Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Jaslove thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Ami FACE OF 2005

Ami Trivedi
She plays the unassuming and ordinary girl Katyayani Purohit aka Kituu in Sahara One's Kituu…Sab Jaanti Hai. In the telly world where big shots like Sony, Zee and Star Plus take a big chunk of viewership, this girl has managed to stand out and maintain her own set of loyal viewers. No doubt the credit also goes to the script and concept of the show, but Ami's acting skills also get equal credit. With a background of Gujrati theatre and cameos in Khichdi and Kumkum, her dazzling smile and twinkling eyes set her apart from the host of new faces on television.

Edited by Jaslove - 17 years ago
Jaslove thumbnail
Kittu Sab Janti Hai on Sahara One and Ek Ladki Anjaani Si on Sony are about the lives of the plain Jane types
Subhash K Jha

If Sony's Jassi reminded viewers of the extraordinary dreams of an ordinary girl, Zee's Kareena Kareena wasn't far behind with its own version of the desi hopeful. And now, two more daily soaps are geared to reap the rich profits of the middle class dream. Sahara's Kittu Sab Janti Hai, which goes on air in November, and Sony's Ek Ladki Anjaani Si, which kicks off a week later, are both about the dreams and travails of the average middle class girl.

While the lead in the Sony serial is played by Kanchi Kaul, the chosen girl on Sahara is Ami Trivedi.

"We auditioned at least fifty girls before we zeroed in on Ami . She fit the bill perfectly. We needed a fresh face, someone able to connect with the audience… It's the story of a middleclass girl's journey in life. What sets Kittu apart is the fact that it's set in the media world. No other soap has done that," says producer Manish Goswami, who's also the man behind Sarrkar on Zee. "We're trying to do something different all the time. Glamorous business families are like dessert at the end of a meal. I want to make serials with real characters. That's where my earlier Kittie Patty, then Sarrkar and now Kittu Sab Janti Hai, score," Goswami asserts.

Does he foresee any competition from Sony's Ek Ladki Anjaani Si? "I'm not even aware of this serial. All I can say is, let's welcome soaps about real middleclass characters," he says.

Tarun Katial of Sony has a different story to tell, "Yes, Ek Ladki Anjaani Si is about a middle class girl. But her journey is so unexpected, and her experiences so far removed from what home viewers have seen so far that we feel Ek Ladki Anjaani Si will crack a new genre among the working-class serials."

* Glamorous business families are like dessert at the end of a meal— Manish Goswami

Jaslove thumbnail

Kituu… in-sync with the trend
Rachna Kanwar

Sahara One Television has come up with yet another daily soap called 'Kituu...Sabb Jaantii Hai', at the primetime slot of 9.30 pm. The story is in line with the current trend of soaps with ordinary looking girls with middle-class values achieving extraordinary success in life. 'Kituu...' is about a girl Katyayani Purohit aka Kituu who comes from a humble background and becomes a successful Television journalist.

The title role of 'Kituu...' has been essayed by Ami Trivedi, a young, vivacious Gujarati girl. Kituu has been conceived as a powerful character of an honest girl whose convictions and integrity are a rarity in today's world. She is a fiery crusader who dreams of changing the world. She is the life of her neighbourhood, her father's pet, someone who is a complete tomboy, talkative and totally lovable.

This full-of-beans girl at the tender age of 20 takes up the challenge to bail her family out of a financial crisis. With her steely grit and determination this 'mohalla' girl becomes a force to reckon with in electronic journalism. She becomes the face of the new generation of young women achievers. Her middle-class values and sensitivities endear her to the masses. She also becomes a role model for the young girls as despite her middle-class morals and views she refuses to be a doormat.

Ami who plays Kituu is a young graduate from Jai Hind College, Mumbai. She has dabbled in theatre for 6 years where she got the opportunity to act with the likes of Tiku Talsania, Homi Wadia, Dharmesh Vyas and Siddharth Randheria.

