Fan Fictions

ARSHI FF: COLOUR ME IN LOVE : PART 50 11/10/19 PG.82

Ezther thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 7 years ago

Hey guys!! 'I haven't been on the forum in a while and though I am a regular writer, I wanted to get my creative juices flowing again so I started this FF again and am determined to actually finish it this time. Here's to hoping someone will read it again...So happy reading and I hope you follow me on this journey!👍🏼

It was already half past eight and the storm was raging outside of the office building, torrents of rain lashing angrily at the window panes. He stood watching the same, his mind mentally checking off a list of things he had accomplished and things he still needed to do. Lord, would there ever be reprieve from all the hustle and bustle of this life? He was all of thirty two years of age and yet he had seen and unseen'life just didn't surprise him anymore. Really what was there to see under the sun that had not already played out before him? He was rich'filthily so, so it was expected that he would experience quite an array of things that the middle class man would never experience or least expect.

The fax machine to his right whizzed and began to whir as it received the fax that he had stayed these last two hours to receive from his right hand man whom he had sent to Thailand to look up a piece of prime property they were hoping to purchase at the soonest. Briskly he walked to the machine and snatched up the paper. His eyes quickly scanned the document and as soon as it arrived at the bottom line where the necessary signatures were supposed to be, he sighed and rubbed his eyes tiredly. Finally the deal had gone through. He was very glad that he would not have to travel there himself. He would have skinned his long time friend and trusted employee alive for making him travel there so soon after he had returned from South Africa where he had gone to assess the damage done to his Crown Jewel Hotel and Spa by a freak fire that had luckily not claimed any lives, but gutted the entire right wing of the hotel's twenty-fifth to thirtieth floors.

Now at least he could go home and rest his tired back. Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown, he thought to himself. How apt that was'at the head of one of the most influential companies in all of India, it was a feat to make it home as early as he did. He had had walls knocked down in the office to create a living area so that he could fit in a little living room and a bedroom behind a secret wall in his office. He contemplated staying over in the office, knowing full well there will also be a multitude of people wanting to get home as well. Darn it, he was so tired. Today had been an especially long day. Not a single moment of respite from the needs and demands of running a conglomerate.

In the midst of his ruminations however he stopped, and after a moment's thought, let a small mile play on his lips. Either way, better this life than the life they had led only fourteen years ago. Almost as soon as the smile had showed up it vanished. He did not begrudge his position today and he made no apologies for it. He was on top of the world right now and nothing..no one except the unexpected visitor called death, could get to him'even that wouldn't be without one hell of a fight! He had worked his fingers to the bones'been called a street rat and an urchin, a thief and an opportunist, to get to where he was today. He had been ridiculed by the same people who now revered him today. But it had been a slow and steady climb. Anyway considering people like Bill Gates who made their billions instantly, his had been somewhat of the opposite.

He had known tragedy and pain very early in life, losing first his mother to a cancer they had no money to treat. It had been a terrible time when they had gotten news of the diagnosis. His mother's simple cough turned out to be cancer of the lungs. They had fought'they had fought hard to keep her with them. But the cancer was in its late stages. The only good luck they had had was that before her death, his elder sister had been married off to a man who was well to do. The man had done his best to help out but in the end, his mother had had to beg them to stop and let her go. Then there was his father. His father had lost his soul mate. The very first person he woke up to see every morning and went to bed beside. It was like he had lost the will to live'to go on in life even for the sake of his children. He had refused to share his feelings'he said some things were best left unsaid. It was deeply sad to watch the man wither away right before their eyes because he had lost his love'his heartbeat'his smile. Nothing could console him. He would put on a brave face so as not to worry them'however they watched him slip farther and farther away from them for two years. Providence had begun to smile on them when they had woken up one morning to find their father's cold, dead body. His sister had been inconsolable for months.

After his father's ashes had been scattered, the relatives that were ever present to beg for assistance from his father disappeared and never looked back to even ask how they would fare. Their conclusion, he was a man and could take care of himself. After all, his sister was now some other man's responsibility. Realizing they were all alone in this world, he made a vow to leave this life of poverty at the age of 20. His sister and brother in-law had taken him in...they wouldn't hear nothing of his need to be alone and not bother newly-weds. In the end, he was grateful that he didn't have to bother about feeding and housing so he could focus and finish his last semester in school and get a job to help out. As though the burden of losing their parents wasn't enough, for some odd reason, his brother in-law got fired from work when papers that were key to a particular purchase the firm was trying to undertake had gone missing. The gloom that had settled over the house was more than he could bear. They were almost reduced to the streets and he had felt like the reason for their bad luck. He had resorted to doing menial jobs as a means of supplementing what little was left of the income at home. His sister washed the neighbors' clothes and baby-sat their children to make extra money as her husband had fallen into some kind of depression, wondering where he would start from to rebuild his career after being thrown out so unceremoniously.

All of this just served to drive him harder. He went to school, studied all day in the library and came home in the afternoons to go do menial work for construction workers who were building a bridge nearby the house. It was almost six months after the job loss that he graduated top of his class in International Business Management and had immediately been absorbed into Aztek Oil, a multinational Oil and Gas firm. His starting salary had been mouthwatering and he had simply gone for the highest bidder, wanting financial independence more than anything. First thing he did after getting his first salary was to move them into the city and into a three bedroom apartment in a high rise building which also happened to be close to work. Once again they began to experience the comfort of good living.

While he was with the company as a junior staff, when he sat in on meetings with his bosses, he always heard them talking about shares, shares and more shares. Being a very astute mind, he began to research on the tidbits he was hearing and sooner than later, he was buying up shares like crazy. Half of his salary every month went into buying up shares and shares and shares. Every company he could find in which the shares were worth the money, he would immediately buy up shares. Inside of two years he had become a major share holder in some of the top companies in the country. His day came when his shares were the pivoting vote in an ownership battle between two brothers whose father had left them a hotel chain. Both of them had been buying up shares of other owners in a fight to the finish. They had approached him to buy his fifteen percent of their company back, each having valid reasons for wanting to purchase his shares. He had stalled while they kept upping their offers. In the end, he had sold to the younger brother for a whooping twenty five million.

One would think he would quit his job and go gallivanting round the world, finally having the money to do as he pleased. He kept the knowledge of the money to himself and started researching hotel chains'.he quickly discovered there was a lot he could do in that area and went to the accountant at Aztek to seek financial advice on how best to tackle purchasing a small hotel chain and probably flipping it for a profit. The came up with a water-tight gamble of a plan and went ahead to purchase the first chain. It was at this point that he had to tell his sister what he had been up to. With their blessing he had quit his job after three years with the firm. The passion and drive to succeed made him a shark in the business. He would and could never go back to being poor and asking anything of anyone.

He had struck out on his own and in the end, the first employee he had was the very accountant from Aztek who had believed enough in his drive and passion to succeed. It had been them against the world and this is not to say that there weren't multiple challenges but when you are determined, there is not much that can stand in the way of your success. It was impossible to slow down after that. They continued to grow their hotel chains and soon diversified and entered the Cruise ship business, preferring to sail smaller vessels with not too many people'at least not exceeding three thousand persons. They specialized in less travelled routes and this was quite a hit, with people who didn't have all the money for an exotic getaway to expensive destinations to diversify their travel plans. Construction was the next thing he set his sights on and currently he had at least six construction companies to his name.

Yes'with at least twenty companies to his name, he had less and less time to waste thinking futile thoughts about the past. The past would never repeat itself. He had made extremely sure of that. The ringing of his phone called his attention. He turned to see it vibrating on his mahogany table. Walking slowly, carrying his large frame, he picked up the blinking IPhone and saw it was his sister calling. Sighing as he knew exactly what was coming, he picked it up.

"Hello?"

"What hello?" she snapped, "Where in the world are you? You were supposed to be home three hours ago."

"I know this Di but what can I do? The deal in Thailand almost went south and if I hadn't stepped in, we would have lost our window of opportunity."

"Is business all you think about? You have a family you know? And you don't want your cousins to ask who you are when you come home one day."

His sister was on the dramatic side and it grated on his nerves sometimes'she was pretty different from how he remembered her all those years ago. What had happened to her, he would rent never be able to tell. Now she worried about kitty parties and those airhead friends of hers who were always trying to match-make him with their daughters or friends or sisters. It was more than a little annoying but he had to indulge his sister sometimes for the sake of peace. He had his share of women but he found he couldn't take a woman out on a date without her seeing wedding bells and it had made him weary of the lot. Of course he scratched his itch once in a while but in all his thirty-two years, he had only ever had two steady relationships. Once, when he had been in school and again when he was 28 and sure he would marry her but she had died after a drunken driver had rammed into her parked car at a red light a few kilometers from his home. He had lost faith in the institution of love and happiness. Ironically it wasn't because of the wickedness of men, but from the pain of loss. His parents couldn't survive being in love, his own love was cruelly taken from him in pretty much the same way his parents had'and looking at his sister and her husband, they were living but not really living. He was surprised his brother-in-law was not having affairs all over the place with how little attention his wife paid him. It was times like this that he cursed their wealth.

Anyway, he sighed tiredly and continued their conversation, "Kuch kas ta?" he asked softly.

"Does seeing my baby brother require a special occasion?" she said, a little offended.

"It's alright Di. I'll try to make it home tonight but if the traffic is too heavy I'll have to stay over and come home tomorrow."

She sighed herself now and he knew that for all her faults, his sister loved him dearly and worried about him even more than his brother-in-law, he dared say. Sometimes he was wondered if her care of him was because he was the source of the family's wealth. He had overheard her severally comparing her husband to him. Well what was he to do? He couldn't interfere and make it worse for his brother in-law now could he? The embarrassment would be unbearable. Picking up the phone again, he dialed reception and waited as the security guard at the entrance picked the phone gingerly with a crisp greeting.

"Good evening Sir," he said smoothly, "How may I help you?"

"What's traffic like Rahul?"

"I'm afraid it's still going strong Sir. The road ways seem to be grid locked as the water levels are high."

"Thank you. That will be all."

