Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

DMGThings thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 1 years ago

Originally posted by: coderlady

Those cheesy lines and sweet confessions over the phone. These two are madly in love.

They're very cute, yes! ❤️

TaniDMGlover thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Am going on a reading spree with this and I can’t tell you how happy I am seeing these updates! Will be reading l of them slowly (so they don’t get over fast ;)) and will give a detailed comment soon but for now just a hug tight hug to you for doing this and from whatever I have read till now I know I am really gonnaaa enjoy this<3

DMGThings thumbnail

Originally posted by: TaniDMGlover

Am going on a reading spree with this and I can’t tell you how happy I am seeing these updates! Will be reading l of them slowly (so they don’t get over fast ;)) and will give a detailed comment soon but for now just a hug tight hug to you for doing this and from whatever I have read till now I know I am really gonnaaa enjoy this<3

ahhh! i'm so excited for your comments! you always bring such a huge smile to my face. thank you so much for loving this story the way you do! <3

DMGThings thumbnail

Chapter One Hundred & Eighteen

"Ridzy!" Anjali called, shaking her out of her sleep. "Ridzy! Get up!!"

Anjali bent down and pressed a kiss to Riddhima's cheek, the way Riddhima had been doing to her for years now. Riddhima didn't even stir, still deep in slumber, a huge smile on her lips. Was this how she felt every morning when trying to wake Anjali up? So annoyed and frustrated? If she did, Anjali didn't understand how she did it everyday. And that too for so many years, not once complaining. 

Anjali couldn't remember the last time she had woken up before Riddhima had, if ever. She was always the one who loved to sleep in while Riddhima was the early riser, wanting to get a jog in before starting her day. Anjali didn't exercise the way Riddhima did, and so she made up by being conscious of her diet. But, that wasn't the crux of the matter right now. Right now, what was important was getting Riddhima to wake up. 

It was the first official day of ceremonies for the wedding. Her official mehendi ceremony would begin in a few hours, and here this girl was, still sleeping without a care in the world. Really, did she have to choose today to sleep so late? 

"Anjali?" Abhi called out softly. "Can I come in?"

Sighing, Anjali got up from the bed and opened the door for him. "Hey," she greeted.

"Hey," Abhi replied. "Good morning. I know tum shayad Riddhima ke saath busy ho aur maybe uske saath thoda time spend karna chaahti ho, but you need to be quick agar tumhe mehendi peesni hai toh. Atul aur Muskaan ne already ladaayi start kardi hai."

Anjali facepalmed, making Abhi chuckle. "Of course!"

"Well, you know them," Abhi muttered. "Sometimes I'm very surprised ki yeh dono sach mein doctor bann kaise gaye."

"Trust me, Abhi," Anjali assured. "You're not the only one."

Abhi laughed. His phone beeped, halting their conversation. He switched off the alarm he'd set before keeping his phone back in. To Anjali, he said, "As much as I would love to mock Atul & Muskaan, and trust me, I really would… Mujhe jaana hai. Nikki ki medicines ka time ho raha hai. Aur woh ladki dawai lene mein bohot naatak karti hai! It's going to take me a while to get her to take them… So, I'll leave you to it."

"All the best!" Anjali cheered. "Tell Nikki to get some rest. Abhi se idhar udhar karne ki zaroorat nahi hai. Jab mehendi ka time ho jaayega, we'll call her."

“Easier said than done,” Abhi mumbled. “She’s so uncomfortable lekin jab main rest karne bolta hoon toh sunti thodi hai. She has to attend every ceremony, chaahe important ho ya nahi!”

“Let her be,” Anjali scolded. “Woh kitni excited hai! I don’t think you even understand… her & Rahul… they’ve been waiting for this day for so long. Hum sabko toh Armaan aur Riddhima ke baare mein kuch bhanak bhi nahi thi jabse yeh dono inki shaadi ka wait kar rahe hain!”

“I know,” Abhi agreed. “She’s been looking forward to it so badly. Armaan aur Riddhima dono uske itne achche dost hain… they’re her best friends. Vani Maa mujhe bata rahi thi how her and Armaan have literally grown up together and how important they are to each other. I understand why she’s so excited. Lekin usse apni health ka bhi khayal rakhna chahiye na. It’s not like she’s in her first or even second trimester. Eighth month chal raha hai… iss time toh jitni ho sake utni rest karni chahiye but isse dekho!”

“Don’t worry too much,” Anjali advised. “Nikki knows her limits. I’m sure she won’t overdo it. Aur… hum sab yahaan doctors hain. Kuch gadbad thodi hone denge.”

“You’re right,” Abhi replied. “Lekin phir bhi, tension toh hoti haina.”

“Of course,” Anjali nodded. “Hoti hi hogi. Hum sabko hoti hai toh I can’t even imagine tumhe kitni zyada hoti hogi. But, I promise… hum mein se koi bhi usse khudki health ko neglect karne nahi dega!”

Abhi smiled at that. “Thanks!”

“Ab bohot baatein ho gayi, Dr. Modi! Tumhe apni biwi ko dawai dene jaana tha na?” Anjali questioned.

“Sh*t!” Abhi exclaimed, slapping his forehead. “Yes… main abhi jaa raha hoon! See you later!”

Saying so, Abhi rushed away without waiting for a reply, leaving a laughing Anjali behind. “Aise yeh bada smart bana firta hai,” she whispered to herself. “But at the end of the day, he’s no better than the other boys!”

Shaking her head, she went back inside, determined to wake Riddhima up. Surprisingly, Riddhima was already up. “Finally! Uth gayi tu?” Anjali asked.

“Aap aur Abhi itni dheere se baat kar rahe the,” Riddhima replied. “Of course uth gayi!”

Anjali laughed. She sat by Riddhima on the bed and hugged her, kissing her cheek. “You deserve it!” She exclaimed. “Kabse uthane ki koshish kar rahi hoon! I can’t believe aaj main tujhse pehle uth gayi… how is that even possible?”

Riddhima blushed at her teasing, not answering Anjali’s question. She’d been up talking to Armaan late at night. They’d only gone to sleep in the wee hours of morning when it was impossible to keep their eyes open anymore. She’d gotten maybe three hours of sleep judging by the time. 

“Ohhhhh!” Anjali oohed, Riddhima’s blush answering her question better than words ever could. “Kitne time tak chali tum dono ki baatein? Tu soyi bhi hai ya nahi?” She teased.

“Diiiiiii!” Riddhima whined. “Aisa kuch nahi hai!” She lied pathetically.

“Okay, Ridzy,” Anjali scoffed. “Whatever you say! Tune kaha aur maine maan liya!”

Riddhima did not respond to that, knowing her sister had seen through her. The more she tried to convince Anjali, the more confident Anjali would get that she was lying. It was better to let it be. She’d always been a bad liar, but especially where her family was concerned. 

“Ab Armaan se baat baad mein karna… please jaake jaldi se ready ho jaa aur breakfast ke liye aaja. Uske baad humein mehendi ke liye tujhe tayyaar karna hai!” Anjali instructed. 

“Okay, Di,” Riddhima replied. “Main aa jaati hoon.”

“Good girl!” Anjali exclaimed. “Ab mujhe bohot kaam hai toh main jaa rahi hoon, but tu please Armaan ke saath gappe maarne mat baith jaana. Get ready, okay?”

Saying so, Anjali got up but Riddhima held her hand, not letting her go. Anjali turned around, confused. “Kya hua?” She asked.

Riddhima patted the spot next to her and Anjali sat back down without a word. Riddhima wrapped her in a tight hug. “You’re the best,” she mumbled. 

“That I am,” Anjali agreed instantly.

“Di!” Riddhima complained. “Kya aap bhi… bilkul Armaan ki tarah hote jaa rahe ho! Stop hanging out with him so much.”

“Yeh tu keh rahi hai?” Anjali asked rhetorically. “Khud toh usse shaadi kar rahi hai lekin main apne best friend ke saath hang out bhi na karu! Tu aisi jealous type wali wife hai kya? Sorry, Ridzy! Main tere liye bhi apne bestie ke saath time spend karna nahi chodungi!” 

“Seriously… aap kuch zyada hi uski tarah baat kar rahe ho,” Riddhima insisted, more so after what she’d just said. “But… I just… thank you, Di. Aap aur Rahul mere liye itna sab kar rahe ho. Not just the two of you, baaki sab bhi… but jiss tarah aap dono ne sab manage kiya hai aur saari responsibility apne upar leli… I’m so lucky to have you! This is already the most perfect wedding I could have ever imagined, aur ab tak toh koi ceremonies shuru bhi nahi hui! Mujhe toh samajh hi nahi aata main kya kahoon… so just, thank you!”

“Stop it!” Anjali reprimanded. “Ab tu mujhe thank you bol rahi hai… Meri pyaari Ridzy… tu behen hai meri. Tere liye yeh sab nahi karungi toh kiske liye karungi? Aur baat toh aise kar rahi hai jaise… tu mere liye nahi karegi kya yeh sab?”

“Of course!” Riddhima perked up instantly. “Jab Atul finally propose karega… I don’t know… 10-12 saalon mein… I will do all of this and more!” She teased.

“Shut up, Ridzy!” Anjali brought out her trademark line at her teasing, even as she blushed. She had never thought she’d one day be the kind of girl who got shy at the mere mention of a boy, and a boy like Atul no less, but here she was. Her relationship was progressing so beautifully. Atul was the best partner a girl could ask for. He was kind and thoughtful, sweet and understanding, and just so easy to be around. Yes, he was a little too innocent when it came to relationships and more shy than any other person she’d met, even Riddhima, but she loved that. She loved that Atul was experiencing so many of his firsts with her. It was also refreshing for her, being the one with more experience. In the few relationships she’d had in the past, it had always been her partner who had led them. For someone as bossy as Anjali, that had gotten suffocating very fast, which is why her relationships never lasted. But, Atul… Atul was perfectly content to hand over the reins to her. He didn’t have any chauvinistic thoughts about how he had to be the one “in-charge” because he was the man in the relationship.

In so many ways, he was the perfect opposite of her. Maybe that was why they worked. At times, she cursed herself for being so judgemental and not giving Atul an honest chance in the past. They’d had a rocky start, but soon, Anjali had seen what a gem of a person Atul was, and had always considered him a good friend. She’d known that he would always stand by her side and support her when she needed him. She’d also always known that he’d had romantic feelings for her. Atul had never been the one to shy away from his affections, but she had never entertained those thoughts, content to be his friend. Yes, there were times when his pursuit, if it could be called that, of her had become annoying. Despite her repeated declarations that she didn’t think of him as anything other than a friend, he had continued to express his love. He hadn’t expected her to reciprocate, but it had made her feel guilty… seeing him try so hard.

It had been difficult for her to reconcile her conflicting emotions. Maybe that was what had confused her. It had taken her some time to realize that maybe her and Atul could have a future. Their last first date truly had just been her giving into Armaan’s whimsies, but it had been the turning point in their relationship. Without any mishaps on the date, they’d had a great time together and Anjali had found herself wanting to go on more such dates. She still remembered how shocked Atul had been when she’d asked him out on a second date. It had taken him a while to believe that she wasn’t joking. And then, he’d blushed a brilliant red before stammering out an affirmative response. After that, dates had become a regular occurrence for them, and before she knew it, Anjali was in a relationship — one that was loving and happy. 

Even though they’d only been dating for a few months now, she could confidently say that this was it for her. Atul was exactly the kind of person she wanted to spend the rest of her life with. Yes, it might take time, but she wasn’t in a hurry. She had her own goals that she needed to achieve before settling down in a marriage. She could wait, and she knew, so could he. 

“Di!” Riddhima snapped her fingers in front of Anjali, bringing her out of her thoughts. “Kahaan kho gayi aap?”

Anjali blinked, coming back to the present and shook her head, dazed. “Nothing,” she muttered.

“Ooohhh. Atul Jeeju ke baare mein soch rahi thi na?” Riddhima teased.

“Ridzy!” Anjali warned. “Yeh sab faltu baatein chod aur jaldi se ready ho!”

This time, Anjali really did leave the room, Riddhima’s laughter echoing behind her. When she got to the lobby where everyone had gathered to grind the henna for Riddhima’s mehendi ceremony, Atul & Muskaan were locked in a heated debate while her parents looked on, helpless. Rahul was nowhere in sight and Anjali momentarily cursed him for shirking, before she remembered that he would have gone to wake Armaan up. Then she smirked, because she knew for a fact that if it was so difficult to wake Riddhima, Armaan would be a hundred times worse. Well, served him right for leaving her with this mess.

“STOP!” She hollered loudly. Atul & Muskaan both yelped at the sudden shout and lost their footing, falling to the floor. “Kya ho raha hai yahaan?” She demanded, towering over the two of them.

“Ku — kuch nahi, Anjali,” Atul stammered. “Hum toh… hum toh ba — bas Ri — Ridz ki mehendi pees rahe the!”

“Oh?” Anjali wondered out loud. “Aise?” 

“Anjy, tu mujhe mat bol!” Muskaan defended herself. “Saari galti iss idiot Atul ki hai!”

“Aeeee!” Atul cried. “Meri koi galti nahi hai. Tu hi beech mein aa gayi thi!”

“Main? Main beech mein aayi? Champ… itna bhi jhooth mat bol, yaar! Thodi sharam kar le! Main yahaan pehle se thi. Tune aake saara beda gark kiya hai!” Muskaan argued.

“Maine kuch nahi kiya hai! Ek toh tujhse achche se ho nahi raha tha toh main teri help karne ki koshish ki lekin tu ulta mere upar hi bhadak rahi hai!” Atul whined. Turning to Anjali, he added, “Sach mein, Anjali! Iss Muskaan ko mehendi peesna hi nahi aata toh main usse sikhane ki koshish kar raha tha lekin yeh meri baat sunn hi nahi rahi!”

Anjali narrowed her eyes and turned to Muskaan. “Yeh bhi toh bata kaise help kar raha tha!” Muskaan cried. “Anjy… isne mera haath itni zor se pakad liya ki ab mujhe dard ho raha hai. Aise tight pakdega toh main kaise peesungi?”

