Users

Frequent Posters

mayyo thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 8 years ago
**Replies begin page 97.

Happy Reading!

43. Complacency

The small card in my hand was fancy as it beautifully served the purpose it was intended for. It was the card which announced the date of Vyan's engagement ceremony. After Kittu had replied to his proposal in positive, they decided to hold a small ceremony to celebrate their engagement, Vyan told me. Kittu insisted I had to be there for them, when she handed the card over to me in the office. I agreed readily. There was no reason to refuse to join the celebration of a very dear friend.

The engagement dated two days from today. They had chosen a Saturday since it was weekend and most of their guests would be able to join them. As I sat back down on my seat after Vyan and Kittu left to distribute the cards to the rest of the staff, - I had gotten the privilege of being the first to be invited, - my phone rang. It was Anaya.

"I'm at work, Anaya." I told her when she asked what I was doing after exchanging pleasantries.

"You're not busy, are you?" Before I could even think of answering, she continued. "Even if you are, I'm sure I'm more important than work, right?"

I laughed when she said it. I loved the way she sounded bossy and sweet at the same time. "Of course! Who dare work when her highness Anaya calls?" She laughed with me this time.

"Okay, listen." She began. "Keep yourself free this Saturday, alright?"

"What for?"

"We're having a small reunion at my house. You, me, Ayush and Maan"

"Uhh..." My gaze fell on the card in front of me.

"What? Don't you dare say you won't come!"

"Actually," I explained, "just before you called, Vyan came in with Kittu to invite me for their engagement."

"So?" She asked blankly.

"It's on Saturday evening." In response, I earned a dramatic denial from her. "Can't you postpone the party?"

"Maan is going on some business trip on Sunday night for at least a week..." Her voice faded as she thought it over, it sounded to me.

"Alright then." I sighed. "You guys enjoy. I won't be able to make it this time."

"Can't you skip the engagement?" She asked.

"Sorry, no. I just promised Vyan and Kittu to be there."

"Hmm..." She sighed dejectedly, but suddenly spoke again, in a voice which sounded as if she had found some solution. "Hey, what time did you say the ceremony is at?"

I checked the card again. "It's 5 in the evening."

"Perfect!" I could almost see her jumping in the newfound excitement. "How long could the ceremony go? 7, or maximum 8? I've called Maan at 7 so you can easily come after the ceremony is over."

I thought it over. It wasn't a bad deal. "Okay then. I'll come after I go home and change out of my party clothes."

"What? No! I want to see you dressed up." I rolled my eyes. Leave it to Anaya to have such wishes.

"I can send you a picture of myself when I get ready."

"That you will." There was smugness in her voice. "But it won't do justice so you'll come straight to my place. Understand?"

I tried to reason with her by telling her how uncomfortable it would be to come to a casual reunion in a formal party dress but it was of no use. She gave the excuse that she had a wardrobe full of clothes for me to wear and be comfortable in.

"Who can win against you, Anaya!" I said exasperatedly as I gave up and agreed to what she demanded. "I'll come straight from the ceremony. Happy now?"

"Very happy!" She laughed. "See you on Saturday then. I'll let you work now."

"Yeah, see you. Bye!" I was about to cut the call.

"Bye!" She said but suddenly remembered something. "Wait, wait, wait, wait!"

"What?"

"I talked to Maan about that head designer post. It's still empty and the offer made to you is still standing."

My mouth opened and closed as I wondered if I wanted to laugh at or be angry on my dear dumb friend.

"You didn't actually do that, did you?"

"Of course I did." She continued casually as if she didn't understand what I was implying.

"Anaya..." I didn't know what to say. "What have you done! Maan would think I told you to ask him about it. He'd think I'm trying to get in a good word for myself through you because I heard him speak on phone the other day."

When I finished with my rant, she spoke in a calm voice. "Did you really think I would be as stupid?" She paused but not long enough for me to think of an answer. "I asked him about his work when he mentioned that he was still looking for interior designers for his new wing and I suggested your name. I didn't tell him I knew he had beat me to visualising you in his company but he did say that if you'd like to join, you'd be welcomed."

I was stumped for a few long moments. I had to remind myself she wasn't as rash a decision maker as she had been while we were in college. Besides, I felt a bit ashamed of having thought that way. I had to give her more credit.

"Umm..." I considered apologising.

"No, no!" She interrupted. "Don't say sorry. Yet." Adding the 'yet' made me suspicious.

