Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

vaidharbhi95 thumbnail
Micro Phobia Contest Participant 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 1 years ago

Originally posted by: BrhannadaArmour

Here are the links to my comments on the Nano Dramas: why these ones got my votes; which ones were written by me, which ones didn't get my votes.

Moving on to Round Two, there were a great many insights in these diverse Nano Tales. For my votes, I looked for entries with a special spark - originality, complexity, imagery, or any other mark of creativity.

Entry 26 

Sweat trickled down Bhima's forehead , each drop dissolving his pride. The monkey's tail didn't move.

This retelling of a well-known incident is skillful because it focusses on a physiological detail to make the action vivid. The figurative dissolution of pride with sweat-drops is an attractive use of language. The final words provide sufficient context along with a proper conclusion.

Thanks a lot for taking time out  for the  feedback and letting me know what exactly you liked about this story.

vaidharbhi95 thumbnail
Micro Phobia Contest Participant 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2

My thoughts about the eighty-two Nano Tales that didn't get my votes and weren't written by me:

Entry 24 

Babruvahana unleashes lethal arrow ...   Arjuna Collapses ...

Slayer of grandfather Bhishma lies slain by own son !!!

Entry 79 

"Stoooop mispronouncing Vedas , Father  !!!!!! "

The foetus twisted, wriggled forming eight crooks.

Ashtavakra became it's name .

In the original story, Aṣṭāvakra says, sarvāṃ rātrim adhyayanaṃ karoṣi, n'edaṃ pitaḥ samyag iv'opavartate - all night you give instruction, Father, this does not seem a correct occasion. The author has made a fascinating choice to remove Kahoḍa's curse from the story (Āraṇyakaparvan 132.8-10), and instead have Aṣṭāvakra twist himself in a reflexive response to mispronunciation.

Entry 11 

Ahhhhh !!!!  wailed  Uttara , clutching her stomach, profusely sweating. Krishna was combating BRAHMASTRA in her womb.

Entry 33 

Blood oozing from Barbarika's slayed head washed Krishna's feet.

May you be worshipped as KhatuShyam !!

Barbarīka is from Skandapurāṇa - Kaumārikākhaṇḍa, not Mahābhārata.

These are my entries. Thank you BrhannadaArmour for the honest feedback !!

Entry 79 - Actually I read about the curse separately in wiki but the Mahabharata book that is in my home, which I read since childhood is an English Translation by C.Rajagopalachari. Over there the curse is not mentioned but the foetus unable to bear the wrong intonation of vedas would twist itself in pain forming crooks .

Entry 33 - I didn't know it came from Skandapuran. The story behind KhatuShyam temple always fascinates me . In general people like to associate with the stronger party but Barbarika sacrificed his life to fulfill the promise of siding the weak . So I wanted to use this opportunity to present his story . 

HereAsMyself thumbnail
Micro Phobia Contest Participant 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

I am the author of these Nano Tales. Everyone is welcome to comment or criticize them.

Entry 1 

"Arjuna claims my Krsna's feet," Satyabhama brooded, massaging Arjuna's foot. "Drunk together, we're worlds apart."

HereAsMyself, thanks for your vote! Please tell me what you liked, or would improve.

Entry 4 

"Sikhandin's virile," the courtesans chuckled.

"Enjoy, imaginative princess!"

"Your reluctance nearly caused war."

Dasarni wept.

Entry 15 

"I gave birth. Drona listened," Krpi remembered. "Today, crying for Asvatthaman, did Drona need me?"

Entry 44 

"Son, this pestle's cracked. Throw it back!" Turi scolded Jara. "Hunt something tasty for Vasudeva!"

metacrisis, thanks for your vote! Please tell me what you liked, or would improve.

Entry 56 

"Forget Babhru," Sisupala told Sauviri.

"I have."

"Already?"

"Forgetting both kidnapper husbands, I remember myself."

Entry 64 

As Dhrstadyumna's arrows fell, Pratikamin reflected, "I hold reins of dead horses. Duryodhana holds mine."

Entry 68 

Samba screamed, delivering the iron pestle.

"Worse than battle? 'Babhru's baby,' you joked," Vasumdhara scoffed.

Entry 75 

"Dhrstaketu's dappled horses that once conveyed me home," Karenuvati thought, "reunite us from afterlife tonight."

Entry 77 

"Drona, like Srutadeva, was only visiting," Hiranyadhanus reasoned with Ekalavya. "Citizens forget. Nisadas are grateful."

Entry 80 

"Sakuni taught Citrasena to cheat," Vikarna confided. "Winning never satisfies Citrasena. Always doubts his skill."

