Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Uzii thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 7 years ago
Nicely written chapter so khusi is so in love with nahar n he seems genuinely good man than how she will end up with arnav may be as mentioned in the update nahar pickup fights easily so maybe he endup loosing his life in one of fights.Akash is so quick in his approach n i really like it n i hope khusi takes this sensibily n not ruin it.
Ezther thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

PART 7:

Payal stared. Khushi stared. Dia stared. Mami was looking at the man with suspicion in her eyes. Who walks into a person's home and drops a bomb like that?!

"You look good," Akash said, his eyes not leaving Payal's stricken face.

Anger coursed through a recovering Payal. She stomped over to where they all sat and looked at her sister who was still staring at Akash.

"Please leave," she said quietly.

Akash's expression suddenly lost its humor, "I'm afraid I can't do that Payal. Not until I get an answer from your sister."

They all looked at Khushi who was now looking intently at Arnav, willing him to tell her that this was some sick joke they had cooked up on their way here. However, Arnav seemed to be concentrating on someone else behind her. She turned and noticed that he was staring right at Dia, who now looked away as Khushi's eyes met hers. What the hell was going on here? Did Dia know this man? When had all this happened and where was she when it was going on? Her head started to throb, and she rubbed her temple tiredly.

"Why my sister?" she asked finally.

Akash's gaze swung back to focus on her, "I haven't met a woman in years that managed to grab my attention without saying a word. I haven't met one who didn't know who I was from the very beginning, and even when she did, was not impressed by me. What can I say? I was going to wait until she finished her last semester but I couldn't risk her running off with someone else."

"So you brilliantly thought to come here and make a fool of me?" Payal was the one who answered, "Just who do you think you are?"

"I'm simply a man who knows what he wants Payal," Akash said simply, "Is that so unbelievable?"

Payal looked undecided. She had to give him props for coming out here and doing this drama, but she couldn't understand his stating outright that he wanted to marry her after one night of talking!

"What's going on here?"

The sound of Nahar's voice from the front door caused relief to wash over Khushi. This was too much for her to handle right now. If she could, she would have jumped up and given Nahar the bear hug that always gave her embarrassment each time he did it in public. All eyes turned to see his imposing figure filling the door way. Not for the first time, the men rose to face him. Khushi was however glad that he had put his shirt back on, and washed his hands and face.

"Nahar, these men are..."

"Akash? What are you doing here?" Nahar's voice boomed in the sparsely furnished living area.

"Nahar Varma," Akash's face broke out in a smile as he recognized the other man, "I could ask you the same question."

"I'm working my fiance's field. It is harvest season you know."

"Your fiance?" Akash questioned cautiously.

"Lalli," he beckoned Khushi, whose confused expression said it all. He hugged her to his side, "This is my fiance, Khushi Kumari Gupta."

Akash visibly relaxed, "Well if I had had that piece of information, maybe I wouldn't have come here without you."

"Oh?"

"This is my friend Arnav Singh Raizada," he indicated Arnav.

For some reason, both men only looked each other over and indicated with their heads, in acknowledgment of each other. Akash shook his head. It was never good to have two alpha males in the same vicinity.

"Nahar?" Khushi's uncertain voice reached their ears.

"It's okay Lalli. Akash is a long time friend of mine. Let me talk with him alone for a while. From the looks of it, you are not too pleased with whatever he has come to say," Nahar said, seeing her expression, "No frowning okay? Abhi ayi. Akash, chalo mere saath."

Akash excused himself, turned and followed Nahar out unto the verandah overlooking the fields. Arnav however, stayed back, settling himself into the chair and stretching out his long frame. He fished out his phone and began typing away, effectively ignoring his surroundings and all who were in it. Khushi glared at him, then got to her feet and stomped upstairs to her room. These idiots came to her home, gave her a headache, and this idiot would ignore her?! Payal followed on her cousin's heels, giving Arnav hate glances as she went along.

Arnav smiled at her, but directed his comment to Dia who still stood there, "Aren't you going with them?"

"You two are crazy you know that? What did you think was going to happen when you waltzed in here to announce your friend wanted to marry my sister?"

"Akash has a mind of his own. I'm just along for the ride."

"Is that so?" Dia asked, raising a brow.

He looked at her now, "I also wanted to see you outside of Rathore haveli."

"Now you've seen me," she said, conscious of Masi standing in the doorway of the kitchen, "Now you need to take your friend and leave."

"He's not kidding you know. Payal is all he's been able to talk about since last night and I came with him for my own sanity."

"Is he..."

"Dead serious? Yes." Arnav finished for her, "He's marrying your little sister one way or another."

Just then, Nahar's familiar guwaff reached their ears and through the blinds, and they could see him clapping Akash on the back.

"My cousin won't let it happen," Dia said.

Arnav looked her square in the eye, "She will have no choice. Akash always gets what he wants and that's a fact. One way or another, she will consent to this marriage."

"You don't get it do you?" Dia laughed, "We have nothing you want. My cousin can be a mule when she doesn't like or want something, and you can't make her. Word of advice to you and your friend? Kid gloves."

Arnav watched as she rose to leave him and go join her sisters, "What about you?"

"Pardon?" she asked confused.

"Are you as stubborn as she is?" he asked, watching her every expression.

She smiled fully, "That you will never know."

So saying, she turned and sashayed to the stairs, mounting it with a straight back and not another look in his direction. Arnav smiled again as he watched her. This woman was indeed seasoned in the game of cat and mouse. He would enjoy breaking her down. But first, he had to reply his sister's email. Apparently she had had another row with her husband. When would she learn? It was not wise to take the advice of divorcees and single women but she just wouldn't listen. He was getting tired of playing peace maker, which was a part of why he came for this wedding- to get away from it all.

Just then the door swung open and Akash returned, Nahar walking proudly beside him. Akash looked more relaxed. Not that you'd know he was tense by merely looking at him. He disguised it well.

"Just leave Lalli to me. I'll talk to her," Nahar was saying, "Lalli! Oh Lalli!"

Arnav looked at the other man with displeasure. What was she, a dog, that he would bellow and she would come running? Some men just didn't know how to behave.

"Lalli!" Nahar bellowed again.

A few seconds later, Khushi appeared from her room to stand by the railing in front of her room, but she didn't speak, her gaze simply sweeping from Nahar, to Akash, to Arnav, and back to Nahar.

"Kya hua?" she asked softly, but audibly enough for all to hear.

"Mere paas ajao," Nahar beckoned.

"Have you talked some sense into your friend?" she asked imperially from where she stood, making no move to come down.

"Aare Lalli, pehle baad mere paas ajao," Nahar said, a hint of amusement curving his lips as he saw the stubborn set of her jaw.

"Tell your friend to leave my house. I don't entertain crazy people."

So saying, she turned on her heels, re-entered her room and shut the door with a small click. That sounded more ominous than banging the door. Nahar began to chuckle as he observed the tick in Akash's jaw and the outright displeasure on Arnav's face as they observed Khushi's closed door.

