Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Can you separate the art from the artist?

sev.puri thumbnail
Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Anniversary 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 1 years ago

Do you think you could objectively do so? Are you able to appreciate an actor if they were phenomenal and did their role to a T, but was an awful human being? Or for that matter done objectionable things? A few examples that come to mind:

- MJ was an incredible artist, but accused of being a child molester

- Alok Nath accused in the Me Too movement

- Sajid Khan also accused in the Me Too movement

- Vivek A/Anupam K/Akshay K accused of supporting a right wing political party

- Sonam/Swara etc accused of supporting a left wing party

- BigB/Rishi Kapoor accused of being a serial cheater

Is it safe to say the public has a short term memory? Or would you personally take a stance and refuse to watch/listen to any content related to shady individuals? I.e. stop listening to MJ’s music, refuse to watch Vivek’s movies, stop rewatching Sajid’s movies etc or are you actually able to separate the art from the artist and just enjoy good content and just don’t give a crap?😆

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 8 Thumbnail + 4

I admit that I can separate the art from the artist (as you've phrased in the title), but that doesn't mean that I "don't give a crap".

Still, I give the benefit of doubt to those accused of alleged wrongdoings when it isn't proven but just rumours.

sev.puri thumbnail
Originally posted by: Clochette

I admit that I can separate the art from the artist (as you've phrased in the title), but that doesn't mean that I "don't give a crap".

Still, I give the benefit of doubt to those accused of alleged wrongdoings when it isn't proven but just rumours.

So can you enjoy a movie by an artist you detest as long as said person wasn’t declared guilty in a court of law or well, openly admitted to committing the crime? What about countries that have low conviction rates or a shady justice system open to bribery? Or does the type of crime itself matter? Chris Brown for example seems to have a thriving career, classic case of people not giving a crap or just being able to separate the art from the artist?

Newbird thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

I generally don't follow offscreen stuff of almost all the actors/actresses... So I'm really not aware of offscreen personalities of these people. So it helps that it never affected my viewing experience of their movies.Even if I know I would give credit where it is due. 

I hate Kangana offscreen but if her acting is good in the movie I will watch it if the movie is good. I don't boycott watching. 

Similarly I don't care about offscreen personality of Michael Jackson but I still admire his talent in Music or dance. 

There may be other examples too but right now these 2 came to my mind. 

Newbird thumbnail
Originally posted by: Newbird

I generally don't follow offscreen stuff of almost all the actors/actresses... So I'm really not aware of offscreen personalities of these people. So it helps that it never affected my viewing experience of their movies.Even if I know I would give credit where it is due. 

I hate Kangana offscreen but if her acting is good in the movie I will watch it if the movie is good. I don't boycott watching. 

Similarly I don't care about offscreen personality of Michael Jackson but I still admire his talent in Music or dance. 

There may be other examples too but right now these 2 came to my mind. 

In this post I'm referring to any actors in general not about those mentioned in main post of TM cuz I really don't know who they are and what their movies. My post is mainly in relation to the question asked in the title header. 

Newbird thumbnail

I often come across these words "left wing" and "Right wing" in SM. Never understood what they even mean. Now looking at those 2 words from last two days in this forum I was only thinking in my head ki I'm a newbird with both wings, so I can't imagine having only one wing and flyhigh! 🤣

Basically I have almost zero knowledge about politics.So what any actors do in politics department I really never know or understand. I never liked any politician so don't feel like following politics related stuff. I Only see how the politics in India affected Medical education in India  and often feel like running away from country looking at recent pathetic changes in Medical education. Sorry I went off topic. If I talk about politics I only see how career in Medicine is affected in the country. That is the only politics I know. Again sorry for going off topic. 

MostlyHarmIess thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

If I find someone despicable, I make an effort to actively avoid the artist. I don't oppose to anyone else consuming their art though. 

Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 8 Thumbnail + 4
Originally posted by: Newbird

My post is mainly in relation to the question asked in the title header. 

So was mine. That's why I don't understand why you made the comment to me that way, sev.puri. I think, MY comment was clear.

When I have an interest in watching a certain movie (and the time to do so), why should that depend on what kind of person the artist perhaps may be.

There are enough artists I do not watch because either I'm not interested in the movie or I just am not interested in the way he or she plays in general.

As for the persons you mention in your initial post:

Michael Jackson: I like some of his songs and will still listen to them

Alok Nath: He was in some movies I watched...an actor among others

Sajid Khan:I've just watched one of his movies as director and his 2 cameos in SRK movies...that's my interest about him

Vivek A/Anupam K/Akshay K: I would watch each of them if I've an interest in the movie even though they like people I dislike

Sonam/Swara: I wouldn't watch a movie only for Sonam (because of her "art") / the same for Swara...if they are in a movie that has my interest then I would watch the movie nevertheless

BigB/Rishi Kapoor: I watched Rishi (and wasn't interested at all in his private life) / I will still watch Amitji although I'm not fond of the man

sev.puri thumbnail
Originally posted by: Clochette

So was mine. That's why I don't understand why you made the comment to me that way, sev.puri. I think, MY comment was clear.

When I have an interest in watching a certain movie (and the time to do so), why should that depend on what kind of person the artist perhaps may be.

There are enough artists I do not watch because either I'm not interested in the movie or I just am not interested in the way he or she plays in general.

As for the persons you mention in your initial post:

Michael Jackson: I like some of his songs and will still listen to them

Alok Nath: He was in some movies I watched...an actor among others

Sajid Khan:I've just watched one of his movies as director and his 2 cameos in SRK movies...that's my interest about him

Vivek A/Anupam K/Akshay K: I would watch each of them if I've an interest in the movie even though they like people I dislike

Sonam/Swara: I wouldn't watch a movie only for Sonam (because of her "art") / the same for Swara...if they are in a movie that has my interest then I would watch the movie nevertheless

BigB/Rishi Kapoor: I watched Rishi (and wasn't interested at all in his private life) / I will still watch Amitji although I'm not fond of the man

Ah you took my comment personally, whereas I just have fun playing devil’s advocate. My thought process I guess is just to decide where (if it all) people draw the line. I.e. left wing tak theek hai but biwi ko maarta ho toh uski movie nahi dekhunga. And if a line should ever even be drawn because should their personal life take away from a good act? (Even if it’s one that the individual in question stands to benefit from)

sev.puri thumbnail
Originally posted by: semantic.error

If I find someone despicable, I make an effort to actively avoid the artist. I don't oppose to anyone else consuming their art though. 

Interesting take. Live and let live approach. Cancel culture almost doesn’t let us do that these days I guess. Who’s someone you actively avoid?