Views

Users

Frequent Posters

mayyo thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 6 years ago

Originally posted by: Soapoperasrfun

Just loved it Mari.. It was perfect!

Maan sure knows how to make someone's first day at work most memorable..It was mean, it was fun, it was entertaining and it was also sweet!

Maan is such an enigma... love him. And even after knowing him for so many years, Geet gets frazzled by him so easily... it is so cute, it is so endearing... 

Thank you! So glad you enjoyed it.

And would you like Maan to remain an enigma or just have his thoughts put in the open?
mayyo thumbnail

Originally posted by: its_me

OMG...

Awesome... Fantabulous... Mind blowing...

None of us would have thought that such a surprise will be waiting for us ...

It was too good...

Each detail was so beautifully described...

And if the first line showed the sparks between them... Then the last line was icing on the cake...

Thanks for updating... Continue soon...

Thank you so much! It's so pleasing to know you enjoyed it.
mayyo thumbnail

Originally posted by: impoojaverma

Part-47

It's the new maan all over the updateπŸ˜†. 
A brilliant surprise to geet.
But this line stole the show, 
"Who doesn't like just a little bit of fun?"πŸ˜‰πŸ˜†

Maan is new in every chapter, if I dare say. Watch out to what comes next!
mayyo thumbnail

Originally posted by: CRAZYCUTEE

SUPERB UPDATE 

WOW MAAN HAS DESING OFFICE FOR  GEET
AND I LIKE GEET ATTITUDE

Thank you!
mayyo thumbnail

Originally posted by: COLOGY

Hey Mayyo!
I'm sorry for dropping very late.. its just that I'm reading this FF and its prequel since long but with long breaks, I haven't commented yet for too many reasons.. Please accept my apology.

If I must say, welcome to the story, although welcome is not quite appropriate but still...

Pretty much i felt,  i was reading something i have seen in my college life. A girl who is morally correct yet she is not Right for others because we cannot accept a personality who is out of our expectation. A good guy turned angry dude after love failure! Our mentality is always the same..blame the girl for being ignorant and Sympathize with the Guy for getting betrayed. 

Exactly. That's how the society works, doesn't it? Blame the girl for everything that goes wrong.

I don't know about others but i just felt very emotional attached reading the prequel because i had seen similar exp with one of my college friend who was accused for being perfect, for being extremely beautiful, for ignoring every suggestive friendship from guys where people would just assume she was a just a bimbo for talking to them even after knowing their intentions. But in reality she just wanted to have a normal college life with friends, have good time and come out with good grade to make her parents feel proud. 

Don't mind if I say I'm glad you could connect emotionally to the story.

I liked the way story unfolded after each chapter though it was frustrating many a times πŸ˜† But reading wired heart makes you feel so much for this story..it has evolved to great heights in terms of story telling. Everytime i read a chapter of wired heart, I so wish it turns out to be a typical MG fiction because Maan feels so much like serial wala (read sexily angry) and we expect passion ..don't you think its natural?😳

I've been reading IOYSM lately and I have to admit that I can second you on the evolution, even if hesitatingly. I can't ever be sure if it's fine right. Anyway, Maan's character is obviously taken from the serial, or at least some parts of it so there's definitely going to be passion.

But BUT Mayyo.. please write the way you have thought of it.. Your story stand out because it's not like any other MG fiction!!

Loads of Love for this story <3

Thanks for sharing

N

P.S: yet to go back and like individual chapter... I have logged in after 2 years almost. 

Thank you so much for taking out time for leaving such kind words. They're always appreciated.

mayyo thumbnail

Originally posted by: SeAngel76

I am sorry to hear of your loss.  I have followed your story over the years and have enjoyed it immensely.  Including the prequel to it!  You are exceptionally talented and driven.  So I am sure even in your loss, you will be able to deal with any issues or hurdles with courage and dignity.  I hope you receive all the needed strength from a Higher power, your support system and most of all yourself.  Also remember, that your father will always live in your thoughts, your actions, your feelings and most of all your heart.  And he will always watch over you looking down at you and being proud of all that you will achieve.