"Akash mera dost, you should have come to me first. Now my Lalli is all ticked off and I have to clean up your mess," he said, "Even I get worried when she gets like this, and I'm marrying her!"

"You are unable to control your woman?" Arnav spoke to him for the first time since Nahar showed up.

Nahar drew himself up to his full height, "You must not know many women with backbones and a mind of their own in your life my friend. You wouldn't be able to control a spirited woman like Lalli if your life depended on it."

"Is that so?" Arnav slid the man in front of him a dangerously cool look.

"This is neither the place nor the time," Akash's cold voice broke into their conversation, "Arnav."

Arnav's gaze was locked on Nahar who stared back at him unperturbed by Arnav's ordinarily intimidating gaze. This village rat didn't know how to show respect did he?

"Arnav," Akash repeated from the doorway.

Arnav got to his feet, brushing off imaginary lines from his designer kurta and walked past Nahar. He didn't say a word and didn't spare the man another look. He decided he had nothing to prove to a village chum like Nahar. In a matter of seconds, the Benz slid out of the portico and zoomed off, leaving a cloud of dust in its wake after it crossed the haveli's outer gates.

Inside the haveli, Nahar shook his head. Now he was left with damage control. He knew Akash Rathore well enough. They had grown up right here in Chandigarh before the family had somehow hit it big and moved to Mumbai. He came back sometimes, without his family's knowledge and they had hung out as friends that they were. Was it not amazing that now, Akash wanted to marry Payal? He at least knew they had nothing to fear. Akash was his own man and would protect Payal with his very life if it came to that. Why oh why, did he not come to him first?! He bet that odd friend of his had advised him to come straight to the house and say what he wanted. These crazy Mumbai natives...thinking they could walk all over them because they were not rich and famous. Well if it wasn't for Akash, he would show that insolent man what humility meant.

Sighing, he called out, "Lalli, please come."

He waited patiently, knowing full well she heard him. A few seconds later, she opened her door and stepped out, giving him a defiant look. He couldn't help it. He burst out laughing at her stubborn expression. A woman as beautiful as Khushi didn't have any business frowning. It made her look like an obstinate child. It was his running joke that when he was old and gray, she would still look like she was forty. He wanted to scoop his pint-sized sweetheart up and sit her in his lap to pacify her.

"Aa jao," he beckoned her, as his laughter subsided.

"It's not funny Nahar. Just who do they think they are?" she asked, "Is that any way to conduct yourself even if your intentions were honorable?"

"Shant ho jao meri jaan," he said, tucking her under the crook of his arm and lifting her small chin with his free hand. Her arms involuntarily rounded his waist as she laid her head on his chest, listening to the rhythmic beat of his heart. "Chalo mere saath."

He didn't want to take her back toward the field as the workers had broken for lunch and were sitting around chatting and eating. It was amazing because half of the potato and carrot fields were almost done, thanks to technology. Rather he took her into the back garden which was separated from the fields by a wall, to her favorite spot- a swing her father had bought for her which still stood to this day. He sat her down on the swing and gently began to push her. This always relaxed her. Always...

For a long time, Nahar didn't say anything, allowing her to relax as the swaying of the swing eased her tension and lulled her senses.

"Forgive him Lalli," Nahar said after a while, "He didn't know how best to do what he wanted to do."

"I don't want him anywhere near Payal," she said firmly. "I'll cancel our performance tomorrow if I have to."

Nahar sighed. Khushi was in the pits of her obstinacy, "He's a good man Khushi."

"I don't care," she said stubbornly, "If he was so good, why didn't he come with his family? Everybody knows that's how it's done. But to come alone and just say..."

"What are you really opposed to Lalli?" he asked softly, "The fact that he is way out of our league or that you finally have to face the fact that it's time to let your sister go, regardless of who is taking her away?"

"What do you mean?" she said, stopping the swing's movement and turning around to look him in the eye.

"Lalli, it's time you start seriously thinking about their marriages. And regardless of what you think, without sentiment, Akash is a good match for Payal."

"And you know this because what, the Rathores are wealthy?" she was angry with Nahar for taking their side.

"I know this because he is his own man, and will protect Payal as a husband should. He is a good, solid man Lalli," Nahar said, taking her by the shoulder, "Look at me. I was not the best of men, but you were able to look past all that. He at least does not have that past. His record is good, I can vouch for him."

"I don't approve," she said stubbornly, "Payal would be swallowed up in his world."

"She is going into his world, regardless," Nahar argued, "Or have you changed your mind about her staying with Dia to get a job after school?"

Khushi looked at him accusingly and he hugged her to himself, chuckling at her stubbornness. "Okay Lalli, how about we do this? How about we ask him to come back in six months, after Payal has finished school and has found her own two feet? After all, Payal is the one to give the consent right?"

Khushi considered for a while. Six months was enough to test the seriousness of any man right? And if there was one thing she knew, these rich types forgot their holiday flings pretty quickly. That would have to do so that it didn't look like she was standing in her sister's way.

"Fine, six months. But if I don't like it..."

"You can say no again," he finished for her, laughing at her, "Pagli."

She kicked his shin, causing him to laugh harder. That was one down, and one more to go. If there was one thing he knew, Akash would never give up. He wanted Payal, and he would get Payal. And for his fiance's sake as well as his own, he was going to help him in every way he could.

HOPE IT WAS GOOD TOO!!!

Edited by Ezther - 7 years ago
Uzii thumbnail
Fabulous as always,nahar is such a good person he understands khusi fully n knows that its difficult to persuade her for akash alliance so he gave her six months to consider.
Uzii thumbnail
But i really want arnav n khusi together but how they will end up.
Ezther thumbnail

PART 8:

Akash concentrated on the road as he sped along. This was not how he had expected the meeting to go. Granted he had not expected them to exactly jump for joy with the incident he had witnessed between Payal and Khushi. But to be kicked out like that? How dare she? And Payal? He had expected her to at least be civil. Anger caused him to grip the staring wheel a little more tightly than he should. But to be fair, he hadn't warned her he was planning this. He had just barged in and expected the royal treatment. The rules down here were different, he had forgotten that. If he had gone to any house in Mumbai and made the same statement, the whole family would be falling all over themselves to please him. But these people had kicked him out! Was she insane or just plain asking for trouble, because he had no qualms forcing her hand. However, he would not want to spoil future interactions for the sake of his wife...future interactions? That sounded very clinical...almost like a business transaction. Wait a minute, he frowned at the road as his hands relaxed around the wheel...was that how he had come off? A calculating business man as opposed to one, seeking permission to marry a daughter of the house?

Finishing that thought as realization dawned, he burst out laughing, easing his foot off the gas pedal as he did.

Arnav gave his friend a long glance, "I'm glad you think it's funny."

