Actors who made you watch other language cinema

atominis thumbnail
Posted: 1 years ago

For me it was Rajinikanth, Kamal Haasan, Ramya Krishnan, Anushka Shetty, Chiranjeevi, Vijayshanti who made me watch Tamil and Telugu films.

And Suchitra Sen who made me check out Bengali films.

Which actors made you check out films in language other than yours or made you feel like learning language or learning about that culture or industry or check subtitles and translations? 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

loginidran thumbnail
Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 3 Thumbnail

Amitabh Bachchan, Rajesh Khanna, Sanjeev Kumar, Jaya Baduri, Amol Palekar, Irfan Khan,Smita Patil, Mammoty, Mohanlal, Ajit, Parvati,Vijay Sethupathi etc. 

pathaka thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 6

Dulquer, prithviraj, nivin pauly, fahad fasil and nitya menon got me to watch malayalam cinema

Kiccha sudeep briefly for kannada cinema …

Madhavan, ajith and surya and Trisha made me watch Tamil cinema …(late 90s to early 2000s when they were all cuties )

Edited by pathaka - 1 years ago
oh_nakhrewaali thumbnail

On the top of my head: Dulquer, Sai Pallavi, Diljit 

capricornrcks thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

I'm binging on Vikram, Trisha, Karthi  and Jayam Ravi's films after watching Ponniyin Selvan. Fresh faces, great performances and no PR antics.

I'm surprised by the sheer number of women acting in negative roles as politicians, Dons, money lenders etc.

They don't hesitate to show caste issues though not that much on religious differences or diversity.

Enough masala without flying cars.

atominis thumbnail

Totally well said about regional cinema.

Among filmmakers I must say Satyajit Ray, and among massy types S. Shankar and SS Rajamouli made me watch Bengali and Tamil, Telugu films.

tomnjerry2 thumbnail
IPL 2024 Match Winner 0 Thumbnail IPL 2023 Participants 2 Thumbnail + 8

Allu Arjun - Telugu 

Vijay - Tamil 

I hardly watch their movies dubbed into Hindi. I even watch Baahubali in Telugu. 

Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 8 Thumbnail + 4

The one actor who paved the way for me into other Indian language movies is SRK.

Through Dil Se (Mani Ratman), Hey Ram (Kamal Haasan), Ashoka (Ajith Kumar), Devdas (Aishwarya), Swades (Kishori Ballal), and Paheli (Amol Palekar), I already became curious, but at that time (2006), it was difficult for me to get DVDs of other languages with English subtitles (and not at all with sense-making German ones).

My curiosity was even hightened when I came across a blog from an American SRK-fan where Indian Cinema was also talked about (actors/actresses/movies from other Indian filmindustries).

Next, I had to find a streaming platform where I could watch movies from those filmindustries with English subtitles...and when I found one,  I started to watch Malayalam, Tamil, Telugu, Marathi, Punjabi, Bengali and Kannada movies (and my list grew longer and longer...and my time to watch what interested me lesser & lesser 😉).

So, basically, to me it was a journey into Indian cinema starting with SRK movies, then the Hindi filmindustry and then venturing into other Indian filmindustries...

I_M_SultaN thumbnail

Engan altan Turkish series 👍🏼

MiVida_Messi thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

Allu Arjun made me watch telugu movies, as a kid i watched Arya hindi dubbed version, but now i watch all his films if i get the telugu versions with subtitles.

The first time I watched a full fledged Tamil movie was out of curiosity, after listening ti Kolaveri di, it was 3 (moonu) and Dhanush was so good, like so so good, that I started following Tamil movie afterwards.

In case of Urdu content, it was Fawad Khan, Humsafar and Asher Hussain saved my life ☺️

Last but not the least, i watch hindi movies randomly, not for actors, but yeah the only actor whose films I never miss is Hrithik's, he is my all time favorite, no matter how bad the movie is I will watch it, multiple times, cry over the fact that he will take 3 more years to make a come back.