Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Disenchanted- thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 9 years ago
Chapter 24

It was a wonderful day for Dilsher Ranavat his Parvati beendani had come home. It didn't matter if she was married to his son or not, she was family. Years ago his wife had taught him that beauty was only skin deep. Their marriage wasn't strong enough to bear the stress of his broken limb. His wife wasn't wise enough to understand his loss, his pain. She expected him to just get another job. So what if he doesn't get to wear his BSD uniform with pride. She didn't realise that he didn't know anything other than being Major Dilsher Ranavat. All Ranavats men enlisted, ever since India attained independence. And their women found some small way to make money on their own. Her sister had wanted to start a masala business, she wanted him to join hands with her. It was the first time he hit her, he couldn't bear the insult. She didn't realise that he didn't know anything other than being Major Dilsher Ranavat. He was willing to invest money on their little venture, he didn't object her participation in it. But he would be damned before he started to work with them. His hands were meant to hold guns and fire at the nation's enemies not pound spices in their aangan like a woman.

Mala went on to work with her sister. He started to drink to forget his pain. Alcohol made him embittered and she had to face his harsh barbs. She stayed away from home using the masala business as her excuse. He didn't know clearly what her role was, Mohini seemed to be focusing on the manufacturing and his wife handled the business end. This arrangement didn't make sense. The older sister was more thrifty in deals yet the younger one chose to go out and get the orders. One drunken night, she had just returned with a light in her eyes and a spring in her step. She must have had a successful trip. His own helplessness to put food on tge table forced him to accuse her, "You look happy. Tell me is it your beauty that brings you success or your brains? That pretty face must come in handy when you work with men." She looked stricken but there was guilt mixed with pain in her eyes. Did she have anything to be guilty about, he wondered. Mala looked at him defiantly, "You can't get away with this forever. You are a fool if you think nobody will stand for me." His rage knew no bounds at being called a fool. He grabbed her by her hair and pushed her against the bed, "Who will stand up for you? Your sister, she doesn't like you. My brother, wouldn't dare." Rudra had come in hearing the noise, "Bapusa, are you alright? I thought you fell down." He hated seeing pity in his son's eyes where there should be respect. But the boy saved all his love and respect for his mother, even though she barely had time for him these days. She was the center of his little world but now she only had money on her mind.

One night he slipped off his bed and fell, he shouted for help. But his wife wasn't in the room, he assumed she was with their son. He held on to the bedside table and tried to prop himself up. A piece of paper floated to the ground. He turned on the night lamp and read. She was leaving and taking their son along. His Rudra, the only thing left in his life, he had to stop her. He got up as quickly as he could and rushed to Rudra's room. She was trying to wake him up but the boy was sound asleep. He dragged her out and she pleaded with him to hand over his son. "You have decided to leave. That is fine, I won't stop you. I have had enough of your nonsense. But you are taking my son with you" he roared. She had made arrangements for both of them, they will be fine. Her friend will take them in. He was a kind man and will be a good father. Dilsher was stunned, his wife wasn't leaving him. She was going to someone else, probably with more money, better looks or at least someone who could stand without support. He shut the door never wanting to see her face again. He lost his faith in women that day. He realised how opportunistic they could be as they danced with the good times and fled when things got tough. He was a fool but he would make sure his son wasn't. That boy will never bow down to the whims of a woman.

But Parvati had proven him wrong and restored what his wife had destroyed. She showed him by her simple, kind ways that women are caring, loyal and trustworthy. She won him over so effortlessly that he started to dream that they could keep her in their lives forever. He almost wished that his son married her on that ill-fated Shivratri, even if it was the last thing she wanted. Like the gentle rain on the scorching desert, she would have tempered his anger. She would have taught his son to respect familial ties, to trust relationships and probably one day believe in love again. She had managed to melt his own frozen heart by the warmth of goodness she radiated. She would have made their odd little family complete.

