Users

Frequent Posters

Niki. thumbnail
Posted: 7 years ago
Posted some edits on another thread.๐Ÿ˜ณEdited by nikii11 - 7 years ago
babur1527 thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

A/N: Dedicated to Niki, Ramsha, Gargi, Mac, Khushi, Nonie, Shailusri, Vidhya, Sri , Tr_eta, Mishi, Niks, Shayamala Ji, Swathi, Spring, Kryztal and Shelly. My dedicated readers and sources of inspiration.

Also Rohini, Medha, Krystal and Kaana. Old loyal CAS viewers who loved Chanakya niti just as much as me. 

And finally my bros BB and Shyam who love Dharma and PS more than me. 

Chapter 18: https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/post/136249046

Titutlar montage credit: Niki11. A round of applause for her. ๐Ÿ‘

Chapter 19: The Aftermath

The night sky was shimmering with the moon and dazzling stars as the wind breezed across the grassy plains. Rajkumar Ashok and his Sena were trodding through the muddy path that lead to the fort. Bhairav was towed behind him with his hands tied. With him was his lone companion that survived the onslaught. Bhairav however was wary of him as much as his captors.

"Please don't kill me!" the lone soldier begged as he was dragged before Ashok who had his sword pointed at Bhairav. "Rajkumar Ashok please! I am a guptchar of Acharya Devrat."

Ashok's eyebrow twitched. "Is that so?" He said without looking at him. "Alright then. If Acharya Devrat vouches for you then I shall spare you. If not. Well. Let's say you will be joining your companions soon." Ashok brushed the dripping blood on his blade with his palm and sheathed it. Bhairav flinched.

"Tie them both up." Ashok barked.

"As you command your highness." Saroj said. "Men fetch the chains!"

Saroj was looking towards the Mauryan Prince curiously. At first he thought that Rajkumar Ashok's emotions had gotten the better of him. But he was calm. Deathly calm. His eyes weren't restless. He wondered what he planned to with Bhairav.

Ashok could see his fort coming into view. Specs of fire in the distance. His heart throbbed painfully as he remembered the fallen soldiers. Your sacrifice won't be in vain my men. I promise you.

Meanwhile in Taxilla

Keechak walked into his room after he had bathed and forced down a hasty meal. The blue linen felt cool against Keechak's torso. A welcome change from wearing the wet and sweaty armor. The smell of the scented candles and rosy flowers wafting across the room was another welcome change from the smell of horses, grime and steel. Keechak spotted Bhamini sitting on the divan looking towards the city that was shining under the dazzling moonlight. Keechak quietly walked towards her.

The smoke had cleared. Keechak could hear his men repairing the walls and cleaning the rubble. The rebellion had almost succeeded. But Nayak had managed to bring things under control.

Keechak looked towards Bhamini. His heart skipped a beat. Bhamini's beauty never failed to take his breath away. And under the moonlight she looked angelic. Keechak moved to touch her face. But Bhamini swatted his hand away. She looked into Keechak's eyes. Her expression was cold and full of hate. Keechak felt as if someone drove a knife into his heart. That cold expression reminded him of his mother's.

"Why Bhamini?" Keechak asked dejectedly. "Why do you treat me like this? I have given you everything a woman can desire. And I wish to give you more. Why do you continue to refuse me?"

Bhamini narrowed her eyes and looked at Keechak incredulously. She shook her head disbelievingly and looked away from Keechak. Keehcak moved in front of Bhamini and knelt before her. Bhamini was taken aback.

"Bhamini." Keechak took her delicate arms into his hands. Bhamini naturally tried to resist but Keechak held on firmly. "You have to answer me today. Why do you avoid me? Why do you treat me with such hatred?"

Bhamini sighed. She looked into Keechak's eyes.

"Why do you even need to ask that Keechak?" She asked. "You are a cruel man who doesn't hesitate to swing his blade against innocent people. You are a ruthless tyrant who oppresses people for no good reason. You are a despot who takes away the rights of people. Even their right to live if you see fit. Even today how many fathers have you slain Keechak? How many brothers and sons have you slain? All for your greed for power. And yet you ask me why I am not loving towards you?"

Keechak let Bhamini go. He swallowed a bile that rose into his throat. He walked towards the rail and looked towards his city.

"Yes. I  oppress people. I even kill people. Innocent or not. I don't know. And truth be told. I don't care. I do this all to take what is rightfully mine. The rights that this Samraj had denied me and my family. I do this all to restore the honor of my family."

Bhamini looked towards Keechak. This was the first time she was having a conversation with her husband. As much as it made heart cringe with revulsion, she decided it was time she made Keechak listen to her.

"If you had proven yourself to be a just and compassionate leader people would have given you your rights. Samrat Bindusar was ready to-"

Keechak began laughing. "Samrat Bindusar. What a joke. That title belongs to me Bhamini. That title belongs to my family."

"What makes you think that?" Bhamini said incredulously.

"I am the son of Dhana Nanda." Keechak said turning towards Bhamini. "The Nanda family are the rightful rulers of Magadh."

Bhamini was thunderstruck. Keechak enjoyed the shock and awe that was etched across his wife's face. But it didn't last.

"So what? He was a tyrant who oppressed people as well. Samrat Chandragupt saved people from his tyranny." Bhamini said confidently.

"Oh is that so?" Keechak smirked. "Fair enough that my father was a tyrant. But what did my brothers do to be treated like they were? What did my sister do to be treated like she was? Or do you believe that sly old crook's tall tale that the Nanda family were all evil?"

"I have no reason to believe otherwise." Bhamini scoffed. "You have given me no reason to."

"The world isn't filled with sunshine and rainbows Bhamini." Keechak smirked. "Do you think the ones I oppress won't act any differently when they are given power? If the Maurya family are so just and fair why am I invited by enemy Janpads to lead their rebellions? Huh? Why does support even now flock to my side?"

Bhamini just looked at Keehcak. Lost for words.

"You know it too. There is no peace or justice in Magadh. Do you know why? Because a weakling like Bindusar rules over it. And whose fault is it?" Keechak asked. Bhamini managed to gather her thoughts.

"It's still better than Dhana Nanda." Bhamini said unsurely.

"Is it?" Keechak smirked. Bhamini shook her head. Her cold expression returned.

"And you think you will restore peace and justice?" Bhamini scoffed.

"Don't judge me Bhamini." Keehcak said dismissively. "You don't know what I have to deal with. What I have to struggle against. Power isn't handed on a silver platter. Powerful men have to be ruthless."

"If Samrat Bindusar was ruthless you wouldn't be alive today." Bhamini smirked.

"Maybe so. But maybe he just did it just to spite me. Maybe he did to show himself as a Mahan Samrat." Keechak said stepping closer towards Bhamini who tried backing away.

"You don't know his intentions. You didn't look into his heart."

"Well neither did you!" Keechak said grabbing her shoulders. Bhamini looked fearfully into his eyes. The way he looked at her frightened Bhamini. Keechak's expression suddenly changed.

"There is no such thing as justice Bhamini. And have I ever been cruel to you? Have I ever tried to do anything forcefully to you?" Keechak said dejectedly. His eyes met hers. The despair in his eyes stirred emotion Bhamini's heart.

"I once tried to be the hero." Keechak said letting her go. "I tried everything. I tried to be good. I tried to be compassionate. Nothing was enough for her. Nothing was good enough for him. Everyone is selfish. If you are good to people, they only take advantage of you. Being good makes you weak." Keechak continued sitting down on the divan. "In Rajneeti. Only the strong survive. And only the ruthless succeed. Nobody is your friend. I learned that the hard way." Keehcak said sorrowfully. Keechak felt something warm and tender touch his shoulder. He looked up. His eyes met Bhamini's. Bhamini was looking at him tenderly.

