Did global media using Indian celebs work?

atominis thumbnail
Posted: 11 months ago

I want to ask everyone here including diaspora ones.

Did TIME, CNN, Forbes, foreign unis, media and brands or awards using Indian celebs or writers or artistes for own marketing, work?

Did it make a difference and make these brands known or more interesting to Indian masses?

Did it help raise prestige of Indians abroad? Or representation help? I mean did Deepika, ARR, RRR team, PC, Lilly Singh, Aamir and Lagaan team, Slumdog team at Oscars make any difference for Indians abroad or foreign brands and award shows and their TRPs in India?

The sudden influx of Indians being listed in Time or Forbes list or winning global awards is surely not just to reward talent but to tap a huge market.

So, did it work, in your opinion? Was it worth it? 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Haegeum thumbnail
Love Couple India Season 2 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 9 Thumbnail + 4

Don't you think its a bit too early to judge that? 

sev.puri thumbnail
Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Anniversary 3 Thumbnail

What’s your measure of success? I can’t speak for the brands you’ve listed but generally speaking on Instagram I’ve seen so many influencers jump on the Indian hype and it does wonders for their engagement/views/overall numbers, and hence $$$. In a country where TikTok is banned, and you have a 1bn+ population, the market is huge and people know that. Now I’m talking across all different fields. Chefs that used to make Western food, go crazy viral for making a biryani (and then see this and continue to target that audience). We’ve all seen that viral white dad dance to Indian songs with his son, now that’s 95% of his content. Similarly for blogs that discuss global politics, the focus shifts to Indian content much more once they see the views it gets them. Casual sports podcast reels where they don’t even watch cricket and with otherwise low engagement will go viral once a Virat Kohli is name dropped. So yeah, I’m sure it works to lure the Indian audience in. But foreign unis? I mean I somehow don’t think the University of Bedfordshire is going to see its Indian enrolment numbers skyrocket purely cos they were a first to give SRK a doctorate.😆

Nandini_goyal thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Supari_khala thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 11 Thumbnail + 7

Will take at least 2 more generations to find out. Other than Hollywood/billion dollar business circles, it truly doesn’t matter at the grassroots level. Ask anyone who has lived in the US their entire lives. 

Cannot speak for other Western countries. It may be different at least in the UK.

Is it? 

Edited by Supari_khala - 11 months ago
atominis thumbnail

It has been going on from 90s.

So I guess nearly 3 decades should be enough to start analysing what impact it had.

From an Indian POV I do think more Indians know about Oscars now thanks to Ray, Athaiya, ARR, Lagaan, RRR, Deepika as presenter etc, and probably more urban Indians aspire to someday be able to afford a Rado or Longines and more Indians definitely have adopted western foods or styles of clothes or aspire to study or live abroad or adopted global or western ideologies or aspire to learn and speak English in a certain accent or look a certain way. More Indians like to own a big foreign brand product and are no longer content with buying just local brands. They have become more aspirational.

I have no idea what the representation did for Indians abroad though. Did it help make Indians more 'known' or visible? Or prove that Indians also have it in them and are not just a land of tattered clothed snake charmers as shown in cartoons or comics or films earlier in the West? 

loginidran thumbnail
Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: sev.puri

What’s your measure of success? I can’t speak for the brands you’ve listed but generally speaking on Instagram I’ve seen so many influencers jump on the Indian hype and it does wonders for their engagement/views/overall numbers, and hence $$$. In a country where TikTok is banned, and you have a 1bn+ population, the market is huge and people know that. Now I’m talking across all different fields. Chefs that used to make Western food, go crazy viral for making a biryani (and then see this and continue to target that audience). We’ve all seen that viral white dad dance to Indian songs with his son, now that’s 95% of his content. Similarly for blogs that discuss global politics, the focus shifts to Indian content much more once they see the views it gets them. Casual sports podcast reels where they don’t even watch cricket and with otherwise low engagement will go viral once a Virat Kohli is name dropped. So yeah, I’m sure it works to lure the Indian audience in. But foreign unis? I mean I somehow don’t think the University of Bedfordshire is going to see its Indian enrolment numbers skyrocket purely cos they were a first to give SRK a doctorate.😆

All that is good and dandy but it’s more like they are just exploiting the Indians because numbers are on our side. But given a choice do they seek out to watch an Indian movie or wear an Indian costume like how HW and western clothing have become a part of our lives? So far I have only seen the Indian Cuisine be able to cut into the western market.

Haegeum thumbnail
Love Couple India Season 2 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 9 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: atominis

It has been going on from 90s.

So I guess nearly 3 decades should be enough to start analysing what impact it had.

From an Indian POV I do think more Indians know about Oscars now thanks to Ray, Athaiya, ARR, Lagaan, RRR, Deepika as presenter etc, and probably more urban Indians aspire to someday be able to afford a Rado or Longines and more Indians definitely have adopted western foods or styles of clothes or aspire to study or live abroad or adopted global or western ideologies or aspire to learn and speak English in a certain accent or look a certain way. More Indians like to own a big foreign brand product and are no longer content with buying just local brands. They have become more aspirational.

I have no idea what the representation did for Indians abroad though. Did it help make Indians more 'known' or visible? Or prove that Indians also have it in them and are not just a land of tattered clothed snake charmers as shown in cartoons or comics or films earlier in the West? 

Neither. Indians got better representation in the form of the tech sector in the US .

sev.puri thumbnail
Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Anniversary 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: loginidran

All that is good and dandy but it’s more like they are just exploiting the Indians because numbers are on our side. But given a choice do they seek out to watch an Indian movie or wear an Indian costume like how HW and western clothing have become a part of our lives? So far I have only seen the Indian Cuisine be able to cut into the western market.

I’m almost OK with this exploitation of sorts because it means more options available to Indian consumers. Whether that’s through big international makeup brands tying up with Nykaa or whether that’s India finally getting its very own apple store where they for the first time can buy a product that’s not just from a reseller. And man the West is crazy about our clothes. The level of detail, the styling, the glam is honestly unmatched. It’s no wonder Zendaya and Gigi felt like princesses flaunting our clothes. But as you put it, the numbers are on our side, we just need to make sure we have the upper hand. I’d recommend this to watch:

https://youtube.com/shorts/417CAf5OQvQ?feature=share

NatkhatPyare thumbnail

There was a time when I used to see reaction videos on Indian songs & singers like Shreya, Sonu, Arijit etc. But after watching a few videos I realised that they are just using us Indians to get more views, likes and subscribes. Some of those youtubers did a bit overacting while praising or giving reactions and that gave it away....

😆

I don't blame them though. It's our own need for validation and to feel good that they want to use for their benefit. It's a kind of give & take. 😆