“Atullllll,” Anjali reprimanded. “Tum dheere se bhi toh sikha sakte ho na!”

“Maine try kiya toh yeh mere upar hi bhadak gayi!” Atul defended himself. “Isliye mujhe kaske pakadna pada.”

Muskaan opened her mouth to argue with that but Anjali silenced her with one look. “Woh jo bhi ho. Stop it, both of you!” She ordered. “Agar yeh mehendi ka kaam tumse nahi ho raha toh jaake breakfast laga ya nahi yeh dekho… and make sure the guests are eating properly.”

Atul & Muskaan exchanged excited grins at that. “Dono nahi!” Anjali stopped them. “Ek saath jaoge toh wahaan khane ke liye ladne lagoge! Muski… tu jaake dekh. Aur please, bhukkadon ki tarah khane pe toot pade usse pehle baaki sab comfortable hai ya nahi yeh dekh lena.”

To Atul, she said, “Tum jao aur Rahul ko bhejo yahaan! Agar Armaan ab tak nahi jaaga toh usse tum jaga dena.”

Both Muskaan & Atul nodded dutifully before leaving. Anjali sighed. She loved them both but handling them was a huge task in itself. “Thank god tum aa gayi, Anjali!” Shashank exclaimed. “Inn dono ko handle karna humaare bas ki baat toh nahi thi!”

Anjali chuckled. It wasn’t everyday that you saw the almost invincible Shashank Gupta claim he wasn’t equipped to handle a situation. “Yeh dono hamesha aise hi ladte hain kya?” Padma asked.

Anjali nodded. “Haan, Mom. Humein toh ab aadat ho gayi hai. Waise toh yeh dono ek doosre ko best friend kehte hain, lekin ladte bhi yeh dono utna hi hai. Shayad isliye kyuki inka dimaag na… bilkul ek jaise chalta hai har cheez mein.”

Padma laughed at that. Her daughters’ friends were supposed to be adults but behaved like kids most of the time. It was cute more often than not. She was glad that they hadn’t become jaded after growing up and facing the world. She may not be privy to everything, but she knew enough to know that they all had faced a lot of struggles in the past few years, and yet, they remained optimistic and lively the way they were when they first started working at Sanjeevani. 

“Sorry! Sorry! Sorry!” Billy exclaimed, as he rushed in with Ananya in tow. “I know hum thoda late hain!”

Shashank and Padma looked at them, confused. They weren’t expecting the couple to be here for this. After all, it was the bride’s side who ground the mehendi for the bride. “Billy, Bhabhi… aap dono yahaan?” Shashank questioned.

“Haan, of course!” Billy answered. “Riddhi ki mehendi pees rahe ho na tum sab?”

At Anjali’s nod, Ananya said, “Toh hum bhi toh peesenge!”

“Aap… aap bhi?” Padma asked out loud, her eyes shining. 

“Haan! Arree… Riddhi sirf aap logon ki hi beti hai kya?” Billy challenged. “Humaari bhi toh beti hai woh. Hum… hum nahi pees sakte kya?”

“Arree! Kaisi baatein kar rahe hain aap, Bhaisaab?” Padma replied. “Of course, aap bhi pees sakte hain! Waise bhi… aap bilkul late nahi hain. Humne abhi shuru nahi kiya hai!”

Just as they sat down to start grinding, Rahul stopped by with his parents trailing after him. He plopped on the floor beside Anjali. “Ek din maine Armaan ko maar dena hai,” he announced. “Woh toh bas mujhe jail nahi jaana isliye maine ab tak kiya nahi but… jail would be better than handling him everyday, won’t it?”

Anjali laughed at his words. Vindication felt so good. However, not everyone agreed with her. “Chup kar!” Padma scolded him. “Kya bakwaas kar raha hai!”

“Uski shaadi hai aur tu yeh sab bol raha hai?” His mom, Simar, added. “Apne doston ke baare mein aisa nahi bolte!”

“Arre, bilkul theek hi keh raha hai yeh!” Ananya protested. “Tum usse uthaane gaye the na?” She asked Rahul who nodded.

“Yeh ladka kabhi nahi uthta,” she confessed. “Bachpan se hi. Uski school ka time 8 baje hota tha toh main usse 6 baje se uthana shuru karti thi… tab jaake woh school ke liye time pe ready hota tha! Hostel mein rehke bhi uski yeh aadat nahi sudhri.”

“Armaan toh kayi baar mujhe subah - subah jogging wagerah pe milta hai,” Shashank said, confused. “Main toh subah 5 baje jaata hoon kyuki baad mein waqt nahi milta.”

Rahul started laughing at that. When Shashank looked at him in question, he elaborated. “Woh sirf special aapke saath hota hai, Uncle. Armaan aapko impress karne ki koshish karta rehta haina, isliye.”

Shashank was dumbstruck at that, not knowing how to respond while the others cooed. “Awwww!” Anjali exclaimed. “Waise toh ekdum bandar hai, but he’s really cute sometimes. Aisi harkatein karta haina toh mujhe realize hota hai why Ridzy loves him so much.”

“Riddhu, aur actually… Shashank Uncle ko bhi… pataane uss ladke ne itne papad bele hain… kya batau main aap sabko. Agar maine shuru kiya toh raat ho jaayegi,” Rahul confessed.

Padma beamed at his words. While she didn’t like that Armaan had had to try so hard, she was still ecstatic that her daughter had found someone who was willing to put in so much effort for her and their relationship. Her daughter deserved all the happiness in the world and she’d found it in the form of this charming young man who she’d come to love like a son. 

“Okay, okay!” Rajiv interrupted their chatter. “Ab zara mehendi bhi pees lein? Ya bas yahaan baithke gossip karne ka mann hai sabka?”

“Nahi, nahi!” Billy exclaimed. “Pehle mehendi pees lete hain!”

They all got to work, grinding the mehendi with their hands on the various pestles. After almost half an hour of continuous effort, a haggard Anjali complained. “Mom! Hum isse mixer mein bhi toh pees sakte haina? Aise haath se kyu peese? That will be so quick and easy. Aise toh ab mere haath dukhne lag jaayenge!”

Padma laughed. “Beta, shaadi ki mehendi toh haath se hi peeste hain. Shagun hota hai. Jab hum apni Riddhima ko apne ghar se vidaa kar rahe hain toh usse khali haath thodi bhejenge? Apna aashirwaad deke bhejenge na? Yeh mehendi bhi toh ek tarah ka aashirwaad hi hai.”

“Aap log kitne senti ho,” Rahul commented. “Yeh sentimental hone ke chakkar mein sab impractical ho jaata hai!”

“Okay, Mr. Practical!” Rajiv rolled his eyes. “Teri shaadi pe hum mehendi mixer mein pees lenge, theek hai?”

Simar guffawed at that. “Riddhu pakadke peetegi aap sabko aisa socha bhi toh!”

Her words cause a ripple of laughter through the group. They spend another half an hour grinding henna, the task easier with so many helping hands. At one point, tired of the continuous movement, Anjali put on some music and her & Rahul danced to entertain everyone else who continued with the task at hand. When they were finally done, they made their way outside to get something to eat before the ceremony.

They walked in on Armaan forcefully trying to feed Nikki some poha while Riddhima and Abhi sat back and laughed, enjoying the free entertainment they were being provided with. “Come on, Nikki! Bas thoda sa aur!” Armaan was pleading with her, trying to shove a spoon in her mouth. Nikki was leaning away from him, her hands raised defensively. “NO WAY!” She was shouting.

“Hey, guys!” Rahul greeted, taking a seat next to Riddhima. “Yeh kya ho raha hai?”

“Armaan ne aaj decide kiya hai ki woh Nikki ko naashta karayega cause apparently Abhi se itna sa kaam bhi nahi hota,” Riddhima replied. Before Armaan, it had been Abhi who had been trying to coax Nikki to eat something, but to no avail as she stubbornly refused to put even a morsel in her mouth. Armaan had taunted Abhi and made a comment about how he could have made Nikki eat. Irritated, Abhi had challenged Armaan to do just that, and of course, Armaan had instantly agreed. That had been more than half an hour ago, and Armaan had only been able to feed Nikki a couple of bites before she stopped eating.

“Armaan!” Nikki whined. “Maine kaha na… mujhe yeh bakwaas sa poha nahi khana! Mujhe ice cream khani hai!”

“Maine bhi tujhse kaha na… tu yeh poha finish karegi toh main tujhe ek nahi do - do ice cream khilaunga!” Armaan fired back.

“Tu mujhe bas ek hi khila de,” Nikki pleaded. “But yeh toh main nahi khaungi!”

“Nikki… aise kaise chalega? Tu har time junk food nahi kha sakti. Thodi healthy diet toh maintain karni padegi na!” Armaan tried to make her understand.

“But mujhe bilkul mann nahi kar raha!” Nikki complained. 

“Armaan, usse force mat karo ab!” Riddhima finally interrupted, fed up with their fight. 

“Thank you, Ridzy!” Nikki cried, relieved.

“Basket… tum mujhe kyu suna rahi ho?” Armaan whined. “Tum hi keh rahi thi na ki Nikki ka achche se dhyaan rakhna? Ab main rakh raha hoon toh bhi tumhe problem hai!”

“Uska mann nahi hai toh tum kuch aur bhi offer kar sakte ho na,” Riddhima explained patiently. “Dekho, yahaan aur bhi kitni cheezein hai. Nikki… tu yeh sab chod, ek kaam kar thoda sa doodh hi pi le.”

“Yuck!” Nikki made a face. “I hate doodh!”

“Tu hi aisa bol rahi hai toh jab tere bachche aayenge toh woh kya karenge?” Rahul wondered out loud. 

“Aee, Rahul!” Abhi warned. “Aise nazar mat laga. My kid will be a perfect angel.”

“Tumhaara bachcha? Aur angel? Oyye, Moody! Kabhi khudko dekha hai? Thoda toh soch ke bolo!” Armaan taunted.

“Everybody stop it!” Anjali ordered. “Kya jabse yeh sab petty fights chal rahi hain? Hum yahaan time pass karne nahi baithe hain. Time is running out. Sab log jaldi se breakfast karo and start getting ready for the mehendi.”

Everyone kept their mouth wisely shut after that, concentrating on their food. Riddhima turned to Nikki. “Tere liye chocolate milkshake banake lau?” She asked. “Woh toh tujhe achcha lagta haina?”

Nikki’s eyes brightened at that. “But,” Riddhima put forth her condition immediately, before Nikki could respond. “Agar chocolate milkshake piya toh ice cream nahi milegi.”

Nikki pouted but gave in. “Fine.”

Riddhima smiled and kissed Nikki’s forehead. She flagged down a staff member and requested a chocolate milkshake which was promptly served. 

“Yeh Atul aur Muskaan kahaan hai?” Rahul wondered as they all started eating.

“Yaar subah toh Champ tha mere saath but pata nahi kahaan chala gaya,” Armaan replied. “Aur Muskaan toh dekha hi nahi maine.”

“Muskaan ko toh maine bhagaya tha pehle,” Anjali confessed. “Woh aur Atul faltu mein itna lad rahe the toh unn dono ko doosra kaam diya tha. She was supposed to be here, looking after the guests but pata nahi kahaan chali gayi.”

Rahul pulled his phone out and dialled Muskaan, wanting to enquire where she was, when he was disrupted by the loud beating. He looked up to see Atul entering the area with a dhol around his neck, with Muskaan dancing to the beats beside him. Atul came to a stop a few feet away from their table and announced loudly. “Suno! Suno! Suno! Armaan aur Riddhima ki shaadi mein aapka sabka swagat hai!! Aap sab yahaan aaye, unki iss khushi mein shaamil hone, isliye aap sabko thank you bolne ab Armaan aur Riddhima ek special performance denge!”

Armaan & Riddhima looked at each other, thunderstruck, while all of their friends hooted and cheered at their predicament. Abhi and Rahul pushed them in Atul’s direction, clapping loudly.

“Abbe, Champ!” Armaan whisper shouted. “Yeh kya bol raha hai? Kya performance?”

“Oyye, Hero! Isme itna kya sochna hai?” Muskaan replied. “Kuch bhi thoda sa dance kardo aise hi!”

“Aise hi thodi dance hota hai!” Riddhima exclaimed. “Tumne humein kuch time hi nahi diya. Pata hota toh hum prepare karke aate na!”

“Lo!” Muskaan cried. “Isme kya warning? Yaar, sirf ek dance karne bola hai koi complicated surgery nahi jo tujhe 3 din chahiye prepare karne!”

“Muskiiiii!” Riddhima complained.

“Yaar, tum log kitna footage khaate ho!” Atul whined. “Teko dance nahi karna na?” He asked Riddhima. At Riddhima’s agreement, he handed her the dhol. “Ek kaam kar… dhol baja. Hum sab dance karenge!”

“Mujhe thodi dhol bajana aata hai!” Riddhima protested.

“Pch! Kya yaar, Ridz!” Atul grumbled. “Theek hai. Toh… main hi dhol bajaata hoon. Tum log thoda aise hi dance karo na! Kitna mazaa aayega. Please!!”

Armaan scrunched his nose, looking like he was about to protest, but ended up giving in when he saw Riddhima had already started dancing. One by one, the entire gang joined them, prompting other guests to take part in the fun too. They only stopped when Shashank and Padma put a stop to the festivities so that the mehendi ceremony could start.

“Chalo, chalo! Mehendi ke liye late ho raha hai!” Padma scolded them. “Ab yeh sab naach - gaana ek baar ke liye band karo aur jaake tayyaar ho jao. Uske baad phir kar lena!”

When it looked like they were about to protest, Shashank stepped in. “Koi behes nahi,” he stated. “Padma ki baat maano aur jao tayyaar hoke aao!”

Not wanting to cross Shashank, they all immediately dispersed, making him laugh. At times he found it very funny just how much fear he inspired in all of them. Yes, he was a strict disciplinarian, but he didn’t think he was such a tough father that they had to be scared of him outside the hospital too. But, it worked to his advantage most of the time so he was not complaining. 

