Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Flame. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 6 years ago

Originally posted by: angrybread

Can't really take much sick leaves as well , Women in my family suffer from horrendous pain...on some lucky days periods will start on a weekend and that month will be covered but apart from that there isn't much choice - either a high dose of pain killer ( which is again not a good idea to take on a regular basis ) or a day off ( with too many eyebrows raised ) or just suffer in the end .

My younger sister's period date was falling while it was her GCSE exams ...GP prescribed high dose of pain killer (Naproxen) only to be taken in emergency  if periods start on the exam day .

I suffer from it as well. Pain so intense that it feels like someone is breaking my organs from inside. Plus,  severe vomiting which means I am literally without food for a day or two leading to a lot of weakness in the body.  
If have exams during that time,  I usually take a pill to delay my dates which, I am aware, is extremely unhealthy. But dont really have a choice here.  
Twinkle and Saif are the two stupidest celebrities that think they're geniuses. Sometimes I wonder if they even have two brain cells to rub together. 
NimbuMirchi thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

She might be one of those ladies, for whom period passes without a trouble. 

For some of us, its terrible. I have always had severe cramps and vomiting. Even with the pain medicine, I can not stand or seat. I have cried in my mother's lap. Had been to Ayurvedic, Homeopathic and all kinds of doc. It's something that I have to go through. 

And I have been very guilty when I missed my classes in school/colleges or when I have to take off from work. Its difficult to explain coz most around me never had such pain. 

So she needs to stfu. I would love a day off. It certainly doesn't make me weak. This online warriors know nothing about ground reality. Only shoot off from their mouth. Bolne mein kiske paise lagte hai. ðŸ¥±
EtherealRati thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Does gender equality suffer when women get menstrual leave?

There's nothing like a whiff of taboo to make news media outlets and social media erupt with vitriolic debate. Mention menstruation in popular culture and just like sex-related topics it proves to be irresistible "click-bait.

But for those of us interested in gender equality, the real issue is whether this is helping or hindering the feminist cause.

The latest mention of menstruation to hit the mainstream comes from the United Kingdom, where a not-for-profit organisation called Coexist has introduced a "period policy.

It offers female employees the option of taking leave from work if they are suffering from menstrual pain, or dysmenorrhea.

International sportswear company Nike introduced similar menstrual leave for employees in 2007. Around the world, leave is available to women suffering menstrual pain in China, South Korea, Taiwan, Indonesia and Japan.

But such open acknowledgement of menstruation and its impact upon the female body is rare in western countries.

Coexist's period policy has provoked some wonderful satire and divided public opinion as to whether this constitutes "playing the girly card.

My feelings about the move are mixed. This policy could be seen either as a positive recognition of the realities of everyday life as a menstruating woman, or as a regressive return to the dark days when women were discriminated against on the basis of biology.

In this sense, the debate around period policies or menstrual leave references the wider history of feminist thought and the battle for women's rights.

Late 19th century doctors were in furious agreement that menstruation rendered girls and women less capable than men.

Many agreed with Harvard medical professor Edward Clarke that this "monthly sickness meant females were not mentally or physically fit for public roles such as paid employment or university study. Biology was used as an excuse to lock women out of the public sphere.

Midol ad, circa 1961. Classic Film, CC BY-NC

This history explains the 20th century movement for equality feminism: the claim that women are exactly the same as men.

The curious things that women's bodies can do, such as menstruate, lactate and bear children, were downplayed in an effort to minimise any sense of female incapacity. Sex education books for girls from the mid-20th century insisted that menstruation "doesn't make you any different' than you are on any other day.

These days opinions on menstruation are divided. Some, like menstruation educators Red School, want to recognise and celebrate female cycles.

Some "menstrual activists look for ways for women to reclaim control of their cycles, through such steps as the use of re-usable menstrual products.

Others want to get rid of menstruationaltogether through the use of hormonal treatments, arguing that it is linked to heightened risks of breast, endometrial and ovarian cancers (an unproven claim)).

The problem with deciding whether menstrual leave is a good idea is that women's experiences of menstruation are as varied as our fingerprints. Research is contradictory, claiming variously that half of New Zealand women, 84 per cent of Italian women or 90 per cent of Iranian women experience some form of dysmenorrhea.