Jaslove thumbnail

Amit is the first man in Kittu's life!

He played the ever dependable Vishwamitra Kelkar in Star One's Hotel Kingston, now he is all set to make his mark in Kittu's life! Amit Verma plays a spoilt rich kid in the show, who is head over heels in love with Kittu.

Amit plays Rohan Kapoor, the only son of a multi millionaire. Suave sophisticated, he is used to women swooning over him. But he discovers true love when he meets Kituu. That meeting changes him. He falls head over heels for her.

Rohan learns the hard way about love and sentiments and that is his journey with Kituu!

Amit's last project was Hotel Kingston on Star One, which went of air recently. Seen in many advertisements, Amit has also explored the comic genre in
Instant Khichadi.

Jaslove thumbnail

Take Ten: Amit Verma
   By: Haem Roy
   May 12, 2005

Amit Verma
Amit Verma plays Vish in Hotel Kingston and the flirty Raju in Instant Khichdi, both on Star One. Here's 10 things about him...

When is your birthday and what is your star sign?
Oct 6, I am a Libran.

Do you believe in astrology and numerology?
To certain extent.

Where were you born and which school did you go to?
I am a proper Bombayite. I studied at the Don Bosco School, Matunga.

What was your first job? And how much was your first paycheque?
I worked for some marketing experience as a salesperson at a department store. I got Rs 1800 for it.

One thing you are really bad at doing?
Singing.

Where in Mumbai would you rather be staying?
Lokhandwala.

What handset do you use?
Nokia 6600

What car do you use?
As of now, I am using a Zen.

What has been your most embarrassing moment?
I think the most recent one has been when I was supposed to go to a friend's place and landed up at the wrong apartment. The guy recognised me and I left after I had some coffee with him.

How often do you say, "I love you"?
As of now I am single, so I don't use it as much.

Amit Verma

Amit Verma plays the love interest of Kittu in Kittu Sab Janti Hain (SaharaOne) and was earlier seen in Hotel Kingston (Star One).

He will be seen on the big screen in Romila Mukherjee's Detective Naani, a crossover film, in which he plays a cool dude. Here are 10 things about him:

When is your birthday and what is your star sign?
I am a Libran, born on October 6.

Do you believe in astrology and numerology?
I believe in astrology to an extent, but not in numerology.

Where were you born and which school did you go to?
In Mumbai, and went to Don Bosco School, Matunga.

What was your first job? And how much was your first paycheque?
I worked as a sales demonstrator in Shoppers Stop at 19. I was paid Rs 2,000.

One thing you are really bad at doing? 
I am bad at swimming, though I love swimming.

What is your favourite smell?
I love the smell of mud after the first rains.

Where in Mumbai would you rather be living?
I would love to live in Lokhandwala, Andheri (W).

What cell phone do you use?
I use a Nokia 6610.

What car do you drive?
I drive a Hyundai Accent.

Who do you regret losing touch with?
I regret losing touch with my school friends

Jaslove thumbnail

interview of Amit Varma in Bombay Times

My sex appeal lies in my eyes and smile'

Actor Amit Varma has chocolate-boy looks, but now he is concentrating on becoming a macho man, he tells Dhaval Roy

What's your role in Kituu Sab Jaanti Hai?

• I play Rohan Kapoor, a spoilt multi millionaire. But, he's sick of the typical high society and wants some simplicity. When he meets Kituu, he likes her for the fact that she doesn't care about his affluent background. And, I play her first love interest in the serial
Apparently, it's a short role. Isn't it a mistake after playing the lead in Hotel Kingston?

• It's not a short role. If it were, I wouldn't have taken it up, because after playing a lead, it would be a come down of sorts to do a short role. It's just that being a career-oriented girl, Kituu goes away for a while, making Rohan very insecure. It's very much a lead and lengthy role, with a lot of scope for performance later on.
The spotlight will be on Ami Trivedi since she is the titular protagonist, right?

