Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Cutiepie_Rani thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 9 years ago

Originally posted by: atominis

Subha

There are many topics on this in Suggestions and Comments section.

But it seems the admin himself is an NRI and doesn't care.

My friend had once compiled list of India bashing threads and posted links as proof but even then mods took no action, in another forum we were part of on IF.

It's ridiculous. Often I have not responded but simply hit Report button but it's been useless as no action was taken.

The only times a mod acts promptly it's when a particular religion or country is in discussion. Or even appeasing fan groups is more crucial than tackling country, populace bashing threads.

India Forums is India only in name. 🤢

Vijay ji, btw, is not an NRI. He's in India. 

I don't think you understand the point of 'India' forums. I've read your conversations in that topic in the suggestions and comments forum. Look, honestly you or I can't dictate who will visit the site. Many more facilities are available to those outside of India. Plus in India you have a thousand ways to keep up with your favorite shows, etc - you have word of mouth, you have many people you can discuss with, you have many re-runs, life in India basically to sum it all up is social. In other countries, that is not the case. Hence you see more NRIs visiting this site to keep up and discuss their favorite shows. Its also easier for NRIs to have access to the Internet more often, depending on where in India you live in. The 'India' in India-forums is there because this entire site is based on the country itself - Bollywood, INDIAN shows (with a few American), INDIAN reality shows - pretty much the theme is India. How can you control users? If you make the language settings to Hindi you'll lose over half the population here because not everyone can read/write that language. That's highly unfair. You're making it limited to those in India alone. You see less people from India visiting here because of restrictions or simply because they don't feel the need to. There's so much social life in India already that people find out about their favorite shows their their circle of family/friends. In other countries you have to rely on website/forums. Also India's show times don't always coincide with international show times. So people come to check updates on sites like India-Forums because the show is already aired in India. You have to understand the purpose of these forums. Its not limited to only NRIs or only India-based individuals. How would you suggest the admin to bring in more members from India?
Atomicbomb thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
whilst I agree somewhat with preference of skintone she is talking crap. 
she was a model and channel V host before slumdog millionaire so its not like she has not gotten any work or people have a problem with her skintone. 

she was NOT  plucked from no where but already quite established in India

She needs to be truthful to herself. 

She doesnt want to do bollywood movies because she may not want to dance, sing and be arm candy which a number of bollywood movies involve

She has been approached and turned down films and opted for Hollywood which she is not getting much work either. 

if she is facing problems why has Bipasha Basu, Rani Mukherjee who are the same tone succeeded. They wanted too

freida doesn't want that. She seems to want more art house films and things Kangana, and Vidya do and Bollywood doesnt really focus on in Mainstream movies

Vidya is almost the same tone as her. 

Edited by Atomicbomb - 9 years ago
Life_Is_Dutiful thumbnail

Comedy Crew

Originally posted by: Cutiepie Rani

Um that is not true. Don't generalize all NRIs because not all are that way. Some, maybe. But all, not at all. It is certain that they will have different viewpoints compared to those born and raised in India. But that does not mean they will believe everything against India. Truth is that those of us that were born and raised in a country other than India will never really understand the country as it is understood by those born and brought up in India. That's true, I agree. But I love our country despite being born and raised in the US. But its not a perfect country and neither is America. Both have their flaws. Neither is perfect. 

On topic, it is true that skin tone plays a factor sometimes. I know so many 'auntie's' here make comments about skin color...'She's dark...he's dark..." etc etc. Surely has a factor. But if she got rejected because of her 'dark skin tone' what about those actresses who have naturally 'dark skin color.' You have to have the talent too...you can't agree that you're not accepted because you're not 'Indian enough'. That is lame. She had potential when she acted in Jai Ho. But after that she's gone downhill. Sweetheart, you must know how to act in order to be accepted into the industry. The likes of Rani, Kajol, and others know the 'ACT' in actress and therefore have been very successful during their prime despite not being the ideal 'fair and skinny.' 

I agree not all NRIs are india haters.I am an NRI myself,staying in USA since 2012.
I am well aware of all the problems in USA so I get pissed off when some NRIs here bash india as if their own country is the greatest country with no problems at all.