I also wanted to take this opportunity to suggest (and you definitely don't need to take it) but please consider posting your story on WattPad.  There are many opportunities to be noticed and be published.  Along with interacting with other prolific and wonderful authors like yourself.  I believe that your work is of that caliber.  I hope that I will get to see you on there as well.  

Take care of yourself and I hope all is we with you and your family in this time of sadness.  

Thank you so much for coming out and showering me with your kind words. I wish I could have the courage and dignity to deal with this irreparable loss, as you believe I have.

As for your suggestion about Wattpad, I've been suggested that earlier to but I wasn't sure. Thank you for believing my writing deserves recognition. I will surely consider your advice. :)
mayyo thumbnail
Thank you for all your condolences and kind words.
All comments have been replied to in the previous pages. Please check them out.

48. Evened Out

"Hello?" I spoke as soon as the call was answered.

"Well, hello there, stranger!" The familiar sunny voice spoke.

I smiled warmly. "Estranged in just two days?"

"Of course.".He said. "A friend certainly doesn't forget to brief their friend about their first day in office."

I laughed. "Vyan, stop being the drama queen!"

"Never." He promised in a cheerful voice. "So how are you? How was your first day? Did they treat you well? Do you already have new projects on your shoulders?"

"Wait, wait, wait.".I interrupted his tirade with a laugh. "You mind giving me the time to answer all those questions you're showering on me?"

"Hmph!" He grunted but then his tone changed and turned to a soft, longing voice. "I miss you, Geet! Our office is no fun to sit in without you."

His honest confession tugged at my heart. "I miss you and the office too, Vyan! You have no idea how much I missed it yesterday."

"Let's meet up then." He suggested brightly. "Are you free? Let's go have some breakfast together."

"Actually," I began. "I called you because I needed your help."

"I'm all ears." He responded, abruptly serious.

I explained to him my new project and my task of hiring designers to build a team. I wanted him to come and help a little in the interviews I was about to conduct today.

"Are you busy today?" I asked apprehensively.

"Not at all. In fact, I'm pretty much free all day." He replied. "I finished Kittu's project yesterday and I am not going to start working on the next project before tomorrow."

"Will you come, then?"

"Is that even a question to ask?" It was a rhetoric question, I knew so I remained silent. "I will always be there when you need me."

His promise made me smile warmly. What had I done to deserve a friend like Vyan?

"Perfect then." I spoke joyfully. "I'm already in my office. You come over around 9.30. I'll go get the budget details until then."

As the call ended, I took a deep breath and got up. It was exactly 9 o'clock and I was there, in my new office, all alone in the building. I had come in half an hour ago and tried to prioritize what tasks I had. Two tasks had to be carried out side by side. One, decorating the model room and two, hiring designers. I could well decorate the room all by myself but I needed help in hiring, and Vyan was the first and only person I could think of. Since that was taken care of, I headed to the main building for another thing I needed to sort. I just hoped Maan was in.

The walk to the main building was easier today because I had made a more sensible choice when picking out shoes. I was wearing pumps with a small block heel. Soon, I was up on the third floor, in front of Pinky, asking for Maan.

"He is here." She informed. "I'll just ask him if you can go in."

I waited while she picked up her intercom and told my name to Maan, who in turn, must have told her to send me in, which was why she gave me the green signal and I walked towards his office.

The blinds were closed, as usual. Knocking on the door, I entered when he granted permission. He had probably just come to office because he was in the process of settling down. He was standing at one side of his desk. I had never seen him carry a brief case but he had one in his hand which he put on his desk and walked towards the back wall cabinet to take out a file from it before he came to sit in his chair. In this time, I did a sneaky once-over of him. He was wearing a brown pant and vest ensemble today with a rich maroon shirt and a matching tie.

Without a word, he signaled me to the chair in front of him while fiddling with the contents of a drawer. I quietly went and sat there. It was a moment before I heard the drawer slam shut and I raised my eyes to his face. He was looking straight at me with a quizzical gaze.

For a moment too long, all I could do was stare into his eyes and think how the maroon shirt was bringing out the rich chocolate brown of his eyes.

He cleared his throat, making me snap out of the moment. I could feel heat rising up my cheeks at being caught ogling at him. Thankfully, he did not say anything about it.

"So," he began. "how can I help you?"

