Geet - Hui Sabse Parayee

Thread3 Maan Proposes Geet Disposes[IMP Update Pg116] - Page 41

jazzerette thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 11 years ago
This content was originally posted by: FeistySoul

Wish I could get a Prince!
All this talk about Prince and Princess is heartening.
An extremely enjoyable light read Jazz.

LOL...who doesn't talk of Princes till a certain age and time. Glad you liked the update!

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

jazerettePMs thumbnail
Networker 1 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
Chapter 30
Character Maketh a Man

(November, 1982...)
(Chandigarh...)

"There was once a home where lived two brothers. Two things couldn't be as different as they were. One a Saint, other an agent of Satan. One immersed in purity, other deep in his liquoir cups. If one preached goodness, other practiced all things vile.

If different were their lives, so was different the treatment they meted out to theor wives. Love, respect and dignity marked the relationship the Saint had with his better half. Bitter was the life of the woman married to the Satan.

She was beaten when he drank, abused when he gambled his way to loses and was ridiculed by all when he would steal and get caught. She was meted every kind of injustice her sister-in-law was sheltered from. Two women in the same house. And the similarities ended there.

A curious soul passing by was intrigued with the dark contrast and dared to seek a solution. The root cause needed to be sought and he set forth for his task.

He met the Satan who had just satisfied his ego by once again belittiling his wife. Why do treat the poor woman so? What is her fault, he asked.

Fault, asked the Satan, I don't know what you are talking about. All I know this is how a woman should be treated.

Who taught you so, the baffled soul asked.

My father, who else - replied the Satan. I have learned from what I have seen him do. He would drink, gamble and enjoy his life. My mother served him, worked for him and got harsh treatment from him. I am his son. I have learnt from him. Saying so the Satan went off to indulge in another sin of his.

The answer perplexed the curious man and he saw the Saint coming home. His wife came out to greet him. He bestowed a sweet smile on her and brought forth a bunch of jasmine strung together. The wife beamed with joy, put the string around her hair and promised the Saint a meal of his choice.

The curious man went up to him and praised his gesture. Sir, he said to the Saint, you treat you wife so well. Who taught you so?

Well, questioned the Saint, I don't know what you are talking about. All I know this is how a woman should be treated.

Who taught you so, the curious soul was eager to know.

My father, who else - replied the Saint. I have learned from what I have seen him do. He would drink, gamble and enjoy his life. My mother served him, worked for him and got harsh treatment from him. I am his son. I have learnt what not to do from him. He showed me what was wrong. I learnt what was right.

The answer stumped the curious soul. He pondered on both the brothers and their answers for a while. And then he smiled. It was so simple after all.

One must choose their own path. The instinct of right and wrong cannot be taught. It needs to be cultivated within our own conscience."

"Is the story over Darjee," Yash asked while barely making an attempt to hide his yawn.

"Yes son it is," Ajaipal said in an even voice. His hooded eyes gave no emotion away as he replied, "You may leave now if you wish."

Tisha mouthed a 'Thank God' and rushed away after Yash.

Amrit stood and went away to work in the kitchen, while Vicky, who was anyways sitting with his back to his father, paused for a second and resumed with his comics.

Ajaipal Singh Khurana was a good judge of character. Rarely ever came an instance where his judgment has been called to question. Therefore, people listened when he spoke.

However, history has proved that great teachers are often ignored in their own homes.

Iqbal walked up and stood before him. "It was a good story Daarjee, but I could not understand it completely," she innocently admitted.

The thing with great men was that they did not seek hoardes of followers listening to them. It is often one student they seek to whom they can pass on their mantle, giving them the satisfaction of giving their best to the society at large.

"Koi nai Iqbal [Doesn't matter Iqbal]," Ajaipal blessed his daughter, "maybe one day you will. You can always come back and ask me if you need." He paused for a moment and spoke again, "and if I am not there you have you Maan veerji to ask."

Ajaipal Singh Khurana did not seek greatness. His benediction was that one student that God had blessed him with.

He had his Maan.

(Chandigarh...)

"Status," she paused for effect, "status is the only true yardstick of a person's worth."

Indira Malhotra looked around the room full of ladies with arrogance.

She knew what she was saying found agreement with everyone present in the room today. These ladies, just like her, belonged to the elite class of population in the society. Therefore, not even a single one of them would disagree with her.

And she hated it immensely when people disagreed with her.