He replaced the receiver and shrugged. It would be another night in the office. Usually he would crave the warmth of his own space at home but tonight, after that episode with his sister, he would rather stay the night. Less drama to deal with he reckoned. Darn it, he thought as he punched the security code that opened the door to his secret room on his telephone. The book case lining the far left side of his office wall slid aside to reveal another door he pushed open to enter his exquisitely furnished office apartment. He headed straight for the bedroom. He turned on the jet Jacuzzi and started to disrobe. He needed to soak his tired bones but first, he needed to get rid of his two day old stubble.

Fifteen minutes later he lowered his body into the steaming hot water, grateful as it seeped into his bones, soothing away the fatigue and the aches of the day. It was in moments like this as he rested his head on the soft cushion that he let himself open up to those things he locked away when he faced the brutal world. It was in moments like this that he let his guard down'let himself think those thoughts that to him were forbidden. As he closed his eyes to let the water and the aromatic calming fragrance of the water fully lull his senses into a state of peace, he found himself thinking in the far recesses of his mind'.is this all there was to life? Was there nothing more?...there had to be 'there just had to'.

Edited by Ezther - 5 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Ezther thumbnail

PART 2: INTRODUCTIONS

Chandigarh was buzzing with life. Activities had been ongoing for almost a week as it seemed the party had come to town. The hall of Rathore haveli was packed and packed full! It was a happy occasion and well, it was not every day that the first son of the Rathore clan married his heart throb from college. It was a spectacle of the who's who of the proverbial high class society people. Who would have thought that they would decide to come back to Chandigarh to celebrate the wedding in their ancestral home as opposed to doing it in Mumbai where most of the family lived? This wedding had become a blessing for most of the villagers who suddenly found themselves playing host to one of the wealthiest families to come from Chandigarh. Villagers sold food in massive quantities, hotels and the little guest inns were full to overflowing, all kinds of fairs were going on to entertain the guests when there were no functions going on in the haveli. The joy of celebration was definitely in the air.

Today was the official engagement ceremony and people kept streaming in as waiters ran to and fro from the kitchen, taking glasses of exquisite champagne and hors d'erves round the room with finicky guests who wanted no this and no that on their food. Either way, the mood was pure joy and pure satisfaction as the bride and groom's parents mingles and shared laughs and teased each other happily.

Behind a curtain on the left side of the hall, a young woman paced uneasily, fidgeting with her flowing skirt. "Where has this crazy girl gotten to? The dance is about to start and just when you need her, she up and disappears!"

She bit her lip, muttering under her breath about the different ways she was going to kill her little cousin when she showed up. They had less than ten minutes before the dance of a century! It was the wedding dance to beat all wedding dances, and that intelligent but annoyingly daft girl decided to walk off with their compilation disc in her portable CD player!! What in the hell was wrong with her?!

"Have you seen her Didi?" another member of the troop asked as she walked to and from behind the curtain they were to emerge from.

"Somebody better find her before I do...or else..."

"Hello Didi!" the very object of her anger came in and hugged her real tight, "Did you really think I would wonder off without letting you...ouch!"

Her elder sister grabbed her by the ear and pulled hard, "The next time you decide to give me a heart attack, make sure I'm really dying!"

"Aaow...aoooww...aaooowww," she winced in pain as her sister hissed in her ear, "I'm sorry na? I'm here now aren't I?"

"I haven't got time for this," she shoved her away, "Are we ready? Everyone take your places."

And just like that, the MC of the wedding of the year picked up the mic and started to introduce them. Of course they were the leading dance troop in all of ... and it this was a performance to showcase them to even the rich and famous. She had put a lot of effort into the choreography this time and she was not about to let nerves get to her. Yes it was a number they had done time without number but she had added a few extra tracks in the song to really get their audiences going.

"Go give the CD to the DJ and if I have to look for you..."

"I'll get it to him yaar," her baby sister said, rubbing her ear in wariness as she turned and went in the direction of the DJ, muttering under her breath about how it seemed like her sister always turned to Cruella right before a Show.  I mean, so what if this was the highest paid dance they had ever done, she asked herself.

Peeking at the crowd from where the DJ stood perched on a podium with his spin tables and all, she had to marvel at the glitz and glamour of the wedding parties. It was really the who's who of upper crust society. Didi said they had gotten this gig after the original dance troop had eaten something that had given most of them food poisoning three nights to this wedding. The bride's family apparently was known to the village head's son who had in turn told them about Didi and her troop and they had been given the last minute invitation and paid upfront. Didi had been over the moon...well that was an understatement. Her sister had been looking worried for a few days and all of a sudden she got the gig and ran all the way to the bank, returning with a triumphant smile.

O well, she needed to get back to them now. After all she was a part of the troop when it suited her Didi to let her do a dance with them.

"So?" her sister asked her when she got back to them.

She gave her a thumbs-up sign which caused her to sigh with relief. The smile that adorned her sister's face was golden and she couldn't help returning the smile. Her sister was still the best and there was no denying that. She watched as the lights dimmed and her sister and the rest of the troops walked out unto the floor to take their positions. Moments later the strains of Bole Chudiyaan filled the room as her sister began her performance.

In all honesty she was a joy to watch. All her performances were like reading a chapter of her life in reel time. You always went away feeling like you knew her and not like you just watched a really entertaining performance. She told a story with each move. Of course her mentor and idol was Madhuri Dixit and if ever there was a dance sequence she did, her sister had studied it. Watching her sister as she moved to the music, she leaned against the pole to next to her to watch the Show she had seen a thousand times. She however didn't see the young man off to the entrance of the hall who had just entered and was apparently looking for someone.

Eyes behind medicated designer rectangular Gucci glasses searched unhurriedly through every one of the people he could see and when he turned to his left, his eyes glanced over her and then almost immediately slid back to transfix on her. Sudden interest kindled on his insides as he looked at her. She was intensely watching the dancers on the floor as they gyrated to the overly familiar tunes of the number one wedding song all over India. Her eyes were wistful and far away as she watched in complete rapture as the dancers moved in perfect unison and harmony, thrilling the onlookers.

No no wait a minute, he thought to himself, she was watching one person in particular. He followed her gaze and saw that her eyes followed the lead female dancer as she moved joyously to the song.  His eyes narrowed slightly. Was she batting for the other team? A frown climbed up and settled on his forehead as he turned his gaze back on her. It would be a damn shame if that were the case, he thought again as he took in her appearance. She looked to be no older than nineteen, stood about five feet six inches off the ground, milky fair skin and wide set doe eyes that were lined with minimal khol, enhancing the innocence that clearly lay bare for all to see. Her body which from all indications was willowy had the firmness of youth and her curves were gently accentuated in the hip hugging full skirt she wore which however stopped at her calves. She was indeed a beauty to behold as her glossy pink lips parted in a smile as the woman she was watching began to enact the sequence in the song where Kajol had wanted to go dance yet Shah Rukh had kept pulling her back. The scene elicited laughter from their audience.

The song continued on up until its expected end which suddenly changed and became the ever catchy Nagada song from Jab We Met. This had some of the guests who were now a little loosened up from the alcohol to jump up and start to dance with the troop. Emboldened, the leading lady went and pulled up some of the guests to dance with them. This continued until the song finally came to an end. With applause being given appreciatively, they took a bow and amidst thrown kisses, left the stage to prepare for the second performance.

As he watched her, the girl turned and disappeared behind the curtain where he assumed was their changing spot. He was about to follow when he heard his name yelled across the room.

"Akash!"

He turned to see a cousin of his hurrying up to him, "When did you get here bhai?" she asked after hugging him.

"Not too long ago," he said with a small smile, "Where's Bade Bhai?"

"With those crazy friends who seem to be teasing the hell out of him and getting drunk while they're at it. I don't know how he can be friends with such crazy people I swear," she said in her usual matronly voice as she pulled him through the crowd of people that were insistent on greeting him or saying hello or shaking his hand.

He smiled as she made her way to the garden where they all seemed to be gathered having a party of their own. She looked on in disgust as they sang crazy songs and pranced around the garden which already had cans strewn all over the place. As she stood watching them, hey eys fell on one figure who seemed to be laughing the loudest. On being eye to eye with her, he dropped the can of beer in his hand like a bad habit and straightened up, trying to look innocent as he fidgeted under her intense stare. As Akash watched, his cousin turned up her imperial nose at them and walked away, leaving the young man cursing his ill-luck.

When will Aman ever learn, Akash chuckled to himself as he flung his neck w'armer around his neck and made his way to his brother.

"Hey Akash! Finally you made it!" his brother bellowed, looking every inch the love sick puppy that he was.

"Daksh Bhaiya," Akash said, hugging his brother who was thumping him on the back, "I wouldn't miss it for the world."

"You better not have. I can just see Nisna Bhabhi filleting your skinny behind for missing her big day. After all you did introduce them," Aman came and thumped him on the back. " Say, where's your best friend and my fiendish boss?"

He'll be here tomorrow. He couldn't make it today," Akahs said quietly.

"I don't know if that man ever sleeps!" Aman said with an exaggerated frown, "He has already missed five days of partying and fun and God knows he needs both in his life."

A chuckle went up from amongst them, and Daksh clapped his brother on the back again, "Glad you came in today. You need to help me out here bro. These guys are taking the piss!"

"I'd help you out but I'm not ready to get creamed along with you," Akash said with a chuckle, "And now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to find Ma-ji."

With that he immediately left them while they continued to try to keep him with them, Daksh pleading for help. As soon as he was out of sight, he went up the stairs to go see his Mum who was retouching her make-up.

"Mum," he said softly as he stood just inside her room.

She looked up into the mirror, full joy spreading across her lips as she saw her son's reflection, "Akash! You're here!"

He went in and after taking her blessings, hugged her warmly, "The way everyone exclaims when I walk in you would think I planned not to show up!"

She cupped his chin lovingly, "But it has been so long since you came back to see us. Even you moving back from Dubai has not been any different than when you were over there. We hardly get to see you!"

"I do my best Mum. I work quite a lot."

She sighed, "There's a lot more to life you know," she said, pulling him toward the bed to sit him down, "Let me look at you."

He laughed at this one, "Mum I'm not any thinner than the last time you saw me."

She smiled, "A mother has to say something when she doesn't feed her son every day now doesn't she?"

Aman grinned, "I can see you're the reason why Bhaiya has taken up membership in the gym again. He can't keep the weight off anymore just doing runs!"

His Mum giggled like a school girl, "I won't let you boys run around like we suddenly lost the ability to feed you."

