Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

wayward thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 8
Posted: 6 years ago

Originally posted by: Cluny13

I am sure Krishna never really meant what he asked Kunti to speak. But yes perhaps she just did what the lord asked her to and she can't exactly be blamed.

Nope. What I meant was it was Krishna who proposed the Draupadi thing to Karna. Kunti only asked him to join the Pandavas. 😳
SriMaatangi thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: Meself

Kunti's passiveness is what makes me dislike her to that extent. She knew what her sons went through at the hands of Kauravas yet she remained quiet. This step of hers emboldened the Kauravas to finally find courage to play with fire that was Drauapdi. She knew about Draupadi's Swayamver and her sons' participation yet she bound her to all of them not taking into consideration Drauapdi and her choice. And with Karna she did what no mother should. I am not advocating the cause of Karna but Kunti's deliberate action of making him weak just before the war really isn't done. I still hold the opinion that her suffering were of her own making. She could have avoided so much if she wanted but let things unfold without any hinderence. 

Firstly, she might have guessed that Arjuna might participate, but she was not God to know what would happen. Second, Panchali loved the five Pandavas equally, and Vyasa himself writes of her lovingly looking at all five. Third, Arjuna did say look at what biksha we got. So, it was Arjuna's fault as well. 

Siya-Ram thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Radhikerani

<font color="#0000ff">Nope. What I meant was it was Krishna who proposed the Draupadi thing to Karna. Kunti only asked him to join the Pandavas.😳</font>

Oh! I didn't know that. Kanha might have his reasons. We can't always understand his leelas 😃
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: Meself

Kunti's passiveness is what makes me dislike her to that extent. She knew what her sons went through at the hands of Kauravas yet she remained quiet. This step of hers emboldened the Kauravas to finally find courage to play with fire that was Drauapdi. She knew about Draupadi's Swayamver and her sons' participation yet she bound her to all of them not taking into consideration Drauapdi and her choice. And with Karna she did what no mother should. I am not advocating the cause of Karna but Kunti's deliberate action of making him weak just before the war really isn't done. I still hold the opinion that her suffering were of her own making. She could have avoided so much if she wanted but let things unfold without any hinderence. 

Sometimes, a person has to be passive in order to protect those around them. Kunti in this way is similar to her brother Vasudev. Both of them had to keep quiet in the face of injustice, because acting out would have been more fatal. People blame Vasudev for keeping quiet while each of his six babies were killed by Kans, but why did he do so? It's because he had no power in that situation and acting out against Kans might have resulted in the death of his beloved wife Devaki, which he could not risk. In the same way, Kunti's first duty was as a mother and her duty was to keep a roof over her sons' heads. She had to provide them with basic necessities and thus, she had to be dependent on Dhritarastra's good will. She knew Dhritarastra was a partial father and ruler. She knew he would never speak out against his sons, but if she raised her voice against the Kauravas, who would support her? No one. Neither Bhishma nor Dronacharya would have supported her, as we have evidence of their silence in Draupadi's vastraharan itself. Kunti had no support from them, and thus if she raised her voice and created a tumult in the family, Dhritarastra may very well have kicked Kunti and the Pandavas out of the kingdom. Where would she then go? She could not return to her father's house, as her place was with her husband's family, even after her husband's death. Kunti was quite helpless and powerless after Pandu's death, and thus I do not blame her at all for keeping silent. She picked her battles, which is not an easy thing to do.

Kunti knew her sons were attending Draupadi's swayamvar but she had no knowledge of them participating in it. Neither did she know for sure that Arjuna won, as they returned home right after the swayamvar and thus, enough time did not pass for the news to circulate. Moreover, it was Arjuna who said, 'See what alms we have brought with us today, mother'. Based on that, Kunti told him to divide the alms among the five as they always did. After she found out the 'alms' was Draupadi, Kunti was horrified and begged her words to be retracted. She never forced the Pandavas to marry her. Her only role in the whole thing was to say those words, that's all. Everything else was carried out by the Pandavas and then Krishna. Moreover, Draupadi was happy to marry all the Pandavas as she felt attracted by them, so she did not marry them against her will as people tend to think.