The way she hated her husband.

India was not for her. She did not belong to this under-developed country and its backward ideologies. Her loyalties still lay with the land of the Queen. Just like her forefathers before her. Born and brought up in London, India was a world alien to her.

She did one mistake in her life. She married an Indian tradesman who had come to settle in England. She had assumed that he would now belong to the land she worshiped too.

But you can take an Indian out of India, but never the India out of an Indian. 

It started first with the children. He ruled to send them to India for their education. 
She put her foot down when it came to the choice of school. Only a convent boarding establishment was good enough.

It had now come to the question of their marriage.

This time her children too stood against her. The eldest had chosen a man from Ludhiana for herself. Only his high status stopped Indira from disowning her.

But what pinched her most was the decision of her son. His views were in tandem with his father.

For the last five months, ever since their eldest daughter was married, the Malhotras had resumed residence in India. Chandigarh became their city of living.

Because as far as Indira was concerened, once all her children got married, she would pack her bags back to London. Husband, or no husband, along.

These ladies that swarmed her house right now were mere distractions for her. Indira Malhotra made no friends. Her eyes travelled the length of room and came to settle on a figure clad in cream saree and heavy pearls. This lady was probably the only lady she could consider worth being a friend. She matched Indira in status and class. But it was more fun to watch as a spectator from outside than empathize as a friend on the inside.

And the sour expression on the face of Savitri Swaroop Khurana itched Indira to probe the matter.

(November, 1982...)
(Gurudwara Sahib, Chandigarh...)

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa!!
Waheguru ji ki Fateh!!

The salutation was raised with great gusto by the congregation gathered in Gurudwara Sahib.

Ajaipal folded his palms in reverence and started to make his way outside the premises.

"Chaudhary jee?"

A voice beckoned him from behind and he turned to face a man of about his age standing before him.

"Jee?"

"Sat Sri Akal Chaudhary jee," the man greeted, "you wouldn't know me but are fathers were known to each other. You may have heard of the Malhotra Builders?"

"Yes, ofcourse..."

"It was established by my father," he replied, "I am Deshbir Malhotra."

"Pleased to meet you Malhotra sa'ab," Ajaipal smiled, "I had heard you were settled in London."

"Jee Chaudhary jee," Deshbir answered, "but I have returned to my land five months back. My daughter has been married to a nice boy from Ludhiana. It's my ardent wish now to see the rest of my children married in this country itself."

"A nice thought indeed."

"I have been seeing you in the Gurudwara Sahib every morning and always felt as if I recognize you. Just a few days back someone brought light to your identity and I have been eager to make acquaintance since then. Infact, our wives are already well-acquainted with each other."

"I am afraid I would have to plead ignorance in this regard. I am generally unaware of my wife's socializing."

"No need to apologize Chaudhary jee. Had I had any control in this matter even I would like to keep myself away from women's talk. But my wife does not leave me with a choice," he joked.  

"How are you finding the stay here so far? If you need any assistance please feel free to ask," Ajaipal offered.

"I will sure do that. And I shall begin by requesting your hand in friendship."

"The pleasure is mine Malhotra sa'ab," Ajaipal shook the hand Deshbir Malhotra had extended.

(Khurana Kothi...)
(Chandigarh...)

Some wounds heal easily. Some take time.

One such wound Savitri has been nursing since the day Maan left for Sikkim.

Her pride had taken a great fall that day in Amritsar.

She is keen to get her son married. Why is that seen as a crime? If she is pressurizing the Handas a little then what is wrong in that? She is the groom's mother, doesn't she have some rights? It is the society's norm after all.

She likes Geet. She is ready to accept her the way she is. She is making no demands of her. By society's standard she is actually setting an example. She still remembers when her neighbors had gotten their son married. What all they did not demand and so much was met by the girl's family above expectations.

Education, learning...hmphhh...what does a girl do with all that after marriage? The Khuranas are so well off that even if Maan decides to leave his job; both husband and wife wouldn't need to work ever, lest Geet needs to do so.

Mohinder Handa may have aspirations for his daughters but why is he making her bear the pressure of it. Such a beautiful bride she found for her Maan but seems that it will take a while before she could call Geet her daughter-in-law.

But are the Handas interested in making Maan their son-in-law at all? So easily did they agree to Maan leaving Sikkim. Any other father would have insisted a quick marriage first. Are they holding us out for a better family?

