Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

MaxMayfield thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 10 months ago

Originally posted by: OriginalJuhi_04

According to them, women in 1960s only wore salwar-kameez and sarees and people are only jalebi samosas and lived in villages and chawls. Had hai yaar. How do they think nightclubs and pubs were used in 1950s and 1960s? Also didn't we had 1950s and 1960s movies with men and women dressing in modern Western clothes and dancing to western music?

oh gawd😳…whoever is doing this moral policing..needs to take it easy. Indian elites did look like this and were fairly up to date with western culture..so they need to chill seriously. To quote Zoya..I really don’t want to watch gareebi and glorify India’s poverty on screen..it is a dystopian society..and whatever they are showing in Archies teaser also existed. So they need to chill..and again what is wrong if it is a bit escapist? I’m all for it..!, After long day’s work ..I just want to relax and watch some nice shows with chill romance and cuteness.. bring it on..I miss the era of teen Disney shows and sweet MTV ..V Tv shows..so yeah why not?

OriginalJuhi_04 thumbnail
Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 9

Originally posted by: MaxMayfield

oh gawd😳…whoever is doing this moral policing..needs to take it easy. Indian elites did look like this and were fairly up to date with western culture..so they need to chill seriously. To quote Zoya..I really don’t want to watch gareebi and glorify India’s poverty on screen..it is a dystopian society..and whatever they are showing in Archies teaser also existed. So they need to chill..and again what is wrong if it is a bit escapist? I’m all for it..!, After long day’s work ..I just want to relax and watch some nice shows with chill romance and cuteness.. bring it on..I miss the era of teen Disney shows and sweet MTV ..V Tv shows..so yeah why not?

What exactly means escapist?

Bold: Hundreds of movies and web series are already made on this every year. To ek movie minority Elites pe banaaye to kya problem hai? 

Burgers surely existed in early 1960s like Hot Dogs existed from ages. It's true most of our families came from villages and had no idea of Elites life but does not mean Elite life did not existed then. People in 1950s and 1960s too welcomed Elite based Bollywood movies but today people act like as if they are sanskaari and deshbhakt.  

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Originally posted by: OriginalJuhi_04

What exactly means escapist?

Bold: Hundreds of movies and web series are already made on this every year. To ek movie minority Elites pe banaaye to kya problem hai? 

Burgers surely existed in early 1960s like Hot Dogs existed from ages. It's true most of our families came from villages and had no idea of Elites life but does not mean Elite life did not existed then. People in 1950s and 1960s too welcomed Elite based Bollywood movies but today people act like as if they are sanskaari and deshbhakt.  

The way these characters are dressed raises suspicion 

oh_nakhrewaali thumbnail

My criticism is ispe kharcha kiya, iske jagah MIH, Mirzapur 3 and Jee Le Zara ho bana lete

PangaNaLe thumbnail
Own Your Stories Participant 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

Movie is based on a fictional town and American comics so who cares if it doesn't look Indian. Zoya could've made the adaptation using a more Indian setting and desi feeling. But its her choice. We know what kind of films she makes. Gully Boy was an exception.

Although its also a fact that this movie won't find much audience because they're not going to find this relatable. Indian audience now has access to American movies and shows. This movie is not going to stand out. But its releasing on Netflix so its fine. It just needs to be a well made film.

Reverse racism argument is ridiculous. White or fair skinned people don't face any discrimination in India. They are in fact put on a pedestal. Bollywood is filled with mostly fair skinned lead actors that if we use them as a reference, dark skinned people are a minority and only poor people have that skin tone in India. 

She's talking about diversity but all her cast is white. Even Suhana who has a darker skin tone is looking fair in the trailer. 

Edited by PangaNaLe - 10 months ago

Originally posted by: Maroonporsche

The way these characters are dressed raises suspicion 

To old movies me bhi actors ye sab pehenti the. Since the movie is targetted to minority population of that time people are having hard time into believing it. Zoya clearly told it's on Anglo-Indian community. Julie movie hi dekh lo on how Julie's family dressed. 

atominis thumbnail

Even Ambani and Birla kids do not look as fair in real life as Archies gang.

Hence the criticism of dress and looks.

No one says one has to show poverty or same old lanes of UP and Bihar.

Stop assuming critique of look of actors and their dress means black and white thinking and swinging between extreme poles of rich elites and slums.

See how Yash Chopra showed rich, elite in Trishul, Vijay, Kabhi Kabhi - who went to clubs, partied, went for lunches, golf etc but still looked 'Indian' even if they wore western suits. Even K Jo showed more Indian looking rich elites in K3G. Hrithik, SRK, Rani, Bachchan couple and Bebo looked 'Indian' in it, despite being super rich. HR and Bebo looked Indian even in that college song. SOTY actors also looked 'Indian'.

There is a certain paleness and style of dressing which makes them look wannabe firangs and not even as Indian elites. 

atominis thumbnail

Anglo Indians are not that pale skinned either.

Look at Anglo Indians shown in films like Julie, Bobby, Baaton baaton mein etc and compare to this.

There is a reason why it got criticised. Anglo Indians are not that pale skinned either.

I agree on their dress and English with a certain accent, which they speak. It is the whole overall look which has made people wonder if it is Indian or wannabe firangis.

Zoya often gives distinctly polished look to films and actors. So much so that it is hard to relate to it.

Originally posted by: atominis

Anglo Indians are not that pale skinned either.

Look at Anglo Indians shown in films like Julie, Bobby, Baaton baaton mein etc and compare to this.

There is a reason why it got criticised. Anglo Indians are not that pale skinned either.

I agree on their dress and English with a certain accent, which they speak. It is the whole overall look which has made people wonder if it is Indian or wannabe firangis.

Zoya often gives distinctly polished look to films and actors. So much so that it is hard to relate to it.

https://youtu.be/HODlNNJASL8

See this. 

Anglo-Indians are this much pale. Anglo-Indians kya. See people from Northeast. Aren't they Indians? I had one Anglo-Indian classmate in college who looked Western and had golden hair but spoke Hindi too. At least here none of the characters are blond/blonde. For now, we are only seeing highly filtered posters and trailers. Let the movie release and judge. Agastya and that chashmish guy don't look that white. Suhana may darker in the actual film. 

Bold: It's because we are used to see majority targetted movies with desi looks and background. We have 50 directors making movies for everyone to relate. 1-2 director ne minority/rarity ko target kiya to itna bawaal. 

Edited by OriginalJuhi_04 - 10 months ago

I never relate to Yash Raj college based movies from 1990s till now as no college is this much glamourous. I don't relate to Elite remake Class since no school is this much open. But till now I don't see any problem with Archies.