• Honestly, initially I was a bit apprehensive about signing the show because of this. But, then, when I heard my role, I knew that I wouldn't be overshadowed by Kituu. As for the spotlight, I'm okay with the eyes being on her, because she is the main girl.
Aren't you getting typecast as a romantic hero after Instant Khichdi, Hotel Kingston and now Kituu?

• Because of my sweet-looking face, I get offers only for romantic roles, especially after Hotel Kingston. But, I'd like to do roles with shades of grey and also a lot of intensity. I don't want to be typecast in a romantic image.
Now that Instant Khichdi and Hotel Kingston are off air, are you banking completely on just one show?

• As far as serials go, yes, I'm banking on Kituu. But I've got back to modelling, because that's what I started with, and I've also done a music video with Sonal Sehgal. And, now I'm looking at films very seriously, and I'll have a release in Jan or Feb; it's a kids' film called Detective Nani, directed by Romila Mukherjee. I'm marketing myself in films completely now because that's what I'm aiming for.
In Bollywood macho men rule the roost. So, would you be accepted with your sweet-boy image?

• More than just macho men, there is a trend of chocolate boys with big biceps in Bollywood. Like, Salman started as a chocolate boy in Maine Pyar Kiya, and then became this macho man. Also, Shahid Kapur has a sweet face but a good body. So, I'm also working on my body now. I'm sure I will get good work, too, then.
What do you think is your sex appeal?

• Most people tell me that I have very expressive eyes and a good smile. So, I think that's my sex appeal. But soon it will be my body too!

Jaslove thumbnail
TELE EXPRESS

PROFILE: Amit Verma

Nitin Joshi

Sincere, good-looking, honest, talented. A few qualities of actor Amit Verma who has become quite popular on television. Until recently, you saw him in Instant Khichdi and Hotel Kingston. Now you see him in the new Sahara show Kittu Sab Jaanti Hai which is the story of this girl Kittu with Verma playing her love interest, Rohan Kapoor.

The character he plays in this daily is a rich guy craving for love. ''No, he is not a spoilt brat. He is extremely rich so he does carry lots of attitude but he is a nice guy who falls in love with Kittu. It's an interesting character. Something I haven't done before.

Very different from Raju of Khichdi or Vish of Hotel Kingston,'' says Verma who goes on further to explain, ''Rohan is looking for genuine people. He is sick of the cliched society. He has never seen the kind of simplicity that Kittu has and that's what he falls for. It's going good. I am enjoying myself doing Rohan.''

You wonder how much he would be doing in the show considering it's woman-centric and the story revolves around Kittu. ''Well, no doubt it's Kittu's story but I have lot of scope because like I said I am her love interest. And the love story between them is very interesting. There is a lot of scope to perform,'' says Amit who feels the love thing between the two is quite different and not the regular happy marriage followed by problems.

''The show is written very well. It's treated very differently.'' Verma has worked on his look for Rohan which is very different from Raju or Vish. ''You will see me in singlets, beads, jackets, torn jeans...'' reveals Amit an Arts graduate from Mithibai College, who started off with modelling and has endorsed products like Airtel (with Shah Rukh Khan), Surf, Kinetic Nova, Thums Up. His first television break came with Khichdi on Star Plus after which came Hotel Kingston and Instant Khichdi. And yes, in between he did some episodes of Shagun as Dev.

''Khichdi was more of a learning experience and I kept implementing it in Hotel Kingston. But both the shows were great experiences and I will cherish them all my life,'' says Verma.

http://cities.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=158010
Jaslove thumbnail

Kituu recreates newsroom

Visual effect: Edit room where there's a method to the madness
Moving away from the traditional household sets, Manish Goswami's Kituu Sabb Jaantii Hai (SaharaOne) has erected a huge newsroom set at MBC studios, Chandivali. The set comprises a news desk, reporting area, edit room, and other working zones.

Goswami says, "It took us around 48 days to get the entire set up. To my knowledge, this is the first ever set to be constructed based on a news room." Designed by Chokkas Bhardwaj, the look was finalised after visiting the offices of news channels in Mumbai and Delhi.