"Savitri," Indira crooned, "what is up with you these days? I always see you so pre-occupied. Is everything alright?"

"It is Indira," Savitri dismissed Indira's concerns, "everything is fine."

"It doesn't seem so Savitri. Last weekend at my get-together too I had seen you brooding away. Even then you had dodged my questions. I shall not give up today," Indira declared.

"Just a little domestic stuff. Triffle issues," Savitri claimed.

"Triffle? A believe a son's wedding is a big matter. How can that be triffle?"

Savitri looked at Indira with eyes wide.

"I am just concerned for you Savitri," Indira hastened to cover up, "gossip travels fast after all. And is always spoken behind one's back. But I care for you therefore I have dared to speak about the matter to you directly. Maan has gotten engaged, hasn't he?"

Savitri pursed her lips tight. Pride sometimes works in the right direction too. She may not be happy with the way her husband or son treats her. But her pride would never allow her to wash the dirty linen in public. Her pride always taught her to keep matters of family within the confines of their home.

"There is nothing wrong Indira. As you said gossip travels fast. And it only does so bcause there is no weight it carries. Yes, Maan has gotten engaged. Engaged into a wonderful family," Savitri smirked with pride, "My daughter-in-law is a rare gem and the her family is worth knowing."

No no...stop thinking like you were Savitri. Your own words to Indira couldn't be truer. Handa ji is not such a man. His character is so high. Even if they are not of noble birth his character is no less noble.

But what if...

(December, 1982...)
(Gurudwara Sahib, Chandigarh...)

A man always seeks a kindered soul in the multitude he meets in his lifetime.  

Deshbir Malhotra had found one in Ajaipal Singh Khurana.

Ever since he had returned to India, he found himself lacking a sincere friend. A friend he could draw support from, a shoulder he could lean on.

In the reserved but principled Chaudhary Khurana, Deshbir found not only a friend he sought but also an insipiration to emulate.

His marriage was a bitter one. He always felt that it was because Indira and he were poles apart in their ideologies. And, thus there was never a solution to be.

But after seeing Ajaipal and the relationship he shared with his wife Savitri, Deshbir felt that maybe there is hope. That probably, after the children were all married, he and Indira could retire in peace with each other. Growing old could be better rather than bitter.

Till then, till he could bring about that change, Ajaipal had become Deshbir's sounding board for all or any matter that distressed him. Ajaipal inspired that confidence in Deshbir, to the extent that he discussed his marital woes with him, because he never judged. He would hear Deshbir rattle on with patience but never judged, either Indira for being the snob she was or him, for speaking of his wife thus.

For some reason Ajaipal's silence had endeared him to Deshbir forever. For he knew that this man offered his support in only that particular manner. The morning meetings in Gurudwara Sahib had become a complusory routine for Deshbir Malhotra now.

The morning kirtan had come to an end and both friends got up to leave for their home.

"See you tomorrow Deshbir ji," Ajaipal bade him farewell.

"Please let me offer you a ride back home. I have noticed you always walk back home," Deshbir offered back.

"It has been my morning routine for years for now. It keeps an old man like me fit."

"I insist Ajaipal ji," Deshbir urged, "just for this once. I would also like you to meet my son. By God's grace we will soon find a suitable girl for him too. There he comes..."

Deshbir pointed towards his left at the Gurudwara Sahib's porch. Ajaipal turned in the direction pointed.

A tall man of lean build in pristine white kurta came walking towards them. A calm expression and a pleasant smile adorned his face.

Suddenly the peace of the Gurudwara was disrupted by a commotion that came from the road.

A motorcycle came ragging on the road. The rider reeked of recklessness. 

Everyone of sane mind immediately moved to safety.

But a limp beggar wasn't quick enough.

Before Ajaipal could even react, a blurry of white dashed towards the beggar. The savior and saved stumbled by the force of momentum, and though safe from the furious motorcycle that sped away without regret, they fell on the pavement to the side.

"Ajaipal jee, meet my son Jaiveer Malhotra," Deshbir declared with pride.

The man in white got up and Ajaipal realized it was Deshbir's son who was just about to be introduced to him.

"You have done a good deed son. Your parents are lucky to have a son like you," Ajaipal blessed.

"It's from them that I have learnt my values Chaudhary jee," he replied while helping the beggar collect his belongings.

Ajaipal looked the young lad before him calmly, assessing his character with his experienced eyes.