"There's my boy!"

They both turned to see Randir Rathore glide into the room with his tall and lithe frame, hands outstretched to welcome his son. It was immediately obvious that his father was a little tipsy.

"Dad!" A full smile blossomed on his lips as he hugged his father who thumped him pretty much as his brother had done.

"My, you are growing taller in old age!" he exclaimed, looking at his son who somehow managed to blush under his father's stare.

It was a running commentary each time he saw them. His father complained he was getting taller, his mother complained he was getting leaner. He guessed it was their thing anyway.

"Come, I have several people who are eager to meet my son who was bold enough to defy his father and go into partnership with our rivals."

"Well those rivals are the very reason we can exist without ..."

"I know, I know," Randir said gruffly, but with a hint of a smile on his handsome face, "I owe a lot to that whiz of a boy and you, who was supposed to be on my side won't let me forget it!"
"Not even for a second," Akash replied without missing a beat.

Randir guwaffed and clapped his son on the back again, "I sure have missed you son!"

"It's good to be home Dad," he said, genuine warmth filling the atmosphere of the room.

Lata Rathore sniffed from the bed as she watched their exchange, causing her husband to roll his eyes at his wife's dramatics.

"Come beta, before your mother starts her water works," Randir said with what was supposed to be a hushed whisper.

Lata picked up a pillow and hurled it playfully at Randir who ducked out of the room, a laughing Akash following him.

As soon as they made it down the stairs they were immediately engulfed in greetings and praises from guests who took time to comment on the success of Akash who had struck out of the family business of diamond farming and merchanting, into software design and technological advancement. Yes, Akash had decided to follow his passion rather than join his brother. He knew that in the diamond business, his family dictated the tunes of a lot of buying and selling trends. However, he also decided that he was going to get involved in technology research and development in all its forms. He had currently brokered a deal with several motoring and electronics companies, to come to India and establish their R&D facilities in the country, thereby creating jobs and putting the country in the forefront of the know-how of technology. India was already a world leader in IT and Software thanks to their efforts. Three times in a row, they had won the Humanitarian and Entrepreneurs of the year awards in the Business Community Awards held every year in Mumbai. It really was quite a feat, as they also had clout with the government, now that they were providing a necessary service and alleviating poverty as best they could.

He and his closest friend and business partner...

He did not complete the thought as a sudden hush fell over the room and all eyes seemed to focus on the entrance of the large hall. On seeing who was causing all the commotion, he smiled. The tall, imposing figure of his business partner and long time friend filled the door way. He hadn't told anyone he was inviting him. Excusing himself, he began to edge towards the figure that now stood imperially, surveying the crowd that was not whispering and glancing covertly or openly at him whilst gossiping.

As he neared the door, the man's face broke out in a rare smile, "And here I almost thought you would leave me to handle this all alone."

"I promised to save your behind did I not?"

"Arnav Singh Raizada, as I live and breathe," he hugged his friend, obviously relaxing a little more in the midst of all these people.

"So who would you like to meet first? The parents?" Akash asked.

"Would it be a good idea?"

"I think it's all water under the bridge since they now know you aren't going to screw their son over because of a dead rivalry."

"That's a relief," Arnav sighed as Akash waved him into the room, "So what do I need to know before I delve into this crowd?"

"I think I just met my future wife," Akash said simply.

Arnav threw his head back and laughed, startling a few people as this was a never before seen spectacle.

Edited by Ezther - 7 years ago
Ezther thumbnail
PART 3 :

It was late night and everyone finally began to find their way to their hotel rooms or rooms as assigned by their hosts in the Rathore Haveli. It was one of those nights where after the guests were gone, the family continued with their own private celebration. Daksh was beside himself with joy and nervous expectations and his father couldn't be prouder. They had had to negotiate with the girl's side, saying they wanted the ceremony held at their place and wouldn't mind transporting as many of her family as they wanted to ensure they were not overwhelmed. Tanya's father had tried to refuse but ever the savvy businessman, Randir had put forth the ever persuasive argument of their family becoming one and what did it really matter if they insisted on making sure that their own daughter to-be was married off in style.

Lata Rathore stood watching her sons conversing with their father and the young man called Arnav Singh Raizada. He was quite an enigma, and she could see how her son would bond with a young man like that. They were cut from the same cloth. Yes, there had been a bit of rivalry between the Rathores and the Raizadas because Arnav, this young man she now watched from a distance, had managed to steal a government contract her husband had been bidding for, from right under his nose. Randir had wanted to kill the young man. In light of that, imagine Akash returning from Dubai to say he had joined hands with the very same man to start a company and was going into business with him! Randir had almost had a heart attack that day.

Cool as a cucumber, her son had said it was a matter of take it or leave it. His father could do nothing about it because he was a grown and consenting adult. It had taken guts for him to go over and pitch this idea to Arnav as a young business man who had just struck out on his own, not wanting to go the expected path of the family business. Let Daksh handle it, he had insisted. That way there was never a chance of rivalry or comparison. She recognized that her husband though grudgingly, had begun to respect his second son more than ever before. He had guts and a spine of steel, wasn't swayed by emotions and was firm.

She watched them now. How things changed. The buzz created when he showed up tonight was a huge plus to her son's wedding. She wasn't one for media attention but at least her first son was getting married. Adequate noise should be made about it. What concerned her right now as she watched them, was that she had noticed her second staring quite intently at one of the dancers that had performed tonight. She had to admit the girl was beautiful...very much so. If her son had designs on that girl, well she hoped it would be a passing fancy because their lives were in Mumbai. She didn't want complications of any sort. These village belles were no longer as nave as they used to be. The influence of Bollywood and the small screen cinemas took care of that. They knew who was who and who had what. Either way she would not interfere...yet. If her son could take a decision that would pit him against his father and not be swayed by ultimatums and threats, she didn't want to try and to force him. She had nothing against poor people or middle class people, but she generally found you could find any type of love within your own class in society. You didn't have to slum it before finding a balance.

"Kya soch ri hoon masi?" Maya came up to her aunt who was lost in thought.

She smiled easily, "Nothing really. Just thinking its so good to have Akash around for a few days before the wedding. We rarely get to see him even though we all live in Mumbai."

"That is so true. I'll have to talk to him about it," she said, glancing over at them, "He's too young to be working all the time. He needs to socialize, else I fear he'll get married at fifty!"

Lata smiled to herself. She didn't even need to prod the girl, "So do you have any way to remedy that? Because your cousin always has his nose buried in some report or other."

"I invited a couple of friends that should be right up his alley. They should be arriving tomorrow. He should like one of them."

"Well I'll leave you to it dear cos I find that you young people today do not want us interfering in your lives as much as in the old days."

"And with good reason!" Maya laughed, "You people would send us to an early grave if we let you people keep taking decisions for us. Look how Akash striking out on his own panned out. Uncle didn't ever think he could succeed without his help, yet here he is! A self-made man who still gets to inherit a substantial part of the Rathore estate."

"He is a son to be proud of, isn't he?" Maya looked lovingly at her son.

In that moment, Arnav Raizada turned and immediately looked at her with a fixed stare. Of course it was impossible to hear what was being said, but all the same, she had a feeling this young man could read people like a book. Not much got past him she concluded. He inclined his head by way of greeting, a small smile curving his mouth.

"That one's a lady killer I'll bet," Maya whispered.

"He does look the type. He and my Akash were the most eligible bachelors at the engagement ceremony if the rumor mill is to be believed."

"I don't doubt it. So how come there was no attempt to match-make?"

"Well they weren't expecting him. We," Lata indicated herself, "were definitely not expecting him, yet here he is! I guess the mothers will come to the sangeet and mehendi functions tomorrow well prepared. I pity them both."

"This one looks foreboding. Much more than Akash does."

"Well some women here have really thick skins as do their daughters, especially when you're trying to land a man like those two." Lata chuckled, but rose to her feet anyway, "Well, I'm off to bed. It's an early morning for me tomorrow and I must sleep off tonight's fatigue."

"Good night Masi. I'll retire too."

Both women parted ways as they went different directions to their rooms.

Gupta haveli was well lit up at the top of the hill overlooking the rest of the surrounding village. It was an old sprawling mansion that was once one of the glories of the village. It was currently being restored in bits by a proud Khushi Kumari Gupta. Yes, this was her right. She may not be a man but then, her family had been a forward-thinking one. Before her parents died, they had willed the place to her and her cousins. They could never sell the place. The reasons were it was the family's legacy and, should anything happen, they would have a place to stay for always. Khushi had taken it upon herself to begin restoration works on it. The bits she and her cousins could do for themselves, they did. Rest, they hired professionals.

As they neared home, Khushi looked with pride at the imposing dome of the haveli which she was currently having restored. It had swallowed up a lot of money but she had insisted, saying that this was one of the attractions of the haveli. It was made from gold plated metal which had weathered and lost some of its shine. But even in the night lights, with the metal being replated and polished and the imposing entrance almost being finished, the outside of the haveli looked magnificent. It was almost at its former glory. Khushi's plan was that since tourism in the village was growing, she could transform the haveli which had almost twenty five rooms sitting dormant, into a guest house where people who wanted to experience the royal life could do it, for a price.

As their bumbling bus drew near to their stop, she sighed happily. This wedding had been such a blessing. She looked at Payal who had fallen asleep with her headphones on, and Dia who sat, a little lost in thought. Their own parents had died in a boating accident when they were ten and twelve respectively. Their mothers were sisters and so her mother had taken in her sister's children, seeing as she would be gaining two more daughters, and providing companions for her own daughter. It had been impossible for her to conceive again after Khushi, hence it was a painful reason to come together but it was a blessing nonetheless. That year had been hard for everyone, adjusting to what their lives had become, but they pulled through and grew as a family. Now all she did was look out for them. She had made sure that after her own parents passed within three years of each other, that her cousins whom she thought of as sisters, lacked for nothing. She sent Dia to fashion school, and Payal was about to finish Business School. All in all, she was like a proud mother when she looked at them.

At twenty-seven, she had also convinced herself she was doing the right thing, waiting for them to both be settled before she settled down herself. After all, it was not as if she was searching for a groom. She had one. The best of the best... Nahar Varma. Thinking of him, she smiled.

"Didi, we're here," Dia said quietly as the bus came to a stop in front of the haveli entrance.