"Bapusa," came the sweetest voice he had ever heard. Paro had brought him tea. He asked her to sit with him for sometime and tell him about her life in Jaipur. She shared little anecdotes of her work and her aunt's house which made him proud. "The scared girl who was hiding on top of Rudra's cupboard has blossomed into a confident young woman now" he remarked. She disagreed, she was still scared at times. "You are Parvati, named after a goddess You are kind and benevolent, but if the need arises you can become like Durga, furious and prepared to annihilate your foes. You managed to stand against with my Rudra and are still strong. Even against that traitorous Tejawat, you didn't bow down, but made him run and hide instead. You have nothing to be scared of my child." His words gave her little comfort as she knew the price for fighting his son kept her away from the Ranavats for months. She didn't mind that any more, it was her fault and her punishment was over. But Tejawat had his revenge by killing her aunt. The goddess Durga would have managed to keep her lives intact while striving for victory.

Dilsher saw her crestfallen face and told her about his life and Jaipur and all the spots they used to visit when Rudra was a child. "When we first reached Jaipur, he was so angry with me. But what can I do, I'm his father. I couldn't watch him come home fighting from school everyday. Whatever happened, wasn't his fault. He deserved a fresh start. Jaipur has parks, zoo and so many places but nothing managed to bring a smile to his face. Then one night, I saw him staring at the stars. His face looked peaceful" he recollected. The night sky must have felt like his life, she thought. Dark and dreadful with a few happy moments shining through like stars. "That weekend I took him to Jantar mantar. And Paro, my boy was so happy. I had managed to make him smile" he smiled too, remembering that day. Paro knew the odd father and son well who never openly showed their love but had hearts filled with overwhelming affection for each other.

A few hours later, Mohini knocked on Rudra's door. He was expecting her to come and discuss the job for Sumer. But there was something odd about her expression. Her smile looked genuine and she had a tray with tea and samosas for him. "Kakisa, what are you doing here? I would have come outside myself in a minute" he said politely and took the tray from her. She looked at him carefully, he was not the first Ranavat in uniform but he certainly wore it with more confidence and elan than his father or brother. His ruthlessness and passion had won him many medals which shined in the evening sunlight which graced his room. Except for his soft brown eyes and his long, slender fingers which he inherited from his mother, he was the quintessential Ranavat man bred to perfection. If only she had realised that before, she would have been kinder to her nephew. She has been given a second chance since he is back, she needed to make the best of it. If his father can think of her Sumer as his own, she could do the same for Rudra.

She told him that she wanted to give him something and hands over a box. He opened it to find a gold chain with a butterfly pendant. "What should I do with this" he asked perplexed. Mohini told him that it belonged to his grandmother. "She used to wear this all the time. And you always used to tug it when you lay as a baby om her lap. She used to tease you saying that she couldn't give it to you. But if you bring home a beendani as lovely as this butterfly, she would give hand it over to your bride" she said remembering her mother-in-law's words. He stared at her incredulously, "What... I mean...to whom will I give this. I don't want this now" he stammered. She gently smiled and told him that she will keep it safe until his bride enters their home. She had found this when looking for Sunheri's baby bangles to be worn by Shanthi for the upcoming function.

Dilsher dropped by and saw his mother's chain. He remembered how Rudra was fascinated by it. "This boy was always behind butterflies wasn't he? He would spend the entire summer trying to capture them and keep them in his room. Remember once he made Sunheri cry when she released them from the box," he asked Mohini. Rudra defended himself saying that he was a child then and all his friends collected butterflies too. His father knew, how he was still very protective of a particular butterfly-like maiden and was upset that she was taken away from him.

Dilsher enquired whether Rudra gave Mohini their Jaipur address for Sumer. "I haven't spoken about the job to Rudra yet as he just got home" she clarified. Rudra was then informed of it and he told her that Prashant is their old neighbour who will be happy to take on Sumer if he is ready to work hard and not take advantage of his friend. Dilsher was pleased he left to talk to Sumer.