If Americans criticize their country then we Indians too criticize our country.We are not intolerant to criticism as we too criticize our country but we hate it when people from other countries bash our country based on their limited/half baked knowledge.Just yesterday,i read a news about a 1 year old kid shot dead by his 3 year old brother.I can't call all American parents careless and irresponsible because of this incident.

Even Americans here hate Indians bashing their country so how can they expect Indians to keep quiet when they are happily bashing the country?

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
@Genie 
I'm not denying that Freida is not credible here. In my experience, it does appear that people seem to be dismissive of "fairness" issue in topics. People seem to be hesitant to accept that it is a deep rooted problem entrenched in both Bollywood and society.  I'm not denying that image and credibility matters as well. My only point is the issue shouldn't be brushed aside simply because the spokesperson is broken. While the first reaction is to dismiss, it isn't unreasonable to try and focus on the "issue" not the "celebrity". 

I'm a big dork though. I reduce everything to "issues". Considering this is "Bollywood" section, there is nothing wrong in the "celebrity" view as long as it doesn't bleed into the issue beyond the section. That is something only each member can decide. 

As for the NRI vs Indians, it is inevitable. They often tend to be two completely different perspectives. One is viewing India from within and one from outside, the image is different. Eventually, hopefully, both sides can come to a consensus. After all to win any war you need both the birds eye view and the view from the trenches. 

Edited by return_to_hades - 9 years ago
Atomicbomb thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: LakshmiMata

Hollywood discriminates as well. Majority of 'successful' actors are probably still white. Neither is a perfect industry. Hollywood is more of a global platform whereas Bollywood is for a regional audience. I don't see the problem cause both industries have exceptions who go against the I'm too dark for this role. 

True  and they white wash roles as 'well that require a person who is not white. 

the' Last Airbender' the characters are not white but the movie made them so. 

Big uproar about it and most fans of the animation rejected the movie

The latest Stark Trek: Edge of Darkness had the villian as Khan who was originally South Asian in ancestry that too was replaced by a white actor. 

There are non white actors in Hollywood many out of work because they dont get cast even when the role requires it. Its just rewritten

Saw a movie about Buddha and they had Keanu Reeves play it is another example
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: .Subha.

Just yesterday,i read a news about a 1 year old kid shot dead by his 3 year old brother.I can't call all American parents careless and irresponsible because of this incident.

But you would be fair in saying USA has a serious gun control problem or say USA needs to better address these tragedies. 

Yes, there are people who want to trash India blindly. That perspective is wrong. But sometimes I feel that criticisms that India has an "X" problem, even if said out of genuine concern, seems to be taken as an attack on India. 

I'm not saying people should not react when people unfairly make generalizations or intentionally bash, but I think we need a slightly more balance before dismissing all critical statements. Perhaps clarify intent before assuming? And yes, I do admit that both sides have to do it. 
atominis thumbnail

Originally posted by: Cutiepie Rani

Vijay ji, btw, is not an NRI. He's in India.

I don't think you understand the point of 'India' forums. I've read your conversations in that topic in the suggestions and comments forum. Look, honestly you or I can't dictate who will visit the site. Many more facilities are available to those outside of India. Plus in India you have a thousand ways to keep up with your favorite shows, etc - you have word of mouth, you have many people you can discuss with, you have many re-runs, life in India basically to sum it all up is social. In other countries, that is not the case. Hence you see more NRIs visiting this site to keep up and discuss their favorite shows. Its also easier for NRIs to have access to the Internet more often, depending on where in India you live in. The 'India' in India-forums is there because this entire site is based on the country itself - Bollywood, INDIAN shows (with a few American), INDIAN reality shows - pretty much the theme is India. How can you control users? If you make the language settings to Hindi you'll lose over half the population here because not everyone can read/write that language. That's highly unfair. You're making it limited to those in India alone. You see less people from India visiting here because of restrictions or simply because they don't feel the need to. There's so much social life in India already that people find out about their favorite shows their their circle of family/friends. In other countries you have to rely on website/forums. Also India's show times don't always coincide with international show times. So people come to check updates on sites like India-Forums because the show is already aired in India. You have to understand the purpose of these forums. Its not limited to only NRIs or only India-based individuals. How would you suggest the admin to bring in more members from India?

The threads Subha and I are talking about are different. Not the one made by me, which you are talking about.

