Thread3 Maan Proposes Geet Disposes[IMP Update Pg116] - Page 30

jazzerette thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 11 years ago
Chapter 28
Giving up Us, for You – Part 2

(August, 1982…)
(Amritsar…)

"So these are the great Khuranas," Jugnu sneered.

"Hmm," Brij replied, "Arjun was right. Mohinder has landed himself a big fish."

"Damn this Mohinder!" Jugnu cursed under his breath. "With relatives these important he will never fall under our schemes."

Both men were standing in a corner looking at the Khuranas mingle with the Handas. It was an amicable environment between both the families. Rano was introducing her sister to Savitri, Maan and Dev were playing with Lucky, Nayantara and Nandini were bonding like sisters with Sameera and Meera keeping chit-chat merry. And both the patriarchs were deep into discussion like long lost friends.

"True," Brij contemplated, "Why would Mohinder agree to our plans if he has no material obligations weighing on him? With Geet getting married into this family, half of his obligations are over and whatever pressure we could create would be taken care of by Chaudhary Khurana for sure." 

"I must get hold of that land Brij paahji. You know how bad my condition is in Canada." Jugnu directed a contempous glance at Mohinder and Geet. She had come in with a tray of glasses and was serving lassi* to the newly arrived guests. Like expected she first went and served her future father-in-law. A proud Mohinder beamed at his daughter's prudent action. He laid a loving hand on her head when she turned and offered him the next glass. Jugnu just glared harder at the father-daughter pair. "I don't even have the luxury of having my Rajji married in a rich family."

"Hmm," Brij replied lost in thought.

Geet was still serving lassi to everyone and had at last moved to Maan. Brij keenly watched the couple as Maan picked the glass offered and Geet stood before him holding the tray. When they moved, it was a second too late. Neither broke the decorum. Nor did they let the moment just pass.

"How about I offer you a solution that kills two birds with one stone?"

Brij turned towards Jugnu with an evil smile cast on his face.

"If you were that thirsty then you should have picked two glasses Maan."

Maan let out a little cough as Dev came and stood next to him. He knew he was in for a nice leg-pulling session by his jijaji now.

"What?! I am not thirsty. What made you say that Jijaji?"

"Bachu, I know very well how thirsty you are. Pretending to drink and looking slyly over the rim of the glass at your fianc is the oldest trick in the book. Don't forget your jijaji was engaged once too," Dev winked at Maan.

Maan chided himself for being too obvious. But how was he to help himself? For the first time she had smiled at him not merely because it was her habit to do so. It felt as if that particular smile was meant just for him. I just wanted to analyze the reason behind it, he tried to convince his own self.

"I was not doing anything of that sort Jijaji," he rolled his eyes at the glee Dev was exhibiting at catching him red-handed.

"Koi na saale sa'ab, lage raho. Keep your eyes glued on your fianc only though" Dev grinned, 'don't even look your mother by mistake. She looks as if she would have your pheras right here as soon as you even glance at her."

Maan groaned and shook his head.

"Should I go serve lassi once more?"

"No."

"Oh-kay…so should I take tea?"

"No."

"Maybe I should go serve snacks."

Sameera stopped rolling the dough and turned to look at Geet.

"Kakku…what has gotten into? Why are you being so over-enthusiastic to serve the guests?"

"Aevin Sammy Di," Geet murmured, "just doing my duty."

"Jee Sammy Di," Meera snorted, "duty towards her future hubby dearest."

Sameera and Meera hi-fived each other seeing Geet go red with embarrassment.

"Nooo…why are you being mean to me!! Why would I do anything for Sarru Singh Khurana?"

"Sarrruuuu," both elder sisters squealed hearing the word.

Emboldened by their laughter and insecure with their teasing Geet egged on, "Haan bilkul. Have you ever seen him smiling? Sarru hi taan hai."

"Chal nautanki," Sameera caught her breath, "that Sarru has you impressed Kakku. Don't try hiding it from us."

"Nonesense!" Geet huffed, "impressed hove meri jutti. Chal Lucky, lets go play outside." She grabbed Lucky, who was blissfully indulging in his samosas, and stormed out of the kitchen.

