Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 7 years ago
Hellooo...where are you...???
Are you listening me...?? 
Hellooo..
tr_eta thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Plz dear update soon its been so long...
babur1527 thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Chapter 19:https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/post/136455692

A/N: Dedicated to Niki, Ramsha, Gargi, Mac, Khushi, Nonie, Shailusri, Vidhya, Sri , Tr_eta, Mishi, Niks, Shayamala Ji, Swathi, Spring, Kryztal and Shelly. My dedicated readers and sources of inspiration.

Also Rohini, Medha, Krystal and Kaana. Old loyal CAS viewers who loved Chanakya niti just as much as me. 

And finally my bros BB and Shyam who love Dharma and PS more than me. 

Chapter 20: The Interlude

At the Palace of Patliputra

The palace of Patliputra was in chaos. The storm had ended and barely had the Magadh guards seen of the last of the people who had sought refuge in the palace, they were attacked. The marauders were all over the palace attacking everyone at sight.

The palace guards were ahead of Bindusar who had his sword drawn out. He was leading the royal family to the basement. The path that lead to it was lit with torches. It was as eery as the first time Bindusar walked through it. Bindusar could never get used to the feeling of trepidation. Subhao and Vasunandan were at  the rear keeping watch for marauders. Siyamak had his sword drawn and was guarding Ahankara who had her little brother in her arms. Dharma, Subrasi, Drupad and Charumitra were huddled together. Rajmata Helena just ahead of them. Dharma noticed that she seemed awfully calm.

Damn it. I should have kept the guptchar alert.

They were able to reach the palace basement, before the large wooden door behind which was the subterranean path out of Patliputra. Bindusar wasn't taking any chances this time.

"Everyone get inside." Bindusar ordered. "Siyamak, Subhao and Vasunandan, you stay with the guards and protect everyone. In case the marauders come this way, use the path to get out. Don't let them catch you. No matter what. Understand?"

Siyamak and the rest nodded nodded.

"You two." Bindusar said to the guards behind him. "You will follow me."

"Be careful Samrat." Dharma said worriedly.

"I will be fine." Bindusar quickly glanced over to check if everyone was there. Bindusar gripped his sword and threw out the annoying shawl. "Let's go."

And he promptly rushed out with the guards on his wake.

"What is going on?" Ahankara asked.

"I do not know putri. We will have to wait and see." Dharma said calmly.

"I wish Sushim was here." Charumitra said despondently. The dark room and the eerie torches had set a tense ambience. One could cut the tension with a knife.

"Don't worry." Subrasi said grasping her shoulder. "Samrat will protect us."

Charumitra pursed her lips. The last few weeks had seen an unspoken divide had appeared between her and Bindusar. A chasm of distrust and resentment. But she knew deep down, whatever the disagreements between them were, at the end of the day Bindusar will protect her. And with that thought she comforted herself. 

Siyamak gripped his sword tightly his eyes squared towards the ghost of Bindusar's trail. He was fighting back memories of what happened the last time Patliputra palace was raided.

Meanwhile at the Ashoka's fort

Ashoka was in the midst of a heated council of war. Both Bhairav and Abhimanyu had given them two important pieces of information.

First of which was Keechak wanted to execute Sudhama so as to quell the brewing rebellion. He was planning to do this on the day Nazia got married.

The second one was the news that an important caravan headed by Mir Khursan himself heading to Taxila. The caravan was reinforcement of troops,weapons, gold and other supplies that rejuvenate Keechak's battered force.

Disagreements over strategy has divided his Senanayaks into two factions. Ujjain's regent and current Senapati of Magadh, Acharya Rudra and Devrat wanted to opt for a more cautious approach by raiding the caravan. Ashok and Saroj wanted to pursue a drastic strategy that entailed immediate action by attacking Keechak while he was weak.

"Rajkumar Ashok." Rudra reasoned. "I am very much honored with the title that you have bestowed upon me but what is the point of giving me such an honor if you are not going to respect my opinion?"

"I do respect your opinion!" Ashok said coolly. "But you have heard what Abhimanyu said. They are going to execute Sudhama!"

"Rajkumar Ashok." Devrat began. "This is an old game every general plays to mislead potential spies. He wants us to attack him. He has failed to wipe us out by going on the offensive. So he wants to draw us out and fight us from his base. Where unfortunately I believe he holds the advantage. We do not have enough men to conduct a siege. However we can hinder Keechak by destroying his reinforcements."