Mohini apologised for discussing the job offer with Dilsher, "You seemed disinclined with it and it was a good opportunity for Sumer. So I discussed this with your father and uncle." Rudra didn't mind at all, infact nothing would please him more than Sumer in Jaipur being useful. He has been relaxing too much under his mother's shadow. Its about time he settled down and took up a job. Especially now since Maithili bhabhisa was busy with Shanti and she needs another beendani to run around doing all the work. Mohini pretended to be offended as she told him that she was still hale and healthy and can take care of their home by herself. But she thought to herself dreamily, how another beendani will be nice.

"Rudra banna, you will be staying at home for dinner won't you? Paro has come over and she is making something special with Maithili" she wanted to make sure before leaving the room. Rudra was startled by this, he didn't see any constable around, how did she come? Why wasn't he informed sooner? "Because he just got back and she will be here till dinner. But she will need someone to drop her back home." He offered to go and rushed out of his room to meet her. Mohini laughed to herself, nothing much had changed, the boy was still chasing a butterfly. Rudra went straight to the kitchen where his bhabhisa was found alone. "Bhabhisa, where is Paro?" he enquired. She had gone to the front to get chilli powder from the women who were pounding chillies in the aangan.

He heard the voices before he saw the women talk, "Some girls have no sense of propriety, after leaving the man at the mantap, she still walks in coolly into his home." Another voice spoke up, "She never wanted to marry him, it was for some military matter she was here. But you know she actually stayed with him, in the same room before the family came to know about it." A third voice spoke up, "Kuwarsa can't be expected of more as he was raised by his father alone once his mother left them, but this woman should have known better." He looked around and saw Paro standing by a pillar facing away from them, with a bowl in her hand. Her eyes glistened with unshed tears and she quickly left without meeting his glance. He held her hand gently as she ran past him. She shook him off without a word. He walked up to the women and told them all to focus on their work and not discuss his personal matters. "Paro!Paro!" he went around looking for her. But she had already left.

He quickly got into his jeep thinking how she get home herself. He was supposed to drive her back. It wasn't safe for her to be wandering by herself at this time. He found her at the bus stand. "I'll take you home, Paro. Get in" he instructed. She ignored him much to his annoyance. "Its not safe here..." he started when she cut him off, "Staying with you isn't going to protect me from people's words. In fact it makes them talk all the more." He knew she was right, it hurt when he was unable to protect her. But leaving her alone was not an option he could bring himself to consider. She spotted the bus leaving to Jaipur and went towards it. He grabbed her, "Don't you dare walk away from me." She glared at him, there was a crowd gathering around them slowly. "Bhaisa, keep your domestic quarels indoors. Don't embarrass your wife in public like this," said a passenger as he climbed in. "I'm not his wife" she said softly feeling worse than before. "Mind your own business" Rudra snapped at the man seeing her face pale. She got in and took a seat near an old woman. The conductor of the bus stopped him from boarding saying that they were already behind schedule and didn't have the time for lovers' quarrels. With one last look,he left. And Paro burst into tears the minute he left.

Rudra knew it was his fault that people were talking ill of her. She had warned him plenty of times that he was making a mockery of rituals and relationships. But he was blind to everything but getting justice for his men. Since she stood in the way, he ruthlessly destroyed her. Even now his part in the fake marriage was ignored and easily blamed on bad parenting. But people were not as forgiving when it came to Paro. Society was so biased when it came to such situations were the woman is always crucified and the man gets off scot free. She may have faced this since Shivratri. No wonder she choose to rebuild her life in Jaipur. People respected her there and nobody discussed what happened here.

The bus was almost at Jaipur when Paro wiped of her tears. "He loves you" said the woman next to her. She was shocked, Rudra doesn't love her. She thought he cared but if he did, why didn't he just leave her alone. It would make everything simpler. The wise woman told her, men can't do anything sensible when it came to matters of the heart. But the fact that he is still with her is the strongest evidence thay he can't be without her. She gave her co-passenger a small smile, "No, he must be back with his family and I will be home soon too." The woman pointed out of the window and there he was, Major Rudra Pratap Ranavat driving next to the bus looking at her with remorse in his eyes.