"Am I sarru?"

"Hmm…hai taan sahi"

"Tara Di!!"

"Bol Veer?"

"Tell me seriously?"

"That's the thing Maan," Nayantara sighed, "you take everything seriously."

Maan frowned at his sister's words and turned his back towards her with arms crossed over his chest.

His father had expressed a desire for a glass of lassi and Maan had immediately set out to fetch it for him. But before he could step into the kitchen his ears caught on to the praises being showered on him by the girl he was engaged to.

Instantly he turned around and stormed right to his sister asking her to get the lassi. Nayantara, who could easily read her brother's mood, quickly cajoled the reason behind his scowl.

"This is the way I am!"

"And there is nothing wrong in it Veer," Nayantara smiled at his adamancy, "and even she didn't mean it in a derogatory manner."

"How can you say so?"

"Because I was once engaged to a stranger too," Nayantara laughed, "ask your Jijaji if you don't believe me."

"Ask me what?"

Dev came and stood next to his wife.

"Ke tussi sarru ho," Nayantara poked a finger in his chest.

Dev grabbed her hand and pulled her close, "Par sirf tuhada hun." [But I am only yours]

Nayanatara tapped his hand away and went to get the glass of lassi that Maan had requested for.

"Kakke," Dev slapped Maan's back, "I think I have fallen in love again."

Already weary of the public display of affection and incensed by the use of his nickname, he shot back, "And I think I have fallen sick."

"Just wait till you get married saale sa'ab."

Maan looked back at his Jijaji and squared his shoulders.

"So you have decided."

"Yes."

"Think about it Maan."

"I do not call it a decision unless I have thought about it thoroughly Jijaji."

"But is your decision right?"

"Come Lucky lets play cricket," Geet dragged Lucky to a corner of the hall.

"Inside the house?"

"Nahi?" Geet gave some thought and then suggested, "Then let's just play 'catch the ball'. You stand there and I will stand here."

"Kakku Di," Lucky looked on incredulously at his sister, "Ma says no playing with ball inside the house."

"Oh! Okay! How about hopscotch? You like that, don't you?"

"You will draw the hopscotch table inside the hall? Sammy Di will kill you. Let's go outside and play." Lucky replied.

"But its so hot outside…and…and Ma might need my help in the function…if we will go outside then how will I come to know if she calls me for something?"

Lucky looked at his sister as if she had gone crazy, "Do you even want to play or not? And why are looking at Maan paahji again and again? Do you want to play with him? Wait I will go call him…"

"Lucky…no…wait…"

Savitri was in her element.

She was basking in the respect that was being bestowed on her by Rano, beaming in the praises showered on her son by Gurvinder and secretly gloating in her victory.

She was getting her son married soon.

Everything was falling in place. Maan came home at the right time. He did not object to her plans even once. And most importantly even her husband seemed to agree with her. Both father and son had not objected to her even once.
Infact Ajaipal had gone a step ahead and said that they would make an important announcement today.

She was definitely getting her son married soon.

Finally I will have my bahu at home with me!

She suddenly saw Geet running after Lucky and heading straight to where Maan stood. As soon as Lucky came and stood next to Maan, Geet grabbed his mouth from behind and started to take Lucky away.

Savitri hurried to where they were standing.

"Rukko Geet," Dev called out laughing at her and Lucky's antics as Maan looked on perplexed at both, "let Lucky say what he wants?"

"Lucky is mad Dev paahji," Geet shook her head, "he keeps saying things he shouldn't."

Dev passed a look at Maan and then at Geet, "Then maybe I should listen to it separately. We wouldn't want others to hear things they shouldn't."

He grinned mischievously and took Lucky away winking at him to stay quiet.
An awkward pause ensued.

"Umm…Sat Sri Akal," Geet wished.

Still sour from the sarru comment Maan rolled his eyes, "You wished me already."

As oblivious as ever, she shrugged and replied in her careless manner, "That was for everyone altogether."

"So this is for me particularly?"

"Hanji."