"Home sweet home," she sighed contently, already dreaming of her warm bed, "Gudiya, wake up. We're home."

Payal stretched lazily and opened her eyes. Khushi smiled down at her with all the love in her heart, "You are so spoiled."

"And whose fault is that?" she murmured in her sleepy state as they headed to the door which was immediately opened by their long time housekeeper and whom they just called Masi.

"Welcome home," she smiled warmly.

"Thank you Masi," they chorused, and Payal added, "You should have seen Khushi Didi. She was the best looking and best dressed woman in that haveli."

Dia rolled her eyes and Khushi laughed, "You must be really tired to think that."

"No I'm not," she said as Khushi led her upstairs to her room while Dia followed behind, a pensive look on her face.

"Did you have a good time too Dia? You don't look as happy as your sisters."

Dia turned surprised eyes on Masi, "Nahin Masi...bahut khush ho. Sirf...mujhe bahut tak gaye."

"Acha? Toh theek hai. Joa, aram soh jao," she shooed her up the stairs.

As she watched her go, Masi shook her head thinking to herself, This Dia would someday be a problem for Khushi and Payal if that look on her face was anything to go by. She was a good girl, but she tended to bring have the desire to live far above her means. Wherever luxury was to be found, Dia was sure to find her way there. She wasn't supposed to be at this wedding party as she had nothing to do there. She wasn't part of the dance troop anymore, but she went running there as soon as she heard who was in town. Mumbai royalty she had called them. Of course she hadn't a clue who, they were but Payal and Khushi seemed to know, after all she had never left the village her whole life but these girls had gone and returned.

Keh, thought Masi, at least this time she seemed to be behaving herself. The last time she was here, she and Khushi had ahd a huge fight about money. Khushi had been accused of favoring Payal over her, giving her more money and attention. It had taken all Khushi could do, not to throw her out on her ear. But when Dia had left in a huff, Khushi had put her foot down and it was almost three months before they heard from Dia again. Khushi had refused to reach out to her as she usually did when she threw a tantrum, and Masi had been so proud of her. She had spoiled both girls, but Dia was the one who took it for granted. Khushi had had to clip her wings to get her back in line. Now there was a healthy respect as well as a fondness that survived the fight.

Her only real worry was Khushi. That girl was doing too much at a young age. She knew the struggle Khushi had in keeping the house running. She knew about the mortgage Khushi was struggling to pay every month, having taken out a loan to develop the farm and get some new machinery to make the farming process less tedious and reduce the need to hire more hands. She knew that Nahar setting up this dancing gig for them was the best thing that could have happened because she had been able to pay off three months in advance and this afforded them good breathing space financially. The Rathores had paid a whooping amount of money emphasizing that they wanted nothing lacking in the entertainment. Perhaps they had paid Mumbai rates because Khushi had been speechless when Lata Rathore handed her the cheque to cover expenses, get appropriate costumes and transportation. Khushi had run all the way to the bank before coming home and gathering the troop. They would go on to practice until they bled!

She knew a lot of things that went on in this house. For instance, that it was difficult to get the workers who ploughed maintained and harvested the vast farm land that still belonged to them, to work for less pay and a meal per day from their kitchen. She watched this young woman do it all with a smile and a laugh that was infectious. She never stopped, this girl, and it was hard to see. She only wished that young man would truly marry her and give her a life of ease that she very much deserved. A woman with a heart of gold deserved a breather from all the harshness she had experienced throughout her life. They all did.

The sangeet ceremony was in full swing and again, Khushi and her dance troop were preparing for the same. It was another glorious function by the Rathores but Khushi barely had time to appreciate it. She had decided to trust Payal with taking the lead on today's performances. Lata had asked them to do Chilman from Kisna, and they were going to do Mahi ve from Kal Ho Na Ho. The rest of the dance sequences in-between Lata had left to their discretion though she had okayed the list with Lata before they had gone to rehearsals.

"Are you okay?" she asked Payal.

"I'm fine. It's not my first time," Payal said, a nervous tick pulsing in her neck.

"It's your first time without me there beside you."

"I can handle it Didi. I promise you," Payal assured her.

"Good, because I will have to kill you if you mess up."

"That's not the first time you've told her that," Dia said, coming up behind them. "You're about to be called up."

"Okay, stand up for me," Khushi said to Payal whose legs she had been massaging. Payal did same and Khushi motioned for her to twirl, and began to adjust her clothing and costume jewelry they had acquired to get as close to Sushmita's outfit in the item song as they could. Dia had been responsible for Payal's make-up which looked stunning! "Alright. Just remember we're here, cheering you on. No mistakes!"

"No mistakes," Payal echoed.

"Off you go," Khushi gently shoved her as the opening dialogue began, before the first strands of music began to play.

With one last look, Payal joined the rest of the dancers on the floor. Khushi held her breath as she watched her baby sister whom she knew danced because it was something they could do together. She would miss her when she left to Pune once again for her final semester. She was just glad that soon her little cousin would finish, be able to get a job and finally settle down with that young man she was always talking about. She might not admit it to herself, but he study buddy at school was way more than a study buddy. She knew it, Dia knew it too.

Dia took her hand and squeezed it to show her support. Khushi smiled gratefully at her, but they didn't need to worry. Payal had the crowd wowed as she re-enacted the dance sequence that the iconic Sushmita Sen had given life to.

"There's your lady love," Arnav whispered to Akash.

"Beautiful," was all he said.

"So," Arnav said, a hint of rarely seen mischief coloring his voice, "When do you make the first move?"

"She already did," he indicated her fluid movements to the song.

"Well, I'll look forward to hearing all about this," Arnav said, and was about to take a sip of his bourbon when his eye caught sight of her again.

She was standing next to the older sister of the dancer Payal. So what was she? A friend? Or the middle sister? He looked at the dancing Payal and compared her features to the mysterious woman. Yes. They were definitely sisters. But they didn't share much else with the oldest of them all. He took his time to look at the one called khushi Kumari Gupta. She was a beauty too. Her skin wasn't creamy white like these two. It was more of a gentle golden brown, probably from being in the sun too much. Her features were almost painted. It looked like she didn't wear much make-up but her features shone. Dark brows curved proudly over wide green eyes. Her dark hair which currently flowed down her back enhanced her eyes and her skin. Her skin positively glowed under the lighting. It seemed full, pouty lips ran in the family. She bit on her lower lip as she watched her sister perform. It was obvious she was a protective one. And she was all woman.Definitely not his type, but all woman. She was full figured...probably a size twelve. Unlike  most girls who craved to be skinny, he could tell she was comfortable in her skin.

Interesting family, he thought, but he was intrigued by the middle woman. She had had the opportunity to throw herself at him and she hadn't even given him a second glance. He wasn't fooled, people had motives for everything they did, but he wanted to know what 'make' her story was. It would be a fine distraction from the norm of this forced holiday.

As if sensing his gaze on her, the lady turned and swept the room with a curious gaze. Her gaze went past him and then flew back in a double take, registering he was the one from the garden. He waited, wanting to see her reaction to seeing him again. After about five seconds, she looked away without so much as batting an eyelid.

Arnav was mildly surprised at the dismissal. Hmm, he thought, no one dismisses him like that. Now he definitely had to find out about her. It was a given. Akash had his own stuff to deal with, and he had his.

Smiling a little, he took a sip of his scorching drink.

TBC.

Uzii thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Interesting story,i have a confusion that is arnav interested in Dia or he is assuming khusi the middle one n i really hope its khusi he is interested but than khusi has a boyfriend but i think he will ditch her.
Ezther thumbnail
Originally posted by: Uzii

Interesting story,i have a confusion that is arnav interested in Dia or he is assuming khusi the middle one n i really hope its khusi he is interested but than khusi has a boyfriend but i think he will ditch her.

Thanks for the reply Uzii. Yes, you are completely right in your conclusions. I wouldnt want to give anything away as yet so keep reading and let it all unfold as it surely will!👍🏼😊
Ezther thumbnail

PART 4:

Most of the festivities were done and over and people generally just hung around to talk shop and gossip like crazy. There was elation in every spirit while other wealthy families focused on how best to top the Rathore's celebration of their son's love. The grounds of the haveli were large enough to accommodate the many young couples who wanted to sneak of somewhere for some alone time. It was amusing to see them try to act like nothing was going on.

Payal shook her head as she saw another couple sneak off into the vast lawns that were dotted with hedges to hide people from view. She had gone off to the kitchen to help the servants in getting food and drinks to the dancers who were resting from having done six performances already in this one night. Lord, she was almost ready to have this wedding over so she could have her family back. They hadn't had proper down time in all the while she had come back for her three week holiday. Two of it had been spent practicing almost five hours a day for this very wedding. Khushi's head was so wrapped up in this whole thing she rarely ate, slept or did anything that was not tied to this wedding.

O well, she thought, it was one more day and all this would be over. She had wandered outside into the car park and was walking around, running her hand over the sleek cars.

"Wonder what it would be like to have one of these," she murmured.

"Beautiful."

She spun around on high alert as she heard the husky voice come out of nowhere. Her eyes searching the direction the voice had come from, she asked authoritatively, "Who's there?"

"Relax young lady," came a voice, as a man stepped out of the shadows. "I don't mean any harm."

Payal quickly looked around to see if there was anyone else close by in case of any eventuality. She didn't immediately see anyone but was comforted that given the people who were hanging around in the bushes, someone would hear if she screamed.

"Who are you?" she asked again, fixing him with a suspicious measuring gaze.

He chuckled, "That is actually refreshing. It's nice to meet someone who doesn't know who I am." He said, coming into the light, "My name is Akash."

She frowned, giving him an odd look. Was that supposed to mean something to her? She studied his features. He did look familiar, standing at a good six feet with piercing eyes and striking features, there was no way he didn't remind her of someone she'd seen recently, "I've seen you somewhere."

It was a statement to which he smiled, "Now that I think about it, I'd be a little offended if you hadn't, seeing as you intend to come into my world."

She frowned deeper. What the hell did he mean by that? And that tone? It had a double edge to it. "Your world?"

He smiled rather than elaborate on what he meant. Payal was somehow sure that he meant something other than what that simple statement implied.

"You haven't told me your name," he said, leaning against the car that separated them.

