Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 10 years ago
Yayyy...Always wanted something like this...
Surya_krsnbhakt thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
What is Mytho Masti Book Club? We'll be discussin about Mytho books?😃
j_joshi thumbnail
I think that's the idea, Surya, yes. I'm so excited!

One book I read years ago and adore is Yajnaseni, the story of Draupadi by Pratibha Ray. Have any of you read it? It's available in Hindi, English, and a whole bunch of Indian regional languages. It was original written in the author's language of Oriya. It's won tons of awards too because it's just so freaking genius! It gives such insight into what life must have been like for Draupadi, and how she was able to cope with five husbands and the life they all had. The conversations she has with Krishna are mindblowing! If you haven't read this book then I urge you to do so. It's so beautiful!

@ Lola - I wanted to post a link to my new Kindle book The Prophecy but it won't let me because I'm a newbie. (Which is totally understandable also. I didn't know if this was the right place to post the link anyway.)

Jai

Bhavaani thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 3
Jai I totally agree with you about Yajnaseni! The love Draupadi has for Krishna is shown so beautifully, alongside how she tries to balance her role of being a wife to five very different husbands.
I read the English version so I don't know how much has been lost in translation, but it's an excellent read, beautiful and very classic. I don't know whether it's because the book is written by a female author, but Draupadi isn't treated as a mute who goes along with everything and only speaks up in Hastinapur's Sabha. Pratibha Ray's Yajnaseni questions everything from get go, asking things that we ourselves probably would have, had we been in her position - one such incidence being when Yudhistir states that all 5 brothers should marry her.

Oops...sorry for hijacking your topic before it's been finished Jethaniji! Can't wait to discuss more with you guys! Another author I'd love to discuss is Ashok Banker! Anyone read his Ramayan/ unfinished Krishna and Mahabharat series?

RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Wow, it's about time we had a thread like this, thanks Lola. ðŸ˜ƒ I have so many mytho books I want to discuss with you guys, once this thread is officially open.
j_joshi thumbnail
Yeah, Janaki, I'm trying so hard not to mention any more books! It's not easy.

But Bhavaani, yes, Yajnaseni is brilliant. I can read it again and again.

Now I'm going to keep my mouth shut.
MagadhSundari thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Wow, this thread is active before it's even ready?! Color me pleasantly surprised 😆 The way I envisioned it, this will be a place for us to exchange reviews, recommendations, views, and interpretations of both novelized retellings of mythological stories (like Yajnaseni, which I've ordered on Vicky's recommendation and now I'm even more excited to read) and general spiritual texts (like various learned people's commentaries on the Bhagavatam, Gita, Vivekachudamani, etc.). Heck, we can even throw modern literature like Life of Pi into the mix for making us think about the role scriptural stories play in our lives. The only reason for my delay in editing the first post is that I haven't had time to decorate it, but other than that, it's open and ready to participate in! I look forward to the insights you guys have to offer :)
Surya_krsnbhakt thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Bhavaani

Another author I'd love to discuss is Ashok Banker! Anyone read his Ramayan/ unfinished Krishna and Mahabharat series?

I have just begun on his Ramayan. So don't reveal any secrets. I'm in Book Three.
varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

This content was originally posted by: Surya_krsnbhakt

I have just begun on his Ramayan. So don't reveal any secrets. I'm in Book Three.

Sorry to say, but I found it totally  B ðŸ¤¬ S ðŸ¤¬.  

Ramesh Menon's version is better.
Edited by varaali - 10 years ago