Views

Users

Frequent Posters

anu023 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 6 years ago

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

It IS A myth. 

The effects of menstruation vary from woman to women. Often times the cause of concern is not menstruation but other factors such as nutrition, exercise, pre-existing health conditions.

The solution is not menstrual leave but healthcare education and access. 

India does have Sick Leave laws. Menstrual leave will not solve implementation issues. 

Any woman who feels weak or tired for any reason deserves rest. Irrespective of menstruation or not. Menstrual leave will not solve issues related to poor treatment of women. Families who expect women to take care of their family even when tired, eat only after their husbands have much bigger issues than just menstruation. 

----------

Menstrual leave fosters misconceptions about menstruation. It creates a leave for something that impacts a very small population of women. In many ways it is unfair to the general population. There are thousands of men and women who suffer conditions that impact their work like a chronic migraine, rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia or autoimmune complications. They still take medication to manage pain and work. They take sick leave when they are unable to. Similarly, women on periods should take medication to manage pain and take sick leave when they are unable to. And if a woman has serious complications that impact her ability to work during the period - she can still file for intermittent Short Term Disability or similar schemes in many western nations. India should offer such schemes for anyone with recurring illnesses that impact work. 

i am a doctor and u come and tell me losing a good amount of blood and iron along with it doesn't cause weakness? Then why do u think government supplies iron tablets to girls in adolescent age group? For fun? 
Oh please! Take ur elitist perceptions elsewhere. 
A large portion of girls in India , specially the ones from.two extreme sections of society that is too poor and too rich suffer a lot during menstruation. If u haven't seen them doesn't mean they don't exist.
Resident_Evil thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Why are her ramblings taken as gospel truth in this forum? She has a mind of her own and her opinions may not be in line with other people however that doesn't mean she isn't entitled to them. 
GolguppaGuzzler thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Resident_Evil

Why are her ramblings taken as gospel truth in this forum? She has a mind of her own and her opinions may not be in line with other people however that doesn't mean she isn't entitled to them. 

Unfortunately for us mere mortals, she is influential enough to get her opinions read by millions. 
in a society where patriarchy is deep rooted, her opinions provide a validation to some and belittles many lone voices.
blue-ice. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: Faerydae

Twinkle ji hum us dash me rehte  hai yahan periods ki chodo pregnancy ( even in 8th month )me bhi  mazdoori karti hai.😆

Why not?? Being pregnant or having periods are not sicknesses...women should carry on with their normal lifestyles unless something is wrong and the doctor advises rest.
Edited by blue-ice. - 6 years ago
sherlockthor thumbnail
I think the labour laws and the society should understand that women and men are different and they have different physical and emotional needs. 
I fully support Menstrual leaves for Women
And I wish Men too would get such leaves 

There should be equality in privileges. 
No one should feel let down or else there will be dirty politics and jealousy in the company.

I worked in few companies , we never had Menstrual leave sadly :( but we did have sick leaves so every month 1 day went in that 

And Twinkle Khanna - You don't know what you are talking about. Maybe for you periods are painless and amazing. For others - there are women working as construction labourers , garment factory workers , IT , Govt , Teachers etc and they are working 24/7 and some days , when there is so much pain, we need a leave.

I sometimes wonder if men would get periods then they would have fought for all kinds of privileges 
Resident_Evil thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: BubbleBath

Unfortunately for us mere mortals, she is influential enough to get her opinions read by millions. 
in a society where patriarchy is deep rooted, her opinions provide a validation to some and belittles many lone voices.

I dont think anyone in the real world cares about her opinions. 
fivestars thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: blue-ice.

Why not?? Being pregnant or having periods are not sicknesses...women should carry on with their normal lifestyles unless something is wrong and the doctor advises rest.

Comeon ,not everyone are as fortunate as twinkle ,who might feel normal those days...and i dont think she is talking abt who feels normal on those days either...some of the women feel sick with cramps and vomiting sensations...and how can she talk on their behalf and trash it as an excuse ? The individual person knows the pain she goes thru not twinkle who pass the judgement 
angrybread thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: -RD-

I am glad padman is about to release so finally her daily nonsense dose will stop also Akkis next is a sports based theme so he can leave feminism alone and get back to patriotism and sports thankfully.

Don't worry she will be back to how women should be taking part in sports instead of lazying around , they are not weak so why just do household chores instead of going out and playing gulli danda ðŸ˜† probably be taking pictures of women taking rest and shaming them online like last time at toilet time she took selfies with people shitting in open and posting them on social media ðŸ˜†

Also may be reject saari for salwar qameez or trousers since saari might create problem in sports ðŸ˜†
Edited by angrybread - 6 years ago
Jaitreya23 thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Twinkle is absolutely wrong in saying that women make excuse. Perhaps she might have made excuse to avoid doing something.  So many women have excruciatingly painful periods and heavy bleeding that they need rest and some of them are hospitalised too. Besides not everyone has luxury to sit at home and rest, many of them have to work at office and home too. They are double burdened.Yes some women have to undergo hard labour doing periods despite the pain because they are helpless and in dire need. 

On leaves, its a tough call since companies giving maternity leave is through an act of law and it invites lot of hesitation from MNCs in offering jobs to married women as they suspect maternity leave and thereby jeopardizing their project deadlines. So doubtful of menstrual leave but granting of sick leave is also tough. Many companies ask for medical certificate beyond a fixed no of days.

A lucky lady might be able to run around as she has light period but not everyone is lucky. Some have so much pain and bleeding that its tough for them to even move and use the washroom.  Twinkle needs to read and learn more about menstruation and apologise for such irresponsible statement. She is coming across as foolish rather than oh so liberal.

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: anu023

i am a doctor and u come and tell me losing a good amount of blood and iron along with it doesn't cause weakness? Then why do u think government supplies iron tablets to girls in adolescent age group? For fun?

As a doctor wouldn't you say anemia and menstruation are two separate issues that should not be conflated?

Isn't the iron deficiency in India due to iron deficient diets and not menstruation related?

Isn't it true that menstruation is different for all women? Some women suffer extreme pain and complications. Others none?

So isn't it dangerous to have homogenous assumptions about periods?

Originally posted by: anu023

Oh please! Take ur elitist perceptions elsewhere. 

A large portion of girls in India , specially the ones from.two extreme sections of society that is too poor and too rich suffer a lot during menstruation. If u haven't seen them doesn't mean they don't exist.

I guess you skipped my first post in the thread where I talk about my menstrual issues. Periods have always been painful for me. But I also know it is a spectrum of effects with the women I know. 

Anyone who say periods are easy or periods are suffering are spreading myths.