And then she realized what she was blabbering. Eyes wide she turned to leave when…

"Bitto," Savitri crooned, "how are you? Won't you speak to your Chaiyyiji?"

Geet ducked her head down and stood next to Savitri, "Jee."

Savitri was holding tightly to Maan's arm to avoid his escape as Geet came and stood next to her.

"I just can't wait for the day you shall get married and be the badi bahu of Khurana family," Savitri pinched Geet's chin, "and I am sure you are equally too, right Bitto?"

Both Maan and Geet went red in face, albeit for different reasons. One was consumed with anger, other was inflamed with embarrassment.

"Main?! Main…ohh…"

And in true filmy fashion, destiny's favorite couple was saved.

"Maaan…" Ajaipal bellowed. "Come here son…"

"Kakkuuu…" Nandini called out, "would please come and help me…"

"Married!!"

"Haan Kakku…"

"Me!!"

"Haan Kakku…"

"So soon!!"

"Haan Kakku…oops...Di…"

Geet glared at Lucky and his faux pas, "Oye Lucky de bachche…chal daffa ho…"

As Lucky ran out to save him from his sister's wrath, Geet turned and glared at her giggling sisters.

"This is not fair," she pouted, "you are not supposed to laugh at me!!"

"Kakku," Sameers replied, "why are you being such a baby? Anyone who gets engaged eventually does get married," she ended the jibe in peals of laughter.

"I know that Di!"

Geet sighed and perched atop their dining table. Due to the function the dining table had been shifted to the gallery that led to the back of the house from the main hall. A wooden screen had been put between to separate the function area and the gallery. Also it helped conceal the dining table from the view.

"I know I have to get married. It's just that I am not ready yet. I had always seen myself completing my higher studies first and then later getting married."

"I understand what you mean," Sameera concurred, "after what happened with Anwesha Di, Bauji had resolved that no matter what we would first complete our higher studies and then get married. The idea was so firm in his mind that it got instilled in our hearts too."

"Exactly Di," Geet slid on the table and leaned against the wall, "but maybe things have changed now."

"Koi na Kakku," Meera tried to cheer her sister up, "Ma says that Babaji will always choose the right path for us."

Geet smiled at Meera and nodded with hope shining in her eyes.

What is it with me today?!!

Maan groaned as he made his way towards Dev.

Why am I in the wrong place at the wrong time always?!!

All he had wanted was to escape his mother's clutches and find few moments of respite for himself. A few moments to be alone with his thoughts.

With that intention he had discreetly relegated himself to the back of the hall.
Towards the gallery.

That led to the back of the house.

That was blocked with a wooden screen.

Only to be the innocent eavesdropper again.

He let out a sigh; I didn't need one more thing to add to my headaches.

He spotted his jijaji and strode with determination towards him.

"Jijaji," Maan whispered as he neared Dev, "you had asked me whether my decision was right or not?"

Dev looked squarely back in Maan's eyes and awaited the answer he already anticipated.

"It is!"

"Savitri," Aj
aipal called out to his wife, "come I think we should speak to Mohinder ji now."

As Mohinder looked on quizzically at Ajaipal's sudden announcement, Savitri quickly came and stood next to her husband. From outside she was all springy and bouncy even though she managed to keep a calm and dignified pose outside.
Ajaipal signaled Maan to come over.

"Mohinder ji," Ajaipal began as the rest of the family started gathering around too, "we have a request to make regarding our children's marriage. Right Savitri?"

"Jee bilkul," an excited Savitri replied.

"Then should I announce it or will you?"

"Tussi keh do Sardar ji," Savitri played the dutiful wife to the T, "I just follow your wishes."

"Then in that case I wish that Maan says it himself," Ajaipal replied.

She found this odd but decided to stay quiet. After all her wish was going to come true. Never matter how it unfolds.

Mohinder looked at Maan expectantly, a little worried from inside. A father of a girl cannot be at ease until the final moment till she is actually married. "Bolo Maan puttar," he prompted Maan.

Maan looked at his father for approval and then turned towards Mohinder, "Bauji, there is nothing to worry and nothing to big to announce. Its just that I have been posted to Sikkim and that would push everything two years forward."