The threads we are talking about specifically relate to bashing and inaction on such racist posts.

Go again there, have a look.

I am not saying who should be on IF and who should not.

I am only talking about bashing and stereotyping a couple of people do. And the lack of action on such posts.

There are few Indians here. It's evident in kind of posts we have. Equating them with Arabs, mocking their English, mocking taste of audience, mocking if Indians call unrelated people as bhaiya or didi, calling all Indian men perverts, all Indian women oppressed victims and whatnot. It goes on.

And some are tired of seeing stupid generalisations here. Tired of trying to clarify without being mocked as a blind patriot or fairyland dweller. Tired of non Indian origin ones also joining bandwagon to bash country and its people.
Tired of mods' inaction on any reports.

What to do then? Either leave the site ourselves? Or ask for action?

We are making a request. Not dictating how things should be here.

Vijay ji might not be an NRI but his site definitely doesn't take concerns of Indians seriously given how our reports and requests are ignored.

I understand point of India forums well. No need to explain. I am not wrong if I wish to see action against BS here or hope this site was conducive and accommodating to those who actually live in India. We don't need special controls, just better action on racist posts would be enough.Edited by atominis - 9 years ago
AllBlacks1 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

But you would be fair in saying USA has a serious gun control problem or say USA needs to better address these tragedies. 

Yes, there are people who want to trash India blindly. That perspective is wrong. But sometimes I feel that criticisms that India has an "X" problem, even if said out of genuine concern, seems to be taken as an attack on India. 

I'm not saying people should not react when people unfairly make generalizations or intentionally bash, but I think we need a slightly more balance before dismissing all critical statements. Perhaps clarify intent before assuming? And yes, I do admit that both sides have to do it. 

Thats not the point though. BW celebs r taking their PR exercize for their own "good'. And tarnish the very serious agenda in the translation. Who r the losing party? 

Thats why it does matter who says it. If I may raise a question here may not get as many likes or reponses as some1 whoz more senior, respected and articulate.. and have friends beyong IF medium.. will ask the same question. 

It does matter whoz asking the question. I dont want a neighbour asking question that I have right to ask to my family. Nope.. Go away. piss off. 
charminggenie thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
@Hadey- If she was the "face" of campaign it would make sense to separate but here she as the celeb is in focus so the diversion is inevitable and sort  of justified. Her take on this issue would be questioned, which like even you did.
On the issue- colourism is big in India- matrimonial advs, North-South divide and many more. But I don;t know if people really deny it , it is very there but problem is white skin  continues to be more of an "aspirational" trait to have, so this discrimination is viewed as an awkward discomfort than a social cause. Or else the govt be banning the content of these ads and the products endorsing it. But they cannot object because then preference is personal and individualistic . So the grey area which prevents concrete steps. 

Unlike say US which actually saw the impact of colour in terms of Civil War ,  India hasn't reached that stage, it's very psychological and social. So the views will always differ and IMO not a very good comparison. 
MrsAkyurek thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

@Genie 
I'm not denying that Freida is not credible here. In my experience, it does appear that people seem to be dismissive of "fairness" issue in topics. People seem to be hesitant to accept that it is a deep rooted problem entrenched in both Bollywood and society.  I'm not denying that image and credibility matters as well. My only point is the issue shouldn't be brushed aside simply because the spokesperson is broken. While the first reaction is to dismiss, it isn't unreasonable to try and focus on the "issue" not the "celebrity". 

I'm a big dork though. I reduce everything to "issues". Considering this is "Bollywood" section, there is nothing wrong in the "celebrity" view as long as it doesn't bleed into the issue beyond the section. That is something only each member can decide. 

As for the NRI vs Indians, it is inevitable. They often tend to be two completely different perspectives. One is viewing India from within and one from outside, the image is different. Eventually, hopefully, both sides can come to a consensus. After all to win any war you need both the birds eye view and the view from the trenches. 

I have been following this post and see myself nod at every line you've written The problem with people on this forum is that they fall prey to ad hominem fallacy. If it crops up, the whole credibility of the argument at hand is lost. I suggest you to check out Quora.com where people gather around and discuss ideas, argue in an unbiased manner, and most importantly, don't use cheap language just for the heck of it like in here. The forum is curated efficiently unlike...