Karna Vadha : The final battle between Karna & Arjuna - as it happened

.Lonewalker. thumbnail
Posted: 3 years ago

Okay....So I was reading the Karna Parva in Bibek Debroy's translation of BORI CE Mahabharat &....what can I say.... it was an interesting read.smiley9 I thought to share it here so that other people (especially those who haven't read the Mahabharat & refer to tv adaptations of Mahabharat for referencesmiley36) can read up & can clear some of the popular misconceptions / confusions.smiley4So...let's start? It's gonna be lengthy, as the battle went on for quite a long time with both the parties having their share of victorious or vanquished moments. Still, to make it shorter, I am trying to summarize the whole event as shortly as possible. Read on if you are interested.smiley9

After reading the whole battle, I felt we can divide the final battle between Karna & Arjun in 4 rounds.

1st Round ( The beginning)

So the battle begins with blare of conch shells and the beating of drums became loud and Karna and Arjuna rushed towards each other.It was like mountain clashing against another mountain, so humongous was the twang of bowstrings & rattles of chariot wheels.Both of them showered down arrows, arrows that pierced their bodies and also of their charioteers and horses.Blood began to flow like water.Their arrows were like the vajra of the great Indra. Everyone, including those in the sky, trembled and was astounded at the clash between Karna and Arjuna.With ten great arrows, Karna struck Arjuna first. Extremely angry, Arjuna pierced him back in the flanks with ten sharp and fierce arrows. Karna and Arjuna struck and wounded each other with extremely sharp arrows.Seeing this that Karna was able to counter Arjuna’s arrows Bheemsena said--

"O Kiriti! How was it that the son of a suta was able to pierce you first with ten great arrows? Do you remember the fortitude with which you defeated all beings and satisfied Agni in Khandava? Use that fortitude and kill the son of a suta. Otherwise, let me bring him down with a club."

Even Vasudeva was worried & said ---

"O Kiriti! How is it that in every way, your weapons today are being countered by Karna’s weapons? O brave one! Why do you look like someone who is confused? The Kurus are cheerfully roaring. All of them are honouring Karna, knowing that all your weapons have been destroyed by his. In yuga after yuga, you have used fortitude to destroy the weapons of darkness and terrible rakshasas. You slew Dambhodbhava and other asuras in encounters.Use that fortitude and slay the son of a suta. Or use this sudarshana chakra now and slice off his head. It is sharp at the edges and even the immortals cannot withstand it. It has been used by me earlier, like Shakra using the vajra to strike Namuchi. The illustrious one, in the form of a hunter, was pleased by your greatness and fortitude. Resort to that fortitude again and slay the son of a suta, together with his relatives."

Arjuna replied "I will release a great and fierce weapon for the welfare of the worlds and for the death of the son of a suta. Let me have your permission, that of the gods, Brahma, Bhava and all the ones who are knowledgeable about the brahman."

Saying this Arjuna invoked Brahmastra. All the directions and sub-directions were covered by extremely energetic arrows. Many hundreds of swift arrows were released from it. At this, Karna also created many thousands of arrows. These descended on Pandava , like showers of rain released from a cloud.He performed brilliantly and pierced Bhimasena, Krishna and Arjuna with three arrows each. Arjuna saw that Bhima and Krishna had also been struck by Karna’s arrows. He became intolerant and shot eighteen arrows again. He pierced Sushena with one arrow, Shalya with four and Karna with three. He again pierced Karna with three, eight, two and fourteen arrows.Then Karna shot kshudraka arrows & pierced Vasudeva with sixty sharp arrows. At this Arjuna became extremely angry & swiftly countered Karna's arrows. Arjuna pierced Shalya’s body armour with ten arrows and laughed. He pierced Karna with twelve well-aimed arrows and pierced him again with another seven. He was firmly struck by Partha’s forceful arrows. At this time Karna was totally wounded.

Round 2 (The Ashwasena / Naagastra debacle)

After getting extremely wounded, Karna shot three very special arrows but Arjuna cut each of the three into three parts with his arrows. Also, Arjuna shot flaming arrows which pierced Karna’s inner organs and made them waver. Arjuna totally covered Karna with his arrows along with some Kuru warriors who came to protect him. Then Arjuna quickly shot a divine arrow at Karna. Karna countered it with an extremely powerful weapon given to him by Parashurama.Now Karna took the extremely energetic arrow which he used to worship and aimed the arrow at Arjuna's head wishing for Partha's destruction. But Shalya said --

"O Karna! This arrow will not be able to reach his neck. Fix and aim another arrow that can sever his head."

