ImagineMe thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 6 years ago

BY SUBHASH K JHA Sunday, 15 April 2018

Jury chairman Shekhar Kapoor reveals the reason for his choices for the National Awards

I caught the super-talented Shekhar Kapoor for a chat on his chairmanship of the just-concluded 85th National film awards just before he flew off to Boston. As the chairperson of the jury, Shekhar just couldn't stop raving about the quality of work he saw in the non-Bollywood non-Hindi language cinema, known until very recently as regional cinema. "I cannot tell you what an enriching experience these past few weeks have been for me. I was actually supposed to be at the Boston MIT as an honorary professor. When Smriti Irani insisted that I do jury duty, I finally relented and postponed my Boston assignment by ten days.

And boy, is Shekhar glad he took on the jury job! "The kind of cinema I saw in the regional languages...it just blew mind.  Sorry, but regional cinema is no more regional. Very soon Bollywood, as we call Hindi cinema, will become regional cinema. The films in the non-Hindi Indian languages are taking us back to the cinema of Raj Kapoor...films that are from the heart, for the heart

Shekhar says the quality of work he saw in the non-Hindi cinema left him deeply impressed.

"I've decided to champion the cause of non-Hindi cinema. Such gifted directors! The girl Rima Das whose Assamese film Village Rockstars has won the Best Film, is self-trained. What a film she has made! The quality of cinema and performances in the regional languages is so much higher than in Hindi. I mean, look, with all due respects...Newton and Rajkummar Rao were fine. But I saw far better films and performances in non-Hindi cinema. Sometimes I'd see two actors in one language and say, My God two such brilliant back-to-back performances. Then someone would tell me it is the same actor in both. My God! They are so dedicated to doing their jobs, not bothered with success, not looking anxiously over the shoulder to see who's looking. And the actor (Riddhi Sen) who has won the Best Actor... so so brilliant in the Bengali film Nagarkirtan. This is unselfconscious cinema. Nothing in Hindi is comparable with this.

Does Shekhar feel Hindi cinema has lost its heart? 

"Look, I feel the spotlight and glamour has been concentrated for too long on Bollywood. The regional cinema has been side-lined to the shadows.  It's time to celebrate cinema in languages other than Hindi, and I plan to take the cause of regional cinema to the West. This is the cinema that we need to be recognized by in the West. I just may make a film in a non-Hindi language

As for Sridevi's best actress award Shekhar candidly admits he had reservations, 

"Brilliant as she is, every morning I'd remind the jury that I've been closely associated with her and  it might look a little improper if she was given the award. We also saw some mind-blowing performances by other actress, like this girl in a Manipuri film, then the actress in the Malayalm film Take Off and the Tamil actress in To Let... But the jury was adamant. They wanted Sridevi. So it was Sridevi.

So Vidya and Aditi Balan weren't in the shortlist to begin with. 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Mallika-E-Bhais thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5
He's absolutely right. Regional cinema is any day, any minute, far far far superior to Bw!!! In every sphere. BW is utter garbage.
Maraka_Musso89 thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
So true! When one see's the actors that are hailed in Bollywood nowadays, it's such a joke compared to other Indian Film industries. 
I do hope they'll get more and more recognition and it's beginning to happen with Bollywood dip in quality and indian-ness they lost themself while trying to emulate Hollywood. 

Even B-grade Bollywood movies were better than some A list movies nowadays
SrideviFan4ever thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
. Edited by SrideviFan4ever - 5 years ago
ponymo thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Replug:

I love Sridevi, and I liked her in Mom too. Despite average reviews, I went to the theatre to watch it (I hardly watch 4-5 films a year). But neither the movie nor the performance stood out this year.

What I hate about this is that there was a genuine worthy winner like Parvathy who was robbed. And why? Because some unrelated incident happened to an actress. 

This award may have helped bring Parvathy some recognition and brought better roles for her.

What will Sridevi do with this award? She already has an unbeatable legacy.

We Indians need to stop getting carried away with emotions and be objective when we are entrusted with such a big responsibility.

P.S. It could have been Parvathy or any other. My point wasn't about Parvathy; you can replace her with any other actress who you thought was deserving.