"If the reinforcements arrive in first place." Saroj interrupted. Saroj was still smarting over being overlooked for the padh of Senapati in favor of Rudra. In spite of their previous enemity however, there was no denying Rudra's credentials.

"We have little to lose by attacking the caravan." Rudra said calmly. "We can come back on the event there is no caravan. We can escape on the event that it is a trap. But attacking Taxila now is tantamount to suicide. There is a good chance that if the siege is long drawn out. We will be caught in the trap between the defenders and the oncoming force."

Ashok pondered over Rudra's words. His words had merit. But the war was dragging on. More lives were lost each day. While the momentum was with him, he could easily lose it. Here out on the frontier so far away from the capital of Magadh, allegiance was fickle. The tribes and the local Janpads will support the one who had the momentum. Keechak's disastrous defeats have given them pause to consider. If Ashok failed to capture Taxila in the siege, it can easily change. However he sensed that the information that Bhairav had given them wasn't entirely truthful. There was a chance that he was setting up a trap for them. After all Bhairav had suspiciously trailed behind the entire force that was retreating. It couldn't be completely down to Bhairav's complete incompetence.

Ashok sat down on his chair. His Senanayaks looked towards him quietly waiting for his decision.

At Tosali

Radhagupt was preparing to depart with Airvat. He was going to head for Taxila. News of Ashok's victory had just reached him. As well as the favorable responses from leaders  the Janpads. Now was the time to step towards the final victory. Airvat had already secured support from the tribes in Khurasan. Radhagupt couldn't wait for Samrat Bindusar's permission so he sent a letter informing the Samrat of his decision. Things were stable at Tosali. With news of Keechak's defeat and Kalinga's failure the surrounding Janpads had submitted to Bindusar's authority again.

"I can trust you to handle the things here Rajkumar Sushim." Radhagupt said as he and Sushi walked through the long archway towards the front gate of the Tosali palace. Radhagupt could sense that the self proclaimed Yuvraj of Magadh couldn't wait for him to leave.

"I am not a child Acharya Radhagupt!" Sushim snapped. He shook his head and faked a smile. "You can trust me to handle things here."

"Oh of course." Radhagupt chuckled as he descended down the steps. He placed his foot on the strirup and heaved himself on the horse. "Keep your father updated on the proceedings here. He will call you back soon enough."

"Yeah sure." Sushim said through his clenched teeth. Radhagupt looked around. His royal guards were ready. He put Laxman, Saroj's elder brother in charge of the troops who had already departed for Patliputra.

"Alright, let's move out." Radhagupt shouted. He whipped the reins of his horse and galloped out with his motley contingent on his trail.

Sushim stood at the archway as he looked towards the departing Senapati of Magadh, his mouth curled into a leer.

"Indrajeet?" Sushim said quiely as his friend walked up to him.

"Your orders will be carried out mitra. Don't worry. That letter will be retrieved." Indrajeet said reassuringly. Sushim turned towards Indrajeet and glared at him.

"It better be!" Sushim menacingly. Indrajeet nodded. Sushim sighed and walked back into the palace.

At Patliputra

Bindusar stood at the royal hall as the captured raiders were kneeling before him. The guards managed to capture and kill all the raiders. The entire palace was a mess. The tapestries were torn down, furnitures were broken. The attendants were busy putting out the small fires. However unlike the previous attacks in Patliputra, this one didn't seem that well executed. Bindusar looked at the raiders suspiciously. Their capture was a bit too convenient.

"I will ask you this once." Bindusar said calmly. "I have no shortage of enemies so it is useless for me either way. But if you answer quickly and honestly you will do yourselves a favor. Who do you work for? And why did you attack the palace?"

The raiders looked towards one another. One of them blurted out.

"We came here to raid the treasury. The one who paid us said that the palace was unguarded because the troops were out of the capital. He said he would give us half of the loot if we managed to succeed."

Bindusar sighed frustratedly. By the he spoke Bindusar knew that he wasn't lying. And also, these guys were completely inept. As if this was the first time they have ever raided.

"Go and fetch my family." Bindusar said quietly to the guard. He turned towards the chief of the palace guards. "Throw these imbeciles into the dungeons. Interrogate them. See if you can get something useful." The guards nodded and left.