His openness almost surprised me but I hid it well by immediately getting down to business.

"The candidates will be coming in for interviews in a while." I stated, as if he wasn't the one who had told me yesterday about the interviews set up for today.

He nodded. "So, you want me to help you with that?"

"No, no." I added hastily. "That will be taken care of."

He nodded again. He was all somber and it felt a little weird talking to a Maan who wasn't taunting or teasing. Maybe his mood was a result of the early morning lull.

"I'm also going to start working on my project soon enough."

His eyebrows raised just a tiny bit. "And...?" He was beginning to lose patience, I could tell.

"And I don't have the slightest idea of any kind of finances for K Designs."

A strange look crossed his face and he questioned, almost angrily, "Miss Handa, are you doubting the financial capabilities of Khurana Constructions?"

I was taken aback by his reaction and immediately set to put it right. "I didn't say that." I said softly.

The reaction was as quick as it was seconds ago. His face cleared and he relaxed against the back of his seat. "Oh." It was such a low exclamation that I might have missed it if there had been any other sounds in the room.

"Well, our aim is quality." He spoke louder and was at once the same professional Maan Khurana that I was getting used to seeing in the office. "The quantity, or for that matter, the prices don't matter."

"But I need to have a guideline, at least." I protested, unsatisfied with his response.

"Yes, of course. I expect that you would at least have the sense of differentiating between reasonably expensive and overpriced." His lip curved in a half-smile as he interlocked his fingers.

My jaw clenched. So much for missing the teasing and taunting Maan.

After a moment of me staring him down and him looking at me like he was enjoying it, he spoke in a voice which matched his expression.

"Well, I was waiting for you to come to me for this. So, here." Sliding the same file he had taken out of the back cabinet and had put on the table in front of him, he let it rest in front of me now. I looked at the box file and then back at him in askance. He read the question on my face. "This is the complete guideline you might need to manage everything. Including finances."

I opened the file to have a look and sure enough, the matter of the printed pages was of interest. I raised my eyes to him skeptically.

"If you already had this ready, why didn't you give this earlier?" In response, he gave a small secretive smile before he said anything.

"You passed." His declaration perplexed me.

"I'm sorry, what?"

"You passed." He repeated.

The frown on my forehead smoothed immediately as I understood. "Oh. So this was a test for me? To check how long it takes to figure out things necessary to be the head?"

He grinned. "Smart."

"Thank you." I replied with an air of arrogance. "You're never going to see me fail in any of the tests you throw my way."

His grin turned into a smirk. "Actually, you know what? Studies have revealed that people who think highly of themselves and are overconfident tend to falter more than average."

My ears turned red. It was an insult I couldn't keep mum at. My scowl became pronounced but then a comeback occurred to me and I eased up instantly.

"Very well, Mr. Khurana." I gave a taut smile as I got up to leave. "I like the fact that you've begun research on how to better yourself."

Oh, the look on his face! It was priceless. Taking advantage of his flabbergasted silence, and gaining comfort from his reaction to my taunt, I thanked him, turned and left the office, suppressing my laughter as I went back.

As soon as I was out of the building, I let myself laugh lightly. It would be too early to say I was enjoying working here but it felt good to have stunned my high and mighty boss.

"Hello?" I heard from behind me and whirled to see Vyan taking quick steps to reach me. He had probably just reached. A wide smile lit up my face seeing him. "Mind sharing the joke?"

I chuckled again before shaking my head. "It's nothing. You're on time today." I hoped he wouldn't notice my intention of changing the topic.

"Haah!" He snorted. "I'm not always a late comer." We fell into step beside each other as I led the way towards my office. "It was a good effort on trying to divert the topic, though."

My cheeks flamed even as I laughed shakily.

"But that's okay. I do want to know why you're heading towards the back instead of the building." His curiosity peaked.

I smiled in delight as I opened the back door and heard him let out a low whistle.

"Not bad, huh!" I grinned as we walked down the path. "I have to admit. I had really thought Khurana would give you a space in the main building. Had no idea he is fond of piling up work for himself."

I cocked an eyebrow at him and he shrugged. "Well then, wait till you see the inside."

