Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

aamir18 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 7 years ago
Genius. Brilliant writing and a wonderful story. 
I hope you continue. 
Greyasr thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Omg omg omg the way u have written is literally heArt breaking ng just came across this lovely lovely story hoping there are all the parts or its going to be completed too lovely and simply no words to describe
Please please pm me
Greyasr thumbnail
Wow wow wow simply splendid
Greyasr thumbnail
Simply splendid please please,come back and finish this story or atleast leave a note its so heart wrenching to see khushi and Arnav 
SharuAG thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Hi dear,

Where are you?
srmirji thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Please can you give us an update...
Hope all is well and I'm not asking for too much

Sri
RockBarbie thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 8

Chapter 09: When you get what you need with a price attached

"What's he doing here?" Payal whispers gesturing at Arnav. "I thought he would drop you back and come back a week later?"

Khushi allows a beat of silence and a private smile before she replies. "He was tired and I offered him space and food."

Payal raises an eyebrow smelling Khushi's bullshit. "Space and food? So what, he is a cat now?" Khushi's eyes widen and the imagery in her head make her snort.

"He is harmless," Khushi brushes off easily. Payal picks on Khushi's non-response and response and lets it be.

"Is he someone you want around?" Payal pursues her thought further. Khushi startles at that but recovers quickly.

"I am not sure." Khushi sighs and walks back into the store where Arnav is happily dozing in front of his laptop next to Khushi's work station.

Payal stops her questioning for the time being and a mutters a soft "be careful" before taking a detour to her office.

Khushi trips on an errant box on her way to her workstation, rattling the table in her wake. Arnav jolts awake and looks dazed for few moments.  

"How long have I been out?" He asks stretching his back. He looks mildly rested and the storm in his eyes has abated a little.

"Just under an hour." Khushi points to multitude of clocks around her and laughs at the silliness. Arnav chuckles and shakes his head. "Do you want something?"

Arnav shakes his head. "I should be going soon." He starts packing his laptop and collecting stray food wrappers. Khushi watches him quietly as he cleans after himself and dusts his pants. The only evidence of their outing is in the thin layer of mud caked on the side of his shoes and a bright green children's wrist watch she gave him as a present.

"This is the best wrist watch ever." He grins at hers strapping it right below his right wrist. She shrugs and doesn't comment on the stopped clock on his left wrist.

"Fifty years later, this will be collectors dream and you can become richer then." Payal comments from behind them.

"And I will wave all my money in your face Ms. Gupta." Arnav replies cheerily.

Payal watches him with narrowed eyes. "Are you saying you will be around fifty years from now?"

Arnav's smile falters and he watches the two sisters who are looking at him expectantly. "I would if you would, I could if you could."

A quiet hum settles around them. "Do you always talk in circles, Mr. Raizada?" Payal huffs. Khushi's eyes dance with mirth and a jolt of unbridled joy runs through him when she catches his reference.

"I am a very complex man, Ms. Gupta." Arnav poses like an elite business man that he is. Payal sniggers at his exaggerated pose.

"And so modest." She comments airily.

Arnav leaves the store with a smile on his face. The dusty road and hot air hits him hard and knocks his pace. The world of clocks and watches had given him a sanctuary from the savage land he was stepping on. It would be back to being hyperaware of his existence and be weary of the people around him.

Instead of going back to work, he goes straight home and crashes on his bed. It should have been a day without any depressing thoughts clouding him. Khushi was a reprieve that was essential but it wasn't a solution. He had never ventured outside the small circle of friends he had. As an adult making new friends was already difficult and being who he was, people who approached him had their own angle, an agenda to fulfill.

Khushi was different. For now, that's all he knew and that's all the emotions he could spare.

-----------------------------------------------

"What is he hiding?" Payal asks the moment Arnav steps out of the store.

Khushi shakes her head. "It's not my secret to tell. Just family stuff." She adds hastily when she sees Payal's face clouding with mild anger.

"Alright. There is something else we need to talk about." Payal hinges. Khushi's heart sinks at the look on her sister's face.

"He contacted you?" Khushi grumbles already knowing the answer.

"Not exactly," Payal replies and motions Khushi to come to her office. Once there she shuffles papers around her desk to unearth a brightly colored wedding invitation.

"What's this?" Khushi asks opening the envelope. The names printed on the invitation surprises her. "f**k."

"Yep! Teddy is getting married to his colleague from work. Did you know her?" Payal asks.

Khushi is unresponsive. She lets out a staggered breath and collapses on the sofa. "I am not sure if I have to be worried about this woman or should rejoice in the fact that he has finally moved on."

Payal is skeptical. "He was single minded in his obsession with you Khushi. You have travelled through hell and back during your marriage with that piece of shit." Though Payal's anger is justified, Khushi finds it unwarranted.

"It's been six years since you got out of the cage Teddy built for you. Don't let your effort go waste Khushi. Please. Not now." Payal sees the shivering form of her sister and collapses next to her. "Look," she says pulling Khushi to her side in a hug, "I wanted to show you this because I don't want you to be in the dark. Knowing Teddy, he will drop by in next couple of days to brag. And he will probably bring his fianc with him."

There isn't much to be said for the rest of the evening. Khushi is upset and Payal understands. Payal is glad that Khushi is holding herself much stronger than years before.

"Can we close the shop?" Khushi asks in a small voice.

Payal hugs her sister closer and for the thousandth time, curses Teddy several times in her head again.

"Of course Khushi. Why don't you go up? I will order in some pizza today, alright?"

"Too expensive," Khushi replies.

"We will put it on Arnav's bill," Payal jokes weakly and revels when Khushi's lips curl.

