_symphony thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 2 months ago

Spoiler alert! 

So now that the film is streaming on Netflix i finally had a chance to watch it and man what is wrong with the super talented man, Mr Hirani! While watching you cant help but feel bad as his brilliant film making skills are still so visibly present when he narrates a tale. But the movie is so haphazard it has no idea what message it is trying to convey. 

Illegal immigration is a serious topic. And it’s not ok to brush serious issues with some lame comedy. In the entire film Hirani tries hard to generate sympathy for people who illegally cross borders and tries to force it as something that is morally correct which clearly it is not! Even if we leave the legal perspective, even logically it isn’t. In one scene Tapsee Pannu is shown lying in the British court that she has threat from her country to seek asylum and then when she comes back to india after 25 years, a patriotic song plays in the background. Lol! The other side characters do the same and later when they are returning to India, they spit at their British bosses. At that point they all seem like a bunch of super selfish people who have no sense of loyalty towards anyone they are just loyal to some money. And the funnier part is none of them apart from Tapsee pannu has any serious reason to go to London. Even when they see their friend living in pathetic condition in London they refuse ro come back. 

While the issue of illegal immigration is serious and huge, in no way you can have a justification for it. Yes there can be discussion about how immigrants must be treated but not about if it’s correct or not. 

The movie again and again tries to convey that getting opportunities abroad is only for the rich but is that true? When it itself shows that one way to go abroad is the IELTS  for which none of them seriously studies. Also Vicky Kaushal’s character is denied visa even though he just wants to go for a day.. Umm anyone heard about tourist visa? 

All the characters in the film do lame ass shit and then try to justify it in the name of ‘we are trying to earn money for our family’ while none of their family members are ever shown in dire need of money lol

Wonder what raju hirani was thinking while making this film! There have been other films that revolved around illegal immigration like Bajrangi bhaijan or Shiddat but it seemed so much justified there because of the way the circumstances of the protagonists were shown. But here it made no sense.

There is a reason migration laws are in place and one emotionally charged non sensical film cant question it. Of course migrating to rich countries like the US or UK is more for the well to do folks but so many countries with equally good opportunities offer easier visas. 

Edited by _symphony - 2 months ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Maroonporsche thumbnail

I didnt read any of that. But when I saw word  Shiddat I was happy. Thats a great movie but I dont think lots of people even heard about it smiley9

prerna4rishav thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6

I agree. I mentioned it in my reviews as well that the message got the movie diluted. Open border is a serious discussion. The point that if today one is willing to invest $1M to a foreign country and he/she’ll easily land a residence permit is exactly the point that it’s also going to contribute to the economy in terms of tax returns. Illegal immigration cannot be supported from any angle. It’s same as asking to remove law and order because in our country it’s mostly misused against the poor. But that’s not a solution. 

There’s a reason I didn’t have any connect to the much talked about SRK’s court scene even if I wanted to. And I kept feeling bad for the poor judge for sticking to the points and appearing heartless in Hirani’s screenplay. smiley29 

wat_up thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

I will comment soon. Only thing I would say Amir khan would have been more adept. I just miss the munna bhai series. Hirani since Pk tends to be having weaker scripts. 

1t1svat1t1s thumbnail

I agree. The movie was not coherent with the reality and kept confusing itself with where it wanted to go. It definitely lacked the Vidhu Vinod Chopra touch. 

Kyahikahoon thumbnail
IPL 2024 Match Winner 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 15 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: _symphony

Spoiler alert! 

So now that the film is streaming on Netflix i finally had a chance to watch it and man what is wrong with the super talented man, Mr Hirani! While watching you cant help but feel bad as his brilliant film making skills are still so visibly present when he narrates a tale. But the movie is so haphazard it has no idea what message it is trying to convey. 

Illegal immigration is a serious topic. And it’s not ok to brush serious issues with some lame comedy. In the entire film Hirani tries hard to generate sympathy for people who illegally cross borders and tries to force it as something that is morally correct which clearly it is not! Even if we leave the legal perspective, even logically it isn’t. In one scene Tapsee Pannu is shown lying in the British court that she has threat from her country to seek asylum and then when she comes back to india after 25 years, a patriotic song plays in the background. Lol! The other side characters do the same and later when they are returning to India, they spit at their British bosses. At that point they all seem like a bunch of super selfish people who have no sense of loyalty towards anyone they are just loyal to some money. And the funnier part is none of them apart from Tapsee pannu has any serious reason to go to London. Even when they see their friend living in pathetic condition in London they refuse ro come back. 

While the issue of illegal immigration is serious and huge, in no way you can have a justification for it. Yes there can be discussion about how immigrants must be treated but not about if it’s correct or not. 