"Why don't we run away from all this then?" Bhamini said quietly. "If the throne demands blood and violence what is the point of engaging in such things?" Keechak looked into the floor. Bhamini sat next to him wrapping her tender hands around Keechak's coarse ones. This small gesture made Keechak's heart well with emotion.

"It's too late Bhamini." Keechak morosely. "It's too late. They won't let me live if I turn back now." Bhamini sighed and rested her head against Keechak's shoulder. Bhamini was tired of the unspoken war between them. She couldn't make head or tail Keechak intentions or motives. But she felt the despair in his heart. And Bhamini realized that deep down maybe, there was good in him.

Keechak felt a lone tear fall down his cheek. He was afraid to move. It felt like a dream. To feel the warmth of the woman he loved after so long, his heart fluttered with joy.

Days later in Magadh

Dharma, Subrasi and Ahankara were sitting on the divan at the gardens. The royal ladies of the other nobles were sitting across them on the other side of the garden with Maharani Charumitra and Rajmata Helena.

Vasunandan was carrying Ahankara's brother Nakul on his back who was giggling as they chased Drupad, Siyamak and Subhao around the patio.

The storm had passed without causing any lasting damage. The citizens the soldiers were working together to repair the buildings and fix the roads. Samrat Bindusar had gone into the town to personally oversee everything.

Dharma sighed and leaned on the divan. They had just finished putting everything in the palace into order. She closed her eyes. Thinking about her son. Or sons. She placed her hand on her belly.

"Rani Dharma, are you okay?" Ahankara asked concernedly. Dharma shook her head and smiled.

"Nothing to worry about putri."

"Alright." Ahankara said returning the smile. "If you need anything just tell me."

Dharma leaned forward and stroked Ahankara's head affectionately. "Thank you putri. You have been such a big help all this time." And she meant it. Her health had fluctuated the past few days. But thankfully Ahankara and Subrasi were there to help her.

"Ashok will be so excited to hear about his brother." Subrasi said looking towards Drupad. But she wasn't talking about Drupad. And Dharma knew it.

"I hope Ashok comes back soon." Ahankara sighed.

"Keeping company of Rajdrohis." Dharma and Ahankara looked up to see it was Maharani Charumitra and Helena. Subrasi looked towards Charumitra incredulously. Charumitra ignored them and turned towards Ahankara.

"And you can't seem to stop talking about Ashok." Charumitra simpered. "You used to be like that for Sushim. Be careful Rani Dharma. She might turn against your son. You can't be sure when her feelings change."

Ahankara scowled. Before Ahankara could retort Dharma spoke.

"Unlike your imbecile son, my son always keeps the goodwill of people." Dharma said coldly.

"Kya matlab?" Charumitra raised her eyebrow.

"Matlab. My son is not cruel and heartless like yours. People reciprocate according to how you treat them." Dharma said standing up. "Have a bit of shame Rani Charumitra. Instead of attacking Ahankara you should go teach your son a lesson about how to treat people with respect."

"Mind your tongue Rani Dharma!" Charumitra said loudly. Dharma stepped closer to Charumitra and said in a low voice.

"Or else what are you going to do Maharani? Resort to tantra?" Charumitra's eyes widened. Her hands shook with fear and rage. So it was you!

"Maharani Charumitra, do not take me for a fool. I am a Brahmin putri." Dharma continued in a low voice making sure no one else heard her. "I may have been raised on the path of Ahimsa. But I have picked up a few things in my time at the palace. One of those is how Maharani Charumitra resorts to black magic to get her way. What would the Samrat say if he found out that his wife broke one of the most stringent laws of Magadh?" Dharma whispered threateningly.

Charumitra couldn't breath as images blurred around her head. She simply turned around and rushed off. Rajmata Helena smiled at Dharma. Impressed.

"So you have finally learned to stand up for yourself." Helena said with a smile.

"I learned from the best." Dharma returned her smile.

"Good. Good." Helena nodded. "I was starting to think that this would be no fun." And with that she walked away.

Subrasi and Ahankara stood up. They walked towards Dharma. "Rani Dharma we should go back to the palace."

Dharma nodded. "Get someone to send for Ishwari."

Ahankara nodded and called an attendant.

Meanwhile in Ashok's fort

Bharaiv was being tied to a post. Ashok, his Senanayaks and Acharya Devrat stood across him. The soldier that was brought with Ashok was also there. He was Devrat's Guptchar, Abhimanyu. He had managed to sneak himself into Keechak's army. But he fell behind with Bhairav's unit. Devrat had sent him with a message to Sudhama. Needless to say Devrat wasn't pleased with Abhimanyu's capture. But Bhairav being caught made up for it. Bhairav being captured alive and brought here in a humiliating manner more than made up for it.

Throughout the week Ashok lead his men as they funeral rites for the fallen and repaired their defenses. More and more people flocked to their side.

As for Bhairav, they interrogated him day and night for information they could use. But Bhairav didn't budge.

Ashok had decided that enough was enough and ordered the soldiers to bring Bhairav to him.

Devrat was curious. What was the Mauryan prodigy planning? An attendant walked towards Ashok and handed him a bow and a quiver full of arrows. Devrat's eyes glinted with amusement as he saw the horror struck Bhairav. Ashok handed the bow and quiver to Acharya Rudra.

"There is something you should know my friend." Rudra said loudly walking towards Bhairav and he fastened the quiver to his back. "I am lousy at Dhanurveda." It was an obvious lie. But the words had immediate effect. Bhairav was frantically straining against the bonds.

"I told you I don't know anything!" Bhairav cried. His legs flailing. Another attendant walked by with a cloth.

"Hey what are you doing?" Bhairav screeched as another attendant came by and placed an apple on his head. "What are you doing?!"

Rudra simply chuckled as the attendant tied the cloth over his eyes.

"Let's play a game Senapati Bhairav." Rudra said drawing his bow. "This game is popular in Magadh apparently. When Rajkumar Ashok told me about this I couldn't resist to give it a try. You and I have the honor to be the first pratiyogitaas of Taxilla."

"No. No. Wait. wait." Bhairav shouted. Rudra released the bowstring and the arrow whistled past Bhairav's ears and struck the wooden post.

"I told you I don't know anything!" Bhairav screamed. Rudra drew his bowstring again. This time the arrow slashed Bhairav's bruised arm. Bhairav holwed in pain.

"OKAY! I WILL TALK! I WILL TALK! For the love of God stop!" Bhairav broke down into tears. Devrat and Saroj were in fits. Ashok simply sighed irately. About damn time.

Rudra took off the blindfold and handed the bow and quiver to the attendant. He nodded towards Rajkumar Ashok who went towards Taxillian soldier who was howling in pain.

"Alright." Ashok said folding his arms. "Talk."

Back in Magadh

Charumitra was rushing through the corridor. She was absolutely livid. Dharma had crossed the line. Rajmata Helena was trying to restrain her. But she ignored him. She couldn't stand it anymore. She had to talk with Bindusar. The second she heard that the Samrat had returned to the palace she took off.

Rajmata Helena smirked. She subtly provoked Charumitra asking her what Dharma said to her continuously. Despite Charumitra trying to avoid the topic she continued probing. After Bindusar returned to the palace she not so subtly remarked how Dharma will spend the night with Bindusar after humiliating Charumitra. All in one day. And that was all Charumitra could take.

The Rajmata of Magadh smiled serenely as she watched Charumitra storm towards Bindusar's room. Ah, you Mauryans are so short tempered.

The guards outside Bindusar's room tried to stop the Maharani. But Charumitra forced her way past them and burst into the room.

Bindusar who had just place his crown on the golden stand looked up to see his Maharani.

"Apologies Samrat." The guards behind her said with a bow. "We tried to stop her."

"It's alright." Bindusar sighed. "Leave us alone." The guards bowed and left. Now that Charumitra was in Bindusar's room. She didn't know what to say. It infuriated her even more.

Bindusar sat down on his bed and looked at his Queen. "What is it Charumitra?"

