Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

BrhannadaArmour thumbnail
Posted: 1 years ago

Originally posted by: vaidharbhi95

So HariVamsa Puran, has nothing like love story ?

Krishna is formally invited to attend  Rukmini-Shishupala wedding and he suddenly decides to abduct her without him knowing about her feelings ?

( This seems weird, kidnapping a woman without consent feels so unlike Krishna )

So Shrimad Bhagavat is the only text that supports a full fledged love story with letter ?

Yes, the Harivaṃśa text tells us that Kṛṣṇa suddenly decided to abduct Rukmiṇī without knowing her feelings. Likewise, Kṛṣṇa advised Arjuna to kidnap Subhadrā by surprise because who knows what she might do by her own choice (sa tvam Arjuna kalyāṇīṃ prasahya bhaginīṃ mama hara. svayaṃvare hy asyāḥ ko vai veda cikīrṣitam; Ādiparvan 211.23).

The oldest text with the love story may be Bhāgavata-purāṇa, but plenty of writers have embellished it since then.

vaidharbhi95 thumbnail
Micro Phobia Contest Participant 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: BrhannadaArmour

Yes, the Harivaṃśa text tells us that Kṛṣṇa suddenly decided to abduct Rukmiṇī without knowing her feelings. Likewise, Kṛṣṇa advised Arjuna to kidnap Subhadrā by surprise because who knows what she might do by her own choice (sa tvam Arjuna kalyāṇīṃ prasahya bhaginīṃ mama hara. svayaṃvare hy asyāḥ ko vai veda cikīrṣitam; Ādiparvan 211.23).

The oldest text with the love story may be Bhāgavata-purāṇa, but plenty of writers have embellished it since then.

Can u  help me understand this  ?

Who was telling Rukmiṇī about Kṛṣṇa? The text suggests that it was Rukmin, who competed with Kṛṣṇa of marvellous deeds perpetually, being proficient in astras as a student of Druma Kiṃpuruṣa and Rāma Jāmadagnya. And who was telling Kṛṣṇa about Rukmiṇī? The text suggests that it was Śiśupāla's mother, the paternal aunt for whose pleasure Kṛṣṇa came to attend Śiśupāla's wedding to Rukmiṇī, and whose name just happens to be Śrutaśravas - "hearing-reputation."

Rama Jamadagnya means Parshurama right ?

OMG !!  So was Rukmin a student of Parshurama ? 

So he must himself be a mighty warrior .

Coming to Rukmin competing with Krishna 

Compete here doesn't mean actual rivalry right,  because both  Rukmi and Krishna studied under different guru, then how come Rukmi developed this rivalry against Krishna?

I found this para in English Trans of Harivamsa Puran

"The highly powerful Rukshmi obtained divine weapons from Druma and Brahma weapon from Jamadagni's son Rāma. He always used to boast before Krishna of wonderful deeds"

So Rukmi and Krishna had met much before Rukmini's abduction . This perspective of Rukmi himself being the one telling Rukmini about Krishna is so interesting.

But why and how did Rukmi and Krishna meet is something I can't understand .

(Maybe because both were associated with Shishupala ??)

Edited by vaidharbhi95 - 1 years ago
wayward thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 8

Please do write the story of Rukmin subtly instigating Rukmiṇī to run away with Kṛṣṇa.

Mahābhārata's version has no love letter; instead, Harivaṃśa 87.13-17 tells us that Kṛṣṇa desired Rukmiṇī just for her reputed beauty (rūpeṇ'āsadṛśī bhuvi. cakame Vāsudevas tāṃ śravād eva), and she desired him just for his reputed energy, heroism, and strength (abhilaṣitas tasyāḥ śravād eva Janārdanaḥ tejo-vīrya-bal'opetaḥ).

Who was telling Rukmiṇī about Kṛṣṇa? The text suggests that it was Rukmin, who competed with Kṛṣṇa of marvellous deeds perpetually, being proficient in astras as a student of Druma Kiṃpuruṣa and Rāma Jāmadagnya. And who was telling Kṛṣṇa about Rukmiṇī? The text suggests that it was Śiśupāla's mother, the paternal aunt for whose pleasure Kṛṣṇa came to attend Śiśupāla's wedding to Rukmiṇī, and whose name just happens to be Śrutaśravas - "hearing-reputation."

The text is silent about Rukmiṇī's feelings when her father Bhīṣmaka accepts Śiśupāla's proposal, when she goes to the Aindra temple to worship Indrāṇī the day before the wedding, and when Kṛṣṇa decides on the spot to snatch her. Only when Rukmin has fallen unconscious, Rukmiṇī falls at her husband's feet to plead for her brother's life (Harivaṃśa 88.27). What Kṛṣṇa discussed with his brother Rāma is also left to our imagination. They were there to please Śrutaśravas, they saw Rukmiṇī going into the temple, they talked, and by the time she came out of the temple, they had decided to abduct her and notified the Vṛṣṇis for cover. Was the Vṛṣṇi woman Śrutaśravas a member of the crowd observing Rukmiṇī's temple visit? How did everyone who came to celebrate with Śrutaśravas agree to spoil her son's wedding?

If you don't write the story, I just might!

Auntie Sruta is plain goals, always be rooting for her! smiley16 (but no wonder Shishu bhai is jealous, fiancee toh chodo mummy tak bhao nahi deti 🤣)

You only go ahead and write, I haven't written even 500 words in the last month, so a full-fledged story from me is highly improbable. 😆

Karipura = elephant city = Hāstinapura. See more synonyms here.

The elephant originated in the name of King Hastin; it became the capital city's mascot; you associated it with the princes and relocated it to Indraprastha ... that's how poetic allusions develop across centuries.

I appreciate this thoughtful explanation.

Thanks man, I always believed, by Yudi/Dury's time, the Hasti part of the city name had become more enmeshed with the general grandeur of the animal rather than the old king!

Thank you so much for the encouragement. Since you've written about Śikhaṇḍin, and that was the topic we first discussed in the Mythological Masti forum, I was expecting your reactions to my three Nano Dramas and one Nano Tale featuring Śikhaṇḍin, his wife Dāśārṇī, and his son Kṣatradeva. If you don't have comments on them specifically, that's fine too.

You voted for my Nano Tale featuring Turī and Jarā, but your posts in this thread don't mention it. Do you like dark humour?

About Shikhandi, I'm myself very confused. There are so many loose ends in the story that could be tied up in so many different ways. His/her life was filled with such polarities...I always found the end of their character to be gut-wrenching. Somehow, that hurts me more than the other war casualties. The fact that they had no direct enmity toward Ashwatthama, and yet Ashwathhama takes a break from his normal revenge course to be specifically transphobic towards Shikhandi, and to kill their family (at least that's the version I've grown up with) in front of them, just too painful!

I loved your tales though, in fact, the Dasarni one made me think about a Bengali version of the myth...where Radha's husband Aayan Ghosh is a transperson, who in this story ends up exchanging with Shikhandi, instead of the Yaksha. Aayan then becomes a Vaishnava saint called Aayaani Boshtumi and she and Radha then live out the rest of their lives in a small cottage in the outskirts of Vrindavan (in some versions, raising Radha's twin boys with Krishna...Uttara Kanda Take 2 basically)

The Jara one, you're right I do like dark humour. However, the whole Mausala Parva I find especially painful so I usually go out of my way to avoid anything to do with that part of MB, but your writing made me make an exception from my general pretending-it-didn't-happen thing. 😳

wayward thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 8

Oof, behan seedha dinosaur era se nikal le aayi 🤣

Full disclosure, I wrote the thing when I was fourteen, so adult me shouldn't be held responsible for the world of cringe that would await the reader 😆

But, honestly, thanks hun! 🤗

Rama Jamadagnya means Parshurama right ?

Yes.

But why and how did Rukmi and Krishna meet is something I can't understand .

(Maybe because both were associated with Shishupala ??)

Rivalry could simply mean that one warrior heard people talking about another warrior being "the best" and then did something to get his own name in the news. It's not necessary that Rukmin and Kṛṣṇa ever met before Kṛṣṇa came to Vidarbha to attend Śiśupāla's wedding. However, if a storyteller wants to imagine occasions ...

When Kṛṣṇa tells the Pāṇḍavas about Jarāsaṃdha, he says that Bhīṣmaka is loyal to Jarāsaṃdha despite his own nobility and strength, and although Kṛṣṇa's kingdom tries to be friendly to Vidarbha, being relatives through marriage, and seeks an alliance, Bhīṣmaka refuses and remains hostile (Sabhāparvan 13.21-23). At this time, Kṛṣṇa and Rukmiṇī are already parents of young adult Pradyumna, but it's possible that even before, Kṛṣṇa was a diplomatic messenger to Vidarbha and met Rukmin without coming face-to-face with Rukmiṇī.

In the same speech, Kṛṣṇa narrates that Jarāsaṃdha's army had reached Śūrasena, but he turned back without ever fighting a battle, because his allies Ḍibhaka and Haṃsa had drowned themselves in Yamunā (Sabhāparvan 13.34-43). This story, in which Kṛṣṇa admits that he couldn't win a battle and had to play a trick, matches his characterization in the Mahābhārata War. Perhaps later storytellers, determined to portray Kṛṣṇa as a deadly divine force, created the myth of Jarāsaṃdha's twenty armies besieging Mathurā eighteen times for a total of 360 battles. When Rukmin joins this siege, he is called a foremost archer who always rivalled Vāsudeva and Arjuna in strength (Harivaṃśa 80.11). So, even though Kṛṣṇa spent his childhood in a vraja instead of a noble family, according to the text of Harivaṃśa as we have it now, maybe the storyteller imagined that the battle between Rukmin and Kṛṣṇa at Mathurā (Harivaṃśa 81.99-101, 82.2) wasn't the beginning of their rivalry.

According to Harivaṃśa 96.52, Bhīṣmaka and Āhvṛti (either Bhīṣmaka's brother or his son Rukmin) supported Kaṃsa's rule when Kaṃsa couldn't catch Kṛṣṇa and instead put Ugrasena and Vasudeva in fetters.

Viswasruti thumbnail

Originally posted by: DelusionsOfNeha

Madhu, GA ka thoda followup kar lo please, Shruti hasn't opened my PM yet smiley9

I put a request immediately after the results were declared. She tried to make it GA. But the system wasn't accepted, because the thread is from Private forum. Later, I suggested to GM that let us try to shift it to public forum first, then it will be easy to shift it to GA. 

Shruti asked me to give her  Public forum link in the early morning, Both of us waited for the link for 14 hours. 

I put a request after I got the public forum link.  and it seems, she is not online. Sutapasima also put a request as Mod of Writers Corner. 

When the link is ready, she was offline. Let us wait. 

Bee222 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Viswasruti

Bee222 

for the Nano Tales

Draupadi clasped her saree tighter. Long after the ordeal was over, she still felt naked.

●●●●●●

Motherly love drowned by fear. Kunti just hoped her child would stay afloat. 

I realised when I read these entries that they were not written by an average writer, but rather by a writer who has the ability to look into a woman's heart and understand the deepest suffering and anguish.

The first one was scored more than 95%. As I said, all these entries in the 2nd Round  are praiseworthy ones. 

Thank you Madhuri for taking out the time to do this for us. It was lovely reading your thoughts on all these tales 💛💛

@bold: This is truly one of the most beautiful feedback I have ever received 🥺

Thank you for these words, they mean a lot! 💕

vaidharbhi95 thumbnail
Micro Phobia Contest Participant 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2

We can publish r entries as fan fiction right?

Is there any specific rules/guidelines ?

You've published before, so you may know that when you add a fan fiction, there is now a button to take you to the guidelines for trigger warnings, content warnings, and G/M/R/X ratings.

FFEditors (represented by oye_nakhrewaali) want you to publish only one book with all of your nano entries - either one chapter per entry or all entries in one chapter. However, they've conceded that authors are allowed to organize our own work, even to publish every drama/story separately and request a book cover for it.

DelusionsOfNeha published all of her tales in one chapter and all of her dramas in another chapter. I published my Nano Dramas as individual chapters in one book (together with an entry in the Micro Phobia contest), and my Nano Tales as individual chapters in another book (together with an entry in the Write the Bite contest).

Both of my books have the dharmakshetra content tag and the Mahabharat, Mahabharat, and Mythological Masti entity tags.

https://www.indiaforums.com/fanfiction/2878

https://www.indiaforums.com/fanfiction/2797

Quantum-Dot thumbnail

Yes ofcourse you can publish now.