Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

babur1527 thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 7 years ago

Well I did say I will update on Thursday. πŸ˜› πŸ˜† 

A/N: Dedicated to Niki, Ramsha, Gargi, Mac, Khushi, Nonie, Shailusri, Vidhya, Sri , Tr_eta, Crazyforsarun and Shelly. My dedicated readers and sources of inspiration.

Also Rohini, Medha, Krystal and Kaana. Old loyal CAS viewers who loved Chanakya niti just as much as me. 

And finally my bros BB and Shyam who love Dharma and PS more than me. 

Chapter 17: https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/post/136004202

Chapter 18: The Mahanayak of Taxilla

Keechak raised his arm, signalling the catapults and the onagers to fire.

Rudra from the corner of his eyes spotted the catapults firing.

"Take cover!" Rudra shouted vainly trying to warn everyone. All he could do is stare in horror as bodies were crushed under the raining stones and rubble.

Ashok looked back thunderstruck as his men lay injured writhing in pain. Watching the pained expressions on their bloodstained faces Ashok lost control of himself.

"CHARGE OUT! KILL THEM ALL! KILL THEM ALL!"

His soldiers shared his rage. Senapati Bhim and Rudra tried to draw them back but all them charged out. Ashok climbed over Kulbhushan and followed his men. The remaining cavalry divisions joined the fray.

Keechak bared his teeth. Just as he expected the Magadh Sena rushed out in blind rage. His siege engines kept pummeling. And his archers were training their bows ready to fire.

Ashok led his men straight towards the siege engines on the edge of the fort. They smashed all the catapults and onagers but they were surrounded. Rational thought was far away from Ashok's mind. Ashok knew deep down he was leading his soldiers into death. But the reckless side of him would rather have him die with his soldiers out on the field than letting them be crushed to death.

Ashok went straight for the siege engines. He and his royal guards hacked through the soldiers next to the catapults.

Bhim Ji looked on in despair as Rajkumar Ashok led the army out into a clear trap. He could see Keechak's army moving in to surround them once again.

Ashok and his soldiers clashed with their opponents. The pitched battle was getting intense.

Keechak, Mahanand and Bhairav observed from the distance as victory seemed to be within reach. Once the Magadh army was surrounded, they had no way out.

"Tell the soldiers to remain on their guard." Keechak said calmly. "We cannot take any chances."

Barely the words left Keechak's mouth and he saw a cavalry contingent coming into his field of view.

"Senapati Ji! Look!" a soldier cried.

Bhim Ji looked out to see a contingent of Ashwa galloping towards them. As they drew nearer his heart soared with joy.

"Aadarsh is back!"

And the valiant cavalry commander led the forces of Magadh as they charged towards the battle. They converged with their prince. They trapped the enemy between two flanks before they could respond. The attempted encirclement was easily sliced through.

Ashok stopped beside Aadarsh as the Magadh army converged against the withdrawing army of Taxilla who were reforming their lines.

"Alright archers. Line up! Fire at will" Bhim Ji shouted. Miraculously once again, a reckless move by Rajkumar Ashok turned into a decisive move by a stroke of luck.

He is destined for greatness. No doubt about it.

"What is going on?!" Keechak yelled in frustration. Shunga told him that the Magadh army was capable of breaking out of the encirclement. And his army back then was superior.

His current forces made a fine appearance. But they were mercenaries. Not conventional soldiers. There were limits to what he could do with them. But it didn't matter if the Magadh army was divided. Keechak had hoped that the Magadh cavalry divisions would be out of the battle. Without them if the Magadh infantry were drawn into a pitched battle, they held the advantage. But it seemed that the blind charge by the young Prince wasn't so blind after all. Shunga had failed him once again. He saw the forces he sent to the Hindu Kush limping towards him.

"You are late." Ashok greeted Acharya Devrat who seemed fatigued. But ready to battle like the rest of his companions.

"Kuch atithi haame aane nehi dena chahte the." Devrat smiled. Ashok chuckled. Saroj was already lining up the Magadh infantry as they prepared to fight once again. Despite the Taxillians having the numerical superiority, the momentum was with the Magadh army. The Taxillian army couldn't concentrate their forces and were struggling to form up. The sudden arrival of the Magadh cavalry had thrown them into disarray.

"Alright men! It's time to crush them!" Ashok shouted. The Magadh army responded with roars.