"Dharma insulted me!" Charumitra blurted out the first thing she could think of. She immediately regretted it watching Bindusar's expression.

"Oh that's a first." Bindusar said derisively. "What did she say exactly?"

Charumitra didn't say anything. Bindusar shook his head. Charumitra finally found the words to speak.

"And you are not any better! You have been ignoring me for weeks! And you sent away our son, your Uttaradhikari in such an ignoble manner. All for a few mistakes he made? And instead you rewarded Ashok with such honor. That same Ashok who instigated chaos in your Kingdom and tried to murder your son! How could you-"

Bindusar's smouldering gaze terrified her into silence. They could hear the curtains rustling against the pillars.

Bindusar sighed. He reached the table next to his bed. He opened the drawer and drew out a scroll. Charumitra swallowed looked nervously at Bindusar who was fiddling with the scroll.

"Do you know what this is Maharani?" Bindusar asked his wife. Charumitra looked towards it curiously. "This is the will I penned before I left for Ujjain." Charumitra's eyes widened in shock.

"I had designated Rajkumar Sushim as Yuvraj. Rajkumar Ashok as Uparaja. And Rajkumar Siyamak as the future Senapati." Bindusar said looking into Charumitra's eyes. Charumitra was lost for words.

"But as things are Maharani Charumitra I am wondering whether I should change my will or not." Bindusar said looking away from her. Charumitra felt her stomach drop.

"I am considering to appoint Rajkumar Ashok as Yuvraj instead." Bindusar said firmly. Charumitra once again lost her cool.

"You cannot do that Bindusar! You cannot take away my son's right!" Charumitra

"He is my son too! And mind your tone. I am the Samrat of Magadh first and then your husband!" Bindusar barked. "And if you are wondering why I have been treating you the way I am just think about what you have done till now. And you will know your answer. And it's not me who is distancing you Charumitra. It's you who is distancing me. You seem to grow selfish day by day. The first thing you say to me when I voice my thoughts about changing the Yuvraj, is I am taking away your son's right. Is he not my son too? Do you think I am not considering his future either? Do you think that I don't love him?"

Charumitra realized what Bindusar was saying. She tried to amend her words. "He is your Jesht putra! How could you even consider it?!"

"I have to. This decision affects the future of my dynasty. This will decide the future of Magadh. The way Sushim is right now, I don't want him to meet the same fate as that of Dhana Nanda." Bindusar said grimly. "And I am well aware of the possible repercussions of my decisions. If I appoint Ashok as Yuvraj the venom and hatred in Sushim's heart will only keep growing. And you Maharani will only fuel it." Bindusar said looking into Charumitra.

"Kya matlab?" Charumitra asked.

"Ever since Ashok came to this palace you have shown nothing but hatred and disapproval for him. You have done nothing to assuage the anger or hatred that Sushim has towards Ashok. Not one thing. If my Ma Rajmata Helena of all people couldn't stop Bhrata Justin letting his hatred and jealousy consume him, I have no reasons to believe that Sushim won't take the same path as my Bhrata if I declare Ashok Yuvraj." Bindusar stood up.

"I do not wish to make the same mistake as my father. But if Sushim doesn't change his ways he leaves me little choice." Bindusar finished.

"I never realized that a father could disregard his son so cruelly." Charumitra said angrily.

"This does not concern our son alone! How many times do I have to say it? This is about Magadh! I have to take the best possible decision for my people! I have to do my duty as the Samrat of Magadh." Bindusar said heatedly.

"You are a hypocrite Bindusar!" Charumitra screeched. "You claim to love your son but you cast him away for only a few mistakes? Do you think you are perfect? You made a lot of mistakes too! Do you think your father-" Charumitra stopped talking when she saw the dark look in Bindusar's eyes.

"Who are you calling a hypocrite Maharani Charumitra? Who are you to call anyone a hypocrite?" Bindusar growled threateningly towering over Charumitra. The venom that Charumitra spilled had stung a sore spot.

"Who are you accuse me of not loving my son? Look at yourself first. When I came back to the capital 15 years ago after nearly dying I was expecting to be greeted by the loving arms of my beloved wife. But what does she say the second she sees me?" Bindusar asks.

Charumitra could only look at Bindusar stricken with fear.

"She talks of Magadh's Uttaradhikari! She doesn't say that Sushim didn't lose his father. She didn't say I didn't lose my love! She said that Magadh's Uttaradhikari's future was safe! Didn't she Maharani Charumitra?"

Charumitra lowered her gaze. The anger that she felt was long gone.

"Kam se kam Nur ne mujhse prem karne ki koshish ki. It was foolishness on my part to not consider her feelings. I made a lot of mistakes which we all had to pay for. I admit it." Bindusar said turning away from Charumitra.

"But unlike Noor you never tried Maharani Charumitra. You never tried to simply spend time with me out of affection. You were always worried about your power and your position. Even now. When Magadh is threatened by enemies everywhere. Even now when the weight and burden of responsibilities are piling on my shoulders, instead of trying to understand my struggles you are thinking of yourself and your son."

Charumitra couldn't say anything. Tears were falling down her eyes. Everything that Bindusar said was true.

"Do you know what is the most tragic thing about my life? My first love never understood me." Bindusar turned to face Charumitra as she looked up. "And I honestly doubt that she ever will." Bindusar said. His deflated expression reflecting his pain.

"S-Samrat." Charumitra said raising her arm.

"You can leave." Bindusar said turning his back on her. Charumitra reached out to her husband in vain. She knew that she had gone too far today. She held her mouth restraining the sob that came out and walked out of the room. She barely noticed Subrasi as she walked through the corridors. The good natured woman called for her. But she ignored her.

She didn't feel any less angry at Dharma. Or any less hatred towards Ashok. But the words Bindusar said drowned out everything else she was feeling.  Charumitra couldn't bear the pain.

Meanwhile at the Fort

Ashok was sitting with Rudra in his room. It was near sunset. The wooden furnishings glowed exquisitely as the sun rays reflected off them.

Bhairav had relayed some interesting information to them. A large caravan of weaponry and coins was on it's way to Taxilla.

Ashok had instructed Devrat to summon all the rebel leaders. Acharya Radhagupt had managed to convince the King of Mathura who was on his way with a hundred elephants. Much needed reinforcements for the Magadh army. The messenger from Radhagupt also told him that a Khurasani contingent was on it's way.

"Acharya Rudra." Ashok said hesitantly.

"Yes?" Rudra asked.

"You have seen Keechak fight?" Ashok asked. Rudra nodded.

"If you still intend on taking on Keechak." Rudra said quietly. "I will not stop you. However..."

"How can I beat him?"

"You can't." Rudra said bluntly. "Size, power, skill and experience. He outclasses you in every aspect that defines a warrior's prowess. Neither I nor Saroj can beat him either. If you have any advantage over him. It's speed. That too is negligible in my opinion."

"So what I do? I need to beat him!" Ashok said loudly.

"The only way you can beat him is if you outnumber him by attacking him with soldiers." Ashok turned to see Devrat coming in.

"Isn't that underhanded?" Ashok asked. "It goes against the code of Shurveer!"

"Keechak isn't a Shurveer. You have seen how he killed Aadarsh." Devrat said calmly. "And what Shurveerta are you talking about Rajkumar Ashok? We are talking about trying to kill someone. There is nothing honorable or glorious in that."

"What do you mean?" Rudra said looking towards Devrat. Ashok felt annoyed by Devrat's words.

"Then why are we fighting?" Ashok asked. Devrat sighed.

"The battlefield is no place of valor or honor." Devrat began. "We are all killers. Dono paksho mei sirf ek hi antar hai. Aur woh hai Dharm aur Adharm. If Lord Krishna didn't have any qualms resorting to underhanded tactics then why should you? Kya neeti sikha apne Acharya Chanakya se? Everything is fair in war. The only thing that matters is victory of Dharm over Adharm."

