SS 57 Common Love - Page 11

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

blue5sky thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago
Ikr tell me about it living in a country where you don't a holiday on our important festivals. Trams continental marriages and trans time zone poojas   😛.

Keeping a part of your identity and culture is a lot more difficult but completely worth your time when see kids understand and participate nahi??

Poor Amma Nisha my heart goes out to her. You sketch her beautifully!

Sri I really loved what you wrote! I remember my thatha chuckling and riling us with his wobbly smile " Enna di inda band livestrong it must be live simple and yennaku get me a band that says dignity always"!!
He continues to go strong with all his stories and an every day yoga session with any great grand kid that he can grab at 5 in the morning. 😆Edited by blue5sky - 8 years ago
putti77 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
One more super update..
Akka n Amma's talk...
Baldie's monologue about sumo gal...
Ranjan talks with Akka...

Everyone thinks couple will have only one baby... Nobody knows the future other than us...
😆 😆
jaschick thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: Nisha0604

OMG!! I had an insanely busy day yesterday, Tuesday night I realized Wed was Saraswati Pooja, I scrambled to get a portion of the food cooked early morning and make the arrangements, the all employee meeting was in the morning, I got to work 15 minutes late.

I had a lunch date with a friend at Noon, that was set up a month ago, I didnt know was on Saraswati Pooja, ended up having a coke and chatting with her

Parent Teacher conference was at 4:00 PM, i had marked my calendar for 4:20, so the 2nd grade teacher rushed through it from 4:20 to 4:30

I had signed up to volunteer at the school from 6-8 PM selling "spirit wear" (tee shirts with school logo) also without realizing its a festival day, I wrote to the PTA parent and asked her if I could move it up, so I could do it from 4:30-6:30 and did that until 6:30

Flew home, finished making kheer and vada and rest of the meal, prayed, offered, a couple friends came by, we ate and wound up for the night.

Its hard to be a religious Iyer in America I am telling you... sigh!!!

that's exactly what I suspected that u will be tied up between kids and Pooja. I was running around like that yesterday night. Did Pooja and prayer with kids at 9pm 🥱. 
So true - difficult to keep up with daily lives and also take care of religious stuff here. Or we should plan to take off during the religious holidays to keep our sanity !!!

Amidst all this, you have a mahakaviyam in making ... Kudos to you. 👏
Take a breather during weekend. 
Edited by jasminechick - 8 years ago
jyothi_cool thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Nisha how do you manage to be a super woman 

Amazing update nisha I just loved it.. 

It's so true that a lot of people forget humanity tats the biggest tragedy of the world today... 

I so wish Periappa gets to see Nivi

Loved shubangs monologue tat was just tooo cute 
Ashu25 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Shinyyy
Mera cute sa balll!!!! 
He is tooo cuteee
Nisha0604 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Jas

Amma is not without her flaws, she wants to be able to focus only on her kids, she doesnt feel super charitable all the time u know
She is dignified and mature, so she doesnt throw a fit, I know some women in their 60s that kicked their FIL or MIL out

So not everybody does the right thing

Amma does her duty well, of being a good care giver, but she also nurtures tremendous guilt that she has denied many things to her daughters.

She is not the regular mother either, she has career ambitions too that never materialized. She is not the type to bask in the glory of Appa's achievements

U can even call it "ego" if u like

I thought, it would be a good idea to have  a "strong" woman who is also playing the role of a selfless caregiver

She didnt kick Periappa out because she wanted a Ph D. She continued to care for him as its the right thing to do, but yes, she does grieve for the things she didnt do or did not achieve
taramira thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Nisha0604

OMG!! I had an insanely busy day yesterday, Tuesday night I realized Wed was Saraswati Pooja, I scrambled to get a portion of the food cooked early morning and make the arrangements, the all employee meeting was in the morning, I got to work 15 minutes late.

I had a lunch date with a friend at Noon, that was set up a month ago, I didnt know was on Saraswati Pooja, ended up having a coke and chatting with her

Parent Teacher conference was at 4:00 PM, i had marked my calendar for 4:20, so the 2nd grade teacher rushed through it from 4:20 to 4:30

I had signed up to volunteer at the school from 6-8 PM selling "spirit wear" (tee shirts with school logo) also without realizing its a festival day, I wrote to the PTA parent and asked her if I could move it up, so I could do it from 4:30-6:30 and did that until 6:30

Flew home, finished making kheer and vada and rest of the meal, prayed, offered, a couple friends came by, we ate and wound up for the night.

Its hard to be a religious Iyer in America I am telling you... sigh!!!

Me too Nisha. Had a campaign kick off to orgnize at work then back to back meetings. my niece is visiting from Portland, rushed to pick her up from the mall..a  detour of even one km seems like being stuck in traffick for half an hour when you are in a rush. ran home, made halwa poori and chana for kanya pooja. didnt have change (I usually send prasad to my freinds and five bucks each to their children) sent my husband to the gas station to get change. did pooja, after a mad traesure hunt to look for the aarti book. ate prasad, and then did the rounds of dropping off the prasad to five freinds (they expect at least 8 pooris each. can you imagine especially when I simply hate making pooris!) came back at 9:30 PM and smply crashed!  
putti77 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Nisha

Liked your post on Amma.. It is so realistic to show grey side of every character in SoSY...

Errantnomad thumbnail
Some people like this chithappa of ii and vandu's and people like ambala Anna are able to get away shirking of their responsibilities.
Where are these people on the scale of balance and checks on life.
And when and whom will they be answerable.
Not during periappa's lifetime atleast or not until bala's parents life time .
May be when their own health is flailing. But realising then or atoning then , what good does it to Amma/ Appa or vandu/ Bala.
Sometimes justice isn't good enough . We can only pray that the goodwill we create by our good deeds tides us by when our time comes.

That's why I think parents love for grandchildren is special as they are able to pour affection and time on their grand kids than they were able to on their own children as they were too busy running around in their lives to make things work for their family.
There's a lot of strength in people who are able to sacrifice themselves in that order.

Awesome update . 👏
Errantnomad thumbnail
Prats, hello. Will you come and say a hi please?.