ArHi FF: Silent Whispers Thread 2: Link to Th 3 Pg 1

-Archi- thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 8
Posted: 9 years ago

The content of this story belongs strictly to the author, -Archi-. Any unwarranted use/copy of it is not encouraged and is strictly prohibited.

How is it thread two already?! πŸ˜²πŸ˜†

A big THANK YOU to all my readers! If it wasn't for you and your incredible interest in my crazy story, I don't think I would have written past the second chapter. Needless to say, hope you guys continue to enjoy this FF. 

If you want a PM every time I update, please send me a buddy request. 

Archi

Index

Thread One
Introduction - Prologue
Chapter   1 - A Strange Family 
Chapter   2 - No Place for Roses
Chapter   3 - Prisons
Chapter   4 - Still at the Door
Chapter   5 - The First Sight 
Chapter   6 - Adamantly Steadfast 
Chapter   7 - Blood, Sweat and Tears 
Chapter   8 - The Truth to Charm 
Chapter   9 - Prove Me Wrong 
Chapter 10 - Off Limits 
Chapter 12 - Hammered 
Chapter 13 - Unfinished Business 
Chapter 14 - Damsel in Distress
Chapter 15 - Unforeseen
Chapter 16 - Parks of the Past
Chapter 17 - The Shrink
Chapter 18 - Kiss it Goodbye

Thread Two 
Chapter 19 - Into an Inferno
Chapter 20 - Unraveling
Chapter 22 - Being Impulsive
Chapter 24 - Forever Soiled
Chapter 26 - Colpo di Fulmine
Chapter 29 - Blood Brothers
Chapter 30 - Kaput
Chapter 32 - Absinthe

Chapter 33+ - Thread 3

Edited by -Archi- - 9 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Arshi1195 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 6
I just started reading and I'm obsessed! Update soon :)
shimrarshi thumbnail
Congrats for new threadπŸ˜ƒ
arnaushi thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
congrats on the new thread...and i just started reading this FF since morning and i m in aww with it...really loved the plot and i m your new reader!!!
the way you have described arnav's character was just awesome..it is very rare to see all carefree and naughty and teasing khushi, which is really very very sweet according to me.
khushi is a troubled person at present taking in to account her parents ugly divorce, which not only destroyed the parents but also their kids who were unknowingly dragged into this. Divorce's always leave a destroyed path behind it. 
The amount of pain that garima has went when she was abandoned by her husband is intolerable for any woman. and khushi who misinterpreted her mother's lack as her fault for their divorce. she now is trying to not lode her mother who is suffering from cancer. that was lovely when she reacted to the news...thank god she now with her mother at least!!
shyam was also affected by it and he took up the responsibility of his mother, his sister and the whole house...loved the bond between shyam-khushi and shyam-anjali...their love story is cute!!
liked the way arnav and khushi fight. their relationship is also unstable as of now as she is in an unwanted love relationship with akash. she should take control otherwise she might lose her best friend too!!
lavanya is cool character. liked her very much!!!
waiting for more from you...
plz PM me when you update next!!
Edited by arnaushi - 9 years ago
zafi thumbnail
Name: animcongrats.gifViews: 68281Size: 141.7 KB
On The New Thread. Edited by zafi - 9 years ago
archita_59 thumbnail
Congratz on the new thread!
55555666666 thumbnail
Congrats on your second thread!!!!! :-)
-Archi- thumbnail
Hey guys,

Huge THANK YOU for all the wonderful comments to the last chapter as well as sticking around to see thread 2! πŸ˜ƒ  Hope you like the rest of the story even more. 

A BIG WELCOME TO ALL THE NEW READERS! πŸ€— Thank you for your amazing comments 

Disclaimer: All the things relating to law/ legal proceedings is purely my own imagination. Please ignore any mistakes! 

Silent Whispers
-CHAPTER NINETEEN-
Into an Inferno

"So, what did Dr. Awasti say?" Garima asked.

Khushi looked blankly at her mother.

While it was late into the evening, almost bordering on the time to welcome the warmth of one's bed, Khushi was far from calling it a day. After a violent shout-out with her boss that morning, she had resigned herself to a day of solitude, when Divya Awasti, one of the city's biggest oncologists demanded for a meeting.