She eyed him warily, "Somehow I think you know."

He chuckled again, "You're right, I do."

"Why?"

"Why do I know your name?"

"Yes, and why are you following me?"

She was direct, he'd give her that. And she didn't blink too. Kudos, he hailed her silently. Most people he knew sat up straight when he approached but this young woman clearly didn't give a damn who he was or what he had.

"I think you're an amazing dancer," he said calmly, an amused smile adorning his chiseled features, "You could rival Madhuri Dixit any day."

Taken aback for a second, she had the grace to blush when the import of his words sank in. She brushed imaginary hair from her forehead and said demurely, "Thank you. But that doesn't explain why you're interested in knowing who I am. I don't know you and we do not move in the same circles for sure."

He smiled fully, "I like you Payal," he said, but was cut off as voices reached them. He watched a group of girls come around the bend of the gate leading to the car park. The frenzied whispers amongst them clearly indicated they had followed him and were now looking for him. He frowned.

"I think he went that way," one of them said.

"Why would he come into the parking lot?" another questioned.

"You know he's a loner right? All this..."

A sudden hush fell on them as they spotted Akash standing facing them, a girl who was about their age standing on the other side of a car, regarding them with open amusement. Silly smiles adorned their faces as they now advanced with boldness. Akash groaned inwardly as he schooled his expression into one of foreboding.

"I think they're looking for you," Payal mouthed in a conspiratorial whisper, though her gaze never left the girls.

"Hi Akash!" one of them called while the others echoed their hi's and hellos.

"Ladies," he said without a hint of invitation on his face or in his tone.

He stood with his hands behind his back, looking more like a navy captain than someone who was trying to make conversation with the girl on the other side of the car. She was watching the whole exchange with laughter in her eyes.

"We were looking all over for you," another one said, while the others echoed.

"Can I help you with something?" he asked.

Confusion at his tone spread across their faces and Payal snickered from across them, causing all heads except Akash's, to turn in her direction, shooting daggers. She immediately hushed up, pretending to look elsewhere.

"Well...we were hoping you could...you know...hang out with us for a bit? It's getting boring in there with all the oldies."

"Yeah," echoed the other two girls, playing with strands of their hair, while batting their eyes and pouting their lips suggestively at him.

If it wasn't for the ridiculousness of the whole situation, Akash might have laughed at this barely out of high school tactics they were pulling. But right now, they were raining on his parade and he would have none of it.

"As you can see, I'm busy," he said, indicating Payal and turning away from them at the same time, "Now if you will excuse me."

He left the shocked girls gaping at his back while he rounded the car towards an even more surprised Payal, took her by the hand and turned to leave the lot. Payal could feel the daggers in her back.

What are you doing?" she whispered, throwing a glance over her shoulder at the girls who looked like they would readily gouge her eyes out given the opportunity.

"Saving us both," came his tight lipped reply.

"You are so mean," she said, giggling as he pulled her in the direction of the massive gardens.

He threw her an amused glance, "I am trying really hard to impress you, and they show up to interrupt me? I take that very seriously."

That shut her up. What did he just say? She glanced up at him but he was looking ahead to where he was taking her. That smile might be on his lips but she had a feeling he was dead serious. What in the world was going on with this guy?

Arnav watched the girl Dia from a distance. He knew she knew he was watching her and she made it a point to ignore him. That just served to increase his determination, even if it was just for these few days. She made a show of looking around to see if anyone was watching her and on finding no one, she ducked and headed away into the front garden where they had been only yesterday. Giving her a few minutes to settle in, he followed her. He found her where he knew she would be...behind the rose bush.

"May I?" he asked.

Without looking at him, she shrugged. He smiled at her nonchalance. This woman for sure knew what she was doing, he would also give her that.

"So, how long are we going to play the cloak and dagger game?"

She didn't immediately reply, a pensive look coming over her beautiful face, "I don't know what you're talking about."

He chuckled, "Do you not?"

"No," came her curt reply.

"Giving me a taste of my own medicine?"

She just shrugged and didn't reply.

"Would you rather I said nothing to you?"

"That would be nice," she said softly, looking at him for the first time, square in the eye, "In case you haven't noticed, I'm trying to have some quiet here."

He nodded at nothing in particular. "At least tell me your name," he said. "I'm Arnav."

"What, no last name?" she asked with a sweeping look of him.

"Let's leave that alone for now shall we?"

"Hmm," she said, "I'm Dia."

"Hmm, light," he said softly, "It's a good name."

"My mother thought so too."

"Wow, you are really in character," he said softly.

A small laugh escaped her, "You started it."

"Okay then, how about we start over?" he said, turning to face her, "Hello, I'm Arnav."

She contemplated his hand in front of her for a second, then took it in a warm handshake, "Dia."

"Nice to meet you."

"I think I'm supposed to say the pleasure's is all mine," Dia said with an amused shake of her head.

"So what does Dia do?" he asked, relaxing.

"I'm a model. Commercial," she said promptly, proud of herself.

"Interesting," he said.

"It's not the big leagues yet, but I'll get there soon enough."

"I'm sure you will. Determination is always the key."

"Darned straight," she said.

Arnav noddeded, "I like that."

She waved him away, "So what does Arnav do?"

"I'm a business man," he said, "I consult on all kinds of things."

"Like what?"

He looked a little taken aback by her prompt question, and a nervous laugh escaped him, "Well a plethora of things really. From construction, to hotel management, fashion, media, you know. I consult on a whole lot of things."

She raised her brow at that, her expression letting him know she didn't really believe him, "Okay tell me the truth. What do you really do?"

He laughed, a deep throaty sound, "It's been a while since someone doubted a word I've said."

She gave him a measuring look, "So you're that big a shot?"

He debated whether or not to admit it, but decided against sugarcoating the truth. He was at a Rathore function, she must have seen him with Akash, that more than said enough.

"Yes...I guess I am."

"Well I'll be damned," she said, "And here I was bragging about being a model. Seems so small now."

"Models today are one of the highest paid people you know," he said knowledgably, "The smart ones diversify into bigger and better ventures so they can retire early."

"Tell me you consult for a modeling agency," she said with a hint of dry sarcasm.

He laughed again, "You're funny."

She snorted in disbelief, "You think I'm funny? You haven't met my older cousin. She is hilarious."

"Your older cousin's here?" he asked, feigning ignorance.

"Oh yeah," she said, shaking her head in amusement, "She is at every function this village has to offer. The proverbial village belle, but I guarantee you, she's the smartest of us all."

"No kidding?" he said with amusement, seeing the pride that shone on her face.

"That woman put me through Fashion school and started my modeling career. And now, she's just about done putting my little sister through Business School. If I had the choice of a mother, I'd wish she were mine."

"Wow, those are deep words," he said, looking at her with more interest now, "I really must meet this cousin of yours."

"Oh but you have," Dia said, laughing at a private joke, but at his raised brow, "She is the lead dancer of the troops for the wedding. My little sister was the one who did the opening number tonight."

"Really?" he said, "You don't look much alike."

"Well not Khushi Di and I, Payal and I," she corrected him, "Khushi is the older cousin, Payal is my sister. I swear, Payal does everything Khushi Di does. Khushi Di is like a proud mother."

"And your mother?" he asked.

As if startled, she suddenly stopped, her expression shutting down. She turned away from him without a word, her expression one of pain and of loss.

Arnav watched her, and immediately understood that pain- the loss of a mother. It was deep...almost like having your protection ripped away from you. You had nowhere to go. Reaching out, he took her hand which was holding her up while she stared into space. He waited as her eyes travelled from his hand which now held hers up to his face which held an expression of understanding.

"I'm sorry for your loss," he said simply.

She held his gaze which didn't waver for a few seconds, as if weighing their sincerity. She must have seen something she recognized, for only then did she nod with a resigned sigh, and look away. He knew for a fact, that in this moment, they understood each other's pain.

Almost immediately, her phone rang, causing her to jump a little. Extricating her hand which she suddenly realized had been very warm inside of his big, oddly soft hands, she stared at the screen a moment before quickly picking it up.

"Hello Didi?" she answered, a reverent respect entering her tone, "Payal?" she glanced at Arnav with a questioning gaze, "No, I haven't seen her. Have you tried calling her?...Really? It's alright, you know how she wanders off sometimes...I'll go look around. Ji Didi. Bye."

"My crazy sister has decided to go missing when they are about to go on the floor again," she informed Arnav. "I'm sorry but I have to leave, or my cousin will have a heart attack."

Arnav couldn't help but chuckle to himself as he listened to her side of the conversation, "It's perfectly okay. Just take your time. I'm sure she'll turn up."

"It was nice meeting you Arnav," she smiled, getting to her feet, "I have to say I misjudged you."

"Well the pleasure is all mine. It's refreshing to have an honest conversation without money and status getting in the way."

"I guess I'll see you around," she said, going past him.

"I'll make sure of it," he called after her, causing her to stop and turn around to fix him with a curious yet amused gaze.

Shaking her head, she turned and walked away, her soft laughter floating around as she disappeared.

Fishing out his phone, he dialed Akash. Akash apparently let it ring a few times before deciding to pick.

"Raizada, this better be urgent," he all but growled into the phone.

Arnav threw his head back and laughed heartily, "You must really be doing a good job of it if you're this upset I called."

"Why did you call?"

"You better return that pretty young thing to her cousin before her cousin kills her. They're about to go on for another performance."

Swearing under his breath, Akash whispered a thanks' before hanging up. Well, well, well, what did you know? Akash had succeeded in getting the girl's attention? Well then, it seemed that the Gupta girls were the ones going to get more out of this wedding than the many young and sophisticated looking girls who had come in from Tinsel town.

HOPE YOU ENJOYED READING THIS!!!!! J

Uzii thumbnail
Nice chapter so it was Dia whom arnav was interested so looking forward to read more n how arnav n khusi's lovestory start.
Ezther thumbnail

PART 5:

They had finished for the night and after being given packs and packs of food to go home with- compliments of Lata Rathore who had immensely enjoyed the performances, and had even gifted another fat envelope Khushi could only assume was at least in the region of tens of thousands of rupees, having thoroughly enjoyed Payal's Nimbooda performance. They were now piling into the bus that had brought them. She couldn't help but notice the slightly appraising look the woman had given Payal as she commented on her enjoyment of the number. Shrugging it off, she quickly shared the money with all fifteen members of the dance troop, each of them getting good money for a job well done. There was more celebrating and praise handed round as the bus was being loaded up.