Rudra was lining up the catapults at the fort, while Bhim Ji positioned the archers to support Rajkumar Ashok.

"Ready when you are Bhim Ji." Rudra shouted.

"Alright." Bhim Ji shouted back. "Now!"

Ashok and Devrat looked on as the catapults from the fort decimate Keechak's forces that were trying to form up. The archers took out the soldiers scrambling to evade the onslaught.

As Keechak saw his soldiers yet again outmaneuvered by the Magadh soldiers he decided that he stood idle long enough.

"Let's go." Keechak said climbing his chariot. "We are attacking the fort. Shunga, Bhairav. Keep the Magadh scum busy."

Shunga and Bhairav nodded and rallied their men.

Keechak led his division of chariots towards the fort. They were fast and light. His target was the Magadh archers.

Bhim Ji noticed a contingent of archers moving towards them. He ordered his archers to prepare themselves.

Ashok noticed the force moving towards the fort.

"Men move to protect the archers!" Ashok ordered. He took a spear from a soldier. Aadarsh and Saroj repeated the orders. The Magadh army swiftly changed their direction and began moving. However a horde of spearmen stood in their way.

"Saroj. Engage them and keep them busy." Ashok ordered. "Aadarsh we will attack from the other side."

Ashok lead Aadarsh and his royal guard towards the other direction. They were going to round about the fort and intercept Keechak from the other side.

Keechak led his chariots through the rain of arrows. Their transports were swift enough to evade most of the arrows and armored well enough to deflect the arrows that they didn't evade. Keechak had his eyes on the fort commander. Keechak raised his bow as he got within range. Bhim Ji noticed archer that was aiming for him. He smiled. A challenge?

Bhim Ji and Keechak trained their bows at one another ready to fire. Their respective archers and charioteers also prepared to fire. Both sides had their own advantages and disadvantages made them more or less evenly matched. With the rest of the army clashing elsewhere it was the battle of archers. They fired simultaneously. A whirlwind of arrows covered their eyes. Bhim Ji immediately ducked down after firing. Keechak did the same. Bhim Ji looked around to see that although his archers managed to dodge the arrows, they arched over them and hit the soldiers within the fort. He could see Gautam and Dhadeech struck with arrows. The wounds weren't fatal. Fortunately.

Saroj and Devrat lead the Magadh infantry as they clashed against the Taxillian soldiers lead by Bhairav and Shunga. They were held at a deadlock. Devrat spotted Bhairav the distance. The incompetent lackey was issuing random orders which his soldiers ignored.

"Can you do us all a favor and take that rascal out?" Devrat asked Saroj.

"I can certainly try." Saroj said with a smirk as he readied his spear.

Bhim Ji stood up. He had to take a gamble. "All archers. Aim for the lead chariot."

They tried to fire but Keechak's archers began firing in earnest. The archers ducked down barely managing to dodge the arrows. Bhim Ji decided to risk it all in the next exchange. After the rain of arrows blitzed past him, he stood up aiming directly for Keechak.

Keechak spotted the Magadh Senapati aiming for him. He also drew his bowstring.

Time seemed to slow around them. They were close enough to recognize each other. Keechak repressed a twinge of regret in his heart. Winners are ruthless.

Both warriors fired at once. The arrows shot towards one another like lightning. Keechak barely registered the arrow that whistled past his ear. However it was not the same for Bhim Ji. A dozen arrows pieced his body. Bhim Ji saw his vision blurring. He closed his eyes. The joyous faces of his family flashed before him. The blinding pain remained only for a moment. His body felt cold and numb. He could hear the screams of despair. But they seemed far way. He felt himself swaying and falling over the pit. The last thing he could feel was the gentle breeze that seemed to guide him towards the afterlife.

Ashok rounded around the fort just to see Bhim Ji falling down the fort walls. The Magadh Sena were thunderstruck. Saroj was frozen to the spot in disbelief.

"NO!" Ashok cried in despair. Keechak's soldiers cheered and jeered at the Magadh soldiers who were firing indiscriminately. None of their arrows reached their mark. Ashok gritted his teeth and tightened the grip on his spear. He grabbed the reins of Kulbhushan and charged for the contingent of chariots.

"Rajkumar Ashok! Don't!" Aadarsh shouted.

