I m mostly hip hop person, but can do lockin/poppin and Break dance 😊

Little bit of belly dance 😉 
And def knw Bhangra ofcourse! 
Edited by --Keenu.Gill--- - 13 years ago
hindu4lyf thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 13 years ago

Originally posted by: ankit_nyc

Yeah they have lot of navratri stuff here in New York in different school gyms etc.....but you know I still remember when I was about 8 years old and we had gone to India specifically for Navratri, and the building in Mumbai where we live is part of a society and every navratri they cover the open grounds with sand and put maata ji's murti in middle, build a mandap and every night during navratri starting at 8 PM many people from the society do garba to live music till 10 and dandia till 11 and then do aarti.......I still remember that as the best navratri thingy that I've been to....and it wasn't just our society that did this, many societies at that time did that....but now I think sadly with all the new rules about noise control and stuff it doesn't happen as often in mumbai anymore.......😛

It's basically the same over here-school gyms and local community halls. I used to really enjoy Dandiya till a couple of years back when all of a sudden a LOT more people started coming so now there is basically no space to breathe in a VERY large hall, let alone trying to move! lol
What part of Mumbai are you from Ankit? I love how so many of us on this forum come from Mumbai😛I can imagine how much fun it would've been celebrating Navratri in Mumbai. Mum used to tell me stories about how they'd even go to the building's rooftop and play over there too😆I'd also love it if just once in my life I could celebrate Ganesha Chaturthi in Mumbai. Every time I go, I always leave like one week before it starts and so I always miss out

Navratri is still a big thing in Mumbai but maybe not as big as it was 10-20 years ago. In fact this year Obama was visiting India near Diwali time so there were a lot of police roaming the street to ensure no-one was making too much noise and that people weren't playing with fireworks late at night/early morning so that kinda sucks.
ankit_nyc thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago

Originally posted by: hindu4lyf

It's basically the same over here-school gyms and local community halls. I used to really enjoy Dandiya till a couple of years back when all of a sudden a LOT more people started coming so now there is basically no space to breathe in a VERY large hall, let alone trying to move! lol
What part of Mumbai are you from Ankit? I love how so many of us on this forum come from Mumbai😛I can imagine how much fun it would've been celebrating Navratri in Mumbai. Mum used to tell me stories about how they'd even go to the building's rooftop and play over there too😆I'd also love it if just once in my life I could celebrate Ganesha Chaturthi in Mumbai. Every time I go, I always leave like one week before it starts and so I always miss out

Navratri is still a big thing in Mumbai but maybe not as big as it was 10-20 years ago. In fact this year Obama was visiting India near Diwali time so there were a lot of police roaming the street to ensure no-one was making too much noise and that people weren't playing with fireworks late at night/early morning so that kinda sucks.

Tongue ahhhhh mumbai.........We are from kandivali.........Tongue yeah the festivals are definitely better celebrated in India, mumbai........Ganesh Chaturthi, arey there is the "laal baag ganpati" where there is like a giant line.......My cousins tell me people wait for hours and hours just for darshan..........I know what you mean, the only holidays I get to celebrate in India is Makarsakranti sometimes because it usually falls in January closer to new year's vacation.........Tongue My cousin had come to our place a while back and he couldn't believe that the terrace in our building was locked.....😃 The best I could do for him was take him to central park where some chinese guy was selling dragon kites......Tongue