"Relax my friend. This one is on us. We really didn't do it right," he conceded, "This was not a business deal and we treated it as such. We were asking her to hand over her cousin whom she practically raised, and she knows nothing about us. This is why women understand themselves better. Something tells me we should have brought Maya. Nahar being there was a stroke of luck."

Arnav didn't say anything at first. "Kicking us out was extreme."

"We're lucky she didn't go get her father's shot gun," Akash said, laughter overtaking him again as he remembered Nahar's pained expression when he had told him exactly what he told Khushi Kumari Gupta.

Arnav raised an imperial brow and Akash grinned at the expanse of road before them, "That I would have loved to see."

"I guess we just have to change tactics, if she is as stubborn as Nahar say she is."

"I looked in her eyes Akash, your friend was not lying. She has the strength of ten men, that woman," Arnav agreed, "But every strong man has an Achilles heel, and hers, is clearly her family."

"Isn't it always?" Akash said, "I'll just have to use the back door in."

Arnav again said nothing for a while, before asking in disbelief, "You're friends with that gawar?"

It was Akash's guwaff that filled the car as he turned the corner into the street that led to Rathore haveli. He knew Arnav was more than willing to teach Nahar a lesson for his insolence, but they would be gone before anything substantial could happen. Besides, Nahar was no push over, seeing as he had known him a long time. If you challenged him on this turf, chances were you would not win, physically or otherwise. The man might have calmed down due to this Khushi's influence, but he had a finger on everything that happened in their picturesque little town. Well then, he had to strategize for the next time he met the Gupta women.

Later that evening, they all lay in Khushi's room, laughing at the events that had unfolded earlier in the day. It was too much! Had it really happened?

"I keep expecting to hear Amitabh's voice narrating something, telling us it was all a huge joke!" Payal said, laughing hard.

"Baap re, I thought for sure you were going to throw something at Mr Raizada," Dia said.

"I would have too," Khushi said with a grimace, "Sitting there like some Laad Governor."

"But you have to admit it took some guts," Dia said.

"I think it was foolish," Khushi said, slicing into an apple and passing a piece to Dia, "His mother should have come first. But then again, that explains the look Lata-ji gave Payal when she gave us the extra money last night."

"She gave me a look?" Payal asked incredulously.

"Not that you'd notice," Khushi said, "But it was the kind of assessing look a mother gives a woman her son is interested in."

Payal and Dia exchanged a look, and Payal shrugged, "She can rest easy. It's not happening."

"Oh come on!" Dia said, sitting up on the bed and facing Payal, "You have to admit you were at least a little bit excited at the novelty of the whole situation."

Payal blushed, throwing a pillow at Dia, but admitted grudgingly, "It was a little filmy."

Khushi and Dia laughed. This whole day had had its share of highs and lows, but in the end, it made for a good laugh. The harvest had gone great and the vegetables were being cleaned and readied for distribution to different vendors. She was expecting quite a turn over from this and she would be able to put money away for the end of year festivities. It always helped to plan ahead she had found.

"So what did Nahar bhai say about all this?" Dia asked again.

Khushi sighed, "He wants us to give Mr Rathore six months to decide whether or not he is really interested in Gudiya."

"Whoa! Six months?!" Dia questioned, as Payal bit her lip, "Are you intentionally trying to discourage him?"

"Well..." Khushi began with a shrug.

"Payal, be honest," Dia turned to her, "If Akash had not pulled this daredevil stunt, and you had a little more time to get to know him, tell me the truth. Would you say yes?"

Caught off guard, Payal threw Khushi a worried look as if to gauge her reaction.

"You can answer," Khushi encouraged her, "It's what you want that matters in the end."

Payal let out a nervous breath. "It was exciting talking with him Didi. It was only one night, but based on that, I totally get why he thought to pull this stunt."

Khushi watched her sister's apprehensive face, and shrugged, "If he can pursue you six months from now, I won't be opposed to it. Besides, Nahar says he's a good man, so that has to count for something, hai ki nahin?"

"Bilkul!" Dia chirped up, wiggling her brows at a still blushing Payal.

The wedding day arrived, bright and sunny. No one could have planned it better if they had tried, from the look of all the morning preparations being done at Rathore haveli. Khushi had gone by to meet with Lata-ji who had requested to see her. Knowing what she knew now with the spectacle her son had created, it was with a bit of trepidation that she showed up to the haveli.

"Hello Khushi," Lata had greeted her warmly.

"Namaste," Khushi said politely, folding her hands.

"I hope you are well rested for tonight?" she said, indicating Khushi to sit in the morning room, "Tea?"

"No thank you," Khushi shook her head as she sat down cautiously, waiting for Lata to tell her why she was here.

"Oh nonsense," Lata said, and began to pour Khushi a cup anyway, passing her a plate of biscuits.

Khushi took the cup hesitantly, "Thank you Mrs. Rathore."

After a brief pause in which she observed how Khushi daintily drank from the cup, Lata spoke up, "I'm sure you're wondering why I called you here."

"It has crossed my mind," Khushi said, already having a sinking feeling.

"I was told that my son visited with you yesterday," Lata said, looking Khushi in the eye.

Khushi didn't blink. Rather she smiled, "Yes. Yes, the junior Rathore came by Gupta haveli to visit with his old friend. You might know him. Nahar Varma?"

Lata paused, fixing Khushi with a politely doubtful stare, "Really?"

"Yes," Khushi said, not batting an eyelid, "He was quite fascinated with a women-run haveli with rich farmlands."

"Interesting," was all Lata could say with a small smile, as she realized this girl did not scare easily. She was boldly fielding the reason she clearly knew she had been summoned. "Anything else?"

Khushi pretended to search her memory while shaking her head, "No, no. I don't think there was anything else. Well except that he came with his friend...a Mr. Raizada?"

"Mmm," was all Lata said, her mind working.

"Mrs Rathore, I thought I was invited here to ensure that the last of our dances were done justice as per your taste. I know how particular you are about it."

If the circumstances were different, Lata would have commended Khushi. She had quite the backbone to change the subject like that in front of her. What she wouldn't have given to have a competent person like her on staff.

"Miss Gupta?"

They both turned to see Akash standing in the door way, his gaze not so much surprised as it was curious.

"Good morning Mr Rathore," Khushi said, a huge smile adorning her face, "It's good to see you well rested."

Akash was a bit taken aback by her expression, but he didn't miss a beat, "Please call me Akash. After yesterday's debacle I don't think I deserve such formality. Interesting day yesterday, was it not?"

"It was," Khushi said, nodding slowly, knowing full well he was not talking about their dancing.

He noted her smile tighten a bit, though to anyone else it might seem like a pleasant one. He noted his mother watching their exchange with interest.

After a brief, awkward pause, she turned to Lata, "If it's okay with you Madam, I would like to take my leave."

"Of course Lata said, smiling as though she had not observed anything out of the ordinary. "I look forward to what you have prepared for us tonight."

Folding her hands and smiling at Lata, she turned to go. As she passed Akash in the doorway his voice stopped her in her tracks.

