TheGirlofRagas thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 6 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 1 years ago

Declaring I am a partial Jain, Means I am a Vaishnav but because of my mother I am a Jain. Jains don't eat eggs, but few pure Jains don't even eat potato, onion, garlic. In Gujarat almost all the people (including me) are vegetarian irrespective of being Jain or not. Aruna is a Jain. Ask any Gujarati why they don't appear on MC, they say that we might have to cook Non Veg/eggs. Eggs are also non vegetarian for people in Gujarat. We have Gujarati chefs who are amazing vegetarian chefs. 

We saw yesterday's challenge, my whole family was clueless regarding the egg task. Same happened with Aruna. It's a very basic feeling for us. My some relatives even vomit when they see eggs/ Non Veg. Sometimes I feel it's very unfair to vegetarian people. Yes there are vegetarian people who have cooked Non Veg in MC but you cannot expect every vegetarian to cook Non Veg/eggs and show their bravery. People who eat Non Veg can never understand we feel awkward even with the smell of it. It's really unbearable. Some people can easily say that you have to work with the ingredients you haven't worked with in MC atleast, I disagree to it. If I am a vegetarian, then I can work with vegetarian elements with which I haven't worked. Then Non Veg people have an advantage always in front of Vegetarian people. Why? 

Will Aruna cook Non Veg/eggs outside MC. The answer is clearly No. Then why she has to cook such things in MC. Seeing the eggs she panicked, it's obvious for me. The whole task was designed to take the immunity pin from Aruna. Aruna appeared on MC being a Jain/Vegetarian. Very Brave of her!!! If she used the immunity pin, then I feel it's justified. If she knew that she will be going out, inspite of being deserving, then why should she not use the pin? 

Why Vegetarians only have a disadvantage in shows like this. If the vegetarians cook Non Veg/ eggs food, then they gain respect in eyes of viewers/critics/judges. But our inner self will never allow to cook Non veg. 

People in the social media make the videos that be kind to animals and turn vegetarian at least if not vegan. And the vegetarians are almost called timid, they almost lose because of their kindness as they cry over cooking Non Veg Food

I don't have grudges against those who eat, cook Non Veg food. No offense to anybody

Kosha

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sistlagin thumbnail
Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

I totally agree with you

She has knowledge to cook and display so many things but poor person she has the disadvantage of being vegetarian. on the other day she made mysorepack in just 15 mins but the person who continued couldn’t understand it

All participants are cooking in the same way but only a few are cooking out of their comfort zone

They have to be encouraged 

Raina101 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

There’s nothing wrong in her using the immunity pin. The immunity pin is a boon for challenges where you think you can’t do well.

Unfortunately for Aruna, she participated in the show knowing well there will be tasks where she may have to cook with meat, seafood or eggs. And I remember she made a Thai dish with meat. 

If she was so particular about not cooking with meat, seafood or eggs, she shouldn’t have participated or waited till they came up with another vegetarian season. It’s not like it can as a surprise that she’d have to cook with the above mentioned ingredients.

I understand what you’re saying. I’ve turned vegetarian a few years ago and wish I didn’t have to cook meat for the family. But I still do (like many others).

Deltablues thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

What I think is this : People shouldn't be forced to eat or not eat anything barring canibalism, of course.

And I don't think anyone should be discriminated against for food. It is a fundamental thing. However, I don't think they can contractually force anyone to do aomething that goes against their religious freedom without their consent. They cannot kegally force someone to cook with pork/red meat/wine either unless they have signed an NOC. Otherwise, it makes them liable to lawsuits. So, Aruna must have signed an NOC while signing up for the show.

Lastly, baking and most dessert techniques are precise chemistry. So even when chefs bring out veg recipes, they know exactly how eggs or gelatin reacts in a given process. So, while one can become a chef without touching, knowing or even looking at meats. Eggs are too basic for one to not understand even if they don't eat it. 

Edited by Deltablues - 1 years ago
Andakadipatta thumbnail

The thing is with such shows, rounds can't be tailor made to suit the dietary restrictions of one person only. Most of these challenges are signature MasterChef challenges which take place in all the versions of MasterChef. These are the pressure tests of brand MasterChef and the whole idea of the show is to prepare home cooks to look beyond their national cuisine and be ready enough to be able to cook at an international kitchen. And unlike Indian kitchens, since international kitchens do not have such hard and fast restrictions, people are supposed to know how to cook with anything and definitely egg which is one of the biggest skill sets to learn since it is a part of cuisines that involve high technique like French cuisine. There if you have to work you can't say you won't be able to work since you're vegetarian.