Shunga spotted the Magadh Ashwa heading for the Mahanayak.

"Men rally to me!" Shunga shouted as he rushed to aid his leader. The soldiers of Taxilla scrambled to obey.

Ashok had his sight sets on Keechak. He was finally close enough to see his face. He looked nothing like the monster in his nightmares. If anything he seemed like a heroic figure. His eyes however were laced with cold fury. Keechak trained his bow towards Ashok and fired. Kulbushan without Ashok's command leaped to the side and dodged the arrow. Kulbhusan at Ashok's urging hurtled towards Keechak who prepared to fire again.

Ashok without hesitation hurled the spear at him. Keechak ducked down barely avoiding the spear. He noticed that his bowstring was cut.

"Why that imbecile!" Keechak growled. He drew his sword. He got up only to see a blade swinging towards him. He instinctively parried it. His eyes met the young warrior's glowering gaze for a second. The hair on Keechak's neck stood up as he saw the blade he once wielded.

Ashok turned Kulbhushan around and chased after Keechak. Aadarsh and the other Ashwa clashed against the chariots. The chariots weren't heavy and large as the Magadh chariots normally would be. So the horsemen could attack them head on.

Just as Ashok was about to catch up to Keechak, a familiar hammer swung from the side. He raised his blade to block the strike from the lumbering Greek giant. He was thrown off Kulbhusan once again.

Aadarsh spotted Andromechus attacking Rajkumar Ashok. He turned his Ashwa around and charged towards them.

Ashok was stunned by the impact. He could barely register Andromechus readying his hammer to deliver the spine crushing blow.

But before he could do anything Aadrash hurled his spear and it went straight through the lumbering giant's arm. Andromechus yelped in pain. He moved away and retreated towards the converging Taxillian soldiers. Keechak stood ahead, his sword ready at his hands.

Aadarsh and his cavalry converged ahead of Ashok who was trying to regain his footing. Aadarsh drew another spear ready to fire. They were lined up against Keechak and his elite guards who stood with their weapons ready.

"I will finish this here and now." Keechak said as his swishing his sword as he descended from his chariot. "Stand down soldiers." Keechak shouted.

"What are you doing Mahanayak? Let's finish them." Keehcak rounded on Mahanand.

"SILENCE! YOU DARE QUESTION MY ORDERS?" Mahanand fell silent. He threw dark looks at Keechak who didn't spare him a glance. He turned towards the Magadh soldiers and raised his sword towards them.

"Is there anyone who can fight me one on one?" Keechak shouted. "Where is your Rajkumar? Huh? Come out Maha Yoddha. Show me your skill."

Aadarsh descended from his mount. He handed his spear to his compatriot. "Varun," he said the long haired soldier with a wiry build. "Protect Rajkumar Ashok."

Ashok who had snapped out of his daze began moving towards Keechak.

"No Rajkumar Ashok." Aadarsh said stepping before him. "Let me handle this."

"But-" Ashok protested.

"You will have to trust me." Aadarsh said earnestly. "Please. Don't be reckless." Ashok remembered his father's words. And the duel he had with him. Ashok clenched his fists in frustration. The impact from Andromechus's hammer had flared up the pain in his chest once more.

"Alright." Ashok conceded. Aadarsh bowed and drew his sword. He turned around and advanced towards Keechak.

Keechak steeled his eyes and appraised the approaching Magadh Senanayak. His interest piqued. Finally a worthy opponent?

"No. Mahanayak. No." Shunga thought as he rushed towards his leader. His soldiers scrambling to keep up at his wake.

"You!" Keechak said pointing his sword at Aadarsh. "What is your name warrior?"

"Aadarsh." He replied gruffly.

"So you are challenging me to a single combat?" Keechak smirked. Aadarsh didn't reply. He merely raised his sword.

"Alright then." Keechak stepped forward. The fighters stood facing each other not moving.

Ashok looked at the proceedings with apprehension but also anticipation. He was eager to see Chanakya's former student fight. He nursed his chest. The pain was only slight. Fortunately.

The two fighters sized up one another. Keechak gripped his blade as he prepared his move. But the next second, his opponent turned into a blur.

Keechak's eyes strained with concentration as he blocked a powerful overhead strike from the Magadh warrior. Keechak twisted his body as he deflected the strike unable to block it completely. Aadarsh didn't let up. He turned around slashing at Keechak's neck who moved away. Keechak could feel the force of the blade as it ghosted before his eyes.