“Tu kya wahaan khade hoke apne daant dikha raha hai!” Nani scolded him. “Jaa, tu bhi jaake ready ho jaldi se!”

Shashank immediately sprung into action at her words. So, maybe it was more of a parent thing than something specific to do with him. He decided he could live with that. After all, it had it’s perks.

DMGThings thumbnail

Chapter One Hundred & Nineteen

An hour or so later, everyone had gathered in the garden, decked up for the mehendi ceremony. They had gone all out with the decor. The ceremony itself was taking place in one of the many expansive gardens of the hotel, as had been requested by the couple. They had wanted an open and spread out event, not wanting people to be confined in a smaller space. Sofas, chairs, and tables had been placed strategically throughout the garden for guests. Canopies of multicoloured cloth lined every table. Flowers were strategically placed at regular intervals, adding to the beauty of the set-up, while also making the garden smell majestic. One side of the garden was reserved exclusively for food with a wide spread to satisfy everyone’s taste buds. Atul & Muskaan had poured their heart and soul into finalizing the wedding menu, going on numerous tastings before they pulled together a menu that was acceptable enough to pass Armaan & Riddhima’s judgement and it showed. While the process might have been very engaging for foodies like the two of them, they had still tried more than a hundred dishes to settle on an acceptable fifteen. Those had been truly scary times. Watching them battle out what was acceptable to be put on the menu and what not was a task in itself. Rahul was very proud of himself for coming out of the negotiation unscathed. It had all been worth it in the end though, because the end result was nothing short of a scene from a storybook. 

The gang had all decided to go colour coordinated and were dressed in pastel green. They had decided to match outfits for all occasions, excited as they were. Anjali and Nikki had chosen every single theme after hours of debate, wanting to compliment the couple’s look perfectly. It showed in how beautiful they looked, standing there together.

They were entertaining the other guests, waiting for the fashionably late entry of the couple of the hour, just merry making and sharing their excitement. Atul had broken into song once more, twisting the lyrics to suit his purpose.

Aaj mere yaar ki mehendi hai,

Aaj mere yaar ki mehendi hai,

Yaar ki mehendi, yaar ki mehendi,

Mere yaar ki mehendi hai!

He was belting the words out in a highly offkey tone, making everyone laugh, and making Muskaan want to hit him. Which she did. The two of them got into another argument, which only stopped because of Armaan & Riddhima’s arrival into the venue.

They’d arrived in a rickshaw of all things. Armaan was pedalling while Riddhima sat on the seat behind him. It did not seem in any way something either of them would ever do, despite how cheesy they were. This was straight from a Bollywood movie and too much even for them. Nonetheless, they were greeted with thunderous applause as everyone hooted at their very filmy entry.

Armaan 

Riddhima 

Rahul 

Muskaan

Nikki

Abhi

Atul

Anjali 

“Yeh tera idea tha?” Nikki asked Rahul, figuring that Muskaan had somehow influenced his decision.

“Kli,” Rahul clicked his tongue. “Anjy ka. She’s been taking inspiration from Bollywood movies. I think finally dating Atul is bringing it out in her.”

The two of them shared a laugh before Nikki exclaimed, “I love it!”

“Me too,” Rahul agreed. “It’s so cheesy.”

“I never thought these two would get to this level of cheesy,” Nikki commented. “But… looks good on them somehow.”

Rahul hummed in agreement. 

“The couple of the hour, everyone!” Anjali announced in excitement, making everyone clap harder. Riddhima blushed a deep red at all the attention. Armaan got down from the cycle and, ever the gentleman, turned to lend Riddhima a hand to help her get down. Riddhima smiled at him and took his proffered hand, stepping onto the step of the rickshaw, only to have Armaan sweep her into his arms. The crowd hooted at his actions as Riddhima cried out his name, holding on to him tight.

“Armaan!” Riddhima shouted at him in a whisper. “Kya kar rahe ho? This is so embarrassing!”

“Baskettttt,” Armaan whined. “This is our wedding. Itna toh kar hi sakte hain! Isme embarrass hone wali kya baat hai?”

“Sab dekh rahe hain!” Riddhima hissed.

“Woh toh waise bhi humein hi dekhte na,” Armaan countered. “Like I said, this is our wedding! Hum kuch bhi karein, sab humein hi dekhne wale hain, toh at least we should make the spectacle a little worthwhile na! Nahi toh kitna boring ho jaayega. Aur waise bhi… tumhe uthaane ka toh mujhe bahana chahiye bas. You know that already!”

Riddhima couldn’t help laughing at his words. What he was saying was true. They were the centre of attention for the next few days and everyone would stare no matter what. Might as well have some fun while they’re at it, right? It wasn’t like being in Armaan’s arms was a hardship. Far from it, actually. She loved the safety of his arms and would never want to leave, if given a choice. When he was holding her, she knew that everything would be okay, no matter what.

Those gathered at the ceremony, their closest family and friends, who had borne witness to their love story since day one in its many forms, were still stumped to see the joy the two radiated together. The quiet contentment and happiness, yes, but also the exuberant ecstasy that they had, finally having this moment together… finally ready to get married. It was a beautiful sight, to see a couple so in love, finally make things official the way they had wanted to for so long.

Armaan placed Riddhima on a sofa, especially designed for her with a canopy of flowers surrounding it, the word dulhaniya hanging over her head. The cheers somehow doubled as he dropped a quick kiss on her cheek and then sat by her side. They were immediately surrounded by the women in their family. For this ceremony, all the girls had decided to participate from Riddhima’s side and all the boys from Armaan’s. Rahul’s idea of mixing it up was working wonders and Armaan was glad that he had thought of it, giving him time with all his friends before the wedding. 

Meera was the first to reach Riddhima. She pulled her into a tight hug. “Bhabhi!” She cried. “You’re looking so pretty! I love this lehenga so much!”

Riddhima chuckled, complementing her back. “And you are looking so good!” She gestured at Meera’s peacock blue salwar kameez. “I love this colour on you so much!” 

Meera blushed at the praise. Armaan laughed, pulling her in for a light hug. “You’re so cute!” He exclaimed, pulling her cheek.

“Armaan Bhaiyaaaaa!” Meera whined, pushing his hand away and rubbing her cheek. 

“Kitni pyaari lag rahi hai aaj,” Ananya complimented Riddhima, making Armaan turn his attention to them. Ananya sat beside Riddhima and caressed her cheek. “Very beautiful, Riddhi, beta! And for a change, aaj toh Armaan bhi bada handsome lag raha hai.”

“Main hamesha hi handsome lagta hoon, Mom,” Armaan replied. “Bas aapko nahi lagta. Riddhima se poocho!”

“Ummm…” Riddhima pretended to think. “I mean… I think… of course, Armaan,” she said, completely faking it. 

“Hahaha, so funny!” He exclaimed, rolling his eyes at her obvious lie. But, playing along nevertheless, he added, “Tumse toh poochna hi waste hai. Mujhe pareshaan karne ka koi mauka kaise chod sakti ho tum.”

“Of course,” she agreed readily. Armaan harrumphed but didn’t say anything else. 

“Okay, ab ceremony ki shuru karein?” Padma asked. “Sab kabse bas tum dono ka wait kar rahe hain!”

She stopped for a moment to caress both Armaan and Riddhima’s heads, silently blessing them. 

“Haan, Mumma! Let’s start,” Riddhima replied.

“Sabse pehle, Padma tujhe mehendi lagayegi," Nani said. "Achcha shagun hota hai."

“Mom… mujhe bhi lagani hai Ridzy ko mehendi, please!” Anjali pleaded as Padma sat in front of Riddhima and placed a dot on her palm, the first to apply the mehendi as tradition would have it. 

“Haan, Aunty! Humein bhi. Please!!” Muskaan and Nikki joined Anjali. 

“Yeh koi tumhaara khel thodi hai,” Nani replied. “Rasam hai, beta. Padma ne bhi toh dekho, bas shagun ke liye itni choti si bindi banayi hai. Riddhima ki shaadi ki mehendi hai… aur hum mein se koi mehendi artist toh hai nahi. Tumhaare yeh sab karne ke chakkar mein uski mehendi bigad jaayegi.”

“Nahi, Nani,” Nikki assured. “Hum bhi Padma Aunty ki tarah choti si tikki hi lageyenge. Aap yeh sab isliye kar rahe hona… for good luck and best wishes? Toh hum bhi toh apni wishes dena chaahte hain Ridzy ko. Please, Nani… hum pakka ekdum chotu sa dot banayenge. Aapko pata bhi nahi chalega!”

“Nani… please, lagane dijiye na inhe bhi,” Riddhima also joined in. “Aur aap aur Mom bhi toh lagaoge… sirf Mumma kyu?”

“Riddhima, beta…” Nani sighed.

“Nahi,” Riddhima cut her off. “Aap rehne dijiye. Mujhe koi bahana nahi sun’na. Please, Nani! Aap sab aashirwad nahi doge kya mujhe?”

“Laa de,” Nani gave in, much to the girls’ delight. Nani, Ananya, Anjali, Nikki, Muskaan, and even all of Armaan & Riddhima’s cousins applied a dot of mehendi to Riddhima’s hands and legs for good luck, cheering her on. The delighted grin on her face made it all worth it for Nani, even as she wrangled all the giggling girls to not create chaos and not spoil Riddhima’s bridal henna. 

“Dhyaan se lagana sab!” She kept instructing them. “Aise kheecha - taani mat karo, warna mehendi bigad jaayegi! Shaadi ki mehendi hai… Khil ke aani chahiye. Ab… Jitna gehra mehendi ka rang hoga, utna hi gehra toh Armaan ka pyaar hoga."

Once they had all had their fill, the mehendi artists took over, expertly covering all the dots in breathtaking designs.

"Nani… Yeh mehendi ke rang se mere pyaar ka kya lena dena?" Armaan asked. 

"Arre, buddhu!" Ananya replied. "Kehte hain ki ladki ke haathon ki mehendi jitni gehri rachti hai, usse utna zyada pyaar karne wala pati milta hai."

"Ooohhh…" Armaan hummed. "Lekin yeh kya… Sirf ladkiyon ke liye exclusive hai? Agar kabhi ladke ko pata karna ho ki uski wife usse kitna pyaar karti hai, toh?" He asked. 

Nani laughed. "Kyu? Tujhe pata karna hai kya?"

"Haan!" Armaan cried out joyfully. "Main bhi lagwau, Nani? Please, please, please!"

The ladies surrounding them laughed. "Beta… Tum toh ladke ho," one of them commented. "Tum kaise lagwa sakte ho?"

"Arreeee… Toh kya hua? Mujhe bhi lagwani hai. Yeh sab happening rasmein sab ladki ke liye kyu hoti hai? No, no. This is not done. Yeh meri bhi shaadi hai. Mujhe bhi enjoy karna hai. Aapko mujhe bhi lagaani padegi," Armaan protested. 

"Lekin, beta…" Someone else started, but was stopped by Padma. "Aap sab kyu usse tok rahe hain? Agar Armaan ka mann hai toh woh zaroor lagwayega mehendi. Koi usse nahi rokega."

"Thank you, Mumma!" Armaan cried, hugging her tight. "You're the best. Thank you, thank you, thank you!" Padma just kissed his forehead in reply.

"Padma Bhabhi, aap na iski saari aadatein bigaad rahi hain," Ananya commented. "Har baat maan'ne ki kya zaroorat hai? Yeh toh hai hi paagal. Kuch bhi bolta rehta hai."

"Ananya Bhabhi," Padma replied. "Bachchon ki shaadi hai… Agar woh dono hi enjoy nahi karenge toh kya faayda? Aur Armaan ne aisa bhi kya maang liya? Sirf mehendi hi toh lagwana chaahta hai… Lagwa lene dijiye na."

"Ab aapse kaun jeet sakta hai… Theek hai. Lekin pehle saari ladkiyon ki mehendi poori hogi… Aur phir Armaan ko lagegi. Usse accommodate karne ke chakkar mein schedule nahi bigadna chahiye!" Ananya ordered. 

"Yes, Mom! Main last mein lagwa loonga. Happy?" Armaan answered. "Aap sab pehle karlo."

“Armaan… tu paagal hai kya?” Taiji interjected. “Tu ladka hai… yeh sab tujhe shobha nahi deta!” Turning to Ananya, she added, “Aur Ananya tu ne bhi maan liya? Yeh kuch bhi bolega toh iski har baat maan legi kya?”

“Bhabhi Ji,” Padma intervened. “Isme itni badi baat kya hai? Sirf zara si mehendi hi toh lagwane bol raha hai woh.”

“Padma Ji, yeh humaare ghar ka maamla hai. Aap beech mein naa bolein toh hi achcha hoga,” Taiji cut her off.

“Taiji!” Armaan cried. “Yeh aap Mumma se kaise baat kar rahin hain? Aur yeh kya baat hui? Humaara ghar? Ab toh hum sab ek hi parivaar haina? Yeh aap mera tumhaara kya kar rahi hain? Aise achcha lagta hai kya?”

“Armaan… tu badon ke maamle mein beech mein mat bol,” Taiji warned. “Aur yeh mehendi lagwane ki zidd chod de! Achche ghar ke ladko ko yeh sab harkatein nahi karni chahiye.”

“Isme achcha ghar aur bura ghar ki kya baat hui?” Lavanya, Riddhima’s Chachi, interjected. “Haathon mein mehendi lagaane se tayy hota hai kya ki kaun kaise ghar se hai? Meri aur Nishank ki shaadi ko itne saal ho gaye lekin woh phir bhi har tyohaar pe mehendi lagwate hain! Isme kya buri baat hai? Yeh bhi toh ek rasm hi hai. Agar Armaan bhi nibhaana chaahta hai toh achchi baat haina?

Aur waise bhi… shaadi ke samay toh dulhe ko bhi mehendi lagana kaafi common hai. Kitne log karte hain aisa… sab kya bure parivaar se hain? Aap aisa kaise bol sakti hain?”