Bindusar sheathed his sword and walked towards the throne which was the only place untouched by the whirlwind of chaos, Bindusar sat down leaned back as various thoughts ran through his head. It seemed that there was really no rest for him. He sensed an an attendant coming towards him.

Bindusar looked up. He gathered his thoughts and said, "Order the Brahmins and Amatya to see me immediately. We are having an emergency council."

Dharma slowly walked back into her room. Ahankara trailing behind her. Dharma sat down on her bed.The attendants lit the candles and stood at the door.

"Kuch khaogi putri?" Dharma asked. Ahankara shook her head.

"Come on. You must be famished. I certainly am." Dharma said tremulously.

"Okay Rani Dharma." Ahankara said with a small smile. "Some fruits then?"

"Yeah. That would be nice." Dharma sighed as Ishwari walked in.

"So, what is going on?" Dharma asked. "Did you manage to get any information at all?"

"Nothing useful." Ishwari said edgily. "Too many things happening at once. But one thing is for sure. These raiders are not well trained. I'd say they are not trained at all."

Dharma sat upright her curiosity. "Why would anyone send untrained raiders?"

"As a distraction?" Ahankara offered helpfully.

"Of course." Dharma nodded. "But what was the distraction for?"

"I don't know. That's what I want to get to the bottom of." Ishwari said frustratedly. "Wish Archarya Radhagupt was here."

"Well he isn't. So we need to manage by ourselves." Dharma sighed. "I will talk to the Samrat later tonight."

Ishwari nodded. Ahankara just stared into the floor thoughtfully. So many things were happening at once.

At the palace of Tosali

Sushim was at the throne room celebrating his recent victory over the Kalingans. And also the departure of that infuriating Radhagupt. Madera and dancing women. To Sushim this was what royal luxury was all about. The daughter of Prantpal Mayasura, Chanda who sat next to him squirming in discomfort. Her father tried to protest her presence here but he cowered before Sushim's rage.

"Here have some." Sushim offered her a cup. Chanda politely declined.

"Come on." Sushim slurred. "You will enjoy yourself."
"This is hardly enjoyable." Chanda scoffed. Sushim scowled.

"What do you do for fun then?" Sushim asked as he hiccuped.

"Well, we hunt. We joust. And we entertain ourselves with tales of the past."

"I do that too." Sushim said as his body relaxed. "But what else do you do?"

"What else do you need to do?" Chanda looked at Sushim with a frown.

"You know." Sushim winked.

"You are kind of disgusting." Chanda said revolted. Sushim chuckled.

"And you are exceptionally beautiful." Chanda got up and with a huff and walked out. Sushim tried to get up but he had drunk too much.

"She is something isn't she?" Sushim asked to his equally inebriated friend Indrajeet.

"Yeah. Too bad she is getting married soon." Indrajeet said repressing a belch.

"What?!" Sushim shot up to his feet.

"Yeah. Mitra." Indrajeet laughed. "Her Sywamvar is next week." In response Sushim kicked Indrajeet's shin who howled in pain.

"Alright." Sushim burped. "Alright. I will play your game. I will have fun your way."

At Ashoka's fort

It was night time. The stars were sparkling in the sky. Ashok was at the terrace of his fort. He sat in the rails hunched over lost in thoughts. It was probably the most difficult dilemma he was faced with. Attack Taxila and end this once and for all. Or take the safe option and attack Mir Khurasan. He also had a score to settle with the former Senapati of Magadh.

"You are seriously not going to let Prantpal Sudhama die are you?"

Ashok turned around to see it was Saroj who also sat on the railing.

"I understand the risks." Saroj said quietly looking out to the sky. "But we can end this once and for all. Or we can drag this on and lose more lives."

"I know. But we can also lose everything that we have gained so far. I want to avenge Aadarsh and Bhim Ji as much as you Saroj." Ashok said gripping the rail. "But it is too reckless."

"We have to work something out quickly." Ashok turned to see it was Devrat. "Rajkumar Ashok you need to decide now. If that caravan does reach Taxila we will be back to square one."

"So what is it going to be?" Saroj asked.

"I have thought of something." Ashok said quietly. "Acharya Devrat." Ashok motioned to the Brahmin to come closer. "Oi!" Saroj hissed angrily. "Don't leave me out of the loop." He quickly moved towards the huddle.

