Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

1t1svat1t1s thumbnail
Posted: 10 months ago

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

Do you know what food history source you are referring to? And are you referring to the fast food burger or classic burger? 

Mine is totally anecdotal so it could be totally wrong. 

Mine is anecdotal too. Taking references from my dad who grew up during the late 60s to 80s in one of the metros of India and google. Burger largely happens to be an American staple which apparently Europe detested and even had a brief ban before it made a came back. 

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Zoya is hanging herself with these answers šŸ˜‚ 

MostlyHarmIess thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: 1t1svat1t1s

The first burger came to UK in 1954 and to India in 1984. 

Apparently vada pav made its first entry in 1964.

Pant: Burgers were there in Delhi and many other big cities half a century back, much before the golden arches of McDonald's had made an appearance. Gay Time Grill (the restaurant does not exist any longer) in Connaught Place sold deep fried small buns with deep fried kebab like patty with a slice of tomato and onion rings. Nirula's (India's oldest fast food restaurant chain) pioneered grilled patties, and not fried sesame seeds garnished buns. They also included dill pickle and mustard laced Mayo. The plebian PRRM (price rise resistant movement) coffee houses in Connaught Place and Delhi University dished out 27 paise burgers, deep fried again! It was the five star eateries in the mid 1960s who started talking about quarter pound burgers. I recall relishing one at The Oberoi coffee shop in 1970. By the mid 1980s, enough young Indians had tasted the real hamburgers somewhere or the other. Even the kiosk or pushcart wallah was serving Bun Tikki as 'desi burger'. School canteens and railway platforms catered to burgers. By the time McDonald's came to India, the Indian burger palate was more or less made. This is what they and all others had to cope with.

https://www.businesstoday.in/opinion/interviews/story/by-the-time-mcdonalds-came-the-indian-burger-palate-was-made-55426-2015-12-01#:~:text=Nirula%27s%20(India%27s%20oldest%20fast%20food,fried%20sesame%20seeds%20garnished%20buns.

MostlyHarmIess thumbnail

Also, the Hamburger was at least a thing in Europe in 1904, with known origins tracing a couple of centuries back. People eating hamburgers in a 1960s fictional town is really the least of the issues with the film. 

1t1svat1t1s thumbnail

As such there is nothing problematic about someone trying to present a fictional world as per their vision as long as they werenā€™t trying to promote illegal and dangerous things through their stories. They could be eating dumplings made out of gold if thatā€™s what she wanted to show. I was just playfully pointing at something which I thought was an anomaly. I am humbled to know that the people of India have always grown up eating burgers and fries. 

Kyahikahoon thumbnail
IPL 2024 Match Winner 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 15 Thumbnail + 3

Liked the teaser..gave a vibe of Shammi Kapoor's films in the 60s.

Not much off with the dressing, styling too.

If they r showing Pop Tate's it can't be without Burger n Soda. India doesn't even have a Riverdale as such. All this can be passed off as cinematic liberty.

M just relieved that my childhood fav comic doesn't seem butchered as feared

MaebyFunke thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

Zoya is not confident in her product and it's showing. Good thing this is limited to OTT. If this were a movie in theatres it would have been a colossal flop. 

MostlyHarmIess thumbnail

Originally posted by: 1t1svat1t1s

As such there is nothing problematic about someone trying to present a fictional world as per their vision as long as they werenā€™t trying to promote illegal and dangerous things through their stories. They could be eating dumplings made out of gold if thatā€™s what she wanted to show. I was just playfully pointing at something which I thought was an anomaly. I am humbled to know that the people of India have always grown up eating burgers and fries. 

Didn't mean to attack. Was just pointing out that it is probably the least of the problems here. Her real problem is that her actors don't seem capable of emoting  šŸ˜†

Shaitan-Haiwan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: IAmLuvBolly

ā€œ

Second of all, her cast isnā€™t diverse. Sheā€™s using Hrithik, Rajnkanth, Diljit, and Mary Kom as examples of diversity of India and thatā€™s all good, but then her cast basically all look the same, specially the boys. I couldnā€™t tell them apart šŸ¤·šŸ½ā€ā™€ļø.  

šŸ¤£ The irony. Also all are skinny and slim trim. Zoya has no idea what sheā€™s doing. Sheā€™s another pseudo-intellectual 

hyancchoatishoo thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: MostlyHarmIess

Did anybody even criticize it for colorism? Looks like she is just trying to make up some nonsensical  issues to deflect from actual criticism. 

Yeah, there were too many over-smart dimwits copy-pasted the same comment like every character looks white.