"Why?"

"Because I'll have you make it up to me for thinking I'm a lunkhead."

This option is scarier when it comes from Anaya in such a sweetened tone, I thought as she disconnected the call and I got back to work.

Two days later, on Saturday, when I dressed up to go to Vyan's engagement ceremony, I first took a selfie and sent it to Anaya and Raya, both of whom had strictly instructed me to do so.

Vyan's house had been decorated with flowers and lights to signify the occasion. The doors were left open for guests so I let myself in and walked straight into the living room where the rest of the guests were. There were around twenty to thirty people, I deduced. I saw Vyan and Kittu standing on the other end of the room. Vyan looked suave in his suit while Kittu was dressed in an off-shoulder royal blue gown, her hair styled and pinned up at the front and curled at the edges. She looked every bit the blushing bride. I walked over to them to congratulate them and handed them their engagement present. Next, I met Vyan's parents. His father was brimming with joy and his mother could hardly stay in one place for more than a couple of minutes, so busy she was in making sure everything was perfect.

After the couple exchanged rings, the lights dimmed and Vyan led Kittu to the centre of the room for a dance. Some other couples joined in when the second song began and that was when I saw Nidhi, Vyan's sister, who I had not gotten a chance to meet and congratulate earlier. I walked over to her as she adoringly stared at her brother and his fiance dance in ecstasy.

"Hi Nidhi!" I called for her attention and she turned to me.

"Oh, hi Geet!" She gave me a light hug before asking me how I was. "I'm so glad you came."

"I couldn't miss this, could I?" I shrugged with a grin.

"Of course not! You're Vyan's favourite person, he wouldn't let you do that at any cost." She laughed a little. Then she looked like she was contemplating whether to say something or not but I assumed she decided to go for it because she leaned in as if she was about to share a secret with a hint of mischief in her eyes. "In fact, you're so dear to him that for a while, mum and I thought you'd be the one."

"Really?" I asked in amusement.

"Yes." She chuckled and then turned to gaze at the couple. "But then Kittu came along. She's a wonderful person."

"That she is." I couldn't agree more with her. "She'll keep Vyan very happy."

She put her hands on her cheeks as she watched her brother, tearing up a little. "I can't believe my baby brother is about to be married soon. He still seems so small to me."

I laughed. "I understand how you feel. I feel the same way about my little sister."

Nidhi and I bonded pretty well as we talked for a good fifteen minutes before refreshments were served. I remembered her being quiet and reserved when I first met her. Perhaps it was the occasion that made her chat with me so much.

I did not stay long after that. I was already getting late since it was past 8 o'clock now and I had to go to Anaya's house. Wishing the couple once again, I took my leave and hurried to catch a taxi and go join my friends.

When I reached Anaya's house, I saw the door was left ajar so I let myself in and followed the sounds of laughter coming from the living room. Maan and Ayush were chatting about something when I walked in on them and called out a "Hi guys!" As they turned their heads to look at me, Ayush let out a low whistle with a "ooh la la". As if that wasn't enough to make my cheeks flush, I saw Maan's eyes travel from my head to toe and back up to my face. A crooked smile appeared on his lips with appreciation in his eyes. It made me self conscious to the point of embarrassment.

Since I had come straight from Vyan's engagement as per the strict instructions of Anaya, I was still in my formal clothes. I was wearing a peach colored halter neck dress which fitted right until its end, which was just below the knees. I had paired the dress with nude heels and a clutch. My hair was straightened as it hung loose around my face and my shoulders and arms were bare. Just as I felt the colour in my cheeks brighten, Anaya came out from the kitchen.

"Oh hey!" She greeted me as she came forward with a tray in her hands, which she put on the centre table. "Thank god you're finally here. Come here, come here." She took two quick steps herself before I could move and took a good look at me, turning me around and then back to face her. Maan and Ayush were laughing at what Anaya was doing and she stuck a tongue out at them. Then she pulled me with her to the sofa and told the guys to help themselves with the sandwiches.

"How was the ceremony?" Ayush asked as he bit into his sandwich.

"It was good. They were both looking lovely."

"And how many people congratulated you, thinking you were the bride?" The question from Ayush this time made me stiffen. I noticed Maan looking away awkwardly.

"What do you mean?" I asked in a blank voice.

"You're looking so pretty, I'm sure people would have mistaken you for the bride." Ayush said and laughed, as if he didn't feel the sudden tension in me.