As expected, Vyan was all praises for the interiors of the building. He loved the reception area, the main hall pleased him a lot and my office was the best of all. He was awed by the glass wall and immediately walked to stand by it, gazing out at the view.

"It's a beautiful view, isn't it?".I put the file on my desk and walked to stand beside him, completely agreeing with him. "I hope he won't give you a tough time about me coming here."

I frowned in confusion. "Who?"

"Khurana. He's watching us from a window in that building."

Vyan had said it without letting his eyes or his body move but my gaze immediately skipped towards the third floor and sure enough, Maan was standing at a window which I assumed to be in his office, one hand at his ear, probably talking on the phone, staring down at us. His eyes met mine and held them. There was something in his gaze that I could not look away. He did not seem upset, nor was he angry, but whatever it was, it arrested my mind, body and soul, and I stared at him until he closed the blinds with a sudden move. The connection broke and I shut my eyes, relieved to have been released.

"So when are the candidates due?" Vyan's voice came from behind me so I turned to look at him. I had no idea when he moved from the window to sit on the chair in front of my desk, sifting through the file I had just brought from Maan.

My gaze travelled towards the wall clock. "10.30 onwards." I still had half an hour to prepare and brief him, I thought as I went and sat in my chair.

"I see." He nodded. If he had any idea about the gaze-lock I had just had with Maan, he did not let it show and I was glad for it. "Why don't you tell me what exactly you're looking for?" And so began a detailed conversation about the requirements and the expectations Khurana Constructions had from K Designs and the kind of designers I would require for such work. He actively participated in giving his suggestions clearing the picture up for me. By the time the first candidate came in, we were both prepared.

A total of fifteen candidates came and we interviewed them without pause, even during the lunch break, scoring them each on the list we had made earlier.

"Thank you so much." I said to the young girl sitting across the table. "We will get back to you and let you know our decision."

With a smile, she left the room and my partner sighed heavily. I turned to see Vyan stretch a little. The last candidate had gone and we were really tired.

"Do you like any of them?" I asked him as I shut the file in front of me. Not getting any response from him, I raised my head to see him scowling at me. "What?" I questioned, almost defensively.

"Geet Handa. I think I have made it clear on numerous occasions. I do not like your workaholic nature." His complaining pout was so cute it made me laugh.

"I see you're hungry." I chuckled again. I knew Vyan well enough by now to know what reaction came from which reasons and his complaining face clearly said he was famished. "Let's go have some lunch."

His face lit up instantly. "Where?"

"In the cafeteria, of course." I shrugged.

"Oh." A flat look came over his face. "Never mind. I'm too hungry to worry about the place." I chortled before we both quickly got up and walked out to the main building.

Since it was past lunchtime, the cafeteria was mainly empty except for a small number of people. Taking fast food for ourselves, we settled on the table and talked about the interviews over lunch. All of a sudden, there was a rush amongst the handful of people present there who were staring at the door in fear. I turned to see my new boss standing in the doorway, arms crossed, a deep scowl of anger etched on his face.

"Get back to work, everybody." The huge hall of the cafeteria, which had fallen dead silent on his arrival, boomed with his angry voice. Seeing him, I realised he was not any of the shades of himself I already knew. He was the angry boss of one of the biggest firms. Vyan sensed the same and gestured me to ask if we should get going too. I calmly shook my head because we had legit reason to stay.

Just as I looked back at Maan, his head whipped towards our table, his anger directed towards us now. I waited with a straight face for him to say something but he stared at me, ignoring Vyan, before he turned and dashed out as agilely as ever.

The incident did not bother me as much as it did Vyan. He wondered if Maan was also angry with his presence but I refuted his fear. Either way, he left after lunch and I made my way back to office.

I hired nine out of the fifteen interviewees, and of course, one receptionist as well. Since the workplace was new to all of them, I had almost no problems for the first two weeks. I had set a goal of readying the model room by the end of the eighth week and I had swung in full form to finish off my task. I did get quite a lot of help from the file Maan had given me, and for putting together such a file along with building a new place and setting it up for someone else to work, I admired Maan secretly.

The first problem with an employee occurred in the beginning of the third week. The young lad, I had discovered, was way too lazy for my liking and was all talk and no work. It seemed to me like he was purposefully delaying the task I had assigned to him, in turn, causing my own set deadline to push up by a few days.