At the forests on the outskirts of Tosali

Radhagupt was moving quickly with his royal guards, Airvat and the mercenaries from his Akkada. He had decided not travel through the night to pass the forest quickly. He had an inkling suspicion that Rajkumar Sushim was up to something. After all he did have something that held the young Prince's fate.

And sure enough he could hear galloping in the distance. Looks like his journey to Taxila wasn't going to be a smooth one.

"If we ever get anything done without a hitch." Radhagupt remarked in amusement to Airvat. "That would be out of the ordinary." Airvat had already drawn out his sword.

Radhagupt drew his sword. His royal guards just realized that they were being tailed.

"These soldiers have a lot of ways to go." Radhagpt sighed. He just hoped that he could reach Taxila in time. They had a unique opportunity to seal the victory. And he couldn't let it slip out of his grasp.

A/N: A thousand apologies to all my readers. But life has been nothing short of chaotic for me. Sorry. Hope you enjoy it. :P

Edited by babur1527 - 7 years ago
shailusri1983 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
After so long, Babur! I thought you weren't going to complete this.  But anyways, I am glad you're back! I loved every bit of this chapter!
srividhya68 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
ah finally u updated it after a long time
awesome upt
battle is getting danderous
everywhere everyone is plotting
loving it
waiting for next part
cont soon
babur1527 thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: srividhya68

ah finally u updated it after a long time
awesome upt
battle is getting danderous
everywhere everyone is plotting
loving it
waiting for next part
cont soon

Thank you for reading. Will try to update soon.

Originally posted by: shailusri1983

After so long, Babur! I thought you weren't going to complete this.  But anyways, I am glad you're back! I loved every bit of this chapter!

Yeah I will try to complete it. Glad you enjoyed it. Will try to update soon.
tr_eta thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Fabulous update..,glad to have you back dear coming to update that was awesome looks like palace attack was planned by helena and charumitra had no clue of it;this sushim is definitely planning something vile and I hope chanda does not become another of a victim of his ego;and acharya radhagupt is awesome as usual and I think our ashok here has some awesome and wonderful plan up his sleeves continue soon plz and thnx for pm
Khushi_Dillse thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Babur Babur Babur finally you are here...Thank you for continue this beautiful story...I hope everything goes well in your life...Outstanding update, politics everywhere..., I think battle gone a be dangerous...it's okay dear jab bhi update karo I don't mind...you are here its enough for me...you know what, I miss you so much... Edited by Khushi_Dillse - 7 years ago
swathi90 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2
Hello babur😊, long time at last u updated,😃  don't leave in middle  this time, I can totally understand when said busy life , even these past months r quite hectic for me also, take ur time.

Coming to update as usual it's nicely written, when I read marauders word the first thing that popped into my head s mauraders map😆, I think u got it what I meant by now, yes another Harry potter fan😆, so bindu s in action, man I know bindhu s a Gud king and warrior, our cvs bindhu had done nothing but saying Aprateem  all time, it's like he used to leave all his brains back in antahpuram which used to infect his queens, that's y his queens used to think more than him, and let's not even talk about the pathetic end that cvs gave to bindhusar, he might not be as great as CGM r as valiant as Ashok, but he was also a Gud warrior with brains, curse cvs for ruining our show😡, have decided never to watch our cvs own historical shows, nice to see dharm and ahankara r thinking like true queens rather whining like charumitra can't believe she was wishing for sushim rather thinking like queen.

Ashok secenes are also quite amazing all planning and plotting this was the real ashok all his life he wAs known as an ambitious general, of course he didn't became king just singing priyatama song all around Kwk, did he😲, but our cvs managed that also, let's not even talk about kaling war , u 'll get fits if u ever watch ashok ending😡

Acharya rudra s very dignified man, saroj s haughty, ashok team s quite interesting all r ambitious but still loyal, so u r planning sushim chanda, both looked quite Gud in show better say even than leads, so sushim planned attack, and radhagupta already guessed, now we r talking real radhagupta, now this s person who was trained by great chanakya, so what now, update as u promised, would love to read ,  everything s nicely written, story s also going in Gud pace, update soon, hope everything goes fyn in ur life😊

Edited by swathi90 - 7 years ago
Nonie12345 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Fantastic chapter Babur😊
I am glad you are completing this fanfic⭐️