Headliners: The reporters' area where news comes in first
"Since Kituu (Ami Trivedi) will be spending a lot of time in her new work place, the National News Network office, we wanted to create an environment that looked and felt like a contemporary news channel." 

The approximate cost of the set is Rs 1 crore-plus.

[email protected]

Brainstorming: The conference room, where all bright
ideas emerge
What's on Kituu tonight?

Rohan covers up, saying he was giving money to Kituu to pay for the rickshaw while saving his uncle.

Sudha tells Kewal that now it seems everything will be okay for Kituu as well. Kituu looks at the stuffed toy (gifted by Rohan) and mimics him.

Sanwari tells Kituu about Daksha's call. Next day, Kituu is in the shop with Kewal.

Khabardaar: The news desk, where the information is processed
Rohan comes in, and Kituu is shocked to see him. He hides away from Kewal, and hands her a cell number.

Vicky asks Rohan whose call he is waiting for. Nandini comes and reminds Rohan that they had met a while back.

In the club, Rohan leaves his chair to get some food; his phone rings, and Nandini picks it up. It is Kituu's call. Nandini tells her that she is Rohan's special friend and he's not around.

Jaslove thumbnail

Shubhaavi (Bhabs) woos kids on Janmat!

Shubhaavi, better known as Meera in Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhie Bahu Thi has taken a break from the show is now busy hosting two shows on Janmat, the recently launched channel from Sri Adhikari Brothers' stable.

Shubhaavi: Now on a views channel

She is currently hosting Say Na Something and Picnic for the channel, along with dabbling in theatre.

Shubhaavi came into the limelight when her character in Kyunki...took up the Nandini (Gauri Pradhan) rape case. Her character got further prominence when she was seen in a romantic interlude with Mihir in the show.

"I will have an interesting track in Kyunki in the near future. Because my character had nothing much to offer so they decided to give me a break and that's how I had time to take up Kituu Sabb Jaantii Hai (where she plays Kituu's Bhabhi) besides hosting two kids shows on Janmat ,getting to travel a lot and do theatre," says the model-turned-actress, who recently toured Pakistan for an English play.

So how is the experience of working on Kituu Sabb Jaantii Hai, we ask her -- "Working in Kituu.. is an amazing experience and I have a great chemistry with the entire unit. Ami is a good friend and Manish Goswami has guided me through and gives me a lot of space. I have improved a lot as an actress and my confidence has improved manifold just being with this camp," informs Shubhaavi.

So is she seeing Rushad -- " I laughed my guts out when I read somewhere that I am seeing Rushad and that too just because we went to a party hand in hand which is not true. As of now I am not going around with him and we are very good friends," chuckles the lovely lady.

Jaslove thumbnail

5000 sq ft news channel set for Kituu...

SaharaOne's new primetime show Kituu Sabb Jaantii Hai based on the tale of a simple mohalla girl who becomes the finest women in the competitive world of journalism, has erected a 5000 sq feet newsroom set to capture the essence and buzz of a news channel. The story will now focus on the lead protagonist Kituu's professional life as she takes up a job with a news channel named National News Network and the ups and downs at work front. The over one rupees crore newsroom set situated in Mumbai took 48 days to construct. Head of Programming (Fictions and Films), Kumud Choudhary says, "This is the first ever set of a newsroom to be created on television and it took us around 48 days to get the entire set up. The set was designed by Chokkas Bhardwaj and cost us over a crore of rupees. As most of the serial will be set at the Network office where Kituu works, it was very important to make it look authentic so that the audiences could get the feel of an actual newsroom." The set resembles a real news channel comprising news desks, reporting area, edit rooms, news anchoring studios etc which they have created after visiting various news channels in Mumbai and Delhi. Besides having a brand new office and job, Kituu has got a brand new look as well. She has shed her behnji look and gone in for contemporary fusion wear...