Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

HearMeRoar thumbnail
Posted: 1 years ago
Originally posted by: Heisenberg17_

Demanding that I should hire X race or Y gender is also unethical and immoral. 

A good businessman sees what the market wants, there is no demand for these talentless nepo kids, and unfortunately, they're gonna learn the hard way. 😆

Do you genuinely not understand that the demand you *not* discriminate against a group is not the same as a demand you *should* hire them? Because AFAIK, only government contractors are bound by those rules because they use taxpayer money. Not private money. In private enterprise, the only demand is you not discriminate. If there is a more qualified person of whatever gender or race, you are free to hire them.

Re: market. Exactly. You're finally getting around to understanding😆. Nepotism is not about ethics or morality. KJo and other producers are free to do what they want. If market doesn't want to see nepo kids, market will stop buying tickets. 

HearMeRoar thumbnail
Originally posted by: IAmLuvBolly

You absolutely are not obligated to spend money on your neighbor’s kid. But if you spend your money to bribe the dean of a college to get your kid the last spot in a big school while your neighbor’s kid is more qualified then both you and the dean of the school have done something wrong.

No one is saying star kids shouldn’t want to become actors. But make it a fair playing field. Hold real auditions and let them audition in the same manner that an unknown face and body auditions in front of the casting team. Is that even possible in Bollywood anymore? I don’t think so.  And the mere fact that this might not even be doable in Bollywood where star kids get exposed and “photographed” by paparazzi 2-3 years before they are even signed for a movie speaks of how all the big stars have turned the whole system into a monopolizing mess. 

We're not talking about IIT or IIM which is run under the auspices of the govt. That is not private money. 

Strictly private schools, while they provide quality education in many cases, are not bound by dictates of the government. They exist to provide a service in return for payment.

Heisenberg17 thumbnail
Originally posted by: HearMeRoar

Do you genuinely not understand that the demand you *not* discriminate against a group is not the same as a demand you *should* hire them? Because AFAIK, only government contractors are bound by those rules because they use taxpayer money. Not private money. In private enterprise, the only demand is you not discriminate. If there is a more qualified person of whatever gender or race, you are free to hire them.

Re: market. Exactly. You're finally getting around to understanding😆. Nepotism is not about ethics or morality. KJo and other producers are free to do what they want. If market doesn't want to see nepo kids, market will stop buying tickets. 

LOL it's the same logic you're using, except you're not even consistent in the application of it in your arguments.  If private money is private, no-one should tell me who I can/cannot hire, you're ok with some discrimination and not ok with others, I get it, yet we have laws, except, we didn't always have these laws, so I guess it was ok then?

Nepotism IS unethical no matter how hard you try to spin it, you're better off just admitting that and say you don't care, at least you'll be honest. 😆

IAmLuvBolly thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 7

We're not talking about IIT or IIM which is run under the auspices of the govt. That is not private money. 

Strictly private schools, while they provide quality education in many cases, are not bound by dictates of the government. They exist to provide a service in return for payment.

Does that make it right though?  A private school accepts a not so qualified rich student who while gets the best education doesn’t necessarily have the best mind to use that education out in the real world. Meanwhile the poor man’s kid with a brilliant mind can only get a mediocre education and while he does really well in school he can only go so far in life because of the kind of school he went to. Has society reached its full potential in this scenario?  Will the world of films and Bollywood reach its full potential if it continues in this manner of star kids becoming a whole new generation of actors?  

HearMeRoar thumbnail

Does that make it right though?  A private school accepts a not so qualified rich student who while gets the best education doesn’t necessarily have the best mind to use that education out in the real world. Meanwhile the poor man’s kid with a brilliant mind can only get a mediocre education and while he does really well in school he can only go so far in life because of the kind of school he went to. Has society reached its full potential in this scenario?  Will the world of films and Bollywood reach its full potential if it continues in this manner of star kids becoming a whole new generation of actors?  

But it's still not the job of private citizens. It's the job of the govt to make sure the poor man's child has access to good education. Isn't it why we pay taxes? Why not demand the govt do what it's supposed to instead of asking for private individuals to fork out their cash?

Re: Bollywood. At some point, loss of money will force production houses to consider what could be going wrong. 

Edited by HearMeRoar - 1 years ago
BirdieNumNum thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Heisenberg17_

LOL it's the same logic you're using, except you're not even consistent in the application of it in your arguments.  If private money is private, no-one should tell me who I can/cannot hire, you're ok with some discrimination and not ok with others, I get it, yet we have laws, except, we didn't always have these laws, so I guess it was ok then?