"I'll drop you home," Akash said, turning to follow her.

"What?" Lata was taken aback.

"It's okay I'll manage. I did come here all by myself."

"Nonsense, I insist," Akash said, picking up his car keys, "This way."

Leaving no room for argument, he turned and led the way outside, Khushi and Lata staring at his retreating back.

"I'd hurry if I were you," another voice reached them, "He doesn't like to wait."

Khushi turned to see Arnav Raizada with a steaming cup of coffee, seated in the outer room. Glaring murderously at him, Khushi strode out of the house. Arnav had no doubt the girl would club him over the head with something big and prickly if she could. He couldn't help but chuckle to himself. What he wouldn't give to be a fly on the wall inside of that car. Wonder what Akash had up his sleeve. It was not that he couldn't guess...but he wanted to see her reaction. For some odd reason she intrigued him...Khushi Kumari Gupta. He sipped his coffee thoughtfully.

Akash said nothing to her for half the journey to the house, preferring to concentrate on the road. She stubbornly kept quiet as well. She never asked for the ride. She was fine before he offered. What in the world did he hope to gain by doing this anyway?

"That's a really deep frown for such a pretty woman," Akash said softly.

She turned to see him watching her intermittently while he maneuvered the roads carefully past a herd of cows. She debated a sarcastic retort, but decided against it. "You should watch the road."

"I should, shouldn't I?" he asked, a hint of a smile softening his chiseled features.

She considered him with curious yet suspicious eyes, "Why are you doing this?" she asked point blank, "And no funny business."

Akash chuckled to himself, expecting no less from her, "It's as I said Khushi...may I call you, Khushi?"  At her nonchalant shrug he continued, "Listen. I made a horrible mistake yesterday. I wasn't thinking when I arrived at your house. It's a moot point to ask you to forget about it, but I would ask nonetheless that you let my excesses slide. I meant no insult to you and your family."

Khushi was mildly surprised, and then smiled at him, a complete and easy smile, "Wow. For a second there you almost had me going."

"Pardon me?"

"I might live in a village Mr Rathore..."

"Akash," he interrupted her, insisting she use the more familiar mode of address.

Khushi shrugged, "Akash then. I'm educated and I know reverse psychology when I see it."

Akash smiled, having the grace to color just a weensy bit, "You're right. I'm sorry."

"It's your fault your mother called me this morning you know?" she said with a more serious expression.

His expression mirrored hers, "I know. I apologize for that."

"No need," she waved him off, "But please set the record straight. There is nothing she needs to worry about as far as us Guptas are concerned. I do not want any trouble."

"There won't be any trouble, I promise you," he said as they started down the road that led to the haveli. "But on a more serious note Khushi. When I came here to see you about Payal yesterday, I meant every word."

He had pulled up to the portico of the haveli again, parked the car but left the engine running so he could leave the car air conditioned.

"I should have come the proper way, but I'm a man who's lived all his life on his terms and made no apologies for it. Now for the first time, I am reminded that wanting something doesn't mean I get it just by making demands."

She gave him an assessing look, and then sighed because she'd be lying if she said she didn't see his sincerity. That much she could tell from his expression, "Listen Akash, I do not doubt that you are sincere in your wanting Payal as your...wife," she hesitated on that word, "But look at it from where I stand. We have only known of you as of two days ago. You set eyes on her and all of a sudden you want to marry her? To be honest I'm only giving you time of day because of Nahar."

He smiled, "I should be grateful then. So," he turned to face her fully now, "What will it take to convince you I am not thinking of your sister as my Chandigarh play thing?"

She looked at him now, wanting to say something but the words died on her lips. How did you tell a man you didn't trust him enough to hang around your little sister, even if from all indications, he was a great catch?

"You want to know what to do?" she said, a mischievous smile adorning her beautiful face.

He looked at her warily, "Why do I think I will not like this?"

"Remains to be seen," she said, getting out of the car, "Come along."

Shutting off the engine, she started up the ten-step flight of stairs to the front door. Akash shut off the engine and followed her in, pausing when he looked up and spotted Payal watching him from where he assumed was her balcony. On being eye to eye, she turned and left. He smiled to himself, going up to a waiting Khushi.

"Masi, Nahar kahan hai?" she asked as they entered the cool interior of the house.

Masi gave him a measuring look before she answered, "Bahar se."

"Chalo mere saath," she said to Akash.

As they went out into the farm fields, she navigated the path ways with ease, greeting the workers as they went along, asking about their wives and children as she went. She actually knew all of them, he marveled, as they went along.

"Nahar!" she called, over the drone of the tractor, "Aare Nahar!Meri baad suno."

He turned around, and started to smile at her when he caught sight of a casually dressed Akash, standing with his glasses, a little uncomfortably in the fields.

"Akash? Aap yahan?" he asked, jumping down and enveloping Khushi in his customary bear hug, his eyes never leaving Akash.

"I came to drop her off. It appears my mother summoned her this morning on my account," Akash adjusted his glasses.

"Lalli, why bring him to the fields?" he asked, noting the mischief in her eyes as she tried to feign innocence.

"Aare kuch nahin, he just wanted to show that he could be as capable as any other man to take care of our Gudiya. So I decided he should spend some time on the farm, proving himself. Hai ki nahin?" Nahar threw his head back and laughed, while Khushi turned and winked at Akash, "All the best!"

So saying, she turned and sauntered off, humming Saajanji Ghar Aayi as she left, both men watching her retreat to the dais.

"What have I gotten myself into?" Akash asked.

"My friend, I dare say it will all be worth it when it's over. Not just for you, but for me as well. Come, I'll show you what to do, because she really means for you to harvest these crops."

"Well," Akash said, beginning to unbutton his shirt while an amused Nahar looked on, "Let's not waste any more time then."

He could see Khushi turn away in alarm when he took off his shirt to reveal his perfectly toned body. Winking when she turned around to see if he actually disrobed, he joined Nahar on the tractor and they were off.

"Besharam," Khushi shook her head, the smile that curved her lips inevitable as she watched them ride away.

HOPE YOU ENJOYED IT!!!!

Uzii thumbnail
Lovely lets see if akash passes the test n get approval from khusi.
Ezther thumbnail

PART 9:

FOUR MONTHS LATER...

It had been quite a while since the wedding that changed their lives...all of them. Khushi stared at the fields on which new shoots were appearing as she sat on the railing of her balcony, overlooking the fields. It was the pride of every Gupta. They were considered blessed to have led a successful planting and harvesting season. Everything was going perfect right now. Although she was the only one in Gupta haveli right now, well along with Masi and a few hired hands around, she found she had quite a bit to do. Her phone rang beside her. She picked it up, glancing at the screen. It had been Dia's gift to her. A sleek, new IPhone, as she was constantly frustrated that Khushi had an old, weathered phone she aptly referred to all the time as a stone.

