is the continuity you maintain in the story, the gradual build up of the tempo, constructing a three- dimensional character arc for almost all the characters and taking things to their logical conclusion. Thank you for writing this FF for all if us. At least we have the luxury here of seeing the Ashok we always wanted to see on the show. 
The insights Acharya Rudra gave Ashok regarding his fighting and defense techniques and how to work on them was really good. Similarly, the meeting between Keechak, Seleucus, and Mir Khorasan was brewing with tension. So finally Rakshas also joins the enemy gang making them even stronger than ever. 

I like the fact that you introduced the back story of Sudhama and his daughter Nazia. Sudhama is either a Kshatriya or a Brahmin, so I'm curious to know why his daughter's name is Nazia. Was it because she married a Khorasanis chieftain and changed her name after marriage? I also feel that Nazia might be paired with Radhagupt later on in the story. Is it so?

Great update! Continue soon!