Having taken over the responsibility of Garima's treatment, Khushi had no option but to come to Lilavati Hospital. However, after finishing the short consultation with the doctor, she was unexpectedly dragged by a persistent nurse to visit her mother -
Something she had avoided since the day she stormed at her brother.

It appeared that the world was out to make her miserable. What a surprise.

"Meeti? What's wrong?"

Khushi cleared her throat. "Wrong? Nothing is wrong."

"Then why are you quiet?"

"I'm always quiet... with you anyway."

Garima let out a sigh. "I agree we haven't had much of a conversation in a long time, but that doesn't mean I have forgotten how my daughter is like when she is worried, as opposed to when she isn't."

Khushi was mum. Needless to say, her mother understood her turmoil spot on.

She was worried.

Ever since Arnav declared her selfish, her mind leaped into a rampage. Was she really narrow-minded to the point that she didn't see past winning and losing? Was she immature enough to misunderstand what was simply his way of teaching, to be his show of arrogance? Was she acting egotistical by thinking about her ambitions, and her ambitions only?

Despite spending the whole day mulling over these questions, Khushi had found no answers. No matter what, she just couldn't get herself to accept he was right. Not because she hated his superiority, but because the consequences, should she be wrong, were almost alarming.

She couldn't afford to have her world turned upside down. Not now.

"What is it going to take for you to tell me what's wrong?" Garima asked, patient.

Khushi shrugged. "It's not like you can fix it."

"Try me... I am not as unhelpful as you think I am."

"Well, it's not a problem... it's just this one guy, who happens to be my boss. He thinks I'm selfish and arrogant and everything else that is bad."

Garima looked curiously at her. "And since when do you care about what other people think about you?"

"I don't... it's just him. The way he yelled at me today..."

She trailed off, not being to able to explain the torment eating away at her. Arnav wasn't right... he couldn't be right. She had to prove that if she had any hope of sleeping tonight. 

"I hate when that happens," Garima said, unexpectedly. "You try so hard not pay attention to someone, but that's all you end up doing. It's not a pleasant feeling."

Khushi was astonished. She never expected her mother to understand anything, forget relating to it. "Who did you try to ignore?"

"Your father."

Silence followed her words. It was the first time Khushi ever heard Garima mention her husband. For some odd reason, the topic always remained as a taboo between them both.

"Why? Did you not like him?" Khushi slowly asked, curious to know more.

Garima looked at her incredulously. "I never loved anyone more than him in my entire life."

"Loved? Didn't you have an arrange marriage?"

"Arrange marriage?! God, no... I would have never consented to an arranged marriage."

Khushi was now really confused. Her mother's cheeky smile didn't add up to the tragic ending they both knew. What was amiss?

"Do you mind elaborating?" she finally asked.

"Well it's not some fairy tale," Garima replied with a sigh. "I was the only child in my house, so I was pampered by everyone, especially my father. Back then, he used be the wealthiest man in the entire village. I grew up almost as a rebel, getting everything I wanted. My father didn't even object when I told him I loved Shashi."

Khushi listened disbelievingly. Her mother, a rebel?!

"Of course, all of that was a scandal back then. Shashi belonged to a small family, practically poor compared my father's wealth... but he was smart and educated. I fell for him the second I met him."

"Because he was educated?"

"Because he was charming... you could talk to him for hours without even realizing it. Every girl in the village died to just get a glimpse of him, but he would devote all his attention to me. I don't even know why or how I fell in love with him. But when I did, I knew I couldn't live without him."

A blissful smile was covering Garima's face as she recounted what was perhaps the best part of her life. It appeared that even mere memories of Shashi brought immense happiness to her.

And without even realizing it, Khushi yearned to know more. "What happened then?"

"We got married... I never really cared about what people thought; I did what I wanted to. The whole thing was so quick ... it felt like one day I was married, then the next, I was holding Shyam in my arms, and after that Shashi was talking about moving to Delhi. I didn't agree at first... how can I just leave everything and go to a strange city? Even my father didn't approve - he heard enough bad things about big cities to never trust them."