"We wanted you to know this Mohinder ji incase you felt the wait would be too long," Ajaipal offered the explanation, "or if you will feel that our son is not worth the wait. Army is a risky profession after all. You would know that clearly. Geet is like a daughter to me. I wouldn't want to create obstacles in her life and dreams."

Mohinder eyes clouded over with tears of relief and happiness, "Please don't say such things Chaudhary jee. My daughter is a soldier's daughter too. She understands the sacrifices that have to be endured. And we would wait with pride for our son to come back home. He is worth every second of the wait."

"See everything went so smoothly," Dev chuckled, "you and your damn headaches!"

"I still don't understand why Darjee had to play such a trick on Chaiyyiji," Maan shook is head, "my decision was already made even before I came here. We could have just told Chaiyyiji last night itself. Not that she had given us a chance to say anything. But we could have. Atleast we could have told her in the car today."

Maan looked at his mother who stood fuming under a tree. They were on their way back to Chandigarh and had stopped over for a break at a dhabba. It would be an understatement to say that Savitri was pissed at her husband and son. She was just on the verge of going ballistic. If it wasn't for the pride that she held on to steadfastly she would have given into her rage there and then at the Handas. Even now she was just a doemant volcano ready to erupt. Maan wasn't fooled by her silence. The fumes gave her away.

"My headache is still persistent jijaji," Maan sighed, "this is exactly what triggered it off. My decision was made. I was only worried about Mohinder bauji's reaction. I do not want to be the cause of their worry. I didn't want to do any wrond by them. And then I overheard Geet and her sisters. My decision was re-affirmed. I also remembered the promise I had made at my rokka. The marriage shall not take place till Geet completes her higher studies. She is not prepared for this right now. In a way, even I am not prepared for this next step in my life. I need time. She needs time. This posting is god-sent. Atleast Bauji will have a legitimate reason to stall the wedding. Even Chaiyyiji won't be able to do anything about it. I only wish we had not tricked her this way. What was Darjee thinking?"

"Your Darjee had his reasons, son," Ajaipal came up from behind.

Maan looked at his father reverentially, "I know you do Darjee. I am not questioning that. But I do wish I knew that reason."

Ajaipal patted Maan's shoulder with affection, "I let your mother have her way more often than I should. Many times I cannot help but wonder that maybe it's my lack of interest that has turned as atrocious as she is. And anyways," Ajaipal smirked, "I am allowed to harass her a little too, aren't I?"

And for the first and probablt only time Maan saw his father wink.

"Wow!" Dev whistled as Ajaipal made his way back to the car, "I never knew my father-in-law could be so devious. I bow to him." He mock-bowed in Ajaipal's direction.

"I think I am dreaming," a stunned Maan spoke up.

"I think you are just making an excuse to think about Geet," Dev replied.

"Where did Geet come from in this conversation?"

"Aevin," Dev shrugged, "I just wanted to get a rise from you."

"Jijaji!!"

"By the way, how was the farewell?"

Maan's mind drifted back to the moment when they were leaving for Chandigarh and were saying their good-byes. She had stood behind her eldest sister and mouthed a soft bye. And now that his jijaji had posed this question, he could only recall William Shenstone's quote, so sweetly she bade me adieu, I thought that she bade me return.

"Oye! Kithe kho gaya?" Dev snapped his fingers. "Tell me what happened?"

"Nothing Jijaji," Maan rolled his eyes, "it was as it should be."

**********************************************************************

*Lassi – a drink made of yoghurt either salted or sweet. A favorite of the Punjabis. 

Important note peeps! Please add the Id below for receiving PMs for my stories. This would help me send PMs through someone else since I would often not be able to do so. Plz see that all of you who wish to receive PMs from me add this Id. 

Since I had posted this the last time too...this chapter onwards only so and so people will get PMs who have added the ID below. 