I understand and respect Aruna for standing up for what she believes in but I do not agree that MasterChef or any competition should bend their rules because of a contestant's dietary restrictions. That would the most unfair thing to happen in a MasterChef kitchen of all things. Except for the egg chalenge I don't think there has been any round where they have been forced to cook with just vegeterian or non vegetarian food. 

ishan2003 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 8

If you are aspiring to be a world class chef then you should be comfortable cooking with any ingredient in any situation.

No one is forcing her to eat it. Kirti being a vegetarian in season 5 cooked many non vegetarian dishes and won it as well.

You have to be flexible.

Edited by ishan2003 - 1 years ago
Ashley.Tisdale thumbnail
Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 7

If you’re going to be a chef, its of utmost importance to know and learn as much as you can. This includes eggs and all types of meat. 

The Food Production syllabus covers different cuts of meat, structure and preparation of eggs in the First Year. No one is immune to those chapters. Those who did not eat non vegetarian food weren’t forced to, but were expected to cook. Its a part of the study which is unavoidable. 

Same way, Food and Beverage in Second Year contains Cocktail Preps so whether you drink or not, you need to know how to make them. 

If any contestant is coming on Masterchef, they will be given professional training, which includes everything they may or may not consume.

Kyahikahoon thumbnail
IPL 2024 Match Winner 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 15 Thumbnail + 3

This content was originally posted by: Raina101

There’s nothing wrong in her using the immunity pin. The immunity pin is a boon for challenges where you think you can’t do well.

Unfortunately for Aruna, she participated in the show knowing well there will be tasks where she may have to cook with meat, seafood or eggs. And I remember she made a Thai dish with meat. 

If she was so particular about not cooking with meat, seafood or eggs, she shouldn’t have participated or waited till they came up with another vegetarian season. It’s not like it can as a surprise that she’d have to cook with the above mentioned ingredients.

I understand what you’re saying. I’ve turned vegetarian a few years ago and wish I didn’t have to cook meat for the family. But I still do (like many others).

If she made a Thai dish with meat it just means she has accepted it n is not very particular about cooking only veg.

Maybe she was just uncomfortable with eggs. Or maybe She had a choice to skip it this time n so did..when there is no such option she may cook..not a big deal

Raina101 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Kyahikahoon

If she made a Thai dish with meat it just means she has accepted it n is not very particular about cooking only veg.

Maybe she was just uncomfortable with eggs. Or maybe She had a choice to skip it this time n so did..when there is no such option she may cook..not a big deal

Exactly my point. She was right to use the immunity pin if she wasn’t comfortable. 

TheGirlofRagas thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 6 Thumbnail + 4
This content was originally posted by: sistlagin

I totally agree with you

She has knowledge to cook and display so many things but poor person she has the disadvantage of being vegetarian. on the other day she made mysorepack in just 15 mins but the person who continued couldn’t understand it

All participants are cooking in the same way but only a few are cooking out of their comfort zone

They have to be encouraged 

Why this disadvantage? There is a chef named Anal Kotak in Gujarat. Vikas Khanna knows her. She wanted to appear in MC. But she didn't appeared in MC and made her career without MC. Reason she is a vegetarian. Few know her but the reach of MC contestants is much higher. They get the deserved identity. India being a country where vegetarian people stay in a good percentage then why such unfair attitude towards them. It's a whole new case in USA, Australia. 

Why Gujaratis don't appear in MC? They can cook much better than these contestants. Once Vikas was asked which is your favorite restaurant, he mentioned a Gujarati restaurant. 

Coming to Aruna, she almost lost in Bento box challenge because of the protein thing. I don't support her blindly as a fan, but in her mind she also knew that she is loosing this challenge.

Every contestant here is cooking chicken, prawns, shrimp, I feel what different you are cooking? The way you cook chicken will remain the same. But Aruna is not repeating the things even after being vegetarian. 

I appreciate Priya also, cooking Vegan in MC is a tough task. She cooked eggs but it's like she had no choice left. She had cooked eggs before.