Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

MaxMayfield thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 10 months ago

Atleast let Archies release and then criticise it? The teasers are cute..it reminds me of Jo Jeeta wohi sikandar and I love those kind of teen dramas and sweet college romance etc..I mean I don’t honestly get the criticism or flak or whatever without having seen any dialogue promo etc..

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Originally posted by: Shaitan-Haiwan

🤣 The irony. Also all are skinny and slim trim. Zoya has no idea what she’s doing. She’s another pseudo-intellectual 

Zoya thinks she’s part of the woman’s movement 

JustWandering thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 8 Thumbnail + 4

It’s a fictional movie, no where it states it’s based on real life events 

I liked the overall aesthetics of the teaser, I’m so over small town slice of life movies… Nahin dekhne Mujhe Punjab k mohallay aur Calcutta ki tang galian, 

loves the costumes and the song in the first teaser…

there is literally nothing for teens and young adults on Netflix india so this might be a welcomed change.

Also I saw plenty of comments everywhere claiming that this just looks like white people, they are not Indian enough.

pathaka thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 6

It’s an adaptation of an American comic ……zoya just wants to keep the core aesthetics and looks similar to the comics for the sake of evoking nostalgia …

I don’t see why we need to ghusao realism and Indian ness everywhere …yes it’s great if it’s realistic and Indian …but the opposite of “real and Indian” is not “wrong and horrible”

Films can be whatever they want to be ….realistic or completely fantasy/fictional …

FYI, 

The first half of barfi set in the 70s had a similar aesthetic to this and was also set in a hill station …no one complained abt that saying “oh Calcutta wasn’t like this in the 70s…everyone’s not wearing dhotis with oiled hair as per the stereotype we had in our head”

Edited by pathaka - 10 months ago
OriginalJuhi_04 thumbnail
Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 9

I was also thinking that why we cry racism when Indians are teased on their skin colour when we are doing the same to Archies characters calling them too white or boiled eggs? Yes I have seen people calling that to the characters. Zoya had clearly said that charsctters are Anglo-Indians. Many are ranting and whining that why a movie is made which most Indians can't relate and they should make them only for SoBos, South Delhites and Anglo-Indians and not for the majority of Indians? Why so? Is it wrong to make movies on minorities of the past and present? Is it necessary to show evey movies made on UP, Bihar, Punjabi background? Or is it necessary to make content in village or small town background to make it look relatable to India? 

Yes. I am sure there were burgers in 1960s in India though in very few selected places which only celebrities and super rich families could afford. Anglo-Indians had different culture, lifestyle and cuisine. There are few hill stations like Bow Barracks and McCluskieganj where Anglo-Indian community lived and some still lives. They were also Western names like fictional Riverdale is western name. P

This was a song from 1965 movie and was not even an Anglo-Indian movie. The movie was definitely Anglo-Indian but it had a group of Elites. Many of our ancestors' came from villages or small towns but there were a small group of Elites who always lived in posh cities and would hangout at pubs or nightclubs. 

https://youtu.be/nOAsaehfPrk

There are more old movies which are unknown to many. Anyways, let the movie release. May be not all 7 characters are Anglo-Indians but 2-3 are from different religions. Also 2-3 may not be rich or Elites like others in the group. We are yet to know their family backgrounds and family members in the movie. The trailer simply shows them going to Riverdale for their schooling or spending their vacation using the tag Freedom. Seeing the first look last year I also wondered what it was but when Zoya said its based on Anglo-Indians then I understood that she did not shown anything too unusual. 

Flyonthewall02 thumbnail
Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Aryan ko leti na picture mein ye sabko hamku dekhna hi nahi hai 

Originally posted by: hyancchoatishoo

Yeah, there were too many over-smart dimwits copy-pasted the same comment like every character looks white. 

And same people cry when anyone comment on their colour abroad or even in India. Also same people judge North-east people for not looking or acting enough Indians. 

Originally posted by: JustWandering

It’s a fictional movie, no where it states it’s based on real life events 

I liked the overall aesthetics of the teaser, I’m so over small town slice of life movies… Nahin dekhne Mujhe Punjab k mohallay aur Calcutta ki tang galian, 

loves the costumes and the song in the first teaser…

there is literally nothing for teens and young adults on Netflix india so this might be a welcomed change.

Also I saw plenty of comments everywhere claiming that this just looks like white people, they are not Indian enough.

Bold: We had enough of them. Also not all stories has to be based in small towns or villages to look enough Indians. Why it's necessary for majority Indians to relate to everything and not welcome any culture which a small percent of people followed? I have seen stupid comments like 'only 10 people from South Bombay or South Delhi' will watch or 'show the movie to only Anglo-Indians and not majority of Indians'. I mean why? Lets welcome all kinds of movies. Bolne se pehle thoda research bhi nahi karte ye log whether the things shown are really fictional or reality of the past.

Originally posted by: MaxMayfield

Atleast let Archies release and then criticise it? The teasers are cute..it reminds me of Jo Jeeta wohi sikandar and I love those kind of teen dramas and sweet college romance etc..I mean I don’t honestly get the criticism or flak or whatever without having seen any dialogue promo etc..

According to them, women in 1960s only wore salwar-kameez and sarees and people are only jalebi samosas and lived in villages and chawls. Had hai yaar. How do they think nightclubs and pubs were used in 1950s and 1960s? Also didn't we had 1950s and 1960s movies with men and women dressing in modern Western clothes and dancing to western music?

atominis thumbnail

Zoya reminds me of her own dad's criticism that today's lot is not rooted and has no idea of India, they are raised on global content and education or lived abroad, so they think that way.

Zoya's films also had distinctly uber rich urban Indian elitist portrayals and were not relatable for most of Indians.

She could learn a bit from her dad and mom on what Indians look or talk or behave like.