She smiled when she saw the name, "Hello Gudiya, how are you?"

"I'm fine Didi, kaise hai aap?"

"Bilkul theek hoon. Aur aap?"

"Bahut tak gaye," she said, clearly stretching on her bed.

"Khana ka?" she asked.

"Nahin. Later," Payal said.

"But you need to keep your strength up," Khushi insisted.

Payal was quiet for a while, "Didi, how are you really?"

Khushi paused, mildly surprised, "I'm fine. What's going on Gudiya?"

"Kuch nahin...bas aise," Payal said.

"Don't lie to me Payal. What's the problem?"

Didi...woh...I don't know if I should be telling you this but...I think it's high time you heard something about it."

Khushi's pulse started racing, "What's going on? Did Akash do something to you?"

"No! No, not at all," Payal rushed to assure her.

Khushi let out a sigh of relief, though it was short-lived, "Toh...kya hua?"

"Didi... it's Dia."

"Dia? Kya hua Dia ko?" she asked, surprised, suddenly realizing that she hadn't heard from Dia in a few weeks.

"Didi, I think you should call her and find out for yourself."

"Gudiya, you tell me right this instant!" Khushi snapped, gripping the phone tightly, fearing the worst, "What is wrong with your sister?"

"Didi..." Payal hesitated, "I think Dia is...I think she's engaged."

Khushi looked at the phone she had in her hand, as if wondering what alien piece of machinery it was. She couldn't have heard right. Did Payal just say...

"Payal, kya kaha tumne?"

"Didi I'm so sorry but it's all over the news. I can't ignore this anymore. She won't take my calls to explain what's really going on so... I thought to call you."

"This has been going on for a while?!" she asked incredulously, "And you're just telling me?!"

"Didi I wanted to give her a chance to explain, but..." Payal broke off, "I tried asking Akash but he keeps asking me to stay out of it."

"He knew about it too?!" Khushi shouted, "What else are you all getting into while my back is turned?! Do I have to watch you all the time?! What else are you keeping from me?!"

"Didi, I'm so sorry but what can I do? You're the only one she listens to."

"Hai Bhagwan!" Khushi exclaimed, pacing her balcony, her mind racing in a million directions all at once, "How is this even possible? What is she thinking? Payal...think very carefully...are you sure of what you're saying?"

"Didi, it's all over the papers," Payal said with resigned certainty, "Dia is wearing a giant sized engagement ring and parading everywhere with Arnav Raizada."

Khushi went deathly still. No, not just still, she lost the ability to move...effectively shocked into silence. She couldn't make a sound. Even if she tried, she was sure none would come out. She stared at the open fields in front of her.

"Didi, are you there?" Payal asked worried.

Khushi's hand went limp and her hand dropped to her side. She could hear Payal asking her to say something but her mind and her heart were shattered, and she couldn't function right at that moment.

Arnav? Arnav Singh Raizada? But...how? How was that even possible, Khushi asked herself as her mind continued to reel in disbelief and shock.

Khushi sat on her feather-bed, deep in thought. How in the world could this have happened? With the way Payal and Akash were carrying on, she thought that the problems if any would arise from Payal. But Dia? When had this happened? It was true she suspected after the spectacle that Akash created, that Dia and Raizada knew each other. But to get engaged?! That too, three months after the whole shenanigan? What in the world had Dia gone and done? She had enough on her plate, and to do this too?! She looked down at her phone in her hand. Dia's gift to her. Now Dia was not taking her calls too.

She would have to go to Mumbai. No matter the cost, she would have to go. This could not happen. What was Dia thinking? That blasted man...well she wouldn't put it past him to pressure her to do something like this...likin Dia ne? Unless she wanted it too...unless she wanted to go ahead and disregard her family as though they were unimportant. Did that man have no family? Did they not insist on seeing the girl's side first? How could she not have known? Now she understood Dia's cryptic phone calls and guarded way of answering questions.

She would have to go to Mumbai. This was not done...Dia would have to come up with a stellar explanation for this mess she had created. So saying, she got up, went to her wardrobe and threw it open. Her meager clothings stared back at her. Grabbing the first thing she saw, she stuffed them into her travelling bag. She would leave in two days. Heavens, what would their parents' think? That she could not maintain discipline in the house? That she had not done a good enough job training her younger ones? What in the world was Dia thinking?!

"I called Didi," Payal stated, looking Akash in the eye, daring him to reprimand her.

"Hmm."

She looked at him, surprised. She definitely expected more than that, "What does that mean?"

He looked up at her, an assessing look in his eye, "It means, I suppose your sister and Arnav better plant their feet. She is not going to go easy on them."

"Well it's their fault. Carrying on like that without a care in the world. I tried to warn her but she wouldn't listen. I have done my best. The rest, she would have to explain herself."

Akash was quiet for a bit, staring at Payal. Her face was a subtle pink from the emotion she was feeling, a slight crease in her forehead as she stared hard at the waves.

"You're beautiful," he said softly.

Taken aback a bit, she turned surprised eyes on him. "Aap bhi na. This is serious."

"And we have done nothing wrong to spoil our evening because of them. I have only a few hours of your time every weekend and I won't have you waste it worrying about what your sister will do when she gets here."

Payal sighed, "I'm sorry," she took his hand in hers, loving the feel of it, "We are the ones she should be worrying about. Not Dia."

"It'll take care of itself," he said, cupping her cheek, "Come here."

He pulled her over to his side and hugged her close. They returned to watching the waves in companionable silence. It was one of their favorite spots. It was not too busy this time of the day, and he enjoyed going out incognito. No frills, no paparazzi, but he always had security. He took nothing for granted. Even now, they posed as ordinary people just hanging around. Whether or not Payal had noticed, she said nothing. He had wanted her watched over in school, not for anything, but he didn't want anyone messing with her. His mind reasoned however that she had been fine before he came along. Besides, she was well liked in the college. He had given generously for renovations to the hostels when she complained that there was rust in the water. She had been embarrassed but he had shrugged, saying he didn't want her sick. They were going to be wed in a few months so he was not taking any chances.

The look on her face in that instance was one he would never forget. Of course he knew by now she loved him. But it had begun that day. She finally let her guard down and opened up, no holds barred. It was inspiring to hear about her life in Chandigarh, how she had made up her mind to excel in all that she did because she had to lessen the burden on her beloved Didi. It was from her he found out there was a mortgage on the haveli. He had offered to pay it up but she had told him Khushi didn't know they knew about it, and how the dance performance had saved the haveli from foreclosure. It was no news to Payal when she had heard that the new bank manager had been fired. She simply hugged him, commenting that she would have to be careful what she told him.

He stroked her hair lovingly, imagining a few months from now. He had brought her home several times. His parents were not too thrilled, but they knew better than to argue. She however was not afraid of them. Maya on the other hand, had accepted her openly, loving to hear Payal's stories. They would stay up for hours when Payal spent the night. Another thing he hoped Khushi didn't find out, else he too would be in trouble.