He is powerful.

Keechak bared his teeth. He raised his blade ready for the next move. Keechak sidestepped Aadarsh's blade as it descended on him. Aadarsh suddenly felt dread creep up his spine as Keechak turned into a blur.

Ashok was barely keeping up with the movements of the duelists. He ignored the glee and cheers of the fighters around him.

Keechak's movements were staccato. And his bladework was crisp and efficient. However the power and technique of Aadarsh was astounding. Any lesser warrior would have fallen already. Keechak thrust his blade at Aadarsh's neck. Aadarsh dug his foot into the ground and swung his blade aiming for Keechak's chest. Keechak paused midway jumped away as Aadarsh's blade grazed his breast plate. Normally Aadarsh would follow up with an attack but there was something unsettling about Keechak who was now completely focused.

Keechak smiled. "After all this time Magadh has finally been able to produce a warrior that can keep up with me. I was losing hope. I thought Bindusar and I were the last of the real men to be taught by Chanakya. But that sly old fox has dug out another fool to fight for his schemes."

Aadarsh didn't say anything. He caught his breath as his mind tried to form his next move.

"You are a brave and powerful warrior." Keechak continued. "You should be fighting by my side instead of protecting that cowardly prince of yours. This battle is as good as mine. So why not join the winning side?"

Aadarsh's mouth curled into smiled. "There is no need for Rajkumars to risk themselves for battles when they have wars to win. Soldiers can be replaced. Leaders cannot. And battles are merely means to win the war. They are not the be all and end all."

Keechak's face broke into a genuine smile. "An honorable warrior with insight. How unfortunate that you have fallen for that petty old man's words. However if you had sold out your loyalty just for the sake of surviving I would have lost my respect for you."

Keechak sighed as he gripped his blade. He bent his knees ready to attack. "So out of respect for your valor and loyalty. I shall give you an honorable death. It's a shame that a warrior with such valor has to perish. But I guess it can't be helped."

Aadarsh smirked. He gripped his blade and charged forward. Keechak kicked off the ground and raised his blade. The two blades met with a thundering clang. Both fighters were hurled away from one another. Neither of them paused. They leaped towards each other and turned into a blur of blade and dust.

Keechak swatted away a lash and thrust his blade directly at Aadarsh's neck. Aadarsh ducked and rammed his shoulder into Keechak's chest, who was hurled back by Magadh warrior's powerful frame. Keechak tried to gain his balance but in an instant Aadarsh was swinging his blade at Keechak's neck. Keechak raised his blade to block the slash. There was flash and a loud clang.

Ashok saw Keechak's sword whistling in the wind. Keechak lay helpless on the ground. His eyes were wide with shock. He couldn't move his body.

Without a word Aadarsh raised his blade to finish Keechak off. Ashok's fists were clenched with anticipation and elation. The battle was over.

But in the next second an arrow bolted through the air and struck Aadarsh in the chest. Aadarsh could only look around for his attacker before he was successively struck with more arrows. Blood trickled down his mouth as he tried to strike Keechak with his blade as he fell. But more arrows struck him and he hurled away. Ashok couldn't do anything except watch the best warrior in his sena fell to the ground with a thud as his life faded away. Ashok's mind was overtaken by uncontrollable despair as he screamed, his voice cracking.

The Magadh soldiers without any warning drew their swords and charged towards Keechak.

"Get that scum!" One of the warriors shouted. The soldiers of Taxilla stepped forward defending their motionless Mahanayak from the oncoming Magadh Sena. The Magadh soldiers shouted and cursed as they attempted to hack through the Taxillian army.

"You lowlife traitors!"

"You will pay for this!"

Ashok stood rooted to the spot as the soldiers clashed ahead of him. He couldn't believe it. Aadarsh had won it all. And yet he lay on the ground, bleeding to death.

Ashok barely registered Saroj who charged towards the Taxillian army with a maniacal roar. Both sides were in total disorder. The battle had turned into a chaotic brawl.

Shunga stopped the chariot next to Keechak. Keechak was frozen. His eyes were dazed out of focus. His mind oblivious to his surroundings.

"Mahanayak! Get on! Now!" He shouted.

Keechak shook his head as the words of his Senapati finally reached his ears.

