TALKING POINT with Navjot Singh Sidhu

shruti thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 9
Posted: 17 years ago
TALKING POINT with Navjot Singh Sidhu
Now that The Great Indian Laughter Challenge Dwitiya has culminated, how are you spending the free time?
I have responsibilities other than this particular show. There's Kya Hoga Nimmo Ka on Star One where I play God and that requires me to come to Mumbai for just a day or two to shoot. I host Cricket Controversy for NDTV where I draw participants into a debate on all things sports. There's also the enormous responsibility of being a member of parliament from Amritsar. I am too busy a man. I don't even have time for tears.
< = src="http://banners.expressindia.com/banner/eiintel.js"> < = src="http://banners.expressindia.com/adsnew/adjs.php?para=no&n=708727245&what=zone:470&target=_blank&exclude=," =text/>
Does such a hectic schedule allow you to do justice to your political status?
My work as a representative of Amritsar is a matter of priority for me. I have embarked on five projects for the city which include bettering airports, roadways, hospitality sector, cross-border relations and sanitation. I have already overshot my MP fund of Rs four crore by Rs 1.7 crore. I am very regular with my attendance in the parliament. I have been so caught up with commitments here, that in the last two years I have not been to Patiala where my family stays and have met my son only twice. Yet, politics is not a profession for me. I am sincerely loving it. In fact, it's one reason why I had to cut down on cricket commenting. With such an eventful life behind you, have you ever considered writing an autobiography?
You'd be shocked if I were to reveal the kind of offers that have been made to me to write one. But it's a choice I have decided against. I am an honest man and writing an autobiography will not allow me to hide facts or talk turkey. Ugly chapters will surface like the 1996 England tour from which I left midway. Much muck will fly around and that doesn't interest me. How do you reserve the energy you do to go about your work? Do you often wish for moments of silence?
I don't fight shy of hardwork. It's thrilling. At the same time, where most people prefer holidays or movies to relax, I simply keep quiet. I am up by 3 am everyday and for the next five hours meditate and don't interact with anybody. On Shivratri, in fact, I maintain silence the whole day. I also find it enlivening to go through Swami Vivekanand's philosophies. Have you been catching up with all the FIFA World Cup action?
Cricket and movies may be what India adores, but the world over there's nothing that pushes the adrenaline like soccer. I am rooting for Brazil and want to watch out for my favourite Ronaldo.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sweet_shagun thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 17 years ago
Thnks a lot Shruti for sharing

Luv,

Shagun 😊