Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

MaebyFunke thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 1 years ago

Oh my, the focus had been diverted from BW to India to larger world to now animal kingdom. What next? 

Nepotism is okay folks because the animal kingdom too participates in it. 

I can't 🤣🤣

The stuff you get to read on this forum. 

MaebyFunke thumbnail
Originally posted by: IAmLuvBolly

I get what you are saying about Bollywood, and you are right in a sense that Bollywood is a business today, as is Hollywood and any other film industry around the world. Unfortunately we cannot separate the world of business from the world of art and as a result art is suffering. 

It's not just art, even the business is suffering. The manufactured actors and content of the films in BW is downgrading because of nepotistic behaviour. Even if you don't give a shit about art, the point that you're losing money by investing in star kids and pushing away genuine talent should wake one up. 

HearMeRoar thumbnail
Originally posted by: DetachednNumb

Oh my, the focus had been diverted from BW to India to larger world to now animal kingdom. What next? 

Nepotism is okay folks because the animal kingdom too participates in it. 

I can't 🤣🤣

The stuff you get to read on this forum. 

Well, why don't you put up an argument why stealing smiley1someone else's money is perfectly ethical and moral then?

Heisenberg17 thumbnail
Originally posted by: HearMeRoar

Well, why don't you put up an argument why stealing smiley1someone else's money is perfectly ethical and moral then?

Hiring someone on the basis of merit is stealing money? 😆 

Heisenberg17 thumbnail
Originally posted by: DetachednNumb

It's not just art, even the business is suffering. The manufactured actors and content of the films in BW is downgrading because of nepotistic behaviour. Even if you don't give a shit about art, the point that you're losing money by investing in star kids and pushing away genuine talent should wake one up. 

These nepotistism supporters don't care about all that, these are just excuses to justify the kids of their favourite star entering in the the film industry, at least be honest about it. 😆

IAmLuvBolly thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 7

Isn't that why we pay taxes and do charity? If 100% of what we earned were to go to society, there would be no incentive for growth. Because at the end of the day, most growth happens because of self interest. 

Yeah, art suffers in Bollywood. But I would imagine production houses can take losses only for so long because they start to look at what's going wrong. I'd hope they understand nepotism is a big chunk of it.

No one is saying 100% of our earnings should go to society. I’m simply saying one cannot use their position of power to control every narrative and get everything their way at the cost to others.  We cannot be selfish.  

BirdieNumNum thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

why dont you put up an argument then why bringing in nepo kids is the right thing to do? Your argument that people can do what they want with their money is such a cop-out and not even entirely true (because there are limits).😆

of course if you acknowledge its the wrong thing to do irrespective of it being their money, you may finally be coming around.😆

MaebyFunke thumbnail

1. You can both laud the fact someone is self made *and* understand that the money he made is his own money. One thought doesn't preclude the other.

2. The argument is other industries do it? No, the argument is no one has a right to demand how I/you/someone else spends own money. You might consider nepotism wrong, but thievery/coercion is definitely criminal.

3. Who is demanding you shut up? People are putting forth their arguments just as you are.

4. Clutching at straws? Pretty big straw when entire animal kingdom functions on the same principle. 

When you laud the fact about an actor being a self made and parade it as a badge of honour, then immediately do a 180 and scream but "private money is private money", it takes away any credibility your opinion holds. Your contradictory thoughts don't hold any water when you entertain ideas of opposite spectrum for a single entity. 

Don't go off into tangents of theivery or criminal acts. Deflecting from the topic at hand won't just for the sake of arguing has never done anyone any good. The point is not that we are demanding for any producer/director to spend their money as per our wish. Bollywood being a collective industry  the decisions of a single entity trying to favour one player in the market would affect the end product and the rest of the industry. It creates an imbalance where few individuals weild excess power restricting the entry of new players to even the playing field so healthy competition grows. Know what happens in such situations? The market stagnates until it collapses. The private money argument absolutely doesn't hold here as films are money making businesses. They are not isolated give and take transactions where you write a cheque and that's the end of it. It's an employment generator running with the support of crores. 

Movie business is not a monopoly, it's an oligopoly where a single decision creates a domino effect. 

Also for the love of God, do not promote and say something is alright just because previously an industry or a larger part of life is already imitating it. Wrong is wrong. Nepotism is wrong, no matter who does it. End of. 

BirdieNumNum thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: IAmLuvBolly

No one is saying 100% of our earnings should go to society. I’m simply saying one cannot use their position of power to control every narrative and get everything their way at the cost to others.  We cannot be selfish.  

also, for someone to say its their private money is actually very cynical. No one operates in a vacuum. The private money that someone has made is always because there was an enabling/ societal environment that allowed them to make it. And forget about KJO or SRK, it applies even to the biggest guys in the world... like bezos or musk. Without the tech infrastructure and the universities that gave them brilliant engineers, they wouldn't have made it. If they were to turn around and behave selfishly, they will soon have their wings clipped by the govt. In this case, BW is often clamoring for concessions and special industry recognition from the govt. Govt should withhold those if these guys behave in unprofessional ways which is what nepotism is. The tax payers (thru their govt) should not be funding or supporting idiotic selfish behavior, directly or indirectly.

Edited by BirdieNumNum - 1 years ago
blue-ice.1 thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Originally posted by: Mahisa_22

Nepotism is wrong no matter who does it. Just because some outsiders might be engaging in it today or in the future, doesn't make nepotism any less wrong. Star kids are unfairly favoured, and that's wong, period. 

Totally agree...something wrong is wrong even if everyone does it will do it......I just don't understand the hue and cry about it in BW or anything that is privately owned....I get it that the general notion is that it affects us.....but not to that extent...I mean I don't watch an Arjun Kapoor movie or an AB Jr movie...even Alia Bhatt's movie...unless the reviews are really good.....It is not fair to not let them use their own money for their own kids or the way they want..