And at this Karna angrily replied --

"O Shalya! Karna will not affix a second arrow. Someone like me does not engage in deceit." 

And saying this, he shot the arrow. On seeing that Karna had affixed the serpent, Madhav, used his strength to press down on the chariot with his feet. That arrow struck at Arjuna’s diadem. The diadem was so strong that even Lord Shiva couldn’t break it, not by Pinaka or even Vajra. But with help of that arrow it was broken. The serpent Ashwasena then came back to Karna & requested him to shot him again & this time to aim Arjuna properly. But Karna refused saying he does not need anyone's help to bring down Arjuna. Then Ashwasena himself attacked on Arjuna and Krishna explained to Arjuna who this serpent was and why he is trying to kill Arjuna and advised him to slay it. Arjuna with six sharp arrows killed him. (End of the special Naagastra smiley36)

My Two cents : So yes, seeing Ashwasena on Karna's arrow, Krishna reacted reflexively & brought down the chariot to save Arjun. But isn't that a Charioteer's job in the first place? To manage the chariot & keep its rider safe? It's not like Arjuna cried & asked for Krishna's help. Krishna did it as he saw it as his job as the Charioteer. When Ashwasena attacked the 2nd time, Arjuna did successfully put an end to him though.)

Seeing an opportunity, Karna shot 10 arrows at Arjuna. In reply Arjuna shot 12 arrows at Karna.Those arrows were very sharp. Shattering Karna’s armour and drinking his blood they penetrated in the ground. Then angry Karna shot 12 arrows at Krishna and 99 arrows at Arjuna and he roared in glory. This angered Arjuna & Arjuna also shot 99 arrows at Karna. Karna’s crown and earrings shattered and he was badly injured. Then he angrily shot 4 arrows. Distressed and struck by his enemy, Karna was like a diseased person, suffering from bile, phlegm, wind and wounds. Arjuna again shot him supreme arrows which penetrated Karna’s inner organs. Karna was struck by many of Arjuna’s sharp arrows. He was severely wounded by those arrows that were fierce and forceful. Arjuna struck Karna’s horses and chariot with Vatsadanta arrows. With so much arrows Karna looked like a tree. Karna somehow shot some arrows at Arjuna but they all were cut by that of Arjuna. Karna became distressed and confused.

Round 3 (The Battle Continues)

Unable to tolerate his situation anymore, Karna lamented--

"Those who know about dharma have always held that that dharma protects those who place dharma at the forefront. But instead of protecting one who is devoted, it is now bringing me down. I think that dharma does not always protect"

(My own 2 cents So Karna is basically blaming Dharma for not protecting him as he thinks he was a devotee of Dharma smiley3. LOL seriously?smiley36)

While he was busy cursing Dharma for his misfortune, Arjuna continued attacking him & pierced him again along with his chariot and horses. Karna was unable to act. Then Karna shot 7 arrows at Arjuna. In reply, Arjuna struck him with 17 sharp arrows. They were as terrible as Indra’s vajra and like fire to the touch. They pierced him with great force and then fell down on the surface of the earth. Karna trembled, however exhibiting great capacity, he invoked Brahmastra.

(LOL so much for the rumour that Karna could not invoke Bramhastra because of Parashurama's cursesmiley22)

Arjuna countered it with Aindastra & the Brahmastra was neutralised. Then Arjuna invoked Brahmastra and released it. With those radiant arrows, Arjuna shrouded Karna.Then Karna’s extremely energetic arrow cut one string of Gandiva, but Arjuna fixed it very fastly & enveloped Karna with thousands of fiery arrows. In that battle, when Karna severed his bowstring, Arjuna fixed another one so quickly that no one could make this out. Karna successfully countered Arjuna's weapons this time & Krishna advised Arjuna to use his best weapons. Then Arjuna invoked the dangerous Raudrastra, and was about to shoot but suddenly Karna’s wheel sank into the mud.

Round 4 (The Final Moments / The Vadha)

Seeing his chariot wheel sunk in mud, Karna asked Arjuna to wait a while so that he can remove his chariot wheel from mud and it is adharma to strike someone who is on the ground. 

