Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

AladdinKaChirag thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
Posted: 6 years ago
Lol all twinkle knows is how to judge choices of women and she calls herself a feminist. I think it should be left to a woman whether she wants to work or take a leave and just becoz she decides to take a leave, it isn't an excuse, many women genuinely suffer a lot during periods. Even i too during my teen years, but ayurvedic medicines helped me a lot, yoga is also quite effective.
Pappu.Pager thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
She's tone deaf. She's a mouth breather. She has no idea the pain inflicted on working women. sexism and humiliation at work for having a period. 
Pappu.Pager thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

I am a woman. I was anemic a huge portion of my teenage years and suffered immensely painful and lengthy periods. I've always been inconvenienced by heavy flow and massive cramps on my second and third days. I am a working woman and do not have the luxury to sit at home like celebrities. 

That being said, I do not think menstrual leave is necessary. Twinkle is absolutely right. 

Menstrual leave supports the age-old myth that women are weakened and incapacitated by their menstrual cycles. While some women do experience debilitating pain or severe depression, many women have no side effects at all. Or can easily manage with pain medication. 

Most companies are mandated by law to let employees earn sick leave for hours worked. This sick leave can be used in a variety of ways. For dental and medical wellness appointments. To care for sick dependents. For actual personal illness and injury. If a woman finds that her period pain is too bad, she always has the option of calling in sick and getting paid for it. No need to add extra menstrual leave. In addition most companies also have personal time they give which is leave that can be used for any reason. 

What I think should be considered is efforts to make menstrual products accessible and affordable. Women spend thousands of dollars in their lifetime on menstrual products - the actual pad/tampon/cup. The detergents/dry cleaning of soiled clothes and even complete loss of clothes due to staining. The expense of painkillers and antidepressants ranging from over the counter to prescription. I think some menstrual health products should be available through insurance companies on a need basis. Govt should subsidize clinics that give free menstrual health products to rural and low-income women. 

That all being said if a private company chooses to give menstrual leave. That is their prerogative. Just how some companies are more generous with maternity leave and give more than mandated by law. 

India does not have the luxury. Its sexist for a women to say women are considered physically weak when they are on period, but why not have these women rest? Most women in India  can barely eat until their husbands have eaten due to some god awful old practice. 
Supari_khala thumbnail
I love Twinkle, always have but even I'm starting to get annoyed with her statements. 😆 Good lord woman, zip it! You make no sense making blanket statements like this.
-RD- thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
I am glad padman is about to release so finally her daily nonsense dose will stop also Akkis next is a sports based theme so he can leave feminism alone and get back to patriotism and sports thankfully.Edited by -RD- - 6 years ago
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: anu023

it's not a myth. Most teenagers are physically and emotionally weak at around menstruation . Blame faulty eating habits and lack of exercise . Having said that if leave is optional that shouldn't be a problem. Many women with endometriosis experience severe pain and other issues a leave would help such women

It IS A myth. 

The effects of menstruation vary from woman to women. Often times the cause of concern is not menstruation but other factors such as nutrition, exercise, pre-existing health conditions.

The solution is not menstrual leave but healthcare education and access. 

Originally posted by: ranikaadi

India does not have the luxury. Its sexist for a women to say women are considered physically weak when they are on period, but why not have these women rest? Most women in India  can barely eat until their husbands have eaten due to some god awful old practice. 

India does have Sick Leave laws. Menstrual leave will not solve implementation issues. 

Any woman who feels weak or tired for any reason deserves rest. Irrespective of menstruation or not. Menstrual leave will not solve issues related to poor treatment of women. Families who expect women to take care of their family even when tired, eat only after their husbands have much bigger issues than just menstruation. 

----------

Menstrual leave fosters misconceptions about menstruation. It creates a leave for something that impacts a very small population of women. In many ways it is unfair to the general population. There are thousands of men and women who suffer conditions that impact their work like a chronic migraine, rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia or autoimmune complications. They still take medication to manage pain and work. They take sick leave when they are unable to. Similarly, women on periods should take medication to manage pain and take sick leave when they are unable to. And if a woman has serious complications that impact her ability to work during the period - she can still file for intermittent Short Term Disability or similar schemes in many western nations. India should offer such schemes for anyone with recurring illnesses that impact work. 
stranger.67 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: --Ariana--

India mein toh kuch companies maternity leave tak nai deti, menstrual leave toh bohot dur ki baat hai! Some of the companies are so bad, they ask before hiring whether a person is planning to get married soon.

They expect people to not get married or have kids, and basically to stop living their lives. They just want their employees to concentrate on work. I wish the labour laws were a little better here!

Oh wow!
And here its Illegal to ask such questions in job intwrviews.
Your not allowed to ask about their personal life or
Martial status
Pregnancy
And few more thing.

Even if your pregnant they have no choice to hire you and give you maternity leave
And the manager ask these things you can be fired from work 😆
Anurulz thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Twinkle really needs to know when to shut up.. She pretends to be emancipated and progressive but all she comes across as is a pretend know-it-all who makes condescending and judgemental statements about others choices..
cory thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2
What a dumbass thing to say, she just blurts out rubbish all the time, trying to defy something natural in women and say its no big deal 
tootyfrooty- thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: AllThatCritique

When can she shut the f**k up. Am so tired of her nonsense. Its so easy to sit at home and do nothing and live off your husband's clout while making stupid statements about what strength entails. She should have told the woman that taking leave for cramps during periods doesn't mean a woman's weak. It is only allows women to take care of their bodies better. And excuse,really? Must be really easy for her during periods,sitting at an air-conditioned home while wracking her non existent brains for a unfunny column noone cares about. Surely periods is an excuse for those women actually doing physical labour,actually traveling to places in crowded buses working round the clock. Sureee. 

may be she is one of them lucky ones who donot get cramps, i feel terrible pain , a slow pain so for me going on work or market is no no and its not comfortable also.