"Gudiya?" he called softly.

"Yes?"

He smiled as he saw the color stain her cheeks. He knew it was because he used the same term of endearment Khushi used. She somehow always felt the need to touch him whenever he used that term, as she did now, taking his much larger hands in her smaller ones and examining them as if she would discover something new.

"What's the plan after your exams? Are you going back to Chandigarh?"

She paused, obviously thinking, "Well...the plan was to stay here and get a job. I wanted to make sure I could help Khushi Didi with paying off the mortgage. But with this thing that's happening with Dia..."

He was quiet for a while. "Stay."

She extricated herself and turned back to him, "I don't know that that's a good idea."

"Whatever happens after now, shouldn't affect you my love," he said softly, "Dia made her bed, she'll deal with your sister. But whatever the outcome, don't feel obligated to go back to Chandigarh. If you must go, let it be because you want to. Not because you feel the need to be a safety net to Khushi."

"Is there a difference? I'll want to because she'll be so hurt. I'll need to because she wants to make sure it won't happen with me."

"Sweetheart, you are an adult at the end of the day. You owe her, but it will do you no good to put your life on hold. Trust me on this one."

She looked doubtful and very torn. He sighed. He respected Khushi as his sister in-law to be, but at some point the strings had to be fully cut. Almost everything she did was centered round what Khushi would do or say. What happened when she had to pay allegiance to him alone? It was good they cut the strings now.

"Think about it?" he asked.

A grateful smile curved her lips and she nodded, nestling back into the crook of his arm. She rested in the fact that he would never force her to do anything. He always suggested and waited for her to make the decision herself. Very rarely did he ask her to do or not do anything with certainty. She loved being courted by him. She knew it was a clear indication of what marriage would be. She dared to dream...

Khushi arrived the train station in the evening of Friday. She got off and looked around her. It was disconcerting to see so many people in one place at a time. She had been mobile for a day and a half now. She was tired and she just wanted to have a hot bath and get some sleep. What she wouldn't give for her bed back home, but she was on a mission right now. She turned and walked toward the exit of the station, jostling with people for space to move around. Thankfully she had only her bag and it made it easy to maneuver through the maze of people. As soon as she stepped out into the open, she stood still for a few seconds, breathing in the familiar air of the town she had said goodbye to a few years ago. She smiled a little as waves of nostalgia washed over her.

She was about to turn and go when she spotted a gleaming black car sitting patiently across the road. She frowned, something telling her she knew exactly who sat behind the wheels of the car. As if reading her thoughts, she watched as the driver's door opened, and the object of her rage stepped out, cool as a cucumber in a pair of blue jeans and a sherwani top she could tell even from that distance, smelled of money. She knew for some odd reason his eyes hidden by the shades he wore, were laughing at her.

She pretended she didn't see, turned around and walked to where the rickshaws were lined up. She began to bargain with the driver of one of the vehicles when the air around her changed. The distinctly male cologne that filled her nostrils announced him even before he spoke.

"Khushi."

She didn't turn around, but continued her negotiation with the driver. Her stiff back made a point that she would not entertain him in any way.

"Khushi, can you please get in the car?" he said again, "You have had a long journey down here."

Still she said nothing, totally ignoring him. If she opened her mouth, she would rain curses on him so she decided to be silent. When there was no more sound from behind, she turned around to look over her shoulder and realized her had indeed left. She bent to pick her bag and suddenly realized it was gone. Panic enveloped her as she turned around, frantically searching the ground and the crowd to see if she could spot who had stolen the bag. She was about to run back into the station to report the stolen bag when a hand reached out and grabbed her.

"Hey!" she shouted, trying to free herself. It was no use.

"You will come with me Khushi. Neither one of us came all this way for nothing," he hissed silently, gently but firmly taking her in the direction of the car.

"Take your filthy hands off me!" she pulled forcefully at her hand, but his grip only tightened around it.

"You'll hurt yourself doing that," he said softly, but without so much as looking at her.

On getting to the car, she saw her bag nestled in the back seat. Anger boiled inside her, "What the hell is wrong with you?! Who gave you the right to take my bag without my consent?!"

"Leaving it on the ground is how you give to charity around here, or did you not know that?" he said, as though scolding a small child.

"You have some nerve," Khushi hissed, finally tugging her arm out of his grip as he released it enough to open the door for her.

"Will you please get in? I'd really hate to make a spectacle in front of all these curious people."

"To think you actually care what people think," she fumed.

He said nothing and just held open the door for her. Of course they were garnering quite an audience. Seeing he wouldn't budge, and there was absolutely no way to get her bag out, she bit her tongue, glared at him, but entered into the car. He didn't bang the door as she expected. Rather it was a gentlemanly click. It drowned out the sounds from the outside effectively. She remained tightlipped as he got into the car beside her. He gave her a long glance as he put his seatbelt in securely. She refused to even acknowledge him, staring ahead resolutely and clasping her palms in her lap. She hadn't asked him to come, and her hotel room was already booked.

"I'm staying at Mahadev Inn on Marathi Drive."

Arnav who was in the process of starting the car, stopped and stared at her. "You booked a hotel on Marathi Drive?"

She didn't say a word and just looked out of the window. He kept staring at her. No doubt she looked a hot mess- travel weary, messy hair and rumpled clothes- but she was not about to care. He wasn't supposed to be here anyway. She was going to kill Payal...then she would kill Akash, because she was sure it was one or both of them that was responsible for this.

"When was the last time you were in Mumbai?" he asked again.

No answer. She was just so angry right now and it took all of her willpower not to show it on the outside.

Shrugging to himself, he started the car and pulled out of the parking space and the car proceeded soundlessly away from the station. Khushi was grateful for the cool interior of the car, as it was scorching hot outside. As the numerous cars and buildings went by, her eyes began to droop. She fatigue and restlessness of the last forty-eight hours finally catching up with her. In no time, she was fast asleep as the gentle motion of the powerful machine lulled her to sleep.

Opposite her, Arnav cast surreptitious glances at her profile. Even in her disheveled state from travelling almost twenty-three hours, she still managed to look like a classic beauty. She had bed hair, he thought to himself, amused at what that would imply in today's media. He knew she was very, very angry with her sister, more so him. He was intrigued to see how this would play out. She looked like she was out for blood. Dia was literally shaking when he had informed her that her sister was on her way to Mumbai. It was interesting to see.

Giving one last glance to her sleeping profile, he focused on the road ahead, headed in the direction of Raizada Mansion.