Khushi had almost pounced on Payal upon her reappearance from wherever she'd been, but had deferred the talking-to she was going to give her until they got home. The Show had to go on. She kept giving her angry looks and Payal had been giving her pleading glances ever since her performance finished. Dia was highly amused. Khushi was never mad at Payal...she was after all the baby of the house.

"Di, what's the use in being mad at her? You're only going to end up apologizing when she gets all cry-baby," Dia whispered to her, taking pity on Payal's sullen face as they moved the last of the things onto the bus.

"She could have messed us up royally Dia. What was she thinking? I wasn't prepared to go up there."

"Well nothing happened. Stop playing what ifs' and give the girl a break. She's only home for a few more days you know," Dia said, knowing just where her sister's sensitive spot was.

Khushi faltered in her movements, a sadness crossing her features for a brief second. She however straightened and squared her shoulders, "I'll deal with it later."

Dia smiled knowingly and winked at Payal who nodded gratefully at her. Dia boarded the bus, but not before glancing behind her. There was someone in the shadows watching them. She looked closer without letting it look like she was looking.

No, that wasn't Arnav she concluded finally, and turned to go.

"Payal get on the bus," Khushi said in her most no nonsense tone.

Payal nodded and got on, but turned to look intently into the darkness from where she could make out his outline. She smiled to herself, thinking he had caused all of this mess, and now he got to sleep easy while she dealt with her grumpy cousin. Smiling to herself, she sat back as the bus pulled away from the double gatess that opened up to Rathore haveli.

Strange, she thought, reminiscing about the whole conversation she had had with Akash Rathore. He was nothing like she thought he would be. Conceited and pompous were words that came easily to mind, but he had been quite the gentleman. He had even offered to talk to Khushi so that her sister didn't skin her alive, but she had declined, deciding to hope for the best. He had stood a distance off as he did now, just to make sure. She had spied him just before she went on stage. She didn't lie to herself that her wonderful performance had nothing to do with impressing him.

It was so surreal, she thought, hiding her smile from those seated beside her, he had teased her on her shiny outfit and she had hurled a pebble at him. She had in turn made fun of his captain stance, wondering if that really deterred people in real life. Apparently it did, if those girls had halted in their tracks. She had to wonder though, if he was really serious about his perceived interest or not. Well, time would tell. He was as fairytale as they came. Handsome, rich, polite...if only. It was unfortunate but fairytale things just didn't happen to them. Theirs was the real world and it was foolish to dream. She sighed, as her eyes fluttered close. They might be in the real world, but in the recesses of her mind, as she closed her eyes, she could dream...

"So...you managed to get her into trouble on your first meeting," Arnav came up to Akash as they watched the rear lights of the bus disappear round the corner.

"That wasn't the plan," he said, a small smile playing on his lips.

"So, when's the wedding?"

"Soon. I'd like to take my time wooing her."

"You should find out about Hrithik."

"I already did," Akash said chuckling along with his friend and business partner, "That was the thing that got the ball rolling. Maybe I'll make him come for the ceremony."

"I'm guessing she'll love that," Arnav said.

"Hope you had fun in the garden," Akash said, turning knowing eyes on Arnav.

Arnav looked at his friend, "I should have known I couldn't put one over on you."

Akash snorted, "At least not in my house. Come on, I think we best get out of sight. If I see one more giggling girl, I'll smash something."

"It's fishing season my friend, suck it up," Arnav chuckled to himself. "What activity is lined up for tomorrow?"

"I think it's just family and friends over for a meal. Nothing much. Everyone needs a breather right about now. They've been going strong for almost a week now. As far back as two weeks before we came in."

"Hmmm. So Aman is into your cousin."

"I know. I just got through talking with her earlier in the day. She really likes him."

"And your parents? Will they approve?"

"They'll have no choice. Maya is a sensible girl but she is just as headstrong as the next person. Besides, she's the daughter they never had. Aman may not have all the status of a blue blood but her sure has the wealth and potential to take care of her."

"With what we pay him, he better," Arnav said as they entered the house and headed directly to the stairs, "He's a good man."

"Which is why I told her I would support her."

Akash made the mistake of looking down as they ascended and one of the girls at a corner where his eyes landed. She outright licked her lips and blew him a kiss. He cringed and cursed under his breath. Arnav who overheard couldn't help laughing at his friend's predicament.

"You know, this is the best wedding I've ever been to."

"Speak for yourself," Akash murmured as he stopped before his door, "Alright my friend. I'll see you tomorrow."

Arnav proceeded to his room. He entered the room, going quickly to his laptop. He was sure his an inbox full of mails to be returned. He was opening the buttons to remove his sherwani when a movement to the right caught his eye. He stopped moving and focused. Ever so slowly, a figure he immediately adjudged to be a young woman, rose up from the bed, her gait as seductive as she approached him.

"Hello Arnav," her sultry voice reached his ears.

He knew that voice. He closed his eyes in disbelief and more than a little frustration. Did this woman never give up?

"Tania, what are you doing here?"

"I told you I'd follow you anywhere Arnav. We're meant to be," she held the sheets up to her chest as she sat up.

"You have some nerve showing up here," he said, heading back to the door.

Pulling the sheets and wrapping it around herself, she stood facing the door, "Don't walk away Arnav."

He stopped, turning to face her, "Or else what?"

"I could scream and give tomorrow's headline on a platter of gold. We all know how you love your reputation."

"Indeed I do, but I'm tired of playing these games with you. Enough."

He turned to go and she demanded in an angry voice, "How can you pass up all this?! Many men would kill for the opportunity just to look at it."

He turned again and regarded her naked body in a cold, angry stare, "I've seen it all before Tania. Severally. And while it was certainly good, it's not the best I've seen. And secondly, I'm not most men. I've had enough of that."

She gasped at the coldness in his voice and the heavy disdain in his eyes. This man was evil...truly evil. Not even a sign that he had been the charming man she had slept with a few months back.

He opened the door and stood filling the doorway. As she light from the hallway hit the room, it seemed to occur to her she was still naked. She immediately snatched the sheets off the floor and covered up her body, glaring at him angrily.

"Be gone by the time I get back, else I'll have security remove you forcefully. You are after all, an uninvited guest."

With that, he turned and left the room, closing the door with a soft click. He was ever the gentleman, if he was nothing at all.

"Akash, open up!" he knocked on Akash's door. Well, he was pretty much pounding the door in, for all the curious glances he was generating from the hall where Daksh, his in-laws and his parents still sat discussing tomorrow's functions. It was just friends who would be invited over for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It was so they could accommodate all the people in one day.

"Raizada, is everything alright?" Randir called from downstairs.

"Fine Sir," he said with a tight smile, "I just need Akash on some office matter."

Akash opened the door then, clad in just his towel around his waist. Arnav pushed past a surprised Akash and went to stand in the middle of the room.

"What's got you all in a huff?" Akash shut the door behind him.

"What kind of security do you people have on these grounds to just let anyone come into your home?"

"I don't follow," Akash said, crossing his arms and frowning.

"Tania is in my room, butt naked!" he hissed, "Want to explain to me how that happened?"

"I'm sorry what did you say?" Akash asked incredulously.

"You heard me," Arnav growled, "You get her out of that room now, or I swear to God..."

"Calm down Arnav. I'll handle it," Akash said, suddenly finding humor in the whole thing.

"I'm glad you think this is funny," he hissed at Akash.

"Hey, you were the one who said it was the best wedding you ever attended, right?"

Arnav just glared at him and said in a cold voice, "You get her out of there now."

Akash chuckled as he dialed security. While they were in there, the clicking of heels went past Akash's room and he sliced Arnav a look which Arnav pointedly ignored. He finished talking with security who immediately reported seeing the woman leaving the main house. He asked them to make a sweep of Arnav's room and the grounds, and to make sure that no other items were missing and that no persons who shouldn't be there, were there. If this repeated itself, they were fired.

He turned to look at Arnav, "All taken care of."

"This better not repeat itself Akash. Who knows what she could have done while I was away?"

"Relax. Security is on its way."

"I'd like to watch them work. I can't risk anything else getting messed up.

"Fair enough. In the meantime, I'm going back to that shower you interrupted."

Shaking his head in disgust, he turned around and left the room. That blasted woman was able to get past dozens of guards and all the way up into his room! When he thought of her, he realized it was one of those times he should have kept it in his pants!

Khushi sat before her ornate mirror in the Master's bedroom of Gupta haveli, brushing her hair in absentminded strokes. It had been a close call today. But today had been good. Payal had been exceptional. No mistakes, no nerves. It had almost been like she was dancing for someone out there...her eyes shone and, well, she finally understood what Payal meant by telling a story when she danced. She was not sure where her sister had been but she sure looked extraordinarily guilty when she had come back to them.

She was a grown woman, her head reasoned, it was a miracle in today's day and age that she was still as level headed and dedicated as she was, not only to her studies but to her family. She wouldn't do anything stupid to disgrace them, would she? I mean they were highly respected and she didn't want it to change for anything.

"Didi."

Payal's hesitant voice reached her from the doorway. She sighed deeply, she hadn't even heard her open the door.

"Come in."

"Didi, are you feeling okay now?"

Raising her brow in a question, she asked instead, "Is that the new way of apologizing?"

Payal sighed, "Didi I just wandered off for a few minutes. It wasn't intentional."

"Payal, we were there to do a job. Not look at the beauty of the Rathore haveli. You think I didn't want to wander off too?" She looked at her sister, her eyes narrowed, "Where did you go?"

Payal suddenly looked caught, her eyes darting from left to right as if trying to make up something on the spot.

"The truth Payal," she said quietly.

Payal sighed resignedly, "Didi...please don't get mad...it's just...nothing untoward happened..I..."

"So there was a man," Khushi said, fixing Payal with a more disappointed look now.

"Didi nothing happened," Payal grabbed her hand. "I promise I wouldn't do that to you."

"What were you thinking Payal? Have I taught you nothing? These people are here today and gone tomorrow. What are you doing going off with one of them?"

"We just talked Didi," Payal rushed on, "There was nothing sinister about it."