P.P.S. I know Parvathy won special mention, but that's not my point. If Parvathy won Best Actor, there may have been someone else who may have won special mention (that someone is now empty handed). Oh well.
pallavi25 thumbnail

Its funny/weird that he finally realized after all these years that Regional cinema is such high quality, realistic, socially relevant cinema. 
Was he sleeping all these years and never watched any acclaimed regional movies by such great directors like  Satyajit Ray, Mrinal Sen, Adoor Gopalakrishnan? 
Over the years, Malayalam, Bengali, Tamil, Kannada films have won most NAs for performances as well as content. 
Its heartening to see films from Assam, Ladakh, even Lakshwadeep leave their mark in NA.👏

The point is regional cinema still shows socially relevant themes, things that are wrong in society, culturally relevant issues, etc while Bollywood is mostly abt glamor, action, unrealistic themes and content. 
Ridhi Sen is a born actor, he was completely natural and convincing in his 2015 Bengali film too...Open Tee Bioscope 👏

By God, Shekhar rambled such a lot before they cut off his ranting.😆..they shd have just announced the winners digitally instead of Shekhar laboriously spelling out the names of the award winning films 😆
He doesnt have to give excuses for Sridevi's win, maybe she did not deserve it for Mom (I think she did) but she definitely deserved it for EV which she didnt get... so we can take this NA as a late but well deserved recognition of her ENTIRE contribution to Indian films in the last 50 yrs...in all the languages she worked in ⭐️
Edited by pallavi25 - 6 years ago
S_H_Y thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Originally posted by: Mallika-E-Bhais

He's absolutely right. Regional cinema is any day, any minute, far far far superior to Bw!!! In every sphere. BW is utter garbage.

What regional cinema movies you recommend from last year.
Mallika-E-Bhais thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5
Parvathy Is one of my fav actresses, even with Irrfan I couldn't keep my eyes off her in QQS! She was super. Her voice is so pleasant & lovely too; stays with you, as much as her talent. I am glad Kapur is speaking up now but it's over & done with. No point dragging the issue through mud.
Shaitan-Haiwan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6
He sounds stupid. As I said in another topic, he wants to praise other regional films as a tactic to come across as intelligent. Whereas he is coming across as a pseudo-intellectual.

If Hindi-cinema is so bad then FIX IT. Make better films BE THE CHANGE. Don't just sit there and do nothing. Why are you in the Jury of the National Film Awards then?

No matter what he says - Hindi films are superior - Hindi films are the ones getting recognized internationally. Hindi films stars get the Hollywood offers and are often quoted in International media. Hindi movie stars are in that London museum. Hindi cinema CREATES Impact and bring in the $$$

Nobody knows or cares about Regional stars. They don't have the same influence, star power, fan following or clout as Hindi movie stars do!
ponymo thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Originally posted by: Shaitan-Haiwan

No matter what he says - Hindi films are superior - Hindi films are the ones getting recognized internationally. Hindi films stars get the Hollywood offers and are often quoted in International media. Hindi movie stars are in that London museum. Hindi cinema CREATES Impact and bring in the $$$

Nobody knows or cares about Regional stars. They don't have the same influence, star power, fan following or clout as Hindi movie stars do!

You clearly missed the point.

He is saying the films are of better quality, and one doesn't have to be bigger to be better.

Of course Telugu/Tamil industries are smaller than Hindi industry purely on the basis of number of people speaking those languages. The same reason why Hindi industry is smaller than English industry, because the latter has bigger reach.

Non-Hindi Indian cinema* is indeed superior in terms of content and quality. And last checked it is not far behind in terms of business either, in fact it is ahead; Bahubali 2 made 1000 crore, and the biggest Hindi film so far is yet to reach even half the milestone.

Not to mention... the most awaited Hindi film of the year - hold your breath - is not even a Hindi film. 

Ormax MediaVerified account @OrmaxMedia 
More

Most-awaited Hindi films (main trailer not released yet) as on April 15, 2018 Student Of The Year 2 enters the top 5 #OrmaxCinematix

*I hate to use the word regional. They are not regional industries. There are no such imaginary boundaries anymore.
Edited by ponymo - 6 years ago