HO GAYA!!!!!! AND I WANT TO SAY A BIG THANK YOU TO MY READERS, ESPECIALLY UZII WHO TAKES THE TIME TO LEAVE A COMMENT. TO ALL WHO HIT THE LIKE BUTTON, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!😳

kizh72 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
This is a really interesting story, I look forward to see it unfold
P.S.: I think the last part should be 10 & not 7😊
Uzii thumbnail
Interesting so payal n akash relation progressed but why dia n arnav got engaged so suddenly is she pragnant or there is something else that is in arnav's mind as he is surly not in love with dia.
Ezther thumbnail

PART ...:

Arnav brought the car to a halt in front of Raizada Mansion. He shut off the engine soundlessly and turned to look at a still sleeping Khushi. She managed to position herself in such a way that she was turned away from him, but he loved to look at her profile. She was indeed a beauty. The tiredness etched in every line of her face did not take away from her at all. He knew she would come, once the news of their alleged engagement got to her. She wouldn't take it lightly the way it played out. Well, he hoped Dia was ready for the storm he knew Khushi would create after having to come all the way down here to speak to her.

He would have continued to stare at her serene expression had he not caught a movement to the left, where the stairs leading up to the house were. He turned and saw his sister standing with a questioning look in her eyes. He gave her a small smile and then turned back to Khushi, who was stirring in her sleep.

"Khushi, we're here," he said softly.

Her eyes flew open at the sound of his voice and she straightened in her seat, disoriented for a few seconds. Then she registered she was still in the car with Arnav. She looked around and was more than a little surprised.

"Where are we?" she asked with a frown in his direction.

"We're at our home," he said softly.

"Our home where?" she asked, her brow raised as her ire began to rise again.

"My home, Khushi. You did come to see Dia didn't you?" he asked.

"You were supposed to take me to my hotel," she said stubbornly, refusing to budge when he tried to exit the car.

"I thought it best to bring you here," he said, "That area does not befit you."

"Did I ask your opinion?"

He turned to see his sister still giving him weird looks, wondering who the lady was, and why they were still in the car.

"Look, Dia stays here with me. Wouldn't it be better to speak with her here than at that motel you so insist is a hotel?"

"You have gone and lost your mind!"

"Be that as it may, you're staying her for the duration of your trip."

So saying, he exited the car to his sister's greeting, and her usual questions of who the woman in the car was. Khushi stayed in the car, counting backwards from ten. If she didn't, she would kill this man. She was almost done when he tapped on her window.

"Are you coming out?" he asked, laughter in his eyes.

She took a deep calming breath and he pulled open the door, as if reading her movements perfectly. She stepped out and smoothed her dress as far as it would go, running her hand over her hair to try and tame the fly away strands. She allowed him carry her bag, understanding by now that you didn't make this man do anything he didn't want to, unless you had the upper hand. She was guessing that was a rare occurrence for him though. He smelled of wealth and power, his aura was one of dominance. Too bad it was lost on her.

They proceeded to where Anjali stood, waiting for them. Anjali openly sized her up, not hiding the fact that she didn't approve of Khushi at all. Noticing this, he watched in fascination as Khushi returned his sister's appraising look, starting from his sister's feet upward. On being eye to eye, Khushi gave a very plastic smile and did a Namaste sign.

"Hello," she said softly.

"Khushi, this is my older sister Anjali Jha," Arnav did introductions.

"Welcome," Anjali said, turning up her nose.

"Thank you," Khushi said, ignoring her and turning to Arnav, "Where is Dia? I would like to get this over with as quickly as possible."

"You're her sister?" Anjali asked incredulously, looking from Arnav to Khushi for confirmation.

"If by her you mean Dia Gupta, yes. I am her sister," Khushi replied, looking Anjali dead in the eye.

Anjali was taken aback by her audacity and looked crossly at Arnav who seemed to be enjoying himself, watching their exchange. Khushi's question brought him back to earth.

"Where is Dia?" she asked.

"How about we all go inside first and..."

"Where. Is. She?" Khushi repeated one word after the other as if she was talking to a daft person.

Arnav stopped, his voice losing its cool, "Are you determined to fight every second of your being here?"

"I didn't come to see you Mr Raizada, neither did I come to stay at your house. I came to speak with one person and one person only. So if you do not mind..."

"Arnav beta, yeh kya hora hai?"

The elderly voice from the door cut her off as everyone turned to see the elderly woman standing in the doorway. He took Khushi's bag and climbed up to meet her, taking her blessing as he did.

"Baad kya hai beta?" she asked again.

"Dia ka behen," he said, indicating Khushi.

Khushi hesitated a moment when the woman's gaze fell on her, but she climbed past Anjali, went to where Dadi stood and did a very respectful Namaste. Dadi fixed her with a piercing gaze, and after what seemed like infinity, smiled at her.

"Khush ra ho beti," she said, "Come, it appears my grandson has lost his manners. He should have invited you in. You look very tired."

"Nahin Dadi, mein..."

"Haan haan, chalo mere saath," Dadi said, guiding Khushi into the house.

Khushi turned very cross eyes on Arnav before following Dadi into the house, cursing Arnav who was smiling once again.

"Arnav, where did you plan to put her?" Dadi asked him.

"Hari prepared the guest room on the ground floor for her," he informed.

"Good then. Take the bag there," Dadi ordered in her refined voice, "Beti, how about you go and take a shower and freshen up. We'll serve lunch in a few minutes okay?"

Khushi looked about to protest, but at the kind smile on Dadi's face, she changed her mind, "Theek hai Dadi ma. Mein...abhi aayi."

So saying, she followed Arnav to the room where he had placed her bag on the bed. The room was tastefully done up in hotel chic style. She recognized it from the brochures she was poring over every so often to figure out how to make the haveli into a profit making venture. He was about to leave again when she blocked his path. His raised brow asked her what the problem was but she remained silent, knowing full well he knew what she was asking.

He sighed, "Dia is in Goa for a few days for work. She will be back soon enough."

"Then why did you bring me here?" she hissed. "What in the world am I to do here for a few days?"

He seemed to think on that a bit then said, "Get to know the family. They are sure curious about you."

That stomped her. While she was processing that, he side-stepped and headed out the door. Khushi was left wondering how many different ways this man had lost his marbles. She was sure Dia didn't have any work. She had run away knowing that she would have to answer a lot of questions from her. What did she think? That a few days would be enough to calm the fire that raged inside her? They would just have to see about that. So saying, she decided to explore the room further. It had a walk in closet, a superbly modern bathroom with a Jacuzzi in the middle. She smiled in spite of herself as she touched the porcelain structure. The room had a balcony attached to it that opened up to the garden.

It was indeed a lovely room, done up in gold and shades of brown. She didn't have time for a Jacuzzi bath right now so she quickly stripped down and stepped into the shower. The spray of the jet shower head hitting her travel weary skin was true bliss. She quickly washed her hair, scrubbed the grime off her skin and stepped out of the shower, a pink hue covering her skin. The toweling robe was fluffy and swallowed up her petite frame. A person could get used to this, she thought, toweling her hair more vigorously. Bringing out her ornate comb, she began the process of detangling her long tresses. When she was done, she decided to lie down for a minutes to stretch her bones. Just a few minutes...

"What is she doing here?" Anjali asked.