(LOL Seriously? smiley22 This rule was already broken in the war many times & Karna himself was part of such breaking when Abhimanyu was attacked on groundsmiley39)

At this, Vasudeva said --

"O Radheya! It is fortunate that you remember dharma. Quite often, when they are immersed in hardships, inferior ones censure destiny, but not their evil deeds.O Karna! When you, Suyodhana, Duhshasana and Shakuni Soubala brought Droupadi to the assembly hall in a single garment, did dharma not show itself to you? When, in the assembly hall, Yudhishthira, who was not skilled at dice, was defeated by Shakuni, who was skilled at dice, where did dharma go then? O Karna!During her season, Krishna was under Duhshasana’s subjugation in the assembly hall and you laughed at her. Where did dharma go then? O Karna! Resorting to the king of Gandhara and coveting the kingdom, you challenged the Pandavas. Where did dharma go then?"

(Such a befitting reply I tell you! smiley4)

Hearing this, Arjuna remembered all the misdeeds of Karna & was enraged. Karna, after seeing that his victim card is not working properly, shot Brahmastra against Arjuna. Arjuna countered it with his own weapons.

My Two Cents : Aha! smiley4 So he was shooting Brahmastras at Arjun! smiley4Which would mean he was NOT weaponless at all! smiley14 He had his weapon alright with him & was very much continuing the fight & also he did not forget how to invoke Brahmastra at all. It's just that Arjuna successfully countered it everytimesmiley14)

Arjuna then released Agneyastra and Karna countered it with Varunastra. He covered all the directions with clouds and it was as dark as a rainy day. Arjuna was not frightened.

While Karna looked on, Arjuna used the vayavya weapon and dispelled all the clouds.

( My observation : So Karna was looking on & seeing what Arjuna was doing.smiley36 How was he removing the chariot wheel from the mud then?smiley24 He was not doing that at all. He was continuing his fight with Arjuna, that's also in a fully armed with weapon state.smiley14)

At this point everyone realised Karna's end was near & a lamentation rose from the side of Kuru Army. Now to ensure Karna’s death, Arjuna took out the Anjalikastra, which had the energy of a Vajra & was as powerful a weapon as Pinaka or Sudarshan Chakra and shot it at Karna. That weapon, blazing like the sun, was shot. Like the sun, it lit up the earth with its radiance. The head of the commander of the army was severed, i.e, Karna’s body was severed and fell down.

End of the battle between Arjuna & Karna with the victory being Arjuna's.

__________________________________________________________________________________

To summarize the long post short,

• Karna fought with great valor & overpowered Arjuna in the first round of the battle. I give it to him. But he started fighting with all his might & strength right from the beginning & Arjun just kept on defending himself. Which led to...Karna getting tired sooner & Arjuna getting a clear picture of his gameplan. The question here is not who was the better warrior, the question here is who had a better war strategy and it is Arjuna. That's why even though Karna started well, he couldn't keep up the momentum & Arjun slowly took it over.
  • Karna asked Arjuna to stop fighting while he extricate his chariot wheel from mud. Seriously?smiley3 It's a freaking war for God's sake! smiley3You can't just demand that the opponent should give you a break because you asked for it! Chariot stuck in mud? Hop into someone else's chariot! Karna did it quite a few times previously, why not today? Or fight from the ground... like Arjuna did while avenging Abhi's death & fought several Kaurava warriors when Krishna was tending to the horses? Karna had to fight just 1 warrior.smiley23
  • Karna was NOT weaponless at the time of death. If he could not counteract the Anjalikastra, it's only because either he was too injured / tired to lift his bow & shoot or he could not think of an counterattack. Fair enough in both cases, no?smiley24
  • Also, it seems that Karna forgetting to invoke Brahmastra due to Parashuram's curse & this in turn, providing an advantage to Arjuna seems to be a myth. Karna kept hurling Brahmastras at Arjun till the end & Arjun successfully countered them with his own weapons.   

Does it still make Karna's death unfair? 😆

Edited by .Lonewalker. - 3 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

.Lonewalker. thumbnail

And now compare this with what they showed in Star's Mahabharat 😆 I can only imagine what they must have shown in Sony's Surya Putra Karna 🤣

Silpa20 thumbnail
IPL 2023 Match Winner Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 9

Thanks for sharing this here.i have not read any Mahabharat.

.Lonewalker. thumbnail

Originally posted by: Lazybird_Silpa

Thanks for sharing this here.i have not read any Mahabharat.

You are welcome😊

Wistfulness thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

After all his weapons were countered, Karna was exhausted and broken on a psycological level. He was vainly trying to delay the inevitable.