Enshrining menstrual leave as a normal part of organisational policy creates the impression that all women experience period pain so crippling that ordinary work functioning is impossible.

But menstrual experiences are not uniform. Some women feel like sex during their periods, some don't. Some feel creative and stimulated, some would rather avoid social interaction. Some feel like going for a 10km run and some would rather curl up on the couch with a block of chocolate.

I'd rather not instigate a workplace policy that mandates a particular way of experiencing menstruation: that it necessarily requires time off work and a retreat from the world.

Instead, I'd rather teach girls and women to pay attention to their unique experience of menstruation, to listen to how it makes them think, feel and act.

That may require some adjustment to their lives at different times of the month (when sick leave is always an option).

That may mean explaining to people around them that they feel grumpy when PMS strikes.

But let's not create a blanket expectation that all women are crippled by periods or we risk a return to the bad old days when a woman's intelligence was thought to drip out of her body along with her uterus lining.

Edited by EtherealRati - 6 years ago
angrybread thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: Aahana-

I suffer from it as well. Pain so intense that it feels like someone is breaking my organs from inside. Plus,  severe vomiting which means I am literally without food for a day or two leading to a lot of weakness in the body.  
If have exams during that time,  I usually take a pill to delay my dates which, I am aware, is extremely unhealthy. But dont really have a choice here.  

After marriage and after being mother my period pain has decreased..it's still there but not as bad as it used to be .

Yes i know about that pill too , wish i knew about it at the time when i was in school ...in one of my exams my period started on the morning of exams and i literally somehow survived those 2-3 hours but couldn't really do much in my exams due to extreme pain . When result came my elder brother was really angry and couldn't believe that being a good student i just passed the exams with low marks in one paper and rest of the result was really good ...he still doesn't know the reason behind it .
~*sindhu*~ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
I don't support the idea mainly because I believe companies will just simply stop hiring woman if they are forced to give them leaves on a monthly basis. And given the number of people we have in this country there will be thousand waiting to take up that job. 
Laviee thumbnail
This is her problem..she never learns.She has to give such stupid statements on every thing..and then when someone gives her back then that become vile reaction.
Koi tape Lagao iske mooh pe 
anu023 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
I saw many kids giving their board exams come to the opd with anemia and severe cramps.  i was intern in ob gyn during my housesurgeonship then. 
Most of these kids don't tell their parents and silently suffer for the fear of being labelled as someone giving excuses just before exams.
To me i prefer working when i menstruate since i tend to experience no.pain at all when i am actively working.. When i have periods on a holiday i feel lazy and it pains real bad. So it differs from.person to.person. 
I believe they should atleast give one extra leave per month to women along with the usual casual leaves one can avail since cramping is very high for many women on the first day ..they can make it optional leave since many of us prefer working rather than taking rest. Making it optional would cater to needs of  many women out there having severe menstruation related issues. Be it physical or mental 
Edited by anu023 - 6 years ago
Flame. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: angrybread

After marriage and after being mother my period pain has decreased..it's still there but not as bad as it used to be .

Yes i know about that pill too , wish i knew about it at the time when i was in school ...in one of my exams my period started on the morning of exams and i literally somehow survived those 2-3 hours but couldn't really do much in my exams due to extreme pain . When result came my elder brother was really angry and couldn't believe that being a good student i just passed the exams with low marks in one paper and rest of the result was really good ...he still doesn't know the reason behind it .

I can relate. I have even missed exams in the past because in the stress of studies,  I had totally forgotten about my dates.

There are days when even the painkiller doesn't work. I have taken 2 or 3 of them in a span of few hours due to unbearable pain. I am literally like a fish taken out of water, writhing in pain. Initially my friends  used to tease me by calling me a woman in labor because that's exactly how I looked like on the bed. Squirming,  crying,  wanting it to stop.

My aunt suffered the same and now she has been advised to get her uterus extracted - a big dilemma as she is still to have kids.  

@Bold that's exactly why men need to be educated on this topic. The kind of pain some of us go through is akin to a painful disease.