"Isn't it obvious?" Dadi answered, "She's come to talk to her sister."

"Where was she all this while? Did she not know what her sister was up to?" Anjali asked again, glancing at the door into which Khushi had disappeared. "To suddenly appear like this out of the blue? Trust me she came to size up our wealth."

"It's your brother that's wealthy bahu, not you. And you better mend fences with your husband. A man should not be happy to escape from his home every chance he gets."

"Oh leave him alone Ma-ji," Anjali waved off her mother in-law whom she treated more like a mother in spite of her being her husband, Shyam's mother. "He'll cool off soon enough."

Dadi shook her head. Her daughter in-law was losing her marriage and she didn't even see it. How did women these days think? She supposed it was because she was the only elder in the house and though she was very rarely defied, you could only order an adult around so much.

"Anyway, make sure that Hari is almost done with lunch. The poor girl looks like she could eat a horse!"

Arnav who was walking down the stairs caught the last statement and chuckled to himself, "She better not hear you say that. She is as proud as they come."

"I know," Dadi said, beckoning him to come sit by her, "So she's the one that kicked you and Akash out?"

"Yes. Didn't even blink," he said.

"She's a strong woman," Dadi said, glancing at her door.

"I agree," Arnav said, smiling at some thought he just had.

Dadi watched him silently. This boy was a fool, she thought to herself, did he even know he had become different ever since Akash told him Khushi was coming to Mumbai to speak with her sister? He seemed restless and that smile on his face...heavens did she really have to spell it out? He was fond of the younger one, Dia. In love? No. But what could she do? Even in this she would not interfere with his decision. That didn't mean she couldn't meddle. Dia had run away once she heard her cousin was on her way. No doubt that Goa job was cooked up but well, it would give her time to study this girl Khushi. She already admired her for standing up to Anjali and unnerving the older woman.

"Go and see if she is ready to eat. It has been a while since she went in."

Arnav pushed himself to his feet and headed to her door. He rapped on the door and waited. No answer. He knocked again, a little more loudly. Still no answer. Ever so cautiously, he turned the knob of the oak door and gently pushed it open.

"Khushi?" he called softly, before entering the room. The sight before him stopped him in his tracks.

Khushi lay facing the garden doors, the white fluffy towel enveloping her petite frame. However, it seemed she slept like a ninja because the robe had fallen away from her legs, leaving large expanses of golden brown skin for his eyes to feast on. And feast they did, as he approached the bed to look down at her sleeping form. Her hair...she had washed her hair, he thought, by the stringy wet look of it. She must really be tired, he thought. She stirred in her sleep and he froze in place. If she opened her eyes he was a dead man. She however returned to her deep, deep sleep, none the wiser.

Exhaling in relief, he slowly backed toward the door, and exited as noiselessly as he could, quietly shutting the door after him. He turned around and found Dadi looking at him oddly.

He cleared his throat, his hand subconsciously going to his collar to loosen an imaginary tie, "She fell asleep again. Must be very tired."

Dadi shook her head, "If you knew she was coming you could have made better travel arrangements for her. How could you allow her travel by road and train?"

"Dadi, you need to get to know her. She won't take help from anyone."

Dadi shook her head again, "Well then, I suppose we'll have lunch and save her some, poor dear. And when is her sister returning?"

Arnav sighed, "If you ask me, I think she'll return when her sister leaves."

"Coward," Dadi said under her breath, but loud enough for Arnav to hear.

It was not that she minded Arnav getting close to Dia...it seemed he was under no illusions of great love on her part. But judging from the fact that he had once pronounced he would never get married, it was a welcome change that he was indeed, marrying someone. However, she didn't think Dia would be right for him in the long run. She was respectful and did help out around the house...but there was just something not right with her. She wasn't quite sure what it was...but there was something.

She glanced again at Khushi's closed door. Well then, get to know her she would. If there was something she was, it was definitely an excellent judge of character.

"Are you sure you want to see her?" Akash asked.

"It's not me she's after," Payal assured a doubtful looking Arnav who asked her for the umpteenth time if she wanted to enter Raizada Mansion.

"I'll be just a phone call away," he said, leaning in and giving her a forehead kiss.

Payal got out of the car and was about to walk up the stairs when Arnav breezed out of the house and was momentarily surprised to see her.

"Payal?" he questioned gently.

She looked at him warily, "Akash tells me Didi is here."

He sighed, thinking this was the second Gupta female who wanted his head on a pike, "She's asleep. Third room on your left, ground floor."

Without another word, she walked past him into the much cooler exterior of the sprawling mansion. He turned to see a smiling Akash exit the posh BMW he had given him only a few months ago as a birthday present.

"I think I better sleep with one eye open," he said to Akash.

"She's that angry?"

"Livid," Arnav replied, shaking his head as he leaned against the car, "But then again, it is Khushi Kumari Gupta we're talking about."

"Yes it is," Akash chuckled, "Speaking of which, where is she?"

"Bone tired, she fell asleep as soon as she hit the bed."

"You really should have made alternative arrangements for her travel."

"You talk as if you don't know her," he gave his friend an all-knowing look.

"True."

"Well, you're coming in."

"What?"

"You're not going to leave me here with both of them. No way," Arnav insisted, "You're staying for dinner."

"I don't believe this," Akash laughed, "Arnav Singh Raizada, scared of Khushi Gupta."

"Like hell," Arnav said, mounting the stairs as a third car pulled into the driveway. He waited for the familiar figure to alight, "Bhai."

"Hello Arnav, Akash," Shyam Jha acknowledged Arnav and Akash.

"How was your trip?" Akash asked as they all proceeded toward the entrance.

"Hectic, but when isn't it ever?" he laughed to himself, "How's everyone?"

"Doing great, and just to give you a heads up, we have guests. Dia's sisters are here."

"Payal is here?" Shyam asked, genuine pleasure on his face.

Akash colored a little self-consciously, "I brought her to see her sister."

"Well good then. We can meet the whole family," he said, handing his suitcase over to Hari.

"You'll meet them when they're done chitchatting. Neither one of them is particularly pleased to be here," Arnav said.

"Would it have anything to do with your media engagement we are not quite sure is real?" Shyam asked, laughter in his voice.

"Thhe media will do anything for ratings Bhai, you know that," Arnav said, a serious look on his face.

"Granted, but you must have done something for her to come all the way here," Shyam said, "Chalo, mazza aaya."

Arnav rolled his eyes. His brother in-law whom he regarded more as an elder brother didn't miss an opportunity to rattle his cage. Well he would not be made a laughing stock. It irked him to realize he actually cared what this woman thought about him. Just as he completed that thought, Khushi's door opened and she exited with Payal following close behind her. In spite of himself, he swallowed. Akash gave him an odd look, but he barely noticed. If Khushi looked appealing in travel weary avatar, she looked good enough to eat well rested. However, the gaze she fixed him with had him retracting his thoughts into defense mode.

DONE!!! J