Khushi vaguely imagined her grandfather, a tall man with a grave face, oppose to the idea. Having spent a good chunk of her childhood with him, she could accurately guess his reasons for objecting.

"But Shashi was adamant... he could be, when he wanted to. I just never really got over his charm to pay much attention to his flaws. Eventually I was convinced... after all, how could my son ever become something big if he was stuck in a small village that had no hope of growing? So, my father sold some of his property and we moved here."

Though Garima didn't say it, Khushi knew the good part of the story was over. Now came the problems that till date, continued to plague them. 

"Things were okay at first... Shashi found a job pretty quickly, considering his experience. I busied myself with Shyam, but you can only ignore the truth for so long. And the changes in Shashi were very hard to ignore."

"What changes?"

"For one, he used to never be home. He would leave early in the morning and come back late at night. Some nights he didn't even come home... I assumed he was busy with work. That's what he told me every time I asked."

"And you believed him?"

Garima looked at her. "I loved him... I couldn't even dream he would lie to me back then."

Khushi refrained from saying anything; however, her thoughts were very obvious.

"You don't know him as well I do Meeti," Garima explained. "He was convincing, clever... He would never say or do anything that made me angry or upset. It was like he knew what I wanted even before I knew it myself. It took me years to get out of that and see exactly how manipulative he really was. Even now, I have a hard time sometimes believing he didn't love me... it sounds almost absurd."

"So if he loved you so much, what was the problem?"

"The problem was that I couldn't give him what he wanted. After moving here, after seeing the kind of lavish life one could have, his priorities changed... Keeping me happy was not as important as getting a promotion and earning more money. By the time you were born, Shashi had grown to be one of the most influential people in the city... it was remarkable, given such a short span of time."

"Wait - how did you have me, if he was always busy...?"

Garima looked at her lap, forlorn. "It was on my insistence... I used to feel very lonely without him. Sure I had Shyam, and a big house full of servants at my command, but it wasn't the same. So, I just put my foot down and told Shashi we needed another a child, hoping that he would change his crazy drive to become rich after seeing you... That was the only time he couldn't convince me to agree with him."

Khushi felt odd to hear that. She had grown to love her father, nearly as much as her brother, only to realize that he had never wanted her in the first place?

Not wanting to dwell on the new revelation, she pressed on. "So did I? Did I change his priorities?"

"I don't know about priorities Meeti, but his behavior definitely changed. He started acting strange with me, always getting mad at something or the other... we were arguing and fighting almost every day. It came to a point where anything I said would make him angry. So I kept quiet... I hoped it was just a phase and would pass within no time."

Garima paused, no doubt remembering those horrific days of her married life.  A sigh escaped her lips, before she continued:

"But like I said, there is only so long you can be ignorant. And my ignorance ended the day Balraj Roy decided to visit me."

A line appeared on Khushi's forehead. "Isn't Balraj Roy the previous owner of Joshi and Sons?"

Garima nodded. "You were eight by that time. It was one of those rare days Shashi was in a good mood. He came home early and took you to the park... I was making dinner when Balraj came. He was a pretty old man, considering how famous he was. I knew Shashi worked for him, so I invited him inside. But I quickly found out that he came for me."

"What did he want?"

"He wanted me to sign an agreement that basically said I wasn't married to Shashi... and that we were living together mutually, not as a couple."

"What? Why?!"

"Apparently his daughter fell in love with Shashi... and it wouldn't be good for Balraj's image if his son-in-law was a divorcee with two children. So, to save his respect in the society, and to legalize his daughter's affair with my husband, he asked me to negate our marriage."

Khushi was too stunned to speak.

Garima grimaced. "I refused right away... I truly believed Shashi would stay with me. After all, we had been together for so long that I don't even remember what life was without him. So I told Balraj to leave."

"But he didn't stay with you," Khushi stated, blankly.

"No... when Shashi came home, he told me flat out that he loved Juhi, Balraj's daughter, and that he was going to marry her come what may. Apparently, I was lucky to get that agreement... he said, I should be happy I'm being offered money in exchange for my silence."

Khushi remembered the conversation in question, having committed it to memory as the last day she saw her father. However, it felt as if she was seeing the whole thing a fresh, hearing it from Garima.