Nepotism IS unethical no matter how hard you try to spin it, you're better off just admitting that and say you don't care, at least you'll be honest. 😆

👍🏼 regarding unethical.

sooner or later, this industry will have to start going the public route in order to scale up. Once they have public shareholders, they will start getting sued everytime a movie flopped because they had a brainless talentless nepo kid starring in them.

someone also made a comment that private money is private money. Yes and no. A govt out to get them can still go after someone for monopolistic practices... which is what hiring from just a small circle can amount to... because its like people scratching each other's back and behaving pretty much like how monopolies do.

it's also one thing hiring a friend's kid into, say, a wall street job. Those kids are not starting at the top. They start as interns and have to struggle like others to reach higher positions if they ever do.  These nepo kids on the other hand pretty much get to start at the top, relative to all the technicians and industry people. Both unethical and bad business practice in the long long run.

MaebyFunke thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

It's hilarious watching the fans of a certain star justify nepotosm with every aira gaira logic involved when a couple years back they used to parade the fact how their beloved star is self made and that's what matters. How the tables have turned. Every time the nepotism debate is brought up you have people turn it into "other industries also do it". Nobody gives a shit bruh. This is Bollywood forum. Just because one industry does it, it should be alright for others to follow suite? You're literally claiming that people should STFU about nepotism by virtue that other industries and the larger world has been doing it. 

Now see how the points would startegically do a 180 to looking at nepotism in India and larger world just to shift the focus from BW. People be clutching at straws just to get their point across. 

IAmLuvBolly thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 7

But it's still not the job of private citizens. It's the job of the govt to make sure the poor man's child has access to good education. Isn't it why we pay taxes? Why not demand the govt do what it's supposed to instead of asking for private individuals to fork out their cash?

Re: Bollywood. At some point, loss of money will force production houses to consider what could be going wrong. 

But don’t we all have some responsibility towards society? I understand I’m being too idealistic here, but as human beings is our responsibility towards our own society and mankind limited to whatever the government dictates?  Add to that the reality of the rich and pwoerful’s influence over government and holy crap we’ve got a mess 🤷🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️😆 … yea I k is I went on a tangent. 

I get what you are saying about Bollywood, and you are right in a sense that Bollywood is a business today, as is Hollywood and any other film industry around the world. Unfortunately we cannot separate the world of business from the world of art and as a result art is suffering. 

HearMeRoar thumbnail
Originally posted by: DetachednNumb

It's hilarious watching the fans of a certain star justify nepotosm with every aira gaira logic involved when a couple years back they used to parade the fact how their beloved star is self made and that's what matters. How the tables have turned. Every time the nepotism debate is brought up you have people turn it into "other industries also do it". Nobody gives a shit bruh. This is Bollywood forum. Just because one industry does it, it should be alright for others to follow suite? You're literally claiming that people should STFU about nepotism by virtue that other industries and the larger world has been doing it. 

Now see how the points would startegically do a 180 to looking at nepotism in India and larger world just to shift the focus from BW. People be clutching at straws just to get their point across. 

1. You can both laud the fact someone is self made *and* understand that the money he made is his own money. One thought doesn't preclude the other.

2. The argument is other industries do it? No, the argument is no one has a right to demand how I/you/someone else spends own money. You might consider nepotism wrong, but thievery/coercion is definitely criminal.

3. Who is demanding you shut up? People are putting forth their arguments just as you are.

4. Clutching at straws? Pretty big straw when entire animal kingdom functions on the same principle. 

Edited by HearMeRoar - 1 years ago
HearMeRoar thumbnail

But don’t we all have some responsibility towards society? I understand I’m being too idealistic here, but as human beings is our responsibility towards our own society and mankind limited to whatever the government dictates?  Add to that the reality of the rich and pwoerful’s influence over government and holy crap we’ve got a mess 🤷🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️😆 … yea I k is I went on a tangent. 

I get what you are saying about Bollywood, and you are right in a sense that Bollywood is a business today, as is Hollywood and any other film industry around the world. Unfortunately we cannot separate the world of business from the world of art and as a result art is suffering. 

Isn't that why we pay taxes and do charity? If 100% of what we earned were to go to society, there would be no incentive for growth. Because at the end of the day, most growth happens because of self interest. 

Yeah, art suffers in Bollywood. But I would imagine production houses can take losses only for so long because they start to look at what's going wrong. I'd hope they understand nepotism is a big chunk of it.