Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

atominis thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago
I disagree that all critical comments are dismissed.

Never.

The most criticised comment here was of a user saying women work and drive only in capitals. THAT is the one which led to discussion on generalisations by those who do not live here. Apparently that user is not even of Indian origin.

And what's one supposed to do if Indians and Arabs are spoken of in same vein?

You have to face it why countries are even being discussed here.
AllBlacks1 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Its Indian media that these "outsiders" know a "LOT" abt India. 
BBC or the other outside media paints India in black n white. Either all gr8, colorful, cheerful, progressive OR worst ever, hopeless, filthy, conservative. 

India is too big for them to get their heads around it. 

As I said b4 abt an elephant and 4 blind men. 

Edited by AllBlacks1 - 9 years ago
TheRowdiest thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
a perfect song for some NRIs and ABCDs who love Bashing India all the time 
it says 

Does not matter if one is Pardesi but one should Not disrespect his/her Native Country 

Neither should one wish bad for the country whose land and resources he/she is living on 

basically love ur Maater bhoomi and Karam bhoomi 

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcSDdJKoV-c[/YOUTUBE]
Intrepida thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: -Hadia-

No offense but she is right here ...Indian people pays more attention to fair people then the one with dark skin tone

actually even east asians, like koreans, japanese and other asian cultures prefer lighter skin! even in african people, lighter tones are prefered, this is seen all around the world any where, where lighter groups of people ruled for generations, the preferred skin tone became that color so i think that would rule in half or most of the world!!! 
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: TheRowdiest

Does not matter if one is Pardesi but one should Not disrespect his/her Native Country 

Neither should one wish bad for the country whose land and resources he/she is living on 

Personally for me, every country is someone's home. No matter how bad the circumstances are, someone still has their heart attached to it. Every country merits respect, irrespective if you have ties or not. Criticism is not the same as bashing though. Constructive criticism is rooted in the hope for change and improvement. I wish that people wouldn't assume everything as bashing. 

------------  

@Intrepida

You are right. The desire for fair skin isn't an Indian problem. It is spread all across colonial Asia. 

I've met several Chinese women who have similar narratives, of being told not to be out in the sun, advised to carry parasols all the time to prevent tanning. China and Japan both have rampant sexual harassment in public transit too. There is a growing feminist movement in China trying to address these challenges. However, the communist regime is very autocratic and is successful in quashing criticism they deem anti-national. 

The African narrative is slightly different though. The preference for fair skin wasn't out of superiority. Light skinned mullatoes could pass off as white and enjoy freedom and privileges that slaves could not. That is why during the slavery era, many biracial Africans tried their best to look and act whiter. The black community itself didn't embrace them. There was a perception that such mullatoes were race traitors sacrificing their identity for comfort. That is where the tragic mullato trope comes from. African society rejected them for not fitting in. Once discovered, white society rejected them too. 

After slavery "acting white" was a means of fitting in. It was easier for them to get employed, get treated better if they "whitewashed" themselves. A part from that there was the Harlem Renaissance that created a lot of pride in African culture and heritage. In modern USA we are seeing another resurgence in black identity with them going back to ethnic names, with darker black celebrities gaining prominence and even biracial women like Zendaya identifying and aligning with their dark skinned heritage. 

Of course this is the "American" narrative. The narrative in Europe like that of the moors, South America and within Africa are varied. 

The bottom line is that preference for fair skin is less of a "personal" preference and more of "racism". It is an attitude ingrained by white rulers who tried to convince people their light skin made them superior. It is an insidious and dangerous perception that creates challenges and rifts within colonial societies. If we truly want to shed our colonial shackles we need to change this preference for "whiteness" that they embedded in society. 

Indians take great pride in their history and culture. Like many African groups, it is time we started taking pride in our ethnicity and racial identity as well. A lot of indigenous groups, especially those South of the Aravalli range were dark skinned. Modern India spans wide including several ethnic and racial identities. The skin tones range from a spectrum of almost white to almost black. We need to embrace and celebrate all. 