"Mahanayak!" Shunga shouted. Keechak scowled and jumped onto the chariot as soldiers from both sides clashed against one another. Rudra had taken control of the defenders at the fort. They did their best to fight of the assailants.

Devrat was trying to snap Rajkumar Ashok out his daze.

"Rajkumar Ashok! Come to your senses!" Devrat said frantically. "We need you to take control of the army."

But Ashok's eyes were glazed over. He knelt down next to Aadarsh, whose body the soldiers managed to drag to safety. The brave Magadh warrior had met such an ignominious end. And then there was Bhim Ji. Ashok couldn't handle the grief. As if to reflect his emotions the clouds roared in the sky and it began raining.

This was much worse than the time he lost Acharya Akramak and Acharya Chanakya. He didn't see them killed before his eyes. Today he lost two men who had become very dear to him. His protectors. His mentors. He couldn't do anything to save them. Ashok slammed his fist into the ground and howled into the air. The clouds thundered in response.

Despite the raging storm the Magadh army and the Taxillian army fought through the day. Neither side letting up. Both sides were losing lives. The ground was soiled with blood and mud.

Shunga stood next to his Mahanyak who seemed shaken. He saw a messenger arrive. It was from Nayak.

"Sire. Nayak is having trouble holding the rebels at bay." The horseman said. His voice laced with panic. "If we don't go back we will lose control of the city."

Shunga gritted his teeth. Nayak had departed for Taxilla when they were chasing after the Magadh army. There was a massive prison break. He looked towards the battle. He knew from experience that all this battle will do is cost more lives without any outcome. Mahanand and his mountain warriors were of no use. And with his Mahanayak completely out of sorts he had to take charge.

"Order the soldiers to retreat." Shunga barked at Bhairav. "Send a division immediately to relieve the city."

Ashok wasn't sure how long he was kneeling beside Aadarsh. By the time he registered a tired and irate Devrat next to him, the skies were clearing. And the setting sun rays glowing on his face.

"Rajkumar Ashok?" Devrat asked as Ashok stared at him.

"How is the battle going?"

"They are retreating." Devrat said in disgust.

"Where is Keechak?" Ashok growled.

"Long gone." Devrat said in frustration.

Ashok gripped his blade. He mounted Kulbhusan and raised his sword.

"Soldiers of Magadh!" Ashok roared. His voice reverberating across the ranks. The soldiers who were knelt on the ground as the Taxillian army retreated looked up towards their Rajkumar.

"We are going to avenge our fallen! We will make those lowlife scumbags pay!" Ashok shouted. "We will kill every last one of them! Who is coming with me?!"

"I am!" Varun shouted. Ashok nodded at the wily soldier.

"We are not going to spare any of them!" Saroj growled.

"Acharya Devrat." Ashok said as the inhabitants from the fort streamed out lead by Acharya Rudra. "Tend to the wounded. Refurbish our defenses. Send out messengers. We need supplyies and reinforcements."

Devrat nodded as soldiers gathered around Ashok.

"Send out the scouts." Ashok said menacingly. "We are going after them."

Bhairav was leading a group straggling mercenaries grumbling and cursing as they traversed through the plains. It was tough day. Bhairav wanted to be at the head of the army. But Shunga tasked him with getting the injured soldiers back to Taxilla. Bhairav kept grumbling as they fell further and further behind from the main army.

"Why do I always get stuck with the worst job?" Bhairav muttered. "I am a Senapati!"

"Only in your mind." a soldier snidely remarked from the side.

"SHUT UP!" Bhairav screamed. Bhairav's ears heard the sound of hooves. He was taken aback because in the blink of his eyes the Magadh horsemen had surrounded them. All escape routes were cut off.

Bhairav and his soldiers gripped on to their weapons in desperation. Dread creeping up their spine as they saw the enraged warriors with their blood stained weapons pointed at them. The setting sun had cast an eerie shadow around them.

Ashok sized up the dwindled force before him. He saw from the corner of his eyes that the Taxillian army was nowhere in sight. The scouts confirmed that they were long gone.

"Since you are outnumbered," Ashok said quietly. "I will give you a fair chance. Who is your leader?"

They all pointed at Bhairav who cursed loudly.

"Alright." Ashok said descending from Kulbhusan. He walked towards Bhairav swinging his sword around trying to get blood flowing into his hands. "How about you duel me?"