I had tried to handle the situation but it wasn't really producing the favourable result so I thought I could talk to Maan. He was, after all, a great businessman, however grudgingly, I had to admit the fact. For three weeks, I had seen little of him. Just glimpses when he reached office around the same time as I did, or when I usually came back from the cafeteria, and sometimes I caught him looking down from the window towards my office. It made me wonder at times if he had kept the ceiling to floor window in my office deliberately.

I had had extension lines installed so it saved me precious time in moments like these when I needed something from the main building, like lunch or tea. I called up the reception and asked for Maan. Of course, I never addressed him or Ranbir by their first names alone. Pinky told me Maan was in a meeting and she would inform me when he got free so all I could do was wait. It was almost evening so I could see my staff leaving one by one. I decided to go to the model room while I waited for the call.

It was still empty but there was a difference now. I had a vision for it now. I had decided to set up a family room. The room was now painted according to the colour scheme I had chosen for it. The accent wall was now covered in a deep green and gold wallpaper. There was no other adornment except the fireplace I had built on that wall. All the other walls had been painted a very dull gold in contrast with the dark colour of the wallpaper. I raised my eyes to observe the ceiling. The stylish false ceiling had already been fitted and was painted on various levels in green.

I had picked out designs from my own diary for this room. It included a seven seat sofa set with a footrest stool along with specially designed tables and a loveseat. Considering the size of the room, I had also decided to get a study table, a bookrack, a coffee table and an armchair made from the craftsmen I had struck a deal with. All the furniture was well into the process of being built now. The wall hanging and other adornments along with the lights had been decided too. I was just waiting for the furniture to arrive. I had also ordered a rug to be made to complete the look of the room and it was due in two days.

I was almost satisfied that my project was going well and within the time frame I had set for it if wasn't for that troublesome employee, Ted. He was given the charge of ordering the curtains and he had assured me that the task was done when I had inquired. I had discovered just two days ago that he had not ordered the curtains. He was apologetic the first time I asked him. He said he had forgotten to complete his task because he had been upset over something. I gave him another chance and he reassured me the task would be done within an hour. I was almost certain he'd do it this time but then the task hadn't been done until I last checked in the afternoon with the vendor. He had not come in to work today and when I tried to call him, his number was unreachable.

The soft tone of the intercom dissipated the quiet of the building and I rushed to answer it, expecting it to be from Pinky. I was right as she had called to inform that Maan was in his office and waiting for me. I quickly picked up my bag, locked my office for the day and left for the main building.

Like it was in my building, the main building was emptying of all its staff with great speed. On my way, I greeted Pinky before heading straight towards Maan's office. From the open blinds, I peeked into the room and my feet automatically slowed. Maan was on his chair, his head resting against the back and his eyes closed. I took my own time to observe him. His hair, which was always perfectly set were a little loose today. His hand shot up and I saw him run his lean fingers in his hair, eyes still shut. There were bags under his eyes and his lips were pressed together in an unconscious scowl. It felt to me like he was tense about something and I considered not disturbing him today. With my hand fisted, ready to knock at the door, I wavered and just as I thought I would go back, he straightened in his chair and spotted me hovering outside his office. There was no choice but to go in after a slight knock.

"Hi!" I greeted him with a smile. He responded just the same as I sat down. "You okay?" I asked a little hesitatingly.

"Yes, I'm fine. Just a long day." He cleared his throat and in that act, I foresaw what was coming my way. "Did you want to see me to ask if I was okay? That's sweet." There was a gleam in his eyes, even as he smiled a little too sweetly.

I rolled my eyes. Nothing could stop him from teasing, could it?

"No, sorry. I don't have time to waste that way. I wanted to talk about work."

"Why, of course!" He agreed, nodding solemnly. "We couldn't possibly discuss anything else while we're in office." I didn't know what to make of his statement so I just continued to tell him about Ted. I did not feel the need to describe everything in detail but I highlighted his attitude regarding his job.

"I have tried talking to him and he said he'd do his work sooner so I gave him another chance, but nope, no progress on his part."

Maan had heard everything out silently, very gracefully sliding into his boss avatar. He held a finger up. "Another chance when you already discovered he wasn't fit enough for the job?"