Part of that step is to get cinema, television and media to reflect the diversity of actual Indians and not just focus on the "fairer" ones. 
atominis thumbnail

Originally posted by: Intrepida

actually even east asians, like koreans, japanese and other asian cultures prefer lighter skin! even in african people, lighter tones are prefered, this is seen all around the world any where, where lighter groups of people ruled for generations, the preferred skin tone became that color so i think that would rule in half or most of the world!!!

She's a Pakistani. So is another member who had said only women in capitals work.

Even in cricket WC controversy they made fun of Indian fans but easily forgot how Pakistani fans also broke TV sets, burnt effigies of players and sent them bangles.

One would gladly discuss the issue at hand, provided the discussion was fair and not selective bashing and baseless generalisations. Here's another person giving justifications on USA but easily forgetting that India is also a diverse country with vast population which cannot be stereotyped so easily.

We are not kids who cannot differentiate between genuine criticism, debate and outright bashing.

If you counter a stupid generalisation, you are called blind patriot or asked to Google to know about your own country's matters! Yeah! We who lived and worked here all life, don't know about our own country. But these guys do! 😆 And they actually believe an actor could be rejected merely on basis of colour even though many dusky actors succeeded in the industry.
Last heard fairness creams and home remedies to become fairer are popular all over South Asia. These brands like LOReal whitewash or lighten almost all ambassadors. So why are they calling out to one country instead of discussing larger issue if they are indeed concerned about actual issue?
Atomicbomb thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
just some facts, 
you know 'Fair and Lovely' is owned by global company UniLever. A British-Dutch company

The same company that owns 'Dove' that have those beauty commercials to teach women to love themselves the way they are.

If they are truly concerned 'Uni Lever' would have pulled 'Fair and Lovely' off the shelves years ago

They don't because its all about money.

Freida should talk about that.👏
Edited by Atomicbomb - 9 years ago
.Iconoclast. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
As racism wanes, colorism persists. It's true everywhere. This year's Academy Awards is an example. Nandita Das, Smita Patil, Konkana Sen, Priyanka Chopra and many others have talked about colorism in Bollywood. Top models like Diandra Soares, Noyonika Chatterjee were rejected many times before they made it big. Few success stories doesn't make it alright. 

I believe Frieda Pinto's claim. She might be a hypocrite, bad actress, unfit for casting couch...still she has every right to voice her opinion about this bias.
Is she talking about lead role or flowerpot role in Bollywood?

She does flowerpot roles in Hollywood. 

AllBlacks1 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
[QUOTE=NigelMolesworth]As racism wanes, colorism persists. It's true everywhere. This year's Academy Awards is an example. Nandita Das, Smita Patil, Konkana Sen, Priyanka Chopra and many others have talked about colorism in Bollywood. Top models like Diandra Soares, Noyonika Chatterjee were rejected many times before they made it big. Few success stories doesn't make it alright. 

I believe Frieda Pinto's claim. She might be a hypocrite, bad actress, unfit for casting couch...still she has every right to voice her opinion about this bias.
[/QUOT
😆 By that logic, every1 wud be just talking and nobody will be listening. 😆

There so many underprivilaged ppl by birth.. who r doing gr8 in their fields and leading by examples, inspiring others... and sending positive msgs. Some aussie guy was born without any arm and leg. Some midgets, down syndrome ppl, and u can make the list as long it can go.. 

There r fat ppl who get role designed for them to make ppl laugh. There r skiny ppl who get the same treatment. We r all different and we gonna get diff. treatment. 

As a Boss, I know who I wanna empoly for the particular job. Doesnt make me racist and "any"ist. 

Let us all cry and raise an issue why we did we fail in this or that area of life. Therez always an issue behind it. The best one is "My parents" or that "I dont have parents". Big issues.. 

Lets all talk and keep our ears closed.. coz thats an issue as well. 😆 Too much noise.. 
Edited by AllBlacks1 - 9 years ago