Edited by jazzerette - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

jazerettePMs thumbnail
Networker 1 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
IMPORTANT NOTE:

Please add this user ID for PMs😊
Edited by jazerettePMs - 11 years ago

This update was such a treat. I lost count of how many times I grinned. It seems as if a permanent grin is pasted on my face. I can't even get myself to comment. This is like you know sleeping peacefully on a cool morning, when you don't want to wake up at all and just want to sleep all day. If the analogy is silly, forgive me but for now I am in dream land. Another update added in my favorite list.

Pretending to drink and looking slyly over the rim of the glass at your fianc is the oldest trick in the book.

What! I mean W.H.A.T!

Thud.

I am dead.

This was the starting point of the surprises thrown my way. Just the starting.

Then came Geet asking for serving, and then The curious case of calling Sarru.

Oh, how could I forget Dev-Nayanatara's love lessons? I adore Dev and Nayanatara a lot.

And surely, at the end of their PDA, Maan's expression was expected.

And then Lucky and Geet's  scene. I almost fell off my chair when Lucky said he would go and tell Maan that she wants to play with him. Lucky is damned adorable. I tell ya. Then, came my favorite scene.

"Umm…Sat Sri Akal," Geet wished.

Still sour from the sarru comment Maan rolled his eyes, "You wished me already."

As oblivious as ever, she shrugged and replied in her careless manner, "That was for everyone altogether."

"So this is for me particularly?"

"Hanji."

Someone pinch me😆

Waise, I like Savitri ji in this fic. She intrigues me. And I love it when she tries to play cupid. Aww.

Then, came the best part in the whole update.

"Married!!"

"Haan Kakku…"

"Me!!"

"Haan Kakku…"

"So soon!!"

"Haan Kakku…oops...Di…"

LMAO! Today seemed to be my day. I was laughing like a maniac. I would have pulled Lucky's  cheeks if I were there.

He is worth every second of the wait.

So damn true. Ah, the three men: Ajaipal ji, Mohinder ji and Maan ji. I love them all. And I smiled again when Ajaipal ji winked at Maan. God save everyone from Savitri ji's anger now.

Maan's mind drifted back to the moment when they were leaving for Chandigarh and were saying their good-byes. She had stood behind her eldest sister and mouthed a soft bye. And now that his jijaji had posed this question, he could only recall William Shenstone's quote, so sweetly she bade me adieu, I thought that she bade me return.

Aaye. Haaye. I am in my dream land again. La la la la laaa

Edited by Cloud9. - 11 years ago
This content was originally posted by: jazzerette

Wasn't the amritsar wali Maasi in the show named as Gurvinder? 

Anyways ...planning to change the name...next when the masi makes an appearance the name shall be changed. 

Na na na na na. Why would you change? Let it be. I do lot of bakwaas, no need to take it seriously. As far as her name, I don't know. I always herad her referred to as "Beeji" and Gurvinder was Channi's something. I don't know what he is to Channi, I just know he is related to her somehow.
jazzerette thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 4
This content was originally posted by: Cloud9.

Na na na na na. Why would you change? Let it be. I do lot of bakwaas, no need to take it seriously. As far as her name, I don't know. I always herad her referred to as "Beeji" and Gurvinder was Channi's something. I don't know what he is to Channi, I just know he is related to her somehow.

It was on my mind already...not coz of your post. I only used Gurvinder coz I couldn't think of something else. 
JeevanaP thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail
After a long wait...update is here...
Just loved it...
mechantefille thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

I am worried. The two years gap seems to pose an opportunity for Brij n the other moron. They could create problems now.

On the other hand - two years is a lot of time to for Geet to mature into a woman - the higher studies will be helpful no doubt.
Curiouser and curiouser!

Missed u Jaz.
Edited by mechantefille - 11 years ago
t_areeb thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
so they have two years now 

like the way maan would always got to know about the sisterly discussions
Diva7 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
i really lyk ur writing style
luvd  d update
evrything ws there in d update... 
brij n jugnu's evil eyes
maaneet's sweetness n their longing fr each other😳
dev's teasing
chai ji's anger...well its valid😆
again two year extension, wat will happen
eagerly waiting fr nxt
thnx fr pm😊 
ammu5 thumbnail
lovely update.  2 years wait for us too. hope brij n jugnu dont create problems for maaneet n family.