"And when I didn't listen, Shashi warned me that Balraj won't hesitate to ruin me... to ruin my family, as if it was no longer his family..."

Khushi vaguely heard her father's words reverberate from that day:

Don't be silly. You have no idea what Mr. Roy will do - he can go to any lengths for his daughter. Sign that agreement if you know what's good for this family.

How wrongly she misunderstood the whole conversation... She had blamed her mother for ruining their family, when it was her father all along. How stupid could she have been?!

"I tried to make him understand," Garima said, disheartened. "But all of my cries just fell on deaf ears. Shashi had made up his mind and there was no changing it... that was the first time, I realized the extent of his selfishness. He didn't care that he was ruining three people's lives with his decision to leave. All he wanted was to be affluent... and if marrying Juhi gave him that, then he had no complains whatsoever."

Khushi looked at her mother, almost fearing to know what happened next. "B-but you fought, right? You took the case to court, no?"

"I tried to fight," Garima corrected slowly. "But Balraj was too powerful and Shashi, too clever. What hope did I have against them? I had filed a case saying he can't marry Juhi without divorcing me. But there was no proof that I was married to Shashi in the first place..."

"How is that possible?! You had your marriage certificate, right?!"

Garima snorted. "Don't be naive Meeti... you know better than me how this works. How much do you think it would have cost Balraj to make the records of my marriage disappear?"

Khushi was quiet.

"He bribed everyone... starting from our neighbors, all the way to my relatives. Everyone was scared of him, of his power. The only person who stood by me was my father, but his testimony was outweighed. There was no proof whatsoever that I was married to Shashi."

"But what about us?! Me and Bhaiyya are his children!"

"Yes, but legally not out of a marriage...  by the time you and Shyam were even considered, I was proven to be nothing but Shashi's mistress. And since when was a mistress ever trustworthy? What was the guarantee I didn't have you both with someone else?"

Khushi was flabbergasted. "What about DNA testing-"

Garima let out a sarcastic laugh. "You think it got that far? There was one hearing Meeti... It took them ten minutes to prove the marriage certificate I had was fabricated. Ten minutes more to prove that I'm delusional to think we had a wedding in my village - apparently it was some irrelevant ceremony, attested by the Pandit himself. The rest of the time went into proving me characterless... They said I was just trying to get attention and money by defaming the ever so reputable Balraj Roy, his daughter Juhi and his son-in-law, Shashi Joshi."

Garima turned to look at Khushi in despair. It was as if she was back in the courtroom, torturously reliving every moment of it. "They twisted anything and everything... The final verdict was that I'm a liar and all of my claims were false."

Khushi stared desolately at her mother, feeling her beliefs crash brick by brick. She had spent her whole life cursing the one woman she thought abandoned them, the one woman she wanted to prove wrong at all costs... but as fate would have it, that same woman was the reason she was still alive.

If it was up to her father, she would have been wiped off the face of this earth a long time ago; but she wasn't. She was still very much alive, having survived the storm that struck sixteen years ago, because her mother dared to fight and her brother dared to hope.

And instead of repaying them, she showered them both with spite and shut them away with their pleas to listen.

Arnav was right - she truly had no hope of ever understanding anyone.

"But honestly, the court's decision didn't hurt me as much as Shashi did," Garima said, her voice reeking with devastation. "I spent fifteen years of my life with him. I took care of his every need... every desire... I even gave birth to his children. But far from gratitude, he didn't even blink an eye to stand in front of me and say to my face that I was worthless and meant nothing to him... He despised me to the extent that he didn't even want you and Shyam..."

Khushi was tongue-tied, having no words whatsoever to console the shattered woman in front of her.

Garima gazed in mid-air, her eyes brimming with tears. "And you know what's the worst part of it all? Even after all this, I can't get myself to hate him... I keep thinking that maybe if I figured it out earlier, if I somehow convinced him to go back, far from this city, far from that Juhi, then maybe we would still be toge-"

"No," Khushi interrupted, miraculously finding her voice. "There is no convincing a man like him... you said it yourself - he is adamant and selfish."