Before Taiji could mount her defense, Armaan said, “You’re absolutely right, Chachi! Isme kya buri baat hai? Main toh bilkul lagwaunga hi! Aaj toh mera aur Chachu ka competition hoga. Main bhi dekhta hoon hum dono mein se kiski mehendi ka rang zyada gehra hoga!”

“Chup kar!” Lavanya scolded lightheartedly. “Badmaash kahin ka! Aise chedte hain kya chachi ko?”

“Ab Chachu ko bulau kya yahaan aapko chedne?” Armaan fired back instantly, making everyone laugh. “Waise… mujhe koi problem nahi hai. Aap chaahe toh main abhi bula sakta hoon!”

He was just about to call out Nishank’s name when Lavanya pressed a hand to his mouth, not letting him speak. “Rehne de! Padma Bhabhi sahi hi kehti hain… bohot shaitaan hai tu!”

“Woh toh main hoon!” Armaan agreed with a wide grin. 

Riddhima grinned at their banter, blushing a bright red. Trust Armaan to do something like this. As if she wasn't too in love with him already. He had to give her new reasons to love him everyday. 

Suddenly remembering something, Riddhima turned to Bi. "Bi, aap bhi lagwayengi na?"

"Beta," Bi replied, "main kaise?"

"Arreee, aap kyu nahi lagwayengi? Aise apne bachchon ki shaadi mein aapke haath khaali rahenge toh mujhe achcha nahi lagega. Aapko lagwani padegi, okay? Please, please, please!" Riddhima pleaded.

Bi looked at her, not wanting to deny her outright but also not knowing how to agree. Bi was a widow. Had been for more than a decade now. In that time, she had never applied henna on her hands even once. Right from a young age, she had been taught that henna was only for married women, and not widows. Despite how much she had wanted to, she had refrained herself from doing any of the things she’d loved doing when her husband was still alive.

“Riddhima theek hi toh keh rahi hai,” Armaan added. “Bi… meri shaadi hai! Aap meri shaadi pe bhi mehendi nahi lagwanyengi kya?” He pouted, knowing that Bi was always powerless against it. He had gotten away with so much mischief because of that pout. Bi had always been too soft when it came to him. 

“Bachchon ka mann rakh lijiye na!” Ananya insisted. “Aapke haath aise khali thodi achche lagenge?”

When Bi still didn’t give in, Ananya called Billy over. “Tum hi samjhao inhe,” she said. “Hum sab kabse keh rahe hain ki Armaan aur Riddhima ki shaadi hai toh inhe mehendi lagwani chahiye lekin yeh sunn hi nahi rahin!”

“Bi, mujhe laga tha aap aur main hamesha ek team mein hain lekin aaj aap meri baat hi nahi maan rahe. Aise thodi hota hai!” Riddhima piled on. “Main aapki har baat maanti hoon na?”

At Bi’s nod, she continued, “Toh aap meri itni si baat bhi nahi maanengi kya? Please lagwaiye na! Mujhe bohot achcha lagega! Please!”

"Bi… Riddhi itna keh rahi hai toh lagwa lijiye na," Billy said. "Bachchon ka dil rakh lijiye."

Sighing, Bi gave in. She had never been able to say no to Billy. He had been somewhat of a brother to her in all the years they’d known each other. "T se theek hai. Ab t se tu itni z se zabardasti kar rahi hai toh m se mehendi main bhi l se lagwa loongi."

Riddhima cheered at that. She looked up to see Armaan staring at her with immense adoration. He mouthed a quick thank you to her that she waved off. They were partners. He didn't need to thank her for every little thing. 

He laughed at that, before saying, "Nani, aap bhi lagwayengi na? Please!"

"Of course," Shashank & Padma replied in unison. "Maa toh lagwayengi hi. Riddhima ki shaadi hai. Unhe toh lagwani hi padegi," Padma added. 

"Tum bachchon se toh main nahi jeet sakti," Nani said. "Toh main koshish hi nahi karungi. Theek hai. Ek choti bel banwa loongi main bhi.”

A beat later, she questioned. “Tum sabne Riddhima ko mehendi laga di ya ab bhi koi bacha hai?”

“Hum bhi Riddhima ko mehendi laga rahe hain?” Billy asked, excited.

Nani grinned at his enthusiasm. “Bas shagun ki zara si.”

“Mujhe bhi lagani hai!” He burst out. Not waiting for anyone’s approval or denial, he picked up a cone and sat down beside Riddhima, his hand poised over hers. “Kahaan lagaun?” He asked.

Riddhima looked up at him, overwhelmed at his eagerness. He had accepted her so fully and completely. Her and Ananya both had. She still remembered when she’d first met Billy. She’d been so worried and skeptical. She’d always known that Armaan hadn’t had a good relationship with his parents, even if she didn’t understand the nitty-gritties of it. So, it felt all the more important to her to get his parents’ approval. She hadn’t wanted to become another link that added to the strain in their tumultuous relationship. 

Now, she was in a place where sometimes she felt she had more of a haq on Billy than Armaan himself did. He had strongly cemented himself as a father figure in her life and for that, she was extremely grateful. Yes, Armaan’s extended family hadn’t been as accepting as she’d hoped, but the unabashed pleasure with which Billy & Ananya had welcomed her into their fold made her heart flood with warmth. She was incredibly lucky to have found in-laws like them who felt more like parents. 

“Yeh, idhar laga diya!” Billy announced, placing a tiny dot on top of her thumb. Riddhima grinned at him and was rewarded with a kiss to her forehead. “Bless you, beta,” Billy murmured. “Tu bas hamesha aise hi khush rahe!”

“Thank you, Dad,” she replied. Billy caressed her head before vacating his seat for Shashank who also applied a tiny dot on Riddhima’s palm. 

“Dekhna, meri bachchi ki mehendi bohot gehri rachegi,” Shashank whispered softly to her. “Mujhe poora yakeen hai.”

“Papa!” Riddhima breathed, her voice thick with emotions. Shashank hugged her. A couple moments later, he pulled back and gathered her face in his hands, wiping the tears away. “Aaj khushi ka din hai, haina?”

Riddhima nodded mutely. “Toh aaj no crying,” he instructed her, his own throat tight. Fearful of crying in front of her, he hastily went away, Billy hot on his heels. Riddhima was about to stand up and follow him, but a shake of Padma’s head stopped her. She felt very restless, sitting there while her father was having a hard time, which Armaan understood very easily. He held her free hand in his and squeezed it tight, reassuring her that it would be fine. 

“Unki beti ki shaadi ho rahi hai, Basket,” he murmured. “Emotional toh honge hi na. Thoda time do unhe.”

Riddhima reluctantly agreed. To distract her, Armaan told Nani, “Nani! Yeh toh galat baat hai! Aap sab ne Riddhima ko mehendi lagayi! Mujhe bhi lagani hai!”

Nani shook her head at his antics, but wordlessly passed him a cone. “Main sirf bindi ke badle design banau toh chalega?” He teased.

“Bilkul nahi chalega!” Riddhima thundered. “Tumne meri mehendi ke saath kuch aisa - waise kiya na toh…” she let the threat hang in between them.

“Okay!” Armaan cried, raising his hands in surrender. “Kuch ulta - seedha nahi!”

Riddhima nodded in approval. Armaan turned her hand and placed a dot on the back of the third finger of her left hand, where her engagement ring usually sat. She’d removed it to get her henna done. Riddhima blushed at the gesture even as she rolled her eyes at him. He was so cheesy! Armaan laughed, happy to have successfully distracted Riddhima from her sombre mood. Turning to the henna artist, he returned the cone to her, happy to sit back for now.

Riddhima’s gaze kept wandering around, making her hair loose from the bun she’d tied them in. Armaan, the ever observant fiance that he was, tucked the stray curls behind her ear so they wouldn’t irritate her anymore, and then held her hair back for good measure. Padma looked at the scene with unabashed happiness. She remembered a time when Armaan had done the same thing for her at her wedding, and now here he was, doing it for her daughter, his bride. 

She bent towards him to whisper lowly. “I’m so glad I was right, Armaan,” she said, remembering her words from that day. Bohot khush naseeb hogi woh ladki jiski… tumse shaadi hogi, she’d told him. Never before had she been as happy to be proven right as she was today.

“Main samjha nahi, Mumma,” Armaan replied, confused. 

Padma couldn’t help her laugh. She rushed to explain. “Tumhe yaad hai… meri mehendi pe maine tumhe kya kaha tha?” She asked him.

Armaan looked at her, uncomprehending for a moment, before he remembered the conversation they’d had that day, and blushed, looking away from her, feeling shy. “And I was right,” Padma said, when she saw he did remember. “Main bohot khush hoon ki meri yeh baat sach nikli. So, so, so happy. And so proud of you.”

“Mummaaaaa!” He whined, still blushing. The women in his life had no regard for his well being, truly. Why else would they do this to him? Did they not realize that he couldn’t handle them giving him such sincere compliments? 

“Dekho… kaise tamatar ki tarah laal ho rahe ho. Hayyeee… tum itne zyada cute ho mujhe nahi pata tha, Armaan!” Padma teased him. 

“Mumma… thoda paani chahiye tha. Bohot pyaas lag rahi hai,” Riddhima interrupted their chatter. 

“Tum Mumma ko kyu pareshaan kar rahi ho?” Armaan asked her. “Main le aata hoon,” he added, looking at Padma. “Aap yahin baitho.”

While Armaan had gone to get her water, Aliya, one of Riddhima’s cousins, asked her, “Waise, Riddhima… RK jaisa superstar tumhaari shaadi pe kya kar raha?” She was subtly gesturing to where RK and Madhu were standing along with Rahul & Samrat. Apparently, RK’s mom and Samrat’s mom were acquaintances.

“RK and I are friends,” Riddhima replied, not taking the bait. Clearly, it bothered Aliya that she had such a famous friend, but she did not need to elaborate. Oh, she could. And it would be so much fun to put Aliya in her place, but Riddhima was not as petty as her, and she let it go.

Before Aliya could press for more details anyway, Armaan arrived with that glass of water that Riddhima had requested and helped her drink it. He even helped the other girls who had started getting their mehendi done drink water as well before finding his place beside Riddhima once more. “Mehendi toh badi hi achchi lag rahi hai,” he commented, keenly observing all the swirls and flowers on Riddhima’s palms. “Very pretty.”

“Thank you, Jeejaji,” one of the mehendi artists commented, making Armaan grin widely and blush at the same time. “Aap isme apna naam dhoond paoge na?” She probed. Turning to Riddhima, she added, “Didi, agar yeh nahi dhoond paaye toh neg ke aadhe paise humaare, okay?”

“Done,” Riddhima agreed instantly.

“Ek second, yeh kya baat ho rahi hai?” Armaan asked, confused. “Mujhe kuch nahi samjha.”

“Arrre, Jeejaji,” the artist explained. “Yeh rasam hoti hai ki shaadi ke baad, husband apni wife ki mehendi mein apna naam dhoondta hai. Aur agar nahi dhoond paaye, toh uski saza toh milti haina… jo ki generally paise hoti hai. Ab… agar aap Riddhima Didi ki mehendi mein naam nahi dhoond paaye, toh aapko unhe paise dene padenge na… toh usme se kamse kam aadha hissa toh humaara banta haina… aisi mehendi lagaane?” 

“Ohhhhh,” Armaan acknowledged. “Okay. Lekin agar main jeet gaya toh? Fir Basket… I mean Riddhima ko bhi mujhe paise dene padenge na?”

“Nope,” Riddhima answered quickly. “Mujhe kuch nahi dena padega. Test mera thodi hai… woh toh tumhaara haina. Toh agar pass ho gaye toh ho gaye, lekin fail hue toh saza toh tumhe hi milegi.”

“Waah!” Armaan scoffed. “Yeh achcha hai. Bas meri hi jeb dheeli karne pe tule hain sab!”

“Exactly,” Anjali agreed. “Ab samajh aaya hum iss shaadi ke liye itne excited kyu the, jeeju?”

“Hahaha,” Armaan replied sarcastically. “So funny. Not.” Anjali just rolled her eyes at him in return. 

“But!” He added a moment later. “Mehendi toh main bhi lagwane wala hoon na! Toh Riddhima ko bhi toh apna naam dhoondna padega mere haath mein, right?”

“Ummmm…” Anjali fumbled, not knowing what to say.

“Yes!” Armaan cried triumphantly. “Usse bhi dhoondna padega! Aur agar tum nahi dhoond paayi, Basket…” he added, addressing her, “Toh punishment toh tumhe bhi milegi!”

“Ka — kaisi punishment?” Riddhima stuttered. Knowing him, it could be anything.

Armaan just smirked evilly. “Woh toh waqt aane pe hi pata chalega!”

“Yeh sab mazaak masti chodo ab,” Nani stopped them. “Aur sabke sab khana kha lo. Jabse gappe maarne mein hi busy ho.”

“Nani,” Muskaan whined. “Lekin hum khayenge kaise?” She asked, gesturing to their palms. “Hum sabne toh mehendi lagwa rakhi haina.”

“Toh yeh saare ladke kis din kaam aayenge?” Nani questioned rhetorically, gesturing to Armaan. “Yeh tum sab ko khila denge. Haina Padma?” 

“Haan, Maa,” Padma agreed. “Aap sahi keh rahi hain. Waise bhi aaj breakfast bhi theek se nahi hua tha inn sabki masti mein, toh ab hum khane mein late nahi karte.”

And so, all boys were tasked with feeding the girls while also under strict instructions to eat themselves as well. Armaan, in particular, was very happy about this arrangement and eagerly plated all of Riddhima’s favourites for her and for himself. He fed Riddhima first, before eating himself, their entire party privy to Riddhima’s whining of what gravy she wanted in what bite. Armaan patiently listened to all her demands, feeding her as she wanted, making everyone smile. 