Devrat looked into Ashok's eyes. "If Krishna and the Pandavas had obsessed with Shurveerta then Duryodhan would have won."

Ashok pondered over Devrat's words. Once again he remembered what his father told him.

"Rajkumar Ashok," Devrat said earnestly. "I know you want to avenge Aadarsh and Bhim Ji and honor their memory by beating Keechak fair and square. But I urge you to think like a leader instead of a Yoddha. Don't be like your father. Your father remains a warrior at heart. That is why he will never surpass Chandragupt Maurya."

The words stung Ashok. But he knew there was an element of truth in them.

"Rajkumar Ashok you have to be ruthless and cunning." Devrat persisted. "Luck and momentum is on our side. We must make the most of every chance we get."

After a long while Ashok slowly nodded as he grasped Devrat's words. "Alright. Are all the leaders here?"

"They are waiting for you in the council room." Devrat said curtly.

"Acharya Rudra." Ashok said looking towards the Ujjaini regent. "I am appointing you as Senapati from here on out."

Rudra grinned. "Saroj won't be happy."

"Well don't just go bragging to him now." Ashok said as he walked out the door.

"Wouldn't dream of it." Rudra said nonchalantly following Ashok out the door with Devrat just behind him. Devrat smiled and shook his head. Honestly these guys.

That evening in Patliputra.

Siyamak, Vasunandan and Subhao were walking along the corridor. They had just left Rajkumari Ahankara and her brother at their room.

"It has been a busy week. Eh? Vasunandan asked.

"Yeah." Subhao yawned. "I am going to sleep like a horse tonight.

"You always do." Vasunandan said slyly. "The whole palace knows it."

"Shut up." Subhao snapped.

"When do you think Bhrata Ashok is coming back?" Siyamak asked. Vasunandan sighed.

"I don't know your highness."

"Could be a while." Subhao added. "But when he does we are going to Assandh again right?"

"Give it a rest you buffoon." Vasunandan said dryly. "Getting ahead of yourself here."

"Did I miss something?" Siyamak asked bemusedly.

"Subao here is missing Nalini." Vasunandan said elbowing his friend.

"I am not. I just like the weather there. The trees flowing in the breeze."

"And Nalini's flowing hair." Vasunandan said slyly.

"Shut up you oaf!" Subhao said slapping Vasunandan's shoulder.

"Speak for yourself you uncivilized buffoon!" Vasunandan replied shoving Subhao. Siyamak cut in.

"Did you guys hear something?" Siyamak asked them, his eyes frantically scanning the perimeter. He thought he heard footsteps of men and the sound of drawing swords.

And sure enough they saw a group of men clad in black rushing towards them swords raised.

"How many times has it been this year?" Vasunandan remarked wryly.

"RUN!" Siyamak shouted.

Bindusar was lying in bed with Subrasi as he heard the commotion outside. A guard burst into his room. Bindusar threw the blanket over his wife.

"Samrat! We are under attack!" Bindusar got out of bed.

"Get Dharma and everyone into the safe room!" He ordered the guard as he drew out his sword. The guard bowed and left.

"Damn it." Bindusar cursed. Subrasi got out of bed and pulled on her shawl. Bindusar took her hand and walked out the door.

Under attack again. What the hell do I pay my watchmen for?

Hope you enjoyed it. Leave your thoughts below.

Edited by babur1527 - 7 years ago
sashashyam thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Dear Babur,

Now this one is, I hope,  going to be as short as I had initially expected the last one to be. Only it wasn't.  I hope this one too does not get out of hand!๐Ÿ˜‰

This is Ashoka's baptism by fire,and boy, does he come thru it splendidly! So do you, for your pen (I think cursor sounds clumsy, even if accurate) races along as fast as Ashoka's Ashraviu as they charge at the enemy with full-throated war cries. I have rarely seen the heat and dust and the pulsating energy in a battlefield captured so evocatively as in your description of the battle for Assandh.

I am not overly enamoured  of battle scenes, but in this one, the sheer pace of the action does set the adrenaline racing, to match our boy wonder's reckless dash to victory, and it drew me in, unresisting and fascinated. My felicitations on a  very striking piece of writing. Which, I presume, is just a curtain raiser for even better stuff to come!

This apart, let me list what struck me specially.

One, Ashoka has by now come  completely out of Dharma'a ahimsavaadi shadow.

Yes, his fury is stoked by the sight of the dead bodies strewn on the path to the city, and especially by  the sight of the burnt faces of the defenders of the city gates. The flashback to Acharya Chanakya's burnt face is an excellent touch; that is really what whips Ashoka to a white hot rage, his blood boiling and his veins throbbing. But even so, he does not flinch while decapitating  enemy soldiers in one fell sweep. Apart from the one fleeting inner plaint:How much blood do I need to shed?,  he feels no qualms shedding all that  blood and scattering limbs and heads in this dharmayudh. Whereas Dharma would have ruled out killing even in a dharmayudh.

Two, Ashoka is a superb tactician, and a ferocious warrior, who uses his recklessness as yet another weapon against the enemy. These traits are inbuilt. They can be honed by training, but they cannot be created out of nothing.  It is not just the fabled sword  of Chandragupta Maurya that he brandishes - which, by now, seems to have acquired all the mythical qualities of King Arthur's  Excalibur, so much so that even the Assandh Mukhiya recognises it at sight!  It is also that Ashoka himself seems to be almost a re-incarnation of the iconic Chandragupta, in the eyes of the beholders, and eventually in his own. It  is this that will reinforce his inner conviction that he is indeed destiny's child.

And how strong must Ashoka be, even as a teenager - he cannot be more than 16 at this point of time - to not just wield such a heavy sword, but also  to be able to wield it so effectively that he can decapitate a man with a single blow!

Three, Ashoka might muse to himself, in a moment of weariness after the bloody  battle, "
Such was the nature of power. It brought out the darkness in the hearts of those who craved it"  and wonder whether he too would  succumb to the darkness.

But  he need not have feared this. For
even at the height of his Chand avatar, Ashoka will never succumb to the darkness of the heart that grows out of  a greedy, desperate craving for power per se. He might be cruel, perhaps unbelievably so, but  his cruelty will be mostly rooted in the desire for revenge. Revenge for wrongs done to him and to his.

I have a minor confession to make here. I have, after telling myself that I would proceed in an orderly fashion, and would not read the later chapters out of order, so as not to affect my assessment of the earlier ones, taken a sneak peek at your magnificent Chapter 18. Ashoka's having all of Keechak's mercenary soldiers executed on the spot, in a fit of blind rage at the death of Aadarsh, is a perfect example of what I have noted above. This time, the captive enemy soldiers are very lucky,  for Ashoka is  not as furious. So they are merely shackled and handed over  to the Assandhi soldiery.

Four, and last, Ashoka, as you had noted earlier, truly has the common touch. It is not just that he has no pronounced taste or  craving for royal luxury. He  really feels comfortable with those below him in rank in the army, from the Senanayaks to the ordinary soldiers,   and with the common people.

This  is not solely because of his having spent his early years under very modest circumstances. It is again an inbuilt trait, one that is a very useful one for a ruler, for it is seen by the ordinary  citizens as condescension, and is valued as such. It used to be said of Napoleon that he knew the name of every soldier in his army; surely an  apocryphal anecdote, but one that explains why Napoleon was so popular with his troops. Ashoka, making it a point that "
As long as we will fight under the same banner, we will eat from the same plate and we will sleep under the same roof.", will surely be not just admired for his prowess as a soldier, but loved for his identifying himself with all those who fought under his leadership.

Balgovind.  A timid lackey in the imperial stables, the first mitr Ashoka has made during  his early days in Pataliputra. Now what is he up to? 

Shyamala B.Cowsik

QUOTE=babur1527]
Chapter 6(The Mole): https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/post/130134243 (page 11)

Sorry for the delay guys. The earthquake distracted me for a while. Had a tough time writing this chapter.