She will take it as a victory.

-----------------------------------------------

Thirteen years ago, April

"I am in love with Shyam," Anjali snuggled next to Lavanya and giggled. Lavanya glances at Arnav who is watching Anjali. "I told dad that I am going to marry him soon."

"I am happy for you," Lavanya says, happy for her best friend.

"I am so happy La!" Anjali got up in a rush and twirled, radiating said happiness. Arnav looked back at the thick opened file on his lap. He had been around Anjali for far too long to ignore her excited shrieks and loud cries of privileged despair.

"What did your dad say?" Lavanya asked.

Anjali visibly deflated. "He didn't look happy or sad. He was worried. As usual." She whirled around and rounded Arnav. "What's going on Chotey? Is something wrong with the company?"

Arnav looked up from his file and waited for a moment. "Why don't you ask Shyam?" Arnav baited her.

Anjali narrowed her eyes. "If you know something then tell me Chotey. And it's not as if I haven't asked Shyam. I asked and he told me that you are having lot of meetings that are creating headaches for dad and Vimal uncle."

Lavanya looked at Arnav sharply and shook her head in warning as if meaning to say - Don't engage'. She could feel Arnav getting ready for yet another argument with Anjali that became more and more often as Arnav's participation in the company increased and he rose up the chain.

"I will be in my room." Arnav stood up and ignored Anjali's abrasiveness. "Come see me before you leave La," he added for good measure.

Anjali wasn't done with him. "What are you doing to the company Arnav? Are you the reason why Vimal uncle and dad are always worried? Did you something?"

Arnav whirled around and glared at his sister. "You really should ask your precious Shyam Manohar Jha for reasons dear sister. I am sure he will tell you."

"Oh, he told me alright." Anjali huffed in mild anger.

Lavanya and Arnav exchanged glances. "What did he tell you Anjali?" Arnav asked.

Anjali glared at Arnav. "Shyam told me that you are unnecessarily interfering with their work and for that they may lose the huge defense contract. If that happens Vimal uncle is going to lose a lot of money and he will lose his clients. Shyam also told me that you aren't respecting him either, when it comes to work."

Arnav shrugs. "Shyam knows jack shit about work. He is there because he is son of Vimal Jha. He is there because he has no other place to be."

It was a little mean but it wasn't a lie. Shyam had the smarts to get things done but lacked the zeal or innovativeness that their domain demanded. He failed in making connections, networking and keeping his word to his clients. It had taken Vimal several weeks to fix the mess that Shyam had created in his first solo endeavor. After that the was kept in sidelines but was involved with the core business group of the company.

Arnav never got along with Shyam. Anjali started hanging around Shyam when Arnav became best friends with Aman and Lavanya.

Anjali looked at him pitifully. "That's what you think Arnav. You have some grand notions of people in your head and expect people to fall in that role. World isn't built that way. World is far more complex than what you think it is."

"I have no idea what you are talking about Anjali." Arnav said blankly.

Anjali smiled at him without much humor in it. "Oh, I think you do Arnav. You know exactly what I am talking about and this how you always react when someone latches on to your thought process."

Arnav smirked condescendingly. "You have no f**king clue what's going on around you Anjali. If you get your head out of nonsense that you surround yourself with, you will probably have a clue as to the shit that is coming down."

"What makes you so sure I don't know?" Anjali challenged.

Arnav was dumbfounded. Recovering, he added abrasively, "You are a criminal then."

Anjali took the vase adorned with fresh bouquet and threw in Arnav's direction. When Arnav didn't flinch as the vase whipped past his ear by few centimeters, Anjali lost her temper. "Let me tell you this Arnav. You f**k this up, I will destroy your life."

Arnav nodded. His calmness unnerved both Anjali and Lavanya but neither women commented. "When did Shyam became so important that you are ready to sacrifice your own brother for your happiness?" Arnav asked softly.

"Haven't you noticed Arnav? We changed years ago. As we grow up we make our own families. I made mine with Shyam just the same way you made yours with Aman and Lavanya. You haven't been my brother for years." Anjali's voice was cool and collected.

The siblings were more alike than they liked to admit.

"I don't know what you know about the company Anjali. I am not going to stand by and watch people sell their morality for the sake of money. I am going to put an end to it. Dad knows it. Jha knows it. Get it through your f**king skull as well. And while you are at it, tell your boyfriend as well." Arnav spat.

Lavanya moved towards her boyfriend and tugged him towards his room. "That's enough. Let's go." She pulled Arnav and smiled weakly at Anjali. Lavanya realized that day that something precious had broken between Arnav and Anjali, and her relationship with Anjali was never going to be the same.

Edited by RockBarbie - 7 years ago
vgedin thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 5
Knock Knock 
~Edit~ 

1. Anjali is oblivious + self absorbed + for the lack of a better word - dumb
2. Arnav is dangerous in many ways - a streak of recklessness, a great deal of genius, a rigid moral compass - they make a dead combination - for oneness and those around them. Sigh
3. Teddy left - he's done all the damage possible but Khushi is stronger and he will not enjoy the vindictive pleasure of seeing her be worse for having left him. She will be the victor in this story. 

Kthanksbye gotta catch new update :D 
Edited by vgedin - 7 years ago
IMA9167 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Ses like I missed couple of updates
Will catch up quickly
Wilb back with cmnts
coolpd93 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
So still teddy is around khushi.guess he is sick.
k..anjali is quiet indecisive.she needs someone beside her n she chose shyam to keep her sanity in check.blame her family or her parents inability to care for her.
Glad payal is not too nosy.n let khushi live her lyf..
Love d update:)