By the time they were done with food, Riddhima’s mehendi had also been done and Armaan was next. Finally, he thought, after waiting for hours. He was very excited for this whole shindig and was proud of himself for suggesting it. It was cheesy, but also so romantic. 

“Oh, Ridzy!” Nikki blubbered. “This is so gorgeous! I love it,” she exclaimed, examining Riddhima’s hands and feet. Almost the entirety of Riddhima’s arm had been covered in intricate mehendi designs, as were her feet a little above her ankle. 

“I love the baaju bandh,” Anjali commented, gesturing to the side of Riddhima’s arm which was designed to look like an armlet. “It is so pretty. And of course, yeh jo dulha aur dulhan hai,” she added, pointing to Riddhima’s palms which had a rendition of a groom on his knees, tying an anklet around his bride’s ankles. 

“Bohot hi zyada gorgeous hai, Ridzy,” Muskaan agreed. “Tu dekhna… iska rang bohot gehra chadhega.”

“Of course, gehra chadhega!” Armaan said, hugging Riddhima around the waist, and kissing her cheek. “Koi shak hai kya?” He asked.

“Nahi, nahi. Bilkul nahi,” Muskaan replied. “Tu sahi keh raha hai, Hero! Main bhi toh yehi bol rahi thi!”

“Hmmmm,” he hummed. Turning to Riddhima, he whispered, “Not bad, Basket. Bohot hi zyada khoobsurat hai. Aur… hogi hi na, mere naam ki jo hai.” Delicately, as if she was made of the finest glass, Armaan took Riddhima’s palms in his own and brought them up, carefully examining every swirl. 

“Armaan!” Anjali cried. “No cheating! Naam aaj nahi, shaadi ke baad dhoondna hai,” she told him.

“Anjy, shaadi ke baad na, mujhe aur bhi bohot kaam honge,” he replied unapologetically. 

“ARMAAN!” Riddhima cried. “SHUT UP! Kya bakwaas karte rehte ho!”

“It’s true, sweetheart,” Armaan answered, a smug grin on his face.

“Kitna besharam haina tu?” Muskaan asked rhetorically. “But tere se kuch aur expect bhi nahi kar sakte.”

“Tu karte kyu ho?” Armaan questioned.

“Sorry, Armaan,” Nikki answered in Muskaan’s stead. “Humaari hi galti hai. We should know better by now.”

“You should,” he agreed. “But, ab yeh sab bakwaas chodo. It is finally my turn!” He cried exuberantly.

“Armaan, are you sure?” Rahul asked him as he made himself comfortable on the spot that Riddhima had just vacated. “Ek baar tu lagwa lega toh fir turant haath dhone pe bhi thoda toh rang chadh hi jaayega.”

“Main kyu turant haath dhounga?” Armaan fired back. “Mujhe lagwani hai!” He exclaimed.

“Okay, okay,” Rahul placated. “Take it easy, dude. Main toh bas confirm kar raha tha!”

“Armaan… bhai, main bhi lagwau? Tujhe company dene?” Atul asked. “Tu aise akele lagwa raha hai toh mujhe achcha nahi lag raha. Aur mujhe bhi dekhna hai ki meri mehendi ka rang kitna gehra chadhta hai,” he added shyly.

“Awwww, Champ!” Armaan cooed as Anjali blushed. “Tu lagwana… isme kisi ko poochne ki kya zaroorat hai? Tere haath, teri marzi!”

“Theek hai,” Atul answered. “Main bhi lagwata hoon,” he said, lighting up at the prospect. He took a seat beside Armaan and immediately started instructing the artist to write Anjali’s name on his palm.

“Aur koi bhi lagwayega kya?” Armaan asked. 

“Mujhe toh baksh do!” Vishal was the first to bow out. “Waise bhi Saumya ne itni bhar - bharke mehendi lagwayi hai pata nahi hai usse kitna time lagega sookhne mein. Agar maine bhi lagwa li toh Vami ka dhyaan kaun rakhega?”

“Main lagwaunga!” Samrat declared, sitting beside Armaan. “Mujhe bhi dekhna hai ki meri mehendi ka rang kitna gehra chadhta hai.”

Armaan laughed. “Be my guest!” He cheered.

Samrat immediately launched into a detailed discussion, explaining the kind of design he wanted. Armaan looked at him with a fond smile. He had never thought that someone like Samrat would fall for his cute Gungun, but it was clear that the two of them loved each other very much. Armaan might not have been in touch with Gunjan for all these years but that didn’t mean that his affection for her had abated. He’d often recalled the memories they’d had together pleasantly and had missed her immensely. She had been one of the very few people who had genuinely cared for him in his childhood and he’d never forgotten the bond the two of them had forged over their shared summers at the Bhushan house.

He had always wanted Gunjan to find all the happiness in the world, to be loved the way she deserved. And he could see that Samrat did. He saw Gunjan for who she was and loved her just as she was. Not everyone was lucky to have that kind of love, so he was extremely grateful that his cute little Gungun had found it.

“Jeeju!” Ishaan materialized, seemingly out of nowhere. “Main bhi lagwaunga!”

“Tu?” Armaan asked. “Kyu? Tujhe kyu lagwani hai?”

“Woh — woh —” Ishaan fumbled.

“Yeh jabse woh woh kya kar raha hai?” Armaan pressed. “Teri bhi koi girlfriend hai kya? Check karna hai woh tujhse kitna pyaar karti hai?”

Suddenly, Meera seemed very interested in their conversation. “JEEJU!” Ishaan cried. “Aisa kuch nahi hai. Woh toh main bas… aise hi. It looks fun.”

“Oh?” Armaan breathed. “Bas… aise hi? Fine. Nahi batana toh mat bata!”

“Aapse thodi chupaunga!” Ishaan protested. “Meri koi girlfriend nahi hai. Sachchi!”

“Chal, chal,” Armaan waved him off. “Aise hi faltu baatein kar raha hai tu.”

“Seriously! Nahi hai!” Ishaan insisted. 

“Fine,” Armaan raised his hands in surrender. “Chal aaja, lagwa le tu bhi!”

Rahul stood back, watching his friends indulge in their whimsies, when he felt a piercing glare on him and turned to see Muskaan staring at him as if she was waiting to commit murder. “Oyyyeee,” he sidled up to her. “Kya hua?” He asked.

“Kya hoga?” Muskaan replied, looking straight ahead and avoiding eye contact with him.

“Gussa hai kya mujhse?” He probed when she didn’t say anything.

“Nahi, nahi,” Nikki answered, her voice oozing sarcasm. “Bohot zyada khush hai tumse.” She was sitting beside Muskaan and had overheard their conversation. She could very easily understand what Muskaan’s issue was, because she had the same one.

“Iska matlab definitely gussa hai,” Rahul surmised. “But maine kiya kya?”

“Kuch nahi!” Muskaan answered, not wanting to get into an argument.

“Kuch nahi?” Rahul wondered, confused.

“Haan,” Nikki agreed. “Kuch nahi kiya… yehi toh problem hai.”

“Tum dono saaf - saaf bataogi ki problem kya hai?” Rahul asked, getting frustrated by their innuendo.

“Ab… main aur Muskaan kya kare… hum dono ke partners toh itne thoughtful hai hi nahi ki humaare liye mehendi lagwaye… jaise Armaan aur Atul lagwa rahe hain…” Nikki sighed.

“OH MY GODS!” Rahul exclaimed. “Yeh hai problem? Bas… itni si baat?”

“Oyyeee… kaankhajure!” Muskaan defended herself and Nikki. “Yeh tujhe itni si baat lagti hai? Theek hai… hogi… lekin yeh choti baatein hi sabse zyada important hoti hai. Armaan aur Atul dono Ridzy aur Anjy se itna pyaar karte hain… unke naam ki mehendi bhi lagwa rahe hain apne haathon pe… aur tu aur woh Modi? Bas baithke dekh rahe ho… tumhe zara bhi mann nahi hota kya ki humaare liye tum bhi lagwao?”

“Muskaan…” Rahul murmured, clearly understanding that it meant a lot to her. 

“It’s okay, Rahul,” Muskaan interrupted. “Kuch kehne ki zaroorat nahi hai. Aur main yeh nahi chaahti ki meri baaton se guilt mein aake tu kuch kare… so please ab jaake unn dono ke saath mat baith jaana.”

He cleared his throat and uncuffed his sleeves, pushing them a little up. Then, he shoved his wrist in Muskaan’s line of vision, making her gasp. There, Rahul had gotten her name tattooed, albeit in mehendi. “Itna bhi bura nahi hoon, yaar,” he mumbled. “Haathon pe hi lagwana chaahta tha,” he explained. “Lekin tujhe bhi pata hai ki kitna kaam hai. Agar main aise mehendi leke baith jaata toh kaam kaun dekhta? Isliye bas… itna hi karwa paaya.”

Turning to Nikki, he added. “Abhi ne bhi kaha tha ki woh lagwana chaahta hai… but decorator ke saath kuch issue ho gaya hai toh woh usse niptaane mein busy hai. I’m sure when he’s free, woh bhi lagwa lega.”

He started to get up, having said his piece, but Muskaan held his arm. “Sorry, Rahul,” she murmured softly. “Main thoda zyada hi gussa ho gayi thi. Mujhe tere saath aise baat nahi karni chahiye thi.”

Rahul smiled at her, caressing her cheek. “It’s okay. Kabhi - kabhi ho jaata hai. Main gussa nahi hoon. But mujhe zara kaam hai, toh main ek baar jaake aata hoon.”

“Thoda zyada hi gussa ho gaye na hum?” Muskaan asked Nikki after Rahul had left. While Muskaan was talking to Nikki, she kept her eyes firmly on Rahul. He was standing a few paces away, out of hearing range, instructing someone from the staff about something. Even before the man had left, Rahul was accosted by Vishal Bhaiya for something, quickly followed by Naina. It was clear Rahul had his hands more than full with everything, and she had expected him to just sit idle… She had made this whole thing about her, forgetting this was about Armaan & Riddhima. The two of them had always set everything aside to help their friends, and now, when they were finally doing something that was for them, instead of being happy for them and basking in their joy, Muskaan had made it about how apparently Rahul didn’t love her enough, when he did. 

Even if Rahul had not had any mehendi applied, what difference would it make? Yes, it was a cute tradition, but that’s all that it was… a tradition. It did not define their love. It did not define their relationship. She should not have gotten angry just then. She knew that Rahul was not as romantic or affectionate as Armaan had always been, was not as demonstrative of his feelings for her as Armaan was, but that did not mean he didn’t love her just as much as Armaan loved Riddhima, if not more. 

“Baad mein achche se sorry bol denge,” Nikki murmured, though she wasn’t sure Muskaan heard her, as preoccupied as she was, staring at Rahul. Nikki smiled at her and shook her head, knowing it would be best to leave her to her thoughts for a while, and instead got up to sit beside Riddhima, though it was not without effort. She was eight months along now, and even breathing hurt at times, but she knew it would be worth it when she finally had her baby in her arms. She just had to get through the next few weeks.

“Nikki!” Abhi cried, materializing out of seemingly nowhere, holding her arm and helping her waddle the few steps she needed to take to reach her other friends. “Aaraam se chalo,” he instructed. 

Nikki hummed in agreement and took careful steps, heaving most of her weight on Abhi. When she reached the sofa where Riddhima was sitting along with Armaan and Atul, a few of the Gupta & Mallik cousins keeping her company, she sat down and sagged. “Nikki!” Riddhima cried, pulling her into a hug. “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine,” Nikki panted. “Bas… you know aajkal thodi si movement se hi thak jaati hoon.”

“I know,” Riddhima replied, rubbing her arm sympathetically. “But just a few more weeks!”

“Riddhima… tum ho Nikki ke saath?” Abhi asked her. “Woh… actually, Anjali wanted me to help her with something. So…”

“Abhi,” Riddhima smiled indulgently. “Go. Main hoon yahaan, Nikki ke saath. Uska achche se dhyaan rakhungi. Tum tension mat lo.”

“Thanks!” Abhi beamed. He dropped a quick kiss to Nikki’s head and left in search of Anjali.

“Tera husband bohot hi cute hai, Nik,” Riddhima murmured once he was out of earshot.

“Haina?” Nikki replied proudly. “He’s the best.”

Armaan cleared his throat. “Sirf Abhi hi cute nahi hai, you know… aur log bhi hain.”

“Hmmmm,” Riddhima murmured, ignoring him. “Kuch jalne ki smell nahi aa rahi, Nikki?”

“I think so,” Nikki agreed, laughing.

“Excuse me!” Armaan scoffed. “Main koi jal - wal nahi raha hoon.”

“Maine tumse toh kaha hi nahi,” Ridhdima replied. 

“Par tumhaara matlab toh wohi tha na?” Armaan fired back.

“Tumhe kaise pata?” Riddhima posed, the picture of innocence. It made Nikki guffaw.

“See,” Armaan pointed to her in evidence. “Everyone knows what you meant.”

“I didn’t mean anything,” Riddhima replied, defiant. “Lekin tum agar jealous the toh… I mean… itne bhi bure nahi ho tum, baby. Don’t worry.”

“Hahaha,” Armaan said, rolling his eyes for added effect.

“Ridzyyy!” Atul cried, shoving his hands in her face, halting their argument. He had been too busy instructing the henna artists to pay attention anyway. “Achchi lag rahi haina?” He asked her.

Riddhima took a moment to carefully study his palms before nodding her approval. “Very pretty, Atul,” she assured. “Yeh plant ki design tumne suggest ki na?” She asked him, motioning to the vines that were encircling most of his palm. Atul nodded happily. “Haan,” he said. “Cute haina? Yeh mere sabse naye paudhe… Rhea ke liye.”

“Awwww,” the girls cooed. “So cute, Atul!” They both said in unison, making everyone around them chuckle.

“Thank you!” He cried, pressing quick kisses to both their cheeks. Ever since he had started dating Anjali, Atul was starting to get more comfortable with showing everyone affection. While he had no qualms hugging any of his friends before, he didn’t generally kiss the girls, ever. But now, it was becoming something he did often, maybe because of Anjali. He had taken to greeting her every morning at the hospital with a kiss on the cheek along with a coffee, and that habit was manifesting with the others too. Not that anyone was complaining. Atul was the cutest friend they all had and it was so nice to see him this way.