Chapter 7: The Rescue

Ashok swiftly moved towards the front of his cavalry contingent. Kulbhushan was being brought forward by a steward. Ashok paused as his eyes fell on the familiar figure. He could recognize the frail and hunched over shoulders anywhere.

"Balgovind?" Ashok asked astonished. Balgovind was his first mitra in Patliputra. Memories of the adventures they had when he was just a steward came back. However, since his admission to the royal academy he never saw him again. He tried to look for him and free him from captivity after he became Maha Yoddha. But at the time the head steward told him that he had left after he bought his own freedom.

So why is he here now?

Ashok walked up to his horse. Balgovind was avoiding his eyes.

"Mitra?" Ashok said softly. Balgovind flinched.

"Your highness. Your men are ready." Senayak Aadarsh said pulling his own horse next to Ashok's. Ashok gave Aadarsh a nod and then mounted Kulbhushan.

"We have a lot to talk about Balgovind." Ashok said quietly. "It has been a while Mitra."

Balgovind said nothing. Ashok looked at him nonplussed. He then grabbed the reins and shouted.

"Alright men. Forward!"

Kulbushan exploded ahead as the cavalry of Magadh tried to keep up with their Prince. Ashok felt the adrenaline rushing through his body as his thoughts focused towards the matter at hand.

We need to save as many people as possible.

In the city of Assandh.

The soldiers of Assandh were barely holding off the siege. At first they assumed that it was just a rag-tag band of raiders. But from the tactical discipline, the strength of the siege units, it seemed like they were here to capture the city. Who were they? They carried banners which flew black flags with knives embedded in the emblem.

Assandh was not a city that was well versed with warfare. The city only maintained a small retinue of soldiers that were good enough to deal with the raiders. For large scale warfare they depended on the Kingdoms around them for protection. Taxilla in the North, Ujjain in the South, Magadh in the East.

Sena Mukhya Dhimant, the leader of the city guards, was at a loss at what to do. He had heard that the Magadh army from the capital had camped somewhere around here. But they seem to be nowhere around.

"Mukhya Ji!" A soldier howled. His voice overtaken by panic. "The gates have been breached." Dhimant felt dread take over his body. He heard the bloodcurdling cheers of the besieging army. Dhimant looked down to see the battering ram shattering the gates. His men were fighting tooth and nail to stop them from advancing.

"Rally the men." Dhimant said his voice stronger than he expected it to be. "Shore the gates. We need to stop them."

Dhimant drew his sword. He quickly descending the steps from the keep. The archers rallying around him. Samrat Bindusar, why have you forsaken us?

Senanayak Shunga was looking on gleefully from a distance. He has been waiting for this moment for years. To reclaim the seat of his forefathers. Mahanayak Keechak had given him a blessed opportunity.

"Senanayak Shunga," A soldier to next to him said, "Their gates have been broken."

"Prepare the sacking party." Shunga ordered, "Move the siege engines. Once our soldiers are able to get in, kill anyone who resists."

The soldier bowed and left. As the soldier gave the signal to the men near the gates to carry out his orders Shunga looked on as his archers shot their flaming arrows at the defenders trying to repair the breach. His Ashraviu then charged in and mauled through those defenders. The archway to the city was wide open.

To anyone observing the battle, the sacking of the city was inevitable.

Shunga bared his teeth as the Yunani siege engines moved towards the walls. The Assandhi soldiers have abandoned their posts. Victory was within reach.

A trail of rising dust in the distance caught Shunga's eyes. He turned towards it and tried to see more clearly. As the trail of dust neared Shunga felt his joy dissolve into fear.

Shunga's eyes widened in shock as he saw the red banners emblazoned with the golden lion.

'Wasn't the Magadh army supposed to go by sea?' Shunga thought apprehensively. 'Mahanayak had told us not to worry about them interfering.'

As the Magadh cavalry came nearer he saw it. The sword at the hand of the one  leading the charge. The glare of the blade was as frightening as the legends described it to be. Undoubtedly it was the sword of Chandragupt Maurya.

"No way..." Shunga stuttered his mouth gaping. His Agni Astra Sena were vulnerable.

"Signal our Sena to pull back!" Shunga shouted "The Magadh cavalry is here!"

But it was too late.

Ashok was urging Kulbhushan to charge faster. His eyes were on the battering Ram right on the edge of the archway. Ashok looked towards the burning and bloodied bodies of the guards who died defending the town. A morbid scene that brought back the image of the burned visage of Acharya Chanakya. Ashok tightened the grip on his sword.

"Soldiers of Magadh! Take out all their siege engines!" He bellowed. The Magadh Ashraviu roared as they charged forward with their Prince. They separated into groups going straight for the siege weapons and the archers.

Ashok's group charged towards the battering ram. Ashok raised his sword as a soldier charged forward. And in an instant the soldier's head was cleaved off his neck.

Ashok raised his sword again as he heard the clang of swords, the breaking of shields, the noise of blades and arrows piercing flesh and death shrieks as the Magadh Ashwa smashed through the besieging army.

Ashok swung his sword with ferocity as he charged through the ranks of retreating archers. Memories of the Lakshagraha siege flashing before his eyes. That was the first time he voluntarily killed people. Back then Ashok was haunted by the guilty conscience of the lives he took.

But now Ashok felt nothing but rage.

The skies were darkened by the clouds, reflecting the storm in Ashok's mind. Ashok's sword had turned red with blood.

It wasn't long before Ashok stood at the archway with his cavalry rallying around him. They had utterly destroyed the Agni Astra Sena.

They now stood facing the Cavalry and the Infantry of the enemy. Whose eyes had a mixture of apprehension and rage.

"You Magadh scum!" One of them shouted. "How dare you!"

Ashok remembered the dead soldiers and villagers that were strewn on the path to the city. He felt his blood boiling, the veins on his hands were pulsing. How dare we?!

"AKRAMAN!" Ashok roared charging forward. The Magadh cavalry followed their Prince with equally terrifying roars.

The Taxillian army were not able to execute a proper formation. Ashok's cavalry commander Aadarsh gave the signal and the Magadh Ashraviu lined up into an eagle formation as they charged towards their disoriented enemy. Ashok's blade was once again the first to strike the enemy. With one swift lash Ashok cut through a soldier's spear and killed his adversary instantly. Ashok maneuvered Kulbhushan avoiding the thrusts from the enemy spears and charged into the gaps of the enemy formation. It was so reckless and unexpected the enemy Sena were caught off guard. Before they could close the gap the Magadh cavalry followed their Rajkumar hacking through the enemy.

"Dhimant ji, are you okay?" A soldier asked their disoriented leader. His head was pouring with blood.

"I will be fine..."he muttered, "What is going on?"

"The Magadh Sena has arrived."

Dhimant snapped his eyes trying to focus. He stood up and looked towards the breached gates.

And surely enough. He could see the Magadh cavalry crushing the besieging army. They were ruthlessly killing every one of them. Dhimant sighed with relief. Thank God.

Dhimant's hazy vison caught something that surprised him.  The leader of the Sena was just a youth. And what surprised him even more was that the youth was wielding the sword of Chandragupt Maurya.

So that is Rajkumar Ashok...

Shunga mounted his horse. He had no choice but to order a retreat. He needed to save his army. Or whatever was left of it. The charge of the Magadh cavalry was devastating. Their ferocity sent a chill in Shunga's spine.

"Damned Magadh scum. Curse them." Shunga then whipped his rein. He galloped ahead of his retreating soldiers. He hoped the Mahanayak spares him for this setback.

Ashok dismounted from his horse. Dead bodies were strewn all around him. He took heavy breaths to calm himself.

"Rajkumar Ashok."

He turned to see it was Aadarsh. Behind him the Magadh Sena were standing around the enemy soldiers who were on their knees. 

"These men surrendered to us. What shall we do?"

"Shackle them up and hand them over to the Assandhi guards. For now get everyone to gather the bodies and clean up the city." Ashok said quietly. Remembering what his father did after the siege of Patliputra.