"Oh..." I smiled and gave myself a mental shake. I needed to take things for their face value rather than some hidden meaning my mind conjures up. I snuck a glance at Maan, who had regained his composure. I knew he had believed Vyan and I were dating, because he had called Vyan my boyfriend on the cruise and I had not corrected him. "Actually," I continued in a much relaxed manner, "nobody could have thought I was the bride. Kittu looked prettier, and the couple never left each other alone. They're so much in love."

That resulted in a light argument with Anaya and Ayush, who were both insistent that I looked better, even though they hadn't seen Kittu tonight.

"What do you say, Maan?" Up until Anaya pulled him in the banter with the question, he was only enjoying looking back and fro between us three. "Isn't Geet looking the prettiest she has ever looked?"

Before Maan could respond, I dramatically gasped. "You mean to say I never looked pretty?" Lightly hitting her on her arm to add effects to my acting, I pouted for a second before we all looked at each other and then burst out in laughter. Oh, it was so much fun to be around these people!

A while later, Anaya pulled me to her room and gave me a set of tee and slacks to change into. When I joined the three back in the living room, there was some change. The center table had been moved aside and a small table was placed in the center with all three of them sitting on the floor on each of its sides, leaving one empty for me. On the table was a board of Ludo. When Ayush saw me, he pulled me to sit across Maan, on the one empty place.

"It's going to be so much fun!" Anaya exclaimed as she clapped her hands.

"And I'll win again." Ayush added smugly.

"Only if you get away with cheating like you always do!" Anaya and I laughed as Maan put Ayush's high hopes down.

The game began with faux competition, Ayush hooting for every move he got right and every time the die rolled to his favored numbers, Anaya squealed victoriously when she passed the rest of us. It was fun to watch Maan pumping his fist in the air in aggressive triumph when he bypassed Ayush and scored a one up.

"Hey! That's cheating!" I exclaimed when I saw Ayush sneaking one of his token pieces out of the board when he thought no one was watching.

"What?" Anaya looked up from the board.

"What did he do now?" Maan asked as he quickly looked at the board then at Ayush and me.

"He -" I pointed towards him to tell on him but he began to poke me with his foot from under the table. I looked at Ayush who pleaded me with his eyes, and then back at Anaya and Maan, who were both looking at me, waiting to expose Ayush's cheating. "Nothing. I thought he had moved this piece six places ahead." I pointed towards one of his pieces on the board, saving Ayush. "But it's fine, I just counted and he's moved it right." Ayush threw me grateful glance while Maan rolled his eyes and Anaya watched me suspiciously.

"Where's your fourth piece, Ayush?" Queried Maan.

"It's passed out." He confidently showed the piece he had smuggled out of the board.

"When?" Anaya cross-questioned him.

I knew Ayush was caught now as Maan launched himself on Ayush to snatch the token piece to put it back on board. When he succeeded, Ayush threw the board over, claiming himself to be the winner. Doing that, he quickly escaped and Maan chased him through the living room, into the kitchen, to the dining room and back to the living room as Ayush dodged him around every piece of furniture. Anaya and I watched them and laughed, clapping when Maan finally got hold of Ayush and flung him on the sofa in one quick motion, sitting on his stomach. They were both laughing too as they breathed heavily, courtesy, the run.

One thing they both had forgotten was that there were kids sleeping in the bedroom and the noise that the boys made woke Yana up. She came out of the room and straight into Anaya's arms, crying and rubbing her eyes. Anaya gave the boys an angry look while they stood, somewhat apologetic.

As Anaya went inside to put Yana back into bed, I glanced at the time and was shocked to see it was past midnight.

"I suppose I should be going home now." I said when Anaya came back.

"What's the hurry?" Ayush questioned.

"It's past midnight, man." Maan exclaimed. He had realized that when I spoke of leaving. "And I need to get some sleep before leaving tomorrow.

"But you're going at night, aren't you?" Pointed Anaya.

"Yes, but I do need to prepare things up and pack my stuff."

At Maan's response, the husband and wife could not say anything without being unfair towards Maan on their part, so they turned to me and insisted I stay the night with them. I could not accept the offer but I promised to stay over the next weekend.

When Ayush offered to drop me home, since I would not find any taxis or buses at this hour of the night, Maan cut in and said he would drop me, since it was saner rather than Ayush going to drop me and then coming back. I agreed with Maan on that and we both left.