“Main na,” he said. “Anjali ko dikhake aata hoon. Usse poochta hoon kaisi hai. Usse achchi lagegi na?”

“Don’t worry!” Riddhima assured. “Di ko tumhaari mehendi bohot achchi lagegi.”

“Thanks, Ridz! Tu best hai!” He cried. With another kiss to her cheek, he was gone.

“Armaan,” one of his cousins, Sharan, came up to him to say, “bro kya boring party hai yeh. Matlab, jabse bas sab aunty aur uncle type log bakwaas se 500 saal puraane gaane gaa rahe hain aur sabko bore kar rahe hain. Yeh sab hi karna tha toh kyu bulaya humein? I can’t believe I woke up at 9 in the morning for this!”

“Sharan, yeh party nahi hai, meri shaadi hai,” Armaan replied, trying hard to be civil. Sharan was a second cousin of his and the two of them had only seen each other a handful times in their entire life, but Armaan had never liked him. And, Sharan had not liked him much either, Armaan suspected. He was actually surprised that the man had turned up at the wedding, but he had heard that Sharan was in between jobs right now, so maybe he thought it would be a way to pass time and party. 

“Aur shaadi mein yeh saari rasmein hoti hi hain,” he continued. “I thought itna toh tujhe pata hi hoga. What did you expect? Ki hum bas poora time drink karenge aur loud music pe dance karenge?”

One look at Sharan’s face told Armaan that this is exactly what he had expected when he’d come here. Armaan did not know why he bothered. It was clear that his family would never understand him, or be there for him. They had shown that plentily when he grew up, turning their noses and gossiping about his parents, but never once extending a hand towards him. Their kids were all the same as them. He should not be surprised. Yet, sometimes, he still was.

“Look, don’t create a scene here,” Armaan finally said, gesturing to their cousins surrounding them. “This is not some random party. This is my mehendi ceremony. And it’s perfect. If you have any issues, please go back to your room to rest.”

“Armaan…” Riddhima tried to get him to back off. He was being a little too rude and Sharan was their guest.

“Nahi, Riddhima,” he replied. “It’s fine. I’m not being rude… main sirf Sharan se yeh keh raha hoon ki agar usse yahaan achcha nahi lag raha toh woh apne room mein jaake rest karle… aaj shaam ko sangeet hai, and I hope woh tumhaare standards match kare,” he added the last part looking at Sharan.

Saumya, knowing perfectly well that it was in all their best interests to not Armaan lose his temper, agreed with him. “Armaan theek hi toh keh raha hai, Sharan. Tum abhi jaake thode time aaraam karlo… phir shaam ko sangeet mein sab bohot masti karenge toh tum uske liye ready rahoge!”

“Bhabhi is right,” Meera added. “Aur… yahaan sirf tumhe maza nahi aa raha, Sharan. We are enjoying ourselves!”

Seeing as he was clearly outnumbered, Sharan scoffed and stalked away. The atmosphere was pretty tense after that as nobody spoke a word. To ease the tension, Gunjan turned to Armaan and started babbling. “Maan Bhaiya… aapki mehendi toh bohot achchi lag rahi hai! Mujhe nahi pata tha aap sach mein lagwa loge… mujhe toh laga ki aap bas aise hi keh rahe but aap toh sach mein hi baith gaye! You’re so cute!”

Armaan laughed at her words, the encounter with Sharan starting to become a mere memory. “Well… of course! Maine aise hi thodi kaha tha!”

“By God, Bhaiya!” Nupur cried. “Aap toh ekdum Shah Rukh Khan type ke nikle… pyaar mein kuch bhi karne wale. Haayyyeee! Riddhima Bhabhi kitni lucky hai!”

Nupur’s words triggered a laughing fit throughout their little group while Riddhima blushed and looked away. “Woh toh main hoon,” Armaan agreed. After a pause, he added, this time seriously. “But… main bhi kam lucky nahi hoon. Basket bhi theek thaak hai waise toh… haan, kaafi strict hai, teacher ki tarah, but itni buri bhi nahi hai.”

“Hey! Junior Hulk kahin ke! Kya kaha tumne?” Riddhima demanded.

“Main toh tumhaari taareef hi kar raha tha, Basket!” Armaan cried. “Tum gussa kyu ho rahi ho?”

“Haan… dikh raha hai mujhe kitni taareef kar rahe the,” Riddhima scoffed. “Tum zyada smart ban’ne ki koshish mat karo, samjhe? Aur chup - chap bas baith ke mehendi lagwao!”

Armaan pursed his lips at her command, and then turned to Nupur and gestured at her, as if to show that it had been proved just how strict Riddhima was, which made Nupur giggle loudly, setting off the others once again. Riddhima glared at Armaan, instantly halting his laughter, which made everyone laugh even louder.

“Lijiye, dulhe raja,” the artist finally murmured. “Aapki mehendi bhi lag gayi.”

Armaan smiled widely and carefully placed his palms together to see the beautiful designs tattooed on them. “Oh, this is gorgeous,” he breathed. Looking up at the two women, he said, “Thank you so much! Wow. Mujhe bohot zyada achchi lagi. Aap dono ekdum amazing aur brilliant ho!”

Armaan shoved his hands in front of everyone’s face, getting an opinion on his mehendi from them. They all only had good things to say, making him beam. When he sat by Dr. Shubhankar though, instead of showing him his hands, he asked. “Shubhankar Bhaiya… aapne Keerti Bhabhi ki mehendi dekhi kya?”

“Nahi,” Shubhankar lamented. “Ab tak toh nahi. Tumne dekhi?”

“Haan!” Rahul exclaimed, joining the two of them. “Bohot zyada pyaari lag rahi hai. Aapko pata hai… unhone bada sa S likhwaya hai apne haath pe!”

Shubhankar blushed at his words. “She’s so cute!” 

“Matlab… aap samajh gaye kya S ka kya matlab hai?” Armaan egged him on. Him & Rahul exchanged smirks.

Shubhankar blushed deeper before realizing what was going on. “Tum dono meri taang kheech rahe ho?” He asked. “Bhulo mat… main senior doctor hoon!”

“Of course, sir!” Rahul agreed. “Hum aapka mazaak thodi udayenge!”

“Good!” Shubhankar asserted before walking away.

“Ishq Hayyeeee!” The two boys called after him. When he turned to look at them, the two of them pretended to be involved in a discussion about Armaan’s mehendi. Shaking his head, he left from there, intent on finding Keerti and seeing her palms himself. Armaan & Rahul laughed as he left.

As Armaan showed more people his mehendi, he allowed complete happiness to wash over him, content to be the center of attention for this. After all, what they were saying was true. He and Riddhima did compliment each other perfectly. What more could he want?

DMGThings thumbnail

Chapter One Hundred & Twenty

After the mehendi ceremony was over, Riddhima went to get some rest, understandably tired from sitting still for so long. She was very sleepy too, having not gotten enough sleep last night because she and Armaan had been talking till the wee hours of morning. Intent to catch up on some of that missed sleep, she made herself comfortable in bed, only to be disturbed by insistent knocking.

“Kya hai?” Riddhima asked, irritated as she opened the door to see Armaan standing there.

“Baskettttt!” Armaan cried, rushing inside the room and closing the door behind him. “Tum kya kar rahi thi?”

“Main sone ki tayyaari kar rahi thi. I’m so tired, Armaan!” Riddhima whined. “Tum yahaan kya kar rahe ho?”

“Arreee… yahaan tum soti raho aur wahaan poori ki poori sangeet rehearsal finish ho jaayegi aur humein kuch pata nahi chalega!” Armaan cribbed. “Yeh time sone ka nahi… jasoosi ka hai! Humein pata lagana hoga ki woh sab milke kya khichdi paka rahe hain.”

Any other day, Riddhima would have been very interested in partaking in these hijinks with Armaan, but today, she really needed a nap. So, she told him, “Armaan… kya karoge jaanke? Abhi thode time mein toh humein sab pata chal hi jaayega na? Yeh sab karne se humein kya milega? Bas humaara time waste hoga aur kuch nahi!”

“Lekin, Basket…” Armaan tried to say something, but she cut him off. “Lekin kuch nahi, Armaan. Tumhe jaana hai toh tum jao. But mujhe bohot neend aa rahi hai aur mujhe sona hai.”

Armaan pouted. “Basket! Where is your sense of adventure? Tumhe kuch exciting nahi karna kya?”

“Tum rehne do!” Riddhima fired back. “Aise toh tumhe bada akele time spend karne ka mann karta hai… aur aaj jab sab kahin aur busy hai aur humein koi disturb nahi karega, tab toh tum kood-koodke kahin aur jaana chaahte ho.”

Armaan’s entire body language changed at her words. She was right. As always. When would he get such an opportunity before the honeymoon now? When both of them had nobody else to disrupt them? He didn’t think he would. And to waste this precious time chasing a silly dance performance instead of spending it with her… There was no competition. Of course, he should take advantage.

“Hmmmm,” he pretended to think, catching hold of Riddhima from around her waist and pulling her close. “You’re right. Humein yeh time waste nahi karna chahiye. Iska thoda achcha use karna chahiye.”

“Yes! So kar,” Riddhima agreed. “Chalo… tum bhi toh thak gaye hoge,” she commented, getting out of his arms, intent on going to bed. He pulled her back to him and held her tighter than before. “Lekin, agar main tumhaari baat maan raha hoon,” he added. “Toh badle mein… kuch reward toh milna chahiye na?”

“Reward?” Riddhima asked, scoffing. “Ab isme bhi tumhe badmaashi soojh rahi hai?”

Armaan shrugged. “Mujhe kab nahi soojhti?”

“Armaaaaaan!” Riddhima warned.

“Riddhiiiiimaaaa!” Armaan repeated in the same tone as hers. “Ek kiss toh banti hai!”

“Really?” Riddhima questioned, though obviously very rhetorically.

“Really,” Armaan confirmed. “I mean… mujhe sabki sangeet rehearsals dekhni hai, you know, like an adventurous person… lekin main itni badi qurbaani deke tumhe yahaan company de raha hoon jab tum boring, old logon wale kaam kar rahi ho… toh kuch toh reward milna chahiye na?”

“Hawww!” Riddhima cried, elbowing him, as she did not want to get her mehendi dirty by swatting him like she usually did. “Tumne mujhe old aur boring kaha?”

“Basket, tumhaare kaan kharab ho gaye hain kya?” He fired back. “Dekha… old hone ki nishaani hai yeh. And yes, maine wohi kaha. Ho tum boring. Arree… itni masti karne ka mauka hai lekin tumhe kya karna hai? Tumhe sona hai! Toh boring nahi bulau toh kya bulau?”

“Armaan, main boring nahi hoon, okay?” Riddhima commanded.

“It’s okay, Basket. Tum boring ho but I still love you!” Armaan commented.

“You know what?” Riddhima asked. “Fine. Hum sangeet rehearsals dekhne jaayenge kyuki main boring nahi hoon!”

Armaan whooped in victory. “I knew it,” he crowed. “Waise toh tumhaara bhi mann kar raha haina, jaane ka? Bas zyada hi achchi bachchi ban’ne ki aadat ho gayi hai!”

Riddhima shrugged. She did want to watch rehearsals, yes… but it was true that she wanted to sleep as well. If Armaan hadn’t egged her on, she would not have gone, but then would probably have missed watching her friends make a fool out of themselves, so it was a good thing he had. “Let’s go,” she said instead, not giving him the satisfaction of verbalizing he was right even though they both knew he was.

It didn’t take them long to find out where the rehearsals were being held. The staff was extremely helpful and pointed them in the right direction instantly, which was a folly on the part of their gang. Maybe they didn’t think that either Armaan or Riddhima would come looking for them, but they should have anticipated this would happen. Well, their lack of foresight was coming in handy, so Armaan was not complaining.

Peeping in stealthily, Armaan first caught sight of Anjali teaching Atul some steps and failing miserably. A little to the right, he could see Rahul & Muskaan arguing, and behind them, Dr. Shubhankar and Dr. Keerti, who were the only ones who seemed to have gotten their routine prepared and were rehearsing comfortably. He could see a few of his and Riddhima’s cousins rehearsing as well, and was happy to see that Ishaan & Meera seemed to have been paired off for a performance. 

“Armaan!” Riddhima shouted in a whisper. “Hatto! Mujhe bhi dekhna hai!”

“Haan, haan,” Armaan replied, not taking his eyes away from the scene in front of him. “Ek minute.”

“Armaan…” Riddhima whined when he didn’t move but it had no effect on him whatsoever. Armaan was focused on something in the far right of the room. With a lot of difficulty, Riddhima managed to take a short peek inside to see what had piqued his curiosity, to find that he was transfixed on watching Ishaan & Meera fumble their way through a waltz. The two of them stood a hair’s breadth away from each other and tried to dance, only to fail because they were more focused on each other’s eyes than on their feet. 

Both Armaan & Riddhima were so busy looking inside that they didn’t notice when they were joined by others. A loud clearing of a throat managed to break their attention and they turned around to see Abhi & Nikki standing behind them. “Yeh sab kya ho raha hai?” Nikki demanded.

“Kuch… kuch… kuch nahi,” Armaan fumbled. “Kuch bhi toh nahi. Main… main aur Basket toh bas… aise hi hotel mein ghoom rahe the. Time — time pass karne.”

“Ohhhhh,” Nikki drawled. “Really?”

Both Armaan & Riddhima nodded frantically at that. “Ha — haan, Nikki. Hum bas aise hi…” Riddhima tried to explain, but trailed off, having no explanation.

“Tum dono… rehne do,” Abhi stopped them, taking pity on the bumbling idiots. “Jhooth bolna aata nahi hai toh try kyu kar rahe ho?”

“Niklo dono yahaan se,” Nikki ordered. “Dikhna mat rehearsals ke aas paas bhi.”

“Nikkiiiiiiii,” they both whined at the same time. 

“No Nikkiiiiiii,” Nikki replied. “Jaao dono. Raat ko dekh lena sab jo bhi dekhna ho.”

“This is not done, Nik,” Armaan protested. “Humein bhi toh rehearsal karni hai.”

“Tumhe rehearsal karne se kisi ne roka?” Nikki asked rhetorically. “No,” she answered the question herself. “Jao. Jahaan rehearse karna hai karo. Bas… yahaan nahi.”

Riddhima tried to say something, but Nikki did not let her. “No,” she said. “Yahaan se jao. Abhi ke abhi.”

Behind her, Abhi was pleading with them to leave. It would not be good to get her worked up. Riddhima looked up at him and nodded in understanding. “Okay, okay!” She gave in, raising her arms in surrender. “Hum jaa rahe hain.”

“Good!” Nikki exclaimed, smiling smugly. Armaan tried to protest once more but one look from Riddhima rendered him silent and the two of them left. They entered their proclaimed rehearsal hall once Armaan & Riddhima had left to utter chaos.

“Atul! Theek se karo na!” Anjali scolded Atul after he stepped on her toes for the tenth time that afternoon. They’d not had a lot of time to rehearse because they were both busy with other stuff and that was coming to bite them now. While Anjali had tried to set a very easy to follow choreography, Atul was still having a hard time grasping it. Or maybe, it was that he was too busy throwing her lovesick looks to actually follow the steps. She didn’t know whether it was cute or annoying.

“Main kar raha hoon, Anjali,” Atul assured her, starting from the top once more. It took him a few more tries, but in the next hour, he had started picking up pace.

On the other hand, Rahul & Muskaan were spending more time arguing who was doing the steps right than actually practicing said steps.

“Oyye, kaankhajure!” Muskaan shouted. “Tu rehne de. Tere se kuch nahi hota! Main bol rahi hoon na… yehi sahi tareeka hai!”

“Haan, haan. Tu toh jaise Madhuri Dixit haina? Jo tu bolegi wohi sahi!” Rahul snarked.

“Dekh, Rahul,” Muskaan warned. “Faltu ke pange mat le tu mere saath. Waise hi bohot kam time bacha hai humaare paas!”

“Exactly!” Rahul agreed. “Bohot kam time bacha hai toh tu apni oversmartness dikhana band kar aur jaise main bol raha hoon waise kar!”

“Main kyu karu, haan?” Muskaan argued. “Tu kar! Tere steps sab galat pad rahe hain!”

“Guys, kya ho raha hai yahaan?” Abhi asked them, interrupting their fight.

“Iss idiot Rahul se pooch!” Muskaan answered. “Khud ko bas kuch zyada hi tees maar khan samajhta hai yeh!”

Abhi turned to look at Rahul, already done with this conversation. He’d rather be anywhere else than in the middle of their spat. “Yeh Muskaan hi steps theek se nahi kar rahi!” Rahul complained.

“Mujhe dikhao,” he instructed them. Rahul and Muskaan scoffed at each other, but got into position and showed Abhi the performance. 

“Tum dono hi galat kar rahe ho!” Abhi declared. “Ruko, main dikhata hoon.”

For the next hour or so, he helped the couple get their steps right, much to the chagrin of them all. It was the hardest hour Abhi had spent in his entire life. Choreographing them once more on his deathbed would be too soon. Thankful to be done with his task, Abhi rushed back to Nikki to read his lines with her.

At the far end of the room, Ishaan & Meera had been dancing around each other for the past hour. Being so close to the other was making it difficult for them to concentrate. On more than one occasion, Ishaan had almost kissed Meera before he stopped himself at the last moment. She wasn’t his girlfriend!

“One more time?” Meera asked sheepishly as she forgot a step. Ishaan shook his head fondly but agreed, getting into position. As he twirled her towards him, she ended up crashing into his chest. When she pulled back, she realized that her locket had gotten twined with one of the buttons on his shirt. 

“Oops!” She muttered sheepishly. She gestured for him to stay still as she detangled the locket.

Ishaan looked at her intently, enjoying their closeness. He reached out and removed a lock of hair that was disrupting her view by flying across her face. Meera looked up at him and smiled in thanks.

“Yeh ladki haye allah! Haye haye re allah!” He crooned, unable to stop himself.

“Ishaan!” Meera reprimanded half heartedly. “Stop it!”

“What did I do?” He asked cheekily.

“Tum yeh stupid sa Bollywood song kyu gaa rahe the?” She asked him.

“It’s not stupid!” Ishaan argued. “It’s SRK and Kajol! Kuch toh sharam karo. Unko kaise stupid bol sakti ho tum!”

“I’m sorry!” She apologized, not meaning it in the least. “Tumhaare favourite SRK ko maine kuch kaha. But please, yeh roadside romeo type harkatein mat karo tum.”

“Main koi roadside romeo nahi hoon!” Ishaan defended himself. “I was being so cute… aur tum ho ki…” he pouted.

Finally having managed to detangle her locket, Meera stepped back. “Awww, lele… poor baby!” She baby talked him, pulling his cheek. Ishaan grinned. 

“Yeh sab chodo aur rehearsal pe focus karo!” Meera instructed.

“Yes boss!” Ishaan acquiesced, extending his hand for her once more. She looked up at him, and with a wide smile, took his hand. Ishaan’s heart skipped a beat. Love really was beautiful.

“Kya yaar!” Armaan whined, throwing himself on Riddhima’s big bed. “Mujhe rehearsals dekhni thi! Tum wahaan se le kyu aayi, Basket?”

“Armaan… Nikki ko stress nahi dena chahiye na humein,” she explained. “Waise hi yeh saare ceremonies wagerah woh attend kar rahi hai jabki usse ghar pe rest karna chahiye. This is her eighth month. Iss time yeh sab nahi karte. Toh agar hum uska stress kam nahi kar sakte, toh badhana bhi nahi chahiye na.”

“Hmmmmm,” he hummed. “You’re right. But still…”

“But wut kuch nahi. Hum shaam ko dekh lenge na,” Riddhima coaxed. “Itna kya munh phula rahe ho? Sab itni mehnat kar rahe hain humaare liye, toh humein bhi unhe support karna chahiye na.”

Armaan made a face but agreed. “Theek hai, theek hai.”

“Good boy,” Riddhima praised. “Chalo… ab kuch karna nahi hai toh main toh so rahi hoon.”

Saying so, she made herself comfortable on the other side of the bed, as much as she could, with her hands still covered in mehendi. Thankfully, Anjali and Muskaan had helped her change out of her lehenga and removed all her heavy jewellery before they left for the rehearsal.

Wordlessly, Armaan slid up the bed, cozying up to Riddhima. She turned to him and snuggled into his chest, while Armaan threw an arm around her, careful not to touch anything, lest his mehendi get spoiled. It was a tough fit as they tried to manoeuvre their hands, but they found a position comfortable for both of them. Once they were settled in, Armaan dropped his face low, pressing his lips to Riddhima’s. 

The two of them snuggled together and napped for a while till they were woken up by another round of insistent knocking. "Riddhima!" Abhi was calling out for her. 

Riddhima moaned and turned around, hiding her face in Armaan's chest. "Basket," Armaan whined, his voice thick with sleep. "Tum dekho na. Abhi kabse bula raha hai."

"Hmmmmm," Riddhima hummed, but made no move to get up. 

"Basketttttt," Armaan called once more. 

"Tum dekho na!" Riddhima complained. "Mujhe sona hai. Jao." She shooed him away. 

Armaan huffed but did end up opening the door. "What?" He demanded, rubbing his eyes. 

"Tum yahaan kya kar rahe ho?" Abhi asked him. 

"Arrreee! Riddhima ka room hai. Main yahaan nahi rahunga toh aur kaun rahega?" Armaan fired back. 

"Ummmm… Since it's Riddhima's room… Woh honi chahiye, I believe," Abhi answered sarcastically. 

"Woh haina," Armaan told him. "Andar so rahi hai. Bolo kya hua?" 

"Tum dono ek saath kya kar rahe the?" Abhi kept interrogating him. 

"Havan kar rahe the!" Armaan exclaimed, irritated. "Yaar… So rahe the, aur kya? Sangeet rehearsal toh tumhaari wife ne humein dekhne nahi diye, toh socha thoda productive use kar le apne time ka!"

Abhi scoffed. Rolling his eyes, he stated. "Whatever. Tum dono jao aur jaldi se ready ho jao. Sangeet ka waqt ho raha hai!"

Armaan hummed. "Aur kuch?"

"Nahi. Aapka bohot dhanyawaad," Abhi replied sarcastically. 

"Great!" Armaan cheered, shutting the door on Abhi's face. 

He went inside and sat on the bed beside Riddhima, who had already gone back to sleep while he spoke to Abhi. Slowly, caressing her hair and face, he whispered. "Basket, chalo… Uth jao."

Riddhima didn't even steer. He continued his ministrations, gently coaxing her out of slumber. Bending down, he placed a kiss on her temple, and then her eyelids, traveling down to her lips. 

"Mmmm," Riddhima hummed, her arms traveling around Armaan's neck. He grinned against her lips before kissing her some more. 

"Hi," he whispered once they'd pulled away. 

"Hi," Riddhima replied. He hugged her to his chest, and she snuggled in closer, enjoying their closeness. 

"Abhi kyu aaya tha?" Riddhima asked a few moments later. 

Armaan made a face at that, but replied, "Woh keh raha tha ki sangeet ka time ho raha hai, toh bas ab humein ready hona chahiye."

Riddhima's arms around him tightened at his words, making Armaan smile. He indulged her for a while, stepping into bed and laying beside her once more. They were interrupted by the click of the lock. Anjali stepped inside a moment later, with Tara and Muskaan in tow. The three of them took one look at the couple and cleared their throats loudly, making them spring apart… Or well, Riddhima pushing Armaan with such force that he ended up falling off the bed onto the floor. The three girls laughed at that. 

"Baskettt!" Armaan cried, scandalized. 

"Sorry," she bit her tongue. 

"Come on, Jeeju!" Anjali exclaimed. "Time to leave. Ab humein zara Ridzy ko sangeet ke liye ready karna hai."

Armaan muttered something unintelligible under his breath, making Muskaan glare at him. "Kya kaha tune, Hero?" She demanded. 

"Jaa raha hoon!" Armaan shouted loudly, not wanting to get into an argument with them. He stood up and made his way out of the room, staring at Riddhima the entire time. Because he was my paying attention to where he was going, he ended up hitting his head on the door, making everyone laugh once more. He rolled his eyes at their antics even as he rubbed his forehead to soothe the pain before leaving them alone. 

"Ab mujhe sataane mein time waste karne se better hai ki hum ready ho jaaye!" Riddhima exclaimed, before any of them could say a word, knowing that they would want to tease her. 

"Okay, okay. Nahi karenge tujhe tease," Anjali agreed. "But just because humein late ho raha hai!"

They got to work quickly after that, first applying make-up before helping Riddhima into her shimmery lehenga. Somewhere in the middle, Shikha Bose's team arrived, clicking pictures and capturing a video for the wedding film. 

On the other hand, Armaan whiled away some time with the kids before Rahul whisked him away to get ready as well. Rahul and Atul helped him don his jacket and set his hair, all the while posing for pictures and videos. 

When it was time, the gang accompanied Armaan & Riddhima into the venue. For the sangeet, all the boys were going to attend from Riddhima's side while all the girls were going to form a part of Armaan's baraat. The boys flanked Riddhima, dressed in a dapper black, in contrast to her white, and escorted her to the ballroom that had been converted into a ballroom for all intents and purposes. 

Decor 

Riddhima

Rahul 

Atul 

Abhi  

Armaan arrived from the other end of the ballroom with the girls surrounding him. He was dressed in a rich black kurta pyjama and jacket, forming an elegant picture with all the girls dressed in white surrounding him. 

Armaan 

Nikki

Muskaan  

Anjali 

The two groups met in the middle of the room, where Armaan stepped out from the crowd and dropped on his knees before Riddhima, offering her his hand to take, which she did, amongst loud cheers from the attendees. Armaan escorted Riddhima to their designated seating near the makeshift dance floor while the gang found their places in the crowd. 

“Hayyee!” Nani greeted them. “Kisiki nazar naa lage mere bachchon ko!” 

They sought her blessings before hugging her. “Aap aaj kitne zyada sexy lag rahe ho, Nani! Baat kya hai?” Armaan flirted with her.

“Chup kar! Badmaash!” Nani scolded him lightly. Armaan laughed. 

Padma made the two of them take a seat. Armaan helped Riddhima with her lehenga, making the onlookers coo at the sight. “All set?” Ananya asked once the couple was settled in.

“Yes, Mom!” Riddhima confirmed. “All set!”

“Kitne pyaare lag rahe ho dono ek saath!” Padma exclaimed. She reached up and wiped some kajal from her eyes, placing a dot on the back of both of their necks, while Nani took their balayein. 

A few moments later, the evening started. Since she was heavily pregnant and unable to dance, Nikki decided to host the event along with Abhi. The two of them started the function by welcoming everyone and thanking them for their presence. "Hello, everyone!" Abhi boomed into the mic. "Thank you so much for making it to Armaan & Riddhima's big day. I think yahaan jo bhi iss waqt present hain, sab jaante hain ki yeh din bohot difficulties face karne ke baad aaya hai. Isliye… Hum sabki excitement kuch zyada badh gayi hai, and we are so thankful that you're here to share this moment with our happy couple, but also, with all of us, who have been waiting for this day for so long."

“Frankly,” Nikki added. “Yeh dono idiots itne zyada stupid hain ki mujhe toh laga tha ki yeh din kabhi aayega hi nahi. But, I was wrong! Yeh din aa hi gaya, and trust me… I have never been happier to be proved wrong. Armaan, Riddhima… bohot tension di hai yaar tum dono ne mujhe. Seriously. Itna tension maine khudki shaadi ke liye nahi liya jitna tumhaari shaadi ke liye liya hai.”

“I can attest to that!” Abhi agreed. “This wedding is a very big deal, not just to the two of you, but also for all of us. Aap sab shayad nahi jaante but Armaan aur Riddhima humaare hospital ke evergreen love birds hain. They’re the famous Romeo & Juliet of our group, and everyone has been waiting for their wedding for months and months!”

"Ab, zaahir si baat hai ki humne itna wait kiya hai, toh celebration bhi thoda grand hona chahiye," Nikki continued. "Isliye, aaj hum sabne socha… Ki Armaan aur Riddhima ko celebrate karne, humein unki poori kahaani celebrate karni chahiye. Aaj ki shaam hai sirf Armaan, Riddhima, aur kahaani ke naam! I hope aap sabko humaari yeh choti si koshish pasand aaye!"

• Yeh Kaisa Ladka Hai - RaMusk

• Abhi Kuch Dinon Se - AnjAtul

• Ruk Jaa O Dil Deewane - Ishaan/Meera

• Prem Ki Naiyaa - Rahul Atul

• Kuch Toh Hua Hai - Vishal Saumya

• Pehla Nasha - Shubho Keerti

• Do Dil Mil Rahe Hain - Yuvi Naina

• Tum Se Hi - AnjAtul

• Main Agar Kahoon - Shubho Keerti

• Khuda Jaane - RaMusk

• Sajan Ji Ghar Aaye - Everyone

Once all the performances were done, Armaan & Riddhima hugged everyone of them, thanking them for the beautiful tribute they’d put together for them and telling their story in such a beautiful way.

“Thank you so much!” Riddhima blubbered, as she was crowded in a big hug by all her friends at once. “This was so beautiful.”

“It was,” Armaan agreed. “Mujhe nahi pata tha tum sab itna achcha dance kar sakte ho! The song selection was so amazing. Thank you so much!”

“Bas, bas… itni zyada bhi taareef mat kar!” Rahul told Armaan. “Tujhse khudke alawa kisi ki taareef sun’ne ki aadat nahi haina… toh weird lagta hai!”

His words made everyone laugh. “Ek toh tujhe complement de raha hoon aur tu upar se mujhe suna raha hai. Jaa! Nahi kehta main kuch!” Armaan huffed. 

“Okay, okay!” Abhi cut in. “Tum sab ladna band karo! Abhi tak saari performances khatam nahi hui hain! The most important performance is still remaining.”

"Right!” Nikki agreed. “Now that all other performances are done… the one we’ve been waiting for all night! Presenting, Armaan & Riddhima, everyone!”

Amidst thunderous applause, Armaan extended his hand for Riddhima to take, which she did. Armaan pressed a lingering kiss to her palm before walking to the middle of the dancefloor and pulling Riddhima into his arms in one smooth motion. They danced to a soft romantic number, Aur Kya, wooing their entire audience. As they danced, Armaan bent down to whisper lowly in Riddhima's ear, making her giggle and blush. When their dance was done, they separated after Armaan dropped a kiss to Riddhima's cheek. 

“Now that’s what we call a performance!” Abhi cheered. “Absolutely beautiful.”

Armaan bowed in acknowledgement. “Thank you,” he mouthed.

As Abhi and Nikki kept their audience entertained with some anecdotes, Armaan walked up to Gunjan. “Gungun,” he called softly, pulling her attention to him.

“Maan Bhaiya!” Gunjan greeted enthusiastically. “Aap aur Riddhima Bhabhi saath mein kitne achche lagte ho! That performance was brilliant!”

“Thank you,” Armaan replied. “Actually, mujhe tumse kuch poochna tha.”

“Poochiye na!” Gunjan encouraged.

“Feel free to say no. Main tumhe bilkul force nahi karunga… but… do you think you can sing with me today? Bas… ek gaana. For old times sake?” He asked tentatively.

Gunjan was taken aback by the request. She turned to Samrat, who already had an encouraging smile on his face. “Come on, Chashmish!” He cheered. “Armaan itne pyaar se pooch raha hai. Tumhe definitely gaana chahiye!”

“Haan, Gunjan!” Nupur agreed. “Itne dinon se tera gaana nahi suna. Aaj gaa de na!”

“Tum log usse force mat karo,” Armaan interrupted. To Gunjan, he said, “Gungun, tum sirf tab haan kehna agar tum yeh karna chaahti ho. Kisi ke pressure mein aake nahi.”

Gunjan smiled widely. That more than anything else, cemented the decision for her. “I would love to.”

“Are you sure?” Armaan enquired. She nodded.

“Thank you so much!” He cried, pulling her into a hug. “You’re the best. Thank you, thank you, thank you!”

As Armaan rushed to the stage, Samrat squeezed Gunjan’s hand. “I’m so proud of you,” he told her, making her smile.

"Thank you so much for coming tonight," Armaan thanked the audience, taking the mic from Nikki. "It means the world to us that you're here today to share this special day with us. But… Aaj ki shaam ab bhi adhoori hai. Gungun… I know ki tum generally sirf gaati ho jab tumhaara husband guitar bajata hai, but aaj apne Maan Bhaiya ke saath gaugi na? Please?" He requested. 

Gunjan laughed at his antics but nodded. Samrat smiled, reaching inside his jacket pocket and presenting her with a flower. "All the best, Chashmish. Rock it!"

Gunjan smiled, her arms going around Samrat's neck in a hug before she joined Armaan on stage. One of the staff members brought Armaan a guitar. Armaan thanked Gunjan with a hug before he started strumming a pleasant melody. Gunjan hummed in tandem with the music, hesitantly at first, and then slowly with more confidence as she saw her audience enjoying her song. 

The dance floor opened after that, everyone dancing to the DJ. Armaan pulled Riddhima close to him, slowly moving, completely out of tune with the fast song that was playing, but neither of them seemed to mind. Soon enough, they were pulled into a group with their friends, and they all danced together, frolicking well into the night. The music only stopped after Nani instructed the DJ to stop. “Chalo ab sab!” She scolded them. “Itna late ho gaya hai. Kal subah bhi rasme hain. Late hua toh phere time pe nahi ho paayenge.”

“Nani! Thode time aur! Please!” They all requested, but Nani did not budge. Finally, Billy allowed them one more song, after which, they were forced to vacate the dance floor.

Armaan & Riddhima were standing at the side, talking in hushed whispers. “Chale Ridzy?” Anjali asked, coming over to them. “Late ho rahi hai.”

“Haan Di,” Riddhima reluctantly agreed.

“Anjy!” Armaan cried, not letting her take Riddhima away. “Tu — tum chalo na. Main… Main Riddhima ko chod dunga!”

“Armaan!” Anjali cried, her tone somehow chastising and teasing at the same time.

“Please, Anjy! Half an hour! I promise. Itna toh kar do mere liye. Please, please, please!” He begged. Anjali looked at Riddhima to see her little sister pouting at her too.

“Fine,” she sighed, giving in. “Just because I’m a nice person… lekin, aadhe ghante se ek second zyada nahi!”

“Promise!” Armaan vowed. Stepping forward, he gave her a quick hug. “You’re the best!”

“Not so easily,” Anjali snarked. “Main yeh free mein nahi kar rahi. You’ll owe me big, Mallik!”

“Whatever you want,” Armaan agreed instantly.

“Hayyyeee! Ridzy ke saath thoda waqt bitaane ki itni talab? I’m impressed! Go!” Anjali teased. “But remember your promise!”

Not having to be told twice, Armaan immediately tugged Riddhima away. Riddhima giggled, running to keep up with Armaan’s brisk pace. “Armaan!” She cried. “Thoda dheere chalo!”

Armaan turned around to see her struggling to match his strides and immediately stopped. When Riddhima came to a halt as well, he wasted no time in lifting her in his arms. “Armaan!” She cried out. “Kya kar rahe ho?”

“Tumne hi kaha na… tum itni tez nahi chal paa rahi ho… toh ab, no tension! Tumhe chalna hi nahi padega!” Armaan explained. Riddhima shook her head, but rested her head on his shoulder.

A few moments later, Armaan put Riddhima back on her feet by the poolside. He folded his pants and sat down, putting his legs in the water, giving Riddhima a hand. She lifted her lehenga and took his hand, sitting down beside him. Riddhima rested her head on Armaan's shoulder, sighing contentedly. 

Armaan kissed her forehead, following the trail down her eyes to her nose to her lips. Riddhima's arms wound around his neck, her fingers finding purchase in his hair and tugging. Armaan groaned and wound his arms tighter, pulling Riddhima closer to him. A few moments later, they both pulled back, breathing heavily. Armaan rested his forehead against Riddhima's, breathing in her scent. 

"Hey," he whispered, after he was breathing normally. 

"Hi," Riddhima replied. 

"Almost there," Armaan murmured, holding her hand against his thundering heart. "Mujhe believe hi nahi ho raha… Kal humaari shaadi hai!"

"Kal humaari shaadi hai," Riddhima agreed. 

"Kabhi - kabhi lagta hai ki yeh sab sirf ek khoobsurat sapna hai," Armaan confessed. Gazing at Riddhima impeachingly, he asked, "Yeh sapna nahi haina, Basket?"

Riddhima's response was to pinch his wrist. "Ouch!" Armaan exclaimed, slapping her hand away. "Yeh kya tha?"

"Yeh sapna nahi hai," Riddhima replied. "Iska proof."

"Woh tum kisi aur tarah se bhi de sakti thi!" Armaan whined. 

"Achcha?" Riddhima asked. "Kaise?"

"Bata doon?" Armaan questioned, his voice suddenly turning sultry, promising a million things all at once. 

"Ha — Haan," Riddhima managed to stammer. 

"Pakka?" Armaan probed, dropping his face into Riddhima's neck and voicing his words against her skin, making a shiver run down her spine. 

"Pakka," Riddhima breathed, tightening her arms around him and pulling him in closer. 

Armaan sighed and kissed Riddhima once more, longer and deeper, pulling her onto his lap in the process. Riddhima kissed him back just as fervently, her arms running around the expanse of his broad back, making him groan. "Basket," he whispered breathily, his voice sending a jolt across her body. 

"Armaan," she answered, lost in him. 

"I love you," he mumbled, pulling away just a little, drunk on her scent. "So much."

"I love you," she replied. 

Armaan held her tighter to him, breathing her in. "Kal iss time pe, tum officially Mrs. Armaan Mallik ban jaogi."

"Aur tum… Mr. Riddhima Gupta," she told him, making him chuckle. 

"I like the sound of that," he said. "Mr. Riddhima Gupta," he repeated to himself, almost awed. "Sounds perfect."

"It does," Riddhima agreed. "But not as perfect as Mrs. Armaan Mallik."

"Nope. Mr. Riddhima Gupta sounds better!" Armaan argued. 

"Mrs. Armaan Mallik," Riddhima protested. 

"Mr. Riddhima Gupta!"

"Mrs. Armaan Mallik!"

"Basket!"

"Armaan!"

"Maina kaha na! Mr. Riddhima Gupta sounds better!"

"Aur maine bhi kaha na… Mrs. Armaan Mallik does! Bas!"

"No!" Armaan cried. "Koi bas nahi. I'm right!"

"No!" Riddhima fought. "I am!"

"Main!"

"Main!"

"Main!"

"Maine kaha na! Mr. Riddhima Gupta sounds better!" Riddhima slyly argued. 

"Mrs. Armaan Mallik sounds better and that's final!" Armaan cried out, making Riddhima burst out laughing. 

"Yes," she said in between giggles. "I agree."

Armaan looked absolutely scandalized at having been bested by Riddhima. "YOUUUUU!" He shouted, outraged, sending Riddhima into another peal of laughter. As her giggles reverberated across her body, Armaan tightened his hold around her to stop her from falling. As her melodious laughter filled the air, he decided that he wasn't so mad after all, because making Riddhima laugh like this tasted sweeter than any other victory ever did. 

That's it for today! I hope y'all had fun!

Sorry I got a little lazy and didn't elaborate on the dance performances but writing those has never been my strong point and this was too long as it is :P

The wedding will uploaded tomorrow whenever I get the time LOL.

I'm going to be going wild on twt, celebrating tomorrow, so if you wanna be a part of it, you can find me on @/OyyeHoyyeBasket! :D

Much love, Prags!

Edited by DMGThings - 1 years ago
Batul22 thumbnail
Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

When u said yesterday you'll be updating today.. I had been checking kitni baari subhe se...

All seemed just like a fairytale ❤️❤️

Can't wait to read about the big day❤️

DMGThings thumbnail

Originally posted by: Batul22

When u said yesterday you'll be updating today.. I had been checking kitni baari subhe se...

All seemed just like a fairytale ❤️❤️

Can't wait to read about the big day❤️

Hahaha I was at work so updated after I was done :p

Thank you! 

DMGThings thumbnail

Abbe oh Aayu! Aise toh tu 100 baar message karti hai. Ab kahaan hai? 😭

..Phoenix.. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Itne mahino se tarsa kar aab kiya tune update vo bhi itna saree.... Can't event pout now. 

I am totally loving it. The small get to know cousins and frnds function it seems little too needed with fun talks and seems like armaan know everyone from Ridhima's cousin group. Hahahahaha loved that bit. 

Then armaan Billy talk was needed to. In few episodes back i was like how come suddenly they are all family given the roka drama. But then this convo had it all covered. Like when armaan updated Ridhima about how he felt talking to his father and how he promptly asked about her relation with Anjali initially it was too good. 

Armaan is serious all around Ridhima hahahah. He was frnds with her every frnd or maybe in touch with them at one point of time or other once. I was anticipating that Ridhima was get bit funnily irritated about him know them all and cutly complaint about it to him. Hahahahaha. 

Basketball match ways needs ending with armaan being happy with Ridhima winning every single time. Nani really made her points not only for basketball but also for marriage and life ahead. 

Today's parts are pending. 

Totally Loved all the detailing and small small punchs that u kept in here totally worth it. 

Edited by ..Phoenix.. - 1 years ago