"As you command my liege." Aadarsh bowed.

"Have the rest of my Sena arrived?" Ashok asked looking up towards the sky. He could see the lightning as the clouds clashed with one another.

"They are almost here." Aadarsh replied. Aadarsh handed him a cloth. Ashok took if and wiped the blood from his sword.

"I need to meet the Sena Mukhya. Where is he?"

"Rajkumar." An Aasandhi soldier bowed before him.

"Mukhya Dhimant is being treated by the Vaid Raj. He will meet you shortly."

Ashok nodded. He sheathed his sword and then walked towards the gates. Or what used to be the gates. Aadarsh was next to him.

How much blood do I need to shed?

Ashok knew the answer. Acharya Chanakya had made him aware of the reasons well enough. Blood will always have to be shed. It was the Niyati of this world. The throne of Magadh will always attract the corrupt and greedy. Such was the nature of power. It brought out the darkness in the hearts of those who craved it. Ashok wondered whether he too will succumb to the darkness.

As his Sena halted before him the rain had started pouring.

"We should set up the tents." Aadarsh said as the Senyanaks and Senapati Sudheshan hovered with their horses before them.

"Rajkumar Ashok," the elderly Senanayak spoke up. "I must request you and Senapati Sudheshan to go to the palace. We will set up camp outside."

"No Bhim ji." Ashok replied firmly. "I will be with you guys. I am your leader in all situations. Sudheshan ji you go inside and meet with Mukhya Dhimant. I will meet him tomorrow morning."

"But-"

"No ifs or buts," Ashok replied walking towards the supply carriages. "Consider this my aadesh. As long as we will fight under the same banner, we will eat from the same plate and we will sleep under the same roof."

The Senanayaks looked at one another surprised. Senapati Sudheshan scoffed.

"Bloody rag Prince." He muttered as he trotted away with his horse. Sudheshan detested mingling with the commoners. He was a Kshatriya by birth. He deserved to have his God-given privileges. And it was clear that if Ashok became Samrat he will be deprived of them. He hoped his letter had reached the Mahamatya.

Ashok ordered the attendants to get into the palace as well. He looked around for Balgovind but he was nowhere to be seen.

The winds picked up as the Magadh Sena tried to set up their tents. The storm was growing.

"We can't set up the pegs to hold the tent." A soldier cried over the wind. Indeed the muddy ground was making it difficult to nail the pegs to the ground.

Ashok looked to the forest in the distance. It would have been easier to set up the tents there. But with the growing storm it was too dangerous right now to take his army there. Broken trees could fly at them. And the heavy chariots could not be pushed through the muddy ground. The Magadh chariots were very large. Each of them required 8 men to operate with maximum efficiency. And 6 horses to drive them. And that was through plain terrain on a dry day. But now...

These heavy chariots have become a burden for us...

Ashok looked towards the chariots and then the spears of the Magadh Sena. He suddenly had an idea.

"Aadarsh! Bhim ji!" Ashok shouted through winds whistling wind. "Fasten the tent ropes to the heavy chariots and spears!"

"What?" They shouted back. Ashok dug his feet into the ground and stomped towards them.

"Fasten the tent ropes to the Chariots and spears!" He shouted as he got closer. The Senyanaks look delighted.

"Ingenius Rajkumar Ashok!" One of them said with a sigh of relief.

"Indeed." Bhim ji seconded. "Get the chariots men!"

Ashok and his Senayaks worked through the storm and through great effort they managed to set up all the tents.

Ashok saw the last of his Sena getting into the tent before going into his own. His Senanayaks were waiting for him.

"This was a brilliant idea Rajkumar Ashok." One of the younger Senanayak's spoke.

"You flatter me too much Senanayak Saroj."

Outside the swaying tents, the wind was roaring. But Ashok and his Sena felt adequately sheltered.

"What about food though?" one of the Senanayaks asked.

"There should be some bread in the baskets. They are going to be soggy. But we need to make do with that for now." Bhim ji said apologetically.

"It's alright Bhim ji." Ashok replied. "Soggy breads are a small price to pay for the victory today."

The Senanayaks murmured in agreement. They quietly ate their morsel knowing that it was going to be many long nights in the  months ahead.

Ashok looked outside. It was difficult to decipher anything through the storm. He remembered the nights he spent with his mother in the forest. It used to frighten him back then. But the warm embrace of his mother always calmed him down.

I miss her so much already.

Ashok shook his head. He will have to toughen up. This was just one of the many storms they will have to weather before this campaign was over.

Leave your thoughts below. Hope you enjoyed it.

Chapter 8: https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/post/130673196

[/QUOTE]
babur1527 thumbnail
Shyamala Ji,

Glad you enjoyed the first of the many battles that Ashok will lead.

Ashok's feats so far(and the chapters ahead) are a combination of luck and timing. He cleaved of the soldier's head partly due to his gifted physique, partly due to Chandragupt's sword being perfectly balanced and being one of the sharpest blade, partly due to Kulbhushan's speed, partly due to the first enemy soldier being not that strong. And needless to say mostly luck.

I along with many loved Ashok's recklessness. It is exciting and there was something fascinating about watching Sid-Ashok fighting against soldiers, even though at times it did get out hand. ๐Ÿ˜†

I tried to bring that into the story. And I tried to make it as realistic as possible while maintaining the excitement. Historically Ashok was a tactician first. Then a warrior. His ingenuity and battle intuition are his greatest strengths.

Yes. His campaign in Taxilla is all about character development and how he becomes Chaand with every battle. How he embraces the title of the warrior prince. Every life he takes, pushes him into the void of darkness.

Though Ashok is no longer an adherent of Ahimsa he tries to hold on to his mother's values. But the cruel reality will eventually break those ideals. The first arc of Ashok's life is all about how Ashok loses his ideals in his bloody quest for the throne.

Yes. Great military leaders are always on the frontlines with the soldiers and live a simple life like their soldiers. It's not just Napoleon. Mughal Sultans Babur and Akbar were also frontline fighters who could inspire their soldiers.

However in my opinion the most famous leaders for these traits were Ottoman Sultans. It is said that the Sultans of the Ottoman Empire ruled from the horseback. I plan on making Chaand Ashok something in that vein. ๐Ÿ˜‰

As for Balgovind. He is forgotten in the show. But I have uses for him.

This content was originally posted by: sashashyam

Dear Babur,

Now this one is, I hope,  going to be as short as I had initially expected the last one to be. Only it wasn't.  I hope this one too does not get out of hand!๐Ÿ˜‰

This is Ashoka's baptism by fire,and boy, does he come thru it splendidly! So do you, for your pen (I think cursor sounds clumsy, even if accurate) races along as fast as Ashoka's Ashraviu as they charge at the enemy with full-throated war cries. I have rarely seen the heat and dust and the pulsating energy in a battlefield captured so evocatively as in your description of the battle for Assandh.

I am not overly enamoured  of battle scenes, but in this one, the sheer pace of the action does set the adrenaline racing, to match our boy wonder's reckless dash to victory, and it drew me in, unresisting and fascinated. My felicitations on a  very striking piece of writing. Which, I presume, is just a curtain raiser for even better stuff to come!

This apart, let me list what struck me specially.

One, Ashoka has by now come  completely out of Dharma'a ahimsavaadi shadow.

Yes, his fury is stoked by the sight of the dead bodies strewn on the path to the city, and especially by  the sight of the burnt faces of the defenders of the city gates. The flashback to Acharya Chanakya's burnt face is an excellent touch; that is really what whips Ashoka to a white hot rage, his blood boiling and his veins throbbing. But even so, he does not flinch while decapitating  enemy soldiers in one fell sweep. Apart from the one fleeting inner plaint:How much blood do I need to shed?,  he feels no qualms shedding all that  blood and scattering limbs and heads in this dharmayudh. Whereas Dharma would have ruled out killing even in a dharmayudh.