Entry 82 

"You're courting Salveya's Uttara? She's our son's age!" Duhsala protested.

"I like pancalika-dolls," Jayadratha smirked.

Entry 85 

"Can't ... get ... out!" Pariksit whined, inside the snugly tucked deerskin.

Remembering Abhimanyu, Subhadra hugged Uttara.

I loved the story about Arjuna and Satyabhama because it depicts a rare moment when Arjuna interacts with one of Krishna's wives. Mahabharata is as much an epic of what-ifs as of what actually happened, and this story is a refreshing glimpse into the former. It makes you wonder about the relationship between Arjuna and Krishna's household, especially considering things like Arjuna married Krishna's sister (and Krishna presumably helped raise Abhimanyu) and Krishna's friendship with Draupadi.

Thank you for your feedback on the rest of the stories. I look forward to reading what you thought of each entry everytime there's a contest ❤️

HereAsMyself thumbnail

Originally posted by: Bee222

Congrats my girls! 🤗 Extra happy for you guys! 🥳

Thank you so much ❤️

HereAsMyself thumbnail

Originally posted by: oye_nakhrewaali

Congratulations to the winners 🏆 great contest Simi💓 

Thank you so much ❤️

HereAsMyself thumbnail

Originally posted by: vaidharbhi95

Many many congratulations guys !!🥳🥳

( I am unable to tag few so pls excuse if I have missed out any)

Congratulations to every single author who contributed to the contest with such amazing entries and thank you Quantum Dot for organizing such an interesting contest. It was so much fun to  participate !!!!

Thank you so much ❤️

MaDiee thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Write The Bite Contest (Participation) 0 Thumbnail + 2

Thank you so much!! I'm so glad I could make it up to win the Judges choice award for Nano tale. Feeling honoured!😳

Congratulations to all the thinkers!!! Kudos to the achievers and wonderful efforts by the all the writers.

Keep writing!❤️

HereAsMyself thumbnail

Thank you, everyone, for your kind words! I never expected to see my name in the list of winners for this contest -- there were so many wonderful entries, many about characters or events from the Mahabharata I couldn't recall having even heard of before. I had gone out with a friend and had a good day, but coming back to the results of the contest made my day even better!

Congratulations to both fellow participants and fellow winners. All the entries were wonderful, as I said, and I really enjoyed participating. 

A big thanks to organizer Quantum-Dot, the judges and the voters. Here's hoping there are many, many more contests like this in which we all get to participate and discuss!

Finally, please do keep tagging me, anyone and everyone else who organizes a writing contest😳

Edited by HereAsMyself - 1 years ago
Bee222 thumbnail

Originally posted by: missFiesty_69

Thanks Bee 🤗🤗 it means a lot coming from you ❤️ 

This contest has certainly boosted my morale ⭐️

Congratulations Beee 🥳🥳

I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU 

Meri vedi mulgi 😍 I'm so happy for you too! 🤗

Kya coming from me yaar, I was just as much of a newbie here as you 😆

I was so hesitant about participating, but Simi really encouraged a lot ❤️ Mera bhi morale kaafi boost hua hai 

BrhannadaArmour thumbnail

Originally posted by: HereAsMyself

I loved the story about Arjuna and Satyabhama because it depicts a rare moment when Arjuna interacts with one of Krishna's wives. Mahabharata is as much an epic of what-ifs as of what actually happened, and this story is a refreshing glimpse into the former. It makes you wonder about the relationship between Arjuna and Krishna's household, especially considering things like Arjuna married Krishna's sister (and Krishna presumably helped raise Abhimanyu) and Krishna's friendship with Draupadi.

Thank you for this comment. If anyone wants to know how much of each of my Nano Dramas and Nano Tales is "what actually happened" in the text and how much is my "what if this character reacted this way" interpretation, you can read them in these books, which include the canonical basis of each story.

https://www.indiaforums.com/fanfiction/2878

https://www.indiaforums.com/fanfiction/2797

For example, Arjuna getting drunk with Kṛṣṇa and putting his foot on Satyabhāmā is "what actually happened."

What you presume about Kṛṣṇa raising Abhimanyu is explicitly stated by Satyabhāmā at Āraṇyakaparvan 224.11-14: all five of Kṛṣṇā Draupadī's sons were trained to fight in Dvāravatī, just like Abhimanyu, where they were lovingly looked after by Subhadrā and Pradyumna-jananī (Rukmiṇī). Satyabhāmā says that Keśava distinguishes them above Bhānu etc. (Satyabhāmā's own sons), and her father-in-law (Vasudeva) makes sure they're fed and clothed. Rāma and all the Andhaka-Vṛṣṇis love them just as much as Pradyumna.