"Uhh..." I racked my brain why I had given him a second chance. "He was apologetic and he told me he was upset over something, so I just thought..."

He was already shaking his head. "When you're making decisions regarding work, emotions are your biggest enemy. You just simply can't be sympathetic when it comes to work." His lips twisted into something akin to a smile. "And if you do show sympathy towards anyone, they'll surely take advantage of you."

A few seconds ticked by before I spoke. "I understand that the businessman in you thinks this but I feel, as a human, we can't thrive unless we're compassionate towards those around us. And that includes employees."

"Hmph!" He grunted. "Businessman or not, I think one should be sharp enough to judge the caliber of a person with the first experience." I scowled at him. It was a taunt aimed at me, no doubt.

"I did not come here to ask what you think about the sharpness of a person's mind, Mr. Khurana." I snapped and it seemed to amuse him. "I came to discuss an issue with you and I'd be glad if you have a solution."

"Fire him." He said coolly, leaning against his chair and locking his fingers together.

"I don't want to take that option." I disagreed with a shake of my head. "It's only his first month, after all. And what if being fired from Khurana Constructions becomes the reason for not being able to find a good job again?"

My argument did not perturb him. Instead, his eyes took on the same hint of secrecy and his lips twitched into a small smile again. "People are far more prepared, and their actions a lot more preplanned than you can think, you know." My eyebrows came together at his words. I had a feeling he wasn't just talking about Ted but I just shook it off.

"According to the contract he has signed, I cannot dismiss him before he has completed the training period, which is four weeks -"

Maan cut me off. "Unless they fail to deliver the promised outcome. Miss Handa, it should not come as a surprise to you that the very same contract is used in the whole firm and I know each and every clause by heart."

I was flustered and it showed by the redness spreading on my face. "But since you insist on not firing that person, when he comes in tomorrow, do tell him to come visit me."

I raised an eyebrow. "Wasn't K Designs supposed to be handled separately than Khurana Constructions without any interferences?"

"Yes, but aren't you the one who came to me for help?" He had answered patiently, as if talking to a child but of course I could see the humour in his eyes.

My cheeks flamed up. I had undoubtedly brought it upon myself. Thanking him, I quickly took leave before he could enjoy my embarrassment any more than he already did.

The next day, as promised, I sent him to Maan as soon as Ted came in. He had various excuses for being absent the previous day and for not answering my calls but I sternly dismissed him, informing him that his salary would see the deduction of his uninformed day off. He came back about an hour later, clearly a little shaken. Within an hour of his return, I received a call from the curtain vendors that an order had been placed and it would take approximately twenty days to deliver it. Satisfied with the immediate effect, I sat wondering what Maan had told Ted when the intercom rang.

"I hope the issue has been solved now, Miss Handa." Maan's voice floated from the speaker phone.

"Yes." I replied as I worked on the file. "I just received the confirmation call about order placement."

"Well, that's really good." He said approvingly.

"Thank you!" My voice did sound as grateful to him as I felt. "May I know what you said to him that worked?"

"Nothing really out of the way." He replied offhandedly. "I'm sure you will understand it better than anyone else that some people are easy to manipulate when you want things to go your way."

"What do you mean?" I asked dubiously, in response to which he laughed.

"Good luck figuring it out." And then he cut the call and I was left to stare at the intercom. I couldn't stop the feeling I had felt the previous day too, that his words were double-edged. A call from a craftsman distracted me and I did not get time to mull over it again.

My first month at Khurana Constructions had passed quite quickly minus the first day. Since I hadn't gotten time for any kind of recreation, when Anaya insisted I give her a treat when I got my first salary, I agreed. I invited Ayush too so Anaya suggested I could invite Maan as well so I sent him a text a day before the plan. Since I did not get any reply, I did not know whether he planned to join us or not. He did show up at the restaurant, however, at the exact time I had texted him. We sat down on a round table with Maan towards my left and Anaya towards my right as we exchanged pleasantries.

"Why in the world don't you get any time to meet me?!" Complained Anaya as we settled. I cited work as an excuse so she turned to Maan.