This serial took inspiration from Amitabh Bachchan's death in the DEEWAR movie and did a pathetic job. 😆

Karna's death scene in Starbharat was epic cringefest with his two mothers cat fighting near a dying man and the Pandavas adding to the cringe. Even the acting was insanely horrible. Arjuna putting the funeral pyre to fire was another fictional shit. Technically the rights would go to Yudhisthira. But then this serial's distortions lacked the tiniest bit of logic and the CVs were only doing fan service. 😆

Karna died instantly and it was only after the war that his wives wailed near his corpse that was being feasted upon by beasts and vultures. 

P.S. What did SPK show? 🤣

Edited by Wistfulness - 3 years ago
.Lonewalker. thumbnail

Originally posted by: Wistfulness

After all his weapons were countered, Karna was exhausted and broken on a psycological level. He was vainly trying to delay the inevitable.

This serial took inspiration from Amitabh Bachchan's death in the DEEWAR movie and did a pathetic job. 😆

Karna's death scene in Starbharat was epic cringefest with his two mothers cat fighting near a dying man and the Pandavas adding to the cringe. Even the acting was insanely horrible. Arjuna putting the funeral pyre to fire was another fictional shit. Technically the rights would go to Yudhisthira. But then this serial's distortions lacked the tiniest bit of logic and the CVs were only doing fan service. 😆

Karna died instantly and it was only after the war that his wives wailed near his corpse that was being feasted upon by beasts and vultures. 

P.S. What did SPK show? 🤣

Not just on psychological level, he was totally wounded physically too. He was suffering from bile, phlegm, wind & wound and....he started cursing Dharma for it 😆 Such a whining crybaby I tell you😆 He knew his defeat is inevitable on day 16 itself when he was badly thrashed by Arjuna but got saved because of sunset. On day 17 there was no chance to flee...so he was trying to pass time with that chariot wheel excuse which Krishna totally saw through😆 Kuru Army even started lamenting even before Arjuna shot the Anjalikastra....they understood the capability of their commander too 😆😆

@SP's MB  the less said is better😆 the biggest cringe was not the fighting women imo. The biggest cringe was Karna reminding Arjun that he is shreshth & Arjun wholeheartedly agreeing to it. And then him saying Arjun is "uttam".... I was like.... Dude...aab toh jane de is obsession ko 🤣🤣

I don't know what they showed in SPK. But it's from the same production house so you can imagine😆 If they glorified Karna so much in a show named Mahabharat, what they must have done in the show where Karna is the titular character. I heard from someone that they showed Karna saved Draupadi from getting r**ed in her swayamvar & vehemently opposed the idea of disrobing her in dice hall. In fact he reached dice hall with the agenda of stopping the gamble🤣🤣 So imagine what his death sequence must be. Maybe there Arjun could not aim even at a weaponless Karn & kept misfiring? Maybe Karn himself took out the arrow from Arjun's quiver & shot himself? 😆 Quite possible😆

Wistfulness thumbnail

Originally posted by: .Lonewalker.

Not just on psychological level, he was totally wounded physically too. He was suffering from bile, phlegm, wind & wound and....he started cursing Dharma for it 😆 Such a whining crybaby I tell you😆 He knew his defeat is inevitable on day 16 itself when he was badly thrashed by Arjuna but got saved because of sunset. On day 17 there was no chance to flee...so he was trying to pass time with that chariot wheel excuse which Krishna totally saw through😆 Kuru Army even started lamenting even before Arjuna shot the Anjalikastra....they understood the capability of their commander too 😆😆

@SP's MB  the less said is better😆 the biggest cringe was not the fighting women imo. The biggest cringe was Karna reminding Arjun that he is shreshth & Arjun wholeheartedly agreeing to it. And then him saying Arjun is "uttam".... I was like.... Dude...aab toh jane de is obsession ko 🤣🤣

I don't know what they showed in SPK. But it's from the same production house so you can imagine😆 If they glorified Karna so much in a show named Mahabharat, what they must have done in the show where Karna is the titular character. I heard from someone that they showed Karna saved Draupadi from getting r**ed in her swayamvar & vehemently opposed the idea of disrobing her in dice hall. In fact he reached dice hall with the agenda of stopping the gamble🤣🤣 So imagine what his death sequence must be. Maybe there Arjun could not aim even at a weaponless Karn & kept misfiring? Maybe Karn himself took out the arrow from Arjun's quiver & shot himself? 😆 Quite possible😆

Indeed. He was fatally wounded and knew the end is near.