Her mother looked on helplessly. "You asked me why I didn't fight back right? Why I just gave up without even trying?"

Khushi opened her mouth, wanting to correct what she ignorantly said the last time they met, but Garima didn't let her.

"I didn't fight harder because I couldn't," she murmured, tears now flowing down her cheeks. "After sitting through that hearing, where every single thing of my life was ridiculed and proved to be fake... I-I just couldn't get myself to do anything... It was as if everything was lost... as if there was no point to living... I spent all of my life with Shashi, for Shashi... I don't even know who I was without him..."

She trailed off, not being able to explain the anguish burning inside her.

Surprisingly, Khushi didn't need her to. She understood the latter's inaudible torment along with what she had been blind to for most of her life.

Love did exist. And it was much, much more than a dependence between two people. It drove you to extremes, pressed you to the breaking points and still made you want it.  It was nothing short of a one-way ticket into an inferno.

Garima's wretched state was proof of it.

Khushi suddenly felt relieved to finally make sense of so many loose ends. Sure, she still resolved to stay far from loving anyone; she neither had the guts nor the strength to face the agony eating away at her mother. Sure, she still harbored the ambition to make it big and prove herself.

But she longer felt the unexplainable ache inside her. In that one moment, the rage she had for her mother, for her troubled childhood, for her incomplete parentage vanished without a trace.

All she felt was her mother's grief breaking out into sobs in the still room. And for the first time in her entire life, Khushi gently reached out and grasped her mother's hand in sympathy.

It was the least she could do and the most Garima could hope for. By the time the sky outside the small window darkened to welcome the night, the two ladies were lost in their own thoughts, connected only by their entwined hands.

"I heard Shashi has a son now," Garima said suddenly.  

Khushi slowly nodded. "I think his name is Sahil... apparently he is the only heir to Joshi and Sons."

"Do you think if I had signed that agreement, Shashi would have cared for you and Shyam as much?"

Khushi understood the desperation in her mother's eyes. Despite having no choice in the matter, Garima still held herself responsible. "It doesn't matter. You did the right thing by not signing that stupid thing. Don't ever doubt that... or yourself."

Garima nodded dejectedly.

"Now please cheer up... I'm not good at the whole consoling thing."

A soppy smile spread across Garima's face. "You got that from my father," she said. "He never had much patience with people crying either."

"Really? Remind me to thank Nanaji for that the next time I see him."

Garima chuckled.

And that was it.

That was all that was needed to be exchanged between the two, because someone once said change happens once step at a time.  And at that moment, Khushi felt as if she took a million. 

There you go - the mystery behind Khushi's past is finally solved. All I'm going to say is that Shashi is Garima's weakness. She blindly loved him (and to some extent still does) and so, she couldn't get herself to live once he left, not even for her children. It's sad, but it's her biggest flaw πŸ˜”

I also made a character sketch outlining all the characters of this story in the post below. Since the characters here differ a lot from IPKKND, I figured this will help many of you. 

Please do hit the like button and leave a comment πŸ˜ƒ

Archi

P.S. - The next chapter will be up a week from today. 

-Archi- thumbnail

** I didn't include any pictures because I feel it's best to leave each character's appearance onto one's own imagination. (Plus, it's insanely hard trying to find people to fit the image I have in my mind for each character πŸ˜†)

Character Sketch

-RAIZADA HOUSEHOLD-

Devyani Sahni
Details: Took care of Arnav, Anjali & Akash since her daughter Kiran and son-in-law Alok passed away. Her son Karam lives in USA with his wife Manorama and son, Nand Kishore (NK).

Alok Singh Raizada
Details: Married to Kiran and father of Arnav, Akash and Anjali. He was a very serious and stern man, who believed in carrying on the Raizada legacy - a clothing company started by his father.

Kiran Singh Raizada (nee Sahni)
Details: Daughter of Devyani, married to Alok and mother of Arnav, Akash and Anjali. She was a very gentle and warm woman, who had the most influence in the upbringing of her children. Her husband spent most of his time working for his company, and hence didn't devote much time to the household.