The movie again and again tries to convey that getting opportunities abroad is only for the rich but is that true? When it itself shows that one way to go abroad is the IELTS  for which none of them seriously studies. Also Vicky Kaushal’s character is denied visa even though he just wants to go for a day.. Umm anyone heard about tourist visa? 

All the characters in the film do lame ass shit and then try to justify it in the name of ‘we are trying to earn money for our family’ while none of their family members are ever shown in dire need of money lol

Wonder what raju hirani was thinking while making this film! There have been other films that revolved around illegal immigration like Bajrangi bhaijan or Shiddat but it seemed so much justified there because of the way the circumstances of the protagonists were shown. But here it made no sense.

There is a reason migration laws are in place and one emotionally charged non sensical film cant question it. Of course migrating to rich countries like the US or UK is more for the well to do folks but so many countries with equally good opportunities offer easier visas. 

That's n interesting perspective..haven't seen the movie yet so don't know how much it was justified of the characters to spite their British bosses. But there is a concept of Karmabhumi which is as much important as Janmabhumi. U came there willingly..in this case even illegally..and earned ur bread n butter there. There may be complaints n grudges but why spit on them?

NoraSM thumbnail

Spoiler alert! 

There are your answers.

Characters who were doing things illegally will obviously try to justify themselves but as you have written yourself, the movie and their surroundings don't support their actions and motivations

Movie never glorifies illegal immigration, they didn't even try to give them a good reason to do it, wouldn't it be sympathizing with them if they had a good reason to go? 

As you said the movie shows that IELTS is a way to go abroad and all people who have that plane on top of their housed went to abroad through it but your main characters refuse to study seriously and resorted to cheating and failed 

You are confusing character's motivations with movie's message 

NimbuMirchi thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

Completely agree. 

SRK’s character Hardy takes an illegal route to reach UK. Then refuses to lie in the British court coz he is an Army man and a patriot. Itna galt karne ke baad.. end mein sachhai yad aa gai. smiley36

And illegal immigration is biggest issue many countries faces today. There are criminals and terrorists that could enter. The whole scene trying to paint Judge inhuman was nonsense. Judge was right and made all correct points. If the govt lets anybody in and that person does attacks where innocent citizens die, the same peeps will be up in arms. It should be every govt’s responsibility to first protect its citizens. 

The end credit shows real pics of migrants crossing border illegally and arriving in awful conditions was a such a dumb idea to promote lawlessness. There’s also a mention of - world didn’t have any border until some 150 years ago. What stupid social message is that? World goes back 150 years and remove borders? Again.. nonsensical idealistic rhetoric. 

The only saving grace was - comedy n acting by Vicky and Pannu. I enjoyed it coz I didn’t take story seriously. 

Edited by NimbuMirchi - 2 months ago
myviewprem thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Spoiler alert! 

why do you think indian and chinesse go to USA or canada to study because they love to study those subjects is it? Ghanta  

Because they want to settle in USA and canada nad get green cards and canada PR and not in india

They have no love to study anything bas majbori is that that is only way to reach those countries by hook or crook that is studies in their universitys 

Why do most punjabis go to USA/canada they hardly study anything they become taxi drivers or grocery shops 

Show me MBA/PHDs/Lawyyers in new york or canada who are punjabis 

Gujrathis patel shops are famous in USA do they migrate to study or educate 

80% do menial jobs or taxi driving or open shops who migrate to USA/canada most go on small term visa or visiting and just survive there only somehow 

No one goes for family or parents etc these are all ghanta lies 

I know many working in USA/canada who do not send 1 dollar to aged parents ever or wives back in india they marry again here for GC or PR 

Indeed indians brother marry sister to get Green card in usa or canada PR  

Why are 65000 plus H1Bs given every year cannot same job be done off shore easily 70% job can be done in india offshore only thanks to internet yet so many H1b given as US govt does not much understand IT jobs or those giving visa in embassy 

Only L1B or L1A are highly educated and exp and desrve to get US visa

Even B1 visa is a fraud visa they say business and go and sit coding in USA 

sadly immigration official or foreign minister of USA or president of USA do not understand ghanta of IT industry how it works or why visa required and for whom so they dole out 65k visa. 

Someone who understands IT will not give even 20K H1b 

Edited by myviewprem - 2 months ago
Autumnn thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5

Totally agree with you OP.

Ad for Dunki releasing on OTT is also questionable. Srk is in it. He is at visa centre as himself and when visa rejected, he says we have dunki way and chalo. Understand it is for to go see Dunki on Ott but the way that ad is done it seems he is saying Dunki way to go to foreign land is ok.