Posted: 1 years ago

Yes Pollywood is Punjabi cinema and it sounds cringe AF.

Sometimes when something gets stuck in contemporary verbiage, you can either fight the uphill battle against it or own it and make it your own. 

Originally posted by wat_up

When I saw this title I thought it had todo with our Bollywood as it’s a nick name given

A nick name should not be a demeaning name, I feel.

Originally posted by wat_up

Edit: Is pollywood referring to Punjabi cinema.

Yes. Isn't it highly ridiculous?!

Originally posted by Maroonporsche

...Let’s just go from here
let’s refer to it as Hindi film industry, if others do that’s good.

Yes, please...everybody who does it, gives a bit more respect to the Hindi filmindustry, to the people who work there, to the work they do (regardless the own liking).

When I talk to 'ignorami' about Hindi Cinema and they don't understand, I can still explain that it is Indian Cinema in Hindi language.

Originally posted by Sea-stars

That's because of impact of imperialism.

Then it is high time to make THIS impact vanish...

Originally posted by PangaNaLe

Okay, then first we should ask Vijay to change the name of this forum.smiley36

Why "first"...Why not start with just not using the word anymore in the own posts..."baby steps" 😊

Originally posted by Saleem-Pheku

@Clochette - Does it really matter to the quality of movies produced? Hollywoodiyas can make whatever they want with this name...

Only understood the English part...of course I know where the term comes from...and no, "Hollywoodiyas" also should learn and accept, that it is INDIAN Cinema in Hindi language...in their mind, they just don't take movies from 'Bollywood' serious and feel superior.

Originally posted by shubh.shubh

when this industry itself is a copy paste by copying most films from either west or international cinema and stealing most songs from the neighboring country then no harm in a copy cat name Bollywood, infect it suits given the scenario.

Other filmindustries do that, too...and NOT ALL Hindi movies do that...it would suffice to say "this Hindi movie is a copy cat from...", right?

Originally posted by return_to_hades

Sometimes when something gets stuck in contemporary verbiage, you can either fight the uphill battle against it or own it and make it your own.

It's a personal choice one has to use either the correct term or to use a demeaning term...it's lazyness or indifference to use something one could decide not to use, I think. Just a small decision...

Originally posted by atominis

Yes Pollywood is Punjabi cinema and it sounds cringe AF.

ok. I just think we need to not divide the entertainment industry into divisions. In the Usa it’s only Hollywood no division, but then again that’s the main sector making movies. Whereas north and south make their own cinema but when a movie as Punjabi or other actor and it’s considered a Hindi movie then it’s a Bollywood movie. I bring this point because some people were critical about bahubali and saying Indian/hindi records should be in Bollywood only.

In my opinion either we don’t include movies which are not outright Hindi movies like bb1 and bb2 as I’m sure they have records in the south as well unless it’s considered a Bollywood release mainly. Experts do tell how Bollywood movies do in other languages but those movies I haven’t seen declared in south sites correct me in case they have been. 

A Hindi (Punjabi, Gujarati, Tamil, Telugu...) movie is clearly defined by the ORIGINAL language. BB2 is a Telugu movie which was released in other languages, too. The comparison with Pathaan gives only a record-breaking for BB2's Hindi version. BB2 is still the most successfull Indian movie when considering all language versions.

Hindi movies in other language film-industry regions generally do not well, I think, even the dubbed ones. Still, I read that Pathaan had a good welcome.

I am asking because I want Tiger 3 to smash records in every region !! This movie I have been waiting in years and the spyverse series  with both the  Khans 

Jess, I don't know about the acceptance of a Salman movie as such, but I guess, as it belongs to the SpyUniverse and has dubbed versions, it will get some recognition. 😊

Originally posted by Clochette

Only understood the English part...of course I know where the term comes from...and no, "Hollywoodiyas" also should learn and accept, that it is INDIAN Cinema in Hindi language...in their mind, they just don't take movies from 'Bollywood' serious and feel superior.

So let them do the due diligence to understand that Bollywood refers to Hindi film industry.... Why should Hindi Film Industry (Bollywood) care? Also, let them feel superior... we should focus on churning better movies than thinking about this name thingy... To borrow another IF user's name, iTiSwHATiTiS... 

Do you know the meaning of "what's in a word", Saleem?

Actually, I would like that people don't give a pejorative term to something, when a neutre term is possible, too (which is).

Why shouldn't it be possible to use the term that had been used before the word "Bollywood" even existed?

Why not make people know that a Hindi movie is an Indian one in Hindi language and NOT a Bollywood one (because this term was deliberately associated to Hollywood although NOT all mainstream Hindi movies have copied from Hollywood movies, right?)

Edited by Clochette - 1 years ago
Originally posted by Clochette

Jess, I don't know about the acceptance of a Salman movie as such, but I guess, as it belongs to the SpyUniverse and has dubbed versions, it will get some recognition. 😊

Isn't Salman movie Hum aapke hain kaun STILL the highest net grosser ever in India with 700 crores net and worldwide as well with 1500-1600 crores till today? 

what kind of acceptance we are talking about here?