Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 10 years ago

Originally posted by: _Angie_

Consciousness After Death: Strange Tales From the Frontiers of Resuscitation Medicine :

I found the following from that interview quite interesting 😊

"When you die, there's no blood flow going into your brain. If it goes below a certain level, you can't have electrical activity. It takes a lot of imagination to think there's somehow a hidden area of your brain that comes into action when everything else isn't working.

These observations raise a question about our current concept of how brain and mind interact. The historical idea is that electrochemical processes in the brain lead to consciousness. That may no longer be correct, because we can demonstrate that those processes don't go on after death.

There may be something in the brain we haven't discovered that accounts for consciousness, or it may be that consciousness is a separate entity from the brain."

….  "Throughout history, we try to explain things the best we can with the tools of science. But most open-minded and objective scientists recognize that we have limitations. Just because something is inexplicable with our current science doesn't make it superstitious or wrong. When people discovered electromagnetism, forces that couldn't then be seen or measured, a lot of scientists made fun of it.

Scientists have come to believe that the self is brain cell processes, but there's never been an experiment to show how cells in the brain could possibly lead to human thought. If you look at a brain cell under a microscope, and I tell you, "this brain cell thinks I'm hungry," that's impossible.

It could be that, like electromagnetism, the human psyche and consciousness are a very subtle type of force that interacts with the brain, but are not necessarily produced by the brain. The jury is still out."

Originally posted by: tulipbaby53

That was an interesting read. Mainly because it provided a different perspective compared to what I have read and learned to belief. I have read that before we our born we get preview of the life we are going to have, and that's why we have deja vu moments at times.
I read that we also get afterviews post  physical death and we are made to compare how we drifted from the preview. 😊

I personally did not think that we preplanned and chose those events though. I always thought some things we choose in this life, but many things are predestined based on our previous birth debts (karma) and sins. 
We perhaps  have the option to choose how much of the debt  we wish to clear in that particular birth.

I've always believed we were sent down here to become better spirits and develop a oneness with ourselves and God, but I've never been able to answer what caused us to be sent down here in the beginning. Was there a time when we were already at one with ourselves and God? What happened that we had come down here and learn things again? 

I'm young, and I'm always reading and changing my mind about things in regards to God and His/Her ways. It's gets really confusing for me though because as a human being, I'd like to know the correct and clear answer, but there's not always one. 

How do you go about finding the answers?

-Aarya- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Consciousness After Death: Strange Tales From the Frontiers of Resuscitation Medicine :

Interesting article! The unfortunate things is that nothing can be proved and thus we live in theory...
tulipbaby53 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
_Angie_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: -Aarya-

Interesting article! The unfortunate things is that nothing can be proved and thus we live in theory...

If anything it proves that the premise that the brain produces consciousness is on shaky grounds.  ðŸ˜†  Let me also add here  that the  conventional  understanding of the nervous system fails miserably to explain phenomena like telepathy, clairvoyance, distant healing , success rate  of acupuncture , placebo effect of drugs,  and many more.  Since we do not have any  scientific explanation  for such commonly observed  events  it could be worth it to treat any existing belief as a starting point for formulating hypothesis and work on it to  see where it takes us.  At least that approach would be more scientific than simply dismissing everything that is inexplicable.

-Aarya- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

If anything it proves that the premise that the brain produces consciousness is on shaky grounds.  ðŸ˜†  Let me also add here  that the  conventional  understanding of the nervous system fails miserably to explain phenomena like telepathy, clairvoyance, distant healing , success rate  of acupuncture , placebo effect of drugs,  and many more.  Since we do not have any  scientific explanation  for such commonly observed  events  it could be worth it to treat any existing belief as a starting point for formulating hypothesis and work on it to  see where it takes us.  At least that approach would be more scientific than simply dismissing everything that is inexplicable.

True! This leads to many other questions, for example; are we born with consciousness or it's something that develops with age? It is well recognized fact that babies have no awareness of their own state, emotions and motivations, so when do babies get consciousness...

_Angie_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: -Aarya-

True! This leads to many other questions, for example; are we born with consciousness or it's something that develops with age? It is well recognized fact that babies have no awareness of their own state, emotions and motivations, so when do babies get consciousness...

The babies may or may not have awareness of their own state but they respond to sound even while in the uterus. Newborn babies do respond to pain stimuli  and can be seen to smile and even cry in their sleep. Do they dream? They spent half their sleep time in REM stage- about 8 hours.  What could they dream of? No clear answers there.

The cases mentioned in that article and also several others seem to indicate a state of consciousness  in absence of the electrochemical processes in the brain that are believed to give rise to consciousness. If that is true then a baby could have consciousness even before its birth. If consciousness exists before birth, during life and also  after death then it would be more appropriate to say that the consciousness acquired  the birth of a personhood and  subsequently got rid of that personhood   in the form of  death. Something akin to us taking on a user Id on IF and then terminating that Id at a later point in time. The creative ones might even go on for multiple Ids all at once possibly arguing with one's own conflicting points of view trying to reach a consensus with the self ! Sounds wacky enough?