England v New Zealand

WillSmith456 thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
WORLD CUP, GROUP C, ST LUCIA:
England 30-2 v New Zealand

England made slow progress in the first five overs of their World Cup opener against New Zealand, reaching 12-1 after losing Ed Joyce second ball.

The opener edged a wide James Franklin delivery behind, leaving Ian Bell and Michael Vaughan to negotiate some fine bowling from Franklin and Shane Bond.

England passed James Anderson fit to start despite a broken finger, with Sajid Mahmood and Jon Lewis left out.

New Zealand opted for two spinners, with the start delayed in St Lucia.

LATEST ACTION AS IT HAPPENS (ALL TIMES GMT)

Text us on 84040, email [email protected] or contribute to 606

By Tom Fordyce

9th over: WICKET - Bell ct McCullum b Oram 5, Eng 30-2

Wicket falls

Jacob Oram comes on for Franklin, and it's instant joy for the wobbler - Bell drives loosely at a wide one and McCullum goes high to his right to take the snag.

8th over: Eng 27-1
Bond keeps it tidy, Vaughan nabs a single. It's warm out there already - Bond's floppy hair is plastered to his forehead already. That's the benefit of wearing a black shirt, of course - tremendous at hiding sweaty patches.

From Andrew Scott, TMS inbox: "Come on boys - we've gotta win today. It would be extra special if we did, because I've got an Aussie sitting opposite me supporting New Zealand." Blimey - has it got so bad that Aussies are now supporting Kiwis?

7th over: Eng 26-1
A few of 'em are now frowning - Vaughan strides down the pitch to Franko and clips him behind square for two. He then puts another big stride in and times a sweet straight drive back past the bowler and through Bell's splayed legs for another four.

6th over: Eng 17-1
Nice from Vaughan - he rocks back to a shorter one from Bondo and pulls him high over midwicket for England's first boundary of the tournament. The gaggle are unmoved.

5th over: Eng 12-1
Single to Bell, who's taking a step down the track to counter Franko's angles. Vaughan does the same and takes two down to third man. There's a gaggle of 10 or so female NZ fans in one of the stands who are very much enjoying the attention of the TV cameras. Are they worth it? I'm saying nothing.

From BBC Sport's Martin Gough in St Lucia: "Fifteen minutes after the scheduled start, there are still swathes of empty seats. Almost everyone here is an England fan, so perhaps locals will fill the gaps as the day progresses. The grass bank across from me is the most packed area of the ground, with a disco blasting out Bob Marley."

4th over: Eng 9-1
Maiden from Bond - tidy as you like just outside off. No smiles from the bowler - it's all narrowed eyes and lingering stares. Not that kind of lingering stare, of course.

3rd over: Eng 9-1
Nice angle from Franklin - slanted across the right-handers with a little deviation to monkey with the mind too. Single to Vaughan, another wide too.

From Ben Richards, TMS inbox: "Why is there always a wicket in the first over when you are in the commentary position? Yesterday it was Ireland, today it's England. Was writing my prediction. Now I am hiding under the sheets, like a kid in a thunderstorm." If only I really did have the powers you assume, Ben - I'd be a Betfair billionaire in minutes...

2nd over: Eng 7-1
Ian Bell jogs to the crease, sunscreen smeared all over his nose and lips. Shane Bond's tearing in, and his inswinger's firing well from the off. A couple of wides give England a precious breather. Up in the stands, the Beige Brigade are on their feet - including one wiry fella in a skin-tight catsuit.

1st over: WICKET - Joyce ct McCullum b Franklin 0, England 1-1

Wicket falls

Sweet Nelly Brown - after an opening no-ball, Joyce slashes at a very wide one and feathers the nick behind. England are a wicket down in the blink of an eye - anyone want to re-think their match prediction?

From Ian Melding, via TMS inbox: "NZ to win - England collapse more often than Britney Spears."

1355 GMT: Here come Michael Vaughan and Ed Joyce - and it's James Franklin to open the attack. Big applause from the crowd here in St Lucia.

1343 GMT: Let's have some chat while we're waiting - how do we see this one going? Huge match, of course - win this and you're looking well set for the Super Eights - three wins from six matches would probably see you into the semis. Predictions to the TMS inbox please...

1331 GMT: Stephen Fleming calls correctly - and he sticks England in. So Vaughan and Joyce will be out there in about half an hour, with New Zealand going for two spinners in their attack. We think.

1328 GMT: Here come the skippers for the toss. Those in the know reckon whoever wins the toss will choose to bowl. Let's see...

1315 GMT: Latest chat: we're definitely starting at 1400 GMT. Bingo. Good news for those of you worrying about Michael Vaughan's fitness - he's been jogging around for at least 10 minutes with no sound of twanging, tearing or snapping whatsoever.

1305 GMT: Latest from the middle - after the heavy rain early this morning, there'll be an inspection in 20 minutes. Stay chirpy though - the covers are off, and both sets of players are out there warming up.

1255 GMT: Here we go then - England's opening joust in this year's World Cup. And New Zealand's too, of course. To be fair, my brain's still fried from the madness that was Ireland-Zimbabwe last night - but the heady rush of adrenaline that comes with the chance to watch Jamie Dalrymple and Paul Nixon in action should soon sort that out.

😃

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

kal-el thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
i dont think you should take this from another website an post it here i think thats against the rules but england are 2 down now
Howlarious thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 3
yeah now its 105-3..doing okay..