Two, Ashoka is a superb tactician, and a ferocious warrior, who uses his recklessness as yet another weapon against the enemy. These traits are inbuilt. They can be honed by training, but they cannot be created out of nothing.  It is not just the fabled sword  of Chandragupta Maurya that he brandishes - which, by now, seems to have acquired all the mythical qualities of King Arthur's  Excalibur, so much so that even the Assandh Mukhiya recognises it at sight!  It is also that Ashoka himself seems to be almost a re-incarnation of the iconic Chandragupta, in the eyes of the beholders, and eventually in his own. It  is this that will reinforce his inner conviction that he is indeed destiny's child.

And how strong must Ashoka be, even as a teenager - he cannot be more than 16 at this point of time - to not just wield such a heavy sword, but also  to be able to wield it so effectively that he can decapitate a man with a single blow!

Three, Ashoka might muse to himself, in a moment of weariness after the bloody  battle, "
Such was the nature of power. It brought out the darkness in the hearts of those who craved it"  and wonder whether he too would  succumb to the darkness.

But  he need not have feared this. For
even at the height of his Chand avatar, Ashoka will never succumb to the darkness of the heart that grows out of  a greedy, desperate craving for power per se. He might be cruel, perhaps unbelievably so, but  his cruelty will be mostly rooted in the desire for revenge. Revenge for wrongs done to him and to his.

I have a minor confession to make here. I have, after telling myself that I would proceed in an orderly fashion, and would not read the later chapters out of order, so as not to affect my assessment of the earlier ones, taken a sneak peek at your magnificent Chapter 18. Ashoka's having all of Keechak's mercenary soldiers executed on the spot, in a fit of blind rage at the death of Aadarsh, is a perfect example of what I have noted above. This time, the captive enemy soldiers are very lucky,  for Ashoka is  not as furious. So they are merely shackled and handed over  to the Assandhi soldiery.

Four, and last, Ashoka, as you had noted earlier, truly has the common touch. It is not just that he has no pronounced taste or  craving for royal luxury. He  really feels comfortable with those below him in rank in the army, from the Senanayaks to the ordinary soldiers,   and with the common people.

This  is not solely because of his having spent his early years under very modest circumstances. It is again an inbuilt trait, one that is a very useful one for a ruler, for it is seen by the ordinary  citizens as condescension, and is valued as such. It used to be said of Napoleon that he knew the name of every soldier in his army; surely an  apocryphal anecdote, but one that explains why Napoleon was so popular with his troops. Ashoka, making it a point that "
As long as we will fight under the same banner, we will eat from the same plate and we will sleep under the same roof.", will surely be not just admired for his prowess as a soldier, but loved for his identifying himself with all those who fought under his leadership.

Balgovind.  A timid lackey in the imperial stables, the first mitr Ashoka has made during  his early days in Pataliputra. Now what is he up to? 

Shyamala B.Cowsik

spring01 thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Nice update...
I always like ur stroy or anything written by u..nt dis one is also awesome nd edits are ๐Ÿ‘
I enjoyed each nd every scene bt covesation betn bindu nd charu stole my heart...
Miss sushim nd radhagupta hope will get a chance to  read abt dem in ur upcming updates..

I feel dat dis is da right tym to kill keechak ... I am expecting his dead in upcming chapter ...i feel he should die in upcoming chapter ...
Waiting for ur next episode...nd thnx for pm me...

babur1527 thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: spring01

Nice update...

I always like ur stroy or anything written by u..nt dis one is also awesome nd edits are ๐Ÿ‘
I enjoyed each nd every scene bt covesation betn bindu nd charu stole my heart...
Miss sushim nd radhagupta hope will get a chance to  read abt dem in ur upcming updates..

I feel dat dis is da right tym to kill keechak ... I am expecting his dead in upcming chapter ...i feel he should die in upcoming chapter ...
Waiting for ur next episode...nd thnx for pm me...

Thank you for reading. Pleased to hear that you enjoy my updates. Yeah Radhagupt and Sushim will be in the next chapter.

Keechak's defeat is nearby. Don't worry.
swathi90 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2
Awesome update as usual baburโญ๏ธ,nice edits,rudra s looking handsome๐Ÿ˜‰,bhairav part s really funny he s really coward screaming always๐Ÿ˜†,ashok just knows how to handle bhairav,rudra bhairav scene s really funny,keechak and bhamini conversation s really heart touching,keechak s really a different person when he's with bhamini,none r gud r bad here all r behind power and position,keechak inner conflicts r really interesting,he s right there s no turn back for him now,it's too late to go back for him,bhamini s really righteous woman.
Dharma, charu part s also nice,dharma,ahan bond s really gud,dharma really showed charu her place today,and bindhu charu conversation s another interesting part here,bindhu really gave reality check to charu saying for her it's always about her son and power,he was never there in her thoughts,it's a Gud reality check for her.

Ohh no another attack in palace,what's magadh security for,lol bindhu last dialogue why s he paying for watch men s really hilarious๐Ÿ˜†,thanks for pm yaar,update soon๐Ÿ˜Š
Edited by swathiinduru - 7 years ago
sashashyam thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Dear Babur,

Yes, your explanation for Ashoka's phenomenal success on the battlefield at such a young age is convincing. Of course, even for the  greatest and most accomplished of warriors, luck does play  a vital part in each battle, and if they are also in charge of the tactics, doubly so.

I now realise that I missed something good by giving up on this show after the assassination of Chanakya. I would have liked to have seen Siddharth is these battle scenes on the  big TV screen, not on the monitor of my laptop. I am sure the show will have  re-run once it is over, and I shall look out for that. For now, you have made it so realistic and yet so exciting that I can see it  even without the benefit of a TV or laptop.

But I have reservations about this stepping into the void of darkness mantra, especially since  Ashoka is, as far as has been shown up to now both in the show and in your tale,  not fighting for his personal glory or to attain power. What darkness then? A principled warrior goes into battle to fulfil his  duty towards dharma,  and if he has to kill the enemy in the  process, that too is part of his duty, so long as he is not doing into out of  greed or in the naked pursuit of power for its own sake, like Sushim. In fact, as Lord Krishna says in the Gita, it is a dereliction of duty on his part if he flinches from killing on the battlefield because he is squeamish, as Arjuna was just before the great battle of Kurukshetra in the Mahabharata, which was the quintessential struggle of good against evil.

I do not think it has ever been claimed thus far that Ashoka was greedy for power, only that he wanted to create the Akhanda Bharat of his guru's dream. For this, he has to fight again and again, and kill too, but where is the darkness about this? Unless the show and/or your story are going to take the line that he turned evil inside out, as the Buddhist chronicles of the period often affirm,  including the universally accepted tale that he killed all his  99 brothers to get to the throne, which is a deliberate exaggeration for Buddhist political purposes that can be readily understood.

As for his mother's ideals, they are undoubtedly sincere and noble, but the only end result of their being adhered to in toto would have been the total destruction of all the good people and the final, definitive triumph of evil. If Gandhiji had been leading his struggle for Indian independence against Hitler or Stalin, he would have been rounded up and executed on Day  1, and that would have been the end of it (then the revolutionaries like Bhagat Singh would have taken over). I am sure Churchill must have wished many a time that he could do something like that, for he  hated Gandhiji with a virulent hatred, and Indians too. The great Bengal famine during WW II was a deliberate Churchillian creation.

So, I do not see why Ashoka  should be  assessed  in this context. He cannot possibly live up to his mother's ideals, for they are set in stone and non-negotiable. Saints, or those near sainthood are always like that! She reminds me of the famous saying attributed to King Francis I of France. God is the greatest politician, for he promises all the rewards in the after life. She would not mind if her son was killed as an ahimsavaadi, at least that is what she was like till I was there. She used to make me grit my teeth, to the detriment of the enamel and the  profit of my dentist.๐Ÿ˜‰

But the problem with this is that it is not only Ashoka's life that is at stake, but the lives of the millions whom it is his duty to protect. As Chanakya says, ahimsa  cannot survive without first going thru the path of  himsa. I would add that ahimsa, to survive, needs the ever present potential for himsa,  as a protective wall that  keeps evil at bay.