"Talked? Just talked?! You really should know better Payal. No man steps up to a woman without first completing his intention in his mind. He knew what he wanted before he came to you and you fell for it."

Payal frowned now, "What man doesn't know what he wants? Wasn't it like this that after all the fighting Nahar Bhai got you to fall in love with him?"

"Payal!" Khushi gasped, at her sister's sudden audacity to talk back at her. It was unprecedented.

Payal shrank from her sister, looking guilty at her outburst. She hadn't meant for it to come out sounding like that but her sister was being unreasonable here. It was after all just talking.

"One night with this man and you can talk back to me when I speak to you?"

Payal was hurt, "Di, you accuse me of doing the exact same thing you did. Pointing it out is now back talk? I made a mistake, but I'm not stupid. If you don't trust your training Didi, then I don't know what to tell you," Payal said softly, getting to her feet, "I'm sorry I messed up. Good night."

She turned to leave and saw Dia standing in the doorway. She gave her a watery smile, and Dia patted her arm affectionately. Dia walked into the room.

"I hate to say it, but she's right Didi," Dia said, coming to sit by Khushi, "You should trust her more. She is after all a grown woman. She hasn't been stupid all these years. Why do you think she'll do something stupid now?"

Khushi sighed, "I don't know."

Dia suddenly frowned at her sister, a light suddenly going on, "Didi, are you jealous?"

Khushi gasped, "Me?! Are you crazy? What do I have to be jealous of?"

Dia laughed, "You are so jealous!"

"I am not!" Khushi denied hotly, turning away from Dia.

"The lady doth protest too much," Dia laughed again, coming over to hug her sister, "You weren't planning on her suddenly acting grown up and talking about meeting a man did you? You wanted to be in the know before she got around to getting serious with men, so you could take your sweet time letting her go right?"

"I do not know what you're on about," Khushi turned away from her, her back straight in defense mode, "Go away."

Dia laughed again. "Didi it's only normal to feel that way. We both know it's not about her character or this village and the gossip mill. She's a good girl, and she's strong. Don't make her unable to come to you with the truth. You need to let this little fish go, and catch the bigger fish."

Khushi looked at Dia in the mirror, biting her lip, "You think I'm being too hard on her?"

"I think she's too hard on herself because she always seeks your approval. Didi, we turned out ok. Trust your heart in this."

She pouted a bit and shoved Dia, "When did you get so smart?"

"I learned from the best," she said, and hugged Khushi. Turning to the door she called, "Payal you can come in now."

"She's not there," Khushi said, turning back to the mirror to brush her hair. She was therefore startled when a shy looking Payal appeared before her in the mirror, and took the brush from her hand. Slowly, with steady hands, she started to run the bristles through Khushi's hair.

They were all silent a while as Payal did her sister's hair. "Don't freak out when I tell you who it was."

Dia jumped at that, "Oh now you have to tell us who this man is!"

"So?" Khushi asked, a bit of trepidation in her voice, knowing she wasn't going to like the answer.

Taking a deep breath and looking from one sister to the other with eyes full of excitement, she said the name softly. Dia gasped and Khushi just looked confused.

"You wandered off with Akash Rathore?!" Dia all but shouted.

"Shhh!" Payal hushed her, looking intently at Khushi whom it seemed was frozen in place as she stared back at her sister.

"Oh my good God," was all she could say, "Oh my God." Khushi felt her stomach roil.

HOPE YOU ENJOYED!!!! J

Uzii thumbnail
This is such a wonderful story I don't know why ppl aren't commenting i really really liked it khusi is in love with some other guy n arnav is interested in Dia so how they will end up together.
Ezther thumbnail

PART 6:

Khushi tossed and turned as she lay in bed, unable to catch even a wink of sleep after Payal and Dia had left. It was frightening to even imagine what Payal was saying. She was not nave, she knew there was more than this man, Akash was saying. He was trying to impress her sister? He was telling her how best to tackle her final semester and how she would have a place with his firm as soon as she was done, seeing as she was topping her class. They had talked about mundane things and that was what worried her. People like Akash Rathore didn't open up unless they were trying to get something out of the situation...like trust. In that wise, they gained information about you.

What would she do now? Her sister was taken by the novelty of the whole thing. A man as affluent and as prominent as Akash Rathore, cornering her and taking her away in front of people from his class, as though he were making a statement. Those girls would no doubt think she was Akash's passing fancy and once they got back to the big city, he would forget her and they would have another shot. And there was nothing she could do about it. At least she had not said they exchanged phone numbers, because she would have burst a vein or something. Dia had kept nudging her not to say anything foolish. All of a sudden she wished this wedding would come and go quickly so that these people would return to their lives and Payal could leave for Pune and never have to meet with this man again. But what guarantee was there? He was wealthy enough to drive the few hours to Pune and stay a while, just to see her. She would have to have a talk with her baby cousin. She could not afford another mishap in their lives. Things were finally beginning to look up and take shape. She could not take another hit. She just couldn't.

In the early hours of the morning, she finally fell asleep, her mind still very much troubled by the night's events.

"Didi! Oh Didi!"

From beyond the door, she heard her name. Payal? Khushi stirred in her sleep, her eyes slowly fluttering open. She took in the sparse but colorful interior of her room, just before she turned to glance at the wall clock. As her eyes registered that it was almost eight in the morning, she threw back the covers and jumped out of bed.

"Aari hoon!" she called as she rushed into the bathroom.

Gosh, she never overslept! This was not good. She would be behind on the day's chores! The fields, she thought, panicking a bit. Harvest began today, and it was today of all days that she overslept! Damn this Akash Rathore and the blasted incident from last night. After a quick shower and a quick change of clothes, she ran down to the huge sitting area which was clean, but spotted really worn chairs arranged in the middle, in such a way that it took up quite some space to make up for the lack of other furniture.

"Why did you let me oversleep?!" she barked at Dia and Payal, who were laying out breakfast.

"You looked like you could use it," Dia shrugged, going back to what she was doing.

"Masi, you too?" she turned to the older woman.

"Dia is right. You have been doing too much in this last week. Not to worry, Nahar came over and he is with the workers now."

As usual, the mention of Nahar brought a tinge to Khushi's face. She positively glowed whenever his name was mentioned. Dia always teased her about her uncontrollable blushing, saying if only hearing his name could make her blush like this, imagine what would happen on the wedding night! She swore sometimes that Khushi was the proverbial village belle, just with more smarts than most. Payal giggled from across the table, while Khushi sat at the head of it. That had become the norm at Masi's insistence. She was head of the family now, Masi had said at the time, and she ought to act as such.

"I think we will have a great harvest this year," Masi continued, as if she had not seen Khushi's face.

"Me too," Payal said, round a mouthful of buttered bread. "I'm just glad I'm almost done. Then you can have all the help you need."

"Acha, eat up quickly so you can go help your sister," Masi said to them.

Dia snorted, "No way am I getting under that sun. If my skin burns, I might as well kiss my gig with Limar Skincare goodbye."

Masi shook her head, muttering under her breath, but Khushi intervened. "It's okay Masi, she has to work na?"

"We don't see any of the proceeds of that job. Does she send anything home? Yet we send her something when it's you who needs it the most!"

"Masi!" Payal gasped.

Dia just glared at her but Masi turned up her nose and went back to buttering a slice of bread for Khushi, "Eat. You will need your strength."

"Dia," Khushi looked at her apologetically.

Khushi looked apologetically at Dia who wiped her mouth clean, threw her napkin on the table and stormed off.

"What was the need to say all that Masi? She does her best," Khushi said to Masi who frowned at her.

"You do not see what I see. I know she is not bad, but a little hard work might be good for her. And Payal helps you in spite of her upcoming exams, so why can't she help too? You let her get away with too much."

"Masi!" Khushi said with firmness in her voice, "Enough. Dia does what she can and I am okay with it. Please do not aggravate her. She is only her for a few days so can we all just get along?"

Masi shrugged but said nothing more. Everyone's appetite was effectively ruined but Masi insisted no one left the table until all the plates were clean. Payal and Khushi had gone up to Dia's room to pacify her before going out into the fields. The smell of earth and corn being harvested filled the air. It wasn't long before she spotted him, his shirt off, directing the men on how to go about the harvesting of potatoes and carrots so as not to lose too much of the produce. It was after all, now a mechanized farming system she was running.

"Nahar!" she called.

He turned, his face immediately lighting up at the sound of her voice, giving her a suggestive wink. His large frame sat atop the tractor.

"How's my pyaari Lalli this morning?" he jumped down from the truck and enveloped her in a bear hug.

She squealed as he lifted her off the ground and swung her around, "Put me down Nahar!" she hissed, "You're making a scene."

"Of course I am," he said, dropping a kiss to her forehead, "They should all remember you belong to someone already."

She blushed at his brazen declaration. It was true. Nahar was brash and very forward. It was his loud and rambunctious self that had in the beginning, infuriated her. Now, she was more amused by it, though it was a tad embarrassing, but she guessed she would have to live with it. This was after all, Nahar, reformed street thug and now, pseudo-police of their village. Nothing happened without his say so, or his dissent.

"How was your performance? I hear it was all the rave," he said, coming to Payal and ruffling her head, causing Payal to wrinkle her nose playfully. She skipped out of his reach when he tried to swat her.

"I was easily the best," she said haughtily, "I mean, I was compared to Madhuri Dixit"

"Aare wah!" he said, flicking his hand as a pure village hunk would, "I should clean out my shot gun so no one will try to steal you away when we're not looking."

He watched a look pass between Khushi and Payal, but ever the smart man, Nahar pretended not to notice. He would talk to Khushi later, because he was so perfectly attuned to her that he could tell what the statement had inspired in her, was not a good feeling. He had after all been dating her for almost four years now. He wished she would just give her consent. He was more than able to take care of her and her sisters, would make sure that they were married off in style, as was Khushi's biggest dream. She herself wanted a low key wedding, but his mother was having none of that. She was getting impatient too. While she was grateful to Khushi for turning her son's life around, she wanted grandchildren yesterday too. She was the one mounting pressure on Khushi to say yes already. It amused him no end to watch them bicker whenever Khushi came over to visit. It was difficult to think of her not laying beside him every night, even after all this time, but he would wait. Good things came to those who waited.

"You won't have to Bhai," Payal said confidently, "You need not bring out that gun."

"Good girl. Now run along both of you," he shoved Khushi playfully, "We men have work to do."

"But who's going to..." Khushi started to protest.

"Khushi," he said in that exasperated way that always caused her to smile, as it did now, "You didn't expect that with me around, you will stand and work in this hot sun, did you?"

She blushed a little, knowing full well he knew she loved it when he was protective of her like this, "Theek hai Nahar. Jaa ri hoon. Paar..."

"Haan haan janti hoon," he said brushing her off as he knew, "I won't over work myself and I won't stay under the sun too long." When she raised her brow, he said in an exaggerated grumble, "And I won't start a fight. Now go!"

Giggling to herself, she grabbed Payal's hand and they went to sit under the dais that overlooked the farm where they could see all that was happening. He always somehow managed to start a fight with one of her workers.

He was her man, Khushi thought, the man she had grown to love with all her heart. Unknown to her, her face had taken on a dreamy look. His back was turned to them as he resumed directing the young man driving the tractor on how best to position it so that the tractor didn't end up damaging the crops. The muscles on his back bunched and relaxed as he moved, his full head of hair tossed in the cool wind that gave reprieve from the harsh heat of the sun. He had not been the easiest nut to crack, but it had been worth it. He was a man any woman would be proud to have as a husband, if you were able to get past his colorful past, which she had. He was her future, all things being equal.

"Didi, you know you could say yes and marry the man instead of dreaming about him all the time," Payal said, her brow raised at her sister's dreamy puppy love expression.

Khushi looked caught for a second, then blushing, slapping Payal playfully on her arm, "Then you could put him out of his misery and bring home that reading partner of yours so we can marry you off with style."

Payal gasped and looked horrified, "Anil is just my friend Didi! Don't go giving me ideas."

"Mhmm," Khushi said knowingly, "If I didn't know any better I would let it go. You should invite him over after your graduation. You know, so he can meet your family."

Payal stopped and frowned at that, looking pensively at Khushi who feigned not knowing her sister was staring at her openly, "This is because of Akash isn't it?"

Khushi sighed and turned to face her, "Gudiya listen to me. I only want you to be happy...I'm not saying it is unthinkable that this man...Akash...could genuinely be interested in you but...I just don't want you building castles in the air because he gave you the time of day once. He will go back to his life soon. What happens to you then? Do you understand where I am coming from?"

Looking a little pensive and somewhat disappointed, Payal nodded. She did see where her sister was coming from. It was only one night of talking after all.

"I don't want to see you get hurt Payal. You're my darling Gudiya, and I might have to kill that man if he hurt you."

Payal smiled, "Well like you said, it was only one conversation."

Khushi smoothed down Payal's hair, a sad smile adorning her lips. Of course she wanted someone grand and eligible for her sister, but the Rathores? That was a whole other world from theirs, and she would selfishly have her sister in a safe and stable man's home, than in one where she might not have a say should things go awry.

They turned back to watch the harvesting going on with a sense of accomplishment. They had done everything possible to make sure that the harvest was good. She had constructed an irrigation system that brought water to the farm to keep the plants cool and healthy. It was an amazing sight.

Dia stood on her balcony, watching the whole process. It had been about an hour since the whole process began and she had to say, Khushi had done a wonderful job. It was not that she didn't support Khushi. As a matter of fact she actually had begged Khushi to stop sending her money, but her older cousin had insisted, saying she didn't want her begging anyone for money or scrimping just to get by, worse still, compromising her chastity. She smiled at the last thought. If only Didi knew that was long gone. But her sister didn't have to know that. Better for her to keep believing what she wanted to.

She turned and glanced at her phone which was next to her where she sat, perched on the railing. She should call him...after all she was the one who had over reacted...right? Dia thought of her boyfriend now...her Ajay Malhotra. He was one of the reasons she was always happy to go back to Mumbai. She had never had any interest in modeling, but he had introduced her to modeling. She had gone to audition for an acting gig as a back up dancer, thanks to years of dancing with Khushi Di. It was something to tide her over, seeing as her fashion degree was not yet paying the bills. There happened to be a modeling shoot going on in the same building but on different floors. She had gotten off on the wrong floor and gotten in line for the shoot. However, Ajay had walked past and she had been unable to understand the other girls suddenly jumping to attention when he walked past. He must have heard her question to the girl beside her, asking who he was. Turning to her, he came and stood before her, scrutinizing her. Unfazed, she looked at him with questioning eyes, holding his gaze and making no move to stand up or suck up to him. He had smiled then, and asked her to come with him.

More than a little confused, she had gone in, conscious of the other girls giving her envious looks. It was then she had found out she was in the wrong place. She had turned to leave but he had managed to discourage her from leaving, and convinced her to try out.  She had been a natural, after the photographer had given her directions on what they were going for. The rest had been history. She had had to give away some jobs after that, just so it didn't seem like she was given undue advantage because she was dating him. He had been her first, and after two years, he was talking marriage. She loved the limelight, she made no excuses for it, but she was all of a sudden not so sure what that meant for her career and had picked a fight with him, before running back to Chandigarh. She wasn't taking his calls, nor was she replying his texts. She wasn't sure what to tell him.

Her musings were disturbed by the dust clouds that were rising toward the road which led only to Gupta haveli. They rarely had visitors, and all the workers had arrived, so who could it be this late in the afternoon? She put her hand over her eyes to shield it from the sun and get a better look. However, her questions were intensified as she watched a sleek, black Mercedes Benz glide up the gravelly road to the haveli.

Who in the world is that? They didn't know anyone in Chandigarh who had a car like that...unless...

She watched in fascination as the driver's door opened, and none other than Akash Rathore alighted from the car. Just as she was swallowing up that bit of information, the passenger door opened, and he got out. What in the hell was Arnav Singh Raizada doing here?! That too with Akash Rathore?! Could it be?...Did they come for... Oh she had to warn her sisters!

She dashed out of her room and down the stairs, through the door that led to the backyard from where the farmlands stretched. Grabbing a dupatta from the line, she covered up her skin and ran into the fields, past very surprised workers.

"Khushi Didi!" she called, "Payal!"

Her sisters turned very surprised and curious gazes at her. Dia in the farm lands? What miracle brought that on?

"Dia slow down, you'll fall," Khushi called as Dia stumbled on some plants.

"You won't guess who's here!" she exclaimed as she climbed the dais, helped up by her sisters.

"Well who is? Must be really important for you to come out into the fields," Payal said, teasing her sister.

Dia gave her a smug look, "The visitor isn't for me Gudiya. It's for you."

"Me?!" Payal exclaimed in confusion, "Why me? I'm not expecting anyone."

"Try Akash Rathore," Dia said, her smirking face telling both sisters who now stared at her like she had suddenly grown three heads and a tail that she was not joking. If she said he was here, he really was here.

She whipped around to grab Khushi's hand, "Didi I had nothing to do with this. I didn't invite him here. You have to believe me. Didi?!"

She shook a frozen Khushi who was looking beyond the two of them. They both turned to see Masi waving at them from the verandah, motioning them to come to the house.

"Of course I believe you Gudiya. Chalo," she said, leading the way.

Just as they were about to go when Nahar appeared in front of them, "Kahan jaa ri hoon aap logon ko?"

"Mehman aari hoon," Khushi said woodenly, "I have to go see what they want."

"From the bank?" he asked point blank.

Khushi's eyes flew to his, "No, not them."

"Toh kaun?" he asked, as Dia and Payal moved past them to give them privacy.

"Randir Rathore saahab ka beta," Khushi said, looking away.

"Akash? Kyun?" he was a little surprised but he wouldn't allow even Akash mess with his family.

"Payal," she said weakly.

He paused, his eyes searching her face which had lost its early morning luster, "Is that bad? You want me to send him away?"

She looked up at him gratefully for a second, but then shook her head, "It is best I see what he wants, then we'll know what to do."

"A man leaving the comfort of his home to go to a girl's house can only mean one thing."

"Dehk te," she said, squeezing his hand for support, before turning to leave.

She knew he watched her carefully as she walked away from him. Knowing Nahar, she wouldn't put it past him to come in after her. She hoped he would hold on before he did. This was something she would have to handle alone. She entered the house in time to hear his voice, even before she saw him.

"No thank you, we're okay," he said to Masi who offered them a tall glass of chilled lemonade.

Masi ignored him, "Visitors do not refuse courtesy," she said softly.

Payal and Dia stood in the kitchen, peeping into the living room. She joined them, sizing up the men. She knew just the one, so who was the other? She knew she had seen him at the wedding, but well, she wasn't there to know who was who. Taking a calming breath, she squared her shoulders and walked past them into the living room area, watching the two men rise to their feet as she entered. They both dwarfed her badly, was her first thought.

"Good morning Mr. Rathore," she said softly, coming to stand before them.

"Good morning Miss Gupta," the man she knew to be Akash said.

"Miss Gupta," the other man said with a nod of his head in her direction.

Khushi turned to look at him and was immediately stopped by the slate grey eyes that regarded her in open curiosity, as if sizing her up. That voice...Good Lord it reminded her of Amitabh Bachchan. But was he sizing her up? The nerve of this man! She stared at him until his eyes came back to her face.

"Ho gaye?" she asked with a raised brow.

The corner of his mouth quirked upward in a small smile, and she knew he had just concluded a thought in his mind. He was not the least bit fazed that she had caught his appraisal of her. She shrugged and motioned for them to sit.

Akash smiled, loving this family already, "This is my friend, Arnav Singh Raizada."

"How can I help you?" she asked politely.

Akash cleared his throat, "I'm here about Payal. Your younger cousin."

"Has she done something wrong?" Khushi asked, fearing the direction this was going in already.

"On the contrary Miss Gupta," he said, sitting forward in his chair to indicate his respect for her. Without  batting an eyelid, he continued, "I've come to announce my interest in her."

"Ji?" Khushi asked, not believing what she was hearing.

"If you will excuse my forwardness, I would like to make her my wife."

The audible gasp from behind them caused all eyes to turn toward the kitchen where Payal stood in the doorway, her face white as a sheet.

"Hello Payal," he said smoothly, as though he had not just dropped a bomb on all of them.

HOPE YOU ENJOYED IT!!!! J