Edited by rithureuben - 9 years ago
deepsel thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
What an update darling...Ummauh

I loved it...πŸ‘πŸ‘

Your last line made me sit and read the whole chapter before proceeding to other posts

Major Rudra Pratap Ranavat driving next to the bus looking at her with remorse in his eyes. 

How lovely and mature the way their heart speaks for each other...

I liked how you squeezed Mals's story in between..

Mohini's character is churning out well..

I am surprised to see Rudra's fondness towards TitliπŸ˜‰...Liked Mohini's comment when he ran behind ParoπŸ˜†πŸ˜†

All is going well..I am scared what bomb is going to explode in their peaceful life..

Now Love is in the air..Let it blossom before the inevitable strikes..

Cheers πŸ€—
Deepa
Edited by deepsel - 9 years ago
custodian75 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Lovely update. Nice to see the sober version of Mohini. 
Ranawat has undergone so much of pain, but in the processes hurt others. If Paro could heal Rudr then Dilsher is no surprise. 
What you say is so true that people do not try to find out the truth they just come to conclusions and that is the truth for them. They do not consider the hurt they are given others by this. Paro wanted to spend a day with loved ones and they spoilt it for her. Hope Rudr will be able to console her. 
firsttimehere thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Lovely update Rithu πŸ˜Š I specially loved the last part where he just did not leave her but followed her to Jaipur. .I somehow have a tinge bit of more respect towards men who somehow try to undo the damage / hurt they caused their women by standing up for them against others. I have always liked Rudra for standing up for his lady and having a spine. πŸ˜Š
KhushiParo thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Awesome update Rithu.
Will add more ...

Ok! Back..

Hmm...  You surprised me again.πŸ˜•
I expected fireworks between ParudπŸ˜ƒ but ... well you did give but in a different way.πŸ˜†

This chapter focused a lot more from Dilsher's  POV and glad to know he was also in army, in the serial he was a business man, but this suits more for his attitude.
I like how Kakisa showing lot of affection for Rudra but is it for her own profit I mean for Sumer or is she really feeling affection? I'll take the latter and be happy for Rudra as he missed all these when he was a kid. As Rudra started considering them as family I hope Kakisa also does the same without expecting any profit.πŸ˜†

Well coming to the important scene...you touched very sensitive issue and I'm very eager for Rudra's reaction how he handles it now. I know he'll follow the bus πŸ˜³He can not just let her go alone. He can not see Paro hurt physically or emotionally anymore. He gave lot of pain and it's his responsibility now to make amends.
It's amazing how you changed it's Rudra who chases butterflies and as Kakisa said he's chasing now also, that too a precious one.😊

Ok I'll stop now for the sake of you and all who might accidentally read this.
Will wait for your update and for the surprise you and deeps planning.
πŸ€—

PS: Requesting to make Paro smile in next update

Edited by KhushiParo - 9 years ago
kulfi89 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Hi nice update... Felt bad for Paro... But atleast Rudra realises his mistake now... Anger destroys not only him but also others... Waiting to see wat he s gonna do to undo his mistake...
Crazy410 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Awww... he loves her. Has remorse in his eyes. How emotional was this chapter. Rudra loves his titli. Now he has to convince her that he truly loves her.πŸ˜›
neet2407 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Wonderful chapter Rithu!
Great how you incorporated Dilsher and Mala's story and how he restored his faith in women through Paro and wants the same for his son
Good that Mohini seems to have changed too and then those horrible women - quite rightly it is the women who always suffer more and Rudra can now see it !
I loved that he was riding next to the bus he will catch this butterfly πŸ˜‰
henamani thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 3 Thumbnail
rudra has his own way of showing care towards paro. sth which was lost during the serial
thakurpreeti thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Rithu, Wonderful chapter, amazing story, after reading ur chapter desperately waiting for next chapter ''''