Silence engulfed us in the car as Maan drove. I put my head on the headrest and closed my eyes. He must have noticed me, for he asked if I was tired.

"Yes." I said truthfully. "But tonight was worth it." I opened my eyes and turned to look at him. "Wasn't it?"

"It was." He affirmed with a peaceful smile on his face. "We should do such parties more often, don't you think? Just us four."

"Of course we should. Whenever we can."

There was no awkwardness, no bitterness and no underlying double meanings in our conversations tonight. It felt to me that we were both past the years of suffering now. It felt nice and I couldn't deny that.

"You're going away tomorrow?" I enquired after a few moments passed.

"Yes." He gave a brief smile to me before looking back at the road. "One of Ranbir's projects needs immediate attention. He doesn't want to go since Zara has been keeping unwell for a couple of days and Mom won't be able to look after Ameerah all the time the way she demands attention. So I volunteered to go."

He smiled as he finished and I smiled back. I liked the fact that I was seeing more of the old Maan in him tonight.

"One week?"

A thoughtful nod was the reply. "Approximately."

There was silence again. He seemed to be in some deep thoughts before he suddenly called out, "So."

That attracted my attention and I looked at him. "So what?"

"We're here." He pointed with his eyes towards my building. I had neither realized that we had stopped, nor that we were now in the parking of my building.

"Oh." I was surprised. Quickly grabbing the bag I had put my party clothes in, I started to get out. Just as I leaned out, Maan's hand shot out to mine to stop me. The touch jolted me a little and Maan sensed it. Almost as quickly as his hand came to land on mine, he pulled it away.

"Sorry." He murmured and looked away, as I composed myself too.

"Thank you, Maan." I said as if the uneasy moment hadn't passed between us.

"My pleasure." He turned to smile at me, which I returned before beginning to get out again, only to be stopped as he called my name, albeit, hesitantly.

"Yes?" I saw him open his mouth to say something but nothing came out. "Is everything alright?"

"Yes, of course." He gave a cursory smile before returning to the same expression. Lowering his eyes for a couple of seconds, he raised them back to look into mine. "You looked beautiful today."

"Uhh..." I hadn't expected this. "Thanks, I think."

He chuckled softly. "You're tired. Now go and take some rest."

"You go home too." I passed him a smile and got out of his car but bent back enough to see his face. He was already looking at me. "Good luck for your trip."

Placing a hand on his chest, he gave his head a slight bow with a polite "thank you."

I then entered my building and he drove away. I slept peacefully that night. Some good things had happened in a single day. First, my very dear friend had gotten engaged to the love of his life. He deserved every bit of happiness that only Kittu would be able to give him. Second, I had a marvelous time with my friends. Third and the most important of all was the fact that I was satisfied with myself, with the way things had turned for Maan and me and that we were both comfortable being around each other without letting any bitterness crop up between us.

On Thursday, I went to visit Mrs. Khurana. I had talked to her over the phone and she had chided me for being MIA for so long that she sternly instructed me to pay her a visit at once. The conversation was sundry, there was a lot to catch up on. Aunty was so happy that I had finally visited her. Ameerah was jumping around as Zara fed her one bite after another while she occasionally joined our conversation. Ranbir was at work and since it wasn't even a week that Maan was gone, I inferred that he was not back yet.

"Ameerah, please drink your milk, sweetheart." I heard Zara plead her daughter yet again but the little one wouldn't listen. She wanted her mother to race her first. Since that was not possible, what with it being the sixth month of Zara's pregnancy, she tried to coax her daughter to drop the idea. Mrs. Khurana couldn't play with Ameerah too because she had been complaining of severe pain in her knees. I watched for fifteen minutes as Zara tried almost every tactic to get her daughter to drink milk and as time passed, she grew increasingly frustrated. She also seemed tired now.

"Can I try, Zara?" I offered.

She looked at me uncertainly. "Will you be able to?"

"Perhaps." I shrugged. "But no harm in trying, is there?"

Zara reluctantly agreed and handed me the glass of milk.

"Ameerah." I called the little one over and as she came, I held both of her hands in mine and looked into her eyes as I playfully spoke to her. "Do you want to race?" She eagerly nodded. "You won't be able to win from me." I challenged with a smile.

"No, Geet aunty." She said in that tiny voice of hers. "I always win from mama, daddy, chachu and dadima."

"Really?" I expressed wonder.

