Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 2 years ago

I found Vir Das' monologue poignant and heartfelt. I thought it reflected the sentiment of someone who loves India but is disappointed in the path she's going down. Like some others, I do wish he had delivered it before an Indian audience. Nothing wrong with speaking to the diaspora, but I'd say Indian residents are more relevant to his monologue than those abroad. 

Agni_Jytsona thumbnail
Love Couple India Season 2 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 9

Thriller Tribe

Originally posted by: IWILLDIESINGLE

Tbh he has insulted America too. And I will not call Vir Das liberandu tbh, because he isn't one. Liberandu are those IMO who just insult the right wing and Hindus, Vir Das makes jokes on everyone.

He isn't factually wrong but the thing is simple, him saying those things is not going to give any new information to anyone. It just makes him look good in the eyes of a certain section of people. It isn't like India was seen as a perfect country to everyone in the world, and suddenly he is showing the reality😆. We were a third world country in the eyes of western people before and we still are a third world country in the eyes of western people. 

Whether India is under Modi or Congress or any other political party.

Women will keep getting raped, people will get killed in the name of caste and religion, people will die of hunger and poverty, hospitals will keep looting patients, schools will be underdeveloped, LGBTQ+ will always be frowned upon and so on. Because root problem is always the divisive mindset of the people in this country or any other country. Everyone knows the reality but are ignoring for the piece of their own mind.

I think comedians should be allowed to make satire or sarcastic stuff about the country's or society's problems. Like eventually if someone has political motives or agenda, they will be seen as one anyways. I just don't like censorship of comedy whether it is left wing or right wing.

And they should completely abolish the so called punch up or punch down. Insult everyone imo. That is the problem I have with so called comedians.

the most sensible arguement on this thread 

Alpenliebe thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6

Now a days all these wokes are affected with Kangana syndrome. Give controversial statements and get attention. Just for few claps these jokers never cease to stoop to the lowest level. On hand Kangana boasts sanhgis to get few adulation from them and on other side chindis like Veer Das or whoever he is goes against India to get some claps from goras like bheek. Bhaad mein jaye country. Who cares. We need recognition, positive ho negative ho. Work front pe to kuch ho nahi raha,give controversial statements and trend for few days.

liberiangirl thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: blue-ice.1

yup the one who disrespects the freedom struggle....is given Padamsri...but give jail to people who tell the truth...some people have their heads deep in the sand...ki nahi dekhenge toh nahi hoga....sad state....what the beautiful India has turned into...

She gets awarded for deflecting from the real issues on ground.

That said, I'm really really worried for Vir Das.  I worry as to what's gonna happen to him when he lands in India.  It is so damn scary what's happening in India nowadays.  You can't say a damn thing without the fear of being arrested.  WTF man!

loginidran thumbnail
Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: HearMeRoar

I am American too.

Point I was making is expressing leftist views on social media makes you acceptable.

Lemme try saying something contrary. Like say:

With all its faults, America is still the best country on the planet. India is country of one billion people, so the crimes of a few cannot be used to slander the entire population. Religions need to dragged into the new millennium, sensitivities of minorities notwithstanding. Transgender women should have equal rights, but those who retain male plumbing should not be allowed in female shelters.

You'll see how people are pounced on quickly. 

Whereas wokish opinions will win Vir das kudos in places where it counts. Twitter trolls are actually doing him a favor by giving it publicity. 😆

Vir das isn't saying anything about India those who watch/read the news haven't already recognized. He *is* generalizing, but comedians do that, so it's not really an issue. Problem is he is acting like he is telling truth to power and/or encouraging people to think while he's doing nothing of the sort. He's taking about this in Kennedy Center and preaching to the choir. He's using people's harsh realities to further his career. and pretending to be above it all.

People recognize it on some level and are reacting to it. Unfortunately, like I said before, their reactions will actually help him, and he surely knew it. A cynical and self-serving move all around.

EDITED TO ADD: And I see that some people are actually defending India against Vir Das's claims. Instead of calling him out on his cynicism and self-centeredness, they're actually downplaying the problems he talked about and on some cases, denying they exist! Or claiming he shouldn't have *insulted* India by talking about it. These trolls are actually doing his PR work for him.