@Bold - Oh I remembered it now. 😆

I read SPK written updates of two episodes. 🤣

The moment Karna fell down after getting hit by Arjuna's arrows, the four Pandavas came rushing in filmy style and revealed the truth to a stunned Arjuna. Then the four brothers apologized to Karna. It was insane! 🤣

Krishna told Arjuna that they are freeing a great soul from pain. 😆

After some more melodrama, even Parashurama appeared on the battlefield with Surya Dev. In SPK Parashurama's sole purpose was to be Karna's preceptor. Finally, Krishna told Karna it's time to depart and everyone watched his soul's departure. Then, a shower cleansed Karna's body. 

^ Man! They literally copied Bheeshma's demise. 

Broken Duryodhana performed Karna's last rites with the Pandavas because someone told him that the deceased person's soul wouldn't be at peace if all brothers don't do it together. At last Duryodhana exclaimed that the war will continue for Karna's pride. 😆

.Lonewalker. thumbnail

Originally posted by: Wistfulness

Indeed. He was fatally wounded and knew the end is near.

@Bold - Oh I remembered it now. 😆

I read SPK written updates of two episodes. 🤣

The moment Karna fell down after getting hit by Arjuna's arrows, the four Pandavas came rushing in filmy style and revealed the truth to a stunned Arjuna. Then the four brothers apologized to Karna. It was insane! 🤣

Krishna told Arjuna that they are freeing a great soul from pain. 😆

After some more melodrama, even Parashurama appeared on the battlefield with Surya Dev. In SPK Parashurama's sole purpose was to be Karna's preceptor. Finally, Krishna told Karna it's time to depart and everyone watched his soul's departure. Then, a shower cleansed Karna's body. 

^ Man! They literally copied Bheeshma's demise. 

Broken Duryodhana performed Karna's last rites with the Pandavas because someone told him that the deceased person's soul wouldn't be at peace if all brothers don't do it together. At last Duryodhana exclaimed that the war will continue for Karna's pride. 😆

Oh My God 🤣🤣🤣smiley37smiley37smiley37smiley37smiley37smiley37smiley37smiley37smiley37smiley37smiley37smiley37smiley37smiley37

@Bold - The other 4 already knew? 😆

@Red - 🤪🤪🤪

@Blue - WTH 🤣🤣 Like seriously? I wish to ask their writer what was he / she smoking while writing this nonsense? 🤓

@Pinky Pink - Errmm.... Ok 😆

.Lonewalker. thumbnail

Can not blame only these non sense tv series though. Modern literature & addition of local tales have done enough damage too. The idea that Karn was killed unfairly by Krishna because Arjuna was not capable have been planted so deeply in people's mind that it's almost impossible to show them sense, courtesy these later literature pieces. Tv serials are taking this to a different level altogether.

Just few days back I was having a healthy discussion with one of my friends on Mahabharata & it was going all smoothly till the topic of Karn was broached. When it came to Karn, he started arguing so vehemently .... I was like....shaant ho ja Bhai. Karn tera kya lagta hai? 😳 😆 He was so adamant that --

1) Karn has defeated Arjuna numerous times but always spared his life 

2) Karn was the undisputed no.1 archer & Arjuna was jealous of him

3) Krishna forced Arjuna to kill Karn  weaponless while he was extricating his chariot wheel from mud because Krishna knew Arjuna could never defeat Karn

I was like hain?  From where do you get all these nonsense? I can counter all these baseless points with citations from authentic version of Mahabharat & he was like....his father has read numerous versions of Mahabharat since childhood & he has learnt all these from his father...so he doesn't need to know the actual story from me as his father surely knows more than me. Whatever I am reading must be the wrong version or I have fallen in traps of Arjuna bhakts who always try to malign Karn's image to prove their hero superior while he was not  He was not ready to even listen about BORI CE edition or KMG....he was like ...whatever he has learnt from childhood can not be wrong... I am reading rubbish books.

I was shocked to say the least. People just can't accept the truth anymore because the lie have been repeated & recreated over & over through time....people who have read "various versions" of Mahabharat consider themselves to be more knowledgeable & do not even try to understand how much distortions have gone into those "various versions". These are all thanks to the later authors & their modern (read twisted) representations. With Television serials, the job is being done more conveniently now.🥱 Original Mahabharat is all lost thanks to these. It's all Karnabharat now.🤪

Wistfulness thumbnail

^ That various versions argument is a huge BS. 🤪

It takes just one click to find out which version is authentic.