"Yes." Her excited voice continued. "I run very fast."

"Then let's have a race." I rubbed my hands. Ameerah began jumping on her spot. "But what will you do if you win?"

She thought seriously for a moment and I reined in the urge to pull her chubby cheeks. "I will drink the whole glass of milk." Her grey eyes were so solemn that I had to control my chuckle.

"Alright." I pretended to accept her deal and got up. She wanted to race across the hall where we were sitting, then up the stairs and touch the door to her room, which was the third on the left. I quietly asked Zara if there was any trouble in Ameerah running upstairs but she assured me there was nothing to worry about.

"On your marks." Zara spoke loudly as the little one and I took our places at the end of the hall. "Get set. Go."

Ameerah began running and I pretended to race her as her mum and grandmother sat audience to us. The little girl wasn't fast but she looked so adorable as she ran that I did not have the heart to overtake her even once. I slowed even more when she began to climb the stairs. She was almost upstairs when I started and when she reached the second door, she turned to look at me in triumph. I was at the top of the stairs now and pretended to stop to catch my breath. She turned around and resumed her run.

Just as I decided to straighten up and follow her, my foot slipped on the edge of the last step and I felt myself falling backwards. Before I could prepare myself for the inevitable fall, I felt the tight grip on my hand which pulled me towards itself in a hard jerk. I only had time to register who it was before my body crashed into Maan's and his arm encircled my waist as he firmly held me against his body.

Edited by mayyo - 7 years ago
dqno1 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ First thing i noticed was the royal blue gown
Kittu must have looked dazzlingπŸ˜†

Loved the reunion scene

Ananya and Ayush planned a fun reunion

Ananya is so bossy, she reminds me of someone.

Meethi chhuriπŸ˜†

At last they are able to coexist without pain.

I think friendship is a good step right now.

She waited for him to be away to go visit his mother😲

Fence dweller girl wears an armor all day long.

Ab baahon mein aa gayi hai toh hope she drops some of it.

Romance chahiye Mari.. aur update jaldi seπŸ˜ƒ

Thanks for updating.
Edited by dqno1 - 8 years ago
SheenGcian thumbnail
Haaye Allah kia ending di hai full filmy πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜†
Mayyo what an update yaara mazaa aagaya πŸ‘ πŸ˜ƒ
First Vyan n kittu's engagement I can imagine she's looking beautiful 😳
Second a get together of four besties πŸ˜ƒ
I really enjoyed their reunion, haha loved the way Ayush cheated hahahaha πŸ˜†
Last but not the least the ultimate fall scene of Maaneet 😳
Superb πŸ‘ πŸ˜ƒ
Cont. SoonEdited by _SharmeenLuvsGC - 8 years ago
heemasomani thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 3 Thumbnail
Fantastic update
loved maaneet scene 
crazyfriends007 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Superb long update
Loved friends party
aparna3011 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Superb update
Cloud clear between maan n geet so they are little comfortable with each other
saf24 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
It is always a good day when you update. I liked that Geet was able to give her time to both her old and new friends as she was able to balance going to Vyan's engagement party and then Anaya's house. Also liked Maan and Ayush's reactions when she came in and I know Anaya did that deliberately. It was sweet of Maan to muster enough courage to voice that she looked beautiful and I so loved the end of the update. Looking forward to what is in store next. Great job as always. 
khwaishfan thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 7

hi thanks 4 updating! sensational update! well written! Geet is invited 4 Vyan n Kittu's engagement! Anaya called n invited pr a get together - Maan n Ayan will be there! Geet tells abt the engagement n Anaya says after! Geet agrees! Anaya says the post at KC is available! Geet thinks Anaya asked Maan abt it! She explains! Geet feels guilty 2 doubting her! Kittu n Vyan engaged! Geet n Nidhi chat! Ayan compliments Geet as she must have been mistaken as the bride! Maan seems awkward! Geet intervenes! Geet enjoys the evening! wonderful evening! Maan drops her home! They chat! Maan gng on a business trip! he tells her she was looking beaufiful!  Geet at KM! She offers 2 get Ameera 3 have her milk! Geet abt 2 fall bt hero saves her! Ahh wt a moment! update soon! TC

Edited by khwaishfan - 8 years ago
muskanp thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7
Thanks for updating
Awesome part
I can see the Sparks 😳

Lovely part
Ending so dreamy hain
Waiting waiting
ksasi thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail