Atomicbomb thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 6 years ago
I witnessed an argument recently. A person was complaining about why Sikhs always hijack the term 'Punjabi' when they only make up 15% of punjabis. Most Punjabi are not Sikh.
The response was that most Punjabi are not sikh but the ones in Pakistan are encouraged to not even speak Punjabi but adopt Urdu. They are ashamed of being Punjabi.

Other person said this was bullsheet and Coke Studio pakistan preform many times in Punjabi that some have even started complaining that they don't preform in other regional languages as much. Punjabi does not only mean sikhs

Then I thought who lives in Pakistan that would be on wiki.

Fawad Khan. 

Saw his bio. His parents were born in India and  left during partition. He speaks Punjabi. 

Edited by Atomicbomb - 6 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

TheRager thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4
His family on both sides are from India. His father was born in Patiala but not sure of his mother.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/hindi/bollywood/news/Fawad-Khan-I-cannot-imagine-my-life-without-my-wife/articleshow/39422948.cms
Justwatching thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
"most Punjabi are not sikh but the ones in Pakistan are encouraged to not even speak Punjabi but adopt Urdu. They are ashamed of being Punjabi"

Lol what ?
Urdu is the national language of Pakistan, which is why it is taught in all schools. I'm a Punjabi born and raised in federal capital of Pakistan.
ALl my four forefather migrated from Indian Punjab. None of us are "ashamed" of being Punjabi.
It is spoken more widely in Lahore and central Punjab cities than Islamabad.
It might be only the burger type kids who think they are too cool for Punjabi and look down upon it. Similar to south Bombay people who sound like they can't even string one sentence of hindi
Atomicbomb thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: justwatching86

"most Punjabi are not sikh but the ones in Pakistan are encouraged to not even speak Punjabi but adopt Urdu. They are ashamed of being Punjabi"

Lol what ?
Urdu is the national language of Pakistan, which is why it is taught in all schools. I'm a Punjabi born and raised in federal capital of Pakistan.
ALl my four forefather migrated from Indian Punjab. None of us are "ashamed" of being Punjabi.
It is spoken more widely in Lahore and central Punjab cities than Islamabad.
It might be only the burger type kids who think they are too cool for Punjabi and look down upon it. Similar to south Bombay people who sound like they can't even string one sentence of hindi

I did not say that. What the person I witnessed who said that. 

Punjabis in Pakistan are encouraged to speak Urdu instead of Punjabi. 

Urdu is the official language of Pakistan. 
BebaakBegum thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Had no idea about Fawad but I know plenty who have Grandparents who lived on other side of the border including my own. And No! I am not a Sikh but Punjabi Hindu, similarly there are Muslims too who are Punjabi coz of their roots, mostly in Lahore I think. Both side of my Grandparents moved from Lahore to India.
Justwatching thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Urdu is the official language of Pakistan.

No, English is the official language and URdu is the national language.

Even though punjabi is the most widely spoken language it is not the national language so the other states don't feel that their language is neglected
MeDhakkanHu thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
That's normal though. People moving to pak or coming to India after partition 
But 

Cezanne Khan's (Anurag of kasauti) parents are Pakistani and he is Indian 😕
IPSO_FACTO thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
There are many Indians whose parents and grandparents were born in Pak and shifted here after the partition. Mostly khatris in India have there parents/grandparents from Pak (lahore). I havs three friends whose grandparents were born in Pak.
Zeal17 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

Millenium Squad

if citizenship was determined by what our parents and grandparents were... thn we all are africans🤓
Jiyagulabi_26 thumbnail
My parents were born in India too.