Kashi is a compelling character

nakhre_wali thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 6 years ago
I must admit I have not seen the Bajirao Mastani movie nor do I know much about the historical figures this show is portraying. I also haven't seen pre-leap Peshwa Bajirao, though quite a few friends had recommended it (my loss - I didn't have the time then). So my viewing is coloured only through what has been shown post-leap.

I find Kashi to be quite a compelling character. One can't describe her as brave, strong willed, independent minded, insightful, patriotic, or strategic - characteristics that one can use for Bajirao and even Mastani. Her world is gentler, more domestic and familial in nature. One may even call her a guileless conformist perhaps. That's exactly why I find her an interesting character though. To me, a good story needs a well etched duel between contrasting personalities. Looking from this angle Bajirao and Mastani are similarly fiery personalities while Kashi is comparatively quieter, but will speak up when she is absolutely pushed to it.

Obviously the ~epic love story~ angle belongs to Bajirao-Mastani, but I hope the show depicts how Kashi's character evolves from where she is right now, to a woman of substance who finds her own space in amongst all the headstrong personalities. I like to see a good graph and she has so much potential! I want to see her developing her own opinions and ideas and interests... and perhaps in her own way contributing to the cause Bajirao and family are fighting for.

Edited by parul2999 - 6 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

BeyondHorizon thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6
Kashi has a lot more to her than what has been said but I am afraid makers are in no mood to explore her 😆 Ever since the leap happened the focus has been Mastani when funnily she should make her entry after a decade but makers are in a hurry to depict BM epic love and even forgot to consider historical stats 🤣
nakhre_wali thumbnail

Originally posted by: BeyondHorizon

Kashi has a lot more to her than what has been said but I am afraid makers are in no mood to explore her 😆 Ever since the leap happened the focus has been Mastani when funnily she should make her entry after a decade but makers are in a hurry to depict BM epic love and even forgot to consider historical stats 🤣

Woah that's quite the deviation if Mastani wasn't supposed to come into the pic till after a decade o_o; I guess expecting faithfulness to timelines from serials is futile lol.

I do hope we get to see Kashi coming into her own in the story - from a sheltered woman who Bajirao and Radha bai underestimate and perhaps think of as childish to a self-reliant one who is capable of sound decision making when the time calls for it...
Edited by parul2999 - 6 years ago
BeyondHorizon thumbnail

Originally posted by: parul2999

Woah that's quite the deviation if Mastani wasn't supposed to come into the pic till after a decade o_o; I guess expecting faithfulness to timelines from serials is futile lol.

I do hope we get to see Kashi coming into her own in the story - from a sheltered woman who Bajirao and Radha bai underestimate and perhaps think of as childish to a self-reliant one who is capable of sound decision making when the time calls for it...

Mastani should be a toddler at this stage but makers conveniently chose to overlook this critical factor. At least some of the other historicals can claim lack of evidence and grounds of fictional liberty but here that cannot be the case. 

@blue - That is what we all want but it would be foolish to expect that from CVs. They have ruined Kashi already to glorify Mastani.
Mayavi-26 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 2 Thumbnail
Well if u talk about real historical facts then there are no details anywhere how kashibai  was, because she was just bajirao first wife , even Marathi serial on bajirao never depict much about her, i have watch that. and i dint watch bansali movie because of distortion of facts shown in it, 
but yes bajirao ignorance behaviour towards her was hated by his mother radhabai. Now  that ignorance behaviour was from beginning or after mastani entered in his life is nobody knows because no details about his personal life is mention anywhere except his love for mastani .
kahiliginger thumbnail

Originally posted by: fairy_tales

Well if u talk about real historical facts then there are no details anywhere how kashibai  was, because she was just bajirao first wife , even Marathi serial on bajirao never depict much about her, i have watch that. and i dint watch bansali movie because of distortion of facts shown in it, 

but yes bajirao ignorance behaviour towards her was hated by his mother radhabai. Now  that ignorance behaviour was from beginning or after mastani entered in his life is nobody knows because no details about his personal life is mention anywhere except his love for mastani .

Kashi bore Bajirao five sons- two before Mastani came to Pune in 1729, and three after that. Yes, it is well publicised that Bajirao loved Mastani but there is a letter in the Peshwa Daftar stating that the Peshwa lived with both Kashi and Mastani till the end of 1737. The hassles in the family over Mastani began in late 1738 and continued until Bajirao's death in April 1740. For nearly a decade Kashi and Mastani coexisted with no apparent animosity in the family.

The clashes had more to do with the Brahmin born Peshwa's meat eating and alcohol drinking habits when in Mastani's company which led to the Brahmin community threatening to boycott the Peshwa family. Had Bajirao been born to Maratha parents instead of Brahmin ones there would have been no such trouble. And if serials tend to ignore Kashi it is because her relationship with the Peshwa has not been chronicled with such vivid details. Media loves controversial romance more as it offers more masala for a movie or serial script.
Edited by kahiliginger - 6 years ago
prettypri thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Whatever their intention is in showing Kashi as childish and immature, I somehow really like her and even relate to those aspects!
She was brought up to conform and she is doing that while trying to understand her firebrand of a husband who is simply not the way she thought he would be!
Even if details are not mentioned, the fact that she was the only woman in his life for years before Mastani entered seems to be a fact!
And they haven't built upon that at all!
If you are going to show her at all,be fair to her..else simply sideline her and make mAstani the centre of the story!
nakhre_wali thumbnail
Thanks @BeyondHorizon, @fairy_tales and @kahiliginger for insights into the historically known aspects. 
One point of characterisation for Bajirao that comes across from @kahiliginger's info for me is that in the show as well Bajirao has little time for rituals and religious boundaries - he considers them meaningless and society-created. His clashes with the pandits on various matters (e.g. devdaasi ritual, post-funeral rituals) also illustrated that. 

Originally posted by: prettypri

Whatever their intention is in showing Kashi as childish and immature, I somehow really like her and even relate to those aspects!

She was brought up to conform and she is doing that while trying to understand her firebrand of a husband who is simply not the way she thought he would be!
Even if details are not mentioned, the fact that she was the only woman in his life for years before Mastani entered seems to be a fact!
And they haven't built upon that at all!
If you are going to show her at all,be fair to her..else simply sideline her and make mAstani the centre of the story!

I agree @prettypri! The fact that Kashi is a bit of a misfit between Bajirao and Radha bai's personalities is what makes her character dynamic with them interesting to me as there's potential for her to approach problems from a different angle to defiant Bajirao who believes in action and this version of Radha bai who seems to take into consideration appearances and pramparas. Kashi looks more like a relationship/people person - which can also be a useful skill when it comes to handling sensitive nobility & courtly matters.

zaniax thumbnail
Kashibai's child-like nature is quite endearing. Wat I like the most abt her is the ability to find happiness in smallest of things. However, she needs to be more decisive and not let ppl take advantage of her innocence Lately, CV's are turning her into Radhabai's puppet!
BeyondHorizon thumbnail
Its annoying the way Kashi is being depicted as an immature woman that even her younger sister in law is more mature than her. If Rakma who came after Kashi could understand Chima's likes and dislikes how come Kashi is not aware about Bajirao's passion for swaraj? She seemed to acknowledge it as a child but where has that gone now? I was hoping that instead of echoing Radhabai's words Kashi does Baji's tilak and lets him go but instead she meekly muttered asking him to stay back. Hell annoyed 😡