Arnav Singh Raizada
Details: Oldest child of Alok and Kiran. He is a charming and carefree businessman, who took over his family's clothing company and reformed it to AR Designs (which is co-jointly owned by him, Akash & Anjali). He brought up his siblings after his parents passed away, and wants them to follow his father's footsteps.

Akash Singh Raizada
Details: Second son of Alok and Kiran, born five minutes before Anjali, his twin. He is calm, matured and aspires to be a painter. However, both his father, and later his brother, oppose. Since then Akash pursues his passion behind Arnav's back and refuses to take the ownership of AR Designs. His best friends are Lavanya and Khushi (who later becomes his girlfriend).

Anjali Singh Raizada
Details: Youngest child of Alok and Kiran. She is pampered by everyone, and is very sweet in nature. She works part time in AR Designs, having ownership of a third of the company. The rest of her time is devoted to interior designing. She is also a great gardener, having learned it from her mother.

-GUPTA HOUSEHOLD-

Purushottam Raj Gupta
Details: Belongs from a small village outside of Lucknow, in which he owns many lands. He is well respected in the area and has one daughter, Garima. He supports his grandchildren Shyam & Khushi, when his daughter goes into depression.

Garima Nandini Gupta
Details: Was married to Shashi Joshi and has two children, Shyam & Khushi. She was a carefree and cheery woman, until she was separated from her husband. After that incident, she goes into depression, from which it took her many years to recover.

Shyam Manohar Gupta
Details: Eldest child of Shashi and Garima. Being the city's biggest criminal lawyer and owner of Gupta Lawfirm, he is very mature and responsible. After his parents separated, he single-handedly took care of his family, with some help from his grandfather. His sister is the apple of his eyes, and means nothing less than a daughter. 

Khushi Kumari Gupta
Details: Youngest child of Shashi and Garima. She is headstrong, stubborn and ambitious, aspiring to become a business tycoon to prove her worth to everyone (especially her father). After her parent's separation, she becomes very bitter and looses belief in love. Her best friends are Akash (whom she begins dating not wanting to break his heart) and Lavanya.

Jaya
Details: Her family served Purushottam for many years. She was brought to Shyam's house when she was eight, as a maid. Her main responsibility was to take care of Khushi during Garima's depression. She grows up becoming attached to all the members, especially Shyam.

-JOSHI HOUSEHOLD-

Shashi Joshi
Details: Was married to Garima and had two children with her, Shyam and Khushi. During this time, he began working for Balraj Roy, a very affluent man, who owned a very big clothing company and fell in love with Juhi Roy. He then separated from Garima and settled down with Juhi, having a son with her. When he took ownership of Balraj Roy's company, he reformed it to Joshi and Sons

Juhi Joshi (nee Roy)
Details: Only daughter of Balraj Roy, married to Shashi and mother of Sahil. She is a dominating and clever woman, co-owning Joshi and Sons.

Sahil Joshi
Details: Only son of Shashi and Juhi. He is the heir to Joshi and Sons.

Balraj Roy
Details: Belonged to a very rich and powerful family of Delhi. He adored his daughter, Juhi and did anything for her happiness. After his death, his family business was passed down to his daughter and son-in-law, Shashi. The business is now called Joshi and Sons.

-KASHYAP HOUSEHOLD-

Anand Kashyap
Details: An affluent man, who owns a steel business and is a trustee of Delhi University. His wife passed away a few years ago. He wants his daughter to join his company.

Lavanya Kashyap
Details: Only daughter of Anand Kashyap. She is pretty, fashionable and carefree, aspiring to be an fashion designer. However, her father forces her to do MBA, wanting her to take over his business. She is in love with Aman, who she has been dating for four years. Her best friends are Khushi and Aaksh.

Aman Mathur
Details: A software engineer working in London, UK. He is an orphan and is in love with Lavanya. 

-SHARMA HOUSEHOLD-

Payal Sharma
Details: Hails from a middle-class family, and is known for looking traditional and "behenji" at FMS (i.e. Delhi University), where she is pursuing a MBA. She is known to be the matured and smart, often giving tough competition to toppers of the class. She is at loggerheads with Khushi & Lavanya (but not so much with Aaksh). 

-Xpress- thumbnail
Congrats on the new thread