In regards to Karna, I agree Kunti did make a mistake, and yet this is the first mistake I truly ascribe to her as I don't think she's culpable for anything else. She too was a human. She was not God, so she was bound to make a mistake, like every other character in the epic. I think Kunti approached Karna with the best intentions, trying to push him towards the Pandavas' side, not because she doubted her other five sons, but because she knew the Kauravas were bound to lose, as Lord Krishna's blessings were not with them. As a mother, she did not want her firstborn to die fighting for the unjust Kauravas, so she gave it her best shot to change his mind. When he refused to do so, she begged him to spare her other sons' lives, and I agree this was a selfish decision on her part, but again, IMO it's her single big mistake that she ever did.
wayward thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 8

Originally posted by: Cluny13

Oh! I didn't know that. Kanha might have his reasons. We can't always understand his leelas 😃

That's true, and I think he was 200% sure Karna would refuse. And that proposal of his was just so that he could say when he returned, that he had really put to work ALL his means. :D
RamKiSeeta thumbnail

Originally posted by: KrishnaPriyaa

Vaani, Panchali wasn't an all-suffering person :P 

Yes Shivi, Panchali was no victim, or a woman who always suffered. She was a very happy woman with a wonderful life. She had struggles, like every human being does, but she was no victim. She got along well with everyone in her immediate family, including Kunti. Kunti loved her like the daughter she never had, and Draupadi took her as an inspiration, as Kunti single-handedly raised five young children on her own, without any support from anyone. 

Both Sita and Draupadi had their fair share of struggles, but they came out of them stronger than they ever were, supported by their family members.
RamKiSeeta thumbnail

Originally posted by: Radhikerani

That's true, and I think he was 200% sure Karna would refuse. And that proposal of his was just so that he could say when he returned, that he had really put to work ALL his means. :D

I actually think Krishna was testing Karna's sense of morality by offering Draupadi to him. Any man with an ounce of self-respect would feel ashamed of accepting such an offer, especially since Karna was one of the main people who were at fault for the vastraharan. Even IF Karna agreed to join the Pandavas, he would never accept Draupadi as his bride, because even he was not such an immoral person.
SriMaatangi thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Well said Janu. Every point 👏👏👏
Speaking of Sita, who has heard the term "Neerandro Bhagyashali?"
It is a Tamil translation of Valmiki Ramayana, where Hanuman tells Rama that He is fortunate as He is married to Sita. And Thyagaraja wrote a song called Maa Janaki, which states that Rama is fortunate to be married to Thyagaraja's Maa Janaki. 
RamKiSeeta thumbnail

Originally posted by: KrishnaPriyaa

Well said Janu. Every point 👏👏👏

Speaking of Sita, who has heard the term "Neerandro Bhagyashali?"
It is a Tamil translation of Valmiki Ramayana, where Hanuman tells Rama that He is fortunate as He is married to Sita. And Thyagaraja wrote a song called Maa Janaki, which states that Rama is fortunate to be married to Thyagaraja's Maa Janaki. 

My father learned the song 'Maa Janaki'. He hasn't taught it to us yet, but I'm eager to learn it. It's so beautiful and describes the divine love between Rama and Sita perfectly. They were born human, but their love was of a divine level which mere humans could never understand, and still cannot. 
Siya-Ram thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
I agree Janu Di. Kuntis should have owned up karn was her son during the competition after they come from Gurukkal. She had chosen to keep quiet. She Should have kept quiet till the end. Breaking that silence before the war was injustice to Karn. And as u said Karn for all his wrongs was a respectable person who would have not accepted the offer.
Lot of authors tend to portray kunti as someone who ordered panchali to marry the 5 pandavas because she wanted her sons together. But I think it was a genuine mistake. Moreover it was destiny.
@Pro Di yes Krishna might have done that because mahabharat was inevitable. And war was the last resort only after everything was tried.
@srutha Di can u give link of that song please