"Maan!" She called him and immediately had his attention. "How much work do you give to Geet that she never gets time to meet me?" Maan cocked an eyebrow and gave me a sidelong glance before looking back at Anaya, who did not let him utter a sound in response. "You've stolen my friend!"

Maan clucked his tongue. "Not yet. But I assure you that I will steal her away from you."

I whipped my head towards the left, staring at him with widened eyes, just the way Anaya and Ayush stared at both of us.

"Guys." Ayush cleared his throat and sternly called for our attention. "Is there something we need to know?"

I blushed at the way the husband and wife were ogling at us.

"Nothing at all." Maan spoke at the same time as I did.

"I have no idea what he's talking about."

I saw Anaya's gaze flicker between Maan and me while Ayush stared at Maan with a meaningful look I could easily decipher. I could still feel the heat on my face as Maan spoke again.

"What?!" His irritation was directed towards Ayush and his scrutinizing eyes. "It's nothing, okay?"

"Okay, fine! We get it you don't want to tell us yet." In response to Ayush, Maan only rolled his eyes and picked up the menu card, probably having decided to ignore him.

Only then do the duo relent and we quickly get down to ordering the dinner. However, my mind decided to tread a path of its own even though I was actively involved in all conversations held around the table. Maan's words kept echoing in my head, making me all the more conscious of every movement of his sitting so close to me or every time his eyes found their way to my face. More than once, our hands brushed each other's while having dinner and every time it happened, we both looked up at the same time, only to quickly look away and pull our hands back.

As we ate, we chatted and I couldn't help but notice every time Maan's eyes rested on my face. Twice, when I was busy eating, I caught him staring at me from the corner of his eyes, and when he realised he was caught, he shifted in his place so he was facing Ayush. When I laughed at a joke Anaya had cracked, my eyes travelled to Maan and he was already gazing at me with a small smile playing on his own lips and his eyes holding a glint in them, both of which were wiped off as soon as our eyes met.

Anaya showed me her kids' pictures on her phone and I was gushing on how cute they were turning out to be, I noticed Maan looking at me with his expression softened into fondness and it sent the butterflies in my tummy into a frenzy until Anaya distracted me with her chatter.

Mid-dinner, Maan stretched a little and his leg brushed mine under the table, my eyes wandered towards him of their own accord before we both realised and pulled our legs away from each other. Why did he say he will steal me away, my mind asked and I had no answer, even as my heart did a little lurch.

When Anaya excused herself to use the restroom and Ayush engaged Maan in a conversation, I wondered again what he had in his mind which made him say that. Did he actually have anything in his mind?

Without invitation, my brain started to add two and two to make five. Did he keep that window in my office in accordance with his plan, if he had any? As I thought, I could feel a red hue spread on my face and I wondered why these things weren't bothering me as they would any other time. Abruptly shaking my head to pull myself out of such thoughts, I realised I had caught the attention of both the guys, so I gave them both a small embarrassed smile before they turned back to their conversation.

Once the dinner was done and I paid, even though the other three had insisted on going Dutch, we all rose to leave the restaurant. Anaya and Ayush walked ahead of us while Maan and I walked side by side just a few steps behind them. Like a couple, my heart whispered and I shirked it off.

In order to distract myself, I decided to make small talk with him. 

"It's funny, isn't it, how we end up working together after all this time." He just looked at me silently before staring straight ahead. "Fate has its ways, I suppose."

"Fate is nothing." He responded, rather fiercely. "It's up to us to go ahead and grab what we want. We make fate."

My feet slowed as I processed his words. Weird, I thought.

Another month passed and my model room was almost completed. I felt excited to have completed the entire project in my due time, even though I had expected it to be delayed. The makers of the curtains had accepted my request of giving my order the top priority and deliver it as an urgent order so the few days that could have been delayed because of Ted were still saved just in time.

The day the final touches were done in the room, I celebrated with the whole team, giving them their due credit for the efforts they did. In the afternoon, I called up Maan's intercom and eagerly told him of the completion of the project and invited him to see it.

In the past one month, I had had almost no contact with Maan. He had spent more time in ARK during the last month since, according to rumours, there were some issues with the employees. I had, however, often found myself thinking of him and my heart often softened at his mention although I scolded myself right away.