Which is probably why the ones most celebrated in folk tales and song down the ages are  the great warriors, not so much the saints who dot our millennial history. For the common folk are concerned most of all with their security, and the protection that lets them lead relatively  peaceful lives

Finally,  what happened to Ashoka's pristine pure ahimsavaadi Akhand  Bharat empire? It collapsed less than 50  years after his death, and his millions of subjects were left to the mercies of what came after. And with that died Chanakya's dream. So much for the combo of Akhanda Bharat and ahimsa.

OK, enough of that. Apart from the Mughal emperors like Babur and Akbar, who fought in and led all their major campaigns, Akbar till he reached middle age, it was also said of Chengiz Khan that he practically lived on horseback, as did his Mongol warriors.  That is how they controlled those vast steppes. Which of the Ottoman sultans was the most famous as a warrior?

Shyamala B.Cowsik

This content was originally posted by: babur1527

Shyamala Ji,

Glad you enjoyed the first of the many battles that Ashok will lead.

Ashok's feats so far(and the chapters ahead) are a combination of luck and timing. He cleaved of the soldier's head partly due to his gifted physique, partly due to Chandragupt's sword being perfectly balanced and being one of the sharpest blade, partly due to Kulbhushan's speed, partly due to the first enemy soldier being not that strong. And needless to say mostly luck.

I along with many loved Ashok's recklessness. It is exciting and there was something fascinating about watching Sid-Ashok fighting against soldiers, even though at times it did get out hand. ๐Ÿ˜†

I tried to bring that into the story. And I tried to make it as realistic as possible while maintaining the excitement. Historically Ashok was a tactician first. Then a warrior. His ingenuity and battle intuition are his greatest strengths.

Yes. His campaign in Taxilla is all about character development and how he becomes Chaand with every battle. How he embraces the title of the warrior prince. Every life he takes, pushes him into the void of darkness.

Though Ashok is no longer an adherent of Ahimsa he tries to hold on to his mother's values. But the cruel reality will eventually break those ideals. The first arc of Ashok's life is all about how Ashok loses his ideals in his bloody quest for the throne.

Yes. Great military leaders are always on the frontlines with the soldiers and live a simple life like their soldiers. It's not just Napoleon. Mughal Sultans Babur and Akbar were also frontline fighters who could inspire their soldiers.

However in my opinion the most famous leaders for these traits were Ottoman Sultans. It is said that the Sultans of the Ottoman Empire ruled from the horseback. I plan on making Chaand Ashok something in that vein. ๐Ÿ˜‰

As for Balgovind. He is forgotten in the show. But I have uses for him.

Edited by sashashyam - 7 years ago
babur1527 thumbnail
You might want to ask for an episode guide from BB or Shyam. Some EPs are headache inducing. But overall it was exciting track. ๐Ÿ˜†

There is more than one path that leads to the void of darkness. Not just pursuing power for Greed. Power is such a thing that it can change the noblest of souls. Even prophesied heroes. Just ask Darth Vader. The most iconic villain in Cinema.

Ashok's psyche is starting to tread on a thin line between altruism and egoism.

For now Ashok is an altruistic individual who helps others for unselfish reasons. But that will change. I don't want to spoil anything. All I can say for now is people can be selfish in various ways.

The other factor is Ashok is losing his manavta. You will notice that after each battle the attitude towards the lives he has personally taken changes. And bit by bit Ashok will lose more of his humanity.

(On a related note butchers in the Ottoman Empire were sent on a paid vacation where they looked after gardens. It is a process to rehabilitate their humanity)

Speaking of the Ottoman Empire the first ten Sultans were warrior Sultans. One of them, Murad died in one of the most epic battles of Central Europe.

This content was originally posted by: sashashyam

Dear Babur,

Yes, your explanation for Ashoka's phenomenal success on the battlefield at such a young age is convincing. Of course, even for the  greatest and most accomplished of warriors, luck does play  a vital part in each battle, and if they are also in charge of the tactics, doubly so.

I now realise that I missed something good by giving up on this show after the assassination of Chanakya. I would have liked to have seen Siddharth is these battle scenes on the  big TV screen, not on the monitor of my laptop. I am sure the show will have  re-run once it is over, and I shall look out for that. For now, you have made it so realistic and yet so exciting that I can see it  even without the benefit of a TV or laptop.

But I have reservations about this stepping into the void of darkness mantra, especially since  Ashoka is, as far as has been shown up to now both in the show and in your tale,  not fighting for his personal glory or to attain power. What darkness then? A principled warrior goes into battle to fulfil his  duty towards dharma,  and if he has to kill the enemy in the  process, that too is part of his duty, so long as he is not doing into out of  greed or in the naked pursuit of power for its own sake, like Sushim. In fact, as Lord Krishna says in the Gita, it is a dereliction of duty on his part if he flinches from killing on the battlefield because he is squeamish, as Arjuna was just before the great battle of Kurukshetra in the Mahabharata, which was the quintessential struggle of good against evil.

I do not think it has ever been claimed thus far that Ashoka was greedy for power, only that he wanted to create the Akhanda Bharat of his guru's dream. For this, he has to fight again and again, and kill too, but where is the darkness about this? Unless the show and/or your story are going to take the line that he turned evil inside out, as the Buddhist chronicles of the period often affirm,  including the universally accepted tale that he killed all his  99 brothers to get to the throne, which is a deliberate exaggeration for Buddhist political purposes that can be readily understood.

As for his mother's ideals, they are undoubtedly sincere and noble, but the only end result of their being adhered to in toto would have been the total destruction of all the good people and the final, definitive triumph of evil. If Gandhiji had been leading his struggle for Indian independence against Hitler or Stalin, he would have been rounded up and executed on Day  1, and that would have been the end of it (then the revolutionaries like Bhagat Singh would have taken over). I am sure Churchill must have wished many a time that he could do something like that, for he  hated Gandhiji with a virulent hatred, and Indians too. The great Bengal famine during WW II was a deliberate Churchillian creation.

So, I do not see why Ashoka  should be  assessed  in this context. He cannot possibly live up to his mother's ideals, for they are set in stone and non-negotiable. Saints, or those near sainthood are always like that! She reminds me of the famous saying attributed to King Francis I of France. God is the greatest politician, for he promises all the rewards in the after life. She would not mind if her son was killed as an ahimsavaadi, at least that is what she was like till I was there. She used to make me grit my teeth, to the detriment of the enamel and the  profit of my dentist.๐Ÿ˜‰

But the problem with this is that it is not only Ashoka's life that is at stake, but the lives of the millions whom it is his duty to protect. As Chanakya says, ahimsa  cannot survive without first going thru the path of  himsa. I would add that ahimsa, to survive, needs the ever present potential for himsa,  as a protective wall that  keeps evil at bay.

Which is probably why the ones most celebrated in folk tales and song down the ages are  the great warriors, not so much the saints who dot our millennial history. For the common folk are concerned most of all with their security, and the protection that lets them lead relatively  peaceful lives

Finally,  what happened to Ashoka's pristine pure ahimsavaadi Akhand  Bharat empire? It collapsed less than 50  years after his death, and his millions of subjects were left to the mercies of what came after. And with that died Chanakya's dream. So much for the combo of Akhanda Bharat and ahimsa.

OK, enough of that. Apart from the Mughal emperors like Babur and Akbar, who fought in and led all their major campaigns, Akbar till he reached middle age, it was also said of Chengiz Khan that he practically lived on horseback, as did his Mongol warriors.  That is how they controlled those vast steppes. Which of the Ottoman sultans was the most famous as a warrior?

Shyamala B.Cowsik