Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 8 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 1 months ago

Originally posted by: srkat

Woh sab chodo.....I was reading many people online say that Dunki is like Veer Zaara.....had my expectations raised as Veer Zaara is my all-time favorite film

What did I end up watching? A PLASTIC version of Veer Zaara.....that's what this crap Dunki was!

Don't make the movie responsible for your expectations...and believing other people's impression...you're not a kid anymore, right?

Dunki was neither "crap" nor a "plastic version" of Veer Zaara...why even compare Dunki to VZ (absolutely different content-wise and intention-wise)...

Personally, I'm quite disappointed by such a post from someone who regularly makes predictions of movie-successes based on the own knowledge about Hindi Cinema...

Edited by Clochette - 1 months ago
srkat thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: Clochette

Don't make the movie responsible for your expectations...and believing other people's impression...you're not a kid anymore, right?

Dunki was neither "crap" nor a "plastic version" of Veer Zaara...why even compare Dunki to VZ (absolutely different content-wise and intention-wise)...

Personally, I'm quite disappointed by such a post from someone who regularly makes predictions of movie-successes based on the own knowledge about Hindi Cinema...

I shared my opinion about a film. If you are offended by my opinion, then sorry, I just don't know what to tell you.

Some online were comparing Dunki to Veer Zaara. I didn't start that comparison.

Clochette thumbnail

I shared my opinion about a film. If you are offended by my opinion, then sorry, I just don't know what to tell you.

Some online were comparing Dunki to Veer Zaara. I didn't start that comparison.

It didn't feel like  y o u r  opinion about the movie but like your not-fulfilled expectations based on someone else's impression... that's what  I did not understand as Dunki is in no way what you wrote about...(when not biased against the movie)...and you definitely made a positive impression on me with many of your analyses about Hindi movies... (maybe you should watch Dunki a 2nd time then???)

Woh sab chodo.....I was reading many people online say that Dunki is like Veer Zaara.....had my expectations raised as Veer Zaara is my all-time favorite film

What did I end up watching? A PLASTIC version of Veer Zaara.....that's what this crap Dunki was!

Oh Godddd πŸ’€

Clochette thumbnail

What has "God" to do with that???

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

I, too, found Dunki illogical or insincere in many aspects. 

But I don't share the same sentiments as TM in regard to immigration. Visas and border crossing rules and regulations are a modern invention. They didn't exist until the early 20th century. Back in the day, borders were porous, and people constantly crossed borders for trade, immigration, conquests, and more. 

European nations had their way when they wanted to colonize the world for their advantage. But then, when people from colonized nations started traveling the other way for better opportunities, they had a problem. The United States is a nation built on illegally stolen land from indigenous people and has the audacity to complain about people encroaching. And it's not even as if it's a thing of the past. Every day, sovereign native nations are fighting to prevent their lands from being illegally stolen again to build pipelines, highways, golf courses, public hunting grounds, and housing sprawls. 

The people who need visas and immigration are poor people. However, the cost of immigration makes it accessible to the wealthy, who don't actually need to immigrate. 

I am that person who believes no human is illegal and artificial borders and nations are the biggest shared human delusion. 

Anyway, the big problem with Dunki was that none of the characters were sympathetic. Barring Sukhi, none of them had a cause or reason you could get behind and root for. So, the journey is deadly and arduous, but I couldn't muster empathy for why people were enduring it. 

The return journey home felt the most anticlimactic. Most migrants who take deadly routes to immigrate don't want to go back despite their shitty jobs. That is because they were fleeing real poverty, violence, and persecution. The fact that all characters wanted to return home proved that they had no good reason to immigrate in the first place. It made the least sense for Manu to go back because, in the UK, she basically would receive free cancer treatment and end-of-life palliative care.

It also showed the UK as one note. Sure, there is racism and abuse. But there are also many good people and good opportunities. Most migrants often do love their home country and where they are. Each country has their pros and cons, and to show life as a migrant in UK as all bad was also not right. 

Finally, why is everyone obsessed with the USA and the UK when there is a whole world of better opportunities with easier migration? 

fantasyshowfan thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

I agree with the topic maker on almost everything. I don't think the movie is asking to remove migration laws - just asking for them to be more humane, though the monologue is pretty lame in my opinion. 

I also hated the changes in tone of the movie - some things are shocking ( the way some co travellers were shot as a sport), some comedic (totally out of place) and some pretty raw and tragic. But the movie has pathetic flow and nothing sticks.

Also never understood the characters' motivations - Tapsee's brother was dead, did she ever stop to think if getting that house back was more important than her old parents losing their daughter as well to some foreign land, never to see her again? When she asked for asylum she pretty much closed all legal options of returning back. Did the friend's mom resign from her job as security guard once she started getting money from her son? What did she want for herself, was she that desperate to leave that job or it was all in the son's head? Also the inconsistency in tone is pretty obvious when her losing all her life's savings was used for some pathetic comedy.

Why were these characters so sure that Hardy would help them when they did not remain in touch at all? Tapsee and Hardy's love does not come across as some undying love, rather it seems that she used him out of desperation. Their fake patriotism when returning back is also pretty stupid - they show no respect to their homes of 20 years, nor any loyalty to their birth country.

Originally posted by: Clochette

What has "God" to do with that???

Umm isn’t that self-explanatory? 

Cpt.DudleySmith thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 8 Thumbnail + 3
forza thumbnail
Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Anniversary 3 Thumbnail
Posted: a month ago

You guys must be joking, I personally know nearly 10 people who made to Europe through Dunki ways, And one of them used to be my close friend who took nearly 6 years to reach and settle in Germany.

I also know a guy who did go Dunki rote to Europe and despair for 24 years, he came back home in 2018 he never reached Europe, He settled in North Africa and has Nigerian wife with 2 children.