Bhairav looked towards the young Prince and laughed.

"So you are going to fight me lad?" Bhairav chortled.

Saroj stepped ahead of him.

"Rajkumar Ashok." Saroj said quietly. "Leave this to me."

"No. I am not going to let anyone else die for me." Ashok said through gritted teeth.

"No one else will die today." Saroj said determinedly. "Trust me. I will avenge Aadarsh."

Ashok shook his head.

"No Saroj." Ashok growled. "This fight is mine."

Ashok stepped up and walked towards Bhairav who looked at the young warrior. He had lean but strong build. Bhairav felt slightly nervous.

"Be careful Rajkumar Ashok." Saroj said warningly.

The words barely left Saroj's lips and Ashok charged towards Bhairav his blade raised. But Bhairav easily side stepped him and slashed his sword. The blade whistled past Ashok's neck. Ashok somersaulted away and re set his stance.

"You are fast." Bhairav said playfully. Ashok didn't reply and charged towards Bhairav, thrusting his blade at Bhairav's throat. Bhairav's eyes convulsed as he drew on every vein of his body to respond. Bhairav swung his blade and with a clang Ashok's blade was deflected. Ashok didn't let him counterattack. Without missing a beat, Ashok thrust his blade on the ground, leapting above Bhairav as he kicked him squarely across his jaw. Bhairav was hurled away and fell to the ground. Ashok in an instant charged for the kill. Bhairav rolled around as the sword thrust into the ground. Bhairav kicked up to his feet.

Ashok was taken aback at the warrior's agility. In the next instance he saw Bhairav charging towards him unleashing a flurry of powerful strikes. Ashok barely managed to block them. He spun around an overhead strike and unleashed a barrage of thrusts.

Bhairav was surprised to be on the back foot once more. Such skill and power at such a young age.

Bhairav deflected a thrust and kicked Ashok's knee. Ashok stumbled and barely blocked Bhairav's overhead strike.

Ashok kneed Bhairav's abdomen. Bhairav grunted in pain as he felt the wind knocked out of him. Bhairav swung his fist in desperation. The backhand struck Ashok squarely on his face as he was flung away. Ashok swirled his blade around and reset his stance as Bhairav regained his footing.

The two looked at another. Bruised and battered. Both fighters charged at one another with roars and their weapons met with another clang.

The two fighters continued as soldiers around them observed attentively. Neither warrior was letting up. Although Bhairav looked to be reaching his limits Ashok was fighting like a man possessed.

He is fast. I will give him that. But I am way stronger than this lout. Why am I having so much trouble.

Bhairav's movements were becoming more and more lethargic. His swings had slowed down. Ashok saw an opening and slashed his arm.

Bhaiav yelped in pain and stepped back. The Magadh Prince turned into a blur. And a barrage of strikes was unleashed at him. 

Ashok relentlessly struck Bhairav with his sword. His strength fueled by his rage and despair. Revenge was the only thing in his mind.

Bhairav barely blocked any of the strikes as his limbs were repeatedly slashed. The young warrior seemed to be getting stronger and stronger.

Saroj sighed. "Devrat was right. This guy is pathetic. It is going to be over soon."

Bharaiv attempted an overhead strike. Ashok blocked it, memories of his duel against Acharya Rudra flashing in his mind. He twisted the clashing blades in an arc like motion and in the next instance Bhairav's sword lay on the mud. Bhairav fell to his knees. With his Mahanyak nowhere near in sight his eyes looked towards the blade with dread as he knelt at the mercy of the Magadh Prince.

Ashok breathed heavily. He pointed sword at Bhairav's neck. It's over.

"Finish him off Rajkumar Ashok." Saroj shouted.

"No." Ashok said through clenched teeth. As he saw the fear in Bhairav's eyes, Ashok's rage only increased. Killing him isn't enough.

"Not yet. I will spare him for now."

"What?!" Saroj asked flabbergasted. "But why-"

"But I will not spare his cowardly men." Ashok said not taking his eyes away from Bhairav. "Kill them all."

"Hey wait-!" One of the soldiers protested. "We are just mercenaries for hire! We were just doing our job!"

But the protests fell on deaf ears.Ashok gripped on to his blade as his hands shook. His rage was spiralling out of control.

Innocents always suffer when men like you do their job.

"I SAID KILL THEM ALL!" Ashok roared. The Magadh Sena drew their weapons and advanced towards Bhairav's men. Bhairav could do nothing as he saw his men slaughtered one by one. He looked fearfully towards the young Prince. He is just as ruthless as Mahanyak.

Keechak lay on the chariot lost in thoughts. Today a lot of things had happened. A lot of things had changed. He finally saw the successor to his title. Up close he was astounded to see how much he resembled Chandragupt Maurya. And how much his fighting style and recklessness resembled his own.

But more than that, for the first time in his life, Keechak realized that he was mortal. Not even in his fight against Bindusar did he feel like this. His mind was fully concentrated against Aadarsh. He didn't underestimate him. He was beaten. Fair and square. Even though the warrior was killed. It reminded Keechak of something his guru once said.

No matter how good of a warrior you are. There will come a day when you will be surpassed. Humans are mortals after all.

Keechak sighed. He didn't admonish Shunga for insubordination. Shunga did the right thing today. Recognizing that even if he slayed young Prince this battle, the resulting casualties would be too costly. He cannot afford such heavy losses. Support as it was, was very limited. As useless as Mahanand was in that battle, his support was necessary. For political reasons and diplomatic weight. Another rebellion was attempted at his capital. But thankfully the soldiers that Shunga sent had managed to regain control of the city.

Keechak needed to marry off Nazia as soon as possible. So long as she and Sudhama remained there, his mastery of Taxilla wasn't fully cemented. He could kill them both. But it wasn't an option.

Keechak clicked his tongue in frustration. The long marches were becoming infuriating as Keechak aged. How many hours had passed? 

I need to talk with Amatya Rakshas.

Keechak and his men slayed a lot of Magadh soldiers today including two of Magadh's Senayaks. But absolute victory seemed nowhere close. He sat up. The glorious towers of capital were in sight. He hoped in vain to comfort himself in Bhamini's arms.

The gates swung open. His people greeted him with cheers. He paraded through the streets as if he had achieved a grand victory. Bhamini, Vasantsena and Agnibhau stood on the steps of the palace, waiting to greet him. Keechak leapt down from his chariot and began ascending the steps.

Fighting against the warriors from Magadh and watching the young Mauryan leading his army brought back old memories. Memories of the days when dreamed of grandeur and glory, memories of his younger years he thought he had long suppressed.

He could no longer predict the outcome of this war. The young Prince had showed himself to be an astute leader. Despite taking out two key generals, the soldiers had shown mettle. They had a lot of potential, especially that scion of Maurya. Inspiring loyalty from powerful warriors was something only exceptional men could do. Something that he used to do, once upon a time.

Keechak sighed. Why was he complaining? He had Shunga by his side. But that was just one. Andromechus was just a brute mercenary for hire. Nayak's loyalty depended upon Sudhama's survival. Mahanand was of no use. And that incompetent Bhairav wasn't even worth considering.

Vasantsena did his aarti. His sister looked at him with adoration and respect. But Keechak's eyes were elsewhere. He looked ardently towards his wife. But Bhamini avoided his gaze coldly. Keechak sighed.

Like your heart. I may not ever win Magadh. But I will not give in. I will never stop trying to take what rightfully belongs to me.

Hope you enjoyed it. Leave your thoughts below. Add me to your buddy lists to receive PM updates. πŸ˜Š

Chapter 19:https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/post/136455692

Edited by babur1527 - 7 years ago
-ChildOfChrist- thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
1st again! Woohoo! πŸ₯³

Will edit tomorrow

Res!

*unresing earlier*

Aaahh!!! Why??? Two of my favorite warriors died! πŸ˜­ πŸ˜­
But I seriously loved Ashok here! Chand roop! πŸ˜Ž
Future Samrat Ashok ki jai ho!
The fight scenes between Adarsh-Keechak and Ashok-Bairav were fantastic!
This is how CAS was supposed to be! πŸ˜‘
Edited by crazyforsarun - 7 years ago
Khushi_Dillse thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Noo...2nd again...πŸ˜” It's okay...kya kar sakte hai...πŸ˜†
Back to the update...It was fantastic and awesome...
Waisa hi jaise mene expect kia tha...so so nice...
You said right "warriors are ruthless" this is so true...
I like aadarsh and khichak  sword fight...like chanakya said earn respect for you in there hearts and see they will do everything for you...He is great warrior...when ashoka fight with bhairav I was scared kya ashok ka dil fir uske dimang pe vijay pa lega but no he is also ruthless but not like khichak, KILL THEM ALL...ye hui na baat πŸ‘πŸΌ...anyways sorry for late comment...Otw you are fabulous as always πŸ€—
Edited by Imashkara - 7 years ago
mistofshadows thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 5
My goodness...this was what CAS should have been. Every chapter manages to get my heart up and racing.
My favourite scene was the sword fight between Adarsh and Keechak. You described it wonderfully...I could actually visualize the duel.
Loved it.
Will be waiting for the next update.
swathi90 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2
Hey babur,thanks for the pm yaar😊,I love the way u write⭐️,u really have a great insight in battles,this s how a historical show should be nt the one they r showing in cas😑,I still can't believe what happened yesterday,they just killed ashok character,wow adarsh did gave dramatic entry,oh no bhimji,adarsh died,well a great warriors always dies in battles but nt their glory,ashok here s really ruthless well that's how historical ashok was,waiting for the keechak,ashok confrontation,update soon
tr_eta thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Awesome update., ashoks first reckless move had turned out to be a great move after adarsh and his cavalry had joined them,but then bhimji and adarsh died that was definitely heartwrenching for us and ashok too that too when they were killed right in front of ashok, the fight between adarsh and keechak was amazing adarsh was a great warrior he actually fought and won but unfortunately got martyred; the battle between ashok and bhairav was awesome too though bhairav is stupid he did had some strength well i loved ashoks ruthlessness here & keechak finally was feeling uncertain for the outcome of war thats great too; continue soon & thnx for pm
babur1527 thumbnail
Originally posted by: crazyforsarun

1st again! Woohoo! πŸ₯³

Will edit tomorrow

Res!

*unresing earlier*

Aaahh!!! Why??? Two of my favorite warriors died! πŸ˜­ πŸ˜­
But I seriously loved Ashok here! Chand roop! πŸ˜Ž
Future Samrat Ashok ki jai ho!
The fight scenes between Adarsh-Keechak and Ashok-Bairav were fantastic!
This is how CAS was supposed to be! πŸ˜‘

I am glad you enjoyed the fights. Yeah those two were my favorite too. And yeah, CAS what could have been.

I am trying to transition Ashok towards his Chaandal self. Hope you stick around for the updates. πŸ˜Š
Edited by babur1527 - 7 years ago
babur1527 thumbnail
Originally posted by: mistofshadows

My goodness...this was what CAS should have been. Every chapter manages to get my heart up and racing.
My favourite scene was the sword fight between Adarsh and Keechak. You described it wonderfully...I could actually visualize the duel.
Loved it.
Will be waiting for the next update.

Thank you Niki. Will try to update soon. What did you think of the duel between Bhairav and Ashok?
babur1527 thumbnail
Originally posted by: swathiinduru

Hey babur,thanks for the pm yaar😊,I love the way u write⭐️,u really have a great insight in battles,this s how a historical show should be nt the one they r showing in cas😑,I still can't believe what happened yesterday,they just killed ashok character,wow adarsh did gave dramatic entry,oh no bhimji,adarsh died,well a great warriors always dies in battles but nt their glory,ashok here s really ruthless well that's how historical ashok was,waiting for the keechak,ashok confrontation,update soon

You are welcome Swathi. Glad you are enjoying the story. Ashok and Keechak almost fought. I am holding out the final confrontation for a bit more. Hope you enjoy the upcoming chapters. πŸ˜†
babur1527 thumbnail
Originally posted by: tr_eta

Awesome update., ashoks first reckless move had turned out to be a great move after adarsh and his cavalry had joined them,but then bhimji and adarsh died that was definitely heartwrenching for us and ashok too that too when they were killed right in front of ashok, the fight between adarsh and keechak was amazing adarsh was a great warrior he actually fought and won but unfortunately got martyred; the battle between ashok and bhairav was awesome too though bhairav is stupid he did had some strength well i loved ashoks ruthlessness here & keechak finally was feeling uncertain for the outcome of war thats great too; continue soon & thnx for pm

Glad you enjoyed the update. Will try to continue as soon as I can. Will PM you when I update.