"I know for sure your mother would never approve of this. She would never come forward the way you have."

Jaiveer smiled pleasantly at Ajaipal and agreed, "Yes, she wouldn't. And that is why I would."

Saying so he took his blessings from Ajaipal and left, leaving Ajaipal to reflect on his words.

Ajaipal Singh Khurana was a good judge of character. Rarely came an occasion where his judgment has been called to question. Therefore, he was glad that he met the likes of Jaiveer Malhotra in this world.

Hmm...you guys would probably find this update a little dull...but it is a must for some happy happenings in the future. 

A new entry!!! Jaiveer Malhotra. Now its upto you peeps to guess the purpose of his entry ;)

Please make sure to add this ID for PMs ... Edited by jazerettePMs - 11 years ago

Res😎
Ashu: This is for you

Edit:

I always loved this story very much. I can't pin point one single reason. Leads are the backbone of any story, yes, but this story has a special characteristic in each and every character. This story's backbone is the diversity of characters. I love each and every person here (Oh who am I kidding everyone except Rahul and his cousin whatever her name was.. rofl I forgot her name, oh yeah even Rasika)
Anyway I always get distracted, silly me!πŸ˜† So yeah as I was bakbaking, there are many persons in I-adore-a-lot list and two more are added today. Deshbir and Jaiveer.

The story you recited at the starting of the update left me speechless. Shows that the way a person is molded is in his/her hands after all. This simple fact was like a punch in the gut which made me realize how no one, not even your upbringing can be responsible for your deeds. At the end of the day it is in your hands as in what you want to become. Yaar why did you make me introspect, well that, I always do when I read this story anyway. So, my twisted point is thank you for the little story you shared here, I would always remember this <3
When Ajaipal ji recited stories and every one's reactions were showed, I felt a pinch of disappointment but the lines that followed were so true. Having one proper disciple was all that a teacher needs and Ajaipal Ji has one already, and may be there is one more who's in making.. Iqbal :)

BTW Did i just mention the mere mention of Maan made me smile? Typical. No?πŸ˜†
I am becoming a Phan gurl. *Cheers for myself*
Jaiveer Hayye I now have another couple to fawn over *cough cough* <Benefits of being friends is you do know some things before: Shows off!πŸ˜†>
I always said I like Savitri Ji too. Yes she is different but this update made me like her even more. It is not in everyone to be quiet when you know your own family is against you. Bravo!
You know when I read about Indira's thoughts about India I was wondering "Lady, one letter if taken out of your name becomes the name of the country you dislike"πŸ˜†
Well that was a stray thought, ignore me.πŸ˜†
Well you do realize I have a lot to say and say, i would next time when we speak πŸ˜†
I better say my bhawnaon directly. LMAO.
Aur waise bhi bak bak karna is my birth right!
PS: Agla update ke baad ka update jaha pe...Cough cough
*Plays BG music: Sandesa aate hain.humein tarpate hain*
Kab hain bhai? πŸ˜†

Edited by Cloud9. - 11 years ago
HiddenTruths thumbnail
is the new entry is for Iqbal πŸ˜• nice update but no maaneet πŸ˜­

Your story takes me to a place far away.  You are right, you can take an Indian out of India but not the India out of an Indian.  Loved all the new characters.  The friendship between the Malhotra and chaudhry families, one of the soul, the other on the surface; nice contrast. 

The new hero, like him already.  Iqbal is too small if I remember; defo for gollu pollu Meera?  No Maan in the story but I liked the story Darjee told Iqbal and how his one student was Maan.  So many stories that make our characters.  Like I said your story takes me to far off places where grandfathers that tell you stories at night.  Made me miss my dadaji and my childhood in India. Loved it.  Thanks for updating.
Edited by had2bu - 11 years ago
spvd thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
lo aagayi Shiku...yaar tumhe kaisa pata chal jata hai she gonna update? but well am before Aashu...
Shruti_0505 thumbnail
nice update
u updated after such a long time
Saams thumbnail
Thanx for updating .
No maaneet was a down point.But,you covered almost three households.Jaiveer seems to be a man of character.But,still dint understand why he is here.Edited by Saams - 11 years ago
Loquacious_Aash thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Meera i wud guess...tasha is such a silly me...ewww

Plus u detailed indiras liking for prestige...so i am guessing it wud be meera

Hugzz jazzyyy..long time...

Maaneet099 thumbnail
yay u updated!! lemme go read :D