I was very keen to show off my hard work to Maan and to know what he thought of it so I waited with controlled zeal for the time when he would come. He came when the day had ended and all my employees had left. Excitedly, I led him towards the room, boasting of how much effort my team and I had put in and how I managed to complete it in so little time, trying to give details of everything as I showed him around the room but his gaze swept around almost arrogantly.

"Well, thank me." His words, paired with the haughtiness in his eyes fuddled me. "If not for me, you wouldn't have been able to achieve anything at all." It stung badly.

"Excuse me?"

"You know, Maan Singh Khurana can get anyone to do anything the way he wants them to do it, many a times, without them really knowing they're being led." He smiled that arrogant smile, his eyes conveying more than just his words before he turned on his heels and agilely walked out of the room. My mind swirled in thoughts and suddenly, it felt like adrenaline pumping through my veins as everything began to clear up and make sense. His double-edged words from different occasions came back, albeit, in a different light.

"When you're making decisions regarding work, emotions are your biggest enemy. You just simply can't be sympathetic when it comes to work. And if you do show sympathy towards anyone, they'll surely take advantage of you."

"People are far more prepared, and their actions a lot more preplanned than you can think, you know."

"I'm sure you will understand it better than anyone else that some people are easy to manipulate when you want things to go your way."

"Fate is nothing. It's up to us to go ahead and grab what we want. We make fate."

"Maan Singh Khurana can get anyone to do anything the way he wants them to do it, many a times, without them really knowing they're being led."

I put all his words together and it suddenly dawns on me that I'd been manipulated by him into taking this job. Along with the epiphany came a memory of him so upset in that coffee shop. That was when I had decided to work with him. Was it all a farce to manipulate me into Khurana Constructions? True, I couldn't see him upset, but did that give him the right to play with my feelings? My brain pulled out a memory almost seven years old. He had been upset over the so-called date being postponed and it had pinched me even then. It had always been like this with me, I could never see him upset and he took advantage of it.

Hurt inevitably followed realisation. It hurt to know I'd been played with, and that too, by Maan. How dare he do this?! Anger bubbled up inside me. I wasn't going to show him how much it had hurt me but I wasn't going to spare him either. My feet propelled forward in search of him and exiting the building, I saw him just about to leave from the back door when I called out to him. My voice betrayed no emotion and I took confident strides towards him until I stood right in front of him. He knew I had figured everything out as he gazed at me. He was perfectly at ease, unashamed of his actions. The urge to get back at him took over as I crossed my arms, my face set in stone.

"Maan Singh Khurana can get anyone to do anything he wants, huh?" I quoted him bitingly. "If Maan Khurana could get anyone to do anything for him, he'd have gotten the girl seven years ago. Did he?" The dumbfounded look on his face gave me a strange sense of satisfaction. "Oops!" I added.

He sure wasn't expecting me to get back at him by bringing up something like this and I was content that it bothered him. A vein ticked in his forehead as he clenched his jaw and fisted his hands on his sides, his eyes wide, trying to stare me down.

"Well then," he spoke through clenched teeth. "We're even."

Edited by mayyo - 6 years ago
dqno1 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Haiye haiye mirchi! πŸ˜†

He expected her to ask him for help and instead she called Vyan πŸ˜†

Jal gaye sahab πŸ˜†

mujhe boht hassi aayi ye padh ke

Geet is learning management thru' him. Sahi kaha Maan ne πŸ‘πŸΌ

That wall of glass had me grinning too. Haiye mera TMJ ❀️

The ace was at the end πŸ˜ƒ

kya garji hai sherni, loved it πŸ₯³

sixer!!!!

So now we are even.

I suppose it is neccessary for a man to do that

Hard for him to be a permanent underdog with his persona

this and the fact that she caught him and confronted him shows their growth from being cold and unseeing of each other

the love story has begun

I am already waiting again Mari

Thanks for updatingEdited by dqno1 - 6 years ago
dqno1 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: mayyo

@Bold: I completely agree here. You just cannot put love and passion and synonymous because they're not completely synonyms. Love can also be soft, silent, supportive...

Thanks so much for being here! πŸ€—

pleasure is mineπŸ˜ƒ
swapna.p thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Nice update..
Waiting for next update..