There is nothing to call him out though because he didn’t do anything unusual. It’s not like before his talk everything was roses and peaches about India in the eyes of the west. He didn’t say anything new or give out national secrets or anything. It’s not the first a stand up comedian used satire to point out gaps in the society.

What needs to be called out is the collective meltdown of the people who are in denial. And all the uproar about what he shouldn’t and should be saying. How about there show half as much outrage for the things that actually matter?  

But in a way it’s good though. This collective meltdown is somewhat drowning the noise created by the useless debate on who got us the Independence!

sharmajikaladka thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

One of his best ... Hats off to Vir Das to showing the real picture of India.

HearMeRoar thumbnail

Originally posted by: catchmeifucan

There is nothing to call him out though because he didn’t do anything unusual. It’s not like before his talk everything was roses and peaches about India in the eyes of the west. He didn’t say anything new or give out national secrets or anything. It’s not the first a stand up comedian used satire to point out gaps in the society.

What needs to be called out is the collective meltdown of the people who are in denial. And all the uproar about what he shouldn’t and should be saying. How about there show half as much outrage for the things that actually matter?  

But in a way it’s good though. This collective meltdown is somewhat drowning the noise created by the useless debate on who got us the Independence!

I've watched several of his videos where he attacks concepts rather than a group of people and found them really thoughtful. But picking on a national group before outsiders for the sake of his career is a bit low. How is it different from Slumdog's poverty p*rn? Yeah, it exists, but was it okay to use it in such a self-serving way?

If you notice, I mentioned the social media trolls who're actually denying these problems exist. They're basically proving Vir Das's point (he mentions possible reaction to the segment) AND giving him publicity. 

He's in good company, though. Watch the Oscars. Hypocrites, the whole lot. Acting so woke for acceptance and opportunities but will be on the phone with their agents in a nanosecond if China offered cash to make a film using Uyghur slave labor.

Not that the non-celeb types are much diff. They will say anything for kudos from the wokeratti on social media, but try suggesting they abandon some of the advantages of living in a free society if they so loathe it. Or giving up some of their own comfort (read: pay more taxes) to bring about the changes they demand instead of demanding other people (read: the middle class) do it. 😆

Edited by HearMeRoar - 2 years ago
Ur-Miserable thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: Alpenliebe

Now a days all these wokes are affected with Kangana syndrome. Give controversial statements and get attention. Just for few claps these jokers never cease to stoop to the lowest level. On hand Kangana boasts sanhgis to get few adulation from them and on other side chindis like Veer Das or whoever he is goes against India to get some claps from goras like bheek. Bhaad mein jaye country. Who cares. We need recognition, positive ho negative ho. Work front pe to kuch ho nahi raha,give controversial statements and trend for few days.

Tbh it is Kangana who learned from them, and hogged all the limelight😆. Hence they are desperate to get back into the limelight.

Vir Das tbh has never been a lime light hogging one, I don't think his intentions were wrong, but it doesn't matter now anyways. If his intentions were wrong he would have never given any clarification.

But don't you think it is quite silly how these things are going right now? Like why anyone opposing Vir Das is seen generally as a right wing person? I mean why every Indian who doesn't like people criticising Indian society in front of the world is seen as right wing😆. Okay imagine if Vir Das's speech would have left out Modi and PM Cares, and also added problems like forced conversions by Christains missionary of tribes, treatment of Muslim women, comedians being harassed for making jokes on topics other than right wing cries for and so on. Would he have gotten the same level of praise?

I just wonder, and thank it is him talking about Modi and PM Cares which is the actually triggering the right wing and also left wing supporting him. If we flip that, it would be completely different scenarios.

And no I am not denying that some people are genuinely upset with his statement regardless of them supporting BJP or not. Because not everyone likes these type of things and take things generally. So they will be upset.

Anyways who cares, Vir Das has finally gotten a well deserved attention😆 and publicity. IMO he is a good comedian and deserves more views and publicity than pathetic politically motived, Kunal "oh don't punch down on